[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the essential Flash? I'm sure there must be a recommendation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: 1488493195527.jpg (2MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
1488493195527.jpg
2MB, 1988x3056px
What is the essential Flash? I'm sure there must be a recommendation picture with the legendary storylines and runs.

I will read pretty much anything from any age as long as it's easy to find online. Always been a Spiderfag with some supes here and there and some smaller and I missed on Flash but I think he's really cool.
>>
>>91456470
Best runs are by Waid, Morrison and Johns
>>
>>91456530
Ok, thanks.
>>
>>91456530
It there a character Morrison has written that he isn't that characters best run?
>>
>>91456677
I can't think of one.
>>
Barry Allen:
>Gardner Fox
>Cary Bates
>Geoff Johns
>Francis Manapul/Brian Buccelatto

Wally West:
>Mike Baron
>Bill Messner-Loebs
>Mark Waid
>Geoff Johns

If you like the show the current Josh Williamson run is OK.

Something you should keep in mind is that, unlike Spider-Man, the Flash is all about being really ridiculously overpowered, but the key to good Flash work is making great feats for him and making things still very challenging to him.

However, Bates, Baron, and Messner-Loebs are notable for having him be less powerful and a focus on more Spider-Man-esque personal stories about balancing his superhero and personal life. Baron and BML are somewhat controversial amongst Flash fans for making Wally kind of an asshole. During that era he won the lottery and became really wealthy, then lost it all due to hubris and celebrity. He also came out with his secret identity and became a kind of superhero celebrity.

Waid took a lot of influence from Gardner Fox's Silver Age work, focusing on the legacy of the Flash, expanding his powers, and making a "Flash Family", and pretty much defined Wally's character to this day.

Born to Run AKA Year One is considered THE definitive Flash story and serves as an introduction to Waid's run.

>>91456677
Morrison's Flash is not even close to the best and honestly is more Millar than Morrison.

His Swamp Thing sucks, though again that's more Millar than him.

His WildStorm work sucks.
>>
>>91456470
You can find all of them online.

Mark Waid and Geoff Johns Wally West runs are considered to be the epitome of Flash stories.
>>
>>91457388
Thanks for the detailed answer. So Flash #1 (1987) a good starting point right? I'm the guy who likes reading everything so I don't like skipping to the most famous stories.

I'll read Barry Allen stories later.
>>
>>91457388
The Return of Barry Allen is the definitive Flash story. Born to Run is just the best origin.
>>
>>91457578
Actually, strangely enough, Flash #62 (the start of Born to Run and Waid's run) is the best place to start because it retells Wally's origin and will catch you up on the Flash's history. #1 is the start of Baron's run and starts after Barry's death, and therefore after Wally's entire history with Barry, Iris, the Teen Titans, etc.

Like I said Baron and BML are kind of contentious among fans, so IMO Waid is the better place to start because it's almost universally agreed to be the best Flash run.

You COULD start with #1, but you'd be just as much in the middle of things as if you'd started after Born to Run.

I suppose you could read Born to Run and THEN start with Baron's run, but again I recommend just jumping into Waid's and checking Wiki if you have any confusion about what's happened previously.
>>
>>91457965
Yeah I'm kinda lost reading it.

>I can't run at light speed anymore
>People still calling him Kid Flash

I'll read his origin and then see what I do from there.
>>
File: Flash 091-14.jpg (304KB, 913x1400px) Image search: [Google]
Flash 091-14.jpg
304KB, 913x1400px
>>91457965

The issue where Wally first uses the Speed Force equation has my absolute favorite conversation about super heroics.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.