[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people get so upset over Batman using guns and/or killing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: sdgghjj.jpg (14KB, 313x350px) Image search: [Google]
sdgghjj.jpg
14KB, 313x350px
Why do people get so upset over Batman using guns and/or killing people when its always been a part of the character and hes killed people in nearly every incarnation?
>>
Because at a certain point (specifically, Batman #4, 1940) it was decided Batman would give up both killing and the use of firearms

The fact is, Batman has been gun-less longer than he was armed, and considering most people have only been exposed to the "no guns" Batman, that's the most popular interpretation.
>>
>>91500549
And from his first appearance he hated taking human lives.
>>
It also makes the most sense in terms of character:

Bruce Wayne hates crime because it took his family away from him, a gun was the instrument that caused him so much grief. It's been rationalized he would have a natural aversion to guns.
>>
>>91500770
Not really. Police forces carry guns. Cops carry guns.
Guns are a deterrent.
>>
>>91500958
I think the thing is that killing isn't very heroic in most people's eyes.
>>
>>91501037
Every cop and military movie disagrees with you.
>>
>>91501064
A vigilante who kills people isn't a hero, they're a murderer. It's tiny nitpicks that add up to a general distaste to people.
>>
>>91499776
Because The Dark Knight was a really popular movie and normies took the MUH ONE RULE line way too much to heart.
>>
>>91501095
What about Dirty Harry? He was acting a lot like a vigilante, but he's a hero.
>>
>>91500958
Found the republican
>>
>>91501162
Because Harry Callahan is a cop, he works outside the lines sometimes but he is ultimately a badge and even fights vigilantes in some films. He also is the embodiment of brute force, using other people to solve problems threats and assault cannot whereas Batman is just as smart as he is strong.
God I need to watch the Dirty Harry movies again.
>>
File: Batman259-06.jpg (126KB, 510x755px) Image search: [Google]
Batman259-06.jpg
126KB, 510x755px
>>91499776
Because it goes agaisnt his entire backstory and what makes the character interesting.
The killing rule is pretty arbitrary and it's been broken, but it's a substantial part of Batman that he doesn't kill on purpose. He will beat the shit out of you, even more than he has to, but he does not kill. If he does kill, it's out of character (not that Batman is a consistent character). It can work if you set up your story in a way that killing does not become out of character, but as a rule, Batman does not kill. It's the one thing that keeps him grounded in heroism, and, as pointed out before, the one thing that he and Superman have in common. This shouldn't be hard to understand.
And I don't think it should even really be explained why putting a gun on the hands of a character who has a pathological hatred of guns is out of character.
>>
>>91500958
Most cops don't have backstories where their parents are shot and killed.

>>91501064
Most cops don't even fire their guns. There are quite a few officers who go their entire career without pulling the trigger in a scene.
>>
>>91501423
I know, that's why I said movies. America tends to put cops and military men on a heroic pedestal.
>>
>>91501379
>the one thing that he and Superman have in common.

>not saving people
>not wearing costumes
>>
File: supermanbatman.png (384KB, 650x248px) Image search: [Google]
supermanbatman.png
384KB, 650x248px
>>91501461
I was referencing this panel but here's your (You)
>>
>>91500958
and Batman has missles and guns on the batmobiles

He doesn't use a handgun, not that a big deal
>>
It's cooler that way, to see him fight with his bat themed gadgets and making the effort of not killing anyone.
>>
>>91500549
i distinctly remember seeing him kill after issue #4 though, robin too
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.