[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else find this guy a bit perplexing in "Anastasia?"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_2309.jpg (30KB, 1000x570px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2309.jpg
30KB, 1000x570px
Anyone else find this guy a bit perplexing in "Anastasia?" Not historically speaking, just from the movie's standpoint.

>Introduced as a dark and menacing villain
>Keep being told he's cunning and manipulative
>Push the idea of him being a dangerous sorcerer who deals with powers beyond understanding
>God tier badguy song
>Every scene after his introduction he's treated as a wacky guy who doesn't really plan things, just goes off the cuff
>Loses by being bumrushed by a girl in high heels

>Has little green demons, can shoot lasers, make stone horse monsters, and earthquakes
>Somehow his "curse" was the Russian revolution, but they don't explain at all how he managed it other than his green men opening the Romanov gates for pissed off people
>Physically chased Anastasia himself when she was little instead of just laser blasting the entire family when they were together

>Sold his soul to get his powers to kill the Romanovs
>Clearly had his power and his amulet before that

I mean, he looked and sounded cool at least, I guess.
>>
>>90951739
I doubt you could fight off a girl bumrushing you even if you had magic.
>>
>>90951767
True, but the only reason that even happened was because he just stood there and let her do it.
>>
It's a Don Bluth film. The guy can't do coherent plots for shit.

What did you expect?
>>
File: Rasputin.jpg (364KB, 865x1150px) Image search: [Google]
Rasputin.jpg
364KB, 865x1150px
He sounds like a particularly stupid parody of a real person.

Who did some very odd things.
>>
>>90951810
I love Don Bluth, but the guy really did have a bizarre sense of storytelling. Most of his movies, even his god tier ones, feel like he's just doing whatever he can think of at the time then not remembering it in the next scene.
>>
>>90951911
I mean, the concept is pretty fucking cool, not to mention he looked badass and had a neato voice. The issue is that he doesn't really make sense.
>>
>>90951962
I genuinely think that he more or less just had a lot of scenes in his head that he wanted to draw and write songs to, and that splicing it all together came after that.

That's why scenes aren't spaced out by how pivotal they are to the plot, but rather, how memorable or cool they are.
>>
>>90951739
3 possibilities.

>Fox executives really wanted to tone back any potential violence to make the movie more family friendly
>Don Bluth, as a mormon, REALLY hates the Russian Orthodox Church
>both
>>
>>90951739
Wouldn't the Soviets have made better villains than Rasputin?

Why not have Stalin send some bumbling assassins to follow them all over Europe instead.
>>
>>90953586
That would be too close to "russians are the villains". Too bold, not eastern Europe-friendly.
>>
>>90953721
But in a story about Anastasia escaping west, the Russians would be the only enemies.
>>
>>90953833
Yes, precisely. The problem though, you would not be able to sell the movie in Russia. It was actually well received there, in its existing form.
>>
>>90951739

I bet Hitler could do it...

> Get ready for the replies!
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.