[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does one proceed with making a comic-accurate costume look

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 5665786-2007825448-56626.png (106KB, 242x390px) Image search: [Google]
5665786-2007825448-56626.png
106KB, 242x390px
How does one proceed with making a comic-accurate costume look good on TV/movies without making it look totally ridiculous or shit?
>>
Black Lightning's costume could be less bulky, and throw away the mask.
>>
We can debate certain details, but Spider-Man costumes usually look right.

Shit shouldn't be hard.
>>
I like this outfit. The subtle V is great
>>
Stop making every costume desaturated leather, for starters. there are plenty of materials that could work.
>>
If you just do it and take it seriously without calling attention to how le wacky xD it is people won't think it's silly.

Or, they will think it's silly, and either get used to it or they fuck off and watch something else.
>>
>>91165810
>a comic-accurate costume look good on TV/movies without making it look totally ridiculous or shit?
Put serious effort into getting it as good as you can:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__ngToCRSq0

Then understand that that's still not going to get you all the way there and CGI that shit:
https://vimeo.com/159011768
>>
>>91167868
>do it and take it seriously without calling attention to how le wacky
I'd say go the other way with it and embrace the fact that Capeshit is inherently goofy ( or, at the very least, surreal ).

I mean, look at this vfx breakdown for Supergirl:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcK8-qrzliE

If they can model up an entire city for her to fly though ( and planes to catch and big rigs to smash into ) there's no logical reason not to have a Burton-esqe Gotham or a Retro Future Metropolis.

In other words: stop trying to make things look realistic or believable and worry about making things look COOL.
>>
>>91168099
It's probably easier to go for a modern look because the car and building models can be pre-made and used for different tv programs.

They could have easily already had all those assets modeled for another show before they had to use them for Supergirl.
>>
>>91165810
it's pretty easy. You take the costume as-is, and make small modifications that you don't even notice
for example, the live action supermans have nearly always given him a molded plastic S with thick relief, and ditched the cape shield. but they kept the tights and trunks normal cloth, and made a simple cloth belt because superman doesn't carry stuff on his belt. th at works great

Spider-man.. leaves the red and blue cloth as tight cloth, but makes them different materials, and adds plastic embossing to the webbing and the spider.

take this approach to, say, classic Cyclops.. leave the blue part as tights, but take the yellow belts and pouches and make them look more realistic and tactically useful.
>>
File: 5131040-8958283914-Spide.jpg (94KB, 338x594px) Image search: [Google]
5131040-8958283914-Spide.jpg
94KB, 338x594px
Easy, don't be a pussy about it.
>>
>>91168099
>Capeshit is inherently goofy
yeah no. capeshit was forced to be goofy by overprotective assholes, and it recovered from that. it's meant to not be MUNDANE, yeah. not REALISTIC.. but not goofy. stylish. larger than life. if you can't get dramatic and stylish without having to act like you're too cool for it, maybe comics aren't for you. try extreme sports.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.