[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm surprised nobody has storytimed The Flintstones yet,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4

File: my life begins now.jpg (230KB, 928x780px) Image search: [Google]
my life begins now.jpg
230KB, 928x780px
I'm surprised nobody has storytimed The Flintstones yet, especially considering that it's the last issue.
I know it will hurt but we have to.
>>
>>91301232
Isn’t the last issue gonna be #12? That comes out in June.
>>
>>91301232
ends with #12 u dip
>>
It got cancelled? Fuck. But it's so good!
>>
It ends with 12 and 10 has been posted.
You're blind and an idiot.
>>
>Probably one of the better comics currently running
>No one buys because "LOL Flintstones, that must be shit"
>Gets cancelled, only has 12 issues total

And this right here is why the majority of big two titles are generic and stupid. Anything involving the major characters will sell no matter how stupid it is, and everything else gets ignored no matter how good it is.
>>
>>91301232
>>91302550
>>
>>91306940
>No one buys because "LOL edgy Flintstones, that must be shit"
I fixed your post

Nobody's buying the books because nobody asked for their Saturday morning cartoon characters to be shoehorned into dark and edgy storylines.
>>
>>91307561
Except it isn't edgy, Anon. Not even on a superficial level, it's just satire.
>>
>>91307561
>edgy

The only way you can possibly consider Flintstones edgy is if you consider anything the least bit more mature than Teletubbies to be edgy.

Try backing up your argument. Oh, wait, you can't.
>>
>>91307608
>>91307830
>b-but it's not edgy

Oh, this denial again. When you take something that's traditionally made for kids, like a hanna barbera cartoon, and you introduce elements like racism and war into it just so you can make it seem more "mature" then it is the very book definition of edginess.
>>
>>91307830
>The only way you can possibly consider Flintstones edgy is if you consider anything the least bit more mature than Teletubbies to be edgy
Welcome to /co/
>>
Eh, nothing of value will be lost.
>>
>>91308066
The show had those themes in the first place. Fred being a war vet isn't some new edgy element they introduced, what did you think the Water Buffalo stuff was? It's basically a moose lodge.
>>
>>91308066
>When you take something that's traditionally made for kids, like a ... cartoon
Yes, how dare cartoons or comics be anything other than material for pre-schoolers.

Just as I thought, you can't back up your argument. Shouldn't you be shitposting about SU or R&M or something?
>>
Wow, the damage control is real, had this comic been produced by Marvel we'd be hearing about how they are ruining the Flintstones, making it edge garbage and ruining childhoods. Real glad that I've been smart enough to stay away from these nastolgia comics.
>>
>>91308391
What does the Moose lodge have to with veterans? Show me one time in the show where they discussed genocide and war. I'll wait.

>>91308401
I don't have to back up shit. They took a Saturday morning cartoon and made it edgy because you retards eat up edgy shit. You don't have an argument to stand on, faggot.
>>
>>91308530
Nice try, intern
>>
>>91308530
>STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE!
You sound bitter.
>>
>>91307561
>their Saturday morning cartoon characters
That's not how they started
>>
>>91308607
You can like whatever you want anon, your shit taste doesn't really have any effect on me, this awful comic is ending so the only thing I have to deal with is you half dozen fans who actually bought this comic try and convince others that it was worth it.
>>
>>91308683
Sounds like you're fake-upset again
>>
>>91308625
True. It's only how they've been portrayed for over half a century.

And they also didn't start out with themes of genocide and racism. They were a honeymooners ripoff.
>>
>>91308401
But the material was for kids in the first place. You need to move on to adult original writing instead of dragging flintstones through your life.
>>
>>91301232
Storytime's been up and it's not the last issue, since it's got two more to go.

But I forgive you, OP. Flintstones is worth having an extra thread up.
>>
>>91307561
>>91308822
>FLINTSTONES WAS ALWAYS FOR KIDS, GUYS

Why am I not surprised the """"shitposters"""" don't know what they're talking about?
>>
>>91308557
>What does the Moose lodge have to with veterans

Men's clubs were founded by and mostly consisted of veterans for most of their history.

>They took a Saturday morning cartoon and made it edgy because you retards eat up edgy shit.

Flintstones was never at any point a Saturday morning cartoon, it ran in the adult timeslots, and its sponsors were adult products which infamously included Wilson's Cigarettes, but also men's razors, women's magazines, and household appliance companies.
It was just created at a time when television was controlled with an iron grip.
>>
>>91308755
see>>91308755

It wasn't for kids when it was started. But it wasn't edgy shit with fred and barney discussing genocide either. It was a honeymooners ripoff that was family friendly for six years. For 51 years it's been a Saturday morning cartoon/cereal commercial for kids.

Why am I not surprised that the """readers""" cherry pick facts to make it seem like they know what they're talking about?
>>
>>91308755
To be fair, sitcoms in the 70's began dealing with racism. Archie Bunker in All In The Family was dealing with bigotry and misogyny, and AitF is held up as one of the most apple pie American television shows.
>>
File: IMG_7108.jpg (47KB, 600x394px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7108.jpg
47KB, 600x394px
>>91309052
I guarantee you that if Flintstones came out in the 1970's, it absolutely would have.
>>
>>91309028
This. It pains me when I see retard anons spouting the "it's edgy" meme. I guarantee no one on this bored was alive during this time period to understand that the Flintstones were effectively the Simpsons of that era. Literally all they've done is make it related to the current era. This is just a cartoon version of the honeymooners in all honesty. But instead of worrying about the next paycheck, and shit I don't really relate to from the 70s. It's taking the main themes of families and setting it in the 2010s.

But no. Anons who see this shit second had just see more "realistic character proportions" and "muh war." Fucking fags need to stop acting like they read this when it's very clear that if all they got from this is "muh edgy," they belong on /co/, a place for people to spout bullshit with zero understanding of what they're talking about.
>>
>>91309170
>but if you take this cartoon that's success was based in the zeitgeist of the time it was created and place it in another time where it will have no cultural relevance it will deal with different stuff

You don't say.
>>
>>91309028
>Flintstones was never at any point a Saturday morning cartoon
The only time it was a Saturday morning cartoon was when it had the Flinstones Kids spin off. Just like how The Muppets, which was a prime time variety show, had Muppet Babies.

Everything else about this post is dead on right, though.
>>
>>91308919
Ok, it was family oriented television. A show you could watch with you kid and still feel engaged. But it's still childish, innocent, goofy
>>
>>91309314
>Literally
I guess heavy handed political opinions and dark themes of genocide and war make things "current".
>>
>>91309318
Why not?

It worked for almost every American sitcom of every decade all following the same formula until the 2000's.
>>
>>91309407
>I guess heavy handed political opinions and dark themes of genocide and war make things "current".

They do.
Kids today play video games, dealing with some fairly graphic content. Even Nintendo games can get dark as fuck now.
Kids back in the day played cops and robbers, or watched westerns with no blood and only nameless bad guys died.

Even oldschool adut programming like Have Gun, Will Travel was pretty vanilla.
>>
>>91309394
>The only time it was a Saturday morning cartoon
Every cartoon featuring the Flintstones that was produced after the original series was literally a Saturday morning cartoon made for kids. You're full of shit.
>>
File: IMG_7109.jpg (80KB, 1280x616px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7109.jpg
80KB, 1280x616px
>>91309523
Johnny Quest and Captain Planet were both light hearted Saturday morning cartoons that dealt with racism and genocide. Just saying.
>>
>>91308066
>When you take something that's traditionally made for kids, like a hanna barbera cartoon
Flintstones wasnt orignally aimed at kids. It's later generations that assumed all cartoons were for children
>>
>>91309523
>Even Nintendo games can get dark as fuck now.

what

if anything nintendo has become more kid-friendly and saccharine than in the past
>>
>>91309523
The flintstones putting up a flat screen tv or logging onto a stone age equivalent of facebook is current. The flintstones dealing with the implications of war and genocide is edgy. There is a difference.
>>
>>91308530
>we'd be hearing about how they are ruining the Flintstones, making it edge garbage and ruining childhoods
Nah, we were all like that when it was announced. The concept sounds stupid. Then we actually read the thing and realised it was a masterpiece
>>
>>91309653
Yeah, but it wasn't edgy trash then either. It was a honeymooners ripoff. This ground's been covered.
>>
>>91308755
>True. It's only how they've been portrayed for over half a century.
But why should that matter. Does this mean that once a more childish version of a property has been made it can never be for adults again? Because there are kids versions of practically every Shakespeare play
>>
>>91309407
NARC was a game for kids that was about going into drug dens and murdering drug dealers. This was during the war on drugs. I played this as a kid.

So just because you didn't pick up on political indoctrination that was dealt to you as a kid in the media you consumed, doesn't mean it didn't happen.
>>
>>91309616
There was only one Flintstones cartoon produced after the main series, dumbass. It was literally just the cast as small children, and never caught mainstream appeal for arguably the reason that it was so vanilla and dull.

The only time I can actually recall that fornula working in fact was Pup Named Scooby Doo, and even that was canceled early on.

Unless you're talking about the movies made in the 70's. Which were not pivotal towards anything but turning Fred into a vitamin and cereal mascot.
>>
>>91309688
No, edgy is the Punisher killing pedophiles.

Showing a veteran dealing with PTSD is exactly something that Mr. Rogers and Sesame Street has done, and genocide has been covered by Nick News back in the 90's.

>>91309683
Some Pokemon are literally dead children now. Zelda shows characters die with blood and plead for their lives as opposed to just poof or fade away.

Fucks sake, even Mario Galaxy was pretty dark.

That's not even getting into what kids play on shooters and watch on Youtube.

Childhood innocence mostly died with Columbine.
>>
>>91309801
>dumbass

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pebbles_and_Bamm-Bamm_Show
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flintstone_Comedy_Hour
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Flintstone_and_Friends
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Fred_and_Barney_Show
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_and_Barney_Meet_The_Thing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_and_Barney_Meet_the_Shmoo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flintstone_Comedy_Show_(1980_TV_series)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flintstone_Funnies

You feel btfo'd yet?
>>
>>91309727

Remember, at the time standard TV fare was Leave it to Beaver, Donna Reed, etc. Perfect American families. There's a reason the theme song calls them "modern" stone age family.

As much as we laugh now, stuff like The Adams Family, Muensters, Beverly Hillbillies and even Flintstones were breaking new ground in the 60's.

Instead of prototypical American Families they were atypical families, and that was (now) ok, compared to the 50's where everyone had to fit the standard American mode.
>>
>>91309955
Yes, the punisher is edgy. A beloved Saturday morning cartoon character that discusses genocide when he never has before is also edgy.
>>
File: why.png (5KB, 578x152px) Image search: [Google]
why.png
5KB, 578x152px
>>91301232
>last issue
>>
>>91310123
>saturday morning cartoon

underage detected. Flintstones was fucking prime time baby.
>>
>>91309955
>Some Pokemon are literally dead children now.

the original Pokemon had shit like this as well

>Zelda shows characters die with blood and plead for their lives as opposed to just poof or fade away.

proof?

>Mario Galaxy was pretty dark

no, not at all

>That's not even getting into what kids play on shooters and watch on Youtube.

Neither of which are Nintendo.

Compare with Nintendo of years past. Metroid, which had body horror, mutations, and genocide. Mother series with its aborted fetus monsters. Eternal Darkness. Shit like that.
>>
>>91310455
there's still two more issues
trades are doing crazy good too, so they might bring it back later
>>
>>91305468
It's not selling enough to warrant more. They're giving the writer another book. Snagglepus.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.