[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>vidya gets a cartoon >it's bad why does this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 18

File: hq720.jpg (82KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
hq720.jpg
82KB, 1280x720px
>vidya gets a cartoon
>it's bad

why does this always happen?
>>
>>91056809
Because the people making the cartoon usually don't bother to research the source material.

There are some exceptions however, such as Sonic Boom.
>>
File: FL8HNCP.jpg (103KB, 1200x649px) Image search: [Google]
FL8HNCP.jpg
103KB, 1200x649px
>>91057052
In the case of Sonic Boom, it feels like they know their source material a little too well...
>>
>tfw want a Metroid cartoon but know it'd probably be complete shit
>>
>>91056809
>cartoon gets vidya
>it's bad

Works the other way too, friendo.
>>
>>91056809
Because for some reason, the dumb suits in charge always think that a video game cartoon centered around a famous video game character can't stand up on it's on with the children of today and think they can "save" it by cramming in every children's cartoon cliche they can think of. Usually, it never works, but they'll keep trying anyway until it finally works.
>>
>>91056809
Still looks more like Megaman than Battle Network, ZX, and Star Force.
>>
>>91056809
I know I can point towards Earthworm Jim and Sonic SatAM for good video game cartoons, try checking those out.
>Also Ruby Spears Megaman wasn't that bad, a few duds (I'm looking at you Lion Men) but overall decent for what it tried to do.
>>
>>91056809
i haven't even bothered to check, is this shit out or is there a promo of it?, if so, how bad the trainwreck is looking?
>>
>>91057149
>What is Spongebob SquarePants: Operation Bikini Bottom?
>What is The Simpsons arcade?
>What is Duck Tales?
>What is South Park: Stick of Truth?
>>
>>91057105
This is a case of them researching the fanbase and making digs and in-jokes about said fanbase.

Game to cartoon adaptations should learn from Sonic Boom. It's a prime example of how to make good comedy for an IP.
>>
>>91056809
IT'S
>>
>>91057635
MEGA
>>
>>91057641
MUMMIES
>>
DIC's Mario and Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog were good. Long John Baldry was the best Robotnik
>>
File: v-related cartoons.png (3MB, 1000x3288px) Image search: [Google]
v-related cartoons.png
3MB, 1000x3288px
>>
>>91058301

Wait. Carmen Sandiego started as as game?
>>
>>91058339
Yes. I had it on floppy disc when I was a kid. Thanks for making me feel old there.
>>
>>91058339
Educational PC games.
>>
>>91058368
>Floppy Disk
I remember my Dad having a bunch of those in his room when I was young, never knew what they were as a kid.
>>
>>91058301
>Darkstalkers
>Good for a laugh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfzdUQbeHpg
I... I just can't...
>>
File: 124123421.jpg (480KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
124123421.jpg
480KB, 1920x1080px
>>91057121
>1990 kids have their first sexual awakening to a 6'3" blue eyed, blonde haired badass
>2020 kids also have their first sexual awakening to the same 6'3" blue eyed, blonde haired badass
A well done Metroid cartoon would be absolutely top-tier
>>
>>91057105
They must have gotten the same researchers as the Sonic the Hedgehog official channel. I love those guys.
>>
>>91059076
They don't have any "researchers", they just hire fans from the community to handle Sonic's online pr. Similar to how they hired competent fans to develop Sonic Mania.
>>
The people who are given these projects rately care about the source material, and talented writers are rarely handed licensed products as they would better serve the company working on IPs they own or creating new content.

On the flipside, enthusiastic fans rarely make good stuff because they're too beholden to the source. See; Archie's Mega Man comic.
>>
>>91059974
So instead of pandering to the fans sega let sonic be made by the fans.
That's so smart
>>
>>91057328
>SatAM
>Good
FUCK no.

Putting aside the lazy character designs, the cruddy color pallette (there's other ways to denote an oppressive mood than desaturated blues/earth tones and grays, you know!), the ABYSMAL sound direction and terribly low animation budget, the writing was just wank in nearly every way.

Half the core cast was barely utilized in the first season and outright ignored in the second. The characters at large were one note/role and never had meaningful agency, relevance or development. Most of the recurring characters who got screentime were terrible comic relief with one joke apiece. There's no variety in most of the episodes beyond tired gimmicks slapped on top of the standard episode outline, but the few episodes that DO break the formula are just stock episodes like the haunted camping trip. The writers rely on deus ex machina so hard that all tension is nullified and it's hard to squeeze more than an ounce of creativity out of the series' full run.

It is a terrible, terrible cartoon that is only remembered fondly for its tone, a few clever moments, and the fact that it bothered to put in the money to have detailed backgrounds and draw characters consistently.
>>
>>91062021
SatAM is also where Sonic started getting stuck up its ass and needing a darker tone and is where most of the weirdos in the fandom came from.
>>
>>91062021
Alright then, what do you think about Earthworm Jim?
>>
>>91062227
You can't blame it for that. It's an inevitability of how he was marketed, just like the insistence that the games must be immediately fast and gratifying rather than rewarding good play with speed and being really quick to speedrun.
>>
>>91062330

The Gotta Go Fast meme needs to die.
>>
>>91059063
Depends. If they go the classic route of the game and only """"reveal"""" that she's a girl in very scarce circumstances for added impact, and samus should only talk in dramatic situations samurai jack-esque

But you know it's just going to devolve into sjw shit like OH MAN LOOK AT ME IM A WOMAN CHECK IT OUT STRONG INDEPENDANT WOMAN BRING IT UP EVERY EPISODE
>>
>>91058301
but wheres Kirby?!
>>
>>91058301
Wait, Reboot was a game first?
>>
>>91062321
One of the best video game cartoons.

It's pretty well written and animated on average, plays to the strengths of its premise, has a small but effective cast of recurring characters and a fun villain roster, and has great voice work.

It's not perfect and feels a bit like it was imitating the recent successes at Disney and WB (especially Darkwing Duck and the Spielberg cartoons; it premiered around the same time as Freakazoid and their humor is noticibly similar), but overall it was a pretty good show
>>
File: 1450950252037.jpg (16KB, 324x271px) Image search: [Google]
1450950252037.jpg
16KB, 324x271px
>>91062021
I watched SatAM in recent years, and though a lot of the mystique is obviously not there for an adult, it's really not as bad as you make it out to be. Sure the animation turns to ass in places, sure Sonic's bullshit power level nullifies certain threats really anti-climatically, but the characters are pretty fun. Some ideas are pretty well executed, and there's not a lot of shows with a similar atmosphere.
>>
File: 1432254937400.jpg (331KB, 600x967px) Image search: [Google]
1432254937400.jpg
331KB, 600x967px
>>91062463

Incoming meme opinion: I think Genndy Tartoofsomething could handle a Metroid cartoon pretty well. He really understands the concept of a silent character who's reserved, but not soulless like a robot. Infact, I think we can all agree that Samurai Jack is basically a male version of Samus, except unlike Samus's debut in Metroid Other M, Jack actually came back with dignity.
>>
File: tumblr_ohwxhe9pDU1szcxzqo2_1280.jpg (306KB, 707x1000px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ohwxhe9pDU1szcxzqo2_1280.jpg
306KB, 707x1000px
>>91062880
You could argue there are a lot of parallel heroes to Samurai Jack, since a great deal of video game protagonists don't do a lot of talking.
>>
>>91056809
Were is my kingdom hearts movie/cartoon.
>>
>>91063004
What a nightmare, trying to re-explain that convoluted plot.
>>
>>91062550

Kirby had an ANIME

Besides, it was nothing like the games
>>
>>91063090
Agreed. I didn't like them turning Kirby into a baby. But I award them bonus points for making Lolo and Lala show up.
>>
>>91063065
It can just be on the plot of the first game.
>>
>>91062690
>a lot of the mystique is obviously not there for an adult
I hated it as a child. I was convinced in my adolesence that I must have just been too harsh on it, but after having watched the whole thing no less than four times I'm adamant that it's just a bad show.

The pilot was actually really good, and select episodes like Sonic's Nightmare have a cleverness to them in little sparks, but as a whole the show fails to deliver.

Like, shit man. You're saying stuff like
>the characters are fun
when Bunnie and Rotor don't even HAVE personalities beyond Southern Belle and Smart Guy, Antoine and Dulcy are literally one joke over and over, and Tails barely exists. I loved these characters in the comics, but Sally and Sonic are the only things approaching characters in the show.

Please, don't hide behind reaction images and offer up weak retorts to a laundry list of problems. Actually dig deep into the show, really analyze it for what it is. If you don't agree with me that's fine, but it sounds like you're just hung up on a combination of nostalgia and novelty.
>>
>>91063004
Where the fuck is my TWEWY anime?

Oh right. It waited too long and isn't fashionable anymore. Got fucking dammit.
>>
>>91063004
>Cut out a picture of Sora
>Wiggle it around in front of your face while binging Disney movies
>Write a fanfic afterwards

There you go.
>>
File: shantae_gang.jpg (369KB, 829x862px) Image search: [Google]
shantae_gang.jpg
369KB, 829x862px
>Shantae will never get a good animated series based off its characters.
>>
>>91063583
>I hated it as a child.
Good for you. This is worthless to offer up as evidence though. You hated it. So fucking what? My point was explaining why certain OTHER people hold it in high regard, because CLEARLY some people do.

>Please, don't hide behind reaction images and offer up weak retorts to a laundry list of problems.
Don't offer all your own dirty laundry and assert it's everyone else's. Just because I included a reaction image in my post doesn't mean you get to shrug off everything I've said.

>Actually dig deep into the show, really analyze it for what it is.
I did. I fucking explained that I did. Do you want me to make a bulletpoint for every single thing you've said? I'm not interested in arguing every single point because often times I just disagree with a sentiment.

But you will never hear me defend Dulcy. Fuck Dulcy.
>>
>>91057121
More like netflix series
>>
>>91059063
>a metroid cartoon...

i might be hallucinating or something, but i'm sure i have heard about a metroid cartoon around the 90s, maybe a translated ova or something, broadcasted in mexico.
>>
>>91057387
Just a promo that's been DCMAed up the wazoo.

At best, it's going to be something really far off from the base game like ZX advent. He looks like a boy with a sentai transformation.

On the minus side is that he starts with some poochie looking mini mega in his helmet.

No sign of light or willy.

Oh, and they gave Fire Man a mouth.
>>91058339
Like 30 years ago.
>>
>>91063004
You know what's WORSE than the plot nightmare there? The licencing nightmare.
>>
>>91064320

Have disney make the cartoon. Problem solved.
>>
>>91064401
>>91064320
Thats what i want, it needs to be the new major Disney animated film, kids would love king micky
>>
>>91063853
>This is worthless to offer up as evidence though.
I brought it up because you said it doesn't hold the same mystique for adults. I'm disagreeing with that, saying that I appreciated it even less as a child. It's silly that you're just more directly stating what I implied: your personal impressions on it are yours alone, not an excuse or evaluation.

>Don't offer all your own dirty laundry and assert it's everyone else's. Just because I included a reaction image in my post doesn't mean you get to shrug off everything I've said.
You don't see the hypocrisy here, do you?
You shrugged off everything I had to say and retorted with what was essentially "but I liked it." I'm not saying that because I think these are problems that everyone does; I'm saying you have nothing of substance to say, but you're acting as if you're making an argument.

And, just saying, I didn't shrug off anything. You only made three points, one of which I explained my feelings on in detail.

>I did. I fucking explained that I did.
No, you explained you rewatched it. You haven't expressed any sort of analytical thought or observation at all, just agreed with a few things I said and mentioned you liked the characters and novelty.

>Do you want me to make a bulletpoint for every single thing you've said?
You don't have to respond to a single thing I say. I'm just asking that you make arguments with some sort of meat to them instead of being sassy, posting passive-aggressive images, and offering up a non conversation.

Seriously, anything buddy. "The writing is actually strong because...," "I think Rotor has more character than you give him credit for. What about...," "The color choices are great and here's why!" Something that can actually be discussed.
>>
>>91056809
Safety response, they don't need to try?

Mario show? people know what mario is, so they will check out even if is crap
>>
>>91056809
The movies are bad because they make some half assed (actually half assed is if you're lucky, most of the time it feels like only the name is the same) attempt to adapt something and none of the characters, motivations, or plots are the same in most cases. The most successful example is resident evil and it suffers from most of this but I guess they put some effort in some things bullshit their way through a lot of other stuff that many would consider important. Shows rarely have these issues and usually bad because the creators of said show are trying to make the next big satuday morning cartoon, are trying to cram lessons everywhere, make decisions that are generally bad, etc. A lot of these don't even need to be on any sort of screen that is not interactive, like neither battlefield no Pac Man have stories yet they have a movie and a cartoon. The best way is to adapt something with adventure but can be given a new story that still gives people what they enjoy from the games. Megaman, Sly, Sonic, Ratchet & Clank, Tak , etc. should be easy to do this but some of those never got a show and the ones that did don't have the best track records. If you're gonna adapt something sell a game franchise at least make something halfway decent. As much as some comic fans complain about not being faithful, games have always had it far worse and don't seem to ever been getting much better.
>>
>>91062964
But all Doomguy wants to do is kill and Demons just happen to show up.
>>
>>91059063
I hate to say it since it's a hot topic right now, but I think a Metroid cartoon in the format of Samurai Jack could be good. More or less the original format, where he silently went on adventures every episode and sometimes got into fights.
>>
>>91065257
>Metroid has NEVER been a money maker for Nintendo.
Super and Prime were both very profitable games, anon.

It's not a tentpole, but it was definitely a monetary success.
>>
>>91065402
Other M is some of the worst character assassination I've ever seen.
>>
>>91064320
Disney owns all the original content produced for the games. They don't even need the Final Fantasy characters, they could replace them with OCs or more Disney characters.
>>
>>91065697
Are you going to regale us with a manifesto about why Aqua's a terrible unrealistic character because she's a woman with competent combat ability?
>>
File: 1490450538609.png (426KB, 909x591px) Image search: [Google]
1490450538609.png
426KB, 909x591px
Why do they keep making series for long dead game series? Or series that people stopped giving a shit about many years ago?

Pac Man, then Megaman using the 8bit sprite on the logo. And it is supposed to be a show for kids, when the 8bit games came out almost thirty years ago. Is anyone asking for these series at all?
>>
>>91065867
Because they're still the most iconic and marketable video game characters.

What did you think Stubbly Bald Dude With a Gun could mainline a cartoon?
>>
>>91056809
Tell me ONE good cartoon, comic or live action adaptation of a video game. Just one.
>>
>>91065867
>sonic
>long dead

>Mega Man
>fucking incompetently handled by Capcom

>Pac-Man
>i don't know what drugs Namco has
>>
>>91062590
Well, it HAD a game, but the whole show was about being in computer games, which makes it pretty /v/-related
>>91063004
There's a rumour going round that it MIGHT finally get made.
>>91065928
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZZl4EP67Tw
>>
>>91064591
All I'll say on the matter, since I don't care about this anymore is: The points you presented are just small nitpicks against the larger product. Are they valid? Sure, a couple of them. But they don't make it the show a "terrible, terrible cartoon" You clearly have a massive hate boner and even did as a child by your own admission. So I don't value your "thoughtful" analysis as completely unbiased. Conversely, you clearly think my view is entirely based on nostalgia, but I can acknowledge the shortcomings. I just don't go on paragraph-long rants on a cartoon board over what amounts to minor nitpicks.

Get over it. Like, damn dude.
>>
>>91065867

Fuck you, Sonic Boom is great.
>>
>>91057328
AoStH>SatAM
>>
>>91066014
>I don't care about this anymore
Not to be snarky, but you wouldn't have replied if that was true.

>The points you presented are just small nitpicks against the larger product.
Okay, no. I accused the sound direction and writing to be extremely bad and half the cast of being entirely inconsequential. It's fine if you don't agree, but those aren't nitpicks. That's a claim that the show is fucked on a fundamental level.

>I just don't go on paragraph-long rants on a cartoon board over what amounts to minor nitpicks. Get over it. Like, damn dude.

Do you have zero self-awareness, or did you intentionally insult me for explaining why I don't like a cartoon before asking me to get over it?

For real, if you just disagree with me that's fine, but I'd rather discuss the cartoon on this cartoon discussion board than trade insults and act sassy just because we have different opinions.
>>
>>91058301

There was a Tom Raider cartoon? And it was "good"?
>>
>>91066498
Everything that isn't complete garbage (sans Sonic Boom) is in God Mode tier for some reason.
>>
File: mpv-shot0004.jpg (197KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0004.jpg
197KB, 1280x720px
>IT'S NIGGER TIME!

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>91066612
He meant it's time to steal from other robots.
>>
File: papi_thumbs_up.png (167KB, 1080x899px) Image search: [Google]
papi_thumbs_up.png
167KB, 1080x899px
>>91066669
>>
>>91057052
The cartoon in the 90's was pretty damn good as well.

Sonic's got way more successes with animated TV under his belt than he realistically should.
>>
>>91066735
Adventures was pretty good, yeah. Not great, but pretty good.
>>
>>91066669
Subtle.
>>
>>91065738
Micky, donald and goofy have all battled before goofy even nearly died.
>>
>>91057105
Is that Chris?
>>
>>91066005
Anon dont you dare get my hopes up.
This song better be somewhere in the movie either at the end or the beginning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im5tc4fcg5w This is why i want a movie so much it would just work.
>>
>>91066874
Yes.

In another episode they play a new video game and comment that 2 was the best one, the 3D games suck, and changing the main character's arm color was a mistake.
>>
>>91056809
Because vydia is a medium that doesn't use the same narrative means as those that are just there to tell a story, they're a terrible source for adaptations by nature. That's why all its protagonists are bland as fuck for example.
I'd post a link to a video that explains it better than I do but it's in French so it's probably not worth it.
>>
>>91066951
>they're a terrible source for adaptations by nature. That's why all its protagonists are bland as fuck for example.
This is nearly as stupid as "action movies are inherently poorly written."

There's plenty of well written games, and even shit material can easily be adapted into a good story.
>>
>>91066912
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99hSFcl5LK4
>>
>>91062463
>But you know it's just going to devolve into sjw shit like OH MAN LOOK AT ME IM A WOMAN CHECK IT OUT STRONG INDEPENDANT WOMAN BRING IT UP EVERY EPISODE
As long as we keep the SJWs away from it, it ought to be good.

>>91062880
>>91064918
This is what you guys, me, and everyone else wants. It's so unrealistic but it'd be a perfect fit.
>>
>>91067030
Even well written video games are told in a different manner than a well written cartoon, notably because it's usually told from the protag's POV.
Sure you can write around a shitty premise, but you're still going to be struggling with including things from the game simply for the purpose of adaptation.

Let's use the example Karim Debbache (the guy who made the video I was speaking of) used: Mario.
Mario fights mushrooms because their shape inform the player you're supposed to jump on them, koopa troopas are equally designed to showcase what you can do with their shell, not for any sort of narrative reason. That's great game design but it doesn't translate at all narratively. Same goes for Megaman's or Sonic's universes.
Again, you can make it work, but it's always going to be lesser than something that was designed to tell a story.

And yes there are games that are designed around a narrative, but that's usually not good game design, and very rarely are those people ask for adaptations of. And they still often run into the issue of bland POV protag.

A game's job is not primarily to tell a story.
>>
>>91067985
And a novel isn't fit for adaptation in animation because details will inevitably be lost, the ambiguity of written word will not be communicated, and things meant to invoke ideas via rhthm and tone don't transfer at all.

You're referring to an inherent problem with adaptation in general. It has nothing to do with whether it's a video game or book or stage play. Things must be changed in the conversion process and previously important details are now superfluous. That's just how it works.
>>
>>91068141
>>91068141
I don't think it's as comparable as you put it. Again: the issue is not (at all) that some things get lost in translation, it's that you're adapting something that wasn't designed to tell a story. There's really not much worth adapting at all in general, people want vydia adaptations because they're attached to the IP, not because there's actually a story to tell.
I don't think that's a good reason (creatively), as an original concept would inherently be superior simply because it's made to tell a story.
A novel is still made to tell a story.

Hey you're free to disagree but I have yet to see a vydia adaptation that reaches audiences in a notable way beyond the IP's built-in fanbase.
Even the best vydia adaptations would never make it to 99.9% of people's favorite cartoons or movies.
>>
File: 250px-RBFF_Box.jpg (28KB, 250x375px) Image search: [Google]
250px-RBFF_Box.jpg
28KB, 250x375px
You know what would be a great Netflix animated series?

Fatal Fury.
>>
>>91057121
It's gotta be like Samurai Jack or bust.
>>
Because the people making it don't care about the source material. That's literally all there it to it.
>>
>>91068461
>I don't think that's a good reason (creatively), as an original concept would inherently be superior simply because it's made to tell a story.
There is so much assumption here it's staggering. Like really. Original content is not inherently superior in any way. People make garbage all the fucking time. Being interactive does not stop a game from bring story focused: we've had story focused games since the fucking 80's.

That aside, there's some damn fine video game related comics and novellas, for example. You can turn up your nose to stuff like Dai no Daiboken if you like, but Ariga's Klonoa and Rockman comics, for example, are good reads regardless of familiarity with the IP.

The same extends outside of video games as well. Some of Marvel's classics are god damn toy ads. ROM SpaceKnight is a GEM of a comic, but it's an adaptation of the background info for a fucking DOLL. There's no narrative to adapt, yet it made for a great story.
>>
>>91066498
Episodes written by Peter Chung, Gail Simone and Warren Ellis, to name but three.
>>91068546
Wasn't there an anime?
>>
>>91068967
The fact that people tell shit original stories doesn't contradict my point though, and I explained why story-driven games still run into issues.

I'm pleb as fuck regarding manga so I'll take your word that it provides counter-examples.

ROM space-knight kind of makes my point: there really isn't much that was actually adapted from its source. There's nothing that being adapted from an existing IP actually added to it, and it didn't work against an established lore either. It's different from most of vydia that actually have a lot of fluff to adapt that doesn't make narrative sense, and that people expect from those adaptations.
>>
>>91069293
The ROM toy had more fluff behind it than Mario did when he was being adapted to the big screen and TV.

The problem with your point is that it's so extremely specific that it means nothing and holds no relevance to the discussion. Any game with heavy story emphasis doesn't count because most games aren't like that. Games being adapted in ways that resort to adding new material don't count either. So what you're left with is "Directly converting a game with no story without embellishments is hard. And...yeah. But nobody DOES that, so it doesn't even fucking matter to say that. You're trying to make a sweeping statement that barely applies to anything, which is moronic.
>>
>>91056809
Mega Man is headed for the shitter because the guys at Man of Action weren't fans of the series when they got the job and the fan bitching (which is warranted to an extent) is probably going to kill off any goodwill they have.
>>
>>91069633
But the fluff in ROM was made to tell a story, not to tell the audience that you can go down tubes.

You're twisting my words a lot, since I never implied something "doesn't count", but alright. I didn't mean to say it's impossible to make an entertaining adaptation, I was replying to OP asking why good adaptations are so rare: the source material is poorly suited.
>>
>>91070002
>But the fluff in ROM was made to tell a story, not to tell the audience that you can go down tubes.
The fluff in ROM was made to go on the back of a fucking box so kids would beg mom to butmy it and so they could produce more toys in the future, not to tell a story.

But that aside, what you're claiming isn't the problem. It's the very mindset you're expressing. Almost every video game adaptation takes the same route as ROM, but to an even more extreme degree. The people in charge of these things believe that video games are unlike other media and must be reformed to a more familiar appearance. Most adaptations aren't bad because they try to bring over incompatible elements, but because they change arbitrary elements to create an unfocused mess. Visual iconography isn't exclusivevto interactivity; you don't have to redesign the Goomba, the idea carries just fine into a cartoon.

The problem isn't the medium. It's idiots overthinking it and trying to "fix" things instead of telling a good story with the IP.
>>
>>91069062
2 OVAs and a movie but I want one closer to the Fatal Fury canon.
>>
>>91070633
You can just watch the Pachislot cutscenes :^)
>>
File: Dreamcaster_speaks.png (616KB, 960x512px) Image search: [Google]
Dreamcaster_speaks.png
616KB, 960x512px
>>91066918
Don't forget about the heinous villain, Dreamcaster.
>>
>>91066669
Underrated
>>
>bad not a single episode has aired

you what m8
>>
>>91056809

Wait, is this out already? Is that how we know it's bad?

Or is it based on a 30 second teaser and promo art?
>>
>>91056809
because a videogame was meant to be, for all intents and purposes, just a videogame
>>
>>91059063
You Nintendo Power headcanon will never be anyone's awakening, Dobson.
>>
>>91070931
>>91070967
>IT'S MEGA TIME
>MEGANIZE ME!
>Good
M8 pls
>>
File: smugly.jpg (88KB, 789x725px) Image search: [Google]
smugly.jpg
88KB, 789x725px
>>91062021
faggot
>>
>>91057612
>forgetting Simpsons: Hit and Run
>>
File: latest[1].png (100KB, 297x550px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
100KB, 297x550px
>>91071920
Yeah, it was so much cooler when they shouted MEGA MERGE
>>
File: face.jpg (24KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
face.jpg
24KB, 480x360px
I really liked the dead space animated shit
>>
>>91072005
It was better, as bad as it was.
R.O.C.K. ON! is a great henshin cry, you little fuck.
>>
>>91058301
Sonic Boom belongs in God.

Jesus christ wtf happend to that Dimitri?
>>
>>91072826
The fucking 90's happened. Darkstalkers sucked hard. At least Bison was enjoyably insane in the SF cartoon.
>>
>>91072940
I used to wake up at 5:30 in the morn to watch this show. It has now become apparent that many memories related to it have been blocked due to being serve trauma.

>>91070478
I'd also add making it their own as well to the list of why they suck. Even video game animes tend to suck most of the time. Most just coast on the IP and tits to reach average.
>>
>>91057121
Does Metroid even need a cartoon?

The games are about Samus being alone on a planet. She typically doesn't even have villains to interact with, her enemies are giant monsters save for Ridley.

Their attempts to include supporting characters in Other M failed resoundingly.

They tried to expand the setting outside of Samus with Federation Force and look at how people reacted to its mere existence.

And even as someone who posts both the manga and Nintendo Power comic on this board every time a game is released, the comics are not very good.

Metroid works as a video game BECAUSE there are no other characters, and because there's no stories to tell outside of the player's own experiences. It's something you can only do in games.
>>
>>91073582
Ridley is also a giant monster, anon.
>>
File: 1470593808166.gif (4MB, 294x250px) Image search: [Google]
1470593808166.gif
4MB, 294x250px
>>91065867

Why does pacman have a gun?

WHY DOES PACMAN HAVE A GUN?!!
>>
File: 10a[1].gif (2MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
10a[1].gif
2MB, 480x270px
>>91073670
>>
>>91073711
Surprisingly quick and apt.
>>
>>91073582
>Does Metroid even need a cartoon?

As has been said whenever the topic comes up: Samurai Jack in Space.
>>
>>91073943
Better comparison: that one trooper in Clone Wars.

You know the one.
>>
>>91074017
Which one?
>>
>>91073582
No way that would be possible, Ridley would be too big for the screen.
>>
>>91065928
Archie Mega Man
>>
>>91062021

SatAM is the core of what makes ALL SONIC FANS autistic furries while Star Fox, Crash Bandicoot, TMNT and many others do not.
>>
>>91063847

It would not work anyhow everything you would love design wise from it would be washed away much like what happened with Ruby Spears' Darkstalkers
>>
>>91073943
Jack has supporting characters and a setting beyond just him
>>
I never got Looney Toons vibes from playing Sonic 1 - 3&K so I never understood why people say Adventures of Sonic the hedgehog is closer to the games. It will always be a bizarre comparison.
>>
>>91058339
this isnt common knowledge?
when the fuck did i get old
>>
>>91058301
>wakfu started as a 2006 turn-based mmorpg
d-do people know about this? was it good?
>>
>>91075064
It's more of a general classic American animation vibe to Sonic and his friends.

We're talking about a Felix the Cat knockoff with smug attitude zipping around surreal landscapes battling an inept fat man and dipping into pop-culture references that end up going over some kids heads what with how most Americans met Super Sonic before they even knew what the fuck a Super Saiyan was.
>>
>>91075064
I think that's mostly aesthetic based
>>
>>91075265
Yeah, there's still a group of people here who play it last I checked. It's where a lot of the outside lore comes from.
>>
>>91074774
You could easily do the same for Metroid, though. Metroid has a ton of NPCs that you run across through the games, and not all of them have a negative reception like Other M's NPCs.
>>
>>91078289
>chirping ewoks
>an ostrich
>blastoise

Metroid doesn't have NPCs.
>>
>>91075265
I don't play it but it feels weird and un-timeless (not to be all buzzwords) that they'd adapt an MMORPG... The cartoon'll probably go better-remembered.
Thread posts: 140
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.