[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Co/ characters with great potential, but ended up being

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 17

File: image.jpg (127KB, 1280x595px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
127KB, 1280x595px
ITT: Co/ characters with great potential, but ended up being disappointments
>>
there's no /co/ character that reaches Gohan's level of disappointment, though.
>>
>>91534898
You sure
>>
File: nyeh.jpg (43KB, 540x534px)
nyeh.jpg
43KB, 540x534px
>>91534898
this meme right here
>>
>>91534973

I fondly remember the days when all three of these bitches were hype-worthy. What happened, Sugar?
>>
>>91534973
>>91535021
People were disappointed they didn't match the established headcanon.
>>
>>91535021
Steven and his hippy ways happened.
>>
File: IMG_0757.jpg (284KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0757.jpg
284KB, 1920x1080px
>>91534865
This bitch was pretty disappointing
>>
File: Dreadwing.png (180KB, 634x338px) Image search: [Google]
Dreadwing.png
180KB, 634x338px
you could probably point to a lot of Prime characters as being guilty, but Dreadwing was th eone that bugged me the most
>>
Just fuck him and his fanbase who overhyped him to high heaven.
What a boring villain. To call him "underwhelming" and "disappointing" would be a great understatement.
>>
File: 1489719775023.gif (492KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1489719775023.gif
492KB, 500x281px
>>91534865
Do pairs count?
Can't remember the last time these two did anything that didn't involve at least one of them playing third wheel to Bubblegum, Simon or some other third party...
>>
>>91534865
Gohan isnt that interesting thoe
>>
>>91534898
I like the fact that the disappointment in Gohan was so palpable that there was a VAST number of DBZ fans who refused to acknowledge the Buu saga solely because Gohan lost fucking every ounce of kino he had gotten by the end of the Cell saga.
>>
>>91535232
He was after Cell, briefly.
>>
>>91535245
>Kino

Quit trying to force this meme, /tv/
>>
Karkat.
>>
>>91535253
All he was a slightly smarter goku
>>
File: Where is your cartoon, shitlord.jpg (718KB, 4082x4082px) Image search: [Google]
Where is your cartoon, shitlord.jpg
718KB, 4082x4082px
Mabel
Wendy
Ford
>>
>>91534865
>great potential
> Gohan

kek
>>
File: 2867503-hqdefault.jpg (40KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
2867503-hqdefault.jpg
40KB, 480x360px
>>91535311
Goku was never this much fun
>>
>>91535311
Which makes him a perfect successor as the guardian of Earth, since he would have enough common sense to not do stupid-ass things like let the bad guy heal just for "a good fight".
>>
>>91535311
Goku "gohan: kill cell before he try something"
Gohan "no need for this"
cell kill goku
>>
File: Mabel-pines.png (59KB, 300x350px) Image search: [Google]
Mabel-pines.png
59KB, 300x350px
>>
>>91535458
>>91535478
I never fucking understood Goku's rationale at all.

>doesn't hesitate to kill Tamborine to avenge Krillin
>doesn't hesitate to kill King Piccolo to avenge Master Roshi and Chaotsu
>helps Piccolo kill Raditz, this time the villain didn't even kill anyone
>But now I must spare Nappa and Vegeta even though they killed basically everyone
>And I will also spare Frieza even though he killed a whole planet
>But now I changed my mind again, Gohan, kill Cell, I encourage it
>>
pretty much every marvel character in the last fifteen years that had potential
>>
>>91535067
They tried to make her a badass but just gave her "dreamworks face" instead of any admirable characteristics.
>>
>>91535458
>>91535597
There's a huge difference between manga Goku and anime Goku; manga version was more selfish while anime version was more heroic.
Naturally, this collided in the actual story.
>>
>>91535387
that's in the movie after goku took this spotlight gohan wasn't this fun when he was the star
>>
File: Ronnie_Anne_in_tears.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Ronnie_Anne_in_tears.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>91535021
Zuke and forced Korra level femslash shipping by tumblr.
>>
I'd say the court of owls is a good example. tons of build up, hype, cool premise, and a big mystery. gets taken out fairly easily and doesn't really do much. if it wasn't for capullo's art Snyder's run would have been really forgettable
>>
>>91534865
Finn. He also became a cuck.
>>
>>91535387
>he never watched OG Dragonball
>>
>>91534865
>Snippets of Z hint at Gohan having a potential far beyond everyone else
>Cell Saga happens
>Goku's dead, Vegeta quits, Trunks leaves, the other fighters essentially call it quits, and Gohan takes the mantle of savior of the planet with power fully realized
>Buu Saga happens
>Gohan's an idiot who doesn't train worth a shit, and Goku and Vegeta take the spotlight again

I'll never not be disappointed.
>>
>>91535597
To be fair, Nappa was never going to walk again. I think he might have even been quadrapelegic when Goku was done with him.
Also, Goku must have thought he killed Frieza after "YOU FOOL!"
>>
>>91536309
>Also, Goku must have thought he killed Frieza after "YOU FOOL!"

Probably, but think about his intention. He WAS going to walk away, having given Frieza a power up, and let Frieza survive in spite of all the shit he did.

The final blow was more of a reflex reaction/last straw thing than Goku actually planning to kill Frieza.
>>
>>91536309
>>91535597
Goku lets people live simply because he likes to fight strong guys. If someone gives him a tough fight, why kill them? They could come back, train more, and even give him a better fight!

Super is kind of pushing this fucked mentality to the limit, with the potential destruction of multiple universes from the tournament Goku got Zeno to hold.
>>
>>91536262
Blame the fans at the time for wanting Goku and Vegeta to come back. I think the original intention was for Gohan, Goten, Kid Trunks and Videl to become the new main characters. Could've been why Toriyama gave up and ended the series after Buu.
>>
>>91536395
Frieza had one arm and no legs.
I don't think Goku would have ever expected to have a satisfying rematch with him.
>>
>>91535224
this hurts my soul they were so good together
>>
>>91535597
Goku let Vegeta go because he wanted him for a good fight. Nappa was lying motionless. Goku almost never attacks someone when they are down. Even against Tamborine he didn't finish him off until Tamborine retaliated after the first assault. And he was going to leave Freeza for dead before he started begging for forgiveness. Neither Tamborine or King Piccolo did that, and its arguable Goku spared him because he secretly wanted to fight Freeza again because of how strong he was.
>>
Kamala Khan.
>>
>>91535067
Huge disappointment. I remember when folks thought we'd get something as good as ATLA with a healthy side of musclegirl smut.
>>
>>91535597
Raditz was trying to force Goku into killing innocents by taking his son hostage
>>
File: beckett.jpg (80KB, 600x800px)
beckett.jpg
80KB, 600x800px
>>91536597
>Blame the fans at the time for wanting Goku and Vegeta to come back.

Fanboys on both sides of the pond truly do ruin everything. The western dbz fanbase is still my go to definition for terrible fandoms. There is/was so much fanon being pushed as canon info because of miss translations, intentional misinformation from those crappy beckett magazines, and from crappy youtube powerlevel videos that its almost impossible to talk about the series.

>>91535067
Korra was a mistake, Who thought it was a good idea to make a entire series banking on the shipping wars that plagued ATLA.
>>
>>91534865
I can't think of characters but S4 of The Boondocks should count.
>>
>>91536395

To be fair to Goku, he had no idea that would happen and Zeno was going to destroy them anyway at some point.

Im more confused as to why he and Gohan are so adamant on not telling anyone the stakes. Since that's obviously not going to leave the rest of the team happy when they find out.
>>
>>91538516
>intentional misinformation from those crappy beckett magazines

>be me
>know that the Beckett Magazines are full of shit
>thumb through one during a break when I worked at a Blockbuster Video
>Read an article about how the English voices all changed in the US, but in CANADA they got to keep all the original voices like Scott McNeil and Brian Drummond and they're still playing the characters in the show
>Scoff at it and assume it was Beckett making up more bullshit
>10 years later
>You Tube proves that Beckett was right

The ONE TIME they say something correct, I didn't fucking believe it.
>>
>>91535527
/thread
>>
>>91535067
Korras problem was she had to follow up Aangs legacy. He was pretty much the perfect avatar
>>
>>91536395
>Goku lets people live simply because he likes to fight strong guys. If someone gives him a tough fight, why kill them? They could come back, train more, and even give him a better fight!
I know Toriyama said it's just a Saiyan thing, but the only other pureblood Saiyans we've seen don't have this weird mentality. Like Vegeta letting Cell absorb 18 was less about "I want a good fight!" and more about humiliating Cell and boosting his own ego, not that he actually wanted Cell to be a more worthy adversary.
>>
> /co/ characters with great potential
> everybody talking about chinese cartoon
>>
>>91539225
I didn't know that LOK and GF were anime.
Nor that anime was Chinese.
>>
>>91539161
I think he specifically says he wants to test he limits of his new powers

So it was about having a better fight. It just blew up in his face
>>
Chances Gohan unlocks his HIDDEN POTENTIAL for the 20th time and gets a massive power boost but STILL manages to job at the tournament?
>>
>>91535173
yet he was the best thing of Jessica Jones
really gets your cocount rollin
>>
>>91535067

You might not like the show much but Korra literally beat up Spirit Satan, she's not a disappointment as an Avatar, she does the job.
>>
>>91538887
>Perfect Avatar
>Disappeared for a hundred years
>>
Miles Morales
>>
>>91539256
He has a point in that most of the conversation is about Dragon Ball.

Also this:>>91539732

He has enough to stand on his own but he's never given the opportunity. Hopefully that animated movie changes that.
>>
>>91537276

Kamala is a classic case of a book being ruined by endless event tie ins that the reader base for the book really did not care about.
>>
>>91536667
I mean, Goku kind of is buds with Piccolo, who can totally grow old parts back.

Even Goku's tail has come and gone back a few times, so I don't know if that thought would cross him.
>>
>>91538838
YTV was weird with airing the dubs
>air Ocean dub up until Goku vs Burter and Jeice
>hiatus for God knows how long
>Suddenly, Funimation dub
>Get half way through the Cell Games
>Suddenly, back to the original voices, and with music from the old Mega Man cartoon for some reason

I've never understood it.

For years, I believed that the Ocean dub just stopped existing during the Ginyu Saga
But then it came back and I was like "why doesn't YTV just be consistent with one dub?"
>>
>>>/a/
>>
>>91539545
Didn't she like... cause that in the first place?
>>
>>91539703
That wasn't his fault, unless you think he caused the storm himself. There is no indication he wouldn't have returned if he had been able to.
>>
>>91541691
>Goku vs Cell while Super Fighting Robot plays in the background
>>
>>91535041
This basically.
>>
>>91539703
He would have died if he stayed at the temple.
>>
File: Dr._Wily_vs_Dr._Gero.png (1MB, 937x528px) Image search: [Google]
Dr._Wily_vs_Dr._Gero.png
1MB, 937x528px
>>91542088
>same person
>>
>>91539545
>killed literally every prior Avatar spirit, including Aang
>>
>>91539883
My big problem was that whenever Miles had a potentially interesting plot thread (like his uncle being Ultimate Prowler or being conflicted over his dad's hatred of capes or not really wanting to be Spider-Man), it got cut off before it could really get interesting.
>>
Gohan is wasted talent
>>
>DBZ on /co/
This will never be okay.
>>
>>91536395
>with the potential destruction of multiple universes from the tournament Goku got Zeno to hold.

He didn't know that would happen.In fact when the Grand Priest told them he flat out said "Maybe i should go to Zen and talk about this?" Whis and Beerus told him not to.

He couldn't throw the match against Bergamo because then Zen-oh would have destroyed them all. Present Zen-oh knows just how strong Goku is because he saw the fight against Hit. They pretty much have no choice but to ride it out now and hope it can be fixed later.

Vados even said that he technically gave the universes a shot at surviving instead of all of them being nuked without a chance to save themselves at any notice.

>>91538817
>Im more confused as to why he and Gohan are so adamant on not telling anyone the stakes. Since that's obviously not going to leave the rest of the team happy when they find out.

Dramatic tension. Beerus backed them up in that decision as well.
>>
>>91534865
leave my husband out of this
>>
>>91542500
I want to like him. But I never get the chance to.
>>
>>91542500
>>91544175
It's mostly Bendis' fault, but I do remember Miles' stories constantly getting preempted by fucktarded events. And nothing's changed, except the most recent fucktarded event combined both reasons Miles sucks by being written by Bendis.
>>
>>91535224
>they hardly even interact anymore

Fucking burn it all to the ground.
>>
>>91534898
I am sure there are plenty /a/ characters and series that are worse than Gohan. Heard of Hayate no Gotoku? This whole series is so terrible it is already a new low, can't get any lower.
>>
>>91538065
those were such innocent days
>>
>>91535333
Gravity falls is wasted potential. It was supposed to get another season, but he couldn't take the stress
>>
>>91536667
Yeah, I saw Goku letting Frieza live as almost a "fuck you" to Frieza. He'd have to live with how he lost everything to those he looked down on the most. He failed to a disgusting monkey filth, and in that loss he gave the winning blow to himself.
I always thought it was just Goku giving him a fate worse than death.
>>
>>91539161
Vegeta did it for his ego, but he thought he'd do it by beating a more worthy opponent.
>>
File: goku-confused.jpg (37KB, 542x542px)
goku-confused.jpg
37KB, 542x542px
>>91536667
Wait... you mean not everybody can get Senzu Beans? Doesn't Frieza have a little cat friend who grows magic beans? I thought that was how people are supposed to get strong...
>>
>>91542500

Having early success is a massive double edged sword for new characters it seems, you don't get canceled in 12 issues but you DO end up getting shoved into event after event that preempt the storylines of your own book.

>>91543980

Yeah I know it's for drama, but it's still obviously gonna blow up in their face. Vegeta and 18 are already suspicious.
>>
>>91535387
Why couldn't we stay with Saiyaman longer? That was a great shtick

>>91543636
Get out, normie
>>
>>91534865
So Gohan looking more and more like Yamcha is intentional, right? Not only is he a cuck personality-wise, but he has to look like one too now?
>>
>>91549797
Except Yamcha is good because now he's purely comedy relief.
>>
File: 1369405616883.jpg (318KB, 600x664px)
1369405616883.jpg
318KB, 600x664px
>>91534898
>Be J'onn
>Lose fire weakness
>Attacked by Z-listers with fire powers
>Ultimately killed by fire powers.
>>
There is no greater failure than Apocalypse. He had Celestial tech and thousands of years to do what he needed to do. And yet he still fails. Never mind the fact that he attempted to drown Namor with water of all things.
>>
>>91549771

I really enjoyed the two episode mini arc around Saiyaman Super did recently, some people hate the concept but I love Gohan as like this cheesey nerd... who is also super Buff and one of the strongest in the universe.
>>
>>91549797

Gohan has been aping Yamcha's hair styles since like the freaking Android Saga.
>>
>>91539500
Nah. He was as terrible as the rest of the show.
>>
>>91549771
I've seen everything DragonBall up to what's currently on Toonami. Watched OG on Hulu, but haven't seen Z except for Kai on Toonami. I fucking love the Great Saiyaman. Does he not keep it up? That's super lame.
I'm sad now. At least he gets best girl. To bad about her becoming lame.
>>
>>91549873
Yamcha is the greatest.
>>
>>91535311
You know what, anon? In a show full of absolute mongs like Vegeta who risk the destruction of the world for the sake of their own ego and literal retards like fucking Goku letting said mongs live and many other genocidal aliens live so he can fucking fight them, 'slightly smarter Goku' was a big fucking refresher, on paper the concept might not seem that interesting to you but sometimes people like and just want a logical, level-headed, no nonsense protagonist who does what they're supposed to do if it's necessary, even if they don't want to, like Gohan did a lot of the time.
>>
>>91553410
>sometimes people like and just want a logical, level-headed, no nonsense protagonist who does what they're supposed to do if it's necessary, even if they don't want to, like Trunks did a lot of the time.
FIFY.
Gohan fucked around and got his dad and almost everyone else killed.
Thread posts: 98
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.