[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the moral of this story about the dangers of cultural

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

File: Nmbc_055.jpg_595.jpg (182KB, 1800x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Nmbc_055.jpg_595.jpg
182KB, 1800x1080px
Is the moral of this story about the dangers of cultural appropriation?
>>
>>91203423
Im sure that wasnt the intention
>>
No, the message was about not to be a weaboo
Jack was the weeb
Christmas town was Nippon
>>
No, the moral was "If you get bored with your job, shut up and keep doing it anyway, stupid."
>>
>>91203423
It's about not screwing around with the affairs and creations of others just because you think you know what is best.

Perhaps the same could be said of all the animation industry.
>>
>>91203423
Yes it was
>>
If youre a braindead tumblrfag who sees everything as some form of validation of their political beliefs, then yes. Otherwise probably not
>>
>>91203423
Burton is a creative mind so it's more applicable to artists & creativity in general. He essentially was copying another artist and trying to make that artist's work his own without fully understanding the context and nuancies of that work. Instead, he should have been taking inspiration from that artist's work to enrich his own work and give himself a new perspective.
>>
>>91203591
>Perhaps the same could be said of all the animation industry.
Deep bro
>>
>>91203632
>implying anyone under the age of 12 would know what Nightmare Before Christmas is
>>
TNBC always confused me. Tim Burton loves morals about individuality and not giving a shit what others think...but this movie's moral is the complete opposite.

The moral of the film is literally DO NOT TRY NEW THINGS, YOU WILL FAIL. JUST STICK TO THE STATUS QUO. FALL IN LINE AND EVERYONE WILL PROSPER, COMRADE.
>>
>>91206721
>taking it at face value and boiling it down to something so dumbed down instead of seeing the actual complexity of the moral
c'mon man
>>
>>91206468
>He essentially was copying another artist and trying to make that artist's work his own without fully understanding the context and nuancies of that work. Instead, he should have been taking inspiration from that artist's work to enrich his own work and give himself a new perspective.
This.
>>
>>91203423
I thought it was the usual "The grass is always greener" type thing?
>>
File: The moral of Wreck It Ralph.png (209KB, 1024x1252px) Image search: [Google]
The moral of Wreck It Ralph.png
209KB, 1024x1252px
>>91203423
>>
File: 1478219674717.png (39KB, 384x313px) Image search: [Google]
1478219674717.png
39KB, 384x313px
>>91206544
I don't interact with a lot of younger people, is Nightmare Before Christmas finally just a brand of Hot Topic clothing to a whole generation?
>>
I see it more as a message that if you're inspired to try something yourself, you should go for it. If you fuck it up, then at least you gave it your best. But you should also take responsibility for your mistakes and kill Oogie Boogie when he attempts to kill Santa Claus and your zombie waifu.
>>
>>91207140
sage words
>>
Its /co/ so I can't tell if OP is trolling
>>
>>91207140
Was Sally a zombie? I thought she was a rag doll
>>
>>91207237
Zombie, rag doll, same difference.
Whatever she is, you can know for a fact that she wanted Jack to bone her.
>>
>>91203423
This is my favorite kids movie
I don't know why I have a strange fascination with the idea of a character who is a king above everyone with control over everything who worked through hell to obtained it all and now that he has it he is bored and bitter and sits in the throne looking down at everyone with nothing but disdain, I had it all my lofe
There is this old musician I loved as a kid who is pretty much among the top three musicians ever in my country and he used to have this perfect voice but now it's old and raspy and destroyed by all the drugs he did and I went once to watch him play Wich he did once a year and he sat and yelled I was the king of this land Wich is part of the lyrics of a song but with his old voice not even singing looking at the audience and you could tell he was the fucking king and we are the servants going there to pay tribute
>>
>>91207237
she was a frankenstein
>>
>>91207327
One, you're high.
Two, was it Dylan? Because I know that all he does nowadays is mumble his songs.
>>
>>91203632
Well, she's kind of right, isn't she? In this particular instance, anyway. That might not have been the intended message of the movie, but you can't deny that Jack took what wasn't his and nearly ruined it completely because he didn't understand it.

If Jack wants to dress as Santa, more power to him, but the problem is he tried to BE Santa.
>>
>>91203632
Technically the whole world is culturally appropriating the American version of Christmas
SantClaus alone was designed for cocacola ads
>>
>>91207237
>>91207252
>>91207357
rag doll stuffed with autumn leaves
holy fuck please go to a doctor and get your memory checked, these kinds of movies are specifically setup so you'll remember them even past childhood
>>
>>91203423
I thought it was about how stores shouldn't start putting the Christmas stuff out when Halloween isn't even over yet.
>>
>>91206468
This. Also, midlifecrisis.
>>
>>91207417
It's gotten to the point where Saint Nicholas and the American version (translated into "christmas man" or "father christmas" are now two distinct figures in Europe, one giving presents on Dec 6 and the other on Dec 25.
>>
>>91207398
He kidnapped santa claus, not allowing him to do what he does and doing it for him instead, wrong.
"cultural appopriation" is bullshit as a concept because it's not stopping people from doing what they do, it's just copying them. Imagine if instead of trying to take-over christmas they would have turned halloween into a holiday of scary gifts and surprises. There'd been no problem at all.
>>
>>91203632
>Tried to take what is unique about Christmas Town away
He literally stole Santa, it's not the same thing
>>
>>91203578
that's a good point
april fools, filtered
>>
>>91209377
Nah, in most places in Europe it's still Baby Jesus/etc. that brings presents on the 25th.
And I think the dec6 thing is mostly a thing in ex-communist countries because Christmas was discouraged back then.
>>
>>91203632
Since she provided no context on who the children she so often talks to are, I'm going to assume she just kidnaps them and teaches them about this stuff, then tosses them back on the street to start a new run.
>>
File: Random Art (35).jpg (458KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Random Art (35).jpg
458KB, 1920x1080px
It's about not forcing your views on another

It's just Plato's Cave all over again

>Get out of ordinary place
>See wonders and unexplainable things
>Try to tell the average folk about the said things
>Instead of trying to reach for paradise they make the ideas commonplace, misunderstanding every single aspect of it
>Finally forces everyone to behold what he saw
>In fear people attack him ending in death and the others going back to status quo

Of course the downplayed the death part, but it's pretty much that

Trying to make other people see something only themselves can do always ends in disaster.
>>
>>91203423
no, the moral is Burton is a fucking hack when it comes to animation and Henry Selick is the true source of this films brilliance.
>>
>>91209540
And convinced the other citizens of Halloween Town to emulate Christmas with a drastically incomplete understanding of what it's actually about or what the point of everything they're doing is, thereby spoiling it for the people who were expecting an actual Christmas and instead got Halloween Town's flawed interpretation thereof.
>>
>>91203423
the moral was "dont copy something superficially without understanding it"
>>
>>91210007
they aint gonna kill me, they chained to a chair. ill go get some clorophorm and knock those cock suckers out before i haul their dumb asses into the light
>>
>>91209959
Low countries and environs it's Dec 6 for Saint Nicholas (with some areas instead opting for Saint Martin on November 11 because ti's their patron saint), and Dec 25 is the commercialized American version.
>>
>>91211397
What does "low countries and environs" mean?
I'm from Hungary and over here it's dec6 for Mikulás/télapó(saint Nicholas/father winter) and dec25 for Christmas with baby Jesus bringing gifts.
Of course, Santa Claus imagery is getting more common by virtue of the anglosphere producing more items with it, but as far as I know it's not that common for Santa Claus to bring gifts on Christmas.
>>
>>91211420
Belgium, Netherlands, Luxemburg, Northern France, Germany around Cologne.
>>
>>91210007
Look at how buff these people are.

Is this because the artist only used ideal beauty standards for men in art or because people needing to use manual labor more meant people naturally had more definition and bulk and thus this was more normal?
>>
>>91207398
The problem is that these people use it in context where it usually doesn't fit.
>>
>>91211546
It's idealized. That painting is late 1700s.
>>
>>91206721
I think the moral is that you won't succeed at everything you try & that's okay. Also, that it's best to be yourself; Jack was THE Pumpkin King, the leader of Halloween. That's who he is, not someone for Christmas.
>>
>>91203512
but they did it and turner excellent
>>
>>91211468
>Germany around Cologne
>6th of December for presents

Nah m8. You get a chocolate Nikolaus for Dec6 and your Christmas presents on Christmas Eve, Dec24.
>>
>>91203423
No, the lesson was don't be a menace to South Central while drinking your juice in the hood.
>>
>>91213152
MEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!!!!
>>
>>91203423
It's that just because you want to do something, doesn't mean that you'll be good at it, and it might be better to just stick with what you're good at, and let the people who are good at doing the thing you'd like to do, do that instead.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.