[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What crime could Martin have possibly committed to end up

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3

File: S6e2_DadAndSon.png (974KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
S6e2_DadAndSon.png
974KB, 1920x1080px
What crime could Martin have possibly committed to end up in the citadel?
>>
Being in AT after it went to shit.
>>
>>91059912
Being a fucking white heterosexual cis scum.
>>
>>91059912
How many people actually liked his father? It's hyped up like crazy and then its revealed he's a bum. Like he isn't even a badass criminal, he's just annoying.

I have no idea why you would write this into your story.
>>
A cosmic crime. It was made clear many of times that he does not care about other people's things and steals very often. Could be something related to that.
>>
>>91060061
I like it. He's just a human.
>>
>>91060061
>it's hyped up like crazy
It was more like a big reveal

>then it's revealed he was a bum
When? He is a criminal on the run.

Martin was made to he unlikeable from the start. However this was paralleled in Islands with a caring father
>>
>>91060061
being disappointed in your dad and having to get over it isn't an uncommon theme. I could relate.

its kinda cool that through all his running away from everything he actually managed to escape the universe itself.

I'm probably one of those rare people who thought the show got good again one they toned down the teenage love-drama and lesbians
>>
>>91060061
I love Martin, he's one of my favourite characters.
>>
I can see them retroactively making it so he was "locked away to prevent a cosmic crime he was destined to commit", which was killing Glob.
>>
Martin is my fav at character
>>
I like that there's a show out there for kids with deadbeat dads. That, and Richard's dad in TAWOG.

That episode where Finn builds a space tower was GOAT too, it managed to be a "revenge is futile" morality tale that was actually cathartic.

>Hey kid... you really mean all that stuff about ripping your dad's arm off?
>Uhh, yeah. For REVENGE.
>>
>>91059912
He tricked Prismo into giving him 2 wishes
>>
>>91060061
My problem with him that he doesn't seem competent in any way. Even when he manages to run away from shit, and even escape the universe, he just seems to be bumbling along, and having the universe let him run free.
>>
>>91060356
Rigby's dad is a deadbeat, in RS
>>
>>91060356
>>91060469
Are there any shows for kids without deadbeat dads? Or deadbeat moms? It just seems like a common feminist fantasy to have shitty fathers while it's very rare to have a flawed mother character.
>>
>>91060517
ever think that maybe everything isnt just big bad sjw boogeyman and that maybe shitty fathers are a pervasive theme in all of western society?
>>
>>91060517
If the mother is flawed or deadbeat there's sympathy involved with her, either for the viewer or in-universe.

Deadbeat dad is just funny and/or pathetic, a fat slob, and usually very dumb.
>>
>>91060517
Steven Universe has a flawed mom, and a great dad.
>>
File: 22422.png (218KB, 680x575px) Image search: [Google]
22422.png
218KB, 680x575px
>>91060517
FUCKING CTR RUINING MY ACTION CARTOONS RRREEEEEEEE STOP WRITING WOMEN CHARACTERS
>>
>>91060596
They exist, just like people with ass-backwards ways of thinking exist.

That being said, the latter is a lot more common than the former.
>>
>>91060653
>Great dad

You mean the one who instead of living in a house with his son lives in a van while trusting a group of mentally ill lesbians who have already tried to murder his son multiple times and know nothing about human beings with raising his son?
>>
>>91060653
I'd say both parents are flawed in Steven Universe, Greg does live in a van and leaves his only son to live with space aliens he doesn't seem to like that much.

>>91060596
>>91060672
I'm just tired of the stereotype that all fathers are bad or bumbling idiots while the mothers are hyper-competent and have to begrudgingly put up with the fathers, occasionally with a snarky quip to the audience about it. It all started from when shows parodied the "Father knows best" stereotype and just has become so endemic that it has supplanted it as the stereotype we see so pervasively.

But feel free to keep being butthurt because I used the word "feminist" guys.
>>
>>91059912
He raped Ice King.
>>
>>91060653
>a flawed mom
they're all "flawed" but in a way that even if they fuck up real bad you're supposed to understand their reasoning and not get mad

Greg is a deadbeat, he has tanlines that make him look lazy, sleeps in his van, is a slob with trash and cans everywhere, and has a starter-pack beer gut

Just because he's loving his son doesn't make him a not-deadbeat, Homer used to have nice scenes with his son but was still the face of a bad dad
>>
>>91060061
He was an asshole in season six, but he had his funny moments. After watching Islands, I hope he comes back.
>>
>>91060061
At firsts Martin was going to be this great hero that was wrongfully imprisoned in the Citadel, but the writers didn't think that would make Finn's backstory tragic enough so they made Martin into a lying, irresponsible loser that abandoned his wife and child.

They redeemed him in Islands however, I guess they realized that it was kind of a bad idea.
>>
>>91060781
Gumball is the worst.

Nicole shunned everyone in the house for a fuckup she made and she couldn't muster up the fact that she was wrong, she couldn't even make herself say it, it capped off with

"it's ok hunny you don't have to say it, it's fine!" after an ENTIRE day of being given mean stares and a silent treatment to even her kids

oh and the episode where she thought about how her life would be without Richard and the kids
>>
>>91060864
Nah, Martin is still a dick.
>>
>>91060517
In Adventure Time the show has made a point to present Finn and Jake's dog parents as both being very caring, loving, and not dead-beat at all. Their dad wasn't a bumbling idiot, he was a bit of a hardass who thought his son was a raging pussy because he cried as a baby and wanted to wipe him into shape, but ultimately he did that just because he cared so much.

Also Marceline's dad isn't really deadbeat at all, mostly just an asshole who still cares.
>>
>>91060061
If he was a generic good father guy it would have been very boring, they made the right choice making him such a cunt. Him ripping off Finn's arm was fantastic, if only they didn't add it back so soon.
>>
>>91061022
Yeah, I suppose those are some decent examples
>>
>>91061100
It would be nice to get an asshole/incompetent mom to balance things out a little bit, I can't really think of any recent ones either in AT or modern cartoons
>>
>>91061146
There are some in anime. But they are rarely pathetic/incompetent in a comedic way, they are usually either neglectful, or straight-up evil.
>>
>>91060168
Being a human doesn't mean not having the foresight to not to burn every fucking bridge in their life. What a cynical view of "humanity." Did all modern writers of Adventure Time grow up with absentee parents or something? Why did they all lose faith in humanity?
>>
>>91060890
>"it's ok hunny you don't have to say it, it's fine!" after an ENTIRE day of being given mean stares and a silent treatment to even her kids
This is a credit to Richard. He may be a bumbling idiot, but he loves his wife and isn't a petty piece of shit.

And really, isn't that just as important? Proving the male character isn't a horrible person even if the woman isn't falling over herself to make it right?
>>
>>91060517
American Dad.
>>
>>91063659
>but he loves his wife and isn't a petty piece of shit.
They didn't have to write it that way, to where it was a "say it or don't" ending, she should've said sorry and he accepted the apology, her not even having to admit the day of turmoil was her fault and the fact she shunned all of them like an absolute bitch was very very fucking stupid
>>
File: tumblr_inline_mi7zz4BaQA1qz4rgp.gif (426KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_mi7zz4BaQA1qz4rgp.gif
426KB, 500x281px
>>91061087

Why do the fans wanted to rip off his arm? It is because of destiny and foreshadowing bullshit?

It is just freaking predictable at this point of the story. "oh shit, finn rip off his arm. I didn't see that coming".
>>
>>91060517
Homer Simpson's Mom
>>
>>91060781
>But feel free to keep being butthurt because I used the word "feminist" guys.
You shat your own bed, now either lie in it or clean it. No matter how much you try to rewrite your post, you can't change the fact that it was posted.
>>
>>91064760
The entire point is "Richard is actually a good person and Nichole has flaws of her own." By Nichole showing she had a hard time saying she was wrong doesn't mean she isn't wrong. She CLEARLY was wrong. And Richard is a good enough person not to go "WELL? I'M WAITING, SAY IT!" That's a credit to his character and a demerit to hers.
>>
>>91060517
Bob's Burgers. They do a good job balancing Bob and Linda out.

Linda is the live wire, eternally naively optimistic and enthusiastic, but without Bob there she'd have been in jail or dead years ago.

Bob is the ground, down to Earth, cautious, but without Linda there he would have done nothing interesting for seventy years, then died. Hell, It's Linda who pushes him to open up emotionally and realize Teddy is his best friend rather than some guy he hasn't seen in thirty years.
>>
>>91059912
Illegal serial abortions.
>>
>>91064891
Because it's fucking cool, you fag. It's just an interesting thing that the show itself introduced and made seem like an inevitability so after a few years of laying hints fans were excited that it was finally going to happen.
>>
>>91059912
By being one of the most annoying pricks in the history of the universe.
>>
>>91059912
Deadbeat daddery
Cosmic troublemaking
Just being a fucker.
>>
>>91059912
Existing. His plotline is fucking SU-tier garbage.
>>
>>91060517
I saw deadbeat moms more in east media, although it's handled very poorly and often goes for the "crazy bitch who wants to rule the world. "
>>
>>91065493
Keep the tears coming buddy.
>>
>>91067686
I think the AT crew realized this in some small capacity, since in the most recent arc, Martin is revealed to have some redeeming traits. Prior to that he was just a shitpile.
>>
>>91060517
>Are there any shows for kids without deadbeat dads?
I wish I had my old Dad Lantern Corps collage (remember those? The /co/rps?), but off the top of my head I can think of:
>Darkwing Duck
>Goofy in Goof Troop/A Goofy Movie (when you're young he SEEMS like a fuckup, then you grow up and realize he was the best dad ever)
>Baloo as Kit's surrogate dad in TaleSpin (lotta Disney Afternoon shows, I'mma change gears)
>Prof. Utonium
>Dexter's Dad
>Phineas & Ferb's dad, he's a really chill ex-musician guy.
>Dr. Isaac Sumdac from TFA, aside from the absent-minded professor cliche he tried his damnedest to be a good dad to a cyborg alien pod person.
>Doc Greene and Chief Burns from Transformers Rescue Bots
>Nigel Thornberry
>The dad from Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs, the movie and now the show
>Connie's dad from SU, since I know Greg will just trigger people who don't watch the show like >>91060764
>Chloe's dad from WBB
>I've only seen one episode of that Star Butterfly, but it was about how her dad, the bearded king of a fairy tale realm is awesome and likes to go out rough-housing, so I'mma count him.

Most cartoons I can think of with deadbeat dads, Peter Griffin, Jerry Smith, Timmy Turner's Dad, usually the mom is equally terrible.
>>
>>91069821
Oh yeah, now that I think about it, Margaret's Dad from Regular Show is another good recent /co/ dad.

And Simon, before he went completely bonkers.

Hell, even Hunson Abedeer has a fairly good father-daughter relationship.
>>
>>91069821
>>Connie's dad from SU, since I know Greg will just trigger people who don't watch the show like >>91060764
Don't forget Yellowtail! Yellowdad is best dad.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.