[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Final thoughts on this? I thought it was a masterpiece. Best

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: Providence01-Portrait-600x927.jpg (139KB, 600x927px) Image search: [Google]
Providence01-Portrait-600x927.jpg
139KB, 600x927px
Final thoughts on this?

I thought it was a masterpiece. Best thing Moore as done in a long time
>>
>>91585556
It was pretty great, I fucking hated it during my first read but I came back and started noticing all the subtext which accounts for like 50% of the story
>>
>>91585556
Gave me endless enjoyment.

Especially that rapist fishman. He needs to be a meme.
>>
>>91586187
oofff Neonomicon was garbage. Providence more than made up for it though.
>>
File: 1484161916756.jpg (548KB, 1354x898px) Image search: [Google]
1484161916756.jpg
548KB, 1354x898px
>>91585556
Agreed. The final issue was just insane, and the storytime on here was incredible. I'm certain I appreciated/understood less than 10% of everything in it though. Need to get more involved with Lovecraft and come back to it in a few years in the collected format (if they do the collected format, fingers crossed)

pic unrelated
>>
Complete collection when?
>>
I loved this series and desperately want an omnibus. This is one of the few things I've read that caused a really visceral reaction. The pacing is perfect and it hit me just right.
>>
>>91585556
EVERYTHING else Moore did in the last 10 years is one of the worst comics ever made. All this had to do to be "the best thing Moore has done in a long time" was not be one of the worst comics ever made.
>>
I need to reread it, because I think I’m missing something other people caught on.
I do think it’s clever, and it’s really unnerving at times, but I can’t call it a masterpiece, because, I dunno, it just kind feels like “League of Extraordinary Gentlemen” with a coat of Lovecraft thrown on. Sometimes I couldn’t get into the story because I was too busy being reminded of preexisting novels, “oh this is from dunwich horror oh this is insmouth, oh this is the colour from outer space oh that character is that one other character”.
And I get that was the point, all myths are true and the lovecraftian apocalypse happens, but I still, dunno, left me kinda cold.
>>
>>91585556
I don't care enough about Lovecraft to give this a chance.
>>
>>91587812
>EVERYTHING else Moore did in the last 10 years is one of the worst comics ever made.
Holy fuck you have shit taste. Any random capeshit book is much worse you retard.
>>
>>91587843
I barely know anything about him and was able to enjoy it. Of course I'm assuming if you have an encyclopedic knowledge of his work you'll probably have a deeper appreciation of it.
>>
I would so love to follow the characters at the end and see how they make their way into the world in its ending state. Fucking great final issue.
>>
>>91586540
Neonomicon was _________________perfectly fine__________________

its only sins were completely missing Lovecraft's tone, which I think was pretty much done on purpose. The characters themselves discuss how subtle and veiled HPL's allusions to sex and depravity were, which makes Neonomicon's harsh explicitness very appropriate in contrast. It's also probably more fitting for a modern day HPL story.

Did the rape thing feel somewhat comical? Again, it was the point. It's all so brash and sudden, which makes it perfectly understandable for you to find the whole situation both horrifying and ridiculous.

Fight me now, if you wish.

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOORD
>>
>>91587996
>the world in its ending

It's BEGINNING, anon
>>
File: PSST HEY KIDS.png (254KB, 566x533px) Image search: [Google]
PSST HEY KIDS.png
254KB, 566x533px
>>91587829
the book's companion site will give you everything you need to fully appreciate the thing in the annotations pages.
https://factsprovidence.wordpress.com/

it's sickeningly thorough.
>>
>>91588258
truuuuue
>>
File: my penis is happy.jpg (14KB, 139x302px) Image search: [Google]
my penis is happy.jpg
14KB, 139x302px
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/avatarpress/providence-the-art-book-and-complete-slipcase-set
>>
File: this is you.gif (4MB, 630x354px) Image search: [Google]
this is you.gif
4MB, 630x354px
>>91587951
>>
>>91588365
You just cost me 129 bucks plus freight, motherfucker.

Thanks.
>>
I don't think it's an understatement to call it the best piece of Lovecraftian fiction I've ever read.
>>
>>91591230
Same here. Well worth it though.
>>
>>91587812
No his Nemo comics were still good, even when LOEG wen downhill
>>
>>91587829
I don't disagree with the LOEG comparison, because that's pretty much what it rides on, in terms of construction. But with LOEG I think it overextended itself. With Providence, it really has the ability to zero in and focus all the way through.

I was left cold as well, because I think we've all become expectant, even with Lovecraft's stories, of something coming to stall the inevitable. So when confronted with the inevitable, at last, it is a deflation.
>>
>>91588365
So it includes all three Acts, a full Cover/Convention Art Book, and the Courtyard/Neonomicon Hardcover.

I really hope they don't do an omnibus that has something "exclusive" after this, cause this is perfect packaging.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.