[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's have a thread for good /co/ and/or /co/-related g

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 350
Thread images: 90

Let's have a thread for good /co/ and/or /co/-related games.

FUCK YOU NCSOFT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra7O7LqNh5w
>>
>>91233156
That music tho
>>
File: Ultimate_MvC3_NA.png (1MB, 711x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Ultimate_MvC3_NA.png
1MB, 711x1000px
>>91233156
Which is best of series? Can't decide between 2 or 3.
>>
I must have dumped a year's worth of hours into City of Heroes. Such a great fucking game.
>>
>>91233156
WHAT
THE
FUCK???

What is this shit? ANSWERS. NOW!!!!!
>>
I am a long time City of Heroes Player, I'm still involved with a community that stayed together after CoH was wrongfully killed off. Yeah, this latest bullshit by NCSoft has not gone unnoticed. It's a slap in the fact, even worst they gave this new version of Stateman lore outside Issue 24 which never got released.
>>
>>91233241
It's just a prank, bro.
>>
>>91233241
it's a Statesman from a parallel world who was actually a villain but came into the NCSoft world (???) and decided to become a hero and take up the Statesman name
>>
>>91233315
I always felt that Statesman's death was really shitty and ignoble (even if the dev himself was an asshole) but this is much worse.
>>
File: coh.jpg (198KB, 1140x1572px) Image search: [Google]
coh.jpg
198KB, 1140x1572px
>>91233156
People didn't get David Nakayama to draw them a picture.
>>
File: 1227424750355.png (360KB, 453x459px) Image search: [Google]
1227424750355.png
360KB, 453x459px
>>91233156
What the fuck even is this

A fucking MOBA with NC Soft characters?

Also is that Crispin Freeman? Good lord man have some dignity
>>
>>91233156
How did they never come up with a pirate server? I think there are still FF XI servers limping along out there.
>>
File: MSHSO_t.jpg (97KB, 348x400px) Image search: [Google]
MSHSO_t.jpg
97KB, 348x400px
>>91233156
Man, I fucking miss this microtransaction ridden kiddy game.
It had a shitload of characters
How Marvel héroes holds up?
>>
File: whoisthis.gif (113KB, 320x218px) Image search: [Google]
whoisthis.gif
113KB, 320x218px
>>
File: ultimate-spider-man-gameplay7.jpg (66KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
ultimate-spider-man-gameplay7.jpg
66KB, 640x480px
>>91233207
2 for broken combos but 3 for a successful progression of the formula.

Also Ultimate Spider-Man for the gamecube was the fucking tits. It's storymode was Bendis firing on all cylinders to craft a fantastic symbiote story arc. Not only does the game have two campaigns running parallel with one another (Spidey and Venom's stories complete with their own gampelay varieties), but it also incorporates villains from Spidey's rogues gallery (you get an electro fight, a beetle fight, a rhino fight, goblin fight, and a carnage fight all in the same game). Although the game was a bit on the short side, it was a finely polished gem of a game that deserves to be replayed.
>Only negative is the web slinging was simplified.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVI15j8qltA
>>
File: Energyx.png (192KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Energyx.png
192KB, 640x480px
>>
>>91234402
>How did they never come up with a pirate server?
Apparently nobody was able to break the game's code in time. I think there's like a social version of it where you can log in and interact with people but you can't do missions and stuff.
>>
>>91234402
There've been rumors for a few years that one exists but nobody's been able to provide evidence of it so either it's one of the best kept secrets on the planet or it's people preying on our hopes and dreams for their giggles.
>>
File: rescue this child.png (62KB, 425x169px) Image search: [Google]
rescue this child.png
62KB, 425x169px
>>
>>91233156
Only MMORPG I could stomach.
>>
>>91233156
>We killed your game for bullshit reasons and refuse to sell the IP out of stubborn pride but hey we put Statesman in a shitty MOBA that'll make you happy right?
Fuck NCSoft
>>
File: Darrin_Wade.jpg (62KB, 300x709px) Image search: [Google]
Darrin_Wade.jpg
62KB, 300x709px
>Good natured old fashioned Superman/Cap expy is given a humiliating and pointless death at the hands of a genuine late 90's early 2000's edgelord villain
>Over a decade later his image is slapped into a soulless cash grab piece of shit video game

Jesus Christ the indignity
>>
File: batman-nes7.gif (20KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
batman-nes7.gif
20KB, 256x224px
>>
>>91236150
>That time the Joker took over Castlevania
>>
File: coh6.jpg (52KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
coh6.jpg
52KB, 620x349px
Cut the crap you guys and tell me about what kind of character you made.

No judgements. We were all young too.
>>
>>91236342
Rob is that you?
>>
>>91236342
Jefferson Davis died in a freak rollercoaster accident and sold his soul to the Devil on the condition he could kill Northerners and increase his KDR to bounds previously unknown
>>
>>91233156
I miss it. Not every day, but every so often. Every time I think about it, it's always just longing.
>>
>>91236342
The first character I made (the game was only released for a few days even) was a complete derivative of The Shadow. I remember being so excited I could finally make him in a game sans the cape. I don't even remember what his build was, I think a scrapper or a blaster. I had a few others but I was most fond of him.
Fuck man this thread is making me too nostalgic, how is it nobody jumped on the premise besides Champions?
>>
>>91236520
Shoulda been a "Blapper"
>>
File: COMIC.jpg (39KB, 212x320px) Image search: [Google]
COMIC.jpg
39KB, 212x320px
The singing slasher. I did so well recreating the costume and the power set that I won a costume contest.
>>
File: 2300281-freedom_force.jpg (135KB, 640x908px) Image search: [Google]
2300281-freedom_force.jpg
135KB, 640x908px
>>91233156

This is the best game ( that admittedly isn't actually playable anymore given shitty steam port) that /co/ never talks about.

For those not in the know it's a superhero themed squad strategy game. very inspired by jack kirby. you could recruit from a bunch of different superheros for your team and fight a bunch of different super villians

the sequel was great too ( freedom force vs the third reich where the team time travels to ww2 team up with golden age super heors and fight nazis)

Also each hero had an origin story here are a few

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6avH3_8FYQ

https://youtu.be/z18wHii_NIc?t=21m38s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxgXBa8fFDk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQI668D55g8
>>
>>91236862
/v/ talks about this all the time but I never tried it. You really can't play it anymore? It's not on GOG or anything?
>>
File: when super just isn't enough.jpg (101KB, 1028x772px) Image search: [Google]
when super just isn't enough.jpg
101KB, 1028x772px
>>91236520
>Champions

Jeeeesus, Champions Online. What the hell happened to that one? It didn't have the same spark as CoH/CoV but I think the character creator had a slight edge over them.
>>
>>91236907
you "can" but.....long story short the version that exists on steam does not work well with modern systems at all, and it needs some significant changes and tweaking or it's unplayable ( characters run off the world unresponsive to commands, broken set-up) I just can't recommend it in good conscience knowing that. even though it's one of my favorite games ever.

Honestly though, i think the series would have been a lot better had it come out after DOTA as the hero controlled from a RTS perspective idea was really perfected by moba style games and it can feel dated as a result.
>>
>>91236961
It had potential, but there was always something that felt very off about the faces, hands, and feet.
>>
>>91233315
I worked at Paragon Studios. The news was weird to us, too. But it's their IP, after all, they can do with it what they want.

What server were you on?
>>
>>91236961
The character creator had a lot of great options that CoX didn't have but there was always something overly cartoonish about it. The faces were pretty terrible- other than monster faces you were basically stuck with one face, and no matter how you messed with the sliders it always looked like the same person, just with a bigger nose/chin/eyes/etc. CoX had jpg texture faces but at least they were distinct from each other.

Also the game itself was kind of terrible. CoX could get repetitive but CO's missions followed were even more formulaic. It also didn't help that the game is trying really hard to have a campy sense of humor but it falls flat because the staff has no idea how to write humor and think references to funny movies count as jokes.
>>
>there are still no open-world superhero games with fun combat and lots of customization that aren't tied down by MMO horseshit
FUCKING WHY?
>>
did somebody else played this game too?
i fucking loved it
>>
>>91237091
>It also didn't help that the game is trying really hard to have a campy sense of humor but it falls flat because the staff has no idea how to write humor and think references to funny movies count as jokes.
The voice acting was the worst part. Apparently they were trying to go for intentionally corny acting without realizing that there's a difference between corny acting and bad acting.
>>
>>91236961
You don't remember? Somebody hit level cap day one and the suits flipped their collective lids. XP was reduced dramatically turning the game into a massive grind since there wasn't enough quest content to cover the difference, essentially killing the game within the first week and prompting a ton of refund demands from lifetime membership players.
>>
>>91236342
The Ameragician: basically Cap meets Dr. Strange

I also made The Mighty Fro-Bot and a shamelessly fetishy buff ninja lizard woman with a bow.
>>
>>91237127
I think about this a lot too.
How hard would it be to make a singleplayer superhero game based on an original IP where you just can customize your character like so many other games let you? Think of something like Infamous only you aren't tied down to being Cole and you have more options. Too much work I bet.
>>
>>91237127

turn to /tg/. play a superhero RPG. customize and build to your hearts content. You're welcome.
>>
https://www.shipofheroes.com/

Pray that it's good, lads.

Get on your knees and pray.
>>
>>91237145
>prompting a ton of refund demands from lifetime membership players.
Ahahahaha I completely forgot they offered lifetime memberships and people bought them
And then like a year and a half later it goes F2P
>>
File: 1485326275742.jpg (86KB, 480x300px) Image search: [Google]
1485326275742.jpg
86KB, 480x300px
>>91237199
>Tabletop

Nnnngh I just can't man
>>
>>91236342
In CoV I played Malicious Code, a tech themed mastermind that was essentially Freakazoid mixed with Angelina Jolie's character from Hackers.

>>91237204
Could have stood a chance at success if they hadn't had that kneejerk reaction, shit was fun in the beta since quick levelling just encourages PvP and alts.
>>
>>91237202
>https://www.shipofheroes.com/
Nothing about the art direction on that website gives me any hope
>>
>>91237202
It takes a lot to get me hopeful about MMOs in general, especially cheap looking ones with weird names.
>>
>>91237202
Looks like they're cramming old and crusty MMO mechanics into Second Life
>>
>>91237202
Seems like it follows the pattern of the other CoX tribute games: nice concept, terrible design, and no sense of direction.
>>
>>91237194
Open-world AAA games without a guaranteed IP are nearly impossible to do, much less do well. No publisher would touch it and a KS would require tens of millions poured into a trusted developer.
>>
File: ron-swanson-08.jpg (16KB, 520x320px) Image search: [Google]
ron-swanson-08.jpg
16KB, 520x320px
>>91237257

>I want a thing
Here is thing
>but that's *hard*
You deserve every bad thing that happens to you in life.
>>
>>91233156
There are a few successor projects in the works, but MMOs take time. Especially from scratch.

My personal choice is City of Titans, but even that is late 2018.
>>
File: dcuo.jpg (445KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
dcuo.jpg
445KB, 1920x1080px
>>91233156
shout out to any DCUO players
>>
>>91237367
He might just have shitty friends or keep weird hours.
>>
>>91237364
City of Titans had a KS with MUCH less and several extra milestones reached. But that is because it's all volunteer.
>>
File: f4.jpg (209KB, 613x947px) Image search: [Google]
f4.jpg
209KB, 613x947px
>>91237404

oh stop taking things so seriously.
>>
>>91236961
That still hasn't died yet?
>>
>>91237288
>Cautiously Optimistic
>>
>>91237389
Do people still play it? Would it be worth redownloading?
>>
>>91237199
Legit always wanted to try a tabletop, but my lack of time and friends more into getting shitfaced than table topping makes it hard to break into.
>>
Champions is tsill there
with lockboxes and over powered "vehicles"(that you CANNOT repaint)
its...odd, theres still players, but i assume those are like hardcore fans or something
>>
File: 1398052821427.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1398052821427.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
What bothers me the most about superhero MMOs (well MMOs in general) is that is that you're always gonna be some literally who doing pathetic grunt work while the 'important' Superman / Batman etc type characters do all the actual significant shit, understandably because that's their role but it leaves you feeling a retard getting a participation medal. And even worse is when the game tries hard to make you feel important but you just know in your gut it's all smoke and mirrors because a million other players are gonna get the same experience and the same thank you from Superman telling you he couldn't do it without you.
>>
>>91237389
I've been meaning to get back into it, but I cannot for the life of me come up with a good idea for a fire tank character.
>>
>>91236342
In CoV I mained the Machine smith, a surgeon and robotisist suffering from muscular dystrophy who was slowly replacing his organic body with !machine parts.
My parents actually played thee game together, as Doc Love and Farrah.
>>
>>91236342

Ice/Ice Blaster
and Robots/Tech Mastermind

I miss them every single fucking day. I pray to every god in existence that Ship of heroes is what brings back the series.

NCSOFT CAN BURN TO THE FUCKING GROUND
>>
>>91237541
I'm sure some of them see it as a sunk cost thing, they paid so much into the game that they feel they need to keep playing it even though it stopped being fun
>>
>>91235240
It's cause Statesman the Dev was a massive asshole. Just in my supergroup alone there were stories of how he'd mock new players or hit on any chick players. Massive douchenozzle. Positron was a lot cooler of a dude and I'm happy he ended up being the lead in the end.

Anyone know of a MMO that's like CoH gameplay wise? I always loved that fucking game top to bottom
>>
>>91236862
It's fun but the game mechanics are a bit... unbalanced. Some heroes are OP while other keep dying like chumps from having incredibly shitty powersets. For someone like me who likes switching teams often and maxing out lots of chars, it was annoying to be stuck with the same characters except for that one mission where you absolutely NEEDED to use the speedster to not be too late to stop robots from destroying the city. Minuteman himself was pretty garbage.
But I guess it's a way to put varying degrees of difficulty in the game without actually putting them there: try to beat the game with a bunch of characters that can't tank, do damage, or support properly, that's your hardcore mode.
>>
>>91236342
First time I played it was Detroy a mutation tanker god I miss those days
>>
>>91236342
Fucking trillions. My main was made when I was like 14 and he was called El Flamingo. I just thought pink was a neat color when I made him. He had that stupid super gun that the gun blasters used. Out of all my tons of character El Flamingo was never given a real backstory, he was just a silly guy.
>>
>>91237549
Such is the great puzzle of MMO design. Themeparks turn into unsatisfying but addictive treadmills and sandboxes into griefing simulators.
>>
File: Sans titre.png (614KB, 474x630px) Image search: [Google]
Sans titre.png
614KB, 474x630px
>>91236961
>play Champions
>have a lot of fun with the extremely detailed character creation
>have a fucking blast using the various travel powers
>the combats are shit
>the UI is shit
>the missions are shit
>the item/market system is shit
>the worl-building is meh
So close yet so far.
>>
>>91237637
>Anyone know of a MMO that's like CoH gameplay wise? I always loved that fucking game top to bottom

There is literally 0 MMOs that are like CoX....

Thats why so many people are still upset at it being shut down and are even angrier at NCsoft for refusing to sell the IP
>>
File: Gadget-Guides-Cover.jpg (3MB, 4805x6359px) Image search: [Google]
Gadget-Guides-Cover.jpg
3MB, 4805x6359px
>>91237529

if you wanna take a gamble try roll20 it's a pretty good program, but you'll just end up with randos. but, yeah it is always better to play with friends. Here's my advice

1. You're gonna have to GM at least at the start.
2. How old are you. If you're in high school and none of your friends are interested, wait until college. they'll be plenty of people ready to get into it.
4. if you're older or out of college, talk about it anyways, iim constantly shocked how many friends i can get into DnD just by being friendly.
3. Have a one off session with something accessible like DnD 5e and pre built characters. it'll be easier to make than a full campaign and people will commit to a one time fun night rather than campaign long commitment.
4. if people have fun it just gets easier from there.
5. from there you can move to suggesting different games
>>
>>91237692
Yeah, it had potential and could've been a great game in the right hands, but it was squandered.

I remember people left CoH to go play it and soon they all came back.
>>
>>91237549
That's why I loved CoH. They made it so you could create your own missions and everything, when that game started coming to a close it had the best tools for RP. I remember the hours I put into massive multi-mission quests full of custom villians and everything.
>>
>>91237720
I played on Virtue and we had people who actually "ended" their characters, either by killing them off or giving them some other excuse to no longer be in Paragon/Rogue Isles, so they could instead go play CO.

Then it turned out that not only was CO not a great game, it wasn't anywhere near as conducive to roleplaying as CoX. So within a year a bunch of them started filtering back and having to say that their character came back from the dead or just retconning their exit altogether.
>>
>>91237768
Sounds like something right out of Big 2 editorial.
>>
>>91237768
Ha. Yea everyone I knew basically scattered to the winds after the game ended. A few actually had a working private server for a year or so. Not very populated but who cares. Sadly it was eventually taken down.
>>
>>91237768

just like real comics!
>>
>>91233234
it was one of the last mmos before they turned into button-mashing console style bullshit "action mmos"
>>
>>91237768
I remember Moone and his gang of pretentious douches did that. He came back still expecting to be treated like the King of Virtue (which he wasn't even close to being in the first place) but he never really regained his clout when he ditched the game for Champions and then came crawling back like nothing had happened.
>>
>>91237865
That name sounds really familiar
>>
>>91237812
>. A few actually had a working private server

Nope.
>>
>>91237617
loved the robots and thugs, really fucking loved the zombie masterminds

remember when they gave the 3 minion pets the same zombie barf the NPC ones had, god damn what a sweet alpha strike that gave you from 3 wimpy minions.
>>
>>91237897
He probably means working in the sense that you could log in or create a character and do the most menial of bullshit.
>>
>>91237924

Mastermind was literally the best pet class in MMO existence...

Scripting emotes onto your pets was amazing.
>>
>>91236342
I was GentlemanRobo which I basically copied daft punk but had white and red as my helmet, gloves and boots colors. Cringey when I think about it now but I had heaps of fun.
>>
>>91237865
I was on Virtue for 4 or 5 years and I've never heard of him.
>>
File: coverarticle.jpg (145KB, 570x320px) Image search: [Google]
coverarticle.jpg
145KB, 570x320px
>>91237708
Will try the program out. Thanks for the advice too. Am 100% sure my crowd would only play it for the "quirky working adult" points and be bored halfway through.

Still like reading guidebooks so all is good. Except when shit kickstarts and then vanishes like pic related.
>>
>>91237953
Now this I can agree with. It's remarkable how apparently impossible it is for most devs to make good pet/dot/drain classes.
>>
>>91237895
He was this guy that considered himself the best roleplayer in Virtue, and played a super-serious character with super-serious storylines (his character literally killed off Lovecraftian elder gods in his backstories, not knockoffs but literally 'I killed Cthulhu, fear me' type shit). His group were all hardened PMC types and most of them were IRL military fetishists. Most of his roleplay involved ridiculously detailed responses as if he was writing a novel.

He felt people who avoided him were too intimidated by his superior roleplaying abilities but it was mostly because he was such a complete tool and few people other than his various sycophants wanted to roleplay with a guy that literally took 15 minutes to response with a bunch of purple prose.
>>
>>91237976
>>91237865
>>91237768

Fellow virtue players?

Cool.
>>
File: unbinder2.png (488KB, 592x491px) Image search: [Google]
unbinder2.png
488KB, 592x491px
>>91237389
My dude was an alien that was obsessed with Barda and Mr. Miracle.
>>
>>91238015
Yes, and just like you we all ERPed with futa catgirls at Pocket D.

It's okay to admit it. We're among friends here... nobody's going to judhe you...
>>
>>91238011
I don't remember that specific person but I remember seeing a lot of people like that on Virtue. Usually a bunch of drama surrounding them.
>>
>>91238042
It's funny, I was pretty young and Pocket D was the first time I hit on a boy. Virtue had a decent gay community and a few of my favorite supergroups introduced me to gay drama way before college. It was fun
>>
>>91238042
Never bothered with roleplay, but Virtue was the most populated behind Freedom where people tended to get a bit stupid so that's why I was there. I do remember walking through some ERP in the D on occasion.
>>
>>91234851
Fucking Freedom Force was amazing.

I really wanted a third one.
>>
>>91235240
How did Statesman die?
>>
>>91238113
The gameplay was pretty good but the Golden Age shit really wore on me after a while
>>
>>91237529
Have you heard of the Freedom City Play-by-Post?

We play a slightly houseruled 2nd edition.

You might want to take a look.
>>
>>91238101
virtue was the unofficial pvp server, and became the most populous off and on, even though a lot came to it for the population size and not because they wanted to hang out in those zones
>>
File: 69788_front.jpg (310KB, 1513x2163px) Image search: [Google]
69788_front.jpg
310KB, 1513x2163px
Recently emulated this because I had fond memories of it. Man does the gameplay feel clunky, I remembered that more from Champions of Norrath than from this.
And then I tried to fix a graphic bug in the emulation and fucked it all up, didn't even get to the fun powers customization part. Which really was the best part of this game, I remember having the 3 GLs (Guy wasn't in the game) specialize in different variants of their powers and it was neat.

Also Batman was OP as fuck if you upped him right, he could basically permastunt people.
>>
>>91237529
If anyone's interested in playing a supers tabletop I got more than enough time to run one
>>
Pocket D was the friggn best
>>
>>91238142
Darrin Wade was absorbing people's power via magic he picked up in old roman times. His plan was to absorb Rularuu after Sister Psyche and States.
>>
>>91236961
The art style is ugly, the setting and/or writing are pretty shit, and at least when I played, the balance was all fucked to hell.

And most importantly, the game's entire gimmick, what the whole thing is built around, is the ability to pick and choose a completely custom power set and have loads and loads of costume parts to make a hero that's completely your own. F2P players are locked out from both, which means that after trying a stripped down, rather substandard MMO, they're not going to want to upgrade as they don't know what the game is supposed to be like. And without people upgrading, the playerbase is dead. They should have left the powers free for all, and only went full nickle and diming on the custom costumes- get people hooked on the gameplay, and THEN squeeze them dry when they want to make a character that's worthwhile to play with the cool powers.
>>
File: anarquiche.jpg (31KB, 398x576px) Image search: [Google]
anarquiche.jpg
31KB, 398x576px
>>91236342
Only the best heroes.
>>
>>91238362
Yeah, I was a F2Player and while you somewhat get the idea that the game would be slightly more fun if you get, as you say, the core cool part of the game, the rest just didn't feel like I wanted to put down 60$ or whatever it was for what was basically a character creator with fun travel powers.
>>
File: IMG_3290.jpg (51KB, 534x486px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3290.jpg
51KB, 534x486px
>>91236342
I'm ADD as fuck and made dozens, few made it past level ten, but I was like, eight or so when I started. I think it was 2004 when I first played it. The last time was...2008? Maybe 2009. I preferred the energy beams and electricity powers generally, but I had to try out everything at least once to satisfy myself. Same with city of villains.
If I played with any of you guys, thanks for the good times.
It's funny, I didn't even know this game lasted into 2012 or so until a year ago.
Good times.
>mfw there are people who complained about difficulty for some enemies/missions/playstyles I was able to deal with as a damn middle schooler
I think it was those warlock guys with green fire magic or something, I don't remember. Also frostfire, but that shit wasn't that hard either, maybe they tried it completely alone. Who knows.
>>
File: mckinley.jpg (50KB, 434x728px) Image search: [Google]
mckinley.jpg
50KB, 434x728px
>>91238015
Virtue was the best server.
>>
File: ouiche you were here.jpg (6KB, 324x155px) Image search: [Google]
ouiche you were here.jpg
6KB, 324x155px
>>91238395
I approve of this character.
>>
>>91238069
>Being gay.
>>
>>91235240
>my vision is augmented
>you Heroes might have powers to assuage your fear, but I've got nerves of steel
>I'm not big into books
>>
>>91238147
What's it like?

Having shitty taste, I mean?
>>
>>91237549
I didn't really play much of City of Heroes, but City of Villains didn't feel too much like this. Often you'd get people pushing you around and making you do their dirty work, but sometimes your contacts would be people you're beating up on for information or something. The overall goal is to serve the head honcho yet in the last missions, you kick his ass because fuck him, nobody tells you what to do. And there was a feature where you could read the newspaper, see shit that's going on, and make plans based on that completely independently, until you go and rob a bank and fuck the heroes shit up on your own initiative.
>>
>>91238449
>I was able to deal with as a damn middle schooler
I don't know about you but if replaying SNES games is any indication, I was better at video games back then than I am now, at least in terms of "skills" if not understanding of mechanics.
>>
>>91238147
Freedom Force was Silver Age dude
Like full blown satire
>>
File: Bloodpouch.jpg (81KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
Bloodpouch.jpg
81KB, 300x400px
I was digging through my old Champions characters to see if I still had any decent ones saved.

I forgot the designs are saved like this. That's actually kinda cute.

...anyway, here's Bloodpouch.
>>
>>91238437
Money is an issue for a high school student or college student whose money is tight, but a person with a job, support your game and subscribe.

it's people raging around about "having to pay", who have a perfectly fine job that I don't get. where the hell do they think the money to run the servers a year down the road will come from?
>>
File: flamingo.jpg (40KB, 416x680px) Image search: [Google]
flamingo.jpg
40KB, 416x680px
>>91238471
Thanks. I always had trouble deciding if I wanted to make a "serious" comic book hero/villain or a goofy one.
>>
File: deuceospades.jpg (39KB, 403x696px) Image search: [Google]
deuceospades.jpg
39KB, 403x696px
>>91238560
The teeny feet are a nice, nice touch. Pirate peg legs?
>>
>>91238582
Basically, but if you had rocket boot flight, they were rocket exhausts too!
>>
>>91238563
Oh, my God.

IT WORKS ON SO MANY LEVELS!

I mean, at least TWO.
>>
>>91238531

probably referring to Freedom force vs third reich. that mas mostly golden age. the lack of variety when compared to the previous game felt like a let down to me too.
>>
>>91238523
I'm a hell of a lot better at xbox-huge games now than I was then, that's for sure. My problem was not focusing on actually doing things but on fucking around, not shocking I guess. Maybe I'm better now or maybe I was better then, who knows.
>>
>>91233156
Teleport in CO was excellent, much much better then CoX. Granted it wasn't a real "teleport" so much as a "phaseshift and fly" but still, popping in for a second, disappearing and flying away, popping in a distance further for a second, disappearing and flying away, and popping in again was a hell of a lot more fun then 'hit your travel key, click, hit your travel key, click, hit your travel key, click'.

Unfortunately that's the only thing CO did better, everything else was garbage.
>>
>>91238561
I was pretty penniless back then, but my main issue with paying online is I don't have a credit card. Don't want one, was educated to not use them.
Don't have Paypal either because it requires me to physically go to my bank to set it up or something.

I also dislike how many digital products are pricier than physical media for no logical reason, and come with DRM and/or other issues.

At least Steam allows for paysafecard so I pay there.
>>
>>91237649

1. Minute man was great. strong moderately tough. very versatile. so you're wrong there but thats the only point on which i really disagree
2. Yeah balance isn't great with a lot of characters. i guess thats where the character creator came in but I agree.
3. the idea of having characters who were better 1 one scenario over another made sense, but thats not really what happend and I agree there. some characters were just not suited for any enemy or mission

But it's still a great and unique game. despite it's flaws
>>
>>91238648
I loved that in DCUO, you could fight while running as a speedster, so two speedsters could literally do that "fight on the side of a building" thing.

But I couldn't get into either CO or DCUO. I don't like the action MMO genre. Same thing with Wildstar, now that I think of it, though that game gave me a lot of CoX vibes.
>>
>>91237991
give your friends some credit.just let them have fun and don't be a dick about it. Good luck!
>>
File: fleshsack.jpg (59KB, 645x935px) Image search: [Google]
fleshsack.jpg
59KB, 645x935px
>>91236342
>>91237577
>and robotisist suffering from muscular dystrophy who was slowly replacing his organic body with !machine parts.
I did something similar. I wanted to make a superstrength brute that wasn't a big burly dude, so I made a skinny girl who became a quadruple amputee, so she had robot limbs thrown on instead. Also the remaining fleshy bit was a drugged up maniac that could take a beating and heal it back up again immediately because regeneration was the best power set. She's kind of like a crazy resilient punching bag attached to power limbs.
>>
>>91238648
Most of the travel powers in CO were awesome. I remember spending way too much time just fucking around with acrobatics or superspeed because of how good they felt.
>>
>>91238648
This is 180 degrees wrong. CoH teleport was a real teleport -- set target destination and go.

Champions was just some outrageous phase shift crap, never liked that, never liked tunneling that was just a mound of buggs bunny dirt sliding along the surface, none of that.

To teleport in Coh, just bind a key to tp and boop boop boop across the landscape quickly. when it started people couldn't handle it because you'd start falling "too fast". but when you got used to it it was awesome.>>91238648
>>
>>91235240
It's hilarious, really. NCSoft can either take the reaction in one of two ways like the retarded, soulless Asian suits they are.
>Oh, they hate Statesman in our MOBA, so they must hate COH! Better not use this IP anymore!

>Oh, I guess we should just cheap out and use the IP in shitty, dime-a-dozen genre games that we can crank out for pennies.
>>
File: doctorsawbones.jpg (38KB, 395x546px) Image search: [Google]
doctorsawbones.jpg
38KB, 395x546px
>>91238715
I always liked the tech heroes in CoX. All the healbots and taxibots...
>>
>>91238687
I dunno, maybe I played the game wrong but where you saw a Jack of all Trades in minutemen i saw a ... 4 of all trades? Does that work?

I remember struggling with him dying a lot when he was obligatory include, and I didn't really have that problem when I got to pick my team.
>>
>>91233156
>MOBA
D R O P P E D
R
O
P
P
E
D
>>
>>91238514

>That mob war story arc in CoV
>Playing both sides
>They eventually find out
>Doesn't matter you already got what you need and wipe them both out

>Making that ancient demon on the island your bitch
>Etc...

CoV and Coh really made you feel like a villain or hero.

Best villain story arc in the game
>>
>>91238734

Teleport in CoX was great.

popping in and out of places, or watching some random player teleport into the spot next to me was always fun.
>>
File: 1385967599309.jpg (161KB, 600x671px) Image search: [Google]
1385967599309.jpg
161KB, 600x671px
>>91238964
>the entire Westin Phipps arc
>>
>>91238992

I wished it had a different animation, the sparkly stars and weird flex animation never really appealed to me and helped make it feel kind of clunky and slow.
>>
>>91233156
>Own the IP
>Do nothing with it
>Put one of the characters in a shitty dead on arrival moba

When you think the rollercoaster of pain is over...
>>
>>91238992
>Guy at top of skyscraper
>Invites you to group so he can tp you up for a party
>tp's you to the top, over the edge
>fall all the way down
>don't die because you can't die from falling

good times, good times!
>>
>>91239012

>"You kept this class syllabus afterwards. Each blood-stained page of it is filled with the promise of new chances at the future. Promises you made sure will never come true. You took it as a trophy, but every time you look at it, all you can see are Francine Primm's eyes looking into your own as the Arachnos guards took her away. "

THE EDGE WAS REAL AND IT FELT SO GOOD
>>
>>91239039

Speaking of fall damage

>that short time when a legitimate strategy for killing the game's strongest boss was to drop a whole squadron of Blasters from the top of the skybox and have all of them pop their nukes at 0.1% HP for insane Defiance scaling
>>
>>91239012
>>91239091
Wait, what?
>>
>>91239118
Basically he was a guy who posed as Mother Teresa, helping the poor and homeless, while secretly making sure to grind them deeper into the dirt. His missions involved using the poor's chatter about hope and a better life to track down this particular girl who was doing a lot of good, so that he could smack her down and keep the poor and destitute, poor and destitute.
>>
>>91239118
One of the later CoV is Westin Phipps. Most of the CoV stories have you doing shady stuff for power or personal gain, but Phipps missions are basically running errands to actively destroy people's lives and crush their happiness and destroy their hope for flimsy reasons.
>>
>>91239108
The game encouraged some weird strats. I knew a group that would Warwolf farm. They'd go to one of those time-travel missions that had the Fifth Column ruling everything, the ones with the open, outdoor maps. They'd have a speedster zip around the map, gathering up every single Warwolf mob and bring them all back to the start as a giant wolfball.

The one time I did it, I was sidekicked in and knew I wouldn't be of any use. Especially because my shit computer could keep up. What ended up happening is the game chugged, froze, told me it had too many particle effects, then everything caught up and I was standing in a big pile of dead Warwolves and I had gained a level and a half.
>>
>>91239118
That particular plot chain was about a teacher forming a school to help reform villains and set them on a brighter path. You basically break into the school, track down all the former pupils, beat them up, then get the teacher taken away by the Legion of Doom.
>>
Who was your favourite antagonist group and why was it Freakshow?
>>
>>91239185

CoH map farming was some extremely real shit.
>>
>>91239230

They gave great XP and had the best boss designs.
>>
File: Champions-Online-8.jpg (333KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Champions-Online-8.jpg
333KB, 1280x720px
>>91237695
Champions online is very close desu. Not played in years though.
>>
File: 5984789446.jpg (109KB, 900x641px) Image search: [Google]
5984789446.jpg
109KB, 900x641px
>>91239230

>Favorite
Circle of Thorns

>Most feared
Pre-nerf Longbow agents
>>
File: cityNemesis.jpg (279KB, 1600x1210px) Image search: [Google]
cityNemesis.jpg
279KB, 1600x1210px
>>91239230
I had a lot of love for the Skullz and the Hellions. Nothin' like black magic street gangs.

But no one had the style that Nemesis troops did.
>>
>>91239185
If the game had a flaw it was being able to have a tank pull an entire large map like that and stand there slowly beating them down while hiding in a corner to limit the number who could hit him at once.

Slow and boring but much faster than "playing".

Then came Architect Entertainment where people would build level 50 missions with fire monsters because fire resist was the most common people did, and then people farm those to give XP.

I can't say I didn't farm some myself with my own masterminds (hated tanks) but that should not be possible.

Remember people farming the mitochondria in AE because you could pick those as a foe yet they didn't do anything. Run around and kill these mini-avs for a buttload of xp
>>
>>91239230
Those lucky bastards who could play the big swiper tanker because they got the bonus code from a CoH convention.
>>
File: 1489982005469.png (200KB, 547x402px) Image search: [Google]
1489982005469.png
200KB, 547x402px
Best class was the Spider Soldier on villain side. No other game came close to making you feel like an actual MGS boss in terms of abilities and how powerful those classes could be with the right gear.

>tfw your aoe dps does more on single targets than most people's actual single target dps
>tfw nigh unkillable with a massive self heal and hp buff
>tfw 7 permanent pets
>>
>>91236862
Fucking hell this game had good characters. Tombstone, Microwave and Ant were my niggas.
>>
>>91239302
>most feared
of sub-AVs, the pre-nerf original Paragon Protectors, the claws boss who would shred you then go into indestructible mode from /invuln

Always wished they (and the original fire npcs with fire monkeys from steel canyon) were available for a terrorizing AE map. How about a map of those two and sappers, holy fuck.
>>
File: 998416877546.jpg (184KB, 1024x910px) Image search: [Google]
998416877546.jpg
184KB, 1024x910px
>You will never get a new issue of the City of Heroes comic in the mail again

It was generic but I loved every issue...
>>
>>91236961
I subbed to that for a few months up til the launch of vibora bay
Stopped after clearing all the content and came back after it was announced f2p
I dropped it again when I tried to use my old characters and was told literally every single one of them was using costume parts that were now premium and I would to change their looks
>>
>>91239376
Hahaha I remember reading the very first issue and even as a pretty young kid could tell it felt like those cheapo comics you'd get with toys or in a cereal. When I flipped through the issue and saw some girl meditating floating in the year in this really fucking cheesy pose I just knew it was gonna be one of THOSE. How long did it last anyway? Did it go through to the end?
>>
>>91239447
Shame because f2p was mostly positive for the game. Lots of new content, powersets, etc. Brought in a lot of new players.
>>
>>91239447
>I dropped it again when I tried to use my old characters and was told literally every single one of them was using costume parts that were now premium and I would to change their looks
They really, really stripped that shit down to the bare minimum. You can make a plain colored spandex suit with no problem, but if you want more you maybe have, like, 1 or 2 other options out of any given menu of dozens of choices, all others of which are locked behind the paywall.
>>
>>91239551
>>91239529
For me the big draw was customizing your look so locking all that away and telling me even if I resubscribed I would still need to buy costume packs to get my old looks back was insulting as hell
>>
>>91239599
I never played on the free side and always kept my sub so I think I got to carry on using my things

>tfw bio armor and shapeshifting melee were never finished
>>
File: Rizo-el-erizo.jpg (28KB, 344x500px) Image search: [Google]
Rizo-el-erizo.jpg
28KB, 344x500px
>>91236342
tfw some people saved the character creator
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l75R5PHjIAY

fuck yeah man
>>
>>91236342
>>91236386
I wouldn't be surprised if Rob does make custom heroes in game like this.
>>
>>91236342
A shitload, I loved making the backstories and customizing the fuck out of them.

Blaxpoitation type of guy who was used as a test subject by a mad scientist and the experiment worked too well so he took out the scientist and became a merc. Electric Eli

A actor who only got 'redshirt' roles who wound up accidently getting a big cardboard box full of gadgets. I forget the name of this one Ensign something or other

A furry who was designed by some mad scientist to be his sex toy but she was all 'nuts to that' and walked around shooting pricks with a big gun. Twisted Pleasure

A guy possessed by the Wendigo and took over some gang to make it easier to get his meals. Nameless Being

A demoness who got a raw deal when they made hell so she decided to piss off and try being a good guy again. Twice Damned

Former hero turned villain turned hero again, had Darkman's face due to accident of some kind. Running Riot

Conspiracy theorist who wound up finding out too much and is on the run from the government. Government Patsy

Furry chick who as an expy for someone whose character I erped with a lot some time before...yea. I forgot the exact name for this one too. I think it started with a T

Bug who served as a scout to a species of insectoid aliens who were planning to invade Earth. Deadly Swarm

There was more but I don't recall them at the moment.
>>
Does Freedom Force count?
>>
>>91233156

Comix Zone, nuff said /co/mrades
>>
>>91233156
>Putting Statesman in a MOBA
Are they fucking serious? They really don't understand how bad they fucked up with CoH, do they? How do they think this is going to go?
>>
>>91236342
I made a fire-wielding speedster dressed like a speed skater. My original plan was to name him "Flashpoint," but that name was taken a dozen times over, so I just said fuck it and called him "Awesome Flashpoint" instead.

I also made an edgy guy with the claws power who looked like Candlejack. I called him Thresher.
>>
File: rip and tear until it is done.jpg (156KB, 1002x599px) Image search: [Google]
rip and tear until it is done.jpg
156KB, 1002x599px
>>91239230
My favorite is somewhere between 5th Column, Malta, and Crey.

Malta was fucking serious business

Also, just gonna say, the best part will always be the costume component of CoH.
No game better divorced stats from appearance.

If you were crafty, you could integrate both powers and appearance yourself and tell the narrative of how your powers worked through your costume.
>>
File: the eternal plague.jpg (21KB, 306x174px) Image search: [Google]
the eternal plague.jpg
21KB, 306x174px
>>
>>91236342
Ambiguously gay Fifth Columnist Mind controller/psychic assault dominator who had a strange tendency to kidnap men and only men. He also may or may not have kept multiple pin-up style drawings of Reichsman hidden under his pillow.

He totally did.
>>
File: Pocket D.jpg (91KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
Pocket D.jpg
91KB, 750x600px
Virtue 4 Life!
>>
File: screenshot_0057.jpg (502KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot_0057.jpg
502KB, 1024x768px
>>
File: screenshot_0021.jpg (40KB, 1024x721px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot_0021.jpg
40KB, 1024x721px
My city to protect, by posing heroically.
No capes!
>>
>>91237389
I want to get into the game but I keep falling out of it
>>
>>91237541
I was that loser who'd play the game to rp. Then I realized most of them are shit
>>
I will never stop missing this game, and at this rate nothing will ever come close to replacing it. Dammit.
Fuck you, NCSoft!
>>
>>91240167
Drugs are the only way to explain how someone thought this was a good idea.
In other news, I played my catgirl scrapper religiously on Caturdays for the looooongest time.
>>
>>91240319
fuck Malta sappers, those things were a threat to even decked out characters unless they had electric powers for the endurance drain powers
>>
>>91240626
>tfw you will never troll RPers in Pocket D again with your ice defender
>>
File: DuratokUpdate.jpg (3MB, 2480x3508px) Image search: [Google]
DuratokUpdate.jpg
3MB, 2480x3508px
I used to play a ton of Champions Online. I think it was the first MMO that I ever RPed in. His name was Duratok Gorehowl (I know, cringe). He was basically a pissed off alien gladiator that was always looking for his next great victory. I read 'Invincible' a few years later, he's more or less Battle Beast.

Anywho, I actually won a contest with the character design and he was put into the game! I actually went to the studio, wrote and recorded the lines myself, and got to play some content that was still in beta.

At first he was just a summonable character to help you fight, but now he's a full-on boss battle in the Forum Malvanum (alien arena on the moon). I hear he got an in-game action figure, too?

Anyways yeah! I was living the dream for a bit. I became an Ascended Fanboy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYPD_EzZshs
>>
>>91240912
The trolling meta was in the forcefields. That big ol bubble had a short cool down and covered the entire area of the bar areas people hung out in, not to mention the ability to place individual bubbles on people that lasted entirely too long.
>>
>>91240919

That's some crazy shit, man. Too bad the game is hot garbage.
>>
>>91241008
It honestly is. I mostly played it because I loved the character creator. I really enjoyed the RP at first because it was a new experience for me, and I made some really cool friends that I RP with in other MMOs. However after a while became more critical of the game. I realized that most of the RP community was furries, succubi, ninja-demon-cyborg-alien-angel-werewolf-vampires, or giantess fetish folk. It lost its appeal.
>>
>>91241036

I bought a lifetime account at release and I still boot it up every 6 months just to fuck around with costumes and look at all the cash shop points I've accrued and will never spend
>>
>>91241100
Oh shit, me too! Too bad all the interesting stuff is in that lock box shit, eh?
>>
>>91241106

I realized recently that most of the new Ultimate powers they've added are only obtainable in those stupid gacha boxes. It never stops amazing me how bad this shit got.

Champions has the most ridiculously overpriced cash shop of any game I've ever seen. A permanent freeform character slot is 50 FUCKING DOLLARS. A one-time-use upgrade token to upgrade a piece of gear from rank 8 to 9 is 30 dollars.

Even with like 7 years of cash shop points saved up I don't think I'd be able to buy the cash shop tokens to upgrade a single piece of gear from 1 to 9. The whales of this game must be fucking insane and absurdly wealthy.
>>
>>91237389
O shit it's Starro!

Fun game, but I hated how they "reworked" the early classes into more homogeneous and bland versions. My original build was all about huge Neural Neutralizer boosts, but they nerfed it again and again until it was just a generic AoE.
>>
>>
File: coh leetah.jpg (414KB, 668x886px) Image search: [Google]
coh leetah.jpg
414KB, 668x886px
>>
>>91233315
Wait, what happened?
>>
>>91237194
>>91237127

Literally my dream game. FUCK. It would do so goddamn well if done right.
>>
>>91233156
No I won't. It still hurts.
>>
File: COH PocketD pack.jpg (602KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
COH PocketD pack.jpg
602KB, 1680x1050px
>>
>>91238113
>>91234851
Freedom Force and City of Heroes are the most charming games of all time. Being able to perfectly capture Silver Age goofiness is my fetish
>>
>>91233315
The plot of Tyrant becoming the main universe Statesman comes from a "Loregasm" Q/A with Mark "Positron" Miller. That, in and of itself, isn't terrible.
>>
Anyone read the Blue King comic run for City of Heroes? I remember really enjoying it, it was based around OCs rather than the "main" heroes of the Top Cow run
>>
>>91236862
Kind of want to ask if the game ever explains what that strange energy in all those videos are but at the same time I want to play the game myself and find out without any spoilers.
>>
>>91242208
You find out in the opening where the energy comes from.
>>
>>91237708
>Would like to try table top
>Have friends that would like to try table top as well
>But they all would want to bring their girlfriends into it to try it out together, bond, all that shit
>In anything we do together where they bring their girlfriends all of them throw a bitch fit whenever something "bad" happens to their girlfriends
>Girlfriend just got KOed in Smash? Bitch fit at whoever did it. Girlfriend gets killed in CS or any other FPS game? Bitch fit at whoever did it. Girlfriend gets a bad roll in Mario Party? Bitch fit at the game itself
>Even the girlfriends are sick of it and tell them to fucking stop and let them just play the game normally but that doesn't do anything
>Considered just playing table top with just the girlfriends since they seem cool with it all, actually they were the first ones to bring up table top in our little circle of friends, and leave the other guys out of it but I feel like that'd send up a ton of red flags and shit
>>
>>91236342
>Hulkerine, cigar and all
Before they started pruning Marvel/DC heroes into generics. Won a bunch of costume contests with this alt.
>>
>>91242393
Days like this makes me happy I just started acting gay rather than bi. Boys don't call after one night stands and all the geeky girlfriends are able to hang with me without judgement. God I hate nerd boys, they always are so full of themselves.
>>
>>91239989
>A actor who only got 'redshirt' roles who wound up accidently getting a big cardboard box full of gadgets. I forget the name of this one Ensign something or other

I would read this every Wednesday.
>>
>>91236342

The Americaninja (Cap+Iron Fist)
Wolfspider (Sabretooth+Spidey)
>>
File: 1468115577148.jpg (988KB, 1000x1417px) Image search: [Google]
1468115577148.jpg
988KB, 1000x1417px
many co posts. understandable. no xmen legends 1&2 and marvel ultimate alliance. come on now.
>>
>>91236342

A purple tech gravity manipulator called Inverse
>>
>>91234826
for a sandbox spidey game webslinging isn't the end all be all since NYCs layout is relatively the same in every game
>>
i remember trying out CoV on a trial once and made 2 villains.

-one was a yakuza styled swordsman that looked like a cross between samurai jack from the mafia episode & shiro tagachi from guild wars

-the other was a prison bitch mastermind named "soap droppa"

i had fun with both but i don't really find the game that interesting in the end.
>>
>>91239230
It's been so long that I don't remember a lot of the villain groups. I liked that one circus-themed one that was often in Talos Island I believe?
>>
>>91243117
CoX was a pretty bog standard 'click an enemy and hit your number keys in a cycle' MMO, to be honest. Nobody's praising it for its deep gameplay mechanics or anything like that, the appeal is 100% in the fact that there was a wide range of shallow mechanics you could pick from to give you whatever power set you wanted, and a wide range of costume options that allowed you to make any hero you wanted, all set in a world that felt deeply comicbook-y (as opposed to something like CO where they tried way too hard to hit golden/silver age goofiness and instead hit full retard mode). CoX was unparalleled in making you feel like an actual superhero. Given that you made a weeb sword fucker and then a joke character instead of an actual superhero, I'm guessing you didn't really see the appealing part of the game to begin with.
>>
File: slycarmjump.jpg (170KB, 1000x980px) Image search: [Google]
slycarmjump.jpg
170KB, 1000x980px
>three great games where levels were pretending to be episodes of a cartoon.

that was so fun.
>>
>>91236907
Both and sequel are back on gog.com
>>
>>91235240
Is that Postal Dude?
>>
>>91241908
i've grown to love mmo world design like the whole 'pocket-d' thing, where places don't necessarily need any more justification to exist than "hey, here's a cool place you can hang out"

it's not like mmos are going to have a 'good story' anyway, fuck immersion, just go hog wild and have fun
>>
>>91244786
>I'm guessing you didn't really see the appealing part of the game to begin with.

i saw the appeal but i didn't really get interested in wanting to give it another shot until the update where you can make your own stories for your character but then i realized that it would've been like my time with champions where i had more fun with the character creator than the actual game + i didn't think the subscription fee was worth it
>>
File: noise.jpg (72KB, 513x797px) Image search: [Google]
noise.jpg
72KB, 513x797px
>>91236342
>>91238780
Robot heroes were definitely the best heroes.
>>
ARCHTYPE TIER LIST

>TOP TIER
BRUTE
DEFENDER
ARACHNOS SOLDIER
DOMINATOR

>HIGH TIER
ARACHNOS WIDOW
SCRAPPER
TANKER
CONTROLLER
WARSHADE
STALKER POST BUFF

>MID TIER
BLASTER
CORRUPTOR
MASTERMIND
STALKER PRE BUFF

>OH SHIT NIGGA WHAT ARE YOU DOING
PEACEBRINGER

>UNRELEASED TIER
PRIMALIST
>>
>>91246453
>>MID TIER
>>MASTERMIND

Granted I never played them myself, but there were some serious fucking beastly masterminds. Super strength/invincibility brutes just couldn't be beat at anything, though.
>>
>>91246321
Yeah I always felt like the robot options were always the coolest looking compared to the others
The shittiest outfits were regular clothes like cargo pants and hoodies
>>
File: 1489274199764.gif (74KB, 710x569px) Image search: [Google]
1489274199764.gif
74KB, 710x569px
>>91240714
Oof, that game did not age well.

But the wound still hurts...
Shoutout to all of my Justice and Guardian server fools.
>>
>>91247061
>Be Thug Mastermind
>Leadership stack with Enforcers
>Gang War
>Dark Servant
>Collect any temp powers that give Summons
>Shivan Shard, Vanguard Power Core, Snowman, Loa Bone
>Supergroup having trouble with mission
>Activate the steam roll

Good times...

Arachnos soldier was super tight too. I loved the "Walking Buff" builds and getting multiple widows and soldiers on one team was fucking fire.
>>
>>91233755
>>91237637
so did the devs actually play the game as their DMPCs?
>>
>>91247061
I think the meta was switching more towards /electric brutes since the endgame was so chock full of energy damage. Titan weapons was interesting if you ever played it because if you had enough cash to drop on it, it actually outperformed super strength. So did arachnos soldiers did, actually. Though they weren't as good at tanking as brutes. Shitloads of buffs and debuffs to help a party though, fucking incredible.
>>
File: CoHCatgirl1.jpg (100KB, 388x416px) Image search: [Google]
CoHCatgirl1.jpg
100KB, 388x416px
>>91236342
As long as there's no judgements...

Sable Mouser - Virtue server. I got in 6 weeks into Beta, and then from Release on out. I went for a Dark Melee / Regen scrapper out of the gate because claws / regen (obvious nerd choice) had attack delay issues I couldn't stand. Dark melee was fluid.

I always kept coming back to this character because it was so relaxing to just smash the hell out of stuff for 60-90 minutes here and there.
>>
>>91241684

Oh, I was actually a member of the Wraith Spiders with Arbiter Fabulous. Got to know him a little personally too. Cool guy, had a touch of the tism though.
>>
File: MY_EYES.jpg (143KB, 566x981px) Image search: [Google]
MY_EYES.jpg
143KB, 566x981px
Really wish I could have gotten a better picture of Podge Hodge before the game ended. Didn't even get a shot of his puke inducing, awfully colored butterfly wings.
>>
>>91250368
You could always recreate him in icon or paragon chat.
>>
>>91237549
>What bothers me the most about superhero MMOs (well MMOs in general) is that is that you're always gonna be some literally who doing pathetic grunt work while the 'important' Superman / Batman etc type characters do all the actual significant shit

i think the guild wars series is probably one of the few that sorta does an inversion of this (especially in GW2's 3rd season where they practically either killed or shelved half of them) in that the GMPCs are essentially your lackeys that are doing the side stuff while you do the significant shit.

Although to be fair guild wars was never really a MMO to begin with.
>>
>>91236342

The very first character I made was a brawler type with a red vest and a hook named Captain Hook or something. It was when I'd started the free trial for City of Villains.

When I later purchased CoH, the character I hit 50 with was Sheriff Ronin, who was a tall skinny black dude dressed as a wild west cowboy walking around with the dual-sword powerset and katanas while smoking a fat cigar.

I was an odd child.
>>
>>91250759
do need a copy of the game & an account?
>>
>>91251840
>do need a copy of the game
Yes, but the game was free to download so there's a download link right on the paragon chat/icon installation pages.
>& an account?
Yes for Paragon chat, but it's free. Icon doesn't require anything.

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Paragon_Chat
https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Titan_Icon
>>
>>91251889
cool thanks bro.
>>
>>91233156
>You wanting city of hero back? Too bad here MOBA, fuck you.
>>
>>91252375
I wouldn't even mind a good superhero moba, but none exist
>>
>>91251889
Paragon Chat is almost a curse in disguise. It's great to be able to build costumes again and chat with other people and look at their costumes and zoom around the place, but it's also a shell of the real game and it just makes you yearn for having enemies to fight and powers to use and everything else, and it makes the pain hurt even worse for coming so close without crossing the distance.
>>
>>91252901
If they added in a dice roller or something, it'd be a nice vehicle for rp. But yeah, you're right. It's doesn't slake the thirst for the real thing.
>>
>>91253020
They did add a dice roller actually. There are also a handful of features, like they added time trials to the ski slopes in pocket D and exploration badges, so they organize races based on those sometimes.
>>
>>91253311
Well shit, I may have to check it out again.
>>
File: hami luv blimp.jpg (398KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
hami luv blimp.jpg
398KB, 1920x1200px
>>
File: pocket d omg.jpg (449KB, 1570x1001px) Image search: [Google]
pocket d omg.jpg
449KB, 1570x1001px
>>
>>
File: naomi donuts.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
naomi donuts.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
Heroes love donuts too.
Especially suicidal blaster aggro-monkeys.
Dammit, Fusionette!
>>
>>91250368
Oh shit, I remember you! I don't recall like every interaction but I do remember the one time you made me laugh, I was just minding my own business at the bar and you just kinda scooted past my camera slowly, striking this ninja pose. Good times... Fuck it hurts seeing familiar faces.
>>
File: Branded.jpg (116KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Branded.jpg
116KB, 1280x1024px
The gang. Ah, it was good to be bad. And insane.
>>
File: 1383868934455.jpg (357KB, 1214x1239px) Image search: [Google]
1383868934455.jpg
357KB, 1214x1239px
>>91242393
>>91242482

I know this is some shitty neckbeard freaking out about women shit but almost every group i've played in has had either girlfriends or unattached women in it and they've been fine. besides RPGS are cooperative and these complaints wouldn't be an issue anyway

So either 1.) you're a retarded neckbeard who doesn't want to play with girls because you have deep seeded issues about it
or
2.) if this is the real reaction of their girlfriends your friends are probably shitty people which is why they attracted shitty women. Alos you're probably shitty as well given that you're their friend.

> Show me your friends and I’ll tell you who you are
>>
>>91252901
It's basically purgatory- not as bad as not having the game at all but it leaves you yearning for the real deal.
>>
>>91236439
Are you by any chance from /pol/? Either way, I absolutely love that concept.
>>
>>91257083
Girlfriends seem cool to me. Main issue is that for all of them it's the first time they've ever been in a relationship so none of them have any idea what to do or what's acceptable. So they do shit you'd expect out of a middle schooler instead of college students.

If they would just not throw a fit everything something bad happened to whatever character their girlfriends are playing as everything would be fine. Like I said before even the girlfriends have told them to stop doing that shit but they still do.
>>
>>91233755
Statesman's death marked a much darker turn in the story, too, where it was harder and harder to play "full blue" because every npc was going all 90s Image on us.
>>
>>91236342
Captain Ghoul: Dark/Regen Scrapper. Created as the test subject for a skulls empowering ritual, Cap is trapped between life and death and deals with his unholy hunger by acting as cheerful, friendly, and supportive as possible. Don't mind the occasional bites he takes out of villains, they'll walk it off.

King Gravity: A jock science major who lost his arm and scholarship in an illegal after hours experiment, the MASTER OF ALL GRAVITY schemes to gain power in the Rogue Isles and use it to force Paragon U to let him finish his dissertation. And then crush them all. Possibly not in that order.
>>
>>91242393
>>91237199
I love mutants and masterminds. You can literally have any powers you want in it. I am a Gm if anyone wanna play. I use roll20 as well.
>>
>>91242556
Thanks, I remember playing him as a defender and I played him up as this guy who was scared shitless but still threw himself into the fray. That and he always got phone calls from his mom during missions asking if he wanted to visit for supper. Memory is coming back slowly but I think he got the box of gadgets because he was going to an audition for a cop drama. So he rented a cop uniform from the costume shop. Well on the way there he passed by some 'hidden' lab that got discovered and raided by the police. During the cleanup there was some amount of confusion and one of the guys hauling stuff out handed him the box assuming he was just another guy on the job and wanted him to take it back to HQ for evidence.

>>91239989
That reminds me, I also played as the only zombie on Paragon City's police force. That one was a beat cop who was abducted by the Circle of Thorns and was to be used in a human sacrifice to summon a demon. The ritual was stopped but midway through the sacrifice where he was killed and a demonic soul was to enter his reanimated body and consume his soul to be able to enter the world. Since the demonic entity was not summoned he was basically a zombie with a sense of self, I would like to say like Bup but I didn't watch Dawn of The Dead at that point. Sgt Murphy was his name
>>
Will City of Titans be any good guys?

https://cityoftitans.com/

The development is so slow, I have a feeling it will just never be finished
>>
>>91236342
I had a naiad-ish Storm/Ice Controller, a pretty edgy black and white Spines/Ninjitsu Stalker with as many skull decorations as I could slap on her, and a gigantic, color-clashed piece of shit whose job was to sit in Pocket D and dance all day. Shit, that game was good.
>>
>>91261789
I doubt it. It's the best of the various CoX tribute projects but that isn't saying much.
>>
>>91261789
MMOs are difficult to make. Really, really difficult. They're probably the single most difficult kind of game to make in general, and games in general are difficult to make, even those shitty 2D retro flash games. MMOs are hundreds of times more difficult then those, and indie teams struggle enough with just those alone. Indie teams have made MMOs in the past but they've never made one of any note, they've always been shit that slides into obscurity quickly and they've usually been based around PvP because it's much harder to do PvE, which is what any CoX knockoff would be based mainly around.

I mean there's a first time for everything and I'd love to see it succeed but the chances of that happening are somewhere right between zero and none. People who backed them on kickstarter and the people who set it up on kickstarter vastly underestimated how much work goes into one of these things I think, as evidenced by the fact that they've been working on it for years and they're barely in a pre-pre-alpha stage with a quarter functional character editor and some janky unsellable animations and maps.
>>
File: freedomforce_Minuteman.jpg (78KB, 750x1050px) Image search: [Google]
freedomforce_Minuteman.jpg
78KB, 750x1050px
>>91238797
He had like 3 full-heals and could kill tons of dudes in like 1 hit. He could also reflect bullets so he could get up real close and hit ya real good.

Minute Man is amazing.
>>
>>91239230
I remember the first time I got surprised by a buncha freak mobs getting back up again. I was halfway through another mob when a boss and two lts came charging in to run a fucking train on me.

Legitimately jumped and never made the mistake of assuming the fuckers were down again.
>>
>>91239230
They were a good time until they added in the Super Stunners. They upped the difficulty of fighting Freaks a good bit, but made them a lot less fun with their freaking end drain.
>>
File: 1481071315811.jpg (66KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
1481071315811.jpg
66KB, 450x600px
>>91239313
I disagree, I think if that's how people have fun, let 'em.

I personally liked doing missions that had shit XP because I liked the story lines and comicy dialgoue even though playing them was more trouble than they were worth XP wise.

I had more fun RPing with friends, but if someone wants to grind to 50 real quick so that they can do the level 50 stuff, power to 'em.

>mfw I had a standard costume/battle damaged costume for when I died in a mission but got rezzed/civillain costume/bathing suit for the superhero parties/and one for whatever else I needed.
>>
>>91236342
Mine was the Paragon Paragon. Former junkie, was getting money by testing drugs, got hit by an alien gun which reacted to the drugs in his system and gave him powers.

I had an extra five characters in the name to work with so I made his evil counterpart Evil Paragon Paragon, and many others. Kid Paragon Paragon, Paragon Paragon Girl, etc.
>>
>>91258566
I wanted a Fire blaster
I wanted Devices so I could trip mine a lot
And I had been recently studying the Civil War in junior year or so

A decade ago... oh shit
>>
>>91262688
And here was Evil Paragon Paragon.
>>
>>91262688
>>91262738
But yea, this game was the shit. I just don't get with how popular superheroes are now how we don't have a big budget mmo right now. I'm really tired of the fantasy genre.
>>
>>91237503
Isn't it like the top grossing free to play game on PS3/4?
>>
>>91262803
I wonder if this game could even succeed in the post-MCU world where EVERYONE wants to be in the Marvel universe, there's no room for an original superhero IP.
>>
>no mention of Triumph

fug
We were a lean fuckin server
We'll take down Hamidon any day any hour with our collective 17 players
>>
>>91261789
>>91262151

I honestly think Ship of heroes is better off than CoT.

CoT has had years now to showcase something and the most they have shown off is like 1 building and a character with 0 textures running around.

Ship of heroes has at least set visible goals and exceeded them.

I just hope the art style they have shown in Ship of Heroes isnt final... The characters look a little too second life-ish for me.

Anyways I hope their kickstarter launching tmrw generates some hype.
>>
>>91262151
>the various CoX tribute projects
You know you're in troubled waters when the valiance team decided to release their pre-production super early prototype thing. There's a reason developers don't do this kind of thing, so the fact that they did makes them look like absolute amateurs with no clue of what they're doing. Also making them look that way is the pre-production super early prototype thing, which is exactly why real devs don't release that shit.
>>
>>91262869
idk, I've never really seen anyone yearning to be in the MCU, or else that diablo style game they have would be doing better.

I think and original IP would work fine, just look at Infamous
>>
>>91237649
>level where you stop robots from destroying the city

The not-Namor had an electric attack that fucked them up royally,.
>>
>>91238687
>>91262389
>>91238797
What was your go-to team?

Mine was Microwave, El-Diablo, That magic chick that kept saying PEACHES AND CREAM, and Minute-Man. I wanted to use Man-bot more but he was way too slow and Law/Order but I remembered they didn't have a lot of moves.

Second game I tended to use Sky King, Black Jack, Tombstone, and Green Genie.
>>
>>91242752
X-men Legends 2 was the peak. Ultimate Alliance was alright, but the dumbing down they did in the second was ridiculous.
>>
File: TheFuckEverythingButton.png (3KB, 32x32px) Image search: [Google]
TheFuckEverythingButton.png
3KB, 32x32px
>>91233755
Agreed, when I reflect a bit on things, Statesman kind of had a right to be an uptight asshole too.
>Every alternate version of himself he met had turned evil and corrupt
>The worlds that was not the case, he was dead the world fell apart
>At any time and any moment he could basically be possessed by the Well of Furies
>Watched his wife die
>his team barely holds itself together half the time
>Just wanted a break
>Fucking Rikti resurgance
>Reichsman breaks loose
>Praetorian self declares war on Primal Earth
>Best friend is still butthurt because he fucked Stephan's sister.

>>91258826
Now that you mention it, the "everyone going full 90's" might have been on purpose.

>>91261789
they seem to be making good progress.

They've got building/city generation in, costuming, scaling.

Just need to refine those things, plus animation, get mission writing done, and powersets.
>>
File: screenshot_121129-22-22-35.jpg (432KB, 1264x946px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot_121129-22-22-35.jpg
432KB, 1264x946px
>>91236342
Better question is "what character didn't I make?"

My first and main was Akuma Ryu, a time displaced Samu- yes, his backstory was a shoutout to Samurai Jack, subbing Aku with Lord Recluse and a story that Recluse was going into the past and setting up sleeper bases the world over. (had I known then, I would have gone with Fifth Column)
>>
>>91265029
Any of you feel incarnate powers were a mistake? To me, it seemed giving everyone a nuke devalued the role of pretty much everything else: debuffs, controls, tanking.

I often wished that it was a system with smaller effects that you could build up from 1 to 50, like an alternate leveling scheme.
>>
>>91233156
I put so much time into my characters. I still miss them.

Worst. Labor Day. Ever
>>
>>91265029
I thought it was supposed to be a temporary thing at first myself but the interviews with the writers gave me the impression that's just what the wanted, the feel of the praetorian stories all the time. bleh.
>>
>>91265583
>NCSoft wanted to just shut down the servers without warning
>Paragon Studios barely even learned that the game was going to be shut down before it got shut down
>They had to campaign to get the date pushed back so that people could say goodbye

When are we going to glass korea?
>>
>>91235141
This so hard. It's a complete kick in the balls.
>>
>>91233156
>tfw you played vanilla WoW as a young boy
>skipped school to dick around on your level 8 character
>go back every few months to max level a character and then lose interest
>cant quite recapture the magic of that first time you played

Ive played CoH and CoV and it would be the exact same way
;__;7
>>
>>91265127
Yes and no. I mean it certainly trivialized standard level 50 content, but that was the whole point of incarnate, and in incarnate content, it was still easy to end up in over your head and even the best your judgement could do was buy you breathing room.

>>91265645
When best Korea pulls the trigger.

>>91265632
I guess they wanted a sense of progression in the timeline, and I can't blame them. Truthfully, I never disliked statesman because he never felt as overshadowing as, say, lord recluse.

In city of heroes I felt like it was the journey of my heroes and statesman stopped by to say hi.

Villianside, recluse was crammed down my throat and up my ass from the tutorial to beyond endgame.
>>
>>91265645
>When are we going to glass korea?
When they shut down Guild Wars
>>
File: Infinite_Crisis.jpg (12KB, 408x408px) Image search: [Google]
Infinite_Crisis.jpg
12KB, 408x408px
>tfw incompetence killed this game.

>tfw trying my best to design a new MOBA DC game.
>tfw no studio to bring it to furition.
>tfw no money to hire anyone.
>tfw if i approached dc, they'd probably love it.
>tfw if i approached dc, wb would steal the idea and do it themselves, leading to what happened the first time.
>>
>>91240919
holy shit you made duratok? that's funny

i fucking hate that fight btw, pugs never have enough dps to beat the timer
>>
File: urbanyojimbo.jpg (22KB, 369x681px) Image search: [Google]
urbanyojimbo.jpg
22KB, 369x681px
>>91265086
That's a nice lookin' samurai, man. My katana scrapper was Urban Yojimbo, my attempt and throwing a funky Blaxploitation character out there.
>>
File: fletchfalcone.jpg (28KB, 333x654px) Image search: [Google]
fletchfalcone.jpg
28KB, 333x654px
>>91266110
To continue, I actually had this dream of getting a dedicated group together to make super-groups out of various themes and time periods. Like Blaxploitation. Or Pulp/Noir mystery-men, which is why I made pic related.

Actually, scratch that, my dream was to make a super-group out of the Village People, but I could never get it off the ground.
>>
File: mrrumor.jpg (30KB, 443x752px) Image search: [Google]
mrrumor.jpg
30KB, 443x752px
>>91266144
I also liked to make characters that tied in, somehow, with the plot of the game itself, though I never really got to RP all that much. Mr. Rumor was a revenant, brought back to life after being ritualistically murdered by the Skulls, filled with the desire to bring them all to justice.

Only now do I learn that there was apparently some actual in-plot character with a hard-on for killing Skulls.

Oh well.
>>
who lightning melee/shield here teleporting on packs all day
>>
>>91265645
Fuck, I still remember that night.
*get off work, whip my phone out on the way to my car.
"Issue 24 soon, I wonder if they've got any tidbits for us tonight"
"what's this picture of the design team out to lunch?
Wat
WAAAAAAT
>>
I was on Virtue when CoX got shut down. I watched a stream of employees as they said goodbye. It was sad.

CoX had the biggest opportunity for creativity I've seen in any MMO. I wish more games were like it.
>>
>>91237127
I think the closest, and it's not close at all, is Saint's Row.
>>
>>91262512
>I had a standard costume/battle damaged costume for when I died in a mission but got rezzed
Other than my friend and I, I had never seen anyone else do this. That's so awesome to see other people do that. GOD DAMN I miss this game and it's social aspect
>>
>>91262393
AHAHA OH MAN, same. My first time story had a group I was playing with accidently pull a few too many mobs and just as we downed a bunch of em and started resting, they rose back up and scared the shit outta us. 2 died, not aware.
>>
>>91238561
Why would I support a game I don't know if I'd actually like? Why would I support a game with so many other options that cost less?
>>
>>91239838
I watched this. So. Many. Times.
>>
>>91237389
The worst thing about the game is the terrible customization, it is in desperate need of sliders.
>>
>>91266602
>Where were you when you learned of Sunset?

I was at DragonCon and saw there was a CoX panel. I was hyped, because I wanted to meet friendly people, share stories, and pick up some con-exclusive codes. (Can't remember exactly what I got, but it was a Rikti Commander summon or costume)

They walk in, most of us had no idea.
"We have some bad news. This morning, the devs have announced that City of Heroes will officially be shutting down."

The room was so quiet. A few left. They still held the panel, but it turned into how do we stop them, and "I'll never forget the time I..." stories.
>>
I think the Ship of Heroes kickstarter is about to go live, if anyone's interested
>>
>>91267848
There's still a few hours before that.
>>
>>91268103
Huh, countdown is showing as done for me
>>
>>91233156
>City of Diversnigty
>good
The Koreans aren't even paying you any mire, what is this? Nostalgic shilling?
>>
>>91236342
She was a basic average girl, and she was here to see how much the GMs actually cared about blatant plagiarism.
Street Justice was really nice in beta so I made a blatant Kim Possible ripoff as a StJ/SR true blue scrapper, and then I bet myself I'd get to 50+4 without getting genericed. (Kim Possible was unsurprisingly blocked so I went with Kimberly Possible) I actually got to 50 but then I logged into Perrgrine as GenericheroXXXXX in an all white costume.
So I petitioned it explaining the bet and asking what their favorite charity was, since I'd had 50 euros put aside and if they caught me they got to decide where it went. IIRC it was child cancer research... and if it had been up to me it would have been another child cancer research fund so win-win.
Then I renamed her to Basic Average Girl, redesigned her as a dykier college age Kim and went on to make her my first fully IO'd, fully purpled monster. I know scrapper wasn't the strongest but a fullly pimped scrapper was pretty damn good.
>>
/JRanger
>>
>>91237367
You know, not all people enjoy the people you enjoy. I'm a relative tabletop noob, only been playing for just about 30 years, and I never felt the need to shit on other people's hobbies or lack thereof. Maybe it comes with experience.
>>
>>91269163
Maybe it comes with being a pussy.
>>
>>91237768
I stuck with City of Heroes all the way until the end, but I did end up roleplaying out that my character was convinced that reality was collapsing and that he had to 'save' as many people as possible by convincing them to jump-ship to another reality.

Every now and then, I play as the same character on CO, and get a kick out of roleplaying a character who escaped the collapsing reality of CoH only to end up in the shitshow that is CO.
>>
>>91239230
Freakshow was up there but I really liked Malta, they were really short on powers (did the "real" Malta types have any at all?) bug they'd operate you right into the ground anyway. Tactically.
Well, until you figured them out and stomped them.
>>
>>91239345
That solo Riki Ship Raid.
>>
>>91249858
>Always Smells Terrific
That's a pretty sweet power
>>
File: screenshot_121129-22-13-17.jpg (490KB, 1264x946px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot_121129-22-13-17.jpg
490KB, 1264x946px
>>91239230
my favorite was probably the Tsoo or the Circle of Thorns overall. I just loved the sheer diversity of their ranks, but it pissed me off how it was all restricted to narrow level bands before you moved onto the next group.

>>91266110
Thanks, around Christmas time each year, he would change up his costume and become Santakezo, based loosely on Little Tokyo's old seasonal Samurai Santa.
>>
>>91257083
I just thought a bit about women in RPGs and my anecdotal evidence is they're no worse than guys.
OG GM's Girlfriend: GM favoritizes he'd a bit, especially can't bring himself to fuck her character over. She doesn't lord it over anyone plus she's an awesome GM herself. (And she's got no problem running her boyfriend' characters through a wood chipper if the dice say so)
Other GM's Girlfriend: Super annoying habit of popping questions all the time; basically the same OCD that makes her a great world builder. Once they move in together problem disappears because she can do that when they're killing stuff in WoW or whatever.
Girl with History: Pulled some dumb shit years ago, hated by a big part of the local community. Has since unfucked her shit, still gets shit but eh, are you such a fucking saint yourself?
Dyscalculectic girl: Can into everything but numbers. Seriously, awesome role player bug clinically cannot into numbers.
And some others but no one on the level of the amazing panting BO guy with the rape fetish.
>>
Read through the thread and I guess I'm gonna have to install Paragon Chat when I get home, huh? I just want to be able to fly again ;A;
>>
>>91233207
2 was a broken piece of shit
>>
>>91237383
I hope they offer a founders' pack. I never trust kickstarters but I'll be all over a founders' pack.
>>
>>91233156
I read the book that introduced the statesman back in the day. Never played the games but I remember really really liking that book as a kid. Post-WW1 era, prohibition, International hero shit with some greek mythos thrown in.

Probably wouldn't say it's a "great" book but it was definitely fun to read.
>>
>>91265832
DC stole an idea right from me.

No joke.

If you don't have your idea registered, and even still, don't propose it to ANYONE. I wouldn't propose anything at this point unless I was already commissioned to. They don't credit and return for more stories from someone they stole from.
>>
Ship of Heroes kickstarter is open now. They've got over $6000 already thanks to two people donating $1000 each. I kind of feel like throwing some cash in there since it does look interesting but it just seems so easy to get burned
They definitely need to make the characters a little more comic-proportioned rather than the semi-realistic Second Life vibe they've got going just now
>>
>>91270786
>>91237617
>>91262966
>>91267848
My big issue with Ship of Heroes (similar to DCUO) is the singular meta-origin. With DCUO, it's a bit ignorable, but with Ship of Heroes it feels like while they're going to offer much of the same as City, they're going to shoo away any origin that isn't scientifically rooted, possibly limited purely to a technological basis.
>>
>>91271020
Yeah, that does suck. If they're trying to improve on CoH they should just add in more origin selections. Champions Online just didn't give any origin entirely, right?
>>
File: archimandrite2.jpg (41KB, 480x762px) Image search: [Google]
archimandrite2.jpg
41KB, 480x762px
Man do I miss City of Heroes, that game was silly-fun.

The early costume pieces were a little bland but they kept upping the quality over time, by the end you could make some really sweet looking stuff.

And the Beam Rifle powerset... oh so fun!
>>
File: WEITAITANorange.jpg (94KB, 694x679px) Image search: [Google]
WEITAITANorange.jpg
94KB, 694x679px
Think I'll dump some CoH costumes I found in-game and on the official forums that caught my fancy.
>>
>>91269256
>Every now and then, I play as the same character on CO, and get a kick out of roleplaying a character who escaped the collapsing reality of CoH only to end up in the shitshow that is CO.

In CoH, on the...Freedom server, I think, I briefly screwed around by making a lizardman with a big broadsword and RP'd like I'd tried to log into a fantasy MMO and ended up there.
>>
File: screenshot_2009-09-27-14-37-45.jpg (407KB, 955x1196px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot_2009-09-27-14-37-45.jpg
407KB, 955x1196px
>>91271494
>>
File: GodbreakerNew.jpg (185KB, 1478x709px) Image search: [Google]
GodbreakerNew.jpg
185KB, 1478x709px
>>91271529
>>
File: fromthedepths.jpg (340KB, 1974x1248px) Image search: [Google]
fromthedepths.jpg
340KB, 1974x1248px
>>91271597
>>
File: zombiemaid1.jpg (180KB, 468x633px) Image search: [Google]
zombiemaid1.jpg
180KB, 468x633px
>>91271624
>>
>>91269256
> RPing your mains in a RPG/MMO as the same character just traveling through different lands/dimensions

glad I'm not the only one who does this
>>
File: visibledragon.jpg (46KB, 995x511px) Image search: [Google]
visibledragon.jpg
46KB, 995x511px
>>91271653
>>
>>91271529
Wow
Wish I had been this creative
>>
>>91244786
>all set in a world that felt deeply comicbook-y

The quality of the world building in CoX was really what set it apart, I think.
They took a lot of care to build a universe where characters, factions, neighborhoods all had histories that made them make sense, and they did it in a way that would have fit right in to Thomas/Gruenwald style continuity mapping.
>>
>>91273473

Its not that I disagree with you of the CoX continuity assessment but I will say this, I absolutely adored the game and did not give a shit about the game's background.

For me it was a sandbox game, I made my superheroes and ran around beating up neo-nazis and wizards and thugs and zombies, I did not care that they were, in-game, 5th Column or Circle of Thorns or Hellions or Vahzilok.

I didn't *hate* the game's factions or storyline, it was just icing on the cake and personally I preferred the yummy cake underneath. Which was making my hugely-customized heroes and using them to beat the snot out of baddies.
>>
>>91274718
That's absolutely fair. As the guy who wrote the post he's responding to, the only reason I put that in is to contrast it to CO, where the retardation of the world is an active deterrent to immersing yourself and having fun blasting bad guys. When you're fighting fanboys with giant foam fingers, or trying to fight zombies that are constantly saying stupid shit like "I'm on a low brains diet!", it's very difficult to feel like a superhero. Having a good backstory is great and I like that they put the effort in and it feels genuinely comic book-y, but the best thing about it is just that they didn't screw the pooch and fuck the rest of it up.
>>
>>91233207
2 was trash and any defending it only play bots their whole lives
>>
this thread is very depressing
>>
>>91274718
>>91274880
I think the fact that you can enjoy the game on a purely sandbox level says a lot about the thought that went into the story and world, making it feel organic and natural, rather than forced like CO's.
Thread posts: 350
Thread images: 90

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.