[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So hasn't the last episode basically confirmed that any

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 246
Thread images: 18

File: IMG_1098.jpg (55KB, 640x483px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1098.jpg
55KB, 640x483px
So hasn't the last episode basically confirmed that any character development that Rick (and pretty much any character in the show) supposedly had is null since the writers only care about what's funny and improvise?

Kinda ruins the "impact" of pic related which was hailed by Redditors everywhere as the darkest thing they've ever seen on television, or even the act or Ricks humility at the end of season 2, since it was revealed that he had planned to get himself caught in the first place.

Also I find it weird that Rick constantly acknowledges that he's just a character in a television show but he still acts depressed as if he has real problems. You can't constantly break the fourth wall while also trying to have the audience relate to the character. It doesn't work.
>>
>>91262490

He only breaks the fourth character every first episode of a season it seems.

And yeah, I don't really like that Rick's character development resets itself, or how most of the serious plots in Rick and Morty reset themselves. We still don't know what is going on with Evil Morty because that was swept under the rug in Season 2.
>>
>>91262490

This episode isn't canon.
>>
the writers probably realized that wrapping up character's problems wouldn't be good for the longevity of the series.
>>
>>91262600
>He only breaks the fourth character

Which one is that?
>>
>>91262490
what episode is this?
>>
>>91262490
That's why I'm a little jaded about the series. S1 felt amazing but then I realized in S2 for them to keep the humor decent they would have to maintain the status quo indefinitely, which as you said dulls the effect of the character development.

That said, I think destroying the Galactic Government, the Council of Ricks, and kicking Jerry out of the house is enough change to keep this season fresh. However it was a lot in such a little amount of time. It makes for a nice hook but leads me to doubt there will be any meaningful events until the end of the season.
>>
im in the boat of waiting and seeing if they do anything with it, the writers seem to have a habit of setting things up, only to subvert it later on, and seem to make it a philosophy to try and defy expectation, even if they fall flat on their face.
>>
We have two roads

One
>its not cannon, and its really just an april fools joke

Two
>Rick is just fucking insane, hes ruled by the emotion hes in right then, whether it be saving Morty by the collars, or jumping the universe and going to another, hes just a smart man who is basically a god and does what he pleases.
>>
>>91262646
The one where he almost commits suicide cause his girlfriend broke up with him
>>
>>91262795
i am positive rick is just insane, he's been insane since day 1
>>
>everyone misses the point

He is not the hero. He doesn't have a character arc. There is not end game for rick.
>>
So basically what people are afraid of is this show going the way of Adventure Time where sometimes it looks like things matter then they don't and you were an idiot to think they might.
>>
Getting rid of all that "deep" development for Rick is helping the show. We don't need to go in the lore and plot heavy direction most cartoons are falling into nowadays.
>>
>>91262996
I'm ok with that but the fans of the show seem hell bent on proving that there's a hidden meaning to it all.
>>
>>91262895
So he's as complex as Patrick the starfish?
>>
It kind of just felt like Rick was joking about ruling the family to hide that he cares. Although he does genuinely dislike Jerry.
>>
>>91262490
>hasn't the last episode basically confirmed
no. it confirmed nothing.
>>91262746
yeah, the council and the government are the ones holding the humor and development back
>>
>Rick is above it all and hates everyone but himself but gave a shit about 9/11

I love the way they try to peddle the notion that Rick is some sort of XTREME REBEL and then immediately play it safe on a sensitive issue.

Pure reddit writing there.
>>
>>91262996
I like depth and consequences to happen in the shows I watch, even cartoons. As a child, I was constantly pissed off that the cartoons I watched would tease character development and progression of a character arc, only to have it be a one off episode deal.

FUCK THAT! Why watch something if there are no stakes or character growth.

Having said that, Rick and Morty is fucking awesome and you all need to quit bitching. Seriously, /co/ is starting to act like X-fags.
>>
>>91263256
Exactly when did Rick become an "XTREME REBEL"? The 9/11 thing seems to be before that.
>>
>>91262746
I hope the council isn't completely wasted. Felt like they should have had the potential to be some of the only people who stood any sort of chance against Rick.
>>
It's one of the reason's I don't really like the season so far.

It was a cheap copout.
>>
>>91263256
His reaction to 9/11 was over the government using it as an excuse to strip away freedoms.
>>
>>91263541
Why the hell would he even care what the earth government is up to?
>>
>>91263564
Because Earth is basically his birth planet?
>>
>>91263588
Not even his original earth.
>>
>>91263541
that's the leftwing "safe position" on 9/11, and that we need to start censoring "hate speech" to protect our civil liberties.
>>
>>91263618
But it's still Earth, and he chooses the ones with very similar histories.
>>
>>91262490
I relate to him
>>
Any perceived plot, character development, or deeper meanings in any of the show are just pranks set up by the writers, so they can make a punchline later about how you actually believed they were serious about any of it.
>>
>>91262490
Rick pantsed Morty and pushed him down a stairway, then proceeded to laugh at him along with some girls. Rick is crazy, anon.

Remember Close Rick-counters? Rick is closer to the true neutral "super weird" Rick, coming out on the 'good' side, but he's still pretty close to being on the evil side.
>>
Am I the only one who watches this for the (somewhat)satirical sci-fi adventures? I think a pig part of why season 1 was better is because the less cohesive character arcs meant they could just do whatever and not worry about tying it off in a perfect bow.

That said I don't think any impact is lost by way of the new episode. In fact I think it only builds upon an already complex character trait of Rick, his emotional dichotomy between how he really feels and how he feels he must present himself and his feelings to others. If you think back too all of season 2 "deep" Rick moments, you'll notice it's always when he's alone or the others are unaware of him.
>>
>>91263107
Apparently people think that's a good character.
>>
The thing about the sauce is a lie.

His original wife and Beth died because of some accident he feels responsible for, so he went and took the place of another Rick, but he wasn't emotionally numb enough yet to live with the family he watched die, so he abandoned them to tour the multiverse. He eventually came back, jaded beyond belief, to get his Morty and chill with the family.
>>
>>91262490
>writers only care about what's funny and improvise
Rick forgot how to improvise.
>>
File: wYaqsR8.png (1MB, 1054x1261px) Image search: [Google]
wYaqsR8.png
1MB, 1054x1261px
>>91262895
>He doesn't have a character arc. There is not [an] end game for rick
>>
Reminder that growth isn't necessary for characters to be complex.
>>
>>91264301
>you can't alter memories
>but you can alter details of a fake origin story
>we never left the shoney's
>>
>>91262600
>He only breaks the fourth wall every first episode of a season it seems.
And every last episode. And sometimes in the middle of seasons
>>
>>91262490
>taking the funny meme rant at the end of the episode seriously

Honestly, Rick has canonically been willing to give his life for Morty in the past and yet you buy the shit he said about not caring about Morty and Summer? Its a mask he wears.

I'm not sure why I have to explain it to you autists.
>>
>>91262490
Or Rick was lying about the Szechuan sauce and/or it was just a bit?

It's entirely possible Rick could have altered his real memory despite saying he couldn't
>>
>>91263152
Congrats you understand human emotion.
>>
Can't we all just agree that Rick is bipolar or something?
>>
File: 1444940766338.jpg (16KB, 181x246px) Image search: [Google]
1444940766338.jpg
16KB, 181x246px
>>91262490
It's more that the writers don't really seem to have a grasp on what they want to do with the series. S1 was pretty much golden, so they must've felt like they had to push it forward some more. It's what made S2 turn into an awkward mess of ""fun"" episodes like Get Shwifty or Interdimensional Cable 2 feel completely forced while character progressions was rushed in dumps like Bird Man talking to Beth, Tiny Rick, the Unity episode, and so on. They definitely have decent writing ability, as S1 was well balanced and they decently hid the fact that S2E02+E04 Rick was AU, but it seems like the show lacks direction, and the fact that scenes like the end of S2E03 get such hardcore dick sucking does not help that.
>>
>>91263541
>>91263256
It was a joke about how "Everyone remembers where they were on 9/11". You guys are overthinking it.
>>
>>91264511
He's not bipolar, just conflicted. Every character in the show is defined by their internal dichotomy, and most episodes are about pressuring them to choose one way or the other.
>>
>>91264265
Season 2 wasn't bad because it had character depth(season 1 had it too, actually). It was worse than season 1 because they clearly weren't trying to hard, and gave Jerry too many fucking episodes. He was a drag on every episode he was in other than Mortynight run.

Probably why they had Beth divorce him.
>>
>since the writers only care about what's funny
Is this a problem? It's supposed to be a wacky comedy. If you want non-stop development, romance, drama, plot-lines and shit, then you can go fuck yourself, because it's autismal faggots like you who keep ruining shows. Adventure Time is a prime example of a show that got ruined because of such faggotry.
>>
>>91264450

>He seems to be manifesting some sort of butt
>He can do that?
>He IS the smartest man in the universe

The details of the story could have been altered enough to not be recognized as a memory, or Rick's brain is just that goddamn powerful.
>>
>>91264381
>2011

what
>>
>>91264521
>the writers don't really seem to have a grasp on what they want to do with the series.
Evil Morty is the best example of this. It could've been something interesting, but instead he's not coming back.
>>
>>91263256
He didn't give a shit that people died, he gave a shit that the government would use that to ruin freedom. And besides, the whole bit is a joke on how everyone remembers what they were doing on 9/11
>>
>>91264569
>drama and continuity are added to the show
>viewers get invested
>viewers complain about show not committing to the drama and continuity it introduced
>It's just a comedy guys! gawd! Why so serious?
>>
>>91262634
YEAH!! CHARAKTER GROWTH LE STINKS!!!!!
>>
>>91264526
I agree, but there's an actual line he says in the background that's along the line of "they'll use this to strip away our freedoms." to subvert the idea that he actually cared about the people that died.
>>
>>91264661
>Evil Morty needs to come back
That's some shit opinion right there. Better to leave it as a twist ending rather than playing it out. Trying to do that with all the little shite from Season 1 is why Season 2 became forced as fuck.
>>
>>91264661
Which is fine, as long as you go to it for what it is: absurd comedy
>>
>>91264686
>add drama as a counterpoint to make the humor funnier
>viewers project what they think the show is doing
>bitch and moan when you don't take it down that proven hellhole
>>
>>91264723
It's the one thing that they should have brought back. Interdimensional Cable was magic that works once. Evil Morty is literally a hook for another episode.
>>
>>91262490

>So hasn't the last episode basically confirmed that any character development that Rick (and pretty much any character in the show) supposedly had is null since the writers only care about what's funny and improvise?
No. I mean, it confirmed whatever you want it to confirm, but no.
>>
>>91262490
Rick is like 60 years old. it would be bad writing for him to turn over a few leaf just because of a few life and death experiences when he already goes through so many life and death experiences that go his way completely
>>
>>91264565
I'm not saying season 2 was bad only that season 1 was better. Im also not say there wasn't character depth in season, but that they played it a little more 'fast and loose' with the character depth.

But look at season 2, in the first episode Rick sacrifices himself to save Morty(even though he end up surviving) then in the last episode Rick (appears)to sacrifice himself for his whole family. That's a character arc, plain as day, and because of it the writers are locked into "how do we make Rick's choices and actions how and strengthen this arc so it has impact on the viewer?" Because of this season 2 lacked a certain emotional spontaneity that season 1 did have.

This is both, in my opinion, why season 1 was better than season 2 and something that they are trying to recapture in season 3.
>>
>>91264635
it's photoshopped

look at the pixels around the word sauce, look at the obvious difference in image quality between the dragon and the rest of the label.
>>
Have any anons tried that Mulan sauce?
>>
>>91262490
>which was hailed by Redditors everywhere as the darkest thing they've ever seen on television
Niggers need to go watch any episode of Moral Oral.
>>
>>91262490
Rick is the Rickest Rick out there. He doesn't learn lessons, because he already knows all about them and just in general doesn't give a shit
>>
>>91262490
Looks like it has worked so far
>>
>>91262490
>Also I find it weird that Rick constantly acknowledges that he's just a character in a television show but he still acts depressed as if he has real problems. You can't constantly break the fourth wall while also trying to have the audience relate to the character

The that I take it is that by "going with the interdimwnsional cable television" Rick knows that somewhere his life is a TV show, so he often likes to act like he has viewers.
>>
you all are a bunch of faggots. I'm going to go watch Rick and Morty.
>>
>>91264994
go watch the new episode
over
and over
and over again
>>
Why does everyone think that Rick hasn't developed because of that end speech? We know by now to pay attention to his actions and not his words. He cares about the family, likes going on adventures with Morty, and resents Jerry for betraying him. How's that any different from typical Rick?
>>
>>91262987
That and quality drops while the show grows stale until the find their footing again
>>
File: 1380859602769.gif (2MB, 164x172px) Image search: [Google]
1380859602769.gif
2MB, 164x172px
I just want to see a nudity scene with Summer this season
>>
>>91264521
>the writers don't really seem to have a grasp on what they want to do with the series
The writers and directors change rapidly. If the creators weren't voice actors too, they'd probably be lost in it.
>>
Since this is a R&M thread this is semi relevant, who here has invented their own personal Rick?
>>
>>91264922
>Rick is the Rickest Rick
What exactly makes him more of a Rick than the Rick one dimension over whose only difference is scratching his balls with his left hand once?
>>
>>91264866
Nah, the first two seasons were really light and optimistic overall.

Season 3 is dark as fuck though, holy shit "Alone" was pushing it.
>>
>>91265017
Don't worry anon, I laugh at you.
>>
>>91265085
Impossible, not even on Bluray releases would they risk that. Summer is underaged, even if she's not "real".
>>
>>91265133
There clearly aren't infinite universes within the premise of this show
>>
>>91265133
>What exactly makes him more of a Rick than the Rick one dimension over whose only difference is scratching his balls with his left hand once?
There isn't one of those. Most Ricks are very similar, and the few outliers are VERY different.

The council of Ricks is mostly all the same sort of Rick.

The doofus Rick is a unique Rick, because he's ugly and nice. Likewise, our Rick is unique because he's nicer than average and cares about his family. Most Ricks don't do that, there isn't many similar versions of Rick.
>>
>>91265185
So is Morty but they always show the boy characters nude and they had them get stripped down in the simulation episode.

and that's BOOOOOORING.
>>
Rick and Morty reminds me of the slipshod Adult Swim shows I used to enjoy (Frisky Dingo, Squidbillies, etc). And even though it grew up and got a big budget it knows it's basically trash
>>
>>91265189
I think R&M has infinite universes, just not infinite in every direction.

Basically, there are an infinite number of possibilities between 1 and 2, but 3 will never be one of them. You can have 1.4, or 1.45, or 1.454, and it goes on forever, but you can't get a 3 even with the infinite possibilities between 1 and 2.
>>
>>91265232
There's a difference between boys and girls, first of all.

And have we actually seen him nude, or are you talking some barbie doll anatomy shit?
>>
>>91265189
Oddly convenient that one of the finite possibilities is a universe where everything was the same until Rick Cronenberg'd everyone and fixed it and then died.
>>
>>91265253
If that were the case, Rick wouldn't have to tell Morty that they can only replace a dead pair so many times. There would be an infinite number of dead pairs.
>>
>>91265273
Yep, that's why he says they can only do it a couple of times. There are a very large number of universes, clearly, but not infinite
>>
>>91265275
>>91265288
Rick refers to it as "an infinite number of realities", yet somehow only a couple dozen have that possibility.
>>
>>91265302
Yeah, one of those two statements is a lie, it just doesn't work otherwise
>>
>>91263618

It was in 2001
>>
>>91265265
It's not if we see the bits you dummy

It's just the prospect of the matter
also that Lizzie the Lizard show did it so why the fuck not
>>
>>91264452
yeah but other than that name one time he did it
>>
>>91265310
Exactly. It also doesn't add up with the "central finite curve", not that it's actually explained.
>>
BLIPS AND CHIIIIIITZ!!!
>>
>>91262490
The way I see it, the episode was making fun of fags like you who take the show way too seriously.
>>
>>91262490
You're taking Rick at his words.

He has two major personality traits. Nihilism from realizing he's a tiny aged speck that cannot conceivably accomplish anything important in an infinite multiverse full of retards populated by asshole retard versions of himself, and denial from his normal human emotions like pride.

The denial is what keeps him going.
>>
Would Morty choose to live with Jerry?

I think Morty might have some desire to never stop adventuring, but he seems to largely agree with Jerry's opinion of Rick. And having Morty join his dad would give Jerry's ultimatum a lot more weight behind it.
>>
>>91265275
Think of it this way...

There are infinite realities, all between 1 and 2. You have 1.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000004, for example. Let's say "Universes currently exactly like Rick's" are everything from 1.00030 to 1.00060, which would give maybe 30 jumps. but only when one of the 30 others messes up but then fixes things where our Rick didn't.

It's still infinite, even if ones similar to our Rick isn't. The show confirmed OUR Rick is not an average Rick like the ones in the council, there are probably only a few of Ricks similar to ours just like there isn't many Doofus Ricks out there.
>>
>>91265317
>also that Lizzie the Lizard show did it so why the fuck not
link?
>>
>>91265406
You don't understand infinity, judging by the way you've lined this out. Everything between 1.00030 and 1.00060 is still an infinite number of numbers.
>>
>>91264616
Exactly, he manifested the whole origin story.
>>
>>91265424
Although maybe not the bit we see outside the Shoney's window, which was noticeably different from what he showed the insect guy
>>
>>91265419
sure, but just because it's infinite doesn't mean every possible combination happens

consider pi. most people repeat the meme that the digits of pi contain every possible combination of numbers - this is wrong.
>>
>>91265327
>Oh look it's the old guy from Act 1
>>
>>91265406
You retard that would be infinitely more than 30 jumps
>>
>>91264521
>S2E02+E04 Rick was AU
Wait, what?
>>
>>91265337
Rick doesn't actually know how many alternate realities there are. He just assumes they're infinite because he's the smartest person in the multiverse, and if there are more universes than he can count, then they must be infinite because if there was a large finite number he'd be able to quantify it.
>>
>>91265455
It's not wrong, it's just unproven. We don't know either way.
>>
>>91265419
No, I don't mean "everything" including extra decimals, I'm just including 1.00030, 1.0031, 1.0032, ect, until you hit 1.0060. Adding anything outside of those 31 examples would be a different type of Rick.
>>
>>91262490
All this time and you don't understand that half the point of the show is taking the idea of an episodic series, and justifying the "resets" as pent up emotional baggage waiting to overflow. Then it does, but they go back and repeat the process over in hopes that they'll be dead before they have to actually change. Just like real life.

Also Rick knows there's a dimension where every part of his life is a tv show being watched by someone. Inter-dimensional Cable proves this.
>>
>>91262490

I turned myself into a Pickle!

I'M PICKLE RICK!
>>
>>91265460
Okay but other than that?
>>
>>91265337
Presumably, though the number of appropriate universes is more or less infinite, inherent within the scope of the infinite is the certain probability that there are also an infinite number of doppelganger Rick and Mortys who are also trying the same move at that exact same time.
They need not only to find an appropriate fixed alternate Earth where the doppelgangers will soon expire, but also one in which no second set of doppelgangers have called dibs yet.
>>
>>91265417
FEAST YOUR EYES LADDY!

https://desu-usergeneratedcontent.xyz/co/image/1476/60/1476604857273.webm
>>
>>91265483
So all you're really saying is what if 30 arbitrary universes were alike but the rest aren't, because your math is garbage and meaningless in that context.
>>
>>91265500
Which still shouldn't be a problem if the number of universes is actually infinite. As in, completely and utterly unending.
>>
>>91265462
I was specifically referring to the 31 numbers of "1.00030", "1.00031", "1.00032", "1.00033", "1.00034", "1.00035", "1.00036, "1.00037", "1.00038", "1.00039", "1.00040", "1.00041", and like that until you hit 1.00060".

In my example changing anything in that constant 000 would make it a completely different timeline with a different kind of rick, as would adding anything past the last digit. Is there a better way to convey that specific notion?
>>
>>91265534
there's quite a difference between countable and uncountable infinity anon
>>
>>91265464
Alternate Universe Rick, aka he wasn't "our" Rick.
>>
>>91265570
All countably infinite means is that it corresponds to natural numbers, it doesn't change the fact that it's a literally unending number of universes to pick from.
>>
>>91265566
No, because it's a stupid notion.
>>
>>91264521

I heard they scrapped the idea of the limited number of realities once someone figured it out.

Why build a story and scrap it just because someone found out that its there? The obscure plot had me really interested in watching the show to see where the story was going.
>>
>>91265185

They showed dream summer bent over begging for cock in the first season
>>
The show was never about rick it's morty or the people he effects
>>
>>91265518
I was trying to quantify it in a logical way. If the universes had numbers, they could be labeled by their divergence. 1.1 Rick would be more similar to 1.11 Rick than 1.4 Rick, because there's less variance. The numbers were arbitrary but it's the kind of thing Rick and Morty would do to explain the concept. If Rick and Morty tries to ever explain it they would probably say something like "Morty, we only have so many possibilities to choose from! C-137 to C-150 contains all of the worlds close enough to ours Morty, we can't go to any other worlds Morty. There's one other possibility, we can go to C-1 but if we do you'll have to suck my balls, Morty.
>>
>>91265444
That's just when he invented the portal gun and left. They're were just standing outside a portal.
>>
>>91265460
Is that really a 4th wall that's just him making fun of the Purge movie
>>
>>91265133
The new episode literally explains this "You're irrational, you care too much" etc etc his ability to improvise and work with whatever makes him a huge threat as well as more powerful than people of similar intelligence working together. You can also see the fact he drools and other Rick's don't. Motherfucker is doping his brain or something.
>>
>>91265835
Are the other Rick's alcoholics? I assumed that was the reason for the drool.
>>
So is this just a shitty time travel Doc and Marty parody?
>>
>>91265884

Yes, the writers attempt drama but it's always undermined by their inability to maintain tone or character development.
>>
>>91265958
season 1 finale was the perfect amount of drama imo
the stakes were high and it had some serious moments, but it didn't get to heavy with "muh feels". Season 2 completely shat the bed in that regard
The same thing happened with Futurama. Having a regular funny episode with some deep moments is fine, and can be quite good, but when you force it because your fanbase won't shut up about it it quickly wears thin
>>
File: Q59E4AV.gif (2MB, 400x309px) Image search: [Google]
Q59E4AV.gif
2MB, 400x309px
>>91265501
>>
File: 1368819438677.gif (2MB, 300x229px) Image search: [Google]
1368819438677.gif
2MB, 300x229px
>>91265501
WOWIE
>>
>>91265884
Yes.
And now that all your questions have been answered...

SCRAM!

Don't make me mathematically prove that you're nothing but shit.
>>
>>91265501
Lewd!
>>
>>91263152
This is obviously the answer but this show really triggers everyone's autism
>>
I love how you idiots soaked up that Diane backstory even more readily than Cornvelious Daniel did. It was put there to openly mock all your 'extended universe' bullshit.
>>
>>91262746
Shame Jerry was the only likable character besides Morty. With him gone half the show's charm is gone.
>>
>>91263256
that was a fake memory you fucking nonces
>>
I have to fucking say how shit the writing was at the end.
>I got rid of your dad because he crossed me, he threatened to turn me into the government
>it was actually completely Jerry's idea to do the me or him thing
>>
>>91262490

>I'm A-a cartoon character morty! W-we all *burp* are cartoon characters! you, me, your mom your sister E-even jessica morty, our universe the multi-verse all of it, it's nothing but a cartoon! I-i've seen it morty, the interdimensional cable box I built, I've seen our show morty! Our existence here, it-it isn't real morty, its meaningless J-just a *burp* television show! B-but I've done it morty, I've broken through, had to prove it to myself, prove I could *burp* effect that world, couldn't let anyone know W-what I was doing or it wouldn't work, had to make them think it was part of the show...

>Y-you see we're popular there morty, in that reality, immensely P-popular, O-our fans Th-they love us morty they'll do anything to appease the show morty so I-i had to test it, had to see if I could break through to them effect their world somehow prove we can G-get out of here morty...look *turns on television* S-see that morty? it' a commercial, A-a commercial from their world. It's P-promoting the new mulan remake, I-i've done it! S-see our fans morty our fans in that world they petitioned and got the sauce back morty! T-they actually thought that was my goal and T-they did it for me! S-see morty we can effect their world W-we can be more than just cartoon characters morty! All I can do now is watch their world, T-the portal guns I-its not strong enough to break through the fourth wall but look we changed their world! W-we can do it morty we can get out of here! give our lives real meaning! reach reality morty! Thats the goal! get out of here, this prison this show, it can't last forever morty I-it'll all go away W-we have to keep entertaining them or we'll be canceled and all of our known existence our reality will be gone, gone forever! W-we have to stop that from ever happening M-morty!
>>
So... we know that 'c137' rick cares about his family, or at least his morty. He wouldn't have given morty the collar in s2e1 otherwise. Hell, the other rick even says thst he's different because he actually cares, in the memory.
I'd be willing to bet that the baby seen in one of the episodes is c137 morty.
I don't think that 'our' Rick is necessarily c137 though.
I think the memory was real. The bugs were able to tell that he'd made a butt- if he made a big ass fake memory like that they probably would've been able to tell. I know what you're thinking- they never left the shoneys!- but that doesn't make any sense. He didn't have full control until *after* the virus was uploaded at the end of the memory. I think he was in part just fucking with nathan fillian-bug for shits and giggles. He also said that shoneys was emotionally home for him. If that wasn't a fake backstory, it does kinda make sense that he'd want to go back there to recuperate from reliving the worst day of his life. But i could also see it as him wanting to reaffirm himself to his cause to wipe out not just the galactic government but also especially the council of ricks. Because they killed his wife and child. Only ricks had the portal technology. So he hops to the dimension where he died instead of his wife and child-c137! And lives there until everything turns cronenburg. Thats my theory and I'm sticking to it.
>>
>>91262490
>Character development
>In Cartoons

Jesus Christ you faggots.

On a side note, I will never forgive AS for that "prank" on Saturday.
>>
I'm still confused on why there are people who keep insisting that this show had a plot and character development in Season 2. Since fucking when?
>>
>>91267283
>taking the ending rant seriously
>>
File: anon_please.png (58KB, 232x207px) Image search: [Google]
anon_please.png
58KB, 232x207px
>>91267732
>I will never forgive AS for that "prank" on Saturday
Yes you will. You will be watching the new SJ episode come Saturday. You have no real will power. Your outrage is only surface deep.
>>
>>91265460
When does he say this line in the episode?
>>
Why do people seems to think that jerry is out of the show now? They are just getting divorced
>>
>>91265501
But how did it get her shoes?
>>
>>91262490
>since it was revealed that he had planned to get himself caught in the first place.

Was it really planned? Ricks the type of guy that would probably already have kind of an idea how he could get out and fix things when it happened but he still had to have himself get caught.

As much as the show just improvises on the go so does Rick. He new what they wanted from him and how they would interogate him used it to his advantage then just jumped body on the fly to get where he wanted. All he wanted to do was destroy the federation by fucking up their economy. If the Ricks didn't step in he would have got the password and walked into the secure areas and just changed it then. The council stepping in to kill him meant he had to go the long way to get there.
>>
>>91265464
That Rick and Morty that are friends with MR Poopybuthole and kill Fart are alternate versions since they have different tickets at the end of 2x02 for the Jerry daycare. And the crystals from that episode are seen in 2x04
>>
>>91262490
>>91262746
The dynamic did change during S2 since Morty became more jaded and fed up with Rick's shit. Meanwhile Summer took Morty's role as a person who reacts to anything new.

>>91267040
I think Jerry will work better as a single dad. Recycling Beth getting disappointed at him and them patching things up again gets boring after a while.
>>
>>91264850
oh
well shit
>>
>>91265803
>assumptions
>>
File: you have my curiosity.gif (546KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
you have my curiosity.gif
546KB, 200x150px
>>91265501
woah
>>
>>91265119
i have

he doesn't go on adventures he just staffs one online game server all day every day

he's called me
>>
>>91267833
It turned to an ad lib random viewer joke.

The first half obviously directly referred to the factual changes.
>>
File: 1484769790541.jpg (130KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
1484769790541.jpg
130KB, 499x499px
> Watches sitcom
> Expects character development
>>
>>91262685
>wahh muh bogeyman
somehow you manage to complain about /pol/ even when it's not here, almost like you have an agenda to push of your own
>>
>>91267847
correction: on wednesday
>>
Rick is a liar, so he's unreliable when talking about himself, as proven in this very episode with the fake flashback. Especially when he's talking about himself to other characters he's been known to abuse all the time or would never admit anything to being with.
>>
File: 1489559822708.jpg (23KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1489559822708.jpg
23KB, 480x360px
>>91264521

Holy shit, can we please stop this meme that season 1 was some god-given perfect masterpiece by comparison to season 2?

Season 2 was just as good and the things people are saying about the new episode just prove that a lot of the fans take the "feels" part of the show WAY too seriously.

I like when they have feelsy moments or interesting world-building but it has always been clear that the writer's priority is comedy and this has literally never changed, they may have had a few more feels scenes in s2 but only because the fan base latched on to that aspect of the show so much.

I'm sick of people acting like R&M is some high art drama or something, it's a show full of fart and dick jokes and other vulgar shit, and I know someone's gonna tell me "hurr you can't have your cake and eat it too" but actually yes they can, the writers of the show can do what they want and it's your choice to enjoy what it is supposed to be (a comedy with little bits of drama) or try to over-analyze fucking everything like it's five-star television or something.
>>
>>91267291
This all makes me wonder how long will Justin and Dan work on this show before getting sick and tired of it
>>
>>91262490
I'm not sure if Rick even believes the bullshit coming out of his mouth

He just says whatever he feels like at the moment, never restraining his emotions, because he knows he'll never be held accountable for it. He always find a way to do SCIENCE and evade any kind of responsibility, like hopping to another universe.
>>
>>91267291
>It's a cabin in the woods parody episode
>>
>>91269664
Being a vulgar "adult comedy" and trying to be a serious drama would be having your cake and eating it.
>>
>>91263256
They have no spine with this writing

Kind of like how Rick loves his family yet also hates them. They can't stick to one
>>
>>91269397
Wow anon you're so smart, nothing gets past you
>>
File: IMG_0812.png (362KB, 640x481px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0812.png
362KB, 640x481px
Not really, especially with the flashback, there has to be some truth to it

Are you going to ignore the stand off where the other Rick is trying to get Main Rick to admit he likes kids but he's bullshitting his way out of it?

>I only brought you and summer here so your mom can trust me and get rid of Jerry

Given his " I can't improvise" line, I'm pretty sure he was bullshitting that too as a conveniance on getting rid of Jerry too

Rick does that a lot, this is normal

It's not that simple,
>>
>>91262490
>Also I find it weird that Rick constantly acknowledges that he's just a character in a television show but he still acts depressed
Well how would you feel if you realized your entire life is just for the entertainment of extradimensional beings you will never see, that everything you've done amounts to a page and a half text document floating around somewhere used only as reference when talking about you.
>>
>>91267283
YOU are the shit. The writing was fine, your autism stopped you from comprehending the subtlety of human interaction. You see, anyone without autism saw it was obvious that Rick wasn't being serious, he was acting tough to Morty to keep him in line, taking advantage of the sudden changes to make it seem like he's intentionally changing things instead of fucking shit up.
>>
>>91267291
Oh fuck don't let this happen, we'll get the same bullshit ending the Misadventures of Flapjack got where the characters suddenly become "real people".
>>
>>91262490
If you found out you were a cartoon character after going through your life and losing your loved ones and then just "lol its just a cartoon" You would probably end up depressed a bit.
>>
>>91273155
swag holocaust, familia.
>>
>>91262490
The show might not focus on the same Rick and Morty every episode. That would explain character development resetting.
>>
>>91269762
didn't Roiland do a pilot pitch for FOX? by now he's probably a bit sick of the fanbase at least
>>
Wait. Are people actually upset there's no character development in a cartoon? The plot and characters are simply delivery vehicles for jokes. Don't try to pretend Rick and Morty is anything more.
>>
>>91273388
This is flat out confirmed. We've seen multiple universes, a few early season 2 episodes show this, the Jerry Daycare Morty is not C-137 Morty. We have multiple sets to follow.
>>
>Rick and Morty stays within its bubble
>"It's the same old jokes, R&M is shit now"

>Rick and Morty expands beyond its bubble
>"It doesn't fit the show, R&M is shit now"
>>
>>91273640
4chan needs to stop contradicting himself.
>>
File: 9WpbDwI.jpg (75KB, 656x800px) Image search: [Google]
9WpbDwI.jpg
75KB, 656x800px
>mfw all I want to see is Evil Morty outsmarting Rick
>>
The Rick whose family was killed is evil morty. He moved his consciousness to one hide himself from everyone. The Rick we know is the one who killed his family. THINK ABOUT IT
>>
>>91267291
I want the final episode of the series to be something along the lines of this, where Rick reveals that they've been in a cartoon the whole time and he's sick of entertaining and goofing around for the enjoyment of his audience, and refuses to keep up the act anymore. The show gets summarily "cancelled" and that's it.
>>
>>91273640
Option 3
>Rick and Morty was shit before and is shit now
>>
I'm more worried that he'll become an irredeemable, unlikable asshole that will make watching a chore. To say nothing of how Morty will view/treat him now.
>>
>>91273732
Not a memory retard.
>>
>>91265185
Haven't they shown Jessica almost nude multiple times in the comics and cartoon? I don't think Jessica is any older than Summer. Actually, she might be younger. So I don't think that this would be a problem.
>>
Something I found really interesting was in the Season 3 premiere, Morty appeals to the Council of Rick guards or soldiers or whatever they are when they come to grab them from Cronenberg universe by saying "Hold your fire, I'm Morty C-137."

A few of the Ricks react in surprise, and look around as if to say "this kid isn't REALLY Morty C-137, is he?" We know that the protagonist Rick is Rick C-137, but we never actually get any real confirmation that the protagonist Morty is Morty C-137, and we can be reasonably sure that the protagonist Morty is not from Rick's birth universe and therefore is not his biological grandson (in a sense), as Rick has memories of an infant Morty that can't be protagonist Morty since Rick was not present in his life until a year or so ago in the show's timeline.

This isn't new information, but I'm guessing that Evil Morty is the real Morty C-137, which would explain why the guard Ricks would even know who Morty C-137 is among all of the other nameless Morties.
>>
>>91273990
A Morty's designation is based on the Rick who owns them.
No matter how many Morty's he goes through "our" Rick's will always be Morty C-137
>>
Where can I watch the new episode?
>>
>>91273866
Not entirely, if it isn't clear for you son. A fabricated backstory in the sense he wasn't there but for a few brief moments to get told to go fuck himself by the other rick. He made up the rest since obviously he wasn't present, the part where he killed that Rick's family should be in his memory. It makes his statement i didn't, but I did make more sense if you think about it from the perspective he is the Rick that tried to recruit the one in blue pants.
>>
>>91273990
Or it could be that they know the C-137 Rick is the rebellious one that constantly fights them. You know, that thing they directly imply when they go break into the prison holding him just to kill him so he can't give the prison guards information?
>>
>>91274075

Hence the "one free Morty" coupons.

Really, the existential aspects of this show are terrifying.
>>
>>91274137
TOTALLY
FABRICATED
ORIGIN
STORY
>>
>>91274154
Only for Morties. Ricks are one of the few beings that can freely hop through universes, and Morties are their pet of choice.
>>
>>91274188

Hey, why do you think Rick is the way he is? Ya know the old saying, "there are things man was not meant to know..."
>>
>>91270686
>Kind of like how Rick loves his family yet also hates them. They can't stick to one
You say that like it's impossible.
>>
>>91274259
Because of Rick levels. Lower levels of Rickness think alike and were able to form the council, build the Citadel, and essentially make a Ricktopia.

Higher Ricks think more independently and are more likely to do shit that pisses everyone off, even other Ricks.

This includes C-137 Rick, Evil Rick, the Artist Formerly Known as Rick, and the other murdered Ricks.
>>
If the whole point of Mortys is to hide the brain signature of Ricks. Does that mean Rick doesn't need a Morty any more?
He just destroyed his two, presumably, biggest enemies.
>>
>>91274176
Correct. Because it's someone else's not his. He took liberties with it. Showing that instance of a Rick's family being murdered by the council serves no purpose, if it wasn't for it bring bright up again as "rick getting revenge" when he kills them all. He states before he enters the dudes mind that it wasn't his backstory, but he and the council know rick has a grudge against them. He states while killing the heads of the council is his revenge and they don't argue, meaning they know he has a reason to hold a grudge against them.

Point being, the "fabricated backstory" is reference later on after it was revealed to be one. There is no reason for that unless there's some truth in it
>>
>>91270686
>They can't stick to one
Or you haven't experienced both at the same time JERRY.
>>
>>91274408

It's debatable if that's even true, or Rick just made it up to hide the fact that he is the one Rick who actually LIKES his Morty.
>>
>>91274413
>they know he has a reason to hold a grudge against them.
Getting arrested and almost put to death by ball stabbing for a crime you didn't commit will do that.
>>
>>91274430
It would explain why other Ricks travel with Mortys and the whole poking torture dome.
>>
>>91274408
Rick has a LOT of enemies. He took two down, but there can be plenty more.
>>
You guys all seem to be forgetting that he was in an Intergalactic prison for who knows how long? They might have tried other methods than just the one we saw that could have broken his mind and made him more insane than he already was.
>>
>>91262490
It was a simulation. He's still in space jail.
>>
>>91274413
TOTALLY
FABRICATED
NOT
ALTERED
FROM
AN
OLD
SOURCE
BUT
TOTALLY
FABRICATED
WITH
TOTALLY
MEANING
100%
WITH
NO
OLD
CONTENT
>>
>>91264964
More than that. He knows he's a cartoon. He knows his universe exists as a cartoon in our universe. Do you know that you're a cartoon anon?
>>
>>91262490
>Darkest Ending Ever
That's a shoop, right?

>Also I find it weird that Rick constantly acknowledges that he's just a character in a television show but he still acts depressed as if he has real problems. You can't constantly break the fourth wall while also trying to have the audience relate to the character. It doesn't work.
That's retarded. Finding out that you're a fictional character doesn't negate any of your human fears. Shinji may have realized he was fictional at the end of EoE, but it was irrelevant to him. (Rei definitely realized it, at the least.)
>>
>>91267040
He's just milhouse's father and is slowly shifting to fit that role.
>>
File: first-mover-dan-harmon-hed-2013.jpg (124KB, 652x367px) Image search: [Google]
first-mover-dan-harmon-hed-2013.jpg
124KB, 652x367px
>>91262490
It's a Dan Harmon show. It starts off with a pretty good idea, makes it work, but then he can't just let it be what it is. He has to keep changing it until it goes to shit. That's just what he does.
>>
>>91274751
I think the whole " Finding out that you're a fictional character doesn't negate any of your human fears" thing is done well with Va11 Hall-A. At one point a robot character is depressed, and talking to their bartender about how they don't know if they're real or not, and being a robot means even if they're "real" they're artificial. The bartender gives a reasoning of "I cried while enjoying a good fictional story before and realized fake things can be good enough, so even if our lives end up not being real we can enjoy them regardless".
>>
>>91274450
In what way did they frame him? >>91274627
Calm down, i get processing information and reading into it is difficult at times but there's no need to let your fingers do your autistic screeching for you. Go do that to your handler
>>
>>91275176
>autistic faggot doesn't even understand how to pipe quotes
>calls others autistic

I bet you can't even fucking triforce
>>
>>91275281
Here's your last (you) friend
>>
>>91265189
If there were truly infinite universes, then there would be universes where Rick was never born or universes where the Dinosaurs never went extinct or universes where Earth still had it's original toxic atmosphere or any number of universes that diverged. I'm kinda bored that they only go to universes that have Ricks and Mortys.
>>
>>91275747
>If there were truly infinite universes, then there would be universes where Rick was never born ect
This isn't true at all, infinite universes does NOT mean infinite possibilities. There could be infinite universes... with only a few unique ones, and an unlimited amount of exact replica universes. Rick could be a Universal Constant throughout all universes, we don't know.
>>
>>91262490
>Morty now actively hates Rick, going as far as to trying to kill him in the standoff
>Summer and Beth now worship Rick
>Jerry finally got the courage to get a divorce
That's a lot of character development for a single episode.
Rick didn't really get much exposition this episode since all his scenes were either action scenes or intentional lies. The only thing we got is the ending where he snaps with Morty.
>>
If there exists a few universes exactly the same as the one being followed, like the one where the only difference is Rick blew himself up doesn't that mean there are multiple Rickest Ricks and there should be a Rick just like ours who also was imprisoned and broke out? Or were they all killed by evil Morty besides the one Rick who is just slightly more evil than our Rick but slightly less evil than Evil Rick?
>>
>>91275987
Nothing says the Rick that blew himself up was also a "Rick-est Rick", he could have been a generic "with-his-family Rick". It's not like anybody besides Rick and Morty know that much about each individual adventure, maybe instead of trying to make Morty a love potion the dead Rick wanted to make a weapon or something. Once Rick and Morty die another pair could replace them and the family wouldn't realize it, it's not like our rick shows that he cares about his family more than the other ones do in normal household life.
>>
>>91263256
It was a fake memory, you fucking idiot.
Did you even watch the episode?
>>
>>91263392
>reddit spacing
>"why would anyone like something I wouldn't like?"
> "fuck that" in all cap.
>quit bitching about a show I like it hurts my fee fees
You are not welcome here, newfag.
>>
>>91263256
A running gag with Rick is that he's virtually omnipotent but also cares about relatively insignificant things that are out of character for someone of his intelligence or position. It's no different than this obsession with nugget sauce.
Remember when he scalped 3DSs at Walmart? Or when they went for ice cream? Blips and Chitz in general?
>>
Not canon until later episodes prove ptherwise.

How can Rick bring down the galactic government by changingredients the value of currency? When Jerry gother paid in pills. Why didn't the bugs just change their currency value back?

Rick is still in the brain-a-lyzer.
>>
>>91277406
Retard comment.

>Not canon until later episodes prove ptherwise.

So evil Morty isn't canon since he hasn't been referenced since his introduction? If you need more episodes for something to become canon, half the show is non-canon.

>How can Rick bring down the galactic government by changingredients the value of currency?

You missed the joke. He made the currency WORTHLESS, which means it's impossible to buy/sell things. If you wanted something, you would need to steal it.

>When Jerry gother paid in pills.
Jerry got paid in pills because he was an office worker, but since they had a house and such still they obviously had some strong benefits, like the butler bot.

> Why didn't the bugs just change their currency value back?

Because you're retarded. It was a panic riot, changing it back wouldn't solve the riot any more than apologizing to BLM would stop one of their riots. Changing something back wouldn't fix things before the panic spread.

>Rick is still in the brain-a-lyzer.

Factually incorrect, he left it in season 3 episode 1.
>>
>>91277312
>he breaks character
>"n-no it's supposed to be like that. It's a joke"
>>
>>91262746
I've wanted Jerry dead for years, but getting rid of him is good enough
>>
>>91262996
The spongebob formula shouldn't be applied to shows for adults
>>
>>91262795
Three
>Nothing is canon, the individual episodes may or may not follow the same universe as it did the last time and they may or may not switch back and forth at will
>>
>>91263152
I thought it was the creators poking fun at people expecting this to be a drama series instead of a comedy cartoon.
>>
>>91274751
No, search darkest ending ever on YouTube. Resistors literally believe Rick and Morty is the darkest show ever
>>
File: special-sauce.jpg (23KB, 270x300px) Image search: [Google]
special-sauce.jpg
23KB, 270x300px
>>91262490
It only took 97 years (actually less then 97 hours but we did it! *I guess)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBhhlE92mIQ
>>
>>91263620
kys libertarian autismo
>>
>>91263620

What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
The real april fool's joke is that the ending was completely non-canon. When the season premieres it will be replaced with the actual ending. Screencap this and remember.
>>
The episode is obviously the season 3 finale. It hits all the same notes that a finale should. That's the April fools
>>
>>91262490
>my mfw when my favorite youtubber is a reddit & memey fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBhhlE92mIQ

time to unsub
>>
>>91277312
so he's autistic
>>
>>91278549
Why do you think hes so smart?
>>
>>91278148
I should also point out reddit might of beat us and after I made a thread on ck a couple days ago too....
https://www.reddit.com/r/rickandmorty/comments/63421w/several_years_back_i_made_a_copycat_version_of/
>>
File: you have autism.gif (698KB, 200x113px) Image search: [Google]
you have autism.gif
698KB, 200x113px
>>91278543
Thread posts: 246
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.