[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So anyone think Jerry is the only rational person on this show?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 180
Thread images: 16

So anyone think Jerry is the only rational person on this show? He tries to sever ties from the insanity and the rest of the family crawls right back to it.
They try and make him out to be a meg, but it irritates me that he is the only voice of reason on the show.
>>
>>91250380
remember that he can actually do shit when separated from Beth and/or middle class life.
>>
>>91250451
Just bothers me that they make him out to be a weasely cuck when he is the only one that sees the shit for what it is.
Outside of the hilarity that ensues from rick's shenanigans, he is the only one that recognizes that rick is why they can't be normal, and now it looks like instead of giving the character some recognition they are cutting him from the show or making him out to be even more pathetic.
>>
He's a Meg done right, a character that is hated and shit on but everyone else but the writers give you a compelling reason to side with him the further down the line you go, as opposed to Meg who's just as bad if not worse than her family in many respects.
>>
>>91250594
I think they will put him on a side track where he develops, Jerry as a moderately successful person would make an interesting foil for Rick as the household gets worse.
it's been implied his issues are largely from being codependent with "rick lite with tits" and Beth being increasingly swayed with her daddy issues is going to crank up her fuckedupness, and would setup well fro Rick really fucking up at the next season ending and finally driving her to kick Rick away and go to Jerry for help.
and Jerry is happy to help but states he can't go back to their failed relationship and their marriage really is over
>>
>>91250380
Have you seen family guy recently?
Meg it's the voice of reason now, and all the family still hate her.
You are supposed to relate to Jerry, he is an almost, average joe.
>>
>>91250380
Most of the fandom doesn't like Jerry from what I've seen, they get pissy about him actually standing up to Rick.
>>
File: red-herring[1].jpg (14KB, 434x188px) Image search: [Google]
red-herring[1].jpg
14KB, 434x188px
>taking anything in the april's fool day episode seriously, until proven to be fact in later episodes.
>>
>>91252028
It's /co/'s job to be fake mad, and take everything at face value. This is nothing new
>>
>>91251924
>they get pissy about him actually standing up to Rick.

That's the only time I like him
>>
>>91251924
It's because they see themselves as Rick: the cool, nihilistic genius ho's hilarious and wacky and loved by everyone and deep and cool and a genius and if you don't agree you're just a HATER
>>
>>91251924
jerry is essentially the american equivalent of chi chi

sure they come off as unlikable shits but they are ultimately in the right for not wanting their father in law/husband endangering the life of their family/son
>>
>>91251924
Standing up to Rick is basically the only thing he's ever done that's worth praise unless you're giving him the "better parent than Beth" participation award.
>>
>>91250921
S-stop anon.

I can only get so erect.
>>
>>91253705
>better parent than Beth
Is he though?
>>
>>91253760
Beth is an alcoholic that sees her children as the reason she's not a human doctor and her wimpy husband's failings distilled, respectively. It's arguable that a well-meaning but dopey coward is better.
>>
>>91250921
Beth is going to attempt to kill Rick in a cliffhangar
>>
>>91253760
What? Yes.

We've seen actual evidence of Jerry bonding with Summer and Morty and actually attempting to be a good father figure who provides for his family emotionally and financially.

All of Beth's interratctions with the rest of her family revoolve almost entirely around marital disputes and zingers aimed at Jerry, literal abuse aimed at Summer and a history of alcoholism.

Outside of earning her family's keep, Beth is a garbage parent and literally threw the long-term happiness and sustainability of her family unit under the bus because of her daddy issues.
>>
>>91253567
Chi Chi is still kind of a bitch tho. I get Gohan wanting to become "a scholar" just like his mother wants him to be but she still flips her shit if he or Goten aren't holding a book ever hour of the day.
>>
>>91253705
>everyone forgets when Jerry saved his family in Rick Potion No. 9
>or when he tried to have a nice happy Christmas with his family just for them to shit on him
>or when the only thing that could motivate him to save people from the Meeseeks was Beth saying she loved him
>or when he threw away his ego in the Pluto episode to make right with Morty
>or when he set up a ridiculous plan to help Beth operate on that deer
>or when he used his own faults and failings as a person creatively to save Beth in the marriage counseling episode
>or when he was the only Jerry to actually attempt to leave the interdimensional daycare and return to his family
>or when he agreed to let his family keep Rick around even though it was going to end their normal lives forever, just so they would be happy
Jerry has his faults, but he's also the least shitty person on the show. He's dumb and can be selfish but he legitimately loves his family. Meanwhile every other character on the show has killed, attempted to kill, or abandoned their family at the drop of a hat. Jerry by no means deserves any of the shit he gets.
>>
What's the song that plays during the ending rant rick has?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV08OubXDGo
>>
>>91253837
If Beth spent less time shooting Jerry down and supporting him maybe the guy would do a little better he can really pull through when he gets some support from the people who should be supporting him.
>>
>>91254276
>Jerry has his faults, but he's also the least shitty person on the show.

To be honest, it used to be Morty but he went through some real shit. I wonder what he will think of his dad now, after what Rick said to him at the end of the episode.
>>
>>91251924
The fandom toes the line between normalfag and autistic. Meaning they can't wrap their heads around things they aren't told directly, instead seeing it as a binary situation where Rick says Jerry's bad so Jerry must be a bad character. Every member of the family is a great character, and I don't think Jerry's role is going to be minimized all that much from where it is now.
>>
>>91254519
/co/ has a long standing issue with understanding the distinction between the entertainment quality of a character and that characters' in universe quality as a person.
Rick is a great character largely based on how terrible he is as a person.
>>
>>91254449
Don't forget that Morty tried to brainwash and rape a girl before anything really fucked up ever happened to him
>>
>>91250921
I like the idea of Jerry being successful without her (if it wouldn't get annoying, him and Mr. Poopybutthole would make great roommates because they've both been hurt by her) and then Beth trying to fight back against Rick who's become even more of a monster. The only question is where they go from there.
>>
>>91251924
no shit the fans are mostly teenagers and man children

of course they'd hate the reasonable father
>>
File: 72863587326582.png (72KB, 629x572px) Image search: [Google]
72863587326582.png
72KB, 629x572px
Why are R&M fans so much more obnoxious than any other fandom? Not even the pony faggots pushed their shit this hard into conversations.
>>
>>91250380
he's the he's turning into a Lisa Simpson but not yet, bad shit happening to him is funny. Rational? I guess? I mean I don't like when families fall apart. So if he was rational he would rational ways to deal with rick then cutting ties.
>>
>>91257211
wow they even got went caps lock for that one
>>
>>91254276
Jerry is the only "real" person on the show. Everyone else is just a bizarre caricature of a person, except arguably Rick.
>>
>>91253567

Eh. Goku just wants some sort of backup plan, ANY sort of backup plan if for whatever reason he can't fight the big bad. It's touched in the cell and buu saga that Goku can never stop training, because no-one else can or is willing to pick up the slack.

If he decides he just wants to be a farmer, that's earth annihilated the next time someone comes over, as Goku wasn't training 24/7 anymore. Gohan can be stronger, but is unwilling to fight, and Goku being a good dad doesn't actually force him to do it, or guilt him into doing it (past that one kamehameha in the cell saga when he really needed to shut up), he just encourages him

Everyone in the Kakarot family is alright, and has good intentions.

Meanwhile, the Sanchez family is fucked up, top to bottom. Jerry becomes codependent on anyone who allows it, and it keeps him happy but stops him reaching his potential. Beth is irrational and one step away from being suicidally depressed over her 'lack of achievements' and daddy issues, when she'd do better just trusting in herself.

Summer is relatively normal, but again is obsessive over Rick's love, and dismissive of Jerry though to be honest, Jerry only acts truly pathetic towards his children (trying to mooch money, deliberately obfuscating critical phone calls).

Morty is a ticking time bomb. He's initially portrayed as retarded, but it's shown he can think on his feet, and heavily implied (and eventually outright stated) that Rick fiddles with him to basically be a better tool. Add that to some serious anger issues, a lust for murder, and the fact he does hold people accountable for their bullshit, evil Morty basically exists right now. Morty easily suffers the worst in the Sanchez family, despite being extremely ordinary.

That being said, people like to create caricatured versions of characters, who are usually caricatures themselves, leading to a massive polarisation in opinions on people. Put simply, all these characters are massive pieces of shit
>>
File: 1462703306199.jpg (7KB, 207x244px) Image search: [Google]
1462703306199.jpg
7KB, 207x244px
>>91250380
>voice of reason
>wants to be w/ sleepy gary
>that hobo scene when he ditches his wife and locks himself in the car
>>
>>91250921
>and Jerry is happy to help but states he can't go back to their failed relationship and their marriage really is over

That is the only way they can redeem Jerry's character.
>>
>>91250921

Jerry would probably get spousal support, as he seems to earn way less money. It'd be neat if he gets a part time job, joins a community theater group, and occasionally nails some twink who reminds him of Sleepy Gary. Just basically enjoys his life.

Because >>91254276 is right. Jerry is at his best when he's not thinking and just taking action.
>>
>>91257704
I really, REALLY, want Jerry to move on and meet a woman who genuinely cares for him and for him to start a family and be happy. That guy fucking deserves it for all the bullshit he's had to put up with.
>>
>jerry
>voice of reason
>the character you are supposed to relate to
dumber than reddit
>>
>for once the wife is the shittier parent
>but truthfully their both shitty parents
>Rick is probably the shittiest one of them all though
Wew lad.
>>
>>91254259
She's just trying to deny her hick fighter roots to be normal compared to Goku.
>>
>>91250380
i wouldn't call him rational, but he's fine. he's not perfect, but he's fine. he doesn't get treated fine. he generally treats others fine, he gets a little mad but he never hurts them. he doesn't have the authority to hurt them
>>
>>91254259
Chi Chi's a tiger mom. Super common among asian parents.
>>
I love Rick and Morty but I really enjoy the episodes where the show Rick's persona is a front for a deeply fucked up and flawed man and I hope when they end the show they show everyone how his general attitude towards life is not only incorrect but also detrimental to everyone else around him. They did an AMAZING job at showing this in the Unity episode.
>>
>>91253567
for someone whose dad is a fucking mountain ogre, who used to run around in a metal bikini with a fucking beam-shooting kirby cutter helmet, who lives in the goddamn woods, she has a BIZARRE idea of what normal life is. In this setting, it's about fighting. it's about being strong and fighting and protecting the earth. period.
>>91257671
Son family*
>>91254259
that said, Abridged gave us a really legit motivation: she knows he's likely to die and leave her with no support in her old age, something literally only she needs to worry about since nobody else ages (including the briefs family)
>>
>>91258116
>including the briefs family
Since when the fuck do they not age?
>>
>>91250380
For fuck's sake, stop making multiple threads about this shitty character and this shitty show. Is it THAT hard to keep your autism in one place?
>>
>>91257838
he's literally the only person in the family who doesn't worship the ground Rick walks on, the same reason the fans fucking hate him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUtyzQ09jSI

The guy's biggest flaw is him being awkward. The other family members are just massively condescending douchebags
>>
>>91258116
Brief isn't their last name, mistranslation fuck up by Funi.

Bulma's father's name is Brief.
>>
>>91258274
wha? but he's a doctor. doctors don't go by their given names.
>>
>>91254292

So did they just backpedal on whatever character development Rick got?
>>
>>91258169
>Since when the fuck do they not age?
since decades have passed in the show and none of them show the slightest signs of aging. Look at fuckin' Panty. Do you know how old she's supposed to be?
fuckin.. old. I used to think she was just the doc's hot new squeeze after he left bulma's mom, but no. that's her mom.
>>
Morty is the voice of reason obviously.

Jerry is the moral center. He's simple and oblivious and cowardly but he's a good person.
>>
All I wanna know is when will McDonald's re-release that szchuan sauce.
>>
>>91258500
If McDonald's doesn't do it for the Live Action Mulan, some one else will
>>
File: 1480219259524.jpg (184KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1480219259524.jpg
184KB, 960x1280px
>"Fuck Tammy"

anyone else hate this reddit meme phrase when they see it online?
>>
>>91258460
The way I saw it was that they don't care about giving him some sad backstory or really any backstory at all. It's just a comedy show.
>>
>>91258262
I really liked Jerry and didn't get why everyone shit on him in season 1. He seemed like a good all around guy who was an everyman, and then they made him a slimeball and pathetic in season 2, something they didn't establish in 1.

I feel abd that they shit on him like that, I hope he becomes cool dad. Like some sort of charming renegade Jerry. I mean outside of the simulation of this episode, I want him to succeed and not give anyone shit for treating him poorly. He deserves better.
>>
>>91258731

Yeah except this isn't comedy, this is straight up soap opera drama.
>>
>>91250380
>New Season
>Axe the straight-man immediately
I'm okay with Jerry, he's a wet sandwich in his environment but we've seen him adapt and excel in alien situations or if his family is endangered by something other than Rick, (Not including Rick's bullshit of course).
It's a shame that he's been out but I'm holding out on an Jerry episode where we can see his character in the spotlight and the focus. Have him reflect on his life choices and realize he wasn't the ideal husband let alone a good one, have him realize Rick offered all the excitement he didn't, don't give him an easy out and make him work for improvement.
I want to believe there's potential for Jerry, but I won't deny it's just as likely that he'll move back in half-way through via deus ex machina bullcrap. Here's to holding out to the latter and not being surprised to see the Squidward/Meg esk whipping boy come back.
>>
>>91250380
Beth irritates me the most. Jerry is being rational yet she shits on Jerry because he's worried about his life.
>>
>>91258768
well they had to justify everyone's hate towards him so they killed his character

>>91259051
the whole reason she married jerry was so she could have a passive, submissive man she could control so he'd never run out on her like Rick did.

except that one episode where they were fated to be together. They kind of took a massive shit on the established plot with that episode
>>
>>91256967
>Jerry and Mr. Poopy Butthole being roommates

i didn't realise how much i wanted this
>>
>>91257682
>Using what is almost explicitly stated to be the single shittiest moment of Jerry's life as a moral person as evidence that he's worthless as a whole
>>
File: Birdperson.jpg (18KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Birdperson.jpg
18KB, 400x400px
I never really god why people liked Bird Person so much. He will always defend Rick, even when Rick is clearly in the wrong and will guilt trip Morty into trying to help Rick again, which is only going to hurt Morty even more.

When Tammy killed him, that was catharsis for me.
>>
File: Rick_and_Morty_pixelsandpaint.png (1MB, 1119x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Rick_and_Morty_pixelsandpaint.png
1MB, 1119x1920px
>>91250380
I hate the hero-worship of Rick after all he's done. He's more interesting as an emotionally broken genius than he is as an action hero.

Jerry's a dope but he I find him more sympathetic than Beth and Summer acting like Rick never did anything wrong.
>>
>>91258262
Morty doesn't worship the ground he walks on.
>>
>>91259441
I think Bird Person was meant to humanize Rick a little. Being a pretty chill guy who was willing to turn a blindside to Rick's bad side because he was apparently saved by him when Rick still believed in something.

I don't really see the how Tammy or the Federation is any worse than current-Rick though.
>>
>>91259593
I didn't mind because season 2 showed character development and had Rick actually suffer consequences for his actions.

Then season 3 took a massive shit on all of that
>>
>>91259441

Bird person is the straight man. He strikes me as a guy who knows Rick and has an understanding of the guy. They went through a whole lot together and he doesn't want Rick hurt even though he's clearly an asshole, because he believes Rick's heart is ultimately in the right place.

Bird Person is skeevy as fuck though. Everything else aside he's fucking a teenaged girl and doesn't seem that concerned with things happening right now. You just have to track what he himself says and does. The war against the galactic government was still on, but he's just sitting at home fucking his pubescent fiancee.
>>
>>91259441
Birperson was like the only person who got Rick, and that was his best buddy. So he told Morty to not hate on him too much because he can't really open up to anyone. Guy is hurting and needs support, he just can't ask for it.

All that shit with Rick doing it just to get at Jerry was bullshit.
>>
>>91250380
Nah, he's just afraid and angry at everything he doesn't understand and would rather take others away from it before even trying to do so, just like any other middle class middle aged person.
He may be partially right now, but only as much a broken clock, and you know one like those isn't the most reliable tool to tell time.
>>
>>91259800
I was kind of hoping that it would be a simulation fake-out in the end.
>>
>>91259980
He wasn't like that till season 2, and you can't really blame the guy when Rick and everyone else treats him like shit. If they were welcoming to the guy he could get into some shit and enjoy himself.

Nobody likes this guy, not his bosses, not his family, not his parents. There's no real reason for it either, not until later. The only person who likes him is Johnny Depp.
>>
File: JonOstermanNothingEnds.png (346KB, 299x474px) Image search: [Google]
JonOstermanNothingEnds.png
346KB, 299x474px
>>91259991
That could still happen.
>>
File: 1336413132045.jpg (53KB, 510x370px) Image search: [Google]
1336413132045.jpg
53KB, 510x370px
>Some people actually like rick

He's a self-destructive, fucked up God as morty properly said. They try to play up some sort of excuse for his behavior but it falls flat.
>>
>>91260152
I doubt they'll backtrack on everything with the way it ended, but it'd be a pretty great fake-out if they did.
>>
>>91260073
>He wasn't like that till season 2
Nah, he was, just not as prominently.
>and you can't really blame the guy
I can, sure, other people treat him like shit, but what do you call someone who tries the same thing over and over and expects to get different results? You have to admit that most of the contempt towards him (at least in the first season) comes from his own lack of reasoning, which is quite big.
>>
>>91260255

>people like the most basic cartoon show possible

this shit just sucks.
>>
>>91260073
His regression as a person is actually a testament to how great a person he is. Is entire family from his wife to his kids to his father in law shit on him constantly. He could either match their assholeness and wipe his hands of them or he could try to be even more passive to a fault to still try to get a loving relationship with them.

He's basically the opposite of Rick. By all accounts he should walk away from them but he isn't.
>>
>>91260283
What else can he do though other than walk away?
>>
>>91260283
He lacks reasoning, but he's willing to make things right. He tried with nRick, he did that amazing shit for his wife with the deer, he attempted to get hom from the daycare after sneaking on to Rick's ship.

He does try different things, but no matter what he does everyone hates him.
>>
>>91259800
>>91260255
I could get behind the character development of him being suicidal and mentally unstable over learning too much about himself and the multi-universe, but now I'm not sure where they're going with his arc after he's gotten away with everything scot-free.
>>
>>91254259
>Chi Chi is still kind of a bitch tho. I get Gohan wanting to become "a scholar" just like his mother wants him to be but she still flips her shit if he or Goten aren't holding a book ever hour of the day.

They're Asians, bruh. This is just how they do things.
>>
>>91259441
Bird person operates in another type of thought
All bird person knows is that for some Reason Rick always gets his way
He even offered Morty a place to love with his family in case he decided to run away instead of trying to stop him
>>
>>91260430
No one talks about how he was able to have a great relationship with the "stupid" Rick. What was the point of that even?
>>
>>91254259
She loosened up a lot by the time Goten was born and Gohan went to public school. She outright admits she doesn't mind if Goten doesn't want to pursue an education because he's so much more like his father than Gohan ever was. She's still strict about Gohan's education mostly because by then he made the choice to go to high school himself and she wants to see him succeed. She's pretty hard on Goku all the time but honestly she has to be. He's the kinda guy who needs a good nagging or else he'd never do anything.
>>
>>91258169
The Brief's are fucking immortals. These pictures are decades apart chronologically, and they actually look YOUNGER on top.
>>
>>91259800
To be fair, all we've seen of Season 3 is the literal April fools episode.
>>
>>91260474
Happy people with healthy relationships are idiots. Real geniuses are miserable assholes
>>
>>91260586
Well he's the worlds most ingenious scientist
>>
>>91258262
Jerry is like a character out of another show
He is scared and emotional and in a world with end of the world situations happening every other day he breaks down over mundane things like doing bad at his job or being harrassed by a hobo
It's funny how even tho he comes out as mundane he is every bit as a fantasy element as Rick, while Rick is incredibly adventurous jery is incredibly boring and safe
>>
>>91250594
>hey are cutting him from the show or making him out to be even more pathetic.

No they're not.

voice actor confirmed he's done several episodes and also hinted that jerry might get redeemed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saAWzcOLH9Y
>>
File: Jerry_Other Rick.png (893KB, 1280x683px) Image search: [Google]
Jerry_Other Rick.png
893KB, 1280x683px
>>91260474
I miss stupid Rick.
>>
>>91260372
>What else can he do
Seek knowledge and understanding rather than run away from it.
Be less aggressive when trying to separate his family from Rick, the way in which he approaches the subject only causes a contrarian reaction in his family.
>>91260430
>he attempted to get hom
You mean before he got back and immediately, instead of admitting his own shortcomings and lack of capability to take care of the situation, decides collectively to suck his own dick?
Sure he has done, some things some times, but not only are these not entirely related to the actual problem (Rick) but they are also sporadic and have very little impact on the long term.
>>
>>91260961
>Be less aggressive when trying to separate his family from Rick
Like when he calmly explained how staying with Rick would destroy their children's' futures and Beth immediately shot him down in favor of saying she would do anything Rick says?
>>
>>91258169
clones, maybe?
>>
File: 200_s.gif (27KB, 356x200px) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
27KB, 356x200px
>>91250380
>failed marriage
>only together for kids, and some of the time only because he still holds on to the love he once had, in hopes that he can rekindle it, even though it's painfully obvious that he will never get back what he once had, if he ever even had it and it wasn't just confused teenage hormones like how most relationships at that age are
>wife pretty much can't stand you
>one kid is actually retarded and can't do shit, other is a stereotypical dumb, white slut who is more easily swayed by her grandpa than a cheap politician who gets handed a stack of bills from a big company
>your father in law is a psychopathic maniac who cares only about his own shit, the only times he ever helps anyone else is so he can set up situations in the future that are beneficial to him, or are at least DEEPLY personally motivated
>no one believes you and everyone refuses to see the truth, you're looked at as the bad person seeing things where they aren't
>no matter what bad happens, no matter how much evidence piles up, no one ever takes your side, rick is god, fuck jerry
>finally, after all this time, when they think rick is gone, beth finally takes his side for once in the relationship against her father
>everything looks like it could be fixed, everything wasn't a waste
>rick comes back
>finally have enough of taking the passive aggressive route and give the ultimatum that will finally settle the borderline emotional abuse he suffers day to day

God I fucking hope it turns out that it wasn't Beth that went apeshit and told him that they were getting a divorce, I hope to fucking god that how it happened is that Beth tried being apologetic for Rick and Jerry saw that he was never going to win, so he finally did what he had to do.

Let's be honest though, the writers are SJWs now so it's all gonna be in favor of Beth. There goes any vindication of a character who's been shit on verbally and emotionally every day for two seasons.
>>
>>91250380
I hope jerry gets an episode where it shows he has a better life away from his family and the family will want him back for whatever reason.
>>
>>91250451
When did this happen?

If you're talking about his job with the Galactic Federation, he didn't even know what he was doing.
>>
>>91261155
>>91260961
He's done this multiple times, aside from that can you blame him? Being gentle means they shit on him, and being agressive means they shit on him. Despite the evidence literally trying to kill them on multiple occasions but they still syck his rick.

The fact that he keeps trying despite all this bullshit says something in itself.
>>
>>91261206
>>91261209
I hope Jerry finds a real Sleepy Gary.
>>
>>91258578
Please tell me that this pic is fake
>>
>>91261155
>>91261221
I think you believe that when I say aggressive I mean "shouting and flailing his arms". This is not the full scope of the meaning behind the word "aggressive", but perhaps, a better word would be "antagonistic", as I said, being simply contrarian begets simplistic contrarianism. He has also not done this "multiple times" he had done it a couple of times, the rest he is proactively an annoyance and his family already has a mental image of him being a hindrance who only wants to keep them away from Rick due to his own insecurities.
You are, as well, forgetting that Jerry can get a happy ending, in Poison no. 9 he effectively and permanently breaks this mental image and get respect from his family; meaning that it is possible, it's still going to be a lot harder when not in a post-apocalyptic situation, and he tries, but not consistently.
>>
>>91250380
Too bad he is also a cuck.
He wants to be a regular sitcom family dad, but this show is not that kind of setting. It's his inability to adapt that pisses me off about him. Even when he finds himself in unusual situations he still tries to solve things "normally".

But it's Rick's own fault that he has to suffer him in the first place. He needs a Morty after all and the only people able to provide him these are his own daughter and Jerry.
>>
>>91250380
This is why I stopped watching this piece of shit show. Everyone besides the supposed biggest moron in the show is acting completely irrationally by the end of season 2. Goes to show how well these characters are written.
>>
>>91261500
*brohoofs*
>>
>>91261557
*memepalms*
>>
File: tumblr_ohxjjzdp0Z1uu6abao1_500.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ohxjjzdp0Z1uu6abao1_500.gif
2MB, 500x281px
Am I the only one who doesn't think that it's a coincidence that when pic related is the most popular villain in the mainstream media at this point, Rick gets literally rewritten from a guy who has legitimate reasons for what he does and is deeply fucked emotionally and mentally, resulting in whatever he tries to do in the name of good going horribly wrong, into a literal 100% evil character that's really """likable""" and quirky?

Seriously, tell me if I'm Alex Jones level, but I don't think I am.
>>
>>91255108
>>
>>91250380
The show is supposed to have flawed characters. And it's OK for a show to include charcters who are shitty people. Jerry is disliked because, while he's morally in the right here, he's still a wet blanket because no one wants to watch Jerry and Morty. It's good that he got a moment to be the voice of reason, but if he got his way there'd be no conflict and no show. So now we instead get a bit of drama where it's really fucking apparent how much Rick is shitting up his own family because he can't get his own shit together.

Beth's in her own shitty situation where she's forced to choose between her father whose love she so desperately wants and her husband who, in her eyes, forced an ultimatum. We as the viewers can see it plainly as being Rick's fault for having this dysfunctional relationship with his daughter where he can basically hang the implied threat of leaving again to get away with whatever he wants.

And, well, we're not here to watch Rick be a saint, he's an amoral cock whose neglect and callous attitude is starting to rub off on Morty who has to struggle to rationalize the fucked-up situations they keep running into. He's not a completely irredeemable cock. He has been shown to care about his family to some degree, he'll pick up that something was off with Morty and kill the guy that he thinks hurt his grandson casually, he'll dive into danger to save Morty and pray to a God he doesn't believe in thinking he's actually fucked because of it, he'll become suicidal after realizing just how much of a toxic influence he is on other people, but he's still a shitty unempathetic person that struggles to give a fuck about anything.
>>
>>91261213
Cronenberg world.
>>
>>91250380
Morty didn't. He just wasn't willing to get involved with shit he couldn't control. He was right to do so. Even a little bit of resistance set Rick off.

Morty striking out on his own needs to happen. He's getting more and more vengful of Rick and more and more autonomous each episode.
>comedy show
>rick is funniest
>there will never be a real story
JUST
>>
>>91253460
>look at me, im a contrarian, i have to hate whatever the fanbase likes
Its just a fucking show
>>
>>91260897
He's not even stupid. He just looks goofy and isn't as sociopathic as other Ricks.
>>
>>91259441
Birdperson knows a side of Rick the audience has yet to see. Apparently a more righteous Rick. He saved his life afterall.
>>
>>91262135
And as for >>91261676, we currently have no idea what the fuck that speech was about at the end other than funny. Maybe Rick's got some crazy ass plan, maybe is a crazy ass lie, maybe it's actually crazy, maybe the whole episode's not canon. Maybe it's another Rick, or maybe it's something Rick does because he doesn't know how to not be a dick anymore and it's easier to say it's because he's just an evil bastard than because he's lost all hope of finding any meaning in being alive.

It's not like he's suddenly being rebranded or whatever the fuck meme trend people want to trot out as an explanation for something. He's just supposed to be an unlikable dick right now and until we get more episodes there's not really much anyone can say about whether he's being made into some archetype you personally don't like. You don't like him right now? Good, no one else does, he's clearly a prick! Or maybe he's not entirely! No one knows, but you can enjoy a character as a source of entertainment without wanting to shake their hand. I'd much rather hang out with Walker, Texas Ranger than Nox, but the latter's series was way the fuck more fun to watch.
>>
Can the show get any more confusing about which versions of the family members we are following anymore?
It seems like Rick has switched the family twice now and his body a couple of times and Morty has switched once
>>
>>91259593
But he is being set up for consequences, isn't he? He's lost the trust of Morty, he's fully aware he's breaking his family apart, and the bits of Rick we saw the last two seasons have established that these are things RIck wouldn't want. He's hurting everyone he loves and he seems like he's growing even more hopeless knowing that just being around others and sharing anything about what he knows only serves to spread his nihilism. Even if Beth and Summer think he's some big damn hero, Morty knows what's actually gone down. This isn't going to end without shit sucking for Rick.
>>
>>91262325
I'm not sure how he ranks against the other Ricks, but he's still clearly a genius.
>>
>>91253935
...No? Jerry's actually attempted to mentor his son, but abandoned the planetarium project the moment he was showered with acknowledgement and attention from some aliens. He tried to reconcile too late. Beth (or at least Cronenburg world Beth) encouraged her son to hang out with her dad and only objected to that when presented with evidence that it was hurting Morty's schooling. The ONLY time Jerry has ever been shown to be a caring father was when he expressed interest in watching Morty learn how to drive the space ship.

Both Beth and Jerry are terrible parents towards Summer unless she's doing something self destructive like joining that giant head cult-- Jerry tried to fleece money out of his own daughter and Beth was drunk in front of her that one time, so I'm not sure who is really worse, but it's established pretty early on that Beth is the breadwinner and providing EVERYTHING for the family after Jerry lost his job.

He's too obsessed with himself and his side of the marriage. He could have tried to get any sort of part-time job, even if it was something as 'low' as working at a Wal-mart or something and that would still be doing shit.
>>
>>91259736
they made a fake galatic federation discord tumblr leading up to this new season that showed the Federation doing pretty horrid stuff to humans casually, too bad none of that will get touched on now
>>
>>91262772
Isn't that the joke? That even the retard version of Rick is still very smart.
>>
>>91261213
he can kill monsters when the world ends and when he gets away from Beth does cocaine with Johnny dep and gets studios to give him millions to make shitty movies.
>>
>>91262536

The Morty we have is 100% original. Same Morty we've had since Episode 1; hasn't changed a bit.

Rick is the same Rick as Episode 1, but as of the last episode he's body-hopped a few times. Since the majority of Ricks seem to be approximately biologically identical to one another, we're going to assume any physical differences between the body Rick's in now and the one he started in are minimal.

The Summer, Beth, Jerry, and entire rest of the world for that matter are new compared to Episode 1. Episode 1 World got Chronenberg'd; presumably, all other humans in that universe are now either dead or monstrosities, and only Alpha Summer/Beth/Jerry are left.

Rick and Morty still go by C-137, so presumably they keep the same designation regardless of whether they hop around between dimensions. I'd assume it's a relatively common practice among Ricks.
>>
>>91261213
the alternative world where he never marries Beth
Beth is still an alcoholic (but a doctor!) while Jerry is a washed up actor who was still very successful
>>
>>91261213
>If you're talking about his job with the Galactic Federation, he didn't even know what he was doing.

And yet he was extremely successful at it.

Also, even though they play "I just kept crawling until I got home" for laughs, it's important to note that it still fucking worked. It seems like every other Galactic Employee died in the chaos or some shit, but whether he was aware of it or not, Jerry's "crawl and keep crawling" strategy was obviously the best one for his survival.
>>
>>91262908
When I say Morty switched I mean that he changed the family once and Rick probably did so twice at least.
>>
>>91254449
>>91256035
He also abandoned his family
>>
>>91259840
Tammy's 18
>>
>>91263196
I've been assuming that the Rick who abandoned Episode 1 Beth and the other Beth that the show's focused on is not Our Rick.

Our Rick probably DID have something similar to the Garage Incident seen in Season 3 happen to him, went on alot of adventures that hardened him and eventually settled in a universe where a different Rick abandoned Beth and Diane but they were still alive.

Not trying to defend him here, but deep down, Our Rick knows that they aren't his Beth and Diane, and any other shit he's been through makes him able to do shit like bailing on the Cronenburg world he helped cause. But the Morty that's been around since episode one is HIS Morty in some capacity, and however fucked up he is, him trying to be there for his Morty makes him separate from the Council of Rick shitheads who forced him into completing the portal gun.
>>
>>91262817
Ah, that makes sense.

Wish they had spread out the occupation plot for another few episodes.
>>
>>91260255
>They try to play up some sort of excuse for his behavior but it falls flat.
They don't. it's pretty obvious Rick is an evil sociopath
>>
>>91261206
Why would they support Beth when it's so blatantly obvious that she's in the wrong.
>>
>>91263460
I don't know anon, why have they been doing it for the past two seasons?
>>
>>91260586
I'm worried Bulma does age more than her mom
>>
>>91263460
Because most people are locked into a binary thought process and perceive that whoever is right in one area is right in them all. There can be no middle ground and whoever wins is right and supported by the divine right to rule.
>>
>>91260848
What an embarrassing interview. That guy sounds like he hasn't spoken face to face with a person in years.
>>
>>91263371
I don't know why you give me that speech when I'm talking Morty completely abandoned his family.
>>
>>91250380
The last scene where Beth apathetically let Jerry go when told her to to pick him or Rick really pissed me off.
>>
>>91263508
>>91263593

Jerry might be pathetic and mediocre, but it's made very obvious by the writers that Rick is being manipulative and is a bad influence on the family, and Beth is too attached to her father to compensate for him abandoning her when she was young.

Why would the writers make something so explicit and go against what's been established?
>>
>>91263802
To me it proves she never really loved him. All the shit Rick has done and she's still going to go with him? Because he's family? Well guess what so was Jerry and he didn't pull anywhere near the shit Rick did.

I really hope the writers make Jerry happy now. They have a choice to finally make this show self aware and they better now waste it.
>>
Everyone barring Morty is a shit person. Morty has the chance not to be but that's it. Technically everyone has redemptive features but the frequency of faults versus strengths is set so that, unless you relate to that character you won't accept the counter balance.
If you like Jerry you are more Jerry-like. If you like Rick you are more Rick-like because the things in Rick that are good are noticed more often as those 'strengths' are more relatable and familar than Jerry's.
I think Jerry is a bit of a sad cunt but I hate Beth. Sans this last episode I love Morty AND Summer.
It's literally just projection and the sooner you realise that the better for everyone (meant for not just you but everyone in this autism storm)
>>
>>91263802
>>91263950
Most of the problems the family has are because of Rick (ie Cronenberg world is blamed on Morty but is Rick's fault, Mr. Poopybutthole being shot is blamed on Beth but it's actually Rick's fault), but Rick deflects all blame from himself.

Beth really loves Jerry, but is too blinded by Rick to realize that Jerry's right. Rick abandoned her when she was young and now never wants him to leave again.
>>
>>91264010
Only non shit person was stupid Rick. Because only the mentally challenged are capable of being happy and treating other with respect
>>
>>91264100
Remember what I said about projection? ,':^)
>>
>>91264087
What really pisses me off is how the show had her and Jerry fated to be together. Cause even though Jerry genuinely loves his wife I feel like Beth just went with him because he was submissive and passive and she wouldn't have to fear him leaving.
>>
>>91264115
Except it's factual that the only person in this show who is happy is stupid Rick
>>
>>91263905
Jerry may be right that Rick is a bastard, but Jerry is still a terrible person in his own right.
>>
>>91264143
Remember their marriage was a shotgun wedding because Jerry knocked her up in high school. It frequently mentioned that their marriage is dysfunctional.

I remember Roiland (or was it Harmon i forgot) remembering how most marriages irl that were supposed to be loving and connected are always dysfunctional and on the verge of divorce.

Their relationship is multifaceted.

>>91264010
>>91264202
irl everyone is a terrible fucking person. what matters is context. Both rick and jerry both use their ego to compensate for their own sense of inadequacy, and both of them when doing so negatively affect the people around them. But Rick, unlike Jerry, doesn't fuck over everyone then when he fixes it, it's always self-serving. You can't do horrible shit, and just not face consequences
>>
>>91264100
Even then, Stupid Rick doesn't even really come off as retarded, just not as a total bastard like the other Ricks. Which, from their point of view, might as well make him retarded, I guess.
>>
>>91264256
Rick always runs from the consequences, that's the point of the portal gun, both as a plot and literary device.
>>
>>91264266
He'd have to be smart enough to make a portal gun, I'd imagine. On the other hand, the other Ricks are big enough assholes to just give him a portal to the Citadel to make fun of him.
>>
>>91250594

Well he IS a weaselly cuck, who ALSO sees shit for what it is.

A character can be a pathetic bag of worthlessness while still knowing what's going on around them.
>>
>>91258116
>something literally only she needs to worry about since nobody else ages (including the briefs family)

it always bugged me how chi chi is younger than bulma yet by the buu saga & super she looks old enough to be bulma's mom
>>
>>91264541
Chi Chi is Asian and Bulma is white
>>
>jerry gets in a fight with rick
>rick just tortures and teases him
>Jerry just keeps fighting
>Rick has a little monologue, about how every universe with Jerry gone has him a happy man and Beth the same and he's only trying to force together something nobody needs
>Jerry spits back, if someone needs anything, it's a father. Beth and he are broken, but he's not a codependent void-filler like him
>Jerry didn't ruin Beth's life, that life was ruined long before he even knew what girls were... oh yeah take poiints Summer, Rick blames you for his daughter's ruin
>Rick snap that he blames JERRY
>Why, cause it's easier? He was a dumb kid, but Jerry laid in the bed he made and tried to build something from it. Rick just leaves. That's not what ANYONE needs, no one needs a parental figure to leave
>NO, Jerry, everyone knows that maternal relations are far more essential to human decelopement that direct paterna-
>OH SHUT THE FUCK UP, YOU ABANDONED YOUR DAUGHTER! Hell, you abadoned her world, and maybe others too. You're uncaring, unflinching, egotistical and think you're hot shit to everyone! So does every teenager who can't grow up. I GREW UP! I built a family! You destroyed millions of your own! How many beths are never going to see their dad again? How many Summers lost their brothers forever for your revenge? How many families will you break and blame on someone else until you realize you're a terrible person? Or maybe you already know, and you're so full of crap you actually think it helps you become smarter.
>...Jerry, I can see the infinite potential. I have been to a million parallel universes. Every Jerry that ends up here is a failure. A simpleton has-been with no career prospects and no concept of the world around him. Every potential event, leading here, leads to nothing. You leave? Fuck, you DIE?!? Everyone's lives are better. Everyone! So you know what that makes me think?
>that maybe if he gives up too he won't still be better than me?
>>
File: 1447028469529.png (48KB, 400x389px) Image search: [Google]
1447028469529.png
48KB, 400x389px
>>91264711
>>
Anyone got a link to the episode?
>>
>>91258437
They call Bulma Dr. Bulma, so I don't know what to tell ya.
>>
>>91259103
Does it really shit on it if that's still the core of their relationship?

Not to mention Mortynight Run has Beth remarry in different timelines.
>>
>>91257671
Yeah people forget that Actual Goku occasionally admits he's EXHAUSTED and wants a back up in case he fails because no one else is fucking cutting it.

I hope Abridged touches on that.
>>
>>91262325
Anon dofus Rick eats shit, he literally eats shit
>>
>>91253422
>That's the only time I like him
You're not the only one
>>
>>91253460
Pretty much this. No, exactly this.
>>91262304
Kill yourself slowly
>>
>>91250594
>they make him out to be a weasely cuck
He fucking is. Don't try and pretend that just because he can see Rick for the asshole that he is removes Jerry's flaws.
The man is a coward and a shitter
>>
Anyone else feel that the latest ep felt very rushed and weird?
>>
>>91261676
Who the fuck is that?
>>
>>91261676
someone give me a quick rundown on the guy in this gif
>>
File: 1485042160930.jpg (703KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1485042160930.jpg
703KB, 2560x1440px
>>91250380
I liked the new episode, and have no strong feelings one way or the other about Jerry.
And there's nothing you can do to change that.
>>
>>91267530
>>91267485
Negan from TWD. He's a character who treats the survivors very brutally and kills members of the main cast. I think the poster is referring to the fact that though Negan's a shitty person and a killer, the fans and show want to like him because he's crude and charismatic/quirky
>>
>>91267588
People still watch TWD?
>>
>>91251924
I personally hate how he can't get a job and keep it.
Outside of that, he is indeed the only semi-rational person. But he's useless as a man, unfit as the supporter of the family and a bad example as a father. He may step up to Rick and rightly so, but he's still a failure. The way I see it, with Rick's influence Morty MAY become smart or at least successful, same for Summer, or at the very least learn something useful for their lives. But if they only had Jerry, it wouldn't be much different from having no father at all.
The only way I'd stop seeing Jerry as a beta cuck would be if he became a successful and independent man, capable not only to standing up to a crazy wacko who will most likely not hurt him, but to stand up to the world and circumstances that would normally destroy him as a person. When he becomes a decent figurehead for his family, I'll be happy to see that. And the divorce feels like a step in the right direction, as long as they keep it as something he decided or agreed instead of having him beg and cry like he usual does.
>>
>>91264541
Bulma's also rich and vain. She's probably been under the knife more than once.
>>
Jerry deserves all the hate he gets and then some. Putting his foot down about Rick was the only decent thing he's ever done as a character/person and he was so very clearly manipulated into even that.

He's without spine, without imagination, and without vision and being whipped by reality into tucking his tails into his leg and being self-consciously "rational" means nothing when you're a bureaucratic drone.
>>
File: 1452598872080 - Copy.png (32KB, 248x399px) Image search: [Google]
1452598872080 - Copy.png
32KB, 248x399px
>>91256035
This is every character gets a love potion plot ever though. Rape just got attached to it in the PC/SJW era and people actually realized the full implications of it.
>>
>>91256035
Technically it's not rape anyway considering that they love you. This isn't sex without consent- this is sex with a person who now wants to give consent and enjoys it.
>>
>>91256035
>>91269334
to explain further- "rape is bad, m'kay" because it can make someone feel bad. If nobody is feeling bad or will ever feel bad, there's no problem.
>>
>>91250380
>Jerry is the only relateable rational one
You were complaining in the other topic. Stop trying to spread your meme.
>>
I honestly think that Jerry is the most stupidest person in the show. It's not even in rationale, he instantly makes his bed the moment he opens his big ass mouth so he can wesal out of shit.

It's gotten to the point where I'm not even surprised that Jerry is going to say something stupid or just "puts his foot down" at this point. Of course you are motherfucker, of course you have to open your whiny shit of a mouth and act like you are smug. You don't even have a job to support yourself for your family until the world's economy basically changed.
>>
>>91259840
>>91263367
This, if you think a guy like Birdperson is skeevy for hitting on a leagal girll, and then later marrying her you're a jackass. Who wouldn't want to hit hot legal ass as long as thye could,
Thread posts: 180
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.