[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can DC just invent a new black guy superhero so they can stop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 267
Thread images: 32

File: cyborg.jpg (586KB, 1314x993px) Image search: [Google]
cyborg.jpg
586KB, 1314x993px
People have been not liking Cyborg since the early 80's. Just putting him front and center in everything for thirty years never changed that.

Should they just try over again and make up some new iconic black guy superhero then stick him on the league?
>>
>>91030953
They haven't had any bird people on the JLA since Hawkgirl left a while back. Why not a flying black man? Call him Blackbird or something.

He could be the modern Zauriel
>>
They have black heroes they could use instead (Mr Terrific, Vixen, Bumblebee, recently Black Lightning). They just choose not to.
>>
why not just black bolt
>>
>>91030953
I don't get why they don't use John Stewart. When that ass Green Lantern movie was coming out everyone I knew was wondering why they made him white. You gotta cash in on what people know.

Save Cyborg for the Teen Titans movie because that could make a bundle too.
>>
>>91031007
I'm not super ontop of Hawkman lore, but aren't they ancient Egyptian aliens or something?
I feel like making Hawkman a black guy wouldn't upset a whole lot of people desu (though the SJWs might get upset that a black guy is a big buff angry brute).

Incidentally, anyone have that one short comic where Hawkman saves a plane from hijackers? Literally all I remember is a scared little girl looking out the window and seeing him just perched on the wing, grinning at her and holding his finger to his mouth.
>>
File: Cyborg_Super_Friends_001.jpg (23KB, 424x318px) Image search: [Google]
Cyborg_Super_Friends_001.jpg
23KB, 424x318px
>>91030953
>mfw
>>
They could retcon Icon into being a martian or something and use him again. He is league tier
>>
>'professional' comic book writers
>not creatively bankrupt
Pick one.
>>
>>91031203
I liked the idea of John being the league lantern.

While Hal was the solo series lantern and Kyle/Guy were the GLC team book lanterns. Why they had to fuck that up I have no idea.
>>
>>91031473
Wasn't he the only character that appeared in every episode of that series?
>>
They could use Icon but he's too similar to Superman power wise, nobody knows who he is and good luck making a film with a staunchly right wing Black character in this current political climate, even if he is an illegal alien. They could use Static but he's too young and Flash in this seems to be the wisecracking young one, he'd be redundant in that role.

They could use John Stewart but WB doesn't even want to bring up the memory of Green Lantern at this point. They probably should have just made Martian Manhunter a Black guy when in human form but people would just complain about them relegating the Black guy role to a B-lister shapeshifter who's just pretending to be Black. They probably don't think Black Lightning could work headlining the Justice League, so that leaves Cyborg as the only one left with any significant media exposure or fanbase who can hit their forced diversity quota because he's part robot.
>>
>>91031007
Northwind
>>
>>91031619
DC isn't very smart.
>>
>>91030953
Make John Jones black. J'onn already has a black alter ego in Supergirl so it's not a stretch. Problem solved.
>>
File: 1440548036_03.jpg (26KB, 620x344px) Image search: [Google]
1440548036_03.jpg
26KB, 620x344px
Even Steel doing his black Iron Man thing is a bit more creative than Cyborg.
>>
>>91030953
You can't just make something iconic right out of the gate. That's been the problem with all these writers trying to shove the next big thing down audience threats since well before any of us were born.
>>
>>91031315
That is Kyle Baker's Hawkman story for Wednesday Comics.

For some reason Baker decided to do a 180 from his fantastic cartooning as seen in Plastic Man and literally just use poser. It looks disgusting.
>>
>>91031889
>but WB doesn't even want to bring up the memory of Green Lantern at this point.

Don't they have a movie coming in a couple of years?
>>
File: black-lightning.jpg (160KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
black-lightning.jpg
160KB, 1024x768px
they should have used Black Lightning or Bublebee

at least we wont get crappy cgi in a movie lol
>>
>>91031582
He's just a Superman clone, though. Like, J'onn has his shapeshifting and psychic powers to differentiate him from Clark, but literally just another Superman analogue on the main League wouldn't work.

>>91031147
Mr. Terrific, Black Lightning or Vixen would be great. Any one of them.

Michael Holt gives you a very nice hard counterpoint character to Batman.

Jefferson Pierce is arguably the most down-to-earth member of the League. A former principal of an underfunded inner-city school, he would provide a very valuable viewpoint for this team of gods, be able to handle himself well in any combat situation, and, y'know, actually be a mature, put-together sane adult.

Vixen gives an international perspective, connection to The Red and other mysticism stuff, and is also a woman to boot for that diversity rounding out.

Leave the identity crisis stuff to Robotman.

>>91034923
Honestly this too.
>>
>>91030953
Cyborg was too old for the Teen Titans a LONG time ago. It's about time he got promoted.

Also the white and grey provide a nice color combination none of the rest of the main leaguers have.
>>
John Stewart? He was in the cartoons so he should have been much more identifiable with the JL.
>>
/co/ throws a bitch fit whenever they put a black character in anything, but with Cyborg, it's they're really only putting in like one fourth or less of a black guy so it's a compromise really
>>
File: Electro.jpg (58KB, 400x442px) Image search: [Google]
Electro.jpg
58KB, 400x442px
Black Lightning would seem too "similar" to Elektro for normie audiences.
>>
>>91030953
No. New minority characters are scary and threatening. Also hard to make interesting.
>>
>>91030953
Black Lightning's getting a CW series, so maybe he'll muscle Cyborg out of DC's Top Black spot for a bit.
>>
File: bublebee.jpg (160KB, 1280x775px) Image search: [Google]
bublebee.jpg
160KB, 1280x775px
>>91035645
>Bublebee
>>
>>91035895

Electric powers aren't that cool anyways. It's so common and basically boils down to blue lightning blasts.
>>
>>91031619
>While Hal was the solo series lantern and Kyle/Guy were the GLC team book lanterns. Why they had to fuck that up I have no idea.

That was a good status quo.
And then they made Kyle Ion again just to exile him to a shitty solo mini that ended with him getting Parallaxed.
>>
>>91034923
I have been arguing this for years.

There is basically nothing to lose in making the Martian Manhunter a black guy in his civilian identity.
>>
>>91035746
>Michael Holt gives you a very nice hard counterpoint character to Batman.

Mr. Terrific is rich, smart and successful. Why not use him.
>>
>>91036158
Except the whole angle of J'onn having dozens of civilian identities.
>>
>>91036201
He has had a main one though.

John Jones. He's a detective.
>>
File: mqdefault.jpg (5KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
mqdefault.jpg
5KB, 320x180px
>>91030953
We had John Stewart but movie executives couldn't stomach BLACKing a traditionally white hero, even if an entire generation of kids grew up knowing him as THE Green Lantern. So this is their piss-poor attempt to paper over the situation and I guess we deserve it for letting them do this to us.
>>
>>91035986
I laughed.
>>
>>91030953
Cyborg's inclusion in the Justice League makes sense. There have been far worse members. Just stop making everything about race you turd.
>>
File: portal2.jpg (183KB, 1200x674px) Image search: [Google]
portal2.jpg
183KB, 1200x674px
>>91030953
I don't get why they made movie Cyborg's armor chrome instead of white. Isn't everything futuristic supposed to look like an iPod?
>>
>>91037620
I'm okay with someone foregoing Apple's stupid minimalist aesthetic for once

Everything high-tech doesn't need to look like a future bathroom fixture
>>
>>91031203
You can blame it on Geoff Johns. There was no way he would shaft Hal for any other Lantern, plus if I recall he loved Galactic Guardians and that help shaped his JL.
>>
>>91030953
they need a tech robot character thats not an superman parody>>91035316

to counter Ironman

unless you can suggest a better one we are stuck with cyborg since hes like Iornman + Vision
>>
>>91044274
Batman in the beyond suit with motherbox technology would have been okay
or Blue Beetle tech suit

but they still want him to be a depowerd ninja
>>
>>91030953
>Should they just try over again and make up some new iconic black guy superhero then stick him on the league?
Considering that I'm not really super crazy about most of DC's black superheroes, I'd be ecstatic about this.
>>
>>91037891
I'd rather Cyborg look like an iPod than a fucking Bayformer.
>>
>>91030953
>People have been not liking Cyborg since the early 80's
Don't people like TT Cyborg you posted there?
>>
>>91031315
>I'm not super ontop of Hawkman lore, but aren't they-
Yes, the answer is yes. It's also no.
Hawkman's backstory is by far the most complex in all of comics.
>>
>>91036091
It's not hard to make it interesting.

Just throw everything associated with it in too. Give them shit like hacking powers and control over magnetism.
>>
>>91030953
No, because they need a jobber with neat powers that's relatably human, but not so much that he can't take one or two hits from a threat before the main character steps into the fight.
>>
>>91030953
Why do people hate Cyborg ? He's cool.

>>91031007
Or you know, Zauriel. Just make his skin black as he takes "human form".

>>91035316
Steel is fine but once Superman is back there will be two guys with the S shield. And don't even suggest that shitty non-inspired by Supes version of Steel.
>>
>>91036201
That's not something I see them bothering to use in a film adaptation. Screen time is limited, and establishing multiple human alter egos, unless he's using them to infiltrate somewhere, seems like a narrative dead end.
>>
>>91037891
He looks like a piece of crumpled up tinfoil. DEtail for the sake of detail does not make it look super advanced.
>>
>>91048288
Was Zauriel a success, in something DC quickly made up to replace Hawkman for a JLA lineup?

And I guess as a winged guy who was closer to the Superman, WW, MM, Flash powerlevel.
>>
>>91030953
JESUS CHRIST, THANK YOU.

I know Geoff Johns is fucking gay for him, but Cyborg is a waste of space everywhere except the Teen Titans, and even then, he should just be the tech guy.
>>
Why not Martian Manhunter. He basically Black anyway despite being green
>>
>>91030953
>yfw the only time anyone liked Cyborg was when he put on a Grandma voice

You know you're fucked as a character when your most entertaining appearances were on Teen Titans Go.
>>
>>91031147
Bumblebee, like Cyborg, belongs on the Titans.
DC needs to embrace the lack of diversity on their big 7 instead of running from it. Stop the revisionist nonsense. Honestly, if they wanted to completely bastardize a black character's origin to put him on the League, Steel would have been much more interesting.
>>
>>91046632
You forgot Donna Troy, you pleb.
Though, I find it hilarious Donna Troy is so unpopular. People forget she exists. Wolfman ruined his own waifu.
>>
>>91049837
>Cyborg belongs to the Titans
You can easily identify newfags and people who've never read TT or NTT when they say this.
>>
File: R&C_Working_Together.jpg (43KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
R&C_Working_Together.jpg
43KB, 480x360px
>>91030953
Daily reminder that Teen Titans Cyborg is the only good Cyborg. Really, what is wrong with having a Cyborg that is just a happy good instead of yet another sack of sadness
>>
>>91050112
Comic Cyborg has always been a mopey downer
>>
Does Cyborg control electricity?
>>
>>91050112

This. Teen Titans Cyborg was great
>>
>>91050212

It's a stretch, but I think you could say he technically falls under the "black guy with electricity-based powers" category
>>
>>91030953
Eh I would be okay for Cyborg to be in the league if they acknowledged him being a titan, it was a big part of his character. Hell the Titans tower was funded by his dad so they'd hang out with his freak son. They could have gotten MM with a black earth identity, he could have filled the role of Tech guy
>>
>>91048288
>Why do people hate Cyborg ?
Overexposure for the most part. Dude I love Cyborg, but they're other characters who don't get nearly enough time to shine.
>>
>>91046816
That's the problem with electric powers. If you get down to the root of how they work, you quickly realize anyone who has them has the capacity to be a literal god. Literally able to transmute energy into matter and vice versa.
>>
>>91050646
But it's not like Wolverine or Batman overexposure, where the characters have a shitload of fans and are everywhere from popularity.

Cyborg is just forced into everything because DC needs a black face in their teams and he is it. He has no solo history, no villains, no major arcs, so supporting characters, nothing. He is literally there only to fill the minority quota.
>>
>>91050212
Not that I have ever seen, that's more Black Lightning's territory. He created a costume that lets him shoot electricity at people.

If he made it to Livewire levels he would be league tier.

Cyborg is just a robot man with no specific skills. Lately they have been trying to make him half mother box just to make him higher up the power level scale to match most of the JLA. But Lex has been doing that too and doing it a lot better.
>>
>>91050112
Because this is real life and not cartoons
>>
>>91044381
>Actually suggesting Blue Beetle
>>
To me, Cyborg has always been, and will always be, a TITAN.
>>
Why can't they just use Martian Manhunter instead of Cyborg?
>>
File: 1446875207601.gif (207KB, 320x192px) Image search: [Google]
1446875207601.gif
207KB, 320x192px
>>91050913
Are Snyderfags really this stupid?
>>
>>91050112
Who says this cyborg isn't happy? We barely saw anything of him in the trailer.
>>
>>91030953
Is Black Lightning still a thing?
>>
>>91051043
>Snyderfags
>Literally asked why he can't get a cartoon version of the character in real life
>>
>>91050796
>He has no solo history, no villains, no major arcs, so supporting characters, nothing. He is literally there only to fill the minority quota.
You can say that for a lot of characters people are suggesting. You can say that for a lot of characters there have been in JLI, JLE and JLA as well. Most people hate Cyborg's inclusion because comic fans are autistic and adverse to change. A lot of people in this thread are even suggesting that Cyborg be deaged and placed in TT. Honestly, it should be the reverse. They should age up BB and Raven and disband the shitty franchise known as TT. He's not even overexposed with just one solo, and only since the past year and a half and he isn't even on the forefronts of the JL comic.
>>
>>91050796
>He has no solo history, no villains, no major arcs, so supporting characters, nothing

Which is why DC is trying to give him those things, which could potentially go wrong, but at least they're making an effort not to push the same heroes they've been pushing for 70 years with absolutely no alternatives.

Seeing a skilled writer explore Cyborg's potential is at least as interesting as Batman fighting the Penguin for the 700,000th time.
>>
>>91051201
Do chill and happy people not exist in real life?
>>
>>91050112
Cartoon posting in comic threads should be banned.
>>
>>91051201
Fuck off to /tv/, retard
>>
>>91051289
Movie posting in a comic and cartoon board should be banned
>>
>>91051285
His story is that he was a football star whose career got cut short cause his dad was fiddling around with alien tech. He has no reason to be le happy 24/7 man.
>>
FACT: People who are mad at DC "forcing" Cyborg are waifufags who only got into DC via the Teen Titans cartoon and are thinking Cyborg is stealing focus that could go to their parodies of Raven or Starfire instead
>>
>>91051321
>Implying I go on /tv/
>Implying you're not livid right now cause I called you out on your stupidity
>>
>>91051360

This x 100
>>
>>91051360
Most are reddit posters too.
>>
>>91051350
>got superpowers
>friend of the most powerful, popular and loved people on earth
He has no reason to not be happy 24/7
>>
>>91051350

> He has no reason to be le happy 24/7 man.

I'm getting tired of you Snyder acolytes claiming that people wanting lighthearted characters just want fun all the time in every scene with no dramatic or serious moments whatsoever.

You're right, we've never had a movie that had lighthearted moments or characters and drama at the same time, it was actually mandated by law that it can never happen back in the Golden Age of Hollywood.
>>
>>91051746

Lol he has a tragic story, and they have Barry there as comic relief. Calm down dummy.
>>
File: IMG_0720.jpg (86KB, 628x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0720.jpg
86KB, 628x640px
>>
>>91051360
FACT: People who likes Snyder movies are memeposters and kids who only got into DC via /tv/ KINO posting
>>
>>91051821

>Lol he has a tragic story

And? So he's going to cry and whine forever?

>and they have Barry there as comic relief

He doesn't need to be comic relief, he can be a character who has more then one emotional state even if Snyder finds writing that impossible.
>>
>>91051889

You still crying you don't get a 1:1 adaptation of "HIT THE SHOWERS" is hilarious and makes you the baby here.
>>
>>91051350
By that logic, Spider-Man should be a brooding anti hero instead of a wbeslingers with quips.
>>
>>91051821
>they have Barry there as comic relief.

Ah, yes. Barry. The one who's dad is in prison for murdering his mom, and who is perpetually traumatized by an asshole from the future, because Geoff Johns is the real life version of Hunter Zolomon.
>>
>>91052019
>calls other people babys
>throwing a fit because other people have differing opinions
>>
>>91052093
I didn't throw a fit anywhere.

This is you btw calling anyone who doesn't agree with you a "Snyder acolyte": >>91051746
>>
>>91052019
When did he ever imply that?
>>
>>91052185
>>91050112
>>91051043
>>
>>91052249
So what is wrong with a happy Cyborg?
Mopey Cyborg is just Robotman, but black.
>>
>>91052293
The fact that you think that only one version of Cyborg is allowed to exist is what makes you (and anyone who thinks like you) a baby.
>>
>>91052330
I ever said that. In fact, you're pretty much saying it.
Nice projection though.
>>
>>91030953
They should have used Black Green Lantern. Everyone knows who he is from the Justice League saturday morning cartoon show
>>
>>91052412
You don't even know his name.
>>
>>91052353
>I never said that.
Sure you didn't
>>
>>91052471
I didn't.
>>
>>91052458
yes I do. its john Stewart. I only remember because its the same as that Daily Show guy
>>
>>91052412
>>91052458
You think the name John Stewart would cause legal problems down the road and that's why they never use him?
>>
>>91031203
This, John Stewart is by far my favorite Green Lantern.
>>
>>91052530
The DC character had the name first. The Daily Show John Stewarts real name is jewish.
>>
>>91051636
>He still has no dick
>>
>>91050112
>the episode where he exceeds his limits
to this day it sticks out in my memory of one of my all time favorite cartoon episodes
>>
They messed up Green Lantern so they can't kill off Ryan Renolds and get John Stewart and probably don't want to bring in Green Lantern now.

Green Lantern and Cyborg have the most name recognition.

It can also be helpful to have a character that can fly if you don't have Superman.

Movie viewers don't care if the comic books that he has been in suck.

What's the problem with him?
>>
>>91036158
they've done that on Smallville and Supergirl and the JLA cartoon
>>
>>91051012
Possibly too overpowered if you go by the comics or the cartoons.

I think general audiences wouldn't find it too ridiculous if you put Static in the league, but made him a teenager. That way people who saw the cartoon would accept it more than if he was an adult.

It might seem weird to have two people with electricity coming out of them with the Flash and Static however.
>>
File: Baker2.Batman.jpg (139KB, 432x1019px) Image search: [Google]
Baker2.Batman.jpg
139KB, 432x1019px
>>91035539
just googled it, holy shit thats horrible
>>
>>91030953
Haters gonna hate.
>>
>>91030953
Murakami Cyborg is best Cyborg.

Well, best designs at least. Everything else feels off or clunky one way or another.
>>
>>91046632
Hawkman's backstory is unnecessarily complicated and weird, but it can be boiled down into an understandable summary.

Donna Troy's however is such a tremendous clusterfuck you'd need to take a masters class in comic books to figure her out completely.
>>
They don't need to invent one. They have plenty who are better than Cyborg, who I agree is almost never written as an interesting character.

Like Mr Terrific (here channeling In The Heat of the Night).
>>
File: Bronze_Tiger.jpg (100KB, 342x464px) Image search: [Google]
Bronze_Tiger.jpg
100KB, 342x464px
>>91054982
Or Bronze Tiger.
>>
File: Beth.jpg (340KB, 750x585px) Image search: [Google]
Beth.jpg
340KB, 750x585px
>>91055012
Or Beth Chapel Dr Midnight.
>>
File: Vixen.jpg (63KB, 393x543px) Image search: [Google]
Vixen.jpg
63KB, 393x543px
>>91055031
Or Vixen.
>>
File: Jakeem_Thunder_0004.jpg (153KB, 800x1214px) Image search: [Google]
Jakeem_Thunder_0004.jpg
153KB, 800x1214px
>>91055043
Or Jakeem Thunder
>>
>>91054982
>yeah lets fight this dude with floating ass robot ball shit with a shottie and a lynch
>>
>>91055051
Or John Stewart if people are allowed to write him with a personality again.
>>
>>91055051
Is this a Jojo reference?
>>
>>91054982
Great character, lots of untapped potential imo

>>91055012
Can't work as a "main guy" but he deserves more recognition and it's sad how Shiva's autistic fans throw a bitch fit every time she isn't "THE BESTEST" but Turner has become nothing more than a jobber.

>>91055031
Shit charterer with maybe 30 total appearances, her last being over 20 years ago. Pieter is best Dr. Mid-nite.

>>91055043
lame character that's getting pushed more than she deserves

>>91055051
Again, lots of untapped potential.
>>
File: Mr Bones.png (410KB, 471x629px) Image search: [Google]
Mr Bones.png
410KB, 471x629px
>>91055051
Or OK right you got me Mr Bones is never gonna be on the fucking Justice League but I would sure as fuck read his ongoing.
>>
>>91055051
I've only seen this guy in cameos or out of context /co/ posts. From what I understand he's a kid with a genie that can do whatever he wants as long as it's a verbal command. How the fuck do you write a character like that in a cape book? How is every wish not just "I wish the plot resolves itself"?
>>
File: Josiah_Power.jpg (28KB, 338x537px) Image search: [Google]
Josiah_Power.jpg
28KB, 338x537px
>>91055104
Or Josiah Power.

>>91055101
So basically the ones I'm suggesting are the ones I think have a lot of potential to wrote a strong, characterful story with. I don't agree that Vixen is lame (unconventional model background and the fact her powers inherently effect her emotions is good fuel for stories) or that Beth Chapel is (probably one of the more interesting legacies - costume aside - and I'd be fine with Dr Mid-Nite and Dr Midnight around) or that Bronze Tiger can't lead a book. I mean, maybe in terms of marketability but in terms of character I disagree.
>>
>>91055105
>"I wish the plot resolves itself"?
That's kinda what happens most of the time. His genie gets stolen, he gets it back, deus ex machina. The idea of the Thunderbolt is that he needs exact commands, so instead of "Thunderbolt, smoke these fools", he should say something like "Thunderbolt, drop 4 ton anvils on each of these 4 robot mercenaries". The long verbal command can be used as weakness for the character and it can also lead to hilarious situations like him saying "smoke these fools" and the Thunderbolt just throws smoke at the killer robots. He's alright in JSA but Johns doesn't do an amazing job with him so it's a case of incredible untapped potential with Jakeem Thunder.
>>
File: 414958-Skyrocket101.jpg (415KB, 1144x745px) Image search: [Google]
414958-Skyrocket101.jpg
415KB, 1144x745px
>>91055156
Or fuck, Skyrocket, which is basically Marvel's black female Iron Man but way better because she is an adult woman who actually served in the military, consciously pursues private enterprise because of the limitations she encountered there, and uses a device invented by her parents that they likely don't completely agree with her use of.

Tons of mileage for stories you don't see that often there.
>>
File: ManhattanGuardian.jpg (828KB, 856x1484px) Image search: [Google]
ManhattanGuardian.jpg
828KB, 856x1484px
>>91055182
Likewise with Manhattan Guardian, who in 2017 you could do a press/public image story with that nobody has ever written before.
>>
>>91055182
You've also got Natasha Irons.
>>
>>91055156
>in terms of character
I mean, almost anyone can work, at least as a 12 issue mini. The idea is that Bronze Tiger isn't marketable. I'd love a martial arts revival where he's treated as a lead alongside Dragon and Shvia and not a third wheel but Rebirth is too lame for a martial arts comic. Also, it's not like Shiva or Richard Dragon are very popular, they're jut a lot more popular than him. Wouldn't mind him in Suicide Squad again, if he gets to do some cool character stuff and if the artists can draw cool martial arts fights.
Vixen is already getting a push so it's irrelevant. But she is a truly lame character that just doesn't really bring anything special to the table.
>>
>>91055182
>>91055197
Why not just use Steel?
>>
>>91055211
I mean, why use Steel? The tensions and conflicts of the characters aren't the same, so it depends on the story you want to tell.
>>
>>91055169

the obvious thing for this hero would be for him to face someone with their own genie, and have a verbal what if battle back and forth ala Bill and Ted:

>Light this guy on fire!
>Make my skin resist fire entirely!
>Make a bottomless pit under him!
>Make me able to fly!

and so on until one tricks the other into a double blind situation where their own wish defeats themselves in a semi comedic yet dark fashion.
>>
>>91055227
Because he's more popular and because having teenage girl in the Justice League doesn't feel right.
>>
>>91055238
Fair enough. Skyrocket isn't a teenage girl, but if that's what's important then you use Steel.
>>
>>91055231
Yeah but you can also have him fight "superman style opponents and he's all like
>Light this fool on fire
>Sorry kid, I'm invulnerable
>Um, strike him with a lightning
>Still nope
>um, um... let's run until I can think of something
Also, he's interesting because he's supposed to be a lonely kid with the Thunderbolt his only friend. You can have the classic "kid with a chip on his shoulder learns about responsibility and how to be a superhero"
>>
>>91050112
Teen Titans Cyborg actually had a bit of nuance to him.
He was goofy, but that the same time could step up and act as a competent leader when the need arose. Deep down he resented his cybernetic enhancements, but at the same time wasn't above having fun with them and using his mechanical parts to do crazy kickass things just because he could.
It's stuff like we never see in the comics, and I guarantee we won't see it in the movie either.
>>
>>91055258

I like that "mysterious enemy with a secret weakness" thing, but that can get old if used too much. You could face him up against other reality shifters like Myxlpyx, or other Thunderbolt like beings trying to Usurp TB's place as best genie buddy. Reality-warpers are vastly underused because writers fear the powercreep and want to save them for big crossover events where they can deus ex machina the plot back together.

What they should do is embrace the powertier and have lost of wacky over the top ridiculous adventures that the reality warper has to put right, play with cause and effect and how the world can pivot around one person's choices or wishes when they have that much power.
>>
Why not Vixen? JL is also a sausagefest, it would be good to add another woman besides WW.
>>
>>91035645
>superhero name is black lightning
>is black
I'm I being racist or is it really that obvious
>>
>>91055329
I can't believe he's a real character and not just a meme that made itself into comic history
>>
>>91055329
Is cyborg racist for being 3/5ths human?
>>
File: 5y945s[1].jpg (70KB, 400x606px) Image search: [Google]
5y945s[1].jpg
70KB, 400x606px
>>91055329

Tony Isabella was trying to come up with a better Superhero than the Brown Bomber then saw this cover hanging on a wall. Thus, Black Lightning was born.
>>
File: 0.jpg (93KB, 700x350px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
93KB, 700x350px
>>91030953
can DC just invent a new dark broody hero so they can stop shoving this faggot into everything?
>>
>>91055298
>Myxlpyx, or other Thunderbolt like beings
Same thing. And that can also get old fast. The best course of action is to use both. It's not like a "Thunder" ongoing could last long, but have a 12-16 issue long series where he grows as a character, fights two o three enemies, develop him from a kid with no friends that gets into mischief into a kid that actually WANTS to help keep the world safe and then fold him into JSA and continue his story, the story of befriending other heroes and earning their respect.
>>
>>91055060
I refer you to the best arc of Preacher.
>>
>>91054982
>>91055012
>>91055043
All of these characters have a lot of potential but they're not 'Big Seven' material either.
>>
In all that time, the only thing he made worth a damn is SHOWER TIME, and that was mostly due to meme fans.
>>
>>91055615
Neither is Cyborg
>>
>>91055655
I think Cyborg has a lot of potential to actually be interesting but no writer has ever actually realized it. He's a pretty boring character and I don't care for the push. If they'd taken him and actually done something cool with him, like Alan Moore's Swamp-Thing, then we'd be having another discussion. But no one's really done that yet. He feels incredibly forced. If you'd asked anyone who they actually wanted in a JL movie, they'd probably tell you the Big 7. It really does feel wrong that you'd get Cyborg in before MM or GL.

>>91055703
I completely agree with you.
>>
>>91055615
Mister Terrific is totally Big Seven material.
>>
>>91055727
A lot of people think he's too similar to Batman.

Then again, Martian Manhunter is Big 7 and he's pretty much Martian Superman, so...
>>
>>91031793
correct but that had more to how he was a overglorified secretary
>>
>>91055271
This
>>
>>91055271
>>91056238
Yeah, TT Cyborg was pretty great and by far and away the best version of the character. I don't know why they don't make Cy in the comics more like he was in that cartoon. He was far more enjoyable there than he was anywhere else.
>>
>>91055366
They did. That's why we're stuck with Snyder's version of Superman.
>>
>>91055012
A black guy knowing martial arts? In the era of Asian American Iron Fist OR Bust campaigns? Unpossible.
>>
heres an idea everyone,

how bout not having a black super hero at all? since comics and movies suck at black super heros.
>>
>>91055314
Also, her powerset is interesting and can be used creatively.
She's the beastboy of JL.
>>
Cyborg works within the Titans.

Outside he is outclassed, redundant and boring.
>>
>>91031203
Geoff johns.

Is that simple and we had know that since 2011
>>
>>91055727
No when batman is there.
>>
>>91030953

Make him white

Yknow it doesn't matter what race a character is. Only racists would care if they made him white.
>>
>>91052133
But that isn't though. >>91052093 was my only post.
>>
Why bother with naming an alternative black character at all? You know /co/ would call it tokenism and hated on it even if vixen, black lightning or Mr terrific would've replaced Jonn.
>>
>>91057029
>Cyborg works within the Titans.
>Outside he is outclassed, redundant and boring.
The Titans are outclassed Redundant and boring.

One thing AI like abotu this push that it get him out of the "Forever Titans" Hell that Raven, beast boy, and now Starfire are in.
>>
>>91030953

I hate that he's always included at the expense of MMH. J'onn's a shapeshifter ffs, just make his default "undercover human suit" black or asian or whatever depending on his needs and literally fill ALL the diversity quotas with ONE character. Cyborg needs to be demoted to the Titans (not TT tho, he's too powerful and would stick out like a sore thumb)
>>
File: Hardware_004.jpg (234KB, 745x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Hardware_004.jpg
234KB, 745x1024px
>>91035316
Hardware. He's another Milestone character thats pretty awesome. He's kinda like a black Ironman.
>>
>>91058461
And Cyborg doesn't even have any business with titans, considering he's not even an original teen titan. /co/ has got really bad recently.
>>
>>91058599
Cyborg was best with the Titans.
>>
>>91030953
>blah, blah, blah something about black characters not really making enough to be marketable

Why be inventive and original when you have characters that people already know and like?
>>
>>91058632
>Cyborg wasn't even an original TT, but a part of Wolfman's team. The current Titans consist of the original team. Shows how much titanfags are retarded.
>There's nothing good about the teen titans. Its a meme spread by cartoonfags.
>>
>>91058570
Hardware fucking HATES working with other superheroes.
>>
>>91052625
Stewart was/is a stage name. Went to the same Highschool decades after the fact and his face was on a wall. John "Stewart" Leibovitz or Leibowitz
>>
>>91036173
He would be overshadowed by Batman at all times.

Just look at JLU, the guy never got to do anything.
>>
>>91058599
>Cyborg, one of the Titans from when they were at the height of their popularity, shouldn't be a Titan.
>Cyborg, one of the main cast of the Teen Titans cartoons that are vastly more popular than any comic book, does not belong with the Titans.

Listen, just because he wasn't a Bob Haney/Nick Cardy character doesn't mean that being on Team Teenagers isn't where he best belongs.
>>
>>91055091
No, successor to Johnny Thunder who was in the start of the JSA.
>>
I think DC should bravely ditch the token black guy from JL.

They clearly don't have anyone who's willing and/or capable of writing a good black character that can be in JL. Because if they had, they'd have done it already.

So until they find someone for that, they should stop with the half-assed cyborg approach just to have a black guy.

It's not that important.
They're not gonna lose major sales because of that.
The people who'd whine about it is people who'd find something to whine about it anyway.

Stop it.
Kill Cyborg and put black characters in JL on hold until you can do them right.
>>
>>91058756
He works with Static and the Shadow Cabinet pretty often.
>>
>>91058888
real niggas recognize
>>
>>91058804
It also means he can't be on other teams. See Katana
>>
>>91058804
There are no new members on Abnett's titans. Why should Cyborg even go there?

Teen titans is the worst. If anything, Raven, beast boy and Star fire should be out of there, rather than Cyborg being in there.
>>
>>91058744
I enjoyed the new Titans and the 2000 comics for the most part. Cyborg was the only one trying to keep the titans together and bring in new heroes so the team didnt die. Doesnt matter he wasnt one of the first. Hell how often does Tempest(aqualad) even do Titans related things anymore.
>>
>>91052731
>can just download an orgasm whenever he pleases
>>
File: robotman.jpg (119KB, 500x648px) Image search: [Google]
robotman.jpg
119KB, 500x648px
>>91057395
>Make him white
That character already exists
>>
File: cyb-10-3-234164.jpg (160KB, 655x1007px) Image search: [Google]
cyb-10-3-234164.jpg
160KB, 655x1007px
>>91050212
Yes to a degree.

In Justice League vs. Suicide Squad he generated an electromagnetic field and btfo Dr. Polaris in on shot.
>>
He is, he just hasn't a good writer/iconic story yet. He opens up a door to an entire other aspect of the DC world that could be cashed in on, technology, that no other black character can cash in on aside from Mr Terrific but even he can only do slightly more than Batman.

Steel is far too tied to Superman so don't try that shit. Cyborg has no connections outside of TT, which have no thematic connection outside of being Teenageers. That means its SHOULD BE easy to build him a supporting cast(but as we have clearly seen, its not)

Another thing is that no one is taking any chances with the character. His powers are still big guns. His enemies are other heroes repurposed tech villains outside of Grid and the current overarching bad guy of his ongoing.

I don't like the design of Snyders Cyborg, at all, but I do like that he has more powers than BIG GUNS. Don't be afraid to give Cyborg shit like jet boots, he's New God powered robot, they'll have some sort of hover tech. Hell Mother Boxes float all the time. Mix it up, go nuts, give him a cool war mask.

The guy has direct ties to New Gods, give him a 4th World villain, special to him.
>>
File: steel.jpg (148KB, 477x750px) Image search: [Google]
steel.jpg
148KB, 477x750px
>>91060873
>He opens up a door to an entire other aspect of the DC world that could be cashed in on, technology, that no other black character can cash in on aside from Mr Terrific

Or, y'know. Black Ironman, the Superman Fanboy.
>>
>>91055329
Wasn't that common for black characters in the 70's? They had to have Black as the first part of their names no matter what?

Superfriends had their own version named Black Vulcan too.
>>
>>91061676
>Superfriends had their own version named Black Vulcan too.

That was so they could jew the Black Lightning guys out of creative rights, because those were starting to be a thing by then.
>>
>>91061676
IIRC the character justified it in a conversation with Mr. Terrific by saying something along the lines of "I wanted every bad guy I beat up to know that it was a brother that did it"
>>
>>91030953
WHY NOT USE STEEL

YOU FUCKING KILLED SUPERMAN IN YOUR FIRST MOVIE SO WHY NOT FOLLOW THROUGH WITH IT
>>
>>91057185
surrrrrre it wasnt friend, everyone knows kemet was han chinese

https://sites.google.com/site/naomiastral/ancient-kemet/the-science-of-ancient-egyptian-hair
>>
>>91031889
they shoulda made martian manhunter a black human astronaut who goes to mars and fuses with a a martian
>>
>>91044274
but cyborg ISNT a tech character, he is a teen drinking carcrash victim jock with guns for hands and a suit of iron man armour who was frozen in time for a couple of decades
>>
>>91046987
cyborgs whole deal is slowly going nuts because he isnt even relatably human to himself
>>
>>91062057
He was bitten by a radioactive computer and tauch the mystic arts of clouding computer's minds
>>
>>91050913
this is literally a movie about a cartoon

at one point the king of atlantis tackles a cyberdeamon out of the air after jumping of moving mad max tank of a billionaire dressed as a bat

at another a man in a powerrangers costume uses naruto anime handsign magic to summon lightning from another universe to run fast
>>
>>91062014
or they should just make an alien who has been living as a black man (aka not!Icon).
>>
>>91061477
People keep complaining about how he is just another Superman clone and tied to Superman,

Just remove the S from the chest and make him more of a generic armored guy. I would even keep the part where he was one of the lead engineers for Lex's armors. That should be enough. Would keep the hammer too but make it do stuff.
>>
>>91055329
oh its racist, he was also pretty much the first black character in dc iirc

the other option was the black bomber, a klu klux klansman who turned into a black man with explosion powers at night, but they thoiught that was a bad idea and went with black lightning

and since then all black dc characters have to be related to electricity as "homage" unless they are pure legacy characters like green lantern or start of as villains or sidekicks

like black vulcan, static, jakeem thunder, thunder and lightning, cyborg (who as electric robot powers), steel who has an electric robot suit, mr.terrific who has flying electric drones....
>>
>>91055727
he has robot drone powers, that perfect for the dark modern gritty angle of the movies

also, he can use them to actually fly and block bullets and is often staunchly anti-corporate, cementing the not-batman angle
>>
>>91062284
I've noticed most black characters are either electricity based or technology based. They either have armor, cyber parts, techie stuff like belts or gloves, or they just shoot lightning. Not very creative when most of them do this.

At least Vixen and Icon are something different
>>
When people say Big 7, do they mean the most popular characters in DC atm, the most powerful ones on Earth, or just the main Golden Age/Silver Age names?

Because most of those are legacies if all we are looking for are

Kryptonian
Amazon
Bat
Lantern
Speedster
Atlantean

then Hawk/Martian/Magic

The only one that is not easily exchangeable for someone else wearing the same suit is Martian Manhunter.
>>
>>91062669
The Big Seven are specifically the first 7 JLA members- Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter, Aquaman.
>>
>>91061969
You are a retard. Nice afrocentrist source. Go a d ask Egyptians on /int/ you stupid nigger
>>
>>91062284
>a klu klux klansman who turned into a black man with explosion powers at night

and this didn't become popular? Why are people such shit
>>
>>91031889

Aren't Black Lightning's rights tied up with his creator?
>>
>>91061477
Literally the next line
>Steel is far too tied to Superman so don't try that shit
Read cunt.
>>
>>91057185
go home /pol/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4s7zlyFj0o
>>
>>91063556
Steel was created as a spin-off from the Death of Superman, as a regular guy who decided the world still needed a Superman.

The DCEU's Second Movie was... The Death of Superman. Justice League follows on, with Superman still dead. Leaving a perfect opening for a normal guy to be trying to fill his shoes.
>>
There is no other marketable character in DC.

Static Shock is a goofy looking teen.

Black Lighting has a terrible name. Probably offensive to some.

Mr. Terrific has a goddamn black T on his face and looks retarded.

Vixen Maybe. But her powers are weird. Kinda too similar to WW.
>>
Mother Box upgrade was a mistake
>>
>>91064806
But didn't OP ask for a new one to be invented?

probably for this reason
>>
>>91034923
He is in the Supergirl show and at least one of his identities was in the last comic by Rob Williams
>>
>>91064806
They wouldn't necessarily need to have him have a T on his face at all.

Or they could just give him a small mask that goes over his eyes and a small part in the middle of it that goes a little bit down on to the bridge of his nose. Or he could wear some sort of goggles that is shaped similar to that.

The fact that his name is Mr. Terrific is weirder I think. Also he's kind of similar to Batman.
>>
>>91063494
They cleaned that up recently, there is a Black Lightning series being shopped around now. FOX passed, CW might pick it up.
>>
File: 1444445832846.jpg (114KB, 750x677px) Image search: [Google]
1444445832846.jpg
114KB, 750x677px
>>91064267
>Eradicator
Superman's mind
>Superboy
Superman's body
>Steel
Superman's soul
>Superman Cyborg
Superman's antithesis
>tfw we will never see a proper death/reign/return of Superman on the big screen
>>
>>91060873
Give Cyborg a jetpack instead of jet boots. He's basically discount Iron Man with less convincing CGI
>>
>>91066012
I thought it was Cyborg who was supposed to represent Superman's possible body and abilities while Steel represented Superman's inspiration in others.
>>
>>91050112
I suppose Movie Cyborg would be a bit of a downer seeing he JUST lost his body and is now a cyborg.

He is suppose to end up being friends with Barry in the movie so hopefully that will show him being a bit more upbeat.

Hope he says BooYah in the movie
>>
>>91031473
This is the best Cyborg costume. He should look simultaneously constrained and enabled by his prosthetics and all of the Post-Terminator designs seem to move farther and farther away from the body-horror themes that make him an interesting character.
>>
>>91049531
only virgins know about martian manhunter
>>
>>91064806
The T was origionally intended to break up his face to fool early facial recognition systems when he was an anti-corporate tech vigilante.

A more modern version could be something like a blur filter that blocks out his face in real time.
>>
>>91066195
>80s aerobics gear and metal leg warmers is Cyborg's best look

Go back to the gaybar.
>>
>>91051350
These stories are about idealized humans. A more inspiring story than what you espouse is one about a hero who bears his limitations/suffering with strength and grace.
>>
>>91030953
>since the early 80's

it's been that long?

i always thought cyborg's push came from the TT cartoon.
>>
>>91031007
Wing Man
>>
>>91055704
>like Alan Moore's Swamp-Thing
Isn't that exactly what the current volume is like?
>>
>>91066871
No.
>>
>>91058570
Why is Ganondorf a cyborg?
>>
>>91064806
This is some shit taste, anon
>>
>>91066630
>i always thought cyborg's push came from the TT cartoon.

Cyborg was used as a Junior Superfriend in the last season or seasons of the Challenge of the Superfriends, because he got a toy in the Superpowers line.
>>
>>91031007
>>91066636
I actually want to see a black guy Hawkman analog now

I also liked Warhawk from JLU. DC should just introduce him to the comics universe somehow, make him blacker, and that covers armored, flying and possibly alien.
>>
File: warhawk9.jpg (63KB, 333x553px) Image search: [Google]
warhawk9.jpg
63KB, 333x553px
>>91067458
>>
What if Bane was black?
>>
>>91067542
Then we would know why he wears the mask
>>
>>91066970
Breath of the Wild explains why.
>>
>>91036370
They made the right choice not using John. He's a shit character and Hal will forever be the true Green Lantern.
>>
>>91067542
He was born in South America, right? So it wouldn't be out of the question.
>>
>>91067458
>>91067485
isn't he yet another derivative character?

>John Stewart is derivative of white guy GL
>Steel is derivative of Superman
>Mr Terrific is derivative of white guy Terrific

half of the black characters are just black versions of established white characters.
>>
They should have just lead with a Teen Titans movie instead of Justice League.

Marvel doesn't have any teen team lined up anytime soon.

Teen Titans already has a fanbase from the cartoon and an older one from the comics.

DC is fucking stupid not to have utilized them with Cyborg with them.

This Justice League set up suuuuuucks.
>>
>>91055012
That is who Will Smith shoulda played.
>>
>>91030953
its not that simple. No matter what they do, people will complain. even if they make it right, people will complain, if its not us, its gonna be the normies. But someone will complain.
>>
>>91067862
>person who, in his heart, wants to do the right thing and put his criminal past behind him
>was a member of Ostrander's SS anyway
You're fucking right.
>>
>>91067737
But DC wants to be "serious." The currently running Teen Titans Go is sorandumb and wouldn't mesh with Snyder's definitive interpretation
>>
>>91067660
It would be, his dad was British and his mom was clearly Spanish stock
>>91066012
That's a good thing, I love it. Snyder turned a shitty movie every suit wanted to make for 20 years into just a final fight and a motivation for the next movie.
>>
File: 1490477413744.jpg (63KB, 590x882px) Image search: [Google]
1490477413744.jpg
63KB, 590x882px
>>91063864
>>
>>91035986
kek
>>
>>91067634
Go to bed, Geoff.
>>
>>91030953
OKAY /CO/ LETS INVENT A NEW BLACK SUPERHERO WHO COULD APPEAR IN A JUSTICE LEAGUE FOUNDING STORY

>REQUIREMENTS
>Black
>Human
>Not electric/lightning/sonic/robot/armour/cybernetic/wind/weather powers
>Secret identity
>>
>>91068946
the majority population of khemet were black and whites didnt invent slavery

besides you cant "invent" slavery, its not an physical thing but a system, and was developed in many ways across many time periods and social and ethnic groups
>>
>>91069023
new rule
>Not a derivitive/legacy hero
>Not a black version of another hero
>>
>>91035316
>That helmet.
This simultaneously reminds me of Bibleman's and the Grey Fox's masks.
>>
>>91069023
>>91069128
Wings and flight are cool, could we do like many in this thread have suggested and make the newguy have wing enabled flight without being a hawkman/angel ripoff?
>>
>>91036091
>Electric powers aren't that cool
>What is Infamous.

They have potential, that you have to admit.
>>
>>91069023
By invent, you mean make a new one, right?
>>
>>91064806
>Static Shock is a goofy looking teen
There is no character with that name
>>
>>91069337
Completely new. But will be retconned into the Justice League origin.
>>
>>91071505
Whoever they are they need to have an awareness of the fourth wall and that they are in a comic book, and an awareness that they got retconed into being a founding member.
Thread posts: 267
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.