[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

We always talk about shows with good worldbuilding but what are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 443
Thread images: 78

File: IMG_3889.jpg (47KB, 900x495px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3889.jpg
47KB, 900x495px
We always talk about shows with good worldbuilding but what are some shows that have generally bad worldbuilding? For me it's Steven Universe.

>Town on the beach is just called Beach City
>The Homeworld of the gems is just called Homeworld
>Thousand year war has little effect on the earth itself and nobody even knows what gems are
>Technology is exactly the same as ours despite having all this advanced shit laying around
>Humans that lived for hundreds of generations in a space station look and talk exactly like the ones on earth in present day
>Despite gems being hugely tied to human history in the show people still act like all this shit is new
>Monsters roam the earth but the only time we see them is when they're around beach city and they almost never attack anywhere else
>>
>>91188262

This reminds me of a lot of recent stories, especially parody fantasy, that try to be ironically uncreative in names to make up for their actually uncreativity.
>>
Hi, /v/.
>>
Anyone else remember Steven is a millionaire?
>>
>>91188542
And the only thing to come of that was Greg being able to buy a boat to go out to see. The writing is so bad in this show that the protagonist's father becoming a millionaire was near inconsequential
>>
>>91188262
Why did Sugar nuke Russia and give South America a tumor?
>>
File: 1488872527354.jpg (48KB, 1293x774px) Image search: [Google]
1488872527354.jpg
48KB, 1293x774px
>>91188262
>Russia has a giant hole in the middle of it for whatever reason, probably to make it a less powerful force in this world
>In actuality, this is giving Russia a warm water port, something it's always needed to become as powerful as say the US
>>
>>91188262
Show had great lorebuilding , you could have a lot of good rock enemy desings.
Too bad Rebeca don't care about it.
Also its confirmed gems are weak as fuck yet people did nothing about it.

>>91188324
Hi /sug/ the only cancer that cant accept critisism.
>He really think S3/S4 are not garbage.
Beyond help at this point
>>
>>91188712
worked
>>
Thank you. Thank you.
I'm sick of all the fans praising the fuck out of it's 'brilliant world building'.

Jesus

From what (little) I've seen of MLP it's not world building material either.

Many big modern fandom shows aren't. Relative to other media of course.
>>
>>91188648
Because they don't allow gays
>>
>>91188262
>confirmed that the gems can't invade barren planets but have to use planets with life on it
>no one is discussing he fact that this mean there have to be countless worlds eith alien civilizations in order to sustain Homeworld

This universe is undeveloped as fuck. There's probably another invasion of another planet going on right fucking now or maybe even multiple ones or at least future targets but there is not part of the plot at all.
>>
File: 1464460633682.jpg (1MB, 2261x2076px) Image search: [Google]
1464460633682.jpg
1MB, 2261x2076px
>>91188921
>hospitable planets always have alien civilizations
>>
>>91188654
Warm water port they can use to go only to the arctic, dumdum
>>
>>91188986
No they said they need life for some undisclosed reason. Like they need sentient and intelligent beings
>>
>>91188262
Yeah, that's bugged me from day one.

> Ancient ruins and artifacts literally everywhere
>Archeology as a science apparently doesn't exist
>>
If I were in the human zoo I'd be throwing my feces at the gems all the time. Just saying.
>>
>>91189079
That may as well just mean plantlife, or the conditions in which living organism can bloom. Doesn't mean the planet has to have an alien civilization developed there.
>>
>>91188648
>South America is now a continent-sized argentinian
>>
>>91188648
Because the Tunguska Event was awesome and anything related to it is inherently cool, and to make it so that black guyanese people could exist even if they were not yet decided how the Americas were settled according to the show's alternate history.
>>
>>91188262
I agree with half of what you're saying but with the ones is disagree:

These are based on your own sense of humor. Personally I find it pretty funny how these two important landmark/world have such a literal name. And irl there are actually many towns and cities named after the type of land etc. it's positioned in. My own district is literally named after the way all of the towns are centered and some of the towns have pretty literal names too.

>Monsters roam the earth but the only time we see them is when they're around beach city and they almost never attack anywhere else
This one was explained in the show a few times before. Corrupted and cluster gems are attracted to other gems which is why most of them head towards Beach City.
>>
File: tumblr_o4ukmd57f41vnq1cro1_1280.gif (434KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o4ukmd57f41vnq1cro1_1280.gif
434KB, 640x360px
Steven Universe is a great show though
>>
>>91189179
>Corrupted and cluster gems are attracted to other gems which is why most of them head towards Beach City.

When was this stated?
>>
>>91189207
>says while posting the shittiest character on the show
>>
>>91189207
Sure if you only watch kids cartoons
>>
>>91189228
I know, it was just the only SU gif I had
>>
>>91189179
You could also explain away each time they warped to fight corrupt gems as being interception missions or attacks of opportunity, either of which would be started because of Garnet seeing them through future vision. The world is big enough that aimlessly wandering corrupt gems are only a threat when they run out of isolating space, which could take a while.
>>
File: c94.png (102KB, 488x425px) Image search: [Google]
c94.png
102KB, 488x425px
>>91189229
An outstanding show nevertheless
>>
>>91189207
>lying this bad
Was anon , it was great. Then S3/4 happened.
Also fuck off /sug/
>>
File: maxresdefault-4.jpg (112KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault-4.jpg
112KB, 1920x1080px
>>91189348
Nah, S3 was nice
>>
>>91189404
>it was nice
>post the boring episode with the mediocre songs
>they went to an hotel only to sing
K /sug/
>Pls like the show
>>
File: Mr._Greg_194.png (1MB, 1920x1090px) Image search: [Google]
Mr._Greg_194.png
1MB, 1920x1090px
>>91189458
Well, thats what musical episodes are all about,you know, singing
>>
>>91188262
>Christmas and Halloween flat out don't exist
>>
>>91189598
Gotta take out the fun holidays for maximum boringness.
>>
>>91188262
>>91189598
>WW2 never happened.
>Technology is exactly the same.
>>
>>91189404
>that shitty malachite arc
>that wrap up of the cluster
>that shitty lapis arc
>that shitty jasper arc
>that shitty memebarn
>that peridot infantilization
>that introduction of new gems just to bubble them/dropkick them into space just so Steven could cry about not being able to save them
>that shifty season finale
Season three had a couple of good standalone standalone episodes but as a whole it was shit
>>
File: 1489801797706.jpg (10KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
1489801797706.jpg
10KB, 500x400px
>>91189207
I'm sorry man but with the recent leak and how fucking slowly they're advancing the plot alongside the regression of Steven as a character it's really starting to get shitty. Keep in mind; that's without mentioning how badly they fucked up Lapis and Peridot as characters, the impressively inconsistent and somehow worsening character art and the abysmal scheduling.
>>
>>91188262

I agree with most of what you said, except these two. Beach City is heavily based off a place in Maryland called Ocean City, and it is a pretty spot-on portrayal. Also, basically any alien's name for their home planet is going to be "earth" or "world", altered to "homeworld" if they expand.
>>
File: 087.png (862KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
087.png
862KB, 1280x720px
Proper World Building usually comes from a collaborative effort, which isn't how Steven Universe is made. Sugar basically made a few set pieces and lets her storyboarders do whatever they want, thereby lacking a unified vision. Consistency is the key to good world building.
>>
>>91189871
All the boring filler taking away development and fleshing out of all the character arcs that were going on was the worst thing about it.
>>
File: beach.jpg (46KB, 718x466px) Image search: [Google]
beach.jpg
46KB, 718x466px
>>91189904
Only the name came from Ocean City. It doesn't bare any resemblance otherwise.
>>
i need every single tiny detail of every story to be explained or else i get incredibly upset and start crying due to my debilitating autism
>>
>>91190202
>he supports lazy hack writing
>>
>>91189883
Yeah, S4 has been very disappointing so far. All these filter episodes and character twists are slowly ruining the show...
>>
>>91190202
Thats how /co/ works, anon. People complain about literally everything here.
>>
>>91188262
And yet, despite all the SU's worldbuilding is still postively Tolkienesque compared to the total fucking drivel that is Adventure Time's "Lore".
>>
>>91190617
But that's comparing a droplet of water to nothingness.
>>
>>91190252

why are there aliens that look like humans in star wars despite it taking place a long time ago in a galaxy far far away? they have advanced technology so they can't be earth humans. I NEED to know this, or else i can't enjoy the story.
>>
File: Galactus_by_Livio_by_Livio27.jpg (186KB, 650x875px) Image search: [Google]
Galactus_by_Livio_by_Livio27.jpg
186KB, 650x875px
>>91189142
It seems to work on Galactus rules. There is some sort of magical life force the gems consume when they are planted(?).

>>91188262
I just want some MIB, or XCOM, pop up and say some shit. When an alien ship fucking explodes on a city and the government doesn't show up you're really stretching the suspension of disbelief.

>>91191397
I know you are just trying to make a point but they used to explain it as an ancient inter-galactic empire abducted humans for use as slaves and ended up distributing them throughout the SW galaxy.
>>
>>91189772
this
>>
>>91191471
>MIB or XCOM
That would be great.
No, kino?
>>
>>91191500
>>91189772
Not only that, but the culture is the same. They have fucking Prince and Video Killed the Radio Star. Never mind that Sugar, or maybe it Ian, said there were no religions or holidays.
>>
>>91191636
That was Matt.
>>
>>91188262
The more you think of it as DBZ fanfiction, the more you realize half of these complaints are things that never bothered you in DBZ.

All aliens know Earth labguages, just like in DBZ
Nobody questions weird monsters all the time, just like in DB/DBZ
Naming of things are very basic or practically a joke/pun name, just like DBZ

I'm not saying these aren't complaints to point out, I'm just curious as to why they weren't talked about sooner since it's been done for so long on so many shows.
>>
>>91191471

>none of these humans ever decided to contact their home planet despite the knowledge of where earth is clearly existing and having the technology to do so
>>
>>91188262
>Technology is exactly the same as ours despite having all this advanced shit laying around
Even worse, there weren't as many wars in this earth yet they still have similar technology despite much of it being developed out of war.
>>
>>91191803
They did
>>
>>91189549
So why bother having it set up with them going to a city we never really got to explore, check into a hotel, and then stay in their room and sing?

Steven and Greg could've just wanted to camp on the beach for a night and invited Pearl because Garnet and Amethyst needed to do a mission without Pearl and Steven didn't want her to be lonely. That setup would've taken 1 minute max, too.
>>
>>91191800
DB doesn't take place on an earth based off of ours, has a completely different geographic and backstory, and explains the cultures of the planets.
>>
>>91188262
>Almost every problem with SU's world building is caused because Beach City residents don't ask questions any normal human being would ask immediately
Seriously, that shit is really beginning to piss me off, especially when Steven gets mad at the gems for "not telling him anything" despite never asking in the first place.
>>
>>91191843
>Other anon has no response

So that's what it's like to see someone getting BTFO in real time.
>>
did anyone download the leaked ep? i cant find it anywhere
>>
>>91191800
>>91191895
This and DBZ is considered pretty tongue-in-cheek. The anime community isn't calling DBZ one of the best worldbuilding animes around or even consider it a top tier show.

On the flipside, western animation is in such a bad place, that Steven IS considered one of the best cartoons out there by the general community and is consistently praised for its continuity, lore, and worldbuilding simply because there are so few shows with it, that it's graded on a curve which puts it at the top even though it doesn't deserve it. Therefore, people look at it more critically.
>>
>>91191888
Nah, that makes too much sense man.
>>
>>91191800
>Nobody questions weird monsters all the time, just like in DB/DBZ

That planet also has dinasaours and furry people, when people from that world saw picolo for the first time everyone rised an eyebrow but let it pass becouse there's furry people everywhere, same thing with goku having a monkey's tail, its weird, but whatever, furry people, no need to be rude to them

When people start flying from the sky and lunching lazer beams out of their hands everyone turns their head becouse its legit out of place, people are scared and confused and stay scared and confused

The "Everyone talks the same lenguage" is honestly for the sake of convinience becouse it would be a chore and waste of time to explain all this shit, a thing they would have to explain often since there's a lot of aliens anyway, so it gets a pass from me for every work of fiction it wants to use that
>>
>>91188542
Greg is a millionaire, Steven is a poor fag who lives in a shack
>>
>>91192192
>Greg still lives in his van and takes care of the Car Wash cuz.

That plot point was literally an excuse to give the gang props they needed to make episodes work. A iPad for Peridot, a boat for Lapis. All of that shit could've just been re-worked otherways (The Pizza family buys Steven an iPad, Steven uses a magical artifact to create a boat) but what the fuck ever I guess.
>>
File: Su_1canada.png (306KB, 555x314px) Image search: [Google]
Su_1canada.png
306KB, 555x314px
>>91189622
And yet Judaism still exists, so their Black Fridays must be for shitty Hanukkah gifts.
>>
>>91191843
Prove it, fag
>>
File: 1490921876567.jpg (938KB, 1160x1160px) Image search: [Google]
1490921876567.jpg
938KB, 1160x1160px
>>91192361
>jew makes a show
>Only Jews and Atheist exist.

yep, sounds like a kike paradise.
doesn't make it better that the Gems considered humans goyims. but then again, any superior alien race would think that so that'll make a pass.
>>
>>91188614
To be fair that's sort of a character trait. Greg is so sensible and unwanting that it doesn't really affect him except relatively inexpensive things.
>>
>we always talk about shows with good worldbuilding

No we don't
>>
On top of that its also better for him to not be a spendthrift and spend the money when wisely as opposed to being another "character gets a huge load of money and blows it all away in one episode" thing
>>
>>91191831
To be fair, all we know is that some wars we knew didn't happen. That doesn't rule out alternate wars happening.
>>
>>91188262
>Decepticons (get it, DECEPTION)
>>
>>91188262

like many towns with stupid literal names

translations are like this. we never call other people's places their original name, if i was telling an alien about the human galactic empire, i'd say the "human homeworld" rather than the name earth, because the name earth doesn't mean dick to some random space-fuck.

>Thousand year war has little effect on the earth itself and nobody even knows what gems are

little effect? the earth is scarred beyond belief. nobody knows what gems are because there's like 3 of them on the entire planet and they all live in the same fucking house. the monsters are just that, monsters. and much like today, most monster stories are instantly dismissed.

yeah, advanced alien quantum computers are too advanced to reverse engineer, especially considering all that tech is physically indistinguishable from fucking rocks.

>Humans that lived for hundreds of generations in a space station look and talk exactly like the ones on earth in present day

except they don't. at all. they're a docile, tribal slave race that speaks goofy and wears loincloths and all have split lips.

>Despite gems being hugely tied to human history in the show people still act like all this shit is new

because it is? it's not common knowledge that there was an alien war 5000 years ago.

they're attracted to the crystal gems, they seek out beach city specifically, on top of being rare enough and generally avoiding humans.
you're issues are stupid and you're stupid. and this thread is bait.
>>
>>91192361
>Lapis splits the sea like Moses
>Lost from her people
>Uses golems to fight the gems

gooooooyyys
>>
File: 1489898143140.png (358KB, 532x640px) Image search: [Google]
1489898143140.png
358KB, 532x640px
>the cluster
>a massive super weapon composed of millions of gem shards
>the scientists never detected it
This show is beyond trash
>>
File: 1435805458206.jpg (272KB, 900x783px) Image search: [Google]
1435805458206.jpg
272KB, 900x783px
>>91189978
To be fair, the show was more consistent when Ian J.Q. worked on the show. If you used seasons 1 and 2 as a base, you could make a consistent world from what SU established.
>>
>>91192550
Are all SUfags this delusional?
>>
>>91192651
More science fags....
>>
>>91192706
More shills...
>>
>>91192691

Leave him alone, he's the last of his kind, let him die happy at least
>>
>>91192540
>Evil Robots, transform!
-Rebecca Sugar's Transformers
>>
>>91192550
>Hur dur everything was keep in secret and gems dindu nutin so the people don't care.
/sug/ please
>>
>>91192550
>translations are like this.

?
Even Homeworld gems call it Homeworld
>>
>>91192550
>little effect? the earth is scarred beyond belief. nobody knows what gems are because there's like 3 of them on the entire planet and they all live in the same fucking house. the monsters are just that, monsters. and much like today, most monster stories are instantly dismissed.

So I guess written history isn't a thing in SU's world? Shouldn't something like a war that stands multiple thousands of years be recorded?

>yeah, advanced alien quantum computers are too advanced to reverse engineer, especially considering all that tech is physically indistinguishable from fucking rocks.

What about the metals they left behind? The not, fully functional technology? You mean to tell me those giant gem Kindergarten machines went untouched for almost 10,000 years?
>>
File: transform and rise up.gif (501KB, 455x384px) Image search: [Google]
transform and rise up.gif
501KB, 455x384px
>>91188262
>Waiting for the heroes to show up
>>
File: american toponymy at work.jpg (73KB, 505x635px) Image search: [Google]
american toponymy at work.jpg
73KB, 505x635px
>>91188262

That seems entirely realistic to me.
>>
>>91192882
Are they adjacent to places called River Town?
>>
>>91189178
>Tunguska
Are you fucking retarded? It would take something beyond Yellowstone to obliterate enough continental crust to make the ocean fill in the space of the landmass.
>>
>>91192859
>The not, fully functional technology?

Onion could use that weird replicator thingy in S1, why wound't there be more things like that?
>>
>>91192651
How would they know it? Neither the scientists of our world know what is in the center of the Earth
>>
File: 1429068257787.jpg (132KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1429068257787.jpg
132KB, 640x640px
I actually like this show, but it's left me so blue-balled and jaded at this point. Between the hiatuses and the unfulfilled promise of "lore" and "world-building", I'm just left feeling burnt out by it. It's been on for so long now, but has made so little progress in the story. At this rate, I won't even mind if it gets cancelled without an ending. It's not like we were getting there any time soon. Another thing I have issue with is the fact they made this a parallel Earth. I get they needed to because of the gems, but there's so little difference between our Earth and SU's Earth. There's ruins and battlefields sure and that hole in Russia every fan points out, but all of those things are superficial and don't affect the world or the show in any noticeable way since we're mostly stuck in Beach City. Like some Anons have pointed out, our technology level is exactly the same despite alien, hard-light technology scattered all across the world, it makes no sense that scientists wouldn't try to gather it and figure it out. You can say it's "Too advanced" but I'll call bull on that, over a thousand years is a long time to experiment on things. Then there are things that have happened that didn't garner any attention by the world, and didn't outright destroy the world when they should have. A giant hand ship entering the atmosphere and then crashing into a mountain, and more importantly, Lapis lifting the ENTIRETY of the Earth's Oceans and then dropping it all back on the Earth. That second one should've ended humanity for the most part, but I digress.

This show has left me so tired, someone please put it out of its misery already.
>>
Beach City does sound like something that could exist but it still doesn't change the fact could have had a much more creative and meaningful name in relation to the story.

Often I find many of the names for characters and plot devices and props to be too simplistic and a wasted opportunity for (albeit pretentious) symbolism and subtext.
>>
>>91192859
The war took place around the time of Egypt and most of it was in the New World.
>>
File: american toponymy.jpg (176KB, 668x709px) Image search: [Google]
american toponymy.jpg
176KB, 668x709px
>>91192909
Close enough.
>>
>>91192936
CGs already looted all easily accesible places.
>>
File: Dragon ball.jpg (79KB, 410x400px) Image search: [Google]
Dragon ball.jpg
79KB, 410x400px
>>91192768
>I'm a saiyan from the planet saiyan
--Rebecca Sugar's Dragon Ball
>>
>>91192550
>yeah, advanced alien quantum computers are too advanced to reverse engineer, especially considering all that tech is physically indistinguishable from fucking rocks.

>easy to use devices like cloning machines and time traveling trinkets exist but somehow are never touched by humans despite being in relatively simple locations
>>
>>91193008
More like:

I'm Monkey Alien from the planet Monkey Homeworld
>>
File: 1464613627671.gif (2MB, 209x213px) Image search: [Google]
1464613627671.gif
2MB, 209x213px
>>91189772
>>91191636
fuck off retard
>>
>>91188744
>From what (little) I've seen of MLP it's not world building material either.
In its defense, it started off simple yet interesting enough, but lately they've been killing it rather hard. Some say the decay goes back as far as the end of season 2. Not to say, the timeline is a complete mess.
>>
File: 1429078365021.jpg (209KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1429078365021.jpg
209KB, 1000x1000px
Why hasn't the military/government of America secured the Kindergartens and reverse engineered the equipment there to create an armed detachment of super soldier gems?
>>
>>91192973
So?
>>
File: Aku.gif (581KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Aku.gif
581KB, 500x375px
>>91193049
>SUfags this assblasted
>>
>>91193008

Its funny becouse its actually Prince Vegeta, son of King Vegeta From planet Vegeta
>>
File: Underwater_Temple_Outside_View.png (1MB, 1280x738px) Image search: [Google]
Underwater_Temple_Outside_View.png
1MB, 1280x738px
>>91193009
>easy to use devices like cloning machines and time traveling trinkets exist but somehow are never touched by humans despite being in relatively simple locations

A temple on the ocean floor which is designed to collapse if the wrong item is picked up. A relatively simple location.
>>
>>91193064
There was barely any written script in Egyptian times.
>>
>>91193062
They failed at reverse engineering.
>>
File: 1462663483304.gif (4MB, 581x327px) Image search: [Google]
1462663483304.gif
4MB, 581x327px
>>91193073
>>91192691
>>91192787

what the fuck is wrong with you retards what do you want to nitpick and hate everything in this show you dont watch
>>
>>91188262
>The small town is just called Smallville
>The big city is just called Metropolis
>The man who dresses like a bat is just called Batman
>>
>>91192550
Alright /sug/ lets play, I spent so many hours on this shitty show just to fuck a subpar asian girl and it wasn't worth it, to be quite honest she was a dead fish in bed and I was so frustrated that I had to mask some bullshit hardcore foreplay just for I can strangle her for wasting my time for the first fuck.

>like many towns with stupid literal names
The Mayor is a retard, and the many mayors before him so I'll give you that.

>translations are like this. we never call other people's places their original name
No fucking country/city/town is "Home", for Homeworld to literally mean Homeworld is retarded and just proves the amount of time Sugar actually spent her time on thinking about the lore behind SU, which doesn't exist cause she uses her show to peddle gay acceptance and all that nu-male cuck shit

>little effect? the earth is scarred beyond belief. nobody knows what gems are because there's like 3 of them on the entire planet and they all live in the same fucking house. the monsters are just that, monsters. and much like today, most monster stories are instantly dismissed.

The Earth isn't scarred beyond belief, it's a different fucking Earth.
and to say that no one know what the Gems are even though the show specifically said that Humans and Gems fought side by side together in an apocalyptic war to free themselves of the Diamonds is beyond retarded, did all the fucking scholars and historians died during the time or what?

>indistinguishable from fucking rocks.
sure

>except they don't. at all. they're a docile, tribal slave race that speaks goofy and wears loincloths and all have split lips.
and yet they all somehow speak English, aren't inbred to hell and back, and have distinct races and aren't all mongrels.
>error exceed 2000 char limit.
fuck you 4chan.
>>
>>91193064
Let's look at all the preserved writing from North America that predates the Roman Empire:

Oh look, there's nothing.
>>
File: 1429078840332.png (314KB, 1032x1180px) Image search: [Google]
1429078840332.png
314KB, 1032x1180px
>>91193126
I watch the show, and I still wonder these things. It's a failure of the writers/creator for being bad at worldbuilding.
>>
>>91193062
Yes seriously the humans should have discovered the kindergardens centuries ago, and why didnt the Korean government confiscate and classify Pink Diamond's palanquin.
>>
>>91193091
Still wouldn't make sense if oral history still exists. Humans would still be full aware of Gem stuff due to the face we've SEEN the war was recorded on earth.
>>
Are people upset that SU isn't HFY?
>>
>>91193082
Saiyan homeworld was the planet Salad.
>>
>>91193153
>oral history
>dude there was like these girls that had colored skin and shiny rocks on their bodies and they were like fighting and shit a long time ago
>Your sex fantasies are getting weird Mike.
>>
>>91192936

Because that would mean that the crew would have to actually think about the effect advanced gem technology would have on humanity, and they're too lazy to do that
>>
>>91193140
Same situation with me.
>>
>>91193140
it's bad because you don't like it
>>
>>91193153
Their descendants didn't pass off the knowledge further.
>>
>>91193138
Oh look at the hyrogliphics and objects that exist dating back thousands of years that exist
>>
>>91193138
There is a shit ton of evidence about the war, retard.
>>
>More advanced than human
>use close range weapons in warfare instead of something like guns

Are the gems savages?
>>
>>91193062

Because that might actually be an interesting arc to explore and the Crewniverse is too lazy and pacifistic to explore the human military applications of gemtech
>>
>>91193132
And it's shit and was inconsistent what's your point?
>>
File: 8230582085023852835.png (165KB, 834x1027px) Image search: [Google]
8230582085023852835.png
165KB, 834x1027px
>>91193191
I like the show though? I think it's cute and fun, but I can admit the world is built poorly and there's a lot of holes in this world's history and structure. You can like something and see faults in it too, y'know?
>>
>>91193229
They do use guns tho.
>>
>>91193244
But the gem war was full of tards using close range melee weapons instead of PEW PEW PEW.
>>
>>91193193
That sounds like bullshit. Even as myths they should exist. Why would people not talk about a war that invoked the entire planet?
>>
>>91193126

>REEEEEEEEEEEE THEY DON'T THINK SU IS THE BEST SHOW EVER
> I'LL SHOW THEM
>>
>>91193275
They talked about more important things like (at the time) current events.
>>
>>91193237
You can enjoy a show all you want (despite what some of the responses to your comment you're bound to get)

It's just that this show is praised like the bible for being perfect and amazing and the best thing ever to the point where any criticism is considered null and void.

People like me are just sick of the pedestal it's been put on for so long when there are more deserving things out there.
>>
>>91193138

While that actually might have worked (the gem war being largely explained away as native mythology) it completely ignores the vast wealth of evidence all over the world that anyone could look at and say "oh, here's a bunch of ancient ruins from a technologically advanced civilization predating our own"
>>
>>91192973
>>91193091
>>91193138
>There was barely any written script in Egyptian times.
Yeah, there was barely any written script in dinosaurs times but we know about them.
>>
>>91193126
>/sug/ think everyone who disagree with their opinion don't watch the show because they don't like what happen to the show.
NOBODY IS THIS DELUSIONAL
>>
>>91193348
Roast is roast
>>
>>91193091
>There was barely any writing in Egyptian times.
That's horse shit anon, and you know it. Egypt had a written language as far back as their Predynastic Eras and even then, they bordered Rome aka one of the biggest recorders of events in history. There's no reason for there not to be written recordings of the gems and the war in history.
>>
>>91193307
So then they're retarded version of our humans who never made stories or had oral history
>>
>>91193373
Egyptian times was a time when all humans except Egyptians and some middle easterners were retarded savages living in the wild so no written script that could be globally transmitted.
>>
>>91193381
Of course. You do watch the show do you?
>>
>>91193381
Why yes.
>>
>>91193283
>>91193358
not an argument
>>
>>91188262
>has little effect on the earth itself
There's a giant hole in Russia, and ruins of an ancient civilization left all over the place, to the point that people dismiss is as normal. How is that unchanged?
>>
>the entire New World was off limits due to gems
>That means no New World colonies
>Yet black people still exist in the North America of SU

Explain this.
>>
File: 1428470351106.jpg (143KB, 1000x564px) Image search: [Google]
1428470351106.jpg
143KB, 1000x564px
>>91193337
I think you're responding to the wrong person. I'm agreeing with you. I'm saying that I like the show and that I see the faults in it. I was responding to someone who said I didn't watch the show.
>>
>>91188262
>despite having all this advanced shit laying around
That runs on gem magic, a thing humans don't have access to.

A
>>
>>91193419
Legal immigrants.
>>
>>91193419
I cannot.
I can only ask one other question, what nationality was Buddy, exactly?
>>
>>91193432
Retard >>91192936
>>
File: list of eps.png (97KB, 1716x876px) Image search: [Google]
list of eps.png
97KB, 1716x876px
The best possible version of Steven Universe
>>
>>91192936
Steven had unlocked its functionality for Onion.
>>
>>91193410
Because the geography of the planet is irrelevant. If it's still the exact same as ours
>>
>>91193434
>legal
The Atlantic Slave Trade is the only reason blacks are even seen as people in our reality, if it never happened Europeans would still see blacks as wild animals stuck in the paleolithic era meaning no blacks in North America EVER.

Blacks would be stuck in Africa till the sun blows up without whitey whipping their asses across the Atlantic. So Jenny and her family should not exist.
>>
>>91193421
post more pearl
>>
>>91193469
>implying the only thing bad about su is filler episodes
>>
>>91193518
Different timeline. Butterfly effect. Legal immigrants are plausible really.
>>
>>91188262

>talk exactly like the ones on earth in present day

Its called a storytelling device. How much time you wanted being invested in breaking the language barrier between characters in a 11 minutes cartoon? If they had used some sort of translator or some other shit like that you would be here whining all the same. Are you seriously this autistic, Anon?
>>
this show has been around for several years and we still have no male gems

steven is a WOMAN stuck in a boy's body
>>
>>91193373
It doesn't even need to be recorded, just passed down in legend, like "Listen son, colorful super strong women with jewels stuck on their body had a big war, that temple has the monsters they left here, so its best if you don't go near there alone, specially since you're so young yourself, when you grow up you can hunt with the adults" or something like that
>>
>>91193570
Bismuth.
>>
I guess I'm just gonna go out on a limb and ask why they decided not to have WW2 and other large world events?
>>
File: RebeccaSugar.png (236KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
RebeccaSugar.png
236KB, 500x667px
>>91193570
Don't expect that to change anytime soon. Rebecca Sugar is too busy pandering to tumblrinas.
>>
>>91193088
But guys this one location is really hard to get to that means all of them are
>>
>>91193606
Because they're uncomfortable
>>
>>91193559
>Legal immigrants are plausible
Slavery made white people lose their innate disgust at blacks in favor of their pity and sorrow for them, without slavery whites would only despise blacks and thus never allow them in their civilizations ever. Remember only ONE WHITE COUNTRY TRIED TO STOP SLAVERY and that was the United Kingdom, America, Spain, France, and Portugal would have kept blacks as slaves to this day had the U.K never existed.
>>
Maybe the reason nobody gives a fuck about the gems and dont seem all that impressed with monsters and magic is because they are aware of mankinds past events.
>>
>>91193631

Tumblr is 50% hardcore porn, how it comes even close of representing any sort of feminism?
>>
>>91193565
Also making a conlang that isnt a relex of english is really hard because it requires you to think in a way that isnt possible in your language

I mean shit you could make an alien language by just making up sounds with no consistency as much as the plot needs instead of J-10 going hi

She could say

Kak J-10

Instead of her saying "This is Gareg he is from Earth"

She says:

Gareg Mudo Earth
>>
>>91193570
>no male gems
looks like someone never watched the show because the main character is a fucking male gem
>>
>>91193635
But a lot of other cartoon versions of our world don't flat out not have a WW2 and other things.
It is a touchy subject for sure but it never has to be explicitly mentioned that they existed or are touched upon in the other shows.

Flat out removing an event like that creates a lot of holes.
>>
>>91193639
What makes you so sure that slavery existed in SUverse up until the discovery of the America?
>>
File: 1469164821400.png (261KB, 550x600px) Image search: [Google]
1469164821400.png
261KB, 550x600px
>>91193394
The argument is that it couldn't be recorded because no one had writing to do so. I'm telling you Egypt, and China had it, and if the war spanned 1000~ years then other civilizations witnessed it and recorded it as they developed writing. And as this anon said:
>>91193572
You don't even need writing since oral history and tradition existed before writing did.
>>
>>91193708
There is no slavery without a New World to exploit and since the New World was offlimits then the Europeans would be stuck in Europe and being at the mercy of Ottoman trading policies while blacks remain in Africa forever.
>>
File: steben uniikar.png (168KB, 520x626px) Image search: [Google]
steben uniikar.png
168KB, 520x626px
DON'T CRITICIZE MY FAVORITE SHOW WHEN IT LEGITIMATELY DOES SOMETHING WRONG, I DON'T WANT MY VIEWS CHALLENGED

they're completely right about CN fucking over the show though
>>
>>91188654
Unless if they do a Panama linking the Siberia water to north of Japan, the water port's only exit and entrance would be the freezing Arctic Ocean and defeat the entire warm spot theory, dude.

Still, I'm with OP on this thread, Steven Universe is generally shit at everything, even the half-decent lore. Too bad that instead of giving most of their attention into the story, the writers would rather have dozens of filler episodes to give Steven a scenario to preach their messages.

This annoys me a bit more than usual because I liked Season 1 a lot, such a shame they dropped the ball THIS hard.
>>
>>91192449

Greg lives in a van. He doesn't own a toilet. He doesn't have anything.
>>
>>91193724
The war was in the New World anon so they literally couldnt record it.
>>
>>91193572
Didn't the Mayor's story of founding the town involve the gems? In that story a giant women picked up their boat or something and disappeared in the mist after helping them. Or something. I imagine for most people, the gems are just something made up, a myth, or overexaggeration. Then there're people who know they exist, and are labeled as conspiracy theorists like Ronaldo.

I also imagine any humans who saw gem vs gem battles rarely made it back, and even then. They'd just be called crazy most of the time.
>>
>>91188262
>>Thousand year war has little effect on the earth itself and nobody even knows what gems are

Yeah, that part's bullshit. Earth's culture and history are different, Russia doesn't fucking exist, there are subtle hints of changes all around like the money being different, states having different names, Halloween and Christmas not existing, etc. Not the show's fault that you don't pay attention.

The whole point of the zoo is to preserve humans as they are. It makes sense that they'd update thing periodically.

>>Humans that lived for hundreds of generations in a space station look and talk exactly like the ones on earth in present day

No, they don't. If anything they act bored with the whole thing.

The Gems constantly go on missions where they hunt down monsters all over the world. But monsters are also drawn to Beach City because it's the only place in the world with other Gems.
>>
>>91193631
Rebecca definitely is more of the bottom type, but her storyboard artists aren't.
>>
>>91193737
What makes you think Ottomans exist?
>>
>>91193768
>Pink Diamond's personal palanquin found in Korea.
>IT WAS ONLY FOUGHT IN THE NEW WORLD HURR
Pearl even confirms she fought alongside humans and learned the concept of knighthood (A European concept) from them in earlier episodes.
>>
>>91188921
Compare it to Rick and Morty. In 2 season, we already know alot about the universe, its cast and why Rick is an interdimensional terror. Whereas the gems, all we know are:

>They took a hit during the rebellion
>they have a human farm that was owned by one of their former monarchs
>they are built to conquer worlds as they can operate in the most hazardous of conditions ans they can adapt
>gems are glorified microchips capable of projecting hard light
>they reproduce by destroying a planet
>draconian as fuck

Yet we haven't seen their empire, nor have we seen their armies. At least we got to see the Galactic Federation and how they operate.
>>
>>91193814
Because the Old World is not changed that much except the hole in Russia which ironically make it easier to live for humans due to the cold air from the arctic passing over it faster.
>>
>>91193799
>It makes sense that they'd update thing periodically.

No it doesn't because gems didn't come back to earth
>>
>>91193815
That was millenia after the war you moron.
>>
>>91189207
Objectively, Season 1-2 were good, Season 3-4 were shit.

Fuck outta here, ignorant fanboy.
>>
>>91192550
>translations are like this. we never call other people's places their original name, if i was telling an alien about the human galactic empire, i'd say the "human homeworld" rather than the name earth, because the name earth doesn't mean dick to some random space-fuck.
ALL of the gems in the series refer to the Diamonds' empire as "Homeworld" for whatever reason. It made sense when it was just the Crystal Gems doing it, but it's kind of weird for Jasper or Peridot to refer to everything by a generic term for their central planet.
>>
>>91193897
Season 3 was okay.
>>
File: 1469165069019.png (400KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1469165069019.png
400KB, 1000x1000px
>>91193874
>Blue Diamond says this is where it happened, it being where Pink Diamond was shattered, all those years ago.
>This was the catalyst of the war.
>"GUYS GUYS GUYS! I KNOW PINK DIAMOND'S COURT AND BLUE DIAMOND'S COURT ARE AROUND HERE, BUT LET'S SAY WE PACK UP AND MOVE TO THIS CONTINENT TO FIGHT BECAUSE WE DON'T WANT TO HURT THESE POOR HUMANS WHO WE WERE PLANNING ON GENOCIDING ANYWAYS!"
Think a little bit, huh?
>>
>>91193741
I will do as I please, I watch the show, it's good, but still rather gapped and extremely flawed.

Indeed.
>>
>>91193942
This inconsistency is Dragon Testicles level.
>>
>>91193942
>>This was the catalyst of the war.
It wasn't tho.
>>
File: tumblr_1490991221893.gif (14KB, 252x292px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_1490991221893.gif
14KB, 252x292px

is pearl secretly steven's mother?

is lion really pink diamond?

is steven even a boy?
>>
>>91193469
>ok /sug/ how can we make S3/S4 passable
>Lets cut all the filler
FUCK NO
Those "core" episodes need a lot of fixing
The cluster was a big fucking joke.
>>
>>91193983
What on Earth are you talking about? The war started because Rose rebelled and shattered Pink Diamond. That's pretty much the only concrete thing we know about the war.
>>
>>91193799
The primary issue of the show is its glacial pace. The characters and lore are interesting. If one wanted to expand its universe, it won't be a problem at all. However, Sugar seems intent in keeping the relaxing and sheltered mood versus moving the plot along.

Its not so different from 40k in the pace this show is going.
>>
>>91194004
Rose shatter the diamond in the latter half of the war.
>>
>>91193704
>looks like someone never watched the show
>say main character is a fucking male gem
>gem the gem power are from their mother , the one that is on his stomach.
cmon /sug/ you are better than this
>>
>>91188262

You honestly expected humans to evolve into a whole new race in only 5 thousand years. Do you even know how evolution works, anon?
>>
The war should have taken place 130,000 years not 5,000 years ago.
>>
>>91193995
Adoptive mother.

I haven't seen enough of Lion to really make a judgement on that.

Yes, although there is a chance his genetics are corrupted due to fusing with Connie.
Think about it, Connie became more...masculine, Steven became more empathic and emotional.

Source, now.
>>
>>91194035
Yes. It can be controlled with selective breeding.
>>
>>91194035
Who said anything about evolution?
>>
>massive gem war with alien technology left littered around the world
>not the slightest impact on the world's technology

I mean they could have had earth's technology be gem like or take inspiration from them but nope that would be interesting and good writing!!! Can't have that in SU! More crying and filler!!!!!
>>
>>91194028
Regardless of when the shattering took place, Pink Diamond's court was in/around Korea. Rebellions don't normally leave much time to relocate capitals.
>>
>>91194080
>alien war
>no craters anywhere

What the fuck is this shit?
>>
>>91188262
To be fair, WE call the ball of dirt we live on "earth". Even if you're trying to be a contrarian it's still just called "Terra".
>>
>>91194005
GUILLIMAN HAS RETURNED.
CADIA BLEW UP.
IT'S FASTER THEN SU EVER WAS NOW!
>>
>>91194082
As someone who actually likes Korea and it's history/culture, it's amazing how they didn't expand on anything. It could have been in Japan or Australia or Russia or bumfuck nowhere Alabama and it wouldn't have mattered because he world building is so bad.
>>
It's a children's show. For children.
>>
>>91194112
"Earth? What kind of name for a planet is that? Dirt, planet dirt."
>>
>>91194003

The Cluster was a cool concept, but it got wrapped up just a bit too nicely

I do hope that we revisit it, eventually. Maybe that's part of the endgame. After the Cluster's destruction, maybe the Diamonds see no choice but to invade (yes, I get that there are other ways to destroy a planet and it's population, but maybe Blue is able to pressure the other diamonds into invading rather than glassing Earth).

Maybe Steven will have to heal the Cluster and all the corrupted gems to form a gem army to effectively fight the Homeworld forces
>>
>>91193942
I need more humanized Amy.

For scientific purposes.
>>
>>91194144
>Quick /ug/ he got BTFO beyond recover
>Quick talk about the show is for children yet they show a lot of adolescent plot + gay stuff
>>
>>91194144
Children are more competent then that.
Although children nowadays....
>>
File: 263587263875268.png (1MB, 1892x999px) Image search: [Google]
263587263875268.png
1MB, 1892x999px
>>91194144
Why yes a children's show. For children.
>>
>>91194160
>The Cluster was a cool concept
HURR SMASH 1 BILLION GEMS TO CREATE A GIANT SUPER FUSION DURRR

The Cluster is a fucking stupid idea, it would have been better if the cluster had nothing to do with fusion and was Homeworld's attempt at creating a super gem basically a gigantic gem lifeform who could destroy planets and shit.
>>
>>91194082
Doesn't seem like the gems have things like capitals though. Also, she could've been ambushed with taking a stroll or something.
>>
>>91194117
Don't forget that Fenris has been replaced by THE PLANET OF SORCERERS IN THE MATERIUM!
>>
>>91194213
>creating a super gem basically a gigantic gem lifeform who could destroy planets and shi
Isn't it basically what it is?
>>
>>91194255
But by smashing shit together its looks stupid as fuck.
>>
File: 2563428603486083406.jpg (299KB, 859x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2563428603486083406.jpg
299KB, 859x1200px
>>91194218
We really just don't know enough. My thoughts are, after seeing how Blue Diamond was set up, that they had "Courts" that they chilled in while the worker drones did shit. She may very well have been out and about, despite the protests of her guards, taking in the scenery of Earth before being attacked. That's another problem of the show. We just don't know, and we probably never will. Nothing ever gets explained, and yet the show is praised for its world-building skills. The problem is, no one is really wrong or right here because there's not enough evidence either way.
>>
Honestly i think part of the 'continuity' could be explained by the writers making things so vague that if they wanted to they could write just about anything and it'd make sense within the context of the lore.
>>
>>91194219
Magnus.....
>>
>>91194273
Eh. It serves the same purpose.
>>
>>91194219
And Creed's MIA.
>>
>>91194376
I thought he was with Celestine?
>>
File: Butthurt.jpg (50KB, 450x571px) Image search: [Google]
Butthurt.jpg
50KB, 450x571px
>>91193126
>>
>>91194410
Yeah, butthurt is definitely a leading cause of people complaining about Steven Universe when they don't even watch it.

Most of them are probably mad that SU is popular instead of whatever meme crap they watch.
>>
>>91188262

It's short, sweet, and to the point. What would you have called it?
The gems are a very rigid, structured, and emotionless race, it's very likely their other conquered planets have names like "Planet 783"
The war didn't take place all across the globe, just sections of it. Only a handful of gems remained standing on earth after the war, and they made it a policy not to interfere with human matters.
Earths or Homeworlds? Because Earth is supposed to be a slightly alternate timeline of our Earth, so things are very similar but slightly different, like there being 51 states in America. It's not too hard to believe technology went this way too.
Admittedly, I haven't seen this episode, but unless they were using modern day slang I don't really see the problem. Plus, the point I made above about it being an alternate timeline.
They tried to keep out of human affairs, so they made themselves scarce, helping from the shadows without drawing attention. If anyone did see them, I'm sure no one would believe somebody saying they saw magic technicolor ladies saving everyone.
They usually teleport to places to fight monsters, but the reason they attack Beach City is because that's where their attackers are. It actually seems like most of the monsters in the show are docile until provoked.
>>
Honestly I would rather wait a couple of more months of nothing to get some actual plot episodes than a long series of pointless filler episodes with some little pockets of plot shoved inbetween.

Heck, I would rather watch some flashback episodes about the gem war. It sounds much more interesting than what is happening currently.
>>
File: meht bait.jpg (22KB, 308x302px) Image search: [Google]
meht bait.jpg
22KB, 308x302px
>>91194450
>>
>>91194470
>The war didn't take place all across the globe, just sections of it.

But thats wrong, Its been stated that humans around the world were involved in the war.
>>
>>91188262

Can't argue with that, kinda of about clique really... So point to you on the naming of a city.

Yes and WW2 Germans call Germany the Fatherland and Russians call Russia the Motherland... So whats your point with gems calling the Gem Homeworld the Homeworld? Feels like your just looking for a reason to bitch on this.

Do you even watch this show? Or do you skim through the episodes?

Before Steven was born, before Greg met Rose, It was HEAVILY IMPLIED that the gems had very little to do with humanity, and only rarely engaged with humans under very rare circumstances.

The issues with this statement is, is that most Gem technology can only be used by other Gems. Case in point the warp pads.

Yes and only 5,000 years have passed so they shouldn't be all that different from modern day humans, case in point Americans and some isolated tribes. We still look the same with only a few minor differences, ie height, weight, hair color, skin color, etc.

Again see previous answer with regards to how rarely gems interacted with Humans

Corrupted gems are attracted to other gems, also with out proof most of these monsters probably, after being bubbled faded into folk lore and myth.
>>
My verdict on the show:

Really great concept. Shit up with no real ongoing plot route, certain characters changing drastically so suddenly with no real reason why or follow-up to it, forced gay propaganda, and storyboard designs out of whack.

It's like a person who lives their regular life in a controlled area (read: a suburb) where nothing too drastic or out of the ordinary happens, and just hanging out with your group of socially-outcasted friends.

This is pretty much Rebecca Sugar making a show about her life.

If you can just lower standards enough to expect it to not have any message behind it, and not being special in any way, it's entertaining to watch at times, if just for the concept itself. It just get clogged up with unnecessary filler that derives a little ways off of the main plot.
>>
>>91193164
Salad was their old home planet, which they destroyed themselves or some shit like that.
The planet Vegeta is where Prince/King Vegeta are from, and the planet that Freeza blew up.
>>
>>91194569
A more accurate verdict on Rebecca would be season 1. She's pretty much given up on the show and whatever you see of it now is more of a reflection on her storyboarders. Why do you think the gayness went 110% after Zuke joined in?
>>
>>91189404
>post picture of pearl going trough THE EXACT SAME CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT for the second time
>nice
yeah dude dream on
>>
>>91190202
>Crying due to autism
Just like Steven! :DDDDDDDDDDDDD
>>
>>91194522
>The issues with this statement is, is that most Gem technology can only be used by other Gems. Case in point the warp pads.

But there clearly is tech that can be used, and dismantled by humans.
>>
>>91192192
Greg still lives in a van, despite being a millionaire.

>>91193229
Gems aren't that advanced, save there space ships. They act like barbarians

>>91193419
Liberal history rewriting
>>
>>91194522
Russia and Germany still had names though. You just defeated your point.
>>
>>91193419
>entire new world is off limits
>somehow america isn't made almost exclusively of natives
>>
>>91194807
I dunno about dismantling, but most of the easily accesible tech usable by human would've been looted and hoarded by the CGs a long time ago.
>>
>>91194847
What if the gem monsters killed them all?
>>
>>91194866
But even in the show they were still finding new artifacts.
>>
>>91194870
possible in-universe, impossible metauniverse due to network meddling and the fact that that would cause a major shitstorm if happenned in show
>>
>>91194896
In a lot more remote and inaccesable areas.
>>
>>91194917
Which would have never been explored for thousands of years?
>>
>>91194948
Some of which were practically unreachable for most of that time frame.
>>
>>91194117
Huh. End times indeed.
>>
>>91194985
Never stopped people from exploring ancient ruins before.
>>
>>91195085
Too bad they would've been already looted by the CGs by the time they got there.
>>
>>91195123
except the ones that weren't
>>
>>91195244
Doubt it.
>>
>>91195123
Not that anon but, if the Gems could swim, don't need to breath, and are extremely resistant to pressure, why did they need to wait to get the time travel device?
>>
>>91195283
Why? We've seen there are still places with stuff laying around in the show.
>>
>>91195285
Because the shrine was probably destroyed and apparently had to reform.
>>
>>91195336
I guess humans just didn't find them yet.
>>
>>91189404
S3 had some good episodes but it was definitely when the deterioration of the show started setting in. It's only gotten worse is season 4.
>>
>>91188262
It's not like our planet's name is any more creative.

>>Technology is exactly the same as ours despite having all this advanced shit laying around
Presumably the gem stuff was made using magic, so you couldn't just reverse engineer it.

I mean, they're basically like animals. They generally stay out of people's way. Although I think they have attacked the Crystal Gems unprovoked, so maybe they hate other gems.
>>
File: 21309528528502850285285.png (466KB, 889x980px) Image search: [Google]
21309528528502850285285.png
466KB, 889x980px
Expanding on something an anon brought up earlier about America securing the kindergartens to make gem soldiers. If humanity knew about gems, and saw what they could do, and knowing they left the equipment behind to create MORE of these super warriors, it's a no brainer that they'd want to take these facilities. Whatever country had, and utilized the kindergartens would become a world super power quite quickly with their new reserve of super soldiers. The world's arms race would completely change around creating gem soldiers and securing gem technology. It's an interesting alternate history to think about.
>>
File: 420blazeit.png (59KB, 411x346px) Image search: [Google]
420blazeit.png
59KB, 411x346px
I don't even watch Steven Universe but I love coming into these threads because you people who bitch about this show are so dumb

SO dumb

one of you up there didn't even know how to spell 'sea'

it's fucking comedy gold, every thread.
>>
>>91195603
The thing is just how strong are gems? Based on the show it seems that only corrupted gems are weak af dying from getting stabbed by spears and shit.

Though it seems that gems might be able to take gunfire and explosions quite well with jasper surviving a massive explosion and ruby being completely fine after crashing to earth from atmosphere. It can also be very inconsistent with amethyst and eyeball getting their gems cracked by hitting it on rocks
>>
File: 23852582350285028.png (469KB, 1280x1792px) Image search: [Google]
23852582350285028.png
469KB, 1280x1792px
>>91195733
That's the thing, they're much tougher than humans, and I'm sure if they were susceptible to gunfire their respective government would equip them for that like we equip our soldiers. Imagine being an insurgent terrorist group, holed up in an abandoned building encampment when a quartz soldier crashes through the roof in full body armor and single-handedly rips your squad apart. There would be no reason to not use gems in warfare if the option was there. They're much more durable than we are despite the gem thing. If you shoot a human in the arm, that arm may as well be disabled, shoot a gem in the arm and it can still use that arm.
>>
>>91195455
It is though.
>>
>>91195603

Why would the Gems obey humans?
>>
>>91195925
They seem to be programed to fulfill tasks. Peridots probably oversee that. Change the programming to make humans akin to the diamonds.
>>
>>91195925
They probably would if they were raised to be that way. Amethyst is way less adverse to humans than Pearl or Garnet.
>>
Samurai Jack's worldbuilding is kinda shit, the entire world is so uncreative it hurts

most the characters are either stereotypes of different ethnics or parodies of already existing characters
>>
>>91195873
>Earth
>literally just refers to the ground
It's a shit tier name, especially when all the other planets in the solar system are named after cool deities.
>>
>>91196071
Samurai Jack isn't Le dep lore show though
>>
>>91196071
this is very true
>>
File: 1490640152533.jpg (276KB, 548x546px) Image search: [Google]
1490640152533.jpg
276KB, 548x546px
I think the setting would make a lot more sense if it was slightly dystopic (severe lack of knowledge to the vast bulk of society) or post apocalyptic (remnants of modern civilization persist but it gets lumped together with the gem stuff so people are none the wiser, society reverts to mostly agrarian small towns with sporadic industrial remnants) or alltogether just a built from the ground up fantasy anime bullshit world like some of the final fantasy where, yeah, fuck it, magic and technology coexist.

I'm just spitballing, but it seems like they wanted to have their cake and eat it too, and didn't really put in the time for worldbuilding. Which is to say, they don't have episodes that double as some literal physical exploration of the world and society that hasnt been seen before. Compare it to, I don't know, cowboy bebop. Every other episode they pretty much establish something new and important about the galaxy they live in while using that specific setting to tell a specific kind of story. In steven universe they pretty much just go somewhere as if it was some level in a videogame you're not supposed to think about too hard.

The frustrating thing is they actually did do good worldbuilding at first by establishing places and using them as a set piece for a story whIle also expanding the scope of the world. But like, the episode where they go to the city establishes nothing about that setting, it's just a city. Meanwhile, the second episode, where steven and the gems go to his first mission at some abandoned temple, it establishes gem locations as ancient and abandoned.

It seems like they might have just changed the staff for the worse, to be honest. Maybe the writing/boarding team is too comfortable with what they have now that they've established the basics of the show, so they don't feel inclined to develop further, and so repeat themselves.

At this point the show should probably go through some status quo change so they can begin developing stuff again.
>>
>>91196119
This.

90% of the lore and environment in SJ is there because it looks cool and leads to cool things. The whole point of the show is to be stylish and neat to watch.
>>
>>91196071
This >>91196119. The setting is just supposed to be one of those you can put whatever you feel like making a story about in it.
>>
>>91196100
Read more Greek mythology, fag
>>
>>91196172
What are you on about, mate?
>>
>>91195979

Because Amethyst was a new gem when Rose took her, and Rose likes humans.

Pearl and Garnet were not. Rose wasn't their "mom" in the same way she was to Amethyst.
>>
File: the-parts-of-the-earth-1-638.jpg (57KB, 638x479px) Image search: [Google]
the-parts-of-the-earth-1-638.jpg
57KB, 638x479px
>>91192960
Yes they fucking do, Jules Verne
>>
>>91195661
>Is too stupid to even contribute to the thread.
>Posts anyway.
Ftfy.
>>
>>91196401
That's what I was saying. If humans created a bunch of Amethyst but raised them as humans I don't think they'd defect. Especially since they're not that smart to begin with.
>>
>>91189772
>The two greatest conflicts of the Earth never happened in the oh so magical and colorful world that is Steven Universe
>Rose probably convinced the Serbian Assassin who was supposed to kill Archduke Ferdinand not to kill him because sanctity of life reasons
>And maybe Rose also convinced the Archduke not to sew himself shut in his suit
>Rose probably also convinced Hitler to git gud in art, in which Hitler becomes a successful painter
>And that portrait of Rose is most likely a Hitler original for all we know
>And because WW2 never happened for whatever whimsical and cartoony reason that only CalArts cartoons preach about. Heinrich Himmler probably became a successful chicken farmer which resulted in "Himmler Farms" branded poultry.
>Goerring just became an air marshal for a civilian airline and is not a fatass ogre
>And Goebbels is probably a "good type" of propaganda minister who promotes cuddly progressiveness and Joe Goebby is not some skinny skeletor
>>
>>91189207
At least state why
>>
>>91197650
My morality says this is better, my logic says this is far worse for humanity in the long run.
Lives or technological advancement?
>>
>>91197650
I wonder what the political ties between America and Europe are with this problem being considered....
>>
>>91197785
its not just about technological advancements, ww1 and ww2 changed society's whole outlook on war so much to the point where we've established IGOs like NATO and EU. On top of that ww2 changed the world's attitude towards racism.
>>
>>91197929
>On top of that ww2 changed the world's attitude towards racism.
What racism? Oh you mean the racism towards jews that was perfectly fine given their track record in Europe over the centuries?
>>
>>91198002
lets not start anon :^(
>>
Let's just all agree that not including the world wars and then not explaining how they have all the technology they have based on stuff made in and for the wars is kinda dumb.
>>
>>91198093
Agreed, anon.
>>
>>91197650
>Heinrich Himmler probably became a successful chicken farmer which resulted in "Himmler Farms" branded poultry.

I don't get this KFC joke, whats chickens have to do with Himmler?
>>
>>91198093
Id like Sucrose to explain the state of blacks since they would have no electronic technology without colonialism in their lands. Not racism this is the truth blacks were basically in the early Bronze Age(at their most advanced) compared to the rest of humanity in 1200 A.D while the ancestors of black americans were in the stone age with nothing remotely resembling civilized technology.

So without colonialism the black part of Africa would remain an untamed gigantic wilderness with a few kingdoms that had hellish living conditions for its peasants and psychotic monarchs.

Plz explain this now.
>>
>>91197819
Because SU's lore and worldbuilding is shit I'm just gonna guess America would never be called the USA, but the "Sovereign Colonial States"

And parts of Europe is still monarchy. And those monarchs will be depicted in bein gud compared to the backwards and racist US.

Am I being hyperbolic? Yes, but hey it wouldn't be far fetched considering how this show can have SJ undertones.
>>
>>91198240
Maybe to avoid all that triggering racism, they can just simply wave off that the colonialisms that happened is all rainbows, unicorns and sunshine sparkles.

The European Colonists all treated in tribals well and the all lived peacefully side by side to make a new civilization.
>>
>>91198253
I missed the samurai jack undertones myself
>>
>>91198361
Dammit mang, I meant SOCIAL JUSTICE undertones that SU likely has.
>>
>>91198253
So Europe in SU is also nothing but monarchies and no republic also meaning there are barely any republics anywhere meaning that Japan is still a dynasty country along with Korea.
>>
I'm confused. In which episode was it confirmed there weren't any World Wars?
>>
>>91198625
No such episode.
Matt confirmed it, and the holidays nonexistence thing.
>>
>>91198718
Doesn't Matt usually talk out of his ass?
>>
>>91198743
Usually, but no one else took up this topic.
Regardless, the problems are still present.
>>
>>91198432
why isnt it allowed to have the undertones that made it a smashing it?
>>
>>91198820
>A smashing it

the fuck
>>
>>91198862
I think he meant a "smash hit"
>>
I'll admit parts of the world building are bad but you can't criticize city names.
There's a city named New York City because it's a city in New York.
I have a mate who lives in a town called Forestville. FORESTVILLE.
The fruit called an orange is named that because of its color (yes the color came first)
Humans are bad at naming things, who would have thought?
>>
One question, where is Dewey's wife?
>>
>>91199046
Where's anyone's wife?
>>
>>91189207
>>91189228
yeah come on man
>>
>>91189207
Was.. WAS...
>>
>>91193132
Capeshit is meant to be camp. What's SU's excuse?
>>
>>91200311
I've heard the term capeshit used a lot on this site. Is it just meant to generally refer to superhero comics?
>>
>>91193082
That at least has a viable in-universe explanation. Saiyan's are egotistical pricks, so of course their leader would name a planet and his son after himself.
>>
>>91200585
Yes, usually anything from DC or Marvel. It's not necessarily a derogatory name. It's like -fag as a suffix here.
>>
File: Bustup_14_01.png (101KB, 960x560px) Image search: [Google]
Bustup_14_01.png
101KB, 960x560px
>>91188262
>>91189598
>Christmas and Halloween flat out don't exist

>>91189772
>WW2 never happened

Why? What's even the point? What does it even add?
>>
>>91189228
But that's not Amethyst
>>
>>91200744
>Why? What's even the point? What does it even add?
>He doesn't know about fucking history that changed the world.
>>91197929
>>
>>91201029
Think anon was asking what removing WW1/2 and both Halloween and Christmas adds to the show.
>>
>>91201082
Oh, I'm not sure about WW1 not being in SU though.
A very large backlash towards commercialism would happen, automatically by removing said holidays.
>>
>>91188744
MLP's worldbulding is the definition of wasted potential.

You have this huge fantasy world full of monsters, where the dominant species is split into people who can fly, people who can cast magic, and people who can connect with nature. They are ruled by two superpowered beings who embody all three aspects plus the power of a fundamental attribute of nature.

Beyond that you have sentient minotaurs, griffins, spirits of pure chaos with near godlike power, magic draining demon centaurs, and a supergod tree that keeps the world in balance.

While I have no problem with focusing on the characters in this world, you can't just make this interesting setting and then do so little with it other than have it prop up the slice of life stuff and introduce new obstacles out of the blue just to forget them later.

To be honest it's only propped up by the Slice of Life stuff not being bad at all, something that SU can't really hold a candle to. Did anyone give a shit about Pizza vs Burgers or whatever that one episode was about? I certainly didn't.
>>
I kind of understand the point of the name for Homeworld.
Gems need, by default, to invade other planets. At first they probably had a normal, probably not very creative name for their homeworld.
I also assume the first couple of centuries they gave actual names to the planets, but eventually It would only make sense to eventually start caring about names altogether, just E-22145-IRON, and maybe even putting HOMEWORLD instead of the actual name in all formal documents, for organization sake.
After millenia, eventual deaths, and changes in the structure, it stuck.

It will happen to "Earth" once we start colonizing the solar system. Some Saturn colony language will have another name for earth, and that one will eventually stick.
>>
>>91201516
Holy shit, an actually interesting explanation for the name.
>>
File: 1443390700592.jpg (401KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1443390700592.jpg
401KB, 1280x1280px
Just start posting Stevonnie, I'm low.
>>
>>91201326
MLP is literally a show for pre-schoolers. What were you expecting? It's amazing it's able to get away with so much as is.
>>
>>91192651
How the fuck would they detect it, you brainlet?
>>
>>91192651
>"Sir, we have detected something in the core of the planet"
>"What, rocks?"
>"...yes"
The cluster could be floating absolutely anywhere in the mantle and it would be dismissed as a floating rock, a calibration error, or whatever other theory before "a massive amount of shattered alien gem shards that will eventually gain enough power to manifest a solid light physical form and destroy the earth form the inside".
Really now, the show has more flaws than episodes, but this really isnt one of them
>>
>>91195976
>Change the programming to make humans akin to the diamonds.

The programming isn't infallible, though, as evidenced by the rebellion that Rose Quartz instigated.

Which means that, eventually, you're going to have your Gem soldiers rebel against humanity. And since humans aren't nearly as tough as Gems... well. How do you think that's going to end?
>>
>>91201326
Well that's not fair, MLP does good for what it is.
>>
>>91201833
>>
>>91203186
You are really stupid
>>
>>91197650
Hitler was a huge Pearlfag and therefore decided not to go after the Jews dude

Eventually he got into a big fight with Eva because he wanted her to wear the dress and his life began to fall apart
>>
File: 1442509317983.jpg (23KB, 274x292px) Image search: [Google]
1442509317983.jpg
23KB, 274x292px
>>91204330
And you probably have a middle school tier idea of how we scan the inner layers of the earth.
That, or you dont know what youre talking about at all and think you can just "lmao just science it dude".
>>
>>91191397
Convergent Evolution
>>
>>91191471
>I know you are just trying to make a point but they used to explain it as an ancient inter-galactic empire abducted humans for use as slaves and ended up distributing them throughout the SW galaxy.
I thought the one unspoken rule of Star Wars was to never ever involve Earth in the story.
>>
>>91192242
>>91193767
>>91194820

Like >>91192449 said, Greg doesn't actually want anything. He's got his son, he's got his car wash and he's got his van, and all he wants to do is hang out with Steven and jam on his guitars. What would he buy?
>>
File: the perfume department.gif (2MB, 500x343px) Image search: [Google]
the perfume department.gif
2MB, 500x343px
>>91191471
>I just want some MIB, or XCOM, pop up and say some shit. When an alien ship fucking explodes on a city and the government doesn't show up you're really stretching the suspension of disbelief.

THANK YOU. This is exactly what I was thinking. Personally, I'd love it if they introduce some MIB kind of organization that's actually competent and might actually pose a threat to the Crystal Gems.

So far the series has presented human beings as these idiotic, incompetent dopes and It'd be so satisfying to introduce characters that are the exact opposite. Maybe said MIB organization can be enemies that believe the Crystal Gems pose a threat to Earth and try to destroy them with their anti-Gem weaponry that is so advanced that not even The Crystal Gems understand it. I also want Pearl to suck it for what she said in Keep Beach City Weird.

I also want to see some actual aliens that aren't the Gems to expand the universe a bit. Like aliens that are sour about their planets being destroyed and are vengeful towards the Gems.
>>
>>91190617
I know this is like a million years late but AT's lore is vastly superior just by the fact that they haven't fucked it up like SU's has. It's still mostly in the background as an excuse for the characters to be in an interesting world while SU puts it at the forefront so its retardedness sticks out even more.
>>
>>91190617
>Tolkienesque

You mean filling the world with a bunch of extraneous details that don't really add to the big picture or improve the flow of the story? I guess so, but unlike Tolkien, I don't think Sugar and co. are trying to emulate ancient myths and other such stories.

>>91207063
That sounds incredibly cliche, but it'd at least provide some conflict outside of Homeworld.
>>
>>91200797
but Amethyst know how do have sex tho
>>
>>91192550
>SU fans getting this mad
You can't even explain why you even like the show. Seriously, what's the appeal?
>>
>>91207423
Would you REALLY want to sex with an annoying fat fuck?
>>
>>91207540
fuck off retard
>>
File: 1443143251905.png (64KB, 307x520px) Image search: [Google]
1443143251905.png
64KB, 307x520px
>>91191471
To be fair, most governments probably know of the CG and just agreed to keep it a secret.
Homeworld probably has the technology to wipe all life from orbit. Hell, they probably have millions of lapislazulis, and a single one of them could take the ocean and move it to outer space in less than a day. Fuse 20 and earth has no chance at all.
Same with peridots bending metal and turning tanks into paperweights, or dropping a couple of building-sized rubies on each major city.
Battling against almost immortal magical aliens isnt really fair on humanity; a fair and diplomatic secrecy pact with the CG is the best for both. Active censorship and obscurity on Beach City and the gems in exchange of worldwide protection from aliens.

Now,
>Jasper gets her ass kicked by human-gem fusion
>"fuck lore" and implants gem shards onto clinically insane criminals, junkies and other humans that lost their minds
>mindless fusion abominations that live in constant pain
>special anti-gem unit and CG team up to stop Jasper and her reject army
That'd be pretty neat I think. Its a children show tho.
>>
>>91207688
>Being this salty someone doesn't like your favorite cartoon
>>
File: 1485807288886.jpg (111KB, 479x678px) Image search: [Google]
1485807288886.jpg
111KB, 479x678px
>>91189207
>>
File: Diamond_murals.png (308KB, 1280x544px) Image search: [Google]
Diamond_murals.png
308KB, 1280x544px
>>91207765
I doubt the gems have that many Lapis considering we've seen two at most. Hell I'd be seriously surprised if their total population is even a million. Those kindergartens looked like they could produce a couple thousand at most and if they are indicative of a typical kindergarten then I'd doubt you'd get more than 10k or so from a single planet. Also remember more powerful gems require more resources.
>>
File: White Diamond.jpg (78KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
White Diamond.jpg
78KB, 900x506px
>>91208511
>White Diamond took over thirteen fucking planets

I really hope they don't fuck up her reveal like they did to Yellow Diamond. I want a legit, opposing villain that can blow up entire galaxies without hesitation if provoked.

I want her to be the most powerful thing we've ever seen from this show. Having access to the strongest and rarest types of Gems that no other Diamond has or some secret Death Star-ish weapon. Anything that will actually make me feel something out of her that isn't disappointment.
>>
Blame Sugar if you will, but the show will never be what we want. Open Book made that pretty clear. Steven will get his happy ending while we barely scratch all the potential world building
>>
>>91188262

As if "Earth" is that imaginative a name...
>>
>>91208739
>I really hope they don't fuck up her reveal like they did to Yellow Diamond. I want a legit, opposing villain that can blow up entire galaxies without hesitation if provoked.
>I want her to be the most powerful thing we've ever seen from this show.
Fucking this, and then some. I want a threat utterly deserving of the complete radio silence we've had for 4 seasons, I mean really - we don't know a goddamned thing about her or her subjects.
>>
>>91208807
That really sucks because Greg has the money to buy a flight to anywhere in the world.

Why can't it try and take the story to another location outside Beach City? And no. Watermelon Island doesn't count. A city. A town. A fucking land populated by more than 40 people.
>>
>>91209215
What about Empire City?
>>
>>91208807
there's gonna be so much rage with the series finale
>>
>>91209102
It actually is.
>>
Cartoons generally have very little worldbuilding, which is probably for the best because they give you enough information that you can fill in the blanks yourself without making the world utterly retarded.

Meanwhile works like Star Wars and ASoIaF have dozens of times more worldbuilding than your typical book or movie but that also means that they're dozens of times more retarded than any other work out there.
>>
That dresden codak webcomic
>>
I've found that with a lot of these shows that have super autistic fanbases that will spill blood for their favorite series of drawn lines they're all really similar. But I don't know in what way. Thoughts?
>>
Can you fuck a gem?
>>
>>91196119
This definitely sounds like a copout, but you could argue that the lack of worldbuilding is part of the charm. Not knowing or understanding anything about this endless, otherworldly environment helps you to experience the same strangeness of it that Jack does.
>>
File: 1490242087119.gif (454KB, 350x300px) Image search: [Google]
1490242087119.gif
454KB, 350x300px
This fucking thread is still up?
>>
File: the-plot-thickens.jpg (16KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
the-plot-thickens.jpg
16KB, 500x500px
>>91189079
>>91191471
>magical life force
They suck out the important minerals and elements out of the ground. If for example 100% of molybdenum would be harvested no higher organism could life there. And that was an element you never heared about. What do you think happens if they also use magnesium, zinc and so on?
Why do you think there was such a sharp cut around the kindergarten? In a soil without trace elements absolutly nothing would would grow.
>>
My headcanon Aku doesn't give a shit about earth. Basically it's like russia. Big rich multi culti capital city, and everything else is literally ruins and people struggling to survive.
>>
>>91209970
Yeah, planet Dirt.
>>
>>91193410
That's nothing but aesthetics if the only effects the massive geographical and historical changes have on society is that some of the United States have different names
>>
File: hqdefault (1).jpg (7KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (1).jpg
7KB, 480x360px
>>91197650
>I BLAME FEGELEIN FOR THESE MAGIC TALKING LESBIAN ROCKS! GOT OUT THERE AND ELIMINATE THOSE GEMS AND FEGELEIN!
>FEGELEIN!
>FEGELEIN!!!
>>
>>91188262
I only watched the first 1.5 seasons, but I really enjoyed how they kept you in the dark and revealed things like the monsters being corrupted gems bit by bit. It made the show give off a sense of wonder that you don't get too often these days.

But then they shat all over the bed with inconsistencies, poor plot developments, and went way too overboard with soap boxing the creator's ideologies. made me go from loving it to dropping the show half way through season 2
>>
File: 1489852704700.png (159KB, 248x397px) Image search: [Google]
1489852704700.png
159KB, 248x397px
>>91213518
I know that feel, but I haven't managed to let it go just yet
>>
>>91195603
Isn't the reason rose fought against home world was because using the kindergartens would literally kill off all life on earth?
Just saying
>>
>>91207765
>Battling against almost immortal magical aliens isnt really fair on humanity
You can poof gems. It is not hard. Bullets can do the jobs.
>>
File: police interceptor.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
police interceptor.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>91188262
Might I ask or wonder why Beach City never, NEVER seems to have any emergency response services? Beach City does not appear to have a police station, a fire department or even a hospital.

>but anon its 'cause Beach City is a tourist town and that Beach City is called a city for humor

Yeah but even if Beach City is meant to be an insignificant little town where a dozen or so permanent residents living there, Beach City has an amusement park. And amusement parks can have accidents, both minor and extremely severe.

Why does Beach City appear to not have a hospital, hell not even a goddamn medical center or even a dinky-ass clinic. And as we've seen in an episode, Connie's Mom works in a hospital, but said hospital appears to be fucking MANY MILES away from Beach City.

Also I wana emphasis on how and why does Beach City not have any law enforcement, not even cops from another distant town doing any patrols.

If Beach City apparently does not have any form of nearby law enforcement, I'd say Beach City is vulnerable to crime and worse case scenario. Beach City would be an easy score and target for a group of heavily armed and dangerous criminals packing automatic assault weapons looking to make a quick buck by robbing all the retail venues in town at gunpoint and then quickly running off.

And worse, the gems might not be around because they may have been on a mission of sorts. Hell if that happens, said group of armed criminals would have practically pulled of a heist; robbing an entire town virtually dry all because of a lack of law enforcement or emergency response. Especially if Beach City's pastel colored lesbians who protect them are not around at that time.
>>
>>91189207
No it ain't. The only base left is creepshows and lonely lesbians.
>>
File: Dilettante2-GTAV-front.png (3MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Dilettante2-GTAV-front.png
3MB, 2560x1440px
>>91215094
>Cops appear in SU in which the respond to a situation where a gem-related monster attacks the town
>the cops do not have guns or weapons, not even nightsticks or batons
>just show up holding handcuffs and be completely stupid even for cartoon standards its almost unbearable
>they'd be wearing those stupid shorts
>and their car/police cruiser won't be a traditional Ford Crown Victoria, it will be a Toyota Prius or any liberal friendly car
>>
>>91188262
>world building
>world is the fucking same apart from context less decorations
You can't just put a hole in Russia and call it a new world. There has to be some depth.
IF THE WORLD IS THE SAME IT'S NOT WORLD BUILDING IT'S JUST
L O R E
O
R
E
>>
>>91215212
I not would like to think there'd be a Russian version of Steven Universe...

And it might be alot better in story, characters, plot development, character development. And zero focus on shoe horned social justice lessons and lesbians.
>>
>CIS scum caring about stupid inconsequential shit like world building instead of gender politics

ugh
>>
>>91197650
>>91213280
>>91189772

>No more ranting Hitler and his pencil of doom?
>No more dumb Giant Gunshe?
>No more Jodl objecting your plans?
>No more drunken boozing Burgdorf?
>No more map-pointing-fish-loving Krebs?
>No more antics and prank master Fegelein?
>No more antics and pranking Himmler?
>No more fatass eating everything Goring?
>No skeletor-skinny-ass Goebells?

What a truly grimdark future.
>>
File: Consider the following.png (59KB, 415x510px) Image search: [Google]
Consider the following.png
59KB, 415x510px
>>91197650
WWII was a tragic moment in humanity but it also was one of the biggest turning points. A world like today wouldn't exists if a huge war wouldn't forced everyone to kick it into high gear.
There wouldn't be any videogames, or phones, or internet or any amenites that Steven has hedonistically enjoyed all his life.
>hurr we would have done it anyways
no, you wouldn't. all of that stems from decades of military research and appliances and all of it is quickened by war.
>>
>>91189772
Race relationships should actually be behind because of lack of involvement of minorities in a war effort.
>>
File: 1484071178185.jpg (212KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1484071178185.jpg
212KB, 1280x720px
The worldbuilding in ATLA is meticulous, really good stuff. Even little details like the gaang subtly picking up bending tricks, like Zuko using airbender movements without it ever being explicitly brought up, and whatnot.

Steven Universe still has top tier worldbuilding. Few shows have as much attention to detail as SU.
>>
>>91188262
really you are right

this is the most weak aspect of Steven Universe, bothers me a lot.

but anyway; Steven Universe is the best en everything else and is my favorite show. I love SU
>>
>>91215555
>Steven Universe still has top tier worldbuilding. Few shows have as much attention to detail as SU.

?
>>
>>91188262
Goddamn are you ever stupid, anon.

Like...wow.
>>
Samurai Jack
Though that was never the point.
>>
>>91212208
I know right?
>>
>>91215920
You don't speak English, son? Maybe /int/'s more to your speed, heard there's plenty shitskins there.
>>
>>91218935
Fuck off /pol/
>>
>>91198253

Except that we actually do have proof that the United States is the United States in the show; the money is marked "United States of America"
>>
File: IMG_3608.jpg (185KB, 2048x1341px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3608.jpg
185KB, 2048x1341px
This is probably worth noting, and makes me think that the geopolitics of this world might actually get addressed in some form at some point

This post was made after the world map was revealed in "It Could Have Been Great", by the way
>>
>>91219777
>OK KO will prevent SU from having any form of worldbuilding.
Well, shit.
>>
>>91219980

FUCK

Sugar better have kept his notes
>>
File: vlcsnap-2014-02-17-21h10m04s47.png (653KB, 900x520px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2014-02-17-21h10m04s47.png
653KB, 900x520px
>>91220250
>>91219777
the idea that Ian was literally the only person in the crew to care about the world building is making me anxious
>>
>>91191471
That would be a good twist. The reason no one talks shit about aliens is because of an ancient order of alien hunters that existed since the crusades! And of coursr, they reverse engineered some of that.

Pearl did talk about knights after all. And the gems do not have an equivalent.
>>
>>91220792
....Forever Knights?
>>
>>91220632
>The man is the only human who cares about making the show developed

You literally cant make this shit up.
>>
>>91220947
Shut up and enjoy your townie episodes faggot!
>>
File: 1490371187443.png (184KB, 309x464px) Image search: [Google]
1490371187443.png
184KB, 309x464px
>>91198167
He was a legitimate Chicken farmer before he joined NSDAP

I thought that was common knowledge

Get a hold of yourself man
>>
>>91190088
I think they lifted a few locations from spots along the boardwalk.
>>
File: IMG_0004.jpg (228KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0004.jpg
228KB, 1280x960px
>Shows with bad world building
I gotcha senpei
>>
File: DELET.jpg (46KB, 736x678px) Image search: [Google]
DELET.jpg
46KB, 736x678px
>>91222004
DELET THIS
>>
File: 500px-Harkness_Test.png (109KB, 500x663px) Image search: [Google]
500px-Harkness_Test.png
109KB, 500x663px
>>91207638
Hm...
>>
>>91190088
Jesus, I would not want to live there in 50 years.
>>
>>91220632
Is that fake or photoshopped? Or is it actually a real thing in an episode?

If it's real then:

>the symbolic animal of America in Steven Universe is not the mighty eagle representing vigilance, freedom, justice and omnipotence
>but a slimy ass snake
>unless that snake is a reference to the Gadsden Flag, then:
>REEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!
>>
>>91188262

Don't forget the "SU takes place in a non-abrahamic world" meaning Christianity, Judaism, and Islam aren't a thing.

So, that means the Dark Ages never happened. The whole world should be just a super advanced Roman Empire.
>>
>>91189404
I thought Pearl's clingy obsession with Rose is already done and settled with and that she finally let go of being clingy to the past about Rose? Why the hell did she decide to go all mopey and again and be like, >"I miss much Rose so much!" All over again?

Also Pearl has shit taste in women if she and the gems are literal lesbians. That mystery woman for all I care is just another looking "Original Character" design that tumblr would have just pulled out of their asses.

>ambitious skin pigmentations
>is "not fat but not skinny"
>and has bad haircut with hair color

And I can't believe people, especially in tumblr, say she's hot. Such shit taste in women.
>>
>>91223577
>Implying the world would advance without the renaissance.

>>91223440
Sneople.
>>
File: Funland-Rehoboth-Beach-DE-01.png (415KB, 594x491px) Image search: [Google]
Funland-Rehoboth-Beach-DE-01.png
415KB, 594x491px
>>91221878
There's actually some smaller resort towns about a half hour up from Ocean City that more closely resemble Beach City, like Rehoboth and Dewey Beach. Pic related is a photo from Rehoboth's boardwalk and was probably the influence for that whole sniper Steven scene in Shirt Club.
>>
>>91221878
It takes elements from a bunch of random boardwalk towns, but it's mostly just a smalltown version of Rehobooth Beach. They even have a real amusement park called Funland there.
>>
>>91223577
Advanced Roman Empire? And I guess we find out that The Roman Empire did still exist and never really dissolved and it had a big renaming. And that Roman Empire are the only smart people in SU to explore and archeology ancient and old Gem tech and shit, they are technologically advanced compared to almost everyone on Earth, they have power armor and advanced high damage weapons.

And their emperor/empress sits on a magic gem chair that gives him eternal life and youth.
>>
Regarding all the questions about the history revisionism, this is my take on it: I feel like the SU world has intentionally created an alternate humanity for the sole purpose of making them into messiahs. Let's be like the humans, the humans are so great, Rose loved the humans, let's protect the precious humans. But that's hard to do when you consider shit like Hitler and people WILL consider shit like Hitler. Suddenly humans seem like less of a messiah. So Hitler was vetoed out of the Gem History, along with other 'uncomfortable' countries and beliefs.

It's almost like Sugar created her own fake humanity for the sole purpose of putting them up on a pillar, but foresaw that people would be like "BUT WHAT ABOUT HITLER" so she wrote Hitler out of the universe. She fucked herself by trying to protect herself.
>>
>>91188309
>>91188262

>Beach City is always empty, main Street is full of restaurants but only one client: Steve
>No other kids outside of Connie and Onion, are there schools in Beach City?
>>
File: the life of a monk.png (175KB, 1251x585px) Image search: [Google]
the life of a monk.png
175KB, 1251x585px
>>91223577
>le Christian Dark Ages
I personally blame Family Guy for instilling and spreading that shitty meme. Christianity had very little, if anything, to do with the fall of Rome and the rise of the Germanic Kingdoms. The Roman Empire following pax-romanum was a decayed and rotten institution destroyed by the very drive that created it.

The economy for the longest time was driven by loot attained during Rome's outward expansion, not unlike the Nazis who had to keep their own economy from collapsing by looting and plundering their occupied countries. To make matters even worse? The Romans usually left the new provinces to their own devices and gave them a lot of leeway when it came to taxes, in fact the Empire could only reliably get taxes from the Italian peninsula.

With the tax system broken, more and more tax cuts were made to aspects of the administration seen as irrelevant. Eerily similar to what's happening to the modern educational system. Which led to institutions like the Library of Alexandria (which despite the moaning of fedoras, was fairly insignificant, and not a whole lot was lost) losing their governmental support thus forcing them to close. Then the situation got really bad when the economy ran out of money to pay for the Legions, which in turn forced the Romans to start inviting in German barbarians to fend off others of their own kind (sound familiar? Rapefugees and debt anyone?).

Not helped by the whole sleu of Civil Wars, slavery driving out the working class (sound familiar?), disease, shit leadership, and the Jewish merchants.
>>
>>91224247
That doesn't work because there is zero illusion that anyone in the show is perfect, let alone the whole human race. She admired them because of their capacity to change, nothing to do with "goodness".
>>
>>91224253
Of course Beach City likely doesn't have a school if it doesn't have a police department, fire department or even a nearby hospital.

also no, there are other kids, Pewey and that black girl who's with the Pizza family.
>>
>>91193942
No lie, that human Amy is fucking adorable. I would solve all the mysteries with her.
>>
>>91224247
And that there is how you shouldn't rewrite history in terms of making an alternate Earth. You cannot erase the idea of war, conflicts, violence and bad people doing bad things for their own reasons or politically related ones.

It just makes the alternate earth or world you're making unbelievable and something only very little children would write.

Not tome tips one of the show's characters even mentions there were wars in SU's earth.
>>
OMG THIS THREAD IS STILL GOING?
>>
>>91224247
>>91224321
Well someone did say she had the capacity to find good in everything (I think) no matter how gross. So the wars and the Hitlers of humanity would strengthen that message that despite how awful humans can be there's good in humanity and everything…

Way to miss an excellent opportunity to reinforce that message, Sucrose…

I think the main reason why she wanted to do that was to not step on anyone's toes and not to offend anyone so that the show can go to any demographic without (a majority of people) criticizing it.

But then again they have lesbians and other controversial stuff so…yeah. I really don't know anymore.
>>
Atla had good world building Korra did not
>>
>>91194642
See now thats world building
>>
>>91193126
tumblr pls end yourself
>>
What show actually has impressive worldbuilding?
Hard mode: It must still be on TV, and not cancelled.
>>
>>91226597
Dragon Ball Super
>>
That retard Fructose should have left the Earth's geography intact, she created a clusterfuck of WHAT HAPPENS IF by changing the very geography of the planet.

For example Brazil would be a fucking desert with that extra land blocking off air from the Atlantic Ocean.

That hole in Russia would make Siberia warmer and more habitable.

The chunked Africa would be a rainforest not desert because it would no longer be dry.
>>
>>91226597
>>
>>91204440

>he thinks that gemstones could exist in the mantle/core of the earth

It's literally molten metal except for the core, and the only reason the core is solid is the immense pressure. There are no rocks in the center of the earth. You don't just have "floating rocks" in the goddamn mantle.
>>
>>91189207
this animation is so bad
>>
>>91193337
>pedestal
By who? The fans? Every fandom has crazy hardcore rabid fans that immediately defend it, especially fans of children cartoons like MLP, The loud house, Adventure time, regular show, and SU. They feel like something they're doing is viewed as socially incorrect and that makes them different, weird, they embrace it and make it a big part of their identity because their fandom accepts them, when the rest of the world might not.

Outside of it, no one is putting it on a pedestal. Minus places like Tumblr which caters specifically to fandoms, and also suffer from the world view of above. Reddit is a place where like minded people usually share in a community.

On 4chan threads for /su/ was only limited to when theres news, and thats only because the mods got tired of banning them, /sug/ is forced to go to /trash/ where it shows how degenerate the rabid fans actually are, obviously if it was on a pedestal in /co/, then /sug/ wouldn't be banned.

If it was such a big show, it'd get new episodes weekly, not the weak seasons it has now.
>>
>>91224275
Nah FG is just a symptom of the meme. It existed long before and was popular among baby first atheism.
>>
>>91193052
Ex-Brony here to report on what happened. Essentially, the show went from a Toy Show with creativity to a Toy Show that wanted more money. There are still some nice episodes, but watching any of them more than once makes me feel gross inside.

BTW, I wish /mlpol/ was permanent, it was surprisingly nice.
>>
>>91208739
>>91209143
>I have hyped myself up out the ass, and want to be satisfied, because my own emotional temper tantrums deserve satisfaction
>>
>>91231165
yes that's/co/ you think they'd learn but nope.
>>
>>91231068
>I wish /mlpol/ was permanent, it was surprisingly nice
tada!
>>>/mlpol/
>>
>>91192118
>>91191888
>>91189549
>>91189458

What the actual fuck. This episode was way more than them
>going to a hotel onlt ot sing

Are there actual children on this board that think nothing is happening if shit isn't blowing up or characters hitting each other????????
>>
File: SjQclIQ.jpg (311KB, 846x1024px) Image search: [Google]
SjQclIQ.jpg
311KB, 846x1024px
>>
File: flourite.png (12KB, 504x678px) Image search: [Google]
flourite.png
12KB, 504x678px
>>91188262
i'm not really sure, but I feel all of these problems have to do with some original lack of direction.

s1 was basically just an "adventure of the day" type cartoon without much in terms of overarching story, kind of like adventure time where anything could happen and it didn't really matter that it made no sense. the only important thing was that the show was funny.

however, these things DID become problems when the later seasons, especially 3/4, started being really story-focused and the whole universe they built now had to make sense and be somewhat logical. Now that we're trying to establish logic, the previously fun name "beach city" becomes stupid. finding out that the gem war has been going on forever doesn't make any sense with how the people on earth were established in the early seasons. we as viewers start asking questions like "where's the human armies that should be all over this shit" and "why aren't there government investigators all over the kindergarten" and shit like that.

I dunno, this is what I think could be the problem, at least. feel free to disagree.
>>
>>91232399
The fags here apparently like to skim the show just so they can shitpost about how le bad it is.
>>
>>91226597
Samurai Jack (kind of)
>>
File: 1491180681555.jpg (6KB, 184x252px) Image search: [Google]
1491180681555.jpg
6KB, 184x252px
When will this thread die?
Thread posts: 443
Thread images: 78

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.