[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is he right? Is Steven Universe only being seen as going dow

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 197
Thread images: 29

File: IMG_2818.png (226KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2818.png
226KB, 800x800px
Is he right? Is Steven Universe only being seen as going down hill is because of the way it's airing?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=9G31EBznDwk
>>
>>91408008
Can't watch at the moment but yeah that seems like a good gist of the situation. The bomb format shit is dumb and I wish CN had never gotten it into their head and at the same time all they ever air for massive amounts of channel space is TTGO, it's a problem for more than just SU.
>>
>>91408008
Partially. There have been some writing slumps since Season 3 but nothing too distractig, but Season 4 has been atrocious in terms of pacing. Even the SOL episodes suck more than usual.
>>
No. Writing and general artistic talent declined.
Like people can meme about Calarts but a lot of the locations and sound design was great.

I don't really know how to describe it, but the settings were just filled with a sense of lighthearted adventure. It was just going to cool places and fucking around with ancient Gem shit. No barn or making Steven some fucking authority on feelings for autistic lesbians.
>>
>>91408877
Yeah, it wasn't until the video gave a summary of what happened in the different seasons of the show before I realized that I honestly stopped caring about half-way through season 2.

They went full-on with the drama, and most of it felt forced and shallow. The foreshadowing and subtle lore building in S1 had completely disappeared by the end of S2 (probably earlier). Instead of "here's a statue, ooh, what could it mean, you'll see later" SU has taken the "plot will happen when we need it to happen, linearly"

I'm...I don't know, a little let down, but it's really my fault at this point for getting my hopes up.
>>
>>91408049
No
>>
>>91408877
This is exactly why it feels worse now. Because at first, it was fun gem adventures and Steven was a goofball. The episodes had good pacing, too. Now nothing happens in an episode and Steven cries or is otherwise overly dramatic for 90% of it. I'd rather have one well-written serious episode per season than a season full of "serious" dick-teases and episodes like Onion Gang.
>>
Yes, if they never aired episodes with Peridot, the perception of things would be better.
>>
>>91408008
As someone who only recently started watching the show and marathoned up to where the show's currently up to, no. You can see a definite dip in quality as seasons go on.
>>
>>91408877
I hate the barn so much. I hate the barn's redesign even more.
>>
>>91412919
Lol
>>
>>91413099
Same. The show is pretty much seperated into 3 sections right now: the barn, townies, and stuff with the main gems. And rarely theres ever any overlap between those 3 anymore
Which I think makes things frustrating
>>
SU's quality seems to only be lackluster in the writing and consistency. You can't say that aivi/surasshu and Steven Sugar aren't doing their jobs well.
>>
>>91414791
Werent Ben and Matt the writers on the show? I wonder if things will get better or worse now that they both left to go make their own cartoon
>>
It seems like they were going to end the show sooner but then they saw the popularity and decided to stretch the show out as much as they possibly can with shitty fillers just to make it run longer
>>
File: 1469684558593.png (497KB, 850x742px) Image search: [Google]
1469684558593.png
497KB, 850x742px
>>91408008
I can't watch it atm since I'm at work, but frankly the Stevenbomb format is the most mind numbingly retarded idea that I've ever heard of. The end of each one basically feels like a season finale to some degree, so if I like it or not part of my mind is going to treat it as as such. This means that at the end of each bomb, we get a normal episode with too many exactions for it, causing disappointment.
They're also airing the same number of episodes a year as a show that has new weekly episodes with a break every now an again. The main difference being that a show that airs weekly will keep peoples interest since new episodes are coming in at a steady pace. After a bomb interest dies down until a new one is released.
Some of the episodes are kind of preachy. The episode with Carl from Aquateen especially. It makes the writers come across as smug, like they think everyone who questions their choices acts like Carl.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2017-04-09-04h52m16s073.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2017-04-09-04h52m16s073.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>91408877
>first season has cool locations and beautiful shots
>later seasons has lame, repetitive, boring looking locations and everything looks generic.
That is a problem of a lot of cartoons. Not only SU. The first season of Gumball had some god tier locations and the world was beautiful. The world is lame as fuck now.
>>
>>91408008
there is no need to advertise this retard's videos.
>>
>>91408877

Yeah, pretty much

I recently rewatched Mirror Gem and Ocean Gem, and they were just so much better than most of the newer episodes.

The animation, the music, the characterizations.

Now, the early seasons weren't perfect, and we do get good episodes ("Mindful Education," the recent Diamond arc, "Storm in the Room" come to mind).

But still, that sense of wonder, of awe, of mystery...it's pretty much gone now, as are some of the more engaging aspects of the characters. Now it seems like half the time we get episodes devoted to characters in which the same issues are rehashed over and over and over.

Expecting the worst but hoping for the best in S5.
>>
>>91415235
Like what in Gumball? That series isn't known for its varied locations, it mostly takes place at the house, school or neighborhood.
>>
>>91415762
Like the picture on my post
>>
File: latest-43.png (402KB, 648x383px) Image search: [Google]
latest-43.png
402KB, 648x383px
>>91415235
I feel like latelt with SU we've been mainly stuck in the town with townies or we are at the barn again. Not much else has been visited lately

And im so tired of that barn at this point
>>
>>91408008
>drawn avatar in video
fucking christ nothing turns me off a Youtuber faster
>>
File: Gumball - The picnic.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Gumball - The picnic.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>91416165
The barn was a mistake. Lapis and Peridot not living in the temple with Steven is fucking stupid.
>>
>>91416424
Lapis and Peridot living in the temple would wreck the status quo, which despite what people would tell you the show does have.
>>
>>91416481

But would upsetting the status quo really be a bad thing? The show seems like it's stagnated quite a bit.
>>
>>91408008
No, the quality has suffered, an episode the last season couldn't be compared to most episodes in season 2. The plot has suffered, jokes and the characters.
>>
Maybe the writing has declined, or maybe you all have finally realized that Rebecca Sugar never had the deep long term plans you all thought she had.
>>
>>91416581
Upsetting the status quo is a bad thing. A bad thing for the SU crew. They suck at writing.
>>
>>91416581
I'm not saying it's bad, but at this point the show is definitely committed to a status quo
>>
>>91416424
>>91416581
That would be a bad idea. Peridot and Lapis are secondary characters, and it's the same reason why Connie and Greg wouldn't ever live at the barn.

They would have too many characters they need to juggle with as the show follows Steven and he lives in the temple.

They only have 11 minutes per episode.
>>
>>91416757
I agree with sentiment but this show sticks to a status quo to a fault, let's take a look at a few characters

>Connie is consistently left behind on missions despite being fully trained and in possession of Rose's Sword

>On that note, their relationship will never progress because then you'd have to watch the whole show

>Greg never improves his or Steven's quality of life despite becoming a multi-millionaire because that would be confusing

>Lion fucks off for multiple episodes at a time because kids might not know who he is
>>
>>91416757

That's a valid argument, and I will concede that.

But at the same time, they spent so long gathering up these new gems and they've barely done anything

Peridot had her redemption arc, helped take out the Cluster, went on one mission with the gems, took out Jasper, and then....nothing.

Lapis had an even redemption shorter arc, bopped Jasper a good one, and has not gone on a single mission.

It's like they're cursed to just sit on the sidelines and do nothing but serve as shipper fuel.
>>
>>91408008
He makes a good point, but he needs to learn how to write and script, and how to talk. Something about the way that guy talks is annoying as fuck.
>>
File: 1468540840453.png (677KB, 720x994px) Image search: [Google]
1468540840453.png
677KB, 720x994px
>>91416581
You can't break the status quo without establishing a status quo.

Despite the cynicism the status quo now is a lot different than the beginning of the season. But each new iteration of the status quo needs to be settled and established, otherwise breaking it would be meaningless.

Lapis breaking away from Malachite and living on the barn is a new status quo. She has to be there for a while before moving her anywhere else, otherwise it'd just be a bunch of stuff happening without any meaning. Like if she was emotional about leaving the barn, we'd have less reason to care than we would if we spent a season establishing the status quo of "Lapis is on a barn".
>>
>>91415235
Lapis and Peridot were a fucking mistake.

Lapis was only good back when she was a Damsel in Distress who was our first look at different Gems, and once Peridot became a shitty meme Dorito the show was irreversibly damaged. I can only hope that the inevitable revival and redemption of Jasper happens soon so I can stop watching.
>>
Airing schedule definitely doesn't help it's perception. If a bad episode airs with messed up proportions, or we get a shitty townie episode and it's the only thing we are left with for months at a time, it leaves everyone with a sour taste in their mouth and it doesn't make the show look good since there's no good episodes to balance out your bad episode the following week.
>>
>People building up to much hype between episodes/bombs
Never thought I'd hear someone not like a hype building up in their show.
Also, start having episodes from Peridot's or Lapis' POV, that way they wouldn't seem so seperated and we might actually learn new shit about them
>>
>>91417010
>that pic

fuckin hell that's hilarious. Was the artist the same or almost the same art style?
>>
File: vlcsnap-2017-01-03-02h36m25s613.png (349KB, 848x482px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2017-01-03-02h36m25s613.png
349KB, 848x482px
I don't know, maybe. I don't have a problem with the show. The Zoo bomb was great.
>>
>>91417314
Yeah, it was good. But that's because they're writing in favor of the bomb format now because that's what CN wants.

So all their interesting ideas are being bunched up together and then they have no idea what to do with all the spare episodes.
>>
>>91417314
Zoo Bomb was good because the episodes were pretty damn great. Patti LuPone is a treasure.
>>
File: 1489620058270.gif (2MB, 450x253px) Image search: [Google]
1489620058270.gif
2MB, 450x253px
>>91408008
it's being seen as going down hill for the same reason AT started seeming to go "down hill" - people on the internet have shit taste.

>>91408877
case in point. this is exactly the kind of stupid shit people said about early at.
>>
>>91417247

Well, it's the fact that the payoff (almost) never makes up for the hype. The most egregious example of this was the In Too Deep event (I think that's what it was called). Everyone got hyped up with the promise of finding out what the Crystal Gems "really are" and getting absolutely nothing. Zilch. Nada.

As for your second point, I'm kind of torn. The show's insistence on being shown entirely from Steven's point of view is interesting and actually pretty cool, but it has major drawbacks - mostly deriving from the fact that other characters get left out. I would enjoy it if we had a few episodes from another character's POV without the "it's a story being told to Steven" framing device.
>>
>>91417314
The Zoo Bomb was great because it was a series of 5 episodes with a point and a lot of plot moving forward.

... Then as soon as they're over, we get nothing for several episodes... and then one of the Rubies finally shows up and steals back their ship.
>>
>>91417433
I like saying her name.
>>
>>91417413
Ther was actually a thread about this awhile back. CN's logic is that SU is more plot heavy than its other shows and airing them one at a time won't bring in viewers. People trying to give SU a shot won't know what is going on So they group SU episodes together, specifically the episodes that move the plot along. The inconsequential episodes are just aired whenever.
>>
>>91408008
Gotta disagree with him about Rocknaldo not being hated if it was aired before the Zoo Arc.

It was an absolute waste of an episode that could have been a side interaction in a different episode enitrely.

Hell, the only possibility of anything to come out of it is the "Gems in the Blood" thing, which people think is about Lion... but might be about how the Townies stay relevant in whatever finale happens.
>>
File: tmp_29388-1491579790458245594996.png (596KB, 1000x1172px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_29388-1491579790458245594996.png
596KB, 1000x1172px
>>91416911
Talk about being underutilized. Its even sadder when you remember that Peridot is supposed to be like Zim. An egocentric blowhard who somehow succeeds.

At least with Rick and Morty, every character ends up getting utilized at some point.
>>
File: 1426905239274.jpg (8KB, 226x166px) Image search: [Google]
1426905239274.jpg
8KB, 226x166px
So I haven't continued watching since that time Steven survived getting bubbled into space.

How many seasons do we have now and what was this Onion gang episode I kept hearing about?
>>
>>91418336
i dont like your tone sir, just google it.
>>
>>91418926
I want opinions of Onion gang.
>>
>>91418336
>>91419032
it was an "Steven is a 14 years old teenager but acts like a 5 years old retard baby" episode
>>
>>91408008
>lets blame the broadcast
>not the writing , the same rehash episodes , the same characters that never change , the fact that show is just SOL garbage
>>
>>91419032
I had no strong feelings one way or the other
>>
>>91419148
So, he acts like most 14 year olds?
>>
>>91419153
to be fair, it's both

the show has declined a bit

but you can't deny that CN's scheduling is retard tier, even ignoring SU
>>
>>91408008
no, because of story consistency just Adventure Time
>>
>>91417314
The zoo bomb started out great but it lost momentum the longer it went on. All the great tension that it started with was all sucked dry. Holly Blue is the worst villain on the show, even most monster of the week corrupted gems were more memorable than her. The plot didn't move forward either and now the show is stuck in townie limbo.
>>
it was a tv show about a fat kid slowly learning about how to use his powers and finding out about all the gem stuff his 'aunts' wanted to protect him from

then it became just full on lesbian shipping and bad comedy with bad art (when the art was the top merit for it early on) and character designs going to hell with characters ending up half their original height

I like season 1 for the most part but everything past that has been garbage, it needs to be cancelled so they can try it again with another hopeful product
>>
>>91416911
I love how Greg becoming a millionaire resulted in a boat and a vacation

Both of which could have just been him renting a boat and winning a vacation

The whole millionaire reward feels like a cop out to add to his character. In reality it's just made it worse. The guy doesn't do anything with the money:
>>
>>91419248
He's older than Aang, Dipper, the fucking Elric brothers, and the same age as Katara, Star Butterfly, Marco, and Azula.

The guy is mentally stunted to the point of child abuse.
>>
>>91420568

Because money is evil and doesn't buy happiness.
>>
Pretty much every character in the show ends up regressing into a one note characture. I remember when Peridot was one of the best characters in the show who was conflicted about her loyalty to her home planet and her friendship with Steven. Now she's just an annoying gremlin.
>>
>>91420726
The "money is evil" theme is so fucking overused

People with a shitload of money can do a lot of good for the world.
>>
>>91420797
Remember when Lapis said Homeworld was terrifying because it was so technologically advanced? Remember how Peridot is the only character with massive knowledge of Homeworld, literally the fucking engineer?

Well fuck that, she's been flanderized because our writers are top notch. Wait what do you mean CN won't air our show?
>>
File: tumblr_oj9vf6p5L11sd1xkuo1_1280.png (144KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oj9vf6p5L11sd1xkuo1_1280.png
144KB, 900x1200px
>>91420502
HOLLY ISN'T A VILLAIN! REEEEEEEE
>>
File: 1399528548531.jpg (140KB, 550x673px) Image search: [Google]
1399528548531.jpg
140KB, 550x673px
>>91420604
Yes because when it comes to children acting their age, fucking anime protagonists are what you should look at.
>>
>>91419248
>a 14 years old hanging out with little childrens
>"he acts like most 14 year olds"
Kill yourself, SUfag
>>
>>91420921
I love how you skipped over everything else

Also he's old enough to be part of the teen titans
>>
>>91420938
And yet he's the most immature of the group
>>
>>91416911
Connie being absent with no explanation is really annoying
>>
>>91420938

I'm an SUfag, but I agree that if they want to have Steven as a teenager, they should have him at least act a bit more like a teenager more often

It's not terribly bad most of the time, but when he has teddy bears and acts real effete it's a little hard to ignore
>>
>>91408008
The schedule certainly isn't helping anything but Season 4 only has 7 (5 of which are the Zoo arc) episodes so far that are good to decent, the rest are shit
>>
>>91408008
>Someone on /sug/ made the exact comment about quality and airing format
>Now it's a video

Stop shilling yourself for fucks sake
>>
>>91421207
The lion episode was so bad

>no funny
>Steven stressed the entire episode
>gems absent at with no explanation
>more crying
>somehow doesn't understand his mom had a name picked out in case he was a girl
>literal message is "you have no purpose, we had no plans for you"
>didn't even try to make it a good happy theme like "you can do anything! You control your own destiny!"

I mean it kind of makes sense because his dad's a piece of shit and her mother failed to secure piece for earth and got a shitload of people to die
>>
>>91420604

Not to nerd out but the Elrics's ages change depending on whatever part of their quest they were telling. Look at Ed's collar to determine what age he and his bro are
>>
>>91420604
He is older than Gumball
>>
>>91417440
Bait. Adventure Time's art and setting style remained consistent if not improved.

The writing took a noticeable hit after S3 and even more after Sugar left.
Flame Princess remains trash 4ever.
Steven Universe also has an actual core plot to finish to the actual final judgement on writing remains to be seen.

They handled Malachite worse than they handled the Cluster, honestly.
>>
>>91408008
We barely see the gems interact with each other anymore; Lapis and Peri got an entire episode with Connie and rather than do something fun they just pretended to be the other gems to put out some incredibly thing message.
Since the story/world moves at a glacial pace, gem interactions kept the show afloat, or missions kept people entertained. But the last time there was an actual mission was with Peridot's road runner schtick a while ago. And we still don't have many answers or a clear end-goal despite there being a good amount of setup for that.
Like jesus dick let Amy + Lapis or Garnet/Peri dick around for another episode. Or have the townies actually meet Lapis/Peri instead of that abortion of an episode with ronaldo. Fuck where's that not-Rose girl for pearl too? Just more sad rose stuff.
>>
>>91420797
Remember when Connie was a lonely little girl who had to constantly worry about being a burden or boring to Steven? Now she's just perfect in every way when the show remembers she exists.
>>
>>91423119
I have this sneaking suspicion that the Crewniverse only planned out a few arcs for each character and just ad-lib everything in between
>>
>>91423119
>Fuck where's that not-Rose girl for pearl too?
>actually wanting more of that shit
Fuck off to tumblr
>>
>>91408008
Nope, nope, NOPE, another vanilla apologetic faggot who tries hard at not being vanilla.

I prefer this guy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9G31EBznDwk
>>
I just started watching the show, is it split into 10-minute episodes forever or is it specific to early seasons or what
>>
>>91424412
>"That guy's a faggot, watch this guys video instead"
>posts the exact same video as the OP
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>91424568
Forever except the Thanksgiving special
>>
>>91424843
That is rather annoying but not a deal breaker at all. Thank you anon
>>
>>91408008
Well, when they air a single episode every three months you're forced to sit with a stinker for a long time. It wouldn't surprise me if this made the show seem much worse that it really is. It's much easier to deal with a shit episode when there's always next week.
>>
>>91424843
>>91424897
Bismuth is double length too.
>>
the storyboarders are to blame
>>
>>91420893
I cant wait Holly to eventually get shattered by her diamond
Or better yet, the diamond she admires most YD
>>
>>91424412
D-did you mean to post the same video or?
>>
>>91420604
Fucking this. In the hands of a better writer, Steven would make a excellent Peter Pan-like figure. He's forever damned to remain a child while Connie, Ronaldo, and fucking Lars grow up into adulthood. But not just physically, mentally as well. I mean just look at how he and Connie are drifting apart as time goes on. She no longer wants to be a autistic seven year old all the time, she's hitting puberty and is losing interest in Steven in favor of children her age like Kevin.

But our fat autist? He's exactly the same as he was at the beginning of the series. If he ever got removed from his shitty family he'd get torn apart in the outside world for being a stunted midget automaton autist. Could you imagine tubby getting sent to a foster family in a shithole like Derry? Bowers would have field day with the fat fuck.

But to be fair? The same would happen to Dipper, Marko, Star, Gumball, and to some extent Lincoln.
>>
steven should prepare for invasion of home world , which come in army size of 100 to 1000 , but he just goofing off from season 2 to season 4 , know nothing about pink diamond and other diamond .
>>
File: 1490497436963.jpg (134KB, 900x1010px) Image search: [Google]
1490497436963.jpg
134KB, 900x1010px
>>91421820
Ed grows alot at a span of two years too.
>>
>>91420938
Steven lives in a small town, he's friends with whatever kids live there.
>>
>>91426117
yeah but it's weird that the fry kid's more mature than him.

Then again his older brother probably deters him from being the immature one.
>>
>>91408158
came here to post this
>>
>>91424412
Lol wut
>>
>>91420812
Not to mention literally nobody in poverty thinks they're better for it. Inb4monks
>>
>>91408008
It's part of it, I lose interest having to wait so long and then realizing its another fucking townie episode.
>>
File: Peridot-steven-universe.jpg (24KB, 640x361px) Image search: [Google]
Peridot-steven-universe.jpg
24KB, 640x361px
>>91417067
>Lapis and Peridot were a fucking mistake
Early Peridot was the most interesting and entertaining gem in SU history. Her interactions with Steven were the best Steven/gem interactions. Pre Zuke Lapis was really interesting too.
>>
>>91428410
This.
Zuke pretty much purposely sabotaged the development of two best gems on the show, and then they ended up stuck in the barn, doomed to be an occasional goofy plot device.
Like townies, but even more pointless.
>>
>>91428410
I actually shipped Peridot and Steven because they're complete opposites of each other. Steven showed her mercy and she had to learn earth through him.
>>
>>91408008
The problem is that season 4 hasn't been that good overall. The airing schedule wouldn't matter otherwise.

There's like three really good episodes but the rest are at best just okay.
>>
>>91428696
>implying is was not Rebecca's fault
She dislike Peridot because she isn't her design. She got mad at her popularity. Peridot was too good for this shitty show
>>
>>91429032
suck a dick and kill yourself zuke.
>>
File: 1384840862981.gif (946KB, 300x100px) Image search: [Google]
1384840862981.gif
946KB, 300x100px
>>
>>91429320
I NEED THIS FUCKING BANNER
>>
File: 1384841195330.gif (656KB, 300x100px) Image search: [Google]
1384841195330.gif
656KB, 300x100px
>>91429389
>>
>>91429032
Who designed Peridot?
>>
>>91429140
>being a Rebeccafag
Rebecca is as bad as the rest of the SU crew.
>>
>>91408877
>It was just going to cool places and fucking around with ancient Gem shit. No barn or making Steven some fucking authority on feelings for autistic lesbians.

this, so much this. I loved early season 1 because it felt so fresh and alien. it had a sort of magic to it, like nothing we've watched before. but then it got to around second half season 2 and that magic just sorta dissipated. I compare it to MLP: FiM a lot because it had the same magic I mentioned before, but once the writers realized what they had, they got cocky and kept milking out what people liked about the early episodes, as opposed to building onto and improving it. the whole "I dunno what I and must figure out my destiny" thing is only engaging for so long until you make that the whole fucking show. don't tease us with backstory and lore for 3 fucking seasons. most shows start to move onto the next arc by season 3 and SU seems to want to stay in magic never changing status quo land. I got tired of Peridot as soon as they made her into Pikachoo/Scrappy doo and I can say the same for turning Lapis into Rei from NGE.
>>
>>91429737
>Rebecca is as bad as the rest of the SU crew.
nah she's the only one that puts any effort in anymore.
>>
>>91429764
>t.Ian
>>
>>91424817
>>91425720
>>91424817

Fucking Ghosthery, I meant to post the video called "Wanna Fuse Kids" from E,R but Ghosthery wouldn't let me grab the proper URL.
>>
>>91429032
>She dislike Peridot because she isn't her design.
Who designed her?
>>
File: 1435905844220.jpg (123KB, 850x987px) Image search: [Google]
1435905844220.jpg
123KB, 850x987px
>>91408008
I honestly believe SU has been declining since season 2.

Season 1 was more experimental: it played around with lighting, angles, and dialogue better, and it also knew how to handle subtlety.

At season 2 it felt like they lost the "subtlety" part when characters like Connie and Peridot started to spell things out more clearly during their training / redemption stories respectively.

At season 3 it felt like they lost whatever cool artistry was behind the show. Season 1 had a lot of shading, music queues, and unusual shot angles (which is where the lack of consistent character scales actually helped). In season 3, the color palette looks more saturated (compare Lapis now to her first appearance), all the characters have been chibified to an extent (mainly Steven, Peridot, and sometimes Amy), and the angle of the shot is almost always a TV sitcom-style one character on the left and one character on the right type of thing.

Season 4 compounds both season 2 and season 3's problems, with the writing taking a dip for the worst as storyboarders get more freedom and ever. Seriously, hiring FANS of your show to WRITE, regardless of whether their SJWs or not, is retarded. Fans barely ever understand WHY they like something beyond a shallow point. The show was strong in its first season because it was about a kid growing up in an unstable family and dealing with it as best as possible. The show was NOT about social justice issues, but there seems to be more of a focus on that since people like Zuke joined the show and upped the gay, made Peridot/Lapis an obvious stand-in for kids with autism/depression respectively, added hamfisted, eye-winking and corny dialogue like the shit in Rocknaldo, etc. Outside of consecutive story arcs and special episodes cured by Rebecca Sugar, this show might as well be Teen Titans Go but even less funny.
>>
>ruin the two most interesting and popular characters with loads of potential for some shitty memebarn bullshit

I will never not be mad about this.

Mirror/Ocean Gem is pretty much the best part of the show, implying some pretty dark bullshit how the CGs knew about how Lapis was in there and how they refused to really divulge much about their past outside of carefully filtered droplets of propaganda.

But never mind, we need a le so -___-~ emp teen girl! Also, make her ugly fucking cyan for no reason at all !

Also, SU has pretty much the worst medium trying to tell a story in. Sporadic 15 minute epiodes are the worst. Just look how much better paced Bismuth is. Imagine getting a new 30 minute episode every week with a 1 hour special per season instead of this crap. The half hour format would also let episodes have subplots, gem missions, townies etc because not having to waste 2-3 minutes of introduction every 15 minutes would be great to begin with. The pacing in general is worthless, the Zoo arc was fucking great, finally some sci-fi shit going down and after it its back to shitty filler and slice of life without any rythme or reason. Just why. Why cant we have random gem missions as filler? Or gems interacting with townies? Or a purely townie focused subplot when townies deal with eachother and the impact of gem shit on their lives?
>>
File: 1383796298132.png (585KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1383796298132.png
585KB, 1920x1080px
>>91430121
>Season 1 was more experimental: it played around with lighting, angles, and dialogue better, and it also knew how to handle subtlety.

I feel like calling season 1 "experimental" is misleading, because it was the only season that actually knew what the hell it was doing.
>>
>>91430121
Because Kevin Dart was the art director back then and he has a very distinct style that set it a part from stuff like AT and other shows around the time it aired.
>>
the bomb format is really starting to hurt the series, basically, unless its a bomb episode the pacing comes to a screeching halt

and it wouldnt be so bad, except most filler nowadays is approaching "Rocknaldo" tiers of quality, instead of say "Gem Harvest" tiers of quality
>>
>>91408008

>plenty of time to lose interest
>I don't consistently tune into CN because it's not on frequently
>I usually end up watching streams/downloads instead because it's not on frequently
It may not be 'killing it' or 'making it go downhill, but the show would have far more ratings if it was ran in a rational fashion.
>>
File: 1491647418923.jpg (570KB, 1280x1640px) Image search: [Google]
1491647418923.jpg
570KB, 1280x1640px
>>91408008
Airing doesnt help,but if i binge watched the whole series starting now and until the last episode,S4 would feel like a sour point due to the lack of plot relevance points in it.Also this season has no threat and a show without conflict is a boring one.Hopefully S5 is better.
Gotta say,its nice seeing /co/ talk about the shows plot problems instead of just shitting on the heights
>>
>>91429749
>>91408877

This is called having such a monumental lack of self-awareness that you don't understand the concepts of novelty and desensitization and their effect on the human brain even while they're happening to you.

And yet it keeps happening with stupid fans of every show in existence.
>>
>>91431708
And this is called being a stupid shill.
>>
>>91431754

In what way does my post imply either stupidity or being a shill?

Congratulations, you just proved yourself a double retard.
>>
File: comparethegregs.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
comparethegregs.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>91431708
That is called being a shill
>SU can do nothin wrung xDDD i am not wrong , the peope is
Pic related you SU apologist
>>
>>91431708
>>91417440
samefag
>hur dur you are the problem you hate it because internet hate it xDDDshow still a masterpieeece
people hate SU S3/4 and AT post S4 for a reason you faggotlord.
>>
>>91429850
Oh that one, got it.
>>
File: marcy.gif (187KB, 500x336px) Image search: [Google]
marcy.gif
187KB, 500x336px
>>91432039
actually not the same posters, but yeah, they do hate them for a reason - I explained it in the first post you quoted dumbfuck.
>>
I don't know, I mean if episodes like House Guest, Tiger Millionare or onion trade aired today, they'd still be perceived as bad even though when they aired back then the year weren't received that poorly.

I think people just have different standards of the show now since they've committed to telling an over arching story, so when we get an episode like that today it feels even worse than it actually is

And you know specualting about the future and mystery is always more fun than getting answers to the mystery itself. That feeling is because they've already explained a lot of things that people may have thought had a lot of meaning but in reality didn't matter that's much. Gravity falls comes to mind.

Either way, I still think it's a decent show and I do think that the next arc outside of these filler eps will be good, but I'm not really invested in it anymore.

Probably because when this show aired 4 years ago I was 14 and now that I'm 18 I've kinda grown out of watching shows clearly meant for kids.
>>
>>91434463
House Guest and Tiger Millionare were perceived as bad. A lot of people hated House Guest
>>
>>91408008
Cartoon Network is killing all of its old shows with its crappy scheduling. They spam Teen Titans constantly, and never even show Adventure Time anymore, which was possibly the most popular show before they unceremoniously stopped showing it. It's not a coincidence that this was done by new management. New management always always shits on any show that was started under prior management.
>>
>>91425749
> Connie is losing interest in Steven in favor of children her age like Kevin
>Kevin being Connie's age
> Connie liking Kevin

You've been watching a very, very different Steven Universe than I have
>>
>>91434463

Tiger Millionare was fucking funny and established the character of Ametyhst

It even got a completely pointless retread with Tiger Philantropist just so show character development in a hamfisted way.
>>
>>91434716
>Tiger Philantropist

This aired?
>>
>>91435942

Yes. Literally the first episode I kept skipping parts because I was so bored.

Then got an even worse one with the ruby in the memebarn that was so bad I even forgot its name and it seriously made me reconsider watching the show anymore.
>>
>>91408008
how autistic can fanbase be

>wow i've never heard of a show having a dip in quality XD lets harass the creators of the show and start discourse over bullshit like rebecca sugar being a racist or osmething!!
>>
>>91420604
>>91425749
>>91434591

I would like to see an episode were Connie meets someone else in school and admit she would like to spend time with said friend instead of Steven.

Extra points if it would be stereotypically looking Chad, but a nice guy with dorky interests like that book Connie likes or watching Chinese cartoons and finally finding someone with who he might talk about
Even more extra points if Steven tries to torpedo this relationship, just to learn that Connie can have more friends than Steven
>>
>mfw anon creates a better filler plot than the writers for the goddamn show
>>
>>91420604
Is he really 14?

Jesus, he looks and acts 8.

Hes so naive for an 14 year old.
>>
>Gem creatures are females

>No Metallic creatures that are Male and at war with the gems, hence why they decided to leave earth alone after the rebellion
>>
>>91431974
Gregs model sheet is right next to him, how did they go off model?
>>
>>91420604
Not giving Steven an education is literally child abuse.
>>
>>91438246
>>91419248
>>91419148

Basically, this was one of those "ideas" that brainfarted out of their heads without even giving it an attempt at a second tough to see if its actually a good idea at all, specially since likely they did not planned to Steven to be an actual 14 year old in the beginning, but hey, gotta be Sugar i guess.

>>91429850
>>91424412

BASED E,R

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlqEvkhl0So

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j38aX4JxINQ
>>
Member the times when we had few decent songs per season?
>>
>>91439853
The last decent song was Do it for her

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yG8caPPY1Y
>>
>>91439853
They need to stop doing songs as if they're good at it.
>>
>>91439853
Season 1?
>>
>>91424028
Not a Tumblrfag but I'm actually curious to know who this "Mystery Girl" is myself.
>>
>>91429320
>>91429479
kek

Second one is smoother, but it really needs that last face from the first one.
>>
File: 1479093943350.jpg (60KB, 500x450px) Image search: [Google]
1479093943350.jpg
60KB, 500x450px
>>91440301
>didn't like It's Over, Isn't It
>didn't like Both of You

https://soundcloud.com/aivisura/steven-universe-its-over-isnt-it-rebecca-sugar-feat-deedee-magno-hall

https://soundcloud.com/aivisura/steven-universe-both-of-you-rebecca-sugar-feat-zach-callison
>>
>>91439184
Holy shit lol
>>
>>91441155
It's Over, Isn't It sound like shit
>>
>>91440972
Does it matter? She's just some lesbo with pink hair
>>
File: 1449725846321.png (413KB, 662x599px) Image search: [Google]
1449725846321.png
413KB, 662x599px
>>91441175
>>
>>91441155
It's Over isn't really that good
>>
>>91408008
Fuck you, The Roundtable. I do not watch your videos because you are black.
>>
>>91440972
I want her to be a shred of pink diamonds will who still wants revenge.
>>
>>91431708
God, I hate people like you. YOU ARE NOT SMART, you are not Sherlock Holmes because you took a course of psychology or read an article online.
>>
>>91441199
You SUfags have no taste. That shit was awful
>>
File: IMG_0189.png (181KB, 303x311px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0189.png
181KB, 303x311px
You can kind of compare the progression of quality of seasons to Beatles' albums.
Season 1 is like Rubber Soul, really lighthearted and a lot of filler, but some high quality stuff in there as well.
Season 2 is like Sgt. Pepper, where the show hit its stride and put out a strong selection
Season 3 is the White Album, a lot of weird fucking choices with a lot of strong episodes and a handful of underrated ones.
Season 4 is Magical Mystery Tour, a couple of cool episodes but I genuinely have no idea what the makers were on for the rest.
>>
>>91441232
That's racist. :(
>>
>>91415749
To be honest it is pretty hard to develope a show and giving answers without taking away the sense of mystery. I still think that turning Peridot and Lapis into comedic figures was an overkill though.
The weird aliens stuff and Lapis' background and these things were so interesting and mysterious, as much as the homeworld gems. Now the series feels like a supernatural/alien sitcom.

I know that earlier episodes were often comedy centric too though, I guess I can't really put my finger on what is actually bothering me now but I know that Peridot's new character is a symptom of it as much as the Rubies. Guess waifu fags are happier now though.
>>
>>91420604
People bitched about dipper acting way mature that his age
>>
>>91408008

Season 4 is still shit but it would be more bareable taking a single bit of shit weekly instead of being blueballed for months on end only to have a truckload of shit dumped on you.
>>
>>91442476

This. 1-2 new episodes a week and you can just go "ehhh" over a stinker. Waiting half a year so you can get your dose of memebarn is just insulting.
>>
>>91416944
>>91416757
>hey would have too many characters
That was the reason why I hoped that Peridot wouldn't join. At least Lapis had some connection with the gems, albeit a negative one. But that makes interacting just more interesting.

The problem with too many characters is that series end up with that harem- (if the joining characters are female) or shounen-effect anime are plagued with. It results in interesting, more or less original characters getting reduced to a single trait, usually a funny highjink, or main characters losing screentime and becoming less relevant - something I feel that has happened to Amethyst and Garnet.

In the end these series haven't enough time to develope all of the characters properly and so they turn them to a bunch of cheerleaders for the one or two mains that are still important. Here that would be Steven and Pearl I guess, since even Connie is slowly turning into another Lisa Simpson "voice of reason" person with less screentime than the barn mates.
>>
>say there's an sjw pansexual genderfluid feminazi plus size who decides to take a shit on the ground
>start shitting
>golden shit
>lots of it
this represents the concept of the show and most of the first episodes
>around it, regular shit, but it can be ignored
this represents the hidden sjw messages that were sort of there in season 1, but not enough to bother us
>feminazi shits sprinkles
the sprinkles on the golden shit represent good writers like matt burnett and ben levin
>shit stays for a while
>glimmers in the suns rays
>mesmerizes you with its glow
>she's still shitting, but not too much anymore. it just kind of rolls off the beautiful glory of the golden shit
>then
>she shits a beautiful layer of frosting
the frosting represents the lapis arc
>later
>feminist starts shitting a lot more
>it starts covering the golden pile
>sprinkles on top decide they've got better stuff to do
>sprinkles leave
>shit coming at alarming rate
>suddenly
>shitstorm coming
>this is no ordinary log
>this was dark green slimy shit
the large monsterous shit represents, lauren zuke
>giant shit falls on top of the pile
>frosting is ruined
>it's smashed and turned green
this represents how zuke ruined the lapis arc with her lapidot garbage
>golden shit is still fighting
>still visible through the other shit
>not to mention feminist is still shitting
>stays like that for a while
>soon, about two fourths of the gold is visible, covered by lapidot shit, filler shit, and sjw shit
>golden shit is disappearing by the hour
>our last resort comes
>feminist shits a little golden shit nugget on the pile
this represents the bismuth episode
>almost as good as the original glory
>shit still coming
>only a small blob of the golden shit is visible
>gold disappearing by the second
>drowned in lgbt messages and filler episodes
>the shit has lost its meaning now, it used to be about magic adventures but now it's about pressure and depression for some reason
>>
what im saying is that it's not gonna get any better, the golden shit is disappearing, weve lost writers like burnett and good arcs have been ruined

god why did i write that
>>
>>91441998
It's that they want to make homeworld seem like a menacing, imminant threat...
but they also want to have no-pressure slice of life episodes.

AND they want to have "alien's don't understand Earth, so wacky!" things, like Peridot being afraid of rain.

AND they want to do character arcs... without actually making the characters act differently... while also the characters acting inconsistantly...

AND they have to do it all in 11 minutes while having a writing style in which awkward silence and reaction shots are heavily embedded.
>>
>>91442810
>weve lost writers like burnett
Wait he's gone?
I barely follow the threads, why isn't he there anymore and when did he go?
>>
>>91443012

He left to work on Apple and Onion.
>>
>>91440972
She's probably another gem/human hybrid like Steven from another Rose quartz…that would explain how Rose knew about making gem hybrids etc etc

It would also give her some actual relevance to the story other than Pearl's new crush.
>>
>>91443677
>taking away steven's OC DONUT STEEL status
awful
>>
>>91443290
Damn why must people always leave good series to start their own shit. The original cartoons usually go to shit after the first generation of writers leave.
>>
>>91425665
You've made a powerful enemy this day.
>>
>>91443290
Craig of the creek
>>
>>91443677
(Same anon continuing their post)
It'd also make sense from all the references and even the dialogue of the characters.

Perhaps she isn't a human/Rose quartz hybrid but a human/Pink Diamond hybrid. Maybe PD was like the original (but closeted) 'save the earth hippie' and confided/convinced Rose into creating a story about shattering her so that her kid/earth loving ways/apparent weaknesses wouldn't be discovered by the other diamonds and her gem followers. Maybe her ideologies grew on Rose and so Rose basically took up PD's mantle and legacy.
>>
I don't want Pink Diamond to be redeemed like that.

I don't mind her being pink diamond's "kid", but I would prefer that it would only be in the situation that, she sees she has no way to heal completely, so she decides to put her shards into a few different earth children (keeping one of the shards in tact to raise the children) as the ultimate fuck you to rose.
>>
>>91426097
Holy shit, I'm going to have to go back and watch for the exact moments they age.
>>
>>91442700
Lemme guess, Zuke is behind the infamous Ronaldo episodes, specially the one when Steven causes to ruin his relationship and the CGs dont give a shit cause "lol fuck ronaldo right gais"
>>
yes, she is
>>
>>91428696
I wouldn't blame it all on Zuke. It became abundantly clear that they didn't know what to do with Peridot after her redemption and that they never knew what to do with Lapis. Zuke has no direction for these characters, so now they take up screentime for no reason while characters like Garnet get nothing.
>>
>>91447224
*Sugar has no direction for these characters
>>
>>91417433
Her song was a total waste of her talents but she was great in a role she could have phoned in.
>>
>>91443830
Its not like the writes do much on this show anyway. They just make outlines and have the storyboarders write the dialogue
>>
>>91443677
>Steven loses his special snowflake status

He'd throw an even bigger fit then when he found out his mother had an extra tape in case he was born a girl.
>>
>>91449118

In all honesty, he'd probably be relieved that there's someone else like him out there

That episode where he tried to grow to impress Connie was a pretty good example of how lonely he feels. He's not quite a gem, but he's not quite a human, either, and (whenever the writers pull their heads out of their asses) that sense of not really belonging can be rather poignant. Having another gem hybrid out there might make coping easier for him - someone else who understands the conflict between gem and human natures, etc.

I mean, you might get an episode where he's jealous about how much attention Pearl is giving MG in favor of him if they go the relationship route, but that's probably as far as it would go
>>
>>91430305

The mirror/ocean gem episodes were what got me into Steve Universe. Looking back, the episode feels like an anomaly. The gems' uncomfortable looks and determination to sanitize things for Steven doesn't make much sense, now that we know they had no idea about Lapis.
>>
You heard why they do Steven bomb and don't air reruns much of this show, right? It's because CN 's "target audience" (4-12ish) won't appreciate the story driven narratives and they want episodes you can watch out of order without prior context, which aren't many Stevens like that. TTG on the other hand is "perfect" for this.
The show is actually put a lot more effort into marketing online to SU's "alternative audience" (the young adults/teens) who watch or stream it straight from CN's website.
>>
>>91434164
>>91431708
Nah, you just wield a Psychology 101 hammer and everything looks like a nail to you. The complaints about the show's declining quality are not exclusively or even primarily due to desensitization. The quality really has declined and the tone of the show's plot-heavy has changed. Even the townie episodes, the ones to which the desensitization argument applies the most, aren't what they used to be. Compare the recent Pizza nightmare one and Frybo.
>>
I just had a dream about Steven Universe

Well, in a way

I saw a billboard advertising a new album, entitled "Mystery Girl" by the band "Warsaw Pact." Mystery Girl was on the cover, standing with her hands on her hips and giving the viewer a sultry look. The album was done up in a way that suggested '80s synthwave.

Then I went to a McDonald's drive through and sang a song about Chechnya to the tune of Toto's Africa ("I killled some gays up in Cheeeeeechnya")

And then I woke up
>>
>>91454407
You should be writer on the show
Thread posts: 197
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.