[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who the fuck is this girl even? Why is her dad her only friend

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 8

File: Asami1.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Asami1.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
Who the fuck is this girl even?

Why is her dad her only friend before the show starts?

Did she ever get to go school? Or was she homeschooled, with a lock on the outside of the door? Is that why she's so painfully needy? Why didn't the person who taught her martial arts try teaching her some self-esteem?

From the second she meets Mako, she's immediately trying to buy his love: buying him nice clothes, taking him to restaurants and shit, sponsoring his pro-bending team, and trying to impress him and his friends with all of her mechanical swag. But do we learn anything about who she is? The only things we ever see her care about are actually the things that OTHER PEOPLE care about - her dad's company because 'muh-company', zapping her dad so that she can hang out with her boyfriend more, letting Korra get away with cocknapping her bf (because obvs. saving the Republic City only works if teh Avatar gets some major dickings). Then after witnessing some serious carnage following Amon's invasion, she goes off and becomes a war profiteer because being validated by her friends means that she must be on the right side of history.

And then her bf cheats on her a second time with the same woman, and her brain just goes into this full-on Freudian lock-down. "Daddy and Mako both had penises, and Daddy and Mako both betrayed me a whole bunch." Giving up on dick was the first real thing that she did for herself, right up until the point where Korra became her substitute male - and then you see that once again, it was all about other people.
>>
In her mind, Korra has become the taker-away of penises. Her father and Mako both had penises, Korra took away the first by throwing him in jail, and she took the second by being buff as shit and fucking his brains out while they were still in a relationship. This turned Korra into an ambivalent figure in her mind - she is the taker away of both the beloved, good penises (that makes her feel safe) and the destructive, bad penises (that betray her and/or fuck women with magic powers - women who don't even NEED to have a penis to feel safe). In the deepest recesses of her mind, she decides that the only way she can ever "feel safe" this world NOT to control the penises - but instead control the controller of penises.

After all - she may be the veritable personification of destruction, akin to the Hindu Goddess Kali with double the bush - but she is still just a woman. Just one single moment of vulnerability is all that's needed to start grooming Korra into a state of emotional dependence. Isolate and manipulate - this is the only world that Asami knows.
>>
I think your over-thinking it... the show wasn't even that good
>>
File: Asami2.png (483KB, 860x442px) Image search: [Google]
Asami2.png
483KB, 860x442px
And when she sees Korra after her fight with Henry Rollins - physically weakened and horribly traumatized - she sees within her a reflection of her own true self for the first time: her broken, empty, horribly dependent and needy self. And while trying to mimic the appearance of a supportive friend, she realizes that now is her chance. Over the next three years, she slowly exerts her influence over Korra. While Mako and Bolin are writing to her about their lives and how they are doing (and innocently assuming that Korra actually gives a fuck) - Asami writes Korra by letters that subtly advertise a fantasy to Korra.

For the world's first paraplegic Avatar - both her penis-wielding friends and the rest of the world have seemingly betrayed her (by continuing to exist and functioning relatively well despite the fact that she is the obvious center of the universe) - Asami's letters hold implicit promises that a stagnant and vulnerable Korra cannot resist. In her letters, Asami makes sure to communicate three basic things to Korra: (1) "It's not the same in Republic City without you" (i.e. things stop being what they were when you leave, Korra), (2) "Things are going well here... so I'll be keeping pretty busy" (i.e. I'm not going to leave Republic City or do anything too different, so you never have to feel threatened by the idea of me growing as a person), and (3) "I just got a big contract to help redesign the city's infrastructure" (i.e. I'm going to be making serious bank. My stacks of cash are better than any penis you could find - I promise). Once again, Asami is attempting to buy love, but this time she has chosen the correct target - the only person on earth who is now as needy as her.
>>
>>90968244
This

OP is trying to find a method in the madness that is really just bad writing
>>
File: 1479949971076.png (187KB, 575x337px) Image search: [Google]
1479949971076.png
187KB, 575x337px
>>90968207
>>90968270
>>90968230
>>
File: Asami3.jpg (188KB, 1916x1076px) Image search: [Google]
Asami3.jpg
188KB, 1916x1076px
Gaining access to this temporarily dis-empowered, magical castration-machine will offer Asami protection against ever having to negotiate her penis-complex. The fear of abandonment, need for approval, and complete lack of personal identity are issues that she will never have to face again - because no penis can cast a shadow over her larger than Avatar Korra. She will forever have a sense of security and purpose in tending to Korra's narcissistic wounds. For Korra, gaining access to Asami('s money) is proactive - she was traumatized by losing her magical 'look-at-me-I'm-special powers' and her toxic shame convinced her that even if she becomes weak again - Asami's money will not. This arrangement has a dual benefit for Korra: first off, she gets that safety-net of Asami's cash, and secondly - no matter what, Korra will always be stronger than Asami. This is fundamental for Korra's psyche: if she is not the strongest (and the most admired) then she is NOTHING. The relationship with Asami - given that Asami has no real personality (and just adopts the values of whoever keeps her the safest-feeling) - perfectly suits Korra's narcissistic agenda.
>>
>>90968270
>>90968230
>>90968207

I believe Asami was pulling the strings in order to screw over fire boy.

She love him at first, but then korra came in and ruin that. So, She ruin his relationship by finding the perfect moment to throw her body at him. And then go on a quest to screw him some more.
>>
>>90968207
I wish Mako had a boyfriend and I wish Asami had a better backstory/role in the series.

That comic series will never come out, so just leave it to fanart/fanfiction to make something satisfying.
>>
But aside from the obvious personality disorder she suffers from - Just who the fuck is this girl even?

We don't even know if she went to elementary school, let alone university - but somehow at 22 years-old, she possesses the engineering skills of someone with an advanced degree and DECADES of experience?? ...In both mechanical AND civil engineering?? AND with enough competence in industrial engineering to keep her father's company afloat? And addition to that the ability to arrange and negotiate major business deals with an incredibly powerful and expansive city-state like Republic City?

This show has been haunting me for years, /co/. It's just so fucking badddddd.
>>
File: 1473495695891.jpg (142KB, 1280x741px) Image search: [Google]
1473495695891.jpg
142KB, 1280x741px
I don't know, I feel like you can make a good case for Asami always being gay, but just not having figured it out yet.
She gets with Mako in a very "Why not? Seems like the normal thing to do." And then she basically gives up on the relationship instantly too after one mild outburst. It's also made clear that she disapproves of Mako and Korra being together, but never holds anything against Korra.
Then in season 2 she makes a half-hearted attempt at scoring Mako back, in a moment of personal vulnerability. But once again, she's completely uncommitted and hanging out in the back.
Then as soon as Mako and Korra split-up officially, she throws herself at Korra and suddenly wants to become friends. And she puts a LOT more energy into being Korra's friend then she did into scoring Mako.
Whatever Korra wants, Asami will provide. Whenever Korra needs help, Asami comes running. Asami becomes almost pathologically invested in seeing Korra happy, even if it's to her own detriment.

This leads down the path that maybe Asami was misinterpreting her own feelings. When she saw Korra and Mako in love, her misgivings weren't directed at Korra. She was jealous of Mako and wanted to be in his place. She tried to take Mako back, not because he mattered to her, but because she couldn't stand the thought of Korra with him.
It seems like between S3 and 4, she did some soul searching that lead her out of the closet. She might have experimented with some other girls, so when Korra returned, she wasn't denying her feelings anymore. But didn't want to act on them either, since she didn't want to destroy their friendship. That ultimately leads to Korra taking the first step, perhaps because she feels like Asami deserves a shot at winning her heart.

With a few tweaks here and there, this would have been very easy to sell to the audience. Too bad Bryke are bad at this.
>>
>>90968726
This actually looks pretty reasonable.
>>
>>90968207
>Who the fuck is this girl even?
>Why is her dad her only friend before the show starts?
>Did she ever get to go school? Or was she homeschooled, with a lock on the outside of the door? Is that why she's so painfully needy? Why didn't the person who taught her martial arts try teaching her some self-esteem?
>From the second she meets Mako, she's immediately trying to buy his love: buying him nice clothes, taking him to restaurants and shit, sponsoring his pro-bending team, and trying to impress him and his friends with all of her mechanical swag. But do we learn anything about who she is? The only things we ever see her care about are actually the things that OTHER PEOPLE care about - her dad's company because 'muh-company', zapping her dad so that she can hang out with her boyfriend more, letting Korra get away with cocknapping her bf (because obvs. saving the Republic City only works if teh Avatar gets some major dickings). Then after witnessing some serious carnage following Amon's invasion, she goes off and becomes a war profiteer because being validated by her friends means that she must be on the right side of history.

I'm just quoting the real good part of this thread
everything else you posted is shit, OP.

You make a great point about Asami being no one before Mako.
>>
File: Asami4.jpg (91KB, 576x576px) Image search: [Google]
Asami4.jpg
91KB, 576x576px
>> 90968726

I think she was scared of Korra, honestly. I think she sees Korra as more valuable than she is - and that she must not create any conflict with her. That's the vibe I got off of her in season 1.

She only bitched out Mako, but there are a few scenes where she gives Korra some serious death-glare. She's been harsh with Mako, but I don't think she's ever looked at him with the evil-eye like she has Korra.

It makes me wonder if maybe they had animated those scenes before they had decided to rewrite her as a good guy?

Regardless of whether or not Asami was gay, doesn't her behavior kind of give you the creeps? She goes through these phases where she's got so much pent up, cold-blooded rage that she looks like a serial killer. And then the plot never addresses it, and she's completely "normal" again.

I don't know if she even really has a gender preference or even a sexuality per se - Asami just seems empty on the inside. She seems to just have an undifferentiated, infantile need for security - and will fawn over anyone who satisfies it adequately.

It would've helped the plot if she had any friends at all though - male or female. Even after the time skip, she doesn't look like she's made any friends... at all. It's hard to make calls on the sexual when she's completely lacking on the social. Where are her friends, Bryke?
>>
File: image.jpg (64KB, 435x571px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64KB, 435x571px
>mfw this thread
Dude. First of all, I think you might be insane. But I also think you might be a some sort of genious as well.

But man, you gotta chill.
>>
File: Asami_and_Bolin.png (120KB, 444x250px) Image search: [Google]
Asami_and_Bolin.png
120KB, 444x250px
>>90969177
I don't disagree that Asami was underwritten because she wasn't even supposed to be more than an obstacle for the Mako/Korra relationship originally. Keeping her on board made things very strange, because they never got around to addressing why she's friends with anybody besides Bolin, with whom she has genuine friendly chemistry.
It would have made more sense for her to be reserved about being friends with Mako and Korra again, but Bolin smooths things over.

In any case, I think the character was mishandled thoroughly, but >>90968726 is a way to make sense of her clusterfuck of a character.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.