[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

(pic semi-related, CN is my goal but what I'm saying applies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: Cartoon_Network_2010_logo.svg.png (53KB, 1594x954px) Image search: [Google]
Cartoon_Network_2010_logo.svg.png
53KB, 1594x954px
(pic semi-related, CN is my goal but what I'm saying applies to almost any network)

My dream is to get into the animation industry and get my own cartoon show, but the steps needed are very brutal.

1. If you don't already have connections with someone in the animation industry, getting a job - let alone pitching your own cartoon - is very difficult.
2. If you're lucky enough to get the opportunity to pitch your idea, chances of it being accepted are very low.
3. In the unlikely event your idea does get accepted, the chances of it being greenlit for a full series is very low.
4. What's more? If your idea doesn't get greenlit, you've already lost the rights to it, so that series bible you spent years on is wasted on a mere 8-minute short.
>>
>>91526480
I doubt the 4th is true
>>
>>91526500
I know that during the time of the What-a-Cartoon show, if a short wasn't greenlight, the rights would revert back to the creator after a few years. I don't think that's still true though.
>>
On the other hand, it's the easiest it's ever been to self-publish.
>>
File: 147171743282587.gif (85KB, 400x574px) Image search: [Google]
147171743282587.gif
85KB, 400x574px
>>91526480
1: References.
lurk more and get to know people here mate.
2: Know who you want to market to. Don't make something over the top to a company where click bait views are the norm. Again, utilize those connections. You'll be surprised nowadays with what you can get away with, if you are a little bit charismatic
3. True, but that is why you do marketing research and study the audience of who you are presenting it to.
4. Not true at all, how these things work is you put forward a pitch, with an animation. If the review board likes it, they'll okay a pilot and test drive it. If the pilot goes nowhere as per the test audience then the pilot belongs belongs to the studio, however you still retain creator rights. Some studios are even nice enough to tell you "Okay, change this, that and this and we'll give it another shot." It really depends on you and your flexibility. Don't go into this with a 500 page encyclopedia of lore and character development. Come with an idea, a story, and an animation. Its being a salesperson for your own work, if you don't think you can do that, use your connections to do it for you. Also if you want to do something really special for the sake of yourself, then do it for yourself. Animation channels and blogs are big nowadays with more and more creators stepping up and making a community for themselves. Make a pilot and run it by yourself, if the internet likes it then you have a benchmark to actually go forward to studios to present. Even if the internet doesn't like it, do it for yourself so you can be proud of it.

Good luck in all you do mate, hope to see your work in the future.
>>
>>91526788
The problem with self-published cartoons is that they're incredibly unlikely to have cultural impact or be remembered in 20 years. An episode of a cartoon on TV can get more than a million US viewers on its first airing. A viral video on YouTube is lucky to get one million total worldwide views.
>>
>>91526970
>If the pilot goes nowhere as per the test audience then the pilot belongs belongs to the studio, however you still retain creator rights.
OP here, I actually didn't know that, so thanks for the information. Just out of curiosity, do you know any examples of someone not having their pilot greenlit but continuing to produce independently (or pitching to another network)? I just need to be sure.

I've thought about making a mini series on YouTube (once I have the funds - I have a plan for how I intend to do that) and using it as leverage, but I'm having second thoughts because my idea is aimed at kids, whereas most YouTube viewers will be adults and teenagers.

One other thing... if I am lucky enough to get a pitch meeting, I'm concerned about the fact my voice sounds unpleasant, and that might put people off.
>>
>>91527006

>"i don't actually want to make things, I just want attention"

Well then you don't deserve a cartoon.
>>
>>91527116
I'm not the OP or someone who's planning to make a cartoon. I was just pointing out facts. I wouldn't want to spend an enormous amount of time and money on something that will only get a few views.
>>
File: JGu0O0B.png (1MB, 640x900px) Image search: [Google]
JGu0O0B.png
1MB, 640x900px
>>91527114
Adventure Time was pitched originally to Nickelodeon.

As per the audience, kids shows are fine as long they are approachable to the parents of the kids. Adventure Time technically is a "kids show" but it has enough to be enjoyed by everyone. Keep in mind that adults are just grown up kids who have to wear uncomfortable clothes and do taxes.

Just don't Age 6 and below on Youtube unless you are trying to milk that cow in the flooded field of cows.

Make something approachable for 7-13, with enough references or writing style that appeals to older folk and adults. You know, things that "fly over kids heads"

Either use that to your advantage, or have someone present for you. There have been stranger pitches than :Guy with the unpleasing voice." I mean for Christ's sake if Justin Roiland and has a job in voice acting, then I'm sure you'll be fine. If your voice is screeching rip own nipples off that the studio has to take a drink from their totally soda and not anything mixed in it cup, then I'd suggest you have someone present for or with you.

Hope it was helpful OP, again good luck and don't get discouraged! Always try your best and make yourself the person you want to make proud.
>>
>>91527284
Thanks for the information! My idea is still years away from beginning production, but I'm more confident knowing that I won't be required to permanently give away the rights for just a short. Just one more thing... do you (or anyone reading this) know any examples of a show getting greenlit based on Internet fame (besides the Annoying Orange, which was greenlit at a time of desperation)? If I can be sure the YouTube method has the possibility of working, I'll try it when the time comes.
>>
>>91527443
Steven Universe.
and that was from someone who browsed /co/. But that was a long time ago.
>>
>>91526970
>>91527284
Not the OP, but I'm guessing you work for a network, so I have a few questions. Sorry if it gets annoying, but when else will I get the opportunity to talk to someone with inside knowledge?

What skills/degrees (other than the obvious "have a good pitch") are necessary to be able to pitch your own animated show? I assume animation would be one, but I'm more interested in the design side than the animation process.

Is it absolutely necessary to have previously worked in the animation industry, or would having a popular web series be enough?

Also, how much control does the creator lose over a series if it gets accepted? Would they be forced to change the art or writing style to fit with the rest of the network?
>>
File: 1484556979580.jpg (1MB, 901x729px) Image search: [Google]
1484556979580.jpg
1MB, 901x729px
>>91527546
I'm just a regular Anon browsing /co/ just like you and everyone else who comes here and likes to have discussions about comics and cartoons.

Skills/degrees in animation aren't really about the title but rather
A: The people you met along the way.
B: What you learned along the way.
What you are able to deliver is your resume, but knowing someone helps. If you want to be more knowledgeable about the audience and market, I'd recommend taking some business strategy courses, like "Marketing, Statistics, etc." but that's only really something for yourself and not a requirement.

When it comes to character design, you would have better luck working with previous projects, rather coming to the studio with a portfolio. Unless your portfolio is absolutely something style defining or astonishing

With animation itself, it all really depends on what YOU have and HOW you present it. Yeah, its always helpful to be a part of previous projects, but if you are strong/confident to stand on your own, then by all means do so.

As per surrender of creative use, this is something that is contracted with the studio. Some studios are flexible with show creators, some are very strict. Again, this is something that needs to be explored and talked about before presenting a pitch. Remember, you can pick and choose who you want to present to, so don't think "Oh well studio x denied me, so I'll never get aired." This simply isn't true. But also don't say "Well I'll rule out studio y because they are too constricting."

In the end it all comes down to you and your delivery of what you have to present. You can walk away at any time before you sign your name. Once you've done that though, then you really can't outside of being cheeky and throwing in hidden digs in your stuff.

Cheers to you, and good luck!

If you are ever looking for design work, lurk around different art related boards. or just open a portfolio on Tumblr.
>>
>>91526480
Becoming a successful artist is hard.

Have a backup job.
>>
I have an idea for a cartoon about three gay-acting 10 year old boys. They believe walking to the toilet is a waste of time, so they just pee their pants whenever they need to go.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.