[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is anime so shit compare to Western cartoons? >9 times

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 157
Thread images: 25

Why is anime so shit compare to Western cartoons?
>9 times out of 10 the only moral is BE NUMBA 1
>never any heart or good morals
>humor is usually always the same brand of stale shit
>violence, sex, and gore for the sake of it with no real meaning
>every character is drawn the same way

I know this board has many weebs, but really for the rest of us why is anime so shallow in comparison? I feel like anime is full of great and fun cliches, and those cheap things and little tricks are even best when applied to Western sensibilities the majority of the time
>>
File: Saitama.jpg (24KB, 300x460px) Image search: [Google]
Saitama.jpg
24KB, 300x460px
Come on now.
>>
File: IMG_20161120_151618.jpg (102KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161120_151618.jpg
102KB, 1280x720px
>it's a east vs west episode
>>
File: anime stoner.png (1MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
anime stoner.png
1MB, 1024x768px
I will always feel like anime is a vastly superior medium to Western animation despite far and few between Western series occasionally surpassing or standing shoulder to shoulder with the best of Japanese animation. This being said I understand why some might prefer Western animation.

Regardless of your personal preference, one rule rings true: The vast majority of animated shows are terrible. And a few are great.
>>
File: 1238662655107.jpg (106KB, 554x439px) Image search: [Google]
1238662655107.jpg
106KB, 554x439px
>>91057440
>Regardless of your personal preference, one rule rings true: The vast majority of animated shows are terrible. And a few are great.
/thread

Nice work, gentlemen.
>>
>>91057440
I respect your opinion but this thread wasn't meant for you

>>91057493
You are a defensive idiot
>>
File: Screenshot_7.png (2MB, 1640x1065px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_7.png
2MB, 1640x1065px
Western Cartoons > Generic High School Girl animes

JoJo > Samurai Jack > Western Cartoons

JoJo has ruined everything else for me
>>
Mediocre Japanese art > mediocre Western art
Great Western art > great Japanese art
>>
>>91057322
Both are for kids, so who the fuck cares?
Weebs tend to be more obnoxious and have worse shows, though.
>>
>>91058263
why are you here then
>>
>>91058306
Jack threads. Loved it as a kid and feel I need to finish it up.
>>
>>91057322
It wasn't always that way, for the past decade or so the anime industry has been playing it safe ad churning out the same shit with a new coat of paint. But honestly you could say the same of Western cartoons, or even the modern film industry - all of these can be said to be "in decline" but there's still some good bits around. Also pretty much this >>91058263
>>
>>91058058
Fuck off Jojofag
>>
>>91057322

You just described Game of Thrones and 90% of 'high quality cable drama'.
>>
Why did “My Little Pony” matter? For me, it’s a turning point in what television asked of its audience. Before “My Little Pony,” there was a sense that television programs were designed to please the viewer in very well-charted ways. Comedies had laugh tracks to tell when you laugh. Dramas had heroes, often superheroes or giant robots, who would put the bad guy away. Everything was often wrapped by the end of the hour, giving you a nice warm feeling that there was comfort in this world before the evening news. Underneath that is an inherent sense of eagerness to please. Please laugh at my comedy. Please like my superhero. Please come back each week to see the bad guys get what they deserve.

From the VERY first episode of “My Little Pony,” that desperation is entirely absent. It was a show that didn't just lead you, it respected you. Like literature. Like theater. Like film. There’s a deep well of confidence in the filmmaking that also, like the filmmakers of the ‘70s, includes a willingness to experiment. Dream sequences, anti-heroes, dark humor, a protagonist who is a murderer, drug use, rape—there was nothing that Lauren Faust feared narratively. And her willingness to leave loose ends, to leave character motivations murky, to redefine audience loyalty, has led to “Over The Garden Wall,” “Samurai Jack season 5,” "Gravity Falls," and really any other cartoon you currently enjoy in all likelihood. If you’ve seen it, see it again. If you haven’t, it’s about damn time.
>>
>>91058530
The character of Pinkie Pie may have come in at the end of his fictional era, but the show that introduced viewers to him several years ago had a ripple effect that is still moving through the waters of its medium. I have seen the influence of “My Little Pony” more times than I can count in the decade-plus that I have been covering television. The best wasn't over, it was just beginning when “My Little Pony” permanently altered the landscape. Everything that has come after it has built levels sustained by this ground floor of television. Yes, there were shows before with a major impact on our current Golden Age of animation—“Batman the Animated Series,” “Avatar The Last Airbender,” others—but this is the one that truly redefined the terms of the form. And what I find increasingly remarkable about the show is its lasting strength. I’ve watched the first season of “My Little Pony” four times all the way through, and I know I’ll do so again. Each time, I catch a different reference, a different filmmaking choice, a different narrative joy in every single episode. And so it’s a great wonder to have every episode in one massive Blu-ray set from Hasbro now in stores, including a bonus disc of new material and every single episode in HD. This show isn’t just timeless, it’s still current. It would win Emmys if it were on TV right now. And I’m starting to believe that fact may never change.
>>
I can think of like 6 anime I enjoyed in 2016
I can think of 2 cartoons

Samurai Jack is excellent but it's going to be over in 7 episodes and it might be years before we see something of its quality again
>>
>>91058710
How about you do something with your life instead of watching drawn stuff, Anon? No wonder you have nobody by your side.
>>
>>91058710
You have it better than me.
I can only name one cartoon and one anime each I have enjoyed in the last few years.
>>
>>91057322
>never any heart or good morals
>humor is usually always the same brand of stale shit
And you posted *Spawn* as an example of why Western cartoons are better? Really?
>>
>>91057322
To be fair Western Animation is also pretty stale these days with "two dudebros in a wacky world" shit, with a handful of stuff that's amazing. In that regard anime and western animation really aren't too different.

The problem is the animation industry is completely controlled by otaku's and cartoon nerds who love the stuff that currently came out and do their hardest to make the exact same thing, it's intellectual inbreeding where no one has a legitimately creative idea and just wants to make the same shit over and over again with only a handful of people with genuine creativity and a wide array of interests who make something great.

For every Sword of The Stranger you have dozens of moeshit harem shows.
For every Secret of Kells you have dozens of Adventure Time/Regular Show wannabes.
>>
>>91058891
>Sword of The Stranger
>Secret of Kells
Those are complete and utter trash.
At least use good examples of animation like The Triplets of Belleville, Waltz of Bashir or Texhnolyze, you fucking faggot.
>>
>>91057322
>Why is anime so shit compare to Western cartoons?
Stop watching shit anime. I used to think the same of western cartoons until I started getting taste.
>>
File: Waltz with Bashir.png (891KB, 1100x500px) Image search: [Google]
Waltz with Bashir.png
891KB, 1100x500px
>>91059047
>Waltz with Bashir
>>
File: 1469093941343.png (54KB, 251x257px) Image search: [Google]
1469093941343.png
54KB, 251x257px
>>91057322
There's thousands of anime out there of varying quality and genres

There's thousands of cartoons out there of varying qualities and genres

You can't just hold them under one umbrella.
>>
>>91057440
>I will always feel like anime is a vastly superior medium to Western
more often than not that's not the case, most anime is created to look cool while a lot of western animation do give a shit about telling a story, developing characters, etc
>>
>>91059094
Still better than boring actionshit with terrible characters and yet another generic fairytale for kiddies.
>>
>>91057322
Is that a copypasta ? Pretty sure i read something similarl ast week except it was about cartoons
>>
File: 2.jpg (11KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
11KB, 210x240px
>>91057322
So you just watch shitty Shounen?

That's basically everything I gather from your post.
>>
>>91057322
>9 times out of 10 the only moral is BE NUMBA 1
That's the moral of life. The spoils go to the victor/"numba 1." History is written by the victor. Morals are made and governed by dominant entities.
>>
It's probably a fact already that "anime"/japanese cartoons could be vastly improved if it was created by western studios.
The best example is The Last Airbender. Written in an incredibly mature way, far more mature than Batman/Fillmore/Kids Next Door, despite the source material being just a bunch of teens and pre-teens going around the world learning elemental powers. It also wasn't edgy or immature like Teen Titans and P
The level of quality from TLA's

The only advantage anime keeps tooting endlessly is that it has no restrictions compared to western animation, which honestly is meaningless and complete garbage. Since when did blood, gore, sex, killing make up for good writing and well executed ideas? It's not even a matter of "got to pander to the demographic of idiots" it's a cultural and genetical problem with most asians. They're incapable of philosophy, morality, creativity and intellectual thoughts.

Because of Japan's asian culture of "Everyone's a samefaced chink chonk and you have to stand out from everyone" it always goes with the "Got to be Nr.1" and then hypocritically shoves some bullshit about love despite their whole civilization being based on self-masturbation, stupidity/absurdity and power dominance.

You know what other country allows for vulgarities and low-brow humour? France. France for example has a lot of cartoons with an art style and a similar writing style to Japan. Because France again is a very shallow and snooty country where pedophilles, sex, smoking, alcohol is completely normal. Especially their immature form of humour rivaling Britain's.

I wish we could get a large collection of country-specific cartoons and movies this whole west vs east becomes irrelevant and we start comparing country vs country. culture vs culture.

There's also chinese cartoons which go even more over the top than Japan. There's a large franchise called Rainbow Cat and Blue Rabbit, where sacrifice through blood is seen as a noble and just thing to do.
>>
What cartoons even are there for adults?

The list is pretty pitiful.

It's like American Dad, Family Guy, Bob's Burgers (also for kids), Archer etc
>>
>>91057322
I wish this was true. I don't remember a single anime in the last 20 years that had those 3 things.
>>
File: Internet Graphics (8725973).png (548KB, 1165x685px) Image search: [Google]
Internet Graphics (8725973).png
548KB, 1165x685px
>>91057322
Theres good shit on both sides, East and West you just have to claw your way through the bad stuff. Trigger consistantly sets out good series although I feel some might not be for you specifically.
Ping Pong the animation is the last anime I can think of that everyone I've seen loved it so check that out.
>>
>>91060033
There aren't.
Cartoons are for kids/manchildren, despite your rationalizations.
>>
File: Oban.Star.Racers.full.517599.jpg (435KB, 1415x900px) Image search: [Google]
Oban.Star.Racers.full.517599.jpg
435KB, 1415x900px
>>91057322
Because chink chonks and asian sympathizers are all unfunny, charmless, autistic morons who never read a good book in their life. They have no sense of responsibility, morality, intelligence and real charm.

Now France on the other hand, takes most of the weirdness Japan prides themselves in, and actually makes that weird thing have some brains put into it make you feel good about watching something taboo.
>>
File: Screenshot_3.png (3MB, 1919x1079px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_3.png
3MB, 1919x1079px
>>
>>91057440
Anime is literal animation, yes there are different applications of the medium depending where you are in the world, but treating them like genres is dumb. You might as well tell me the difference between movies and film.
>>
File: hz104_002.jpg (47KB, 768x433px) Image search: [Google]
hz104_002.jpg
47KB, 768x433px
>>91058530
>>91058594
This is the most blatant and substanceless copypasta I've read.

But I'm curious. Would you guys love to discuss what the hell made everyone on /co/ fall so deeply in love with that show despite being already a horrible executive mandate full of mediocre ideas and executions?

A similar thing seems to be happening with Hanazuki. A very cutesy and comfy show about child-like fantasy.

I think this type of children cartoons has a huge potential which hasn't been discovered yet.

I mean if it can actually manage to somewhat mind-control you then there has to be something magical in it, a formula write down and learn to recreate.
>>
INSTANT 400+ replies, good job OP
>>
>>91060135
And your horrid hyroglyph writing doesn't help your cause either.

Asians are a race of same-faced autists living on a tiny island, in tiny houses, with horrible food, constantly under stress. You can't expect intellectual things to ever come out of them which isn't meaningless drivel.
Don't put an asian to cook food for you.

"Art has to go through Japan's culture, resulting in a very autistic view."
>>
>>91057322
I'm a major weeb myself who regularly watches animu, but I'm with you there. Whilst I've watched more animu, I generally prefer (well-made) Western cartoons, or at least find them more engaging. Even the good animu rely on themes you've frequently seen before, and I feel like there's more shit to plow through in order to find the good stuff.
>>
>>91060044
Mnemosyne.
>>
File: 1438906065237.png (36KB, 945x686px) Image search: [Google]
1438906065237.png
36KB, 945x686px
Never 4get
>>
>>91059987
Dude, Avatar had the characters act like asses most of the time (which is why I hate it) and Korra learned nothing from the first show.

If you want Japanese animation done right go watch Tiny Toons.
>>91060094
Nobunaga's Shinobi will like to have a word with you.
>>
>>91058891
You hit the right spot anon. Samurai Jack Season 5 is actually the first show in years that has me yearning to see new episodes, I haven't felt that in a while about cartoons. I think the creative potential in the industry is stagnated because everything is so group think and clique-like in it. You won't get in unless you suck up to someone and usually that just involves making some LOL WACKY garbage.

I see OK KO at first I liked it but now I feel bored with it. Outside of Fighting game references its really stale.
>>
>>91060970
Imitating South Park's art style is not a good thing and if you're not using cartoons what they are made for then you do it in live action.

What you're doing is making Tex Avery & Bob Clampett turn in their graves.
>>
>>91060098
>I'M SO COOL XDD
>>
>>91060479
That was a great show, though.
>>
>>91057322
honestly I love anime, but the main reason I say western shows are better is because of American Nationalistic pride. it annoys me when true weeaboos say Japan is perfect and America us horrible. I love Japan, but America comes first.

also jojo and berserk are some of the greatest Manga to have ever been written
>>
>>91057440
I just fapped, but these tits make my dick tingle.
It's like that every sunday, my horniness is skyrocketing. And I just had long, steamy sex last night. High virility can be a curse.
>>
>>91059098
/thread
>>
>>91058058
Jojo sucks. Years ago, after weeks of a friend pestering me to read Jojo, I decided to give it a try.

Never seen a more boring, dumb, messy badly written piece of telenovela drama in my life.
I must have read 500 pages into it, a whole pointless volume of kid Jojo being bullied by Dio and scolded by his father, only to have us skip to a future where they are friends with no explanation of what changed in their dynamic, and as expected, Dio decides to start being a bad guy again.

Painful plot, dialogue, unlikeable characters with no depth. The writer is clearly winging it while he writes, he has no idea where the plot is going, and even the concept of having generations of Jojo is made up on the fly, hamfisted there with Jojo's father death, where everyone pretends he was a great guy, and not the dick he has been all along.

Only someone who consumed manga all his life could endure Jojo, it's a textbook example of how bad manga storytelling is.
>>
>>91058594
Ah.Found it.It was originally a review about the Sopranos
>>
>>91060523
This is also a great autism test. If you get to the last point, instead of abandoning anime once you realize it sucks, that's bad news.
>>
>>91060033
>What cartoons even are there for adults?
Adults don't worry about being adults, teens do
This is why the largest demo of anime fans are gothic teens who wear anime cat hats and naruto headbands
>>
>>91057322
NGE/EoE is probably the only anime I've watched and seriously enjoyed. Maybe the OG GITS too but it's overrated
>>
>>91057322
>Why is anime so shit compare to Western cartoons?
It isn't. It's objectively superior.

>>91058058
>Generic High School Girl animes
There doesn't exist anything like that.

>>91058891
> In that regard anime and western animation really aren't too different.
They're completely different.

>The problem is the animation industry is completely controlled by otaku's
No it isn't, and "otaku" doesn't mean whatever you think it means.

>it's intellectual inbreeding where no one has a legitimately creative idea and just wants to make the same shit over and over again
Meme. This is not actually happening in anime.

>>91059098
Anime has more quality and more variety.

>>91059987
>Since when did blood, gore, sex, killing make up for good writing and well executed ideas?
Anime has sex in it once in a blue moon, and the level of violence is pretty low.

>They're incapable of philosophy, morality, creativity and intellectual thoughts.
Nice projection.

>>91060417
>Even the good animu rely on themes you've frequently seen before
Well no shit. How many centuries do you think people have spent on storytelling by now?
>>
>>91057322
Western cartoons have morals because they are aimed at children.
Anime doesn't have morals because it's aimed at manchildren.
>>
>>91063513
It does have morals, and manchildren are a meme. For political reasons people don't want to admit that adults watch anime, so they've invented the "manchild" meme instead.
>>
>>91063480
Oh yeah forgot to say this is only true if /u/ doesn't count
>>
>>91057322
because the Japs are dogshit at storytelling
>>
>>91060103
>Because chink chonks and asian sympathizers are all unfunny, charmless, autistic morons who never read a good book in their life. They have no sense of responsibility, morality, intelligence and real charm.
This much is true
>>
>>91063640
There's virtually no storytelling in American shows. They are mostly episodic, or have "lore" in them.
>>
>>91063290
Well that explains it. I was wondering when MLP dealt with rape, even implied rape, but I was terrified to ask.
>>
>>91063432
That is just in west.
>>
File: Me happy.png (43KB, 504x393px) Image search: [Google]
Me happy.png
43KB, 504x393px
>>91057322
My biggest problem with anime is how often the characters gasp and overreact to things. One Punch man and Mob Pyscho were a breath of fresh air in that regard, though One Punch man still had a lot of side character that did it quite a bit.
For a non-anime example, I think I would definetly watch an anime similar to always sunny, where like all the characters are lie equally horrible people. So someone comes up with an illegal/immoral plot, instead of gasping and talking about morals, they all accept it, add onto it, or start arguing their version of doing the scheme would be work better.
>>
>>91058029
Nah, the idiot here is you.
>>91059157
>a lot of western animation do give a shit about telling a story, developing characters, etc
and they still suck at it, for the most part
>>
>>91063379
Why cant you enjoy something just because 90% of it sucks? That goes with everything really
>>
>>91059157
>most anime is created to look cool while a lot of western animation do give a shit about telling a story, developing characters, etc
In what parallel universe are American shows engaged in more storytelling than anime?
>>
>>91063640
Read a manga. Manga has some great storytelling
>>
File: 1468570683782.jpg (456KB, 977x914px) Image search: [Google]
1468570683782.jpg
456KB, 977x914px
the average anime is better than the average cartoon

but the best cartoons surpass the best anime

pic unrelated

also, working for an eastern animation company is hell on earth and a dead end job unless you were hired in further to the top (directer, art designer etc.)
>>
>>91063885
>but the best cartoons surpass the best anime
No they do not, unless you are judging them by cartoon standards.

Many directors enter the industry as animators (and don't necessarily stop doing animation), and being an animation director or character designer requires being an animator.
>>
>>91063878
No it doesn't.
It really doesn't.
Read some actual literature you high school faggot.
>>
>>91063804
The problem is killing your brain cells so you can keep enjoying the muck that are 90% of anime. Just read the chart and tell me if the two last points are something normal, sane people should do.
>>
>>91063967
Jap shit sucks. It's all shallow garbage with no meaning, the only benefit of any Jap shit is stylized animation that hooks in autistic people through hypnotism, and that is literally it.
>>
>>91063878

>I've never opened a book in my life
>>
>>91063432
Holy shit this so much.

When I was a teen I loved anime, then I went to college where I wasn't one of only three weeby kids and I went "holy shit fuck all these wapanese Narutards", then after college I realized being an adult meant I could watch whatever the fuck I wanted to. And most adults in the west don't whine for more cartoons because we already have plenty of shows to choose from. Y'know stuff that isn't drawn is still technically art. There's tons of genre shows to choose from. Be honest, shows like Caprica, Westworld, Supernatural, Babylon 5, Doctor Who, Stranger Things, Minority Report... they'd totally get made as anime in Japan.
>>
>>91063967

The best anime also doesn't surpass the best cartoons
>>
>>91063987
Manga does not mean just Dragon Ball or whatever you're thinking of.

>>91063995
You are a try-hard pseudo intellectual.

>>91064042
This is nothing but random nonsense.

>>91064090
Yes they do.
>>
>>91064095
>Yes they do.

Nope
>>
>>91064126
Yes.

You are probably just an ultra-nationalist.
>>
>>91064095
You have autism
>>
>>91063681
Even if there aren't overarching plots, there's a structure to one off gag episodes, and having long plot is no merit on its own. One off gag episodes are still better written than shitty shallow anime plots
>>
File: 1489770954898.jpg (73KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1489770954898.jpg
73KB, 600x900px
>>91064095
>>
>>91063995
Where do you think we are?
>>
File: 1487765351966.jpg (168KB, 1366x1369px) Image search: [Google]
1487765351966.jpg
168KB, 1366x1369px
>>91064095

1/10

Made me reply
>>
>>91057322
Lol hasn't scene any anime besides DBZ and Naruto. Great job op
>>
>>91064149
Autism is a meme. Nobody who is accused of having autism ever has it. Nobody knows what the word means.

>>91064152
>Even if there aren't overarching plots, there's a structure to one off gag episodes
Anime has structure to single episodes and continuity and season-spanning and series-spanning stories.

>One off gag episodes are still better written than shitty shallow anime plots
Except these "shitty shallow anime plots" are just a strawman of your invention.

>>91064159
Your point?
>>
>>91063480
>GITS
>overrated
>>
>>91064181
I wasn't trolling. You either don't know what trolling means or you're lying. Which is it?
>>
File: 1462006486283.png (2MB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
1462006486283.png
2MB, 1136x640px
The west gave us Metal and Warhammer 40,000

Thus it is superior by default
>>
>>91064065
Well i havent but why do you hate anime and manga so much?
>>
I'll never get sick of /co/'s never ending inferiority complex.
>>
>>91063755
The closest thing I can think of to this was Nerima Daikon Bros. - at least, NDB as I remember it. It's about a broke-ass trio of lounge singers, the greedy, vapid cute girl, the degenerate fatass who wants to fuck her (despite her being his cousin/imouto? I don't member which), and the disaffected "cool" guy who is secretly one of those host club manwhores. IIRC they're all pretty equally comic sociopaths, and it's by the creator of Excel Saga but with a bit more focus than that show... but I last saw it when I was 18 or so and my tolerance for LOLSORANDOM was higher so, your mileage may vary.
>>
>>91064198
>Except these "shitty shallow anime plots" are just a strawman of your invention.
You're telling me /a/nime doesn't abuse the fuck out of "characters hate each other now because of a misunderstanding that could literally be resolved in 10 words or less if the characters weren't so cripplingly Japanese"? Because while western cartoons do dumb misunderstanding based conflict, I've seen less of it over the years - anime will drag that shit out for 10 to 12 episodes, and a clipshow.
>>
>>91064403
So because some anime have poorly written instances of characters hating each other due to a misunderstanding, anime as a whole has "shitty shallow plots"?
>>
>>91064403
>"characters hate each other now because of a misunderstanding that could literally be resolved in 10 words or less if the characters weren't so cripplingly Japanese"
Minus the cripplingly Japanese part, western media is also guilty of doing this shit.

So why do you turn a blind eye when the west does this, while getting mad at anime for it?
>>
>>91057322
Anime was of higher quality in the 80s and 90s when otakus were not yet the primary audience of most anime. Thats not to say there aren't good otaku anime but what a lot of people don't realize is that most anime is either for kids or otaku and most normal Japanese people only watch adaptions of popular manga because they know of it by name. The vast majority of anime from the past 2 decades is kids shows you've never heard of and low budget adaptations of manga or LNs/VNs that only got 1 or 2 seasons and served to promote the source material or make a cheap buck for some studio.
>>
>>91064403
Oh i hate that too but it doesnt mean every anime does that.
>>
>>91064466
Because I have to show you... show you all the power of the truth! I'll oust you all as the hypocrites you are!

*becomes surrounded by a fucking kicka$$ power aura*

heh.......
>>
>5 hours ago
>the thread is still up
>>
>>91064475
Anime was never higher quality but i do like 80s art style most
>>
>>91064198
>Anime has structure to single episodes and continuity and season-spanning and series-spanning stories.
Sure they do, their structure is "let's stretch this manga chapter as many episodes as possible"
When manga writers try to give depth to their stories, it's always the most shallow, basic shit you can imagine. If you want some deep edginess, you talk about the human greed, like wow, this world is rotten; if you want a moral of the story, it's the power of love wins in the end.
God forbid you have a morally ambiguous protagonist, that's the most edgy thing a manga can do (and they aren't really morally ambiguous for long, like Kira, the manga will let you know which side you should be rooting for).

>>91064095
It's funny, because Dragon Ball is one of the better manga out there. It doesn't try to pretend it's more than it is, and the adventures are fun.
>>
>>91064466
I literally went on to explain in the next sentence, that while western media does this, I don't see it as often as I do in anime. And anime does other crap that frustrates me, but I don't want to turn this into a blog post - I just want to point out that arguing that "shitty shallow anime plots" just cold do not exist is retarded.

I submit into evidence, the entirety of Gundam Wing.
>>
>>91064475
The "otakus" are a figment of your imagination. They don't exist. "Otaku anime" doesn't exist. They are something you people have made up.

>low budget adaptations of manga or LNs/VNs that only got 1 or 2 seasons and served to promote the source material or make a cheap buck for some studio.
Oh no, not low budgets. American shows have much higher budgets than anime, yet their quality is also abysmal by comparison.

A show having only 1 or 2 seasons does not by itself mean anything.

Promoting the source material is something that's been done since the very first anime.

And yes, studios do indeed accept contracts in exchange for money. What were you expecting?
>>
>>91064565
>Sure they do, their structure is "let's stretch this manga chapter as many episodes as possible"
The structure depends on the show and what source material--if any--it is adapting.

>When manga writers try to give depth to their stories
Depends on the manga.

>God forbid you have a morally ambiguous protagonist
There are morally ambiguous protagonists, but there is nothing intrinsically praiseworthy about having one.
>>
>>91064565
Stop reading shounen manga
>>
>>91064589
>THE OTAKU DOES NOT EXIST
>THEY DON'T EXIST
>THEY DO NOOOOT EXIST
>THEY ARE SOMETHING THAT YOU MADE UP.
>Now let me excuse all the faults of these low-budget, mediocre series without actually disproving any of your points, just basically going "YEAH SO?"
No, anon, YOU are the Otaku.
>>
>>91064667
What do you recommend?
>>
>>91064693
I meant exactly what I said. They don't exist. You've made them up. Greentexting is not going to help you here.

>>Now let me excuse all the faults of these low-budget
Why are you under the impression that budget determines everything? It doesn't.

>mediocre series
What mediocre series? You never specified any.

>without actually disproving any of your points
But I did.
>>
>>91064711
Seinen. Read Emma that is one of the best done romance and it doesnt take place in japan
>>
>>91057322
>used to think Anime is great and western cartoons are shit when I was 16
>now 5 years later I think the opposite and barely watch anime anymore

You can't explain that
>>
>>91064589
You don't seriously believe normalfags in Japan watch those fan service heavy shows that run fron midnight to 2am right?
>>
File: 1480946574232.jpg (994KB, 4500x4334px) Image search: [Google]
1480946574232.jpg
994KB, 4500x4334px
>>91064095
>saying dragon Ball is a bad manga
>all this autism
YOOOOOOOO
>>
>>91064766
I never said anything like that.

>>91064782
I was responding to:
>Read some actual literature you high school faggot.
>>
>>91057322
I think what OP's saying is correct.
On AVERAGE, anime is much worse than western cartoons, due to the specific market it's pandering to.

For obvious reasons, the best of either medium is not comparable, because then other elements become much more important rather than whether or not it's made in the east or west.
>>
This thread needs to die.
>>
>>91064834
>On AVERAGE, anime is much worse than western cartoons
No it isn't.

>due to the specific market it's pandering to.
Pandering doesn't exist.
>>
>>91064799
>I never said anything like that.
Okay then think about how these things get funded. If normal people dont watch them they certainly arent buying discs.
>>
>>91063502

I don't think you know what objective means.
>>
Why are weebs so insecure?
>>
>>91064902
They aren't for mainstream viewers and I never said they are.

>>91064904
I do.
>>
Wanna know the sad part? Most of animation in the U.S. during the `70s was stuck in the Scooby phase while anime evolved from Disney pastiches into a whole new breed of beast.
When the 80s came, we had to outsource cartoons to Japan just to catch up
>>
>>91064961
"Weebs" aren't insecure, American animation fans are.
>>
>>91064961
Why are anons so insecure?
>>
>>91064964
So then they're for otaku?
>>
>>91065032
Maybe, but the "otaku" you people talk about don't exist. They're something you've made up.
>>
What's a good anime that came out in 2016?
>>
>>91057322
Only thing shallow is your head.
>>
>>91064240
kek, good one
>>
If you watch cartoons or anime for anything but the animation, please kill yourself.
>>
>>91065201
I watch anime mostly for characters.
>>
>>91065201
Why should animation be the only thing that matters?
>>
>>91065252
Because it's a medium that revolves around tricking the viewer into thinking whatever on screen is actually moving. Animation is the forefront, everything else is just excess.
>>
>>91065062
Raguko, mob psycho, flying witch and season 5 of Natsume yuujinchou. It was better year than 2015 was
>>
>>91065277
>Because it's a medium that revolves around tricking the viewer into thinking whatever on screen is actually moving.
This does nothing to justify your claim.
>>
File: yqHxF.png (340KB, 876x1400px) Image search: [Google]
yqHxF.png
340KB, 876x1400px
>>91063062
>Thinks the early story arcs have any bearing on the kino that is modern jojo.

Fuck off with your ignorance, the latest story arcs are nothing like the originals cheesyness
>>
>>91065317
Yes it does you retard.
>>
>>91065369
Anime is not just about staring at animation, it's also about filmmaking and storytelling.
>>
>>91064863
Motherfucker, I saw the first episode of an anime that was LITERALLY "an otaku is appointed as Japan's official ambassador to the world of animeee" and it climaxed (literally) with him jizzing in his pants from being in the same room as a loli. Don't tell me otaku pandering doesn't exist.
>>
>>91065414
Something is not pandering just because you don't like it. If you want to prove it's pandering you have to demonstrate that the author was engaged in pandering rather than making something that interested him. So far nobody has proven that anything like that has ever happened.
>>
>>91065384
Anime is about being an androgynous faggot who's mouth moves in two frames only
>>
>>91058058
Huh. As far as anime goes only DiU is good. All other arcs are all right at best.
t. Jojofag
>>
>>91066228
This is random nonsense.
>>
This thread proved to me that anime fans are easier to offend than teenagers on tumblr.
>>
>>91066419
Why are you trying to shift blame?
>>
>>91064240
good taste my dude
>>
>>91057322
On the whole it's shit, but they make more of it.
>>
>>91063290
I still like that pasta
>>
>>91060156
There's a difference between a genre and a subcategory. Anime, and to a larger extent cartoons, aren't a genre. They're a subcategory of film with their own unique styles
>>
>>91057322
Stuff like Spawn is the freakish exception, but for everything else why bother to defend Western animation when even the producers don't respect the medium? There's a reason so little of it can even manage drama or a serious story and why almost all the stuff aimed at adults is filled with gross out humor. Animation is seen as a shitty diversion for kids who haven't yet developed the ability to discern quality. Really, with this attitude:

>>91060098

Shitting on it is perfectly justified, particularly when there are guys like Miyazaki with artistic integrity. Animation is just another medium. It doesn't have to be shit, but in the West it is, not because the medium or the tools are garbage but because the artists working with them are.
>>
>>91065277
It's like you skimmed over the wiki definition of animation and are trying to force it into conversation
>>
>>91057322
America is mostly the same, by doing the same things over albeit different things, I'm often annoyed by the overuse of American sensibilities in your cartoons as much as I am by Japanese sensibilities in theirs. My country doesn't make any cartoons (that aren't for pre-schoolers) though, so I have to make do with your world views, morals, fantasies and, worse of all, humour (American humour is complete garbage, I can see why memes are so popular over there when referencing things is what American humour is mostly comprised of) that are all different from my own. I'm not complaining though.
>>
>>91060523
This was my journey with video games.
>>
>>91060523
I thought the puic would be Dunning Krruger effect
>>
File: pony rides.gif (287KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
pony rides.gif
287KB, 160x160px
>>91060229
It's always been an interesting subject how something so simple can be so endearing for a show.

Though from what I've gathered, there's subtle complexities in how the characters act and especially how they're introduced and developed (with the main character playing the skeptic as much as the watcher) that takes people off guard. Generally, however, if you ask a fan, they will mostly give different answers, ranging from simply, "It's cute." to "Its a show that has heart put into it." all the way to "Endearing and relatable characters, combined with a progressing story, relatively realistic motives, and nice music." But the general effect over any of them will simply lead up to "It makes me feel genuinely happy."

Thus I suppose that the copypasta is right in that a show formatted like this jumpstarted a new passion and technique in animation and storytelling in general, (Undertale, Steven Universe, Star and the Forces of Evil, etc) with the downside of perhaps starting the era of "fandoms" as a side effect of this new character-driven pattern. But yeah... There is definitely something deeper here that needs to be researched.
Thread posts: 157
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.