[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it that Marvel gives less of a fuck about the magic side

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 158
Thread images: 12

File: Marvel magic universe.jpg (68KB, 710x346px) Image search: [Google]
Marvel magic universe.jpg
68KB, 710x346px
Why is it that Marvel gives less of a fuck about the magic side of their universe? It always seemed that DC makes more of an effort in developing the mystical side of their universe.
>>
>>91069359
Because they only have a couple of magic characters.
>>
>>91069359

DC worked limitations into magic.
Marvel's magic is just "fuck it, its magic does whatever we want"
>>
>>91069359
who are the dudes on the far right and far left?

also every other day some stupid asgardian faggot shows up to ruin everyone's day, so I'm sure you're talking out your ass
>>
>>91069506
and they have a habit of unexplained heel-turns. Here's looking at Mordred and Samian Hellstrom
>>
>>91069552

far left is wiccan.
no clue on far right
>>
>>91069539
And that's the wrong way to do it. You need order and rules for magic.
>>
>>91069359
Because while DC saw great success with well written characters that toyed with supernatural/magic aspects of the universe (Constantine, Swamp Thing, Sandman), Marvel is full of shit tier supers.
>>
>>91069577
Voodoo
>>
Marvel likes to keep it's heroes grounded in reality for the most part. Trying to explain powers through science and X-Genes instead of magic or aliens.
>>
Far right character is Shaman from Alpha Flight
>>
>>91069552
Shaman from Alpha Flight and Wiccan from Young Avengers.
>>
>>91069359
Magic doesn't sell. Although the magic side of DC is well developed, well liked and has received critical acclaim, it has not made that much money.
>>
>>91069359
>marvel
>giving a shit

Pick one
>>
>>91069559
>>91069577
>>91069671
It's Shaman.
He was part of Alpha Flight before they were repurposed into Carol's cheerleading squad.

Voodoo is next to him.
>>
>>91069359
I think it's because Marvel writers view stories as "Hero punches villain into submission" and don't know how to make the rules of magic compelling for that scenario.
>>
>>91069359
I think Quesada illustrated Marvel's attitude towards magic best when he said "It's magic! We don't have to explain it!"
>>
>>91069359
>Marvel gives less of a fuck about the magic side
So I guess Thor and Dr Strange didn't get movies and Ghost Rider didn't show up on SHIELD in your world?
#alternateFacts
>>
>>91070167
That's a problem with any DC characters that aren't in Vertigo or horror books though, not just Marvel ones. Doctor Fate has the same damn problems Strange has in sustaining a lengthy series, ditto Zatanna. DC just has a bigger collection of characters to draw upon who are magical in nature.

Cape comics in general really struggle to do a good job with boiling magic down to people punching each other, there's rarely any sense of rules or logic to spellcasting beyond what the story itself requires, which makes the whole idea of magic as a superpower in universes where characters power levels are accurate to the tonnage they can bench-press maddeningly vague. You get The Specter, God's own unstoppable Angel of Wrath in some stories, ghost jobber and wearer of green hood and pixie boots in others.
>>
>>91070545
This is /co/, not /tv/.
>>
>>91069359
Science>Magic
>>
>>91069671
>>91069945
>Voodoo
Did he drop the "Brother"?
>>
>>91071095
I think it's still "Doctor" from when he was Sorcerer Supreme for a while.
>>
>>91070545
You mean the movie that said that magic is just advanced science and the TV show that stated that Ghost Rider comes from the quantum energy fields instead of from Hell.
>>
>>91069359
who is the hot bara blonde hunk of the group?

that the key for people to give a fuck about this
>>
>>91069600
it depends on what type of story you are doing and who has the power in it but yes your statement is true in most cases. even if you don't do a detailed chart you still need a power reservoir
>>
Because Marvel's Mystic stuff consists of Dr. Strange & his supporting cast, a few survivors from their horror line and whatever stray team wizards they can scrape up. Asgard and their fellow gods might be an option but they can never decide whether or not they run on Sufficiently Advanced Technology.
Imagine DC's mystic side if Vertigo didn't exist, Wonder Woman ran on magitech and all we had was based around half-remembered Dr. Fate, Zatanna or Teen Titans comics.
>>
>>91069359
DC makes more effort in stories in general, which is where Marvel lacking.
>>
>>91069359
DC has better Magic.

Marvel focused on Cosmic/Space instead.

Compared to Marvel, DC's cosmic side is shit. Apart from people from the future, most of it was just thanagar shit.
>>
>>91071210
>Ghost Rider comes from the quantum energy fields instead of from Hell.
what the fuck, I'm doing my best not to believe you but fuck that does sound like something they'd say
>>
>>91073390
http://www.cbr.com/agents-of-shields-ghost-rider-is-based-in-science-not-magic/
>>
Because magic is stupid. It's hard to make an interesting character that has limitless powers that don't need to be explained because lolmagic.
>>
>>91071544
Even if you didn't have Vertigo, you had the chaos v order mythology of the 80s (including Hawk/Dove and Dr. Fate) or all the Christian mythology that books like Spectre and Supergirl established.
>>
>>91073331
I don't think it's comparable. DC just hasn't created a unified framework for their space stuff, but there is good material like Invasion, RTW, Blue Beetle, Green Lantern and New Gods (if you think of them as a cosmic presence instead of gods using the symbols of tech).
>>
File: 1360614712439.jpg (61KB, 402x406px) Image search: [Google]
1360614712439.jpg
61KB, 402x406px
>>91073781
It's a shit series, I know that much, but did they really think they'd make anyone happy with this?
>>
File: 1487719835901.jpg (70KB, 325x299px) Image search: [Google]
1487719835901.jpg
70KB, 325x299px
>>91073781
I hate this show more and more every waking moment.
>>
Could you say that it was because Neil Gaiman gave DC the tools to work with?
>>
>>91074692
Alan Moore helped too as did all the various heckblazer authors
>>
>>91073331
I mean DC does have the GLs and all the other corps on their cosmic side. And the New Gods as well. Marvel rarely gives their cosmics the spotlight anymore even though they used to be far better than most mainline stuff. Current state of the cosmic side of Marvel is pretty sad desu, Guardians of the Galaxy went from being great to meme tier, especially after the movie came out.
>>
>>91073781

How in the world did they think that this shit would be okay?

In a world with Doctor Strange and Iron Fist, they decide to fucking make Ghost Rider science based?

Jesus christ, at least even the Arrow writers made Darhk's powers magic based, and it's barely even magical.
>>
>>91074692
There were a lot of british occultists working in DC during the 80's and 90's.
>>
>>91074080
Did you fucking read the thread?

Magic is better at DC BECAUSE it has laws and is explained instead of the Quesadilla way of doing magic.
>>
>>91074982
Only Morrison and Moore are occultists.

Gaiman is a scientologist and Ennis is probably Catholic.
>>
>>91075694
I thought that gaiman wasn't one , only his parents really were
>>
>>91075755
His dad was head of the UK branch. Publically Gaiman is jewish, but he probably has a special arrangment with the "Church" if he ever wants to talk to his siblings again
>>
>>91069600
I thought you needed LSD and Morrison.
>>
>>91070605

Who does spectre ever lose too aside from 5th dimension imps?
>>
>>91075893
>Who does spectre ever lose too aside from 5th dimension imps?

The Joker
>>
>>91071125
Drumm does actually have a doctorate. Unlike a certain Latverian monarch I could name who never even got his bachelor's.
>>
>>91075963

Are you referring to the story I've heard about where they decided Spectre can't punish the joker since he has no empathy part of his brain and therefore has no idea what he's doing is wrong?
>>
>>91076277
Yes. It's very dumb.
>>
>>91076017
Doom is monarch of his own country. He can basically give himself an honorary one.
>>
>>91076362
he did
>>
>>91076362
That would be incredibly pathetic
>>
>>91076517
So perfectly in character.
>>
>>91076017
>Drumm does actually have a doctorate
Yeah in psychology
>>
>>91076738
They don't give doctorates in the mystic arts.
>>
Doctor Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme is a really great book. Javier Rodriguez' art is outta sight. Last issue was a fucking choose your own adventure! I can't believe I haven't seen it storytimed more.
>>
>>91076777
NYU has a Witch School
>>
File: 3652251-8183570651-25505.jpg (518KB, 1904x1920px) Image search: [Google]
3652251-8183570651-25505.jpg
518KB, 1904x1920px
>>91071277

Daimon Hellstrom.
>>
>>91076827
Someone tried to storytime that "choose your own adventure" issue but kind of fucked it up a bit (sorry if it was you). /co/ doesn't seem to like to storytime books that are quietly doing good things. I'll be sure to look into it
>>
>>91070416
I would say that and Bendis' depiction of Doctor Strange during his Avengers run.
>>
>>91069359

It is harder to sell their lie about being the "realistic" universe if they have a bunch of people running around casting spells.
>>
File: Witches_Vol_1_3.jpg (111KB, 400x650px) Image search: [Google]
Witches_Vol_1_3.jpg
111KB, 400x650px
because Aaron is a shitty writer and also they don't use these girls enough
>>
>>91075893
Hitler waving around a magic stick
>>
>>91071544
But why would you take away the Vertigo magic? It's still there, even if you pretend it isn't.
>>
>>91069359
marvel treats everyone that isnt on the council of social tolerance (or whatever bullshit they call it) like shit and they dont pay worth a fuck for royalties either so people with good ideas are going to dc now (even tho they are almost as bad )
>>
>>91069359
Every magic character is somehow related to Dr Strange in some way.

DC has loads of magic characters leftover from the golden age days. Most of the JSA was magic based in some way so it expanded from there.
>>
>>91069721
>keep its heroes grounded
>when Spider-Man has the web of life
>when Pym is the scientist supreme
>when Sentry exists
>Thor

I could go on
>>
>>91069539
More like...the exact total opposite.

DC had magic characters being limitless to the point of just as well being Bewitched/Sabrina characters. Raven and Zatanna being the biggest offenders. Any outcome can be done by them without limit or cost and they just blink and shit happens.

Marvel treats their magic users like RPG characters and either has them specialize in a single thing or actually require complicated spells to accomplish anything. Marvel drives that whole all things have a soct aspect home all the damn time.
>>
>>91073331
>What is Green Lantern Corps
>What is LEGION
>What is Captain Comet
>What is Darkstars

I'm assuming you are either a shilling Marvelfag or a fucking moronic casual that needs to shut the fuck up
>>
>>91073781
>quantum mechanic lel

I fucking want to murder someone right now, holy fuck.

FAUSTIAN BARGAIN, YOU DOUBLE SHITS.
>>
>>91073781
why is magic such a taboo nowadays? Is it because of China?
>>
>>91079676
And the south.

Apparently Bible belt will stomach all sciency explanations but the second someone has a magic origin it is satanism and you have idiots picketing theaters
>>
>>91079641
To be fair to him, a lot of those did just get pulled into Thanagar shit in the last decade or so.
>>
>>91069671
Who do?
>>
>>91079605
"It is magic, we don't have to explain it" isn't a DC thing, anon.
>>
>>91079689
fucking chinks and rednecks, they ruin everything.
>>
>>91079731
>I base everything I know about a company from a single comment that I do not even know where it came from
>>
>>91079750
>I base everything off Iron Man is really fucking cool Imma imitate him and fly into a fucking truck because I'm a fucking Marvelfag cuck
>>
File: 1457556963224.jpg (22KB, 416x416px) Image search: [Google]
1457556963224.jpg
22KB, 416x416px
>>91079750

Marvelkek
>>
File: 546546412312.jpg (27KB, 308x308px) Image search: [Google]
546546412312.jpg
27KB, 308x308px
>>91079605
Umm no

Not when Dr Strange is best known for doing any stupid outcome whatsoever just by waving a finger. Absolutely anything can happen without limit, it is fucking retarded storytelling and just does not even attempt to have a single rule about it.

SC on the other hand always has a hard set of rules for every hero and set forth a set of magic rules in the 60's for the magic characters to follow. This is something Marvel has never once attempted for any character they have invented since the beginning.
>>
>>91079750
Are you fucking retarded?

You talk shit, is proved wrong and THIS is your best response?
>>
File: MAhandbookpg00.jpg (84KB, 550x834px) Image search: [Google]
MAhandbookpg00.jpg
84KB, 550x834px
>>91069359
It seemed like they were going to do something more with the magic side of marvel back when mystic arcana was coming out, but they never followed up on Ian and Ashake afterwards.

Then they let Bendis have his way with Doc strange and kill a couple magic people. Gillen made Wiccan into an even bigger Mary sue by turning home in the god of magic, and now Aaron wrote an awful Strange book.
>>
>>91079833
Where was he proved wrong?
>>
>>91079833
Don't bother with Marvelkeks, they do not even read their own material. They just sit on wikis all day and troll vs threads

the most pathetic of fandoms out there
>>
>>91079835
Or they can fuck off with their pathetic display of imitating DC and cut out attempting to have a complete and total copy of Dr Fate.
>>
>>91079843
"DC magicians have no limits while Marvel magicians have to respect rules".

Quesadilla's quote, One More Day, House of M and Wiccan are proofs of the dumbassery of this comment (and so are Hellblazer, The Demon and Seven Soldiers of Victory).
>>
More and more I lose my patience dealing with you casuals. All of you guys can go fuck yourselves. Marvel magic is fleshed out plenty. The problem is the current writers never read those books so have no idea what to do.

Here are it's rules you dumbfucks:

Three-Fold Path, this is called Ego-Centric Magic or Arcanum Ego. It involves drawing upon one's own spiritual energies (also referred to as one's own life forces).

While there are mental and psychic applications of this power, it is distinct from psionic / psychic / mental energies in that it directly draws upon the spiritual instead. In drawing upon this source, there is some risk involved, namely in that drawing on the spiritual, the spirit (or life-force) of the sorcerer in question is at stake. Skilled sorcerers, therefore, learn ways in which to draw upon this source of magic without exhausting their own spirit.
Universal (or Worldly) Energies / Universal (or Worldly) Sources

Under Agamotto's Three-Fold Path, this is called Eco-Centric Magic or Arcanum Eco. The name for this magic is derived from the Greek "Oikos". or "Household".
Magic surrounds the sorcerer in myriad forms, and at all times. Mages who have progressed far in their skills are able to tap into these forces. This ensures a Sorcerer Supreme is never without the powers necessary to stand up to threats who encroach on the Earthly plane, as he is powered by the very ambient energies of his realm.
By definition, this source of power is derived from Eternity. From there, this particular power source can be stratified in numerous ways. Elemental forces, namely, naturally fall under the realm of Arcanum Eco, and can be drawn upon for varied effects.
>>
>>91079911
Dimensional Energies / Dimensional Sources
Under Agamotto's Three-Fold Path, this is called Exo-Centric Magic or Arcanum Exo. Dr. Strange is perhaps the most renown (behind Agamotto himself) user of this particular source of magical energy. This is noted as an extremely advanced form of magic that draws upon powers that exist outside one's own realm and from other dimensions, which obey seperate laws often tangential / opposed to our own.
Extremely skilled, experienced, and proficient sorcerers are able to commune with the beings, sources, and powers that exist outside of one's own universe / realm and in seperate dimensions, normally called the Principalities and Powers.
To invoke the aid of patrons like Cytorrak, Ikonn, and Raggadorr, who hold absolutely vast power as the Principalities and Powers, sorcerers must learn and master complex incantations and subtle gestures. However, learning how to commune with the entity is the first step; after that, the entreated entity has to impart the power- and as you might very well imagine, this does not come without a catch.
In essence, casting a spell which draws upon the power of Arcanum Exo can be broken down into two parts:
1) The incantation and gesture. This opens an inter-dimensional rapport (think dialing overseas) to the entity in question. Simultaneously, the invocation and gesture will have detailed a specific effect that the sorcerer wishes to make manifest, which the entity grants.
2) The actual manifestation of the effect. This follows from the invocation and gesture that detail an effect to be made manifest.

An example would help. Let us say Dr. Strange wishes to cast a simple spell invoking, say, Raggadorr. It would go something like this:

"By the mystic powers that are eternal! In the name of the bonds unbreakable to all! Restrain now this blaze ever-infernal! SEVEN RINGS OF RAGGADORR!"

The chant is the phone line.
>>
>>91079899
Does Zatanna even have a rule to go by?

She actually does seem more at home in a sitcom like Sabrina like anon said earlier
>>
File: 1310483412100.jpg (34KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
1310483412100.jpg
34KB, 413x395px
>>91079911
That's a nice amount of bullshit you clearly got from the rpg sourcebook
but not in a single Marvel book

Fuck off with this roleplayer crap Marvelfag...DC is clearly the one in charge of this setting
>>
>>91079911
>>91079958

Now, this does not come without a Terms and Conditions clause. For one, the entity can choose whether or not to impart power. Dr. Strange faced this problem from time to time, particularly when he tried to invoke Dormammu in his spells (you don't grant power to your archenemy, obviously), and once with Satannish.
Next comes the matter of price. Naturally, you don't get to use the power granted by one of the Powers and Principalities without a means of compense. The problem is that a favor is now owed to what/whomever Dr. Strange (or any sorcerer for that matter) invoked. Usually, these just pile up like seperate bill charges, and at an unspecified later time, who/whatever was invoked in the spell can come to even out the balance (usually through another favor). Alternatively, it is possible to curry favor with an entity in exchange for relatively unconditional use in invocations.
Dr. Strange faced this problem in the War of the Seven Spheres, where he faced, for lack of a better term, "overdue credit" with the Principalities and Powers like Ikonn, Watoomb, etc. For the favours due, each entity wished him to fight under their own banner in the War of the Seven Spheres for a period spanning millennia.
When Dr. Strange recited the Emancipation Incancation, which canceled all favors due under the condition that he no longer be able to call upon his patrons for aid, he found himself massively bereft of power. After using the Gaian Aura of Earth to power his magic (which is heavily Elemental in nature), the Vishanti came to re-enlist him for the War. This time, Strange felt that he owed them a heavy debt for all the years they saved his life (and Earth), and with a little extra coercion on the side (like incineration), Strange fought for the Vishanti and got back into their good books, enabling him to call upon them once more.
______
>>
>>91079911
Aaron completely changed all of that, which is to say that he didn't give a shit about any established rules and made something that would justify his boring retread of Gor.
>>
File: 323262.png (146KB, 459x302px) Image search: [Google]
323262.png
146KB, 459x302px
>>91079911
>>91079958

Yet we only ever see Strange making glowing hands and absolutely any outcome of any kind no matter what happens without consequence or payment.

Then we have Scarlet Witch who can do ANY FUCKING THING no matter the scale down to rewriting the universe itself on a whim. She might as well be a Fairly Odd Parent at that point.

DC would never do something so fucking blatantly retarded. This proves that Marvel gives no fucks when it is magic.
>>
>>91079962
Zatanna is potentially the most powerful character in the entire DC Universe, if you really think about it. God, she should have an event centered around her. I bet that would be wild. No, Seven Soldiers doesn't count.
>>
>>91079962
Does Wiccan even have a rule to go by?
>>
Company wars fags are the cancer killing this board.
>>
>>91079911
>>91079958
>>91079988
>"Y-you all don't even read comics!"
>crtl+c ctrl+v from a shit wikia
>>
>>91079605
Dr Strange is magic Walmart
>>
>>91079911
>>91079958
>bla bla bla wiki shit

>>91079988
>bla bla my own fanfiction

This is not /lit/ anon, why not fuck off to where people might want to see some of your fanfiction
>>
>>91079973
Go fuck yourself you piece of utter shit. If I found out where you lived I will genuinely fucking shoot you.

The recent example of these rules being listed in this issue of marvel tarot right here.

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Marvel_Tarot_Vol_1_1

The main character is Ian Mcnee a literal who. If you aren't a die hard fan of actual marvel magic you won't know him. He is almost dr strange level in power and was considered one of his potential replacement should strange fall.

Read more comicbooks you console war faggot.
>>
>>91080015
No one is asking about him

I want to know if Zatanna has any magic rules at all
>>
>>91080015
Wiccan isn't even technically a magician he's a full on reality warped.
>>
>>91080037
Marvel is comic Walmart anon

just cheap knockoff shit that is loved by rednecks and illiterate inbred morons will leave you wanting something better
>>
>>91079995
Holy autism did you even read the fucking bullshit I wrote.

Dr. Strange faced this problem in the War of the Seven Spheres, where he faced, for lack of a better term, "overdue credit" with the Principalities and Powers like Ikonn, Watoomb, etc. For the favours due, each entity wished him to fight under their own banner in the War of the Seven Spheres for a period spanning millennia.

When Dr. Strange recited the Emancipation Incancation, which canceled all favors due under the condition that he no longer be able to call upon his patrons for aid, he found himself massively bereft of power. After using the Gaian Aura of Earth to power his magic (which is heavily Elemental in nature), the Vishanti came to re-enlist him for the War. This time, Strange felt that he owed them a heavy debt for all the years they saved his life (and Earth), and with a little extra coercion on the side (like incineration), Strange fought for the Vishanti and got back into their good books, enabling him to call upon them once more.

The powers can ask him back for some favor its still potentially there as a plot point but current marvel writers are hacks so they dont use it.
>>
>>91080050
Nobody fucking cares about your fanwiki anon

No one but autistic fags ever gave a fuck about wikis that can be literally anything you want them to be. I can go there right now and shit out some "Super special totally legit" rules for something I have never once read a day in my life and I guess you would HAVE to follow that because it's on the wiki. That makes it official!
>>
>>91080046
>>91080036
Hey edgy faggots go here >>91080050

Then gtfo to tv or v
>>
File: 104.gif (11KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
104.gif
11KB, 220x220px
>>91080015
Wiccan is a reality warping mutant, not a magic user
>>
>>91080061
Yes, she has. She can't just say "No more specific race" or create a new universe from a gay fanfiction and that's it.
>>
>>91080088
you dumbass I was showing you the most recent comicbook the rules are listed in. If you read it the rules are there. Otherwise you could read old dr strange comics for a better understanding like Ditko's stuff as well.
>>
>>91080076
no one is ever going to read that anon, not ever
>>
Because everything gets fucked up when you bring in people with crazy powers.

Like everything becomes meaningless, why waste time with fucking Batman when you have someone with god powers who can shut everything down?
>>
>>91080061
She does not recreate universes for daddy, or reboot the entire universe because editorial is complete shit,

or you know, try reading a book with her in it instead of trolling here anon
>>
This thread is full of the most autistic fucking faggots.
>>
>>91079911
>>91079958
>>91079988
Marvel Magic is summed up by two things anon

>we aint got to explain shit
>it's all technology, there is no magic

There you go anon, and from much higher and more authoritative sources than any of that paragraphs of pure company wars autism you wasted your life on typing.

Marvel has no rules, Marvel has no magic, Marvel gives no fucks about anything surrounding it either
>>
>>91069359
DC has lot note history and substance, context with magic it was a huge part of the golden age

Marvel is pretty much an overglorified hack company
That sells to autistic people who can only respond to over saturated colors
>>
>>91080114
ok cunt just dont complain that marvel hasn't defined their magic corner.

>>91080169
I already stated marvel doesn't give a shit anymore you fuckwit
>>
>>91079962
She needs to say or write her spells backwards
>>
Most Marvel characters were invented in the 60's scifi nuclear age era. So most are going to be science-ey in some way, typically radiation based.

That's why the FF are from cosmic rays, Spider-Man is from radiation, Hulk is from a nuclear bomb, Iron Man was a weapons manufacturer, even early X-Men were explained as happening due to nuclear testing.
>>
>>91080186
This

Many JSA members were based on magic. Green Lantern, Johnny Thunder, Dr Fate, Wonder Woman, Spectre, Zatara, and Hawkman they were all magic based heroes.

Marvel bases their heroes on stealing long term DC ideas and claiming they were totally original.
>>
>>91076986
Disappointing
He's looks more like a ginger too
>>
>>91080247
DC just stole from novels and movies from the time, there's nothing original in comics it's all just ripped off shit dolled up in bright colors.
>>
>>91080274
lol
>>
It would be great if at some point this board stopped oscillating between two groups of screeching morons yelling or fellating themselves about their funny picture books.
>>
>>91080061
She operates on the same rule that all magical characters operate on in the DC Universe. That magic always has a cost.
>>
>>91080145
Why bother getting out of bed in the morning if America has nukes they can obliterate the entire world with at any time?
>>
>>91080061
The fact of the matter is that she operates by rules.

Nothing in Marvel even pretends that there are any in the first place.
>>
>>91080147
>reboot the entire universe because editorial is complete shit

Yeah, we have Barry Allen, Supes Prime and Dr. Manhattan for that.
>>
>dude magic is just technology that is too advanced
>but dude also magic is whatever you want it to be and it has no rules
how is it that DCfans think Marvel subscribes to both of these at the same time?
>>
Because sandman was an unparalleled succes and DC keeps working with that ground layer that's accessible
>>
>>91079962

Yes. Talking backwards is just her way of doing a spell, Zatanna isn't a reality warper who can just make shit happen if she talks backwards. She has to know a spell in order for it to work. That's a misconception because they usually don't explain that talking backwards is just how she concentrates and does magic.
>>
>>91081196
DCfags don't read comics just like how Marvelfags don't read comics.
>>
>>91081233
The Books of Magic is more foundation building than The Sandman
>>
>>91069359
Because when after horror / magic books renaissance ended and they stopped selling Marve cancelled them, but DC had them in Vertigo where they were less demanding on sales numbers front.
>>
>>91079796
>>91069539
Can we have some example of DC well made magic? Limitations?
One caveat: no Vertigo.
>>
>>91082205
Books of Magic vol. 1

All magic comes with a price, and you'll end up paying it one way or another.
>>
>>91082238
1) BoM should be Vertigo imprint, very few capes, lots of Vertigo chars and settings.
2) I meant specific rules with specific DC chars. For ex.: Zatanna verbalize inverted spells.

Anyone?
>>
>>91082713
BoM was part of an attempt to straighten out the "rules" of DC Magic so to speak that is before Vertigo/DC went their separate ways. But BoM absolutely does count.
>>
>>91081196
magic is technology, because technology is anything that allows an effect to happen. Normalfags use material physics to create effects which we call technology, magic fags use something to cause their effects which also is a form of technology but to say that magic tech and material tech is the same is just ludicrous.
>>
>>91084052
BoM is Vertigo imprint.
>>91082205 asked for NOTvertigo.

Why anons are always happy to shitpost but never deliver?
>>
>>91069539
>>91069359

Ive wanted a proper new go at Magic in Marvel with somebody coming in to just take creative control to specifically set rules and define what almost everything properly is and what it does.

I also want a team book with each member being a different type of magic and led by Strange but thats never going to happen.
>>
Science

A glove that shoots lightning

Magic

A bare hand with a weird symbol on it that shoots lightning

You can explain the science one, YOU CANT EXPLAIN the magic one, sure you can say hurr the symbol cause the magic but HOW IT DOES IS IMPOSSIBLE.
>>
>>91079705
You do
>>
>>91074946
>>91079645
>>91079676

Marvel in general seems to be scared of going all in with Magic and are scared of for some reason.

Dr Strange does have a lot of magic but in the movie they fucking explain it as its just weird science you have to learn. Tony Stark saying that with him trying to understand magic is fine but a magic user saying it is fucking dumb. Also reducing magic to mainly just kung fu fights and a few spells.

Its weird that they want to shy away from this when going all in with Magic opens doors to other villains and things they can use in future movies.
>>
>>91080507
>Implying I ever leave my bomb shelter
It's elementary anon
>>
>>91084403
>BoM is a vertigo imprint
Set in the DC universe. It's literally a showcase of all magic in the DC universe.
Sandman should also count considering it's also in the DC universe, same goes for Swamp thing and early Hellblazer.
>>
>>91079731
Zatanna's power was literally "Anything I say backwards happens" for the longest time until they had to gimp everyone for nu52.

Phantom Stanger is so magical that an embodiment of God's Vengeance couldn't actually beat him and had to turn him into a mouse for a few days to keep him out of the way.

Captain Marvel (anyone empowered by Shazam really), aside from being powered by gods could channel all magic on Earth and go toe to toe with said embodiment.

DC is very much "It's magic, we don't have to explain shit".
>>
>>91080251
Satan is a ginger, anon
>>
>>91081196
Because Marvel fans are fucking retarded
>>
>>91084508
And I suppose you can explain

mutant power

A bare hand that shoots lightning because it was born that way?
>>
File: 1449085916730s.jpg (10KB, 250x229px) Image search: [Google]
1449085916730s.jpg
10KB, 250x229px
>>91087376
This...this is the exact kind of lazy shit Marvel pulls off all the damn time that makes them look fucking terrible. They invent such amazing explanations like
>Hurr they were just born like that
over and over again then proudly wave the fact that they do not give a fuck about explaining shit to the public when asked.

House of "we did not give enough of a fuck to invent something, just steal it and not care"
>>
>>91069359
Didn't Aaron recently do a story about magic running out?
>>
>>91086402
But theu do explain shit
>Zatanna is the mistress of magic, a child of two powerful sorcerers who was practicing magic all her life.
>her backwards speech is just concentration device.
>Phantom stranger is an ex-archangel
>Captain Marvel is literally self-explanatory.
>>
>>91088423
Wait, Marvelfags are willing to accept Thor doing his wacky shit but refuse to believe how Captain Marvel works?
>>
>>91086402
>>91088423
>Phantom stranger is an ex-archangel
Wrong, Phantom Stranger is Judas.
>>
>>91087620
>bombarded by cosmic rays
>bombarded by gamma rays
>bit by a radioactive, uh, spider
>hit in the face with toxic waste
>.......
>fuck it, they're just randomly born with powers!
>>
>>91088530
Thanks, Doctor Manhattan.
Thread posts: 158
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.