[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In storytelling a classic and one of the best, methods of developing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: aku.gif (650KB, 500x324px) Image search: [Google]
aku.gif
650KB, 500x324px
In storytelling a classic and one of the best, methods of developing character is the confrontation with the shadow. You see this a LOT in comics but the shadow confrontation is basically when a character encounters another who is a representation of all of the repressed desires of the protagonist, or is basically the opposite of the character, while also having a connection with the protagonist.

That's what's happening with Samurai Jack's new season, it's loaded with shadow imagery because the original series was too. Ashi is the shadow of Jack. Their connection is that they both became who they are because of Aku. You can see this in the way Ashi dresses, she's got jet black clothing. They've got that one connection but they're still totally opposed with Jack being totally against Aku and Ashi being totally slaved to Aku. So shut the fuck up about Ashi being annoying and detrimental to the story because she's serving the purpose that Aku used to.
>>
>>91415063
Everybody who isn't an autist already knows that. Jack met and/or fought a foil/parallel of himself all the fucking time in the old episodes.

Scotsman is a foil, Thief was a foil, the fucking Guardian was a foil.

Inverting some of Jacks characteristics and making a character to play off of him is one of Tartakovsky's oldest plays. Only idiots don't get it.
>>
>>91415063
I say best, it's probably more like easiest, actually
>>
>>91415234
Doesn't make it good desu
>>
>>91415234
He even did this in Clone Wars with Ventress. Both of them were great pilots and strong force users. Both of them used extremely an extremely aggressive and athletic combat style. Anakin was being groomed against his will to be Palpatine's ultimate apprentice and become a Sith without realizing it, Ventress was a disposable tool whose motivation to become Sith was a lie. Anakin showed compassion to his troops, Ventress disposes of clones in an absolutely sadistic way. Anakin was brave in combat but a coward in wilpower, Ventress was fearless in willpower but a coward in combat.
>>
>>91415305
It does if the foil is a well-written character. Ashi... isn't.
>>
>>91415063
>she's serving the purpose that Aku used to
but i want aku to serve that purpose.
>>
>>91415504
Her character is barren so far. The only real moment of development was at the end of this episode. So, saying she's poorly written isn't very fair. We'll have to see how it develops.
>>
Can the people who aren't happy with the new season so far just come out and admit they wouldn't be happy with anything? Seriously no matter what Tartakosvky did you would be bitching. You people probably hate every cartoon that comes out no matter what.

I'm sure some of you will say that you wanted it to be like classic Samurai Jack, but if that had happened you'd be here bitching that they played it too safe.
>>
File: Fixed.png (2MB, 1520x2160px) Image search: [Google]
Fixed.png
2MB, 1520x2160px
>>91415063
Why does /co/ have to hate everything?
>>
>>91415746
Some people aren't able to separate personal expectation with objective quality. Others mistake nitpicking for valid criticism.
>>
>>91415635
"Barren" and "poorly-written" are synonyms when talking about characters with that much screentime
>>
>>91415746
because people have opinions, you dipshit
>>
>>91415824
No, they aren't. Why don't you read a book before spouting nonsense.
>>
>>91415948
Just replace "screentime" with a more appropriate word and my statement works for books too. I'm not sure what you're getting at here.
>>
>>91415999
What I'm getting at is that your statement is retarded. I'm telling you to open up a book because you clearly have no clue what constitutes good writing, or lack thereof.

The fact that you had trouble interpreting my post speaks volumes towards your frustration at a character as inoffensive as Ashe has been so far.
>>
>>91415781
>objective quality
>>
>>91416124
Your point?
>>
>>91416164
You don't know what that word means. There's no such thing as objective quality.
>>
>>91415063
Cliche symbolism
>>
>>91416085
No, YOU have no clue what constitutes good writing, anon of low standards. Go get a clue.

It's people like you who enable this to begin with.
>>
>>91415063
Wasn't there a episode in one of the original seasons where jack fought a being that was literally the embodiment of his inner anger
>>
>>91417953
Yes. It's a fan favorite, as is all the 1st season I think.
>>
File: Yin Yang Twins.png (2MB, 1920x1098px) Image search: [Google]
Yin Yang Twins.png
2MB, 1920x1098px
>>91415063
Aku redemption arc confirmed.
>>
>>91415899
>opinions
>hating things because other people like them

???
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.