[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people like her so much? Genuinely confused. Am I the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 10

File: msmarvel-5-var-b695c.jpg (182KB, 900x1430px) Image search: [Google]
msmarvel-5-var-b695c.jpg
182KB, 900x1430px
Why do people like her so much? Genuinely confused. Am I the only one not completely infatuated with her character?
>>
People USED to, until Marvel badly mishandled the one good diversity character they had.
>>
I liked her first run, even bought her action figure.
She's largely been ruined by team books, events and editorial push though.
Spider-Man is famous because he was smalltime for about 20 years before he started getting involved in big shit. He had time to build a rogue's gallery, a sidecast and a history.
>>
>>91715495
>the one good diversity character they had.
The fuck does this even mean? Shut the fuck up
>>
>>91715437
We liked the small time rookie, not the forced Avenger mouthpiece
>>
File: 35.jpg (942KB, 1177x3705px) Image search: [Google]
35.jpg
942KB, 1177x3705px
>>91715437
no one likes her. it was a meme. MUH muslim. pic related.
>>
>>91715495
Was wondering, since in every issue I've read of her (team books) she's only seemed like an obnoxious teenager obsessed with fanfiction and making current media references, or overly self-righteous.

I hear this is just in team books though and that her solo isn't so bad?
>>
>>91715529
Spider-Man was interesting and eventually a phenomenon because Parker was really different from a lot of other contemporary superheroes, being focused on making rent, his failure of a love life, etc. He represented a different set of concerns than many of his contemporary characters.

Diversity character, theoretically, should mean doing that but for right now. Most authors just make the character a perfect Mary Sue that superficially references a hot button issue for Tumblr brownie points. What instead they should be doing is thinking about the things that matter to people nowadays and make a character based on that. Kamala was that for a good two minutes before getting turned into pure tumblr bait, while before she only had superficial tumblr trappings.
>>
She was charming at first but I think Marvel and Wilson have played their hand with Kamala and they've already run out of the momentum that they initially had with her. She needs a major person in her life to die or something to make her interesting again.
>>
>>91715582
She tends get flanderized in team books, which overplay comic book geek part of her character, and often turn it in her only defining trait.
>>
>>91715540
This.

I like my low level teen heros.

>>91715582
Champions is terrible. She does have social issues in her comic but it comes off as more real and less preachy than Champions. The characters fight and disagree about stuff instead of everyone having the same opinions.

I have seen a lot of salt recently about her villains not having enough weight but I liked it that way. I don't think every comic has to be world saving.
>>
>>91715437
Her book is alright but overrated. As far as /co/ is concerned she had the blessing of showing up getting liked here before all the things that eat new characters alive for. She was around before the big legacy boom, so no hate for that. She doesn't get hate for being Inhuman like Mosaic and Moon girl do despite actually having more involvement with Royal family than either of them. She doesn't get it for being preachy even though the inventor arc was a villain bitching about millennials, and Kaboom was a very unsubtle radical muslim allegory. Waid and champions gets shit for "my fellow kids" stuff even though willow does the same, like the dodge meme in the wolvering arc, damn near ever other line the arc that just ended including fighting with memes and Leroy Jenkins.

:tldr She isn't as good as people say does a lot of things people bitch about other characters doing.
>>
All it would take is another arc with Alphona on art and people would be back on board. She's had too many fill in artists that have made her whole book generic as fuck.
>>
>>91715616
Pretty much this, and she needs rogues, the only villains Wilson has brought back beyond their first arc is Kaboom and the Canadian Ninja. Only the joke villains. Luckily Betty is coming back, pretty funny since /co/ complains so much about that arc and how it killed the sales.

>>91715732
She has yet another artist coming up
>>
>>91715732
This, Alphona defined the first run with his phenomenal art. The current run is boring with it's art.
>>
Because she had a cute personality and a character that didn't revolve around her race.
>>
>>91715732
This. I remember the storytime threads where people would be identifying little Easter eggs and jokes in the background. I miss those...

Does Alphona even WANT to do the book anymore? His art was half of Kamala's charm in the first place.
>>
Marvel takes her for granted now that she's established. They're forgetting what actually made people like her in the first place.
>>
>>91715802
>>91715874
Meh I like Miyazawa. I don't even think the other one I can remember for the Wolverine arc was bad.

Alphona quit comics for a while before he came back for this book so maybe he just comes and goes.
>>
File: 1453477013576.png (213KB, 800x850px) Image search: [Google]
1453477013576.png
213KB, 800x850px
>>91715437
>Why do people like her so much?
She is cute and she used to have decent stories
>>
>>91715667
I'd take "obnoxious fangirl" Kamala over "insufferable socjus mouthpiece" Kamala any day of the week.
>>
Because first she reminded /co/ of their little sister. Then Marvel made you want to fuck her. That's when the problems started.
>>
File: Ms._Marvel.jpg (228KB, 628x953px) Image search: [Google]
Ms._Marvel.jpg
228KB, 628x953px
>>91715437
She has the classic Spiderman vibe, but uses it in a way that's unique to her.

>>91715495
Also this. Marvel realized she was successful, at which point they decided to PUT HER ON THE MAIN TEAM OF AVENGERS (which is retarded both in-universe and out), which means she is now a part of every shitty crossover event they go through and is given little room to grow as a character herself as a result. She's gone through oversaturation and numerous shitty writers as opposed to the one writer that was actually doing a good job of building her up. Now, she's another victim of the Bendis effect.
>>
Willow is a shitty writer but Kamala has a great character design
I agree with you OP

>>91715610
you're retarded, Kamala has been Tumblr-tier since day 1
>>
>>91715752
>Wilson has brought back beyond their first arc is Kaboom and the Canadian Ninja.
>Canadian Ninja
Now that should be a superhero idea. We need more characters that are Canuck besides Slade and Logan.

Fuck sakes, the most well known "Canadian" hero is only known for being first openly gay super.
>>
all quirky characters should be shot
>>
>Why do people like her so much
Brown waifu. Reasonably well constructed supporting cast.

>>91716076
>She has the classic Spiderman vibe, but uses it in a way that's unique to her.

I wouldn't call it unique. It's the exact playbook that McDuffee used in Milestone most famously with Static. But it's a hell of a lot more compelling than the other quirky modern urbanite girl books that are flooding the market like pouches in the 90's.

>>91715752
I agree. She needs a defining villan the most. But getting the tone right is not going to be easy.

>>91715529
Means good character from the recent diversity push.
>>
File: absolutely-halal-1227329.png (131KB, 500x522px) Image search: [Google]
absolutely-halal-1227329.png
131KB, 500x522px
>>91715437
>>
File: 1333861306418.png (40KB, 392x200px) Image search: [Google]
1333861306418.png
40KB, 392x200px
>>91716076
>She's gone through oversaturation and numerous shitty writers as opposed to the one writer that was actually doing a good job of building her up.
>>
File: 1483794928895.jpg (344KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1483794928895.jpg
344KB, 1000x1000px
>tfw the only thing you are looking forward to in regards to Kamala is her playing straight man to Karnak's crazyness
>>
>>91716375
Having read classic Static, it leans more towards Champions than Ms. Marvel.
>>
>>91715437
Waifufags. She was always an obnoxious piece of shit.
>>
>>91716105
Even better.
Canadian anarcho nationalists.
In crocs.
>>
>>91716454
Really? The summer arc will see the return of Lockdown.
I'm kinda hype.
>>
>>91716502
>tfw no comic about killing Trudeau and making Canada great again
>>
>>91716502
>in crocs
TRULY IRREDEEMABLE VILLAINS
>>
>>91716528
Carol's Civil War II tie in had that
>>
>>91715667
She's horrible in Champions.
>>
>>91716576
With rubber-shoed ninjas?
>>
>>91716576
They probably showed trudeau as good, though.

Media loves that shitheel.
>>
>>91715987
But I like adorkable raid leader Kamala best.
She canonically wears the headband from Karate Kid.
>>
>>91716523
I like Becky, but it kinda sounds exactly the second Kamran arc, from the revenge to kidnapping Aamir. I need to see what Becky is like with no Carol backing, and I hope she didn't drop the justice stuff and go full villain.
>>
>>91716614
We will see. I don't think we will see it play out the same way. Wilson cannot be that lazy.
I just hope she doesn’t go full MAGA.
That would be cheap.
>>
She's still fine, people are horribly overreacting. She just isn't on some amazing groundbreaking run right now.

People don't go "man what happened to Batman" when he has a billion and a half shit runs.
>>
>>91715437
>Why do people like her so much
brown waifu
politically correct
underage
d*sney
>>
>>91715437
I feel the same way about the two minority green lanterns OP.
>>
>>91716594
It was a Trudeau expy/politician from Canada who was manipulating Carol and Alpha Flight into self destructing

Carol just ended up beating him up
>>
She was fun and kind of refreshing at first, but eh, it feels like they don't know what to do with her.
>>
>>91715495
I like her even more now
>>
File: Wicked Warden.jpg (252KB, 789x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Wicked Warden.jpg
252KB, 789x1200px
>>91716643

Kamala was a fan of Idealized Yaas Queen Carol, while Becky seemed to be a fan of Memetic Oppressive Fascist Carol.

Maybe they'll do something with that, provided she still gives a shit about brow-nosing Danvers and making Kamala look bad (probably not).

Or maybe they'll just have her somehow take over Hope Yards now that Faustus is gone.
>>
>>91716839
Swerve idea. Nobody gives a fuck about carol, so after her movie fails, make Carol do a heel turn.
>>
>>91717442
>after her movie fails
>implying anything can stop the MCU movie train

If Guardians and Ant-Man and Dr. Strange didn't fail, Carol won't either
>>
>>91715437
Easy... you can chew her clit while watching Netflix or other shit and she issnt even in the room
>>
>>91715519
>for about 20 years

Nigga we don't have time for this nowadays.
>>
>>91717472
Worst case, Carol becomes a new kind of shit.
Best case, we get a Carol who is actually not shit for once.
>>
>>91717442
>carol
Who? seriously who?
>>
>>91715437
[drinking coffee on the porch of my mountain house]
[ the birds are chirping loudly, and I thumb over the sports section.]
[I smile slightly at the daffodils that have sprung up, finally after a long malaise of winter spring has arrived]
[suddenly feel the calling from the pit of my stomach]
[open my laptop and see Kamala thread]
[I know what must be done]

I WANT TO KISS KAMALA!!!!
>>
File: 1475113802407.jpg (56KB, 494x700px) Image search: [Google]
1475113802407.jpg
56KB, 494x700px
>>91717972
>rock at work today
>come home
>see this weirdo
ME TOO!
>>
>>91715437
I never understood the attraction to her. The one comic early on where she's flipping out about meeting wolverine in a sewer using all the hippest teen lingo and acting like a fan girl.

It was horrible, horrible writing and this was back from when she USED to be a good a good character, supposedly.
>>
>>91715437
Got the first few volumes. Enjoyed it up until she was suddenly on a dozen different teams, rather than being a local hero. Like, it seems they pushed her to be on some sort of team way too fast. Didn't even let her survive on her own as a character.
>>
>>91715529
It means that despite being obviously created for the purpose of "muh diversity!" she was initially a good character with a good book anyway

Problem was Marvel wasn't willing to let her stay street level and build her up naturally until someday she could maybe be in the big leagues. They saw she was popular so they immediately crammed in fucking everything, meaning more shitty writers got to use her in shitty events.

Oh well, at least she's still cute.
>>
File: 509690978.jpg (38KB, 407x612px) Image search: [Google]
509690978.jpg
38KB, 407x612px
>>91715437
selfinserted idiots should be fired and their characters removed
>>
>>91715437
You might be gay.
>>
>>91719624
"Oh oh Wolverine, my fanfic about you was rated five stars on fanfiction.net"

And this is the "well-written Kamala"
>>
>>91715437

>Why do people like her so much?

Her initial run was just "ok" super hero comic with admittedly fresh point of view. Art was Tumblr-tier but still not as shitty as majority of all the other Diversity Hero-comic books with godawful art.

She was simply "ok" with nothing major to complain about. Her being a brown loli made her waifu-material for many. And thats pretty much why people like her. Her run was just ok with no serious dips in quality, which is more than what can be said of Whor, Riri, Miles, Champions, and what other cancelled diversity abortions there were.
>>
Soon all the new Marvel shit that nobody likes, like the half docen of Wolverines Chulk Kamala and Morales will end just like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tvAjX5ACPo
>>
>>91716584
Because Champions is horrible. Kamala is great.
>>
>>91719881
So no Frank Miller, no Stan Lee, basically you want to remove 3/5 of every comic creator who ever lived?
>>
>>91719624
fanboys and waifufags, same reason that they make excuses for her.

>waid uses dumb outdate lingo "how do you do my fellow kids"
>wilson does "it's fine that's the character"

>any book lower than 30k its garbage and Marvel should stop trying
>Kamala sells that its the fauly everybody in the world besides the writer and character and isn't even that bad

>character X is being shoved down our throats
>People pretend Kamala isn't being pushed super hard
>>
>>91720071
Only Jack Kirby selfinsert can stay, all the others to the trash they go
>>
>>91715437
Sounds like you have shit taste.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.