[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wait what? Genndy helped get Steven Universe off the ground?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: wait what.jpg (156KB, 840x526px) Image search: [Google]
wait what.jpg
156KB, 840x526px
Wait what? Genndy helped get Steven Universe off the ground?

Didn't he just give an interview where he called the current state of animation horrible or something?
>>
SU's pilot and SU now is very different. The pilot had a definitive and consistent art style and I'd doubt Genndy would like the idea of having no writers and letting storyboarders dictate everything.
>>
>>91007758
>I'd doubt Genndy would like the idea of having no writers and letting storyboarders dictate everything.
Isn't that how SJ works?
>>
>>91007662
>Didn't he just give an interview where he called the current state of animation horrible or something?

That doesn't specify any one cartoon.
>>
File: 1488066652701.jpg (52KB, 464x270px) Image search: [Google]
1488066652701.jpg
52KB, 464x270px
>>91007662
>/sug/ gets btfo
>the day before a new episode
>>
>>91007951
I'm not certain but whether or not it is is somewhat irrelevant. SU and SJ tried to do different things. SJ was a story that worked very well with 'new concept every week' by virtue of the setting. Absolutely everything in that series was a chapter in the overarching plot: How Jack finds a way back to the past to undo the future that is Aku. Though the new one may not be like this at all. I'm still working my way through the first one before I hop onto the new one. But judging by the fact that it's the same setting and Jack doesn't look widely different between scenes I'd say the point still stands.

SU on the other hand isn't a journey and it's no longer monster of the week. It's trying to tell a consistent story that requires consistent characters. The world is far more grounded than something like adventure time so it's much less open to actually capitalising on those crazy concepts while netting all of the negatives.

And one thing I think isn't quite talked about enough with the approach SU has taken to storyboarders is the sort of people a show about 'Lesbian space rocks act as mother to a young effeminate boy who cries a lot' would attract and where they would want to focus. They don't really care about the stories that Sucrose is trying to tell and they don't really care about the characters as characters. They care about the characters in the same way tumblr fan artists care about characters. They want to imply that a character has human mental illness A or is totally shipped with character B or OMG GUYS WHAT IF PEARL SAW A GIRL WHO LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE ROSE BUT PUNK I CANT EVEN GUYS. At it's worst points it makes entire episodes around lampooning 'person i don't like of the week' characters or even once making an entire episode around a fucking fandom joke, spoiling both in the process. That's exactly why you can't give people like that free reign.

SJ was nothing like that. A show like SU needs consistency
>>
>>91008931

This
>>
>>91007951
Genndy has a lot more involvement in Samurai Jack. In Samurai Jack he literally beatboxes the music and explains what is going in each episode to the team, with sound effects and everything. SU gave some help with the pilot and that's it
>>
>>91008931
Well said.
>>
>>91007662
Every pilot by CalArt twats was supported by CN vet animators before they all got fired and went to disney.
>>
>>91009313
But all the CN vets were from calarts.
>>
Remind me, what plot point are up to now in SU?

When is Yellow Diamond coming?
>>
>>91008931
Which episode was based around a fandom joke?
>>
>>91007662
> He called the current state of animation horrible

That kind of statement is so broad it pretty much loses meaning without the proper context and specification.
>>
>>91009507
I mean obviously they couldn't have her smoke but this was around a bunch before the episode even happened.
>>
>>91007662
>Pilot
That explains it, Genndy helped Sugar to build an interesting concept but then she decided to fuck it up and make a safe and harmless SOL cartoon where nothing ever happens and any semblance of danger is resolved in the lamest way possible
>>
>>91009443
When Greg gives her the D, that's when.
>>
>>91007662
>Didn't he just give an interview where he called the current state of animation horrible or something?

From the nigga that made Hotel Transylvania? I hope not for his sake.
>>
>>91009549
tfw I liked that episode
>>
>>91009549
Oh, right.

Man, Last One Out of Beach City sucked
>>
>>91009582
Unfortunate.
>>
>>91007662
I don't think he said something nearly as harsh as that. It was more about 2D animation vs 3D animation, and I don't think he made any reference to current CN shows.
>>
>>91009597
Now now, you saw what happens to stuff with exec meddling with that preview of Popeye. Popeye was going to be amazing and then they dropped Genndy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4tNuM9XttM
>>
>>91009602
Not all of us can be perfect anon. It's OK.
>>
>>91009672
that's been in development hell for years

I hope it stays that way
>>
>>91009549
the trend started when people working on the show posted artwork of Pearl in her "bad" costume. The fandom followed suit.
>>
>>91009692
Sue me. It's a little cringey I admit, but I thought it was fun. I wouldn't call it great by any means.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.