[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You think they'll buckle down and make him Asian given

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 9

You think they'll buckle down and make him Asian given how the show did?
>>
>>90918171
>this character knows martial arts so of course he should be asian
Isn't that just as racist?
>>
>>90918171
No. Fuck off with your SJW garbage.
>>
>>90918198
>uses martial arts created in Asia
>is a master of it and better than Asians at it
>explains martial arts to an actual Asian lady with her own dojo
>>
>>90918171
Nope. They'll bury him and we'll never have to suffer through another adaptation again.

We could get Shang-Chi though and that would be dope.
>>
>>90918171
No, they'll probably call this series a failure and create another Marvel series, never having learned anything. So, you'll just get another gritty and "Down to Earth" superhero series.

>Thinking the show failed because of race
>Not the fact that it was slow and very boring
>>
>>90918274
>Person from Itally makes pasta

>Person from Russia makes pasta better

>Russian dude tells Italian dude who to make pasta better.

>"WTF YOU RACIST SHIT! I should be the one who's good at making pasta!"
>>
>>90918347
Pretty sure that's what people think. Doesn't help that some half Asian was actually considered for the role.
>>
No.
It's one thing to replace a character and entirely different thing to race change him. If they want to replace him then they've got to pull some major bullshit consider he's already teaching the next IF, who is an asian 8 year old girl

>>90918274
>uses martial arts created in Asia
And taught in a multi-dimensional city
>is a master of it and better than Asians at it
Woah, its almost as if its a skill you can teach as opposed to having kung-fu in your blood
>explains martial arts to an actual Asian lady with her own dojo
An Asian lady who is American-Chinese/Japanese, clearly has issues with her students and her own skills.

>>90918465
>Doesn't help that some half Asian was actually considered for the role.
Who? The only active member of IF I heard that applied for the role was the Drunken Master, who was a fucking awful actor any time he had to talk
>>
>>90918171
>Terrigen cloud shows up
>Danny is in a cocoon
>Emerges Asian, with no other powers

problem solved?
>>
File: wrong.jpg (202KB, 1050x641px)
wrong.jpg
202KB, 1050x641px
they just need to hire some competent choreographers
>>
File: OHF_stunt_actor_Lewis_Tan.jpg (64KB, 441x594px) Image search: [Google]
OHF_stunt_actor_Lewis_Tan.jpg
64KB, 441x594px
>>90918483
Truthfully I haven't watched the show but yeah. I mean pic related
>>
File: Christmas-Vacation.jpg (55KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
Christmas-Vacation.jpg
55KB, 900x506px
I just heard the show is really boring.

That it's some amazing kung fu action show that has zero kung fu action within it, and consists of people walking and talking a whole lot.
>>
>>90918274
He's not even the best of the K'un Lun. What are you talking about?
>>
>>90918723
meet danny rand, the immortal weapon! watch in amazement as he
LISTENS TO HIS IPOD IN THE PARK
SITS IN BOARD ROOM MEETINGS
MEDITATES QUIETLY ON THE FLOOR
DESCRIBES INCREDIBLE THINGS THAT HAPPENED OFF SCREEN WHICH YOU NEVER SEE
AWKWARDLY LOSES HIS VIRGINITY IN HIS 30s
SLOWLY DOES TAI CHI

make sure not to miss MARVELs IRON FIST
>>
>>90918589
You realize that hurting people is actually discouraged in acting, right?
>>
>>90918858
>HIS 30s
He's mid 20's. Lost when he was 10/11 and been in K'un L'un for 15 years
>>
>>90918409
Italians just appropriated Pasta from Asians.
>>
File: IpMan_BruceLee_Chisao_Color.jpg (54KB, 720x456px) Image search: [Google]
IpMan_BruceLee_Chisao_Color.jpg
54KB, 720x456px
Give Danny a pupil

It's part of the martial arts story tradition, and would give the character some much-needed meat now that the Heroes for Hire book has split into solo books again, and his relationship with Misty is still in the shitter because Spencer is waifuing her in Captain Falcon
>>
>>90918884
they do arm bars all the time in professional wrestling so I don't think they actually hurt
>>
>>90918884
you can apply the correct position of the hold without putting any pressure into it
They did a close up hero shot of something that was completely wrong

its equivalent to a character acting like they are being strangled while the other person has their hands resting on their collar bones. It isn't even in the same ballpark of being correct
>>
>>90918171
We've had 13 episodes of him in the solo series and will get him in the Defenders. We've had more than enough time to get used to him.
No
>>
File: grid-cell-13852-1390511300-6.jpg (100KB, 625x309px) Image search: [Google]
grid-cell-13852-1390511300-6.jpg
100KB, 625x309px
>>90918884
you realize that you don't actually have to hurt people to make great looking fight scenes, right?

although it helps
>>
>>90918198
No, it's way more racist.

>>90918274
Danny is not from K'un L'un. Him being good at martial arts because of his Asian genes is very racist.
>>
File: Marvel_NOW_catalog_45.jpg (126KB, 884x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Marvel_NOW_catalog_45.jpg
126KB, 884x1200px
>>90918962
He's got one now, though I dunno if she's gonna be in anything till the Iron Fists mini.

They're split for now but Defenders is coming. Hopefully the new ongoing is alright
>>
>>90918589
>Someone actually took the time to make this when the entire scene was a shit show in competent martial art choreography.
>>
>>90918641
His Drunken style was on point. Very good. I'd have liked to see him and just a jackass master that bugged Danny from time to time instead of a Hand Puppet.
>>
>>90918277
Shang Chi: as dull and stereotypically racist as shit.
>>
>>90918171
They'll refocus the character a bit for The Defenders and everyone will love him. End of thread.
>>
>>90918274
You know out of everything people bitched about this was probably what actually pissed me off.

This kind of thinking is 1950s China is strok bullshit that actually ended up making Kung Fu even more of a joke after the Mao defanging.
>>
>>90918988
>although it helps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79ditPebZ8g

>2:50
>that dresser wasn't a prop
>>
The Ping Pong Wing Wong series will blow people away. On the Ching Chong Channel.
>>
>>90919021
>Announced sometime around july last year

>Said its still totally being worked on 3 months ago

>Solitcs for june still don't have it

>Different iron fist comic coming out

Chances are its gone the way of blade and his daughter
>>
File: Defenders-EW-Danny-and-Colleen.jpg (882KB, 2700x1800px) Image search: [Google]
Defenders-EW-Danny-and-Colleen.jpg
882KB, 2700x1800px
>>90919184
This.

I'm pretty certain whoever's running the show already gets IF 10x better than Scott Buck. I know its a small thing but even just making Finn Jones actually look like Danny with his haircut as opposed to a fucking 19 year old hipster.

Who is showrunning Defenders?
>>
>>90918171
>given how the show did?
Popular among fans and hated by critics? I think they'll be okay.
>>
>>90919159
Moench/Gulacy Master of Kung Fu > Any Iron Fist Story
>>
>>90918274
>only Asians can be good at marital arts
>>
>>90919308
Not true.
>>
>Marvel in the 70s: we want to cash in in this Oriental chop-socky craze the kids are into but we also don't want to have an actual Oriental as the lead and David Carridane might sue so let's just have Iron Fist be a white guy

Okay, it's not an inherently racist idea but it's, for lack of a better word, problematic
>>
>>90919357
Hello tumblr.
>>
>>90918171
The show did poorly because it was boring, not because some bloggers were pissed about Danny being white. Every review I've seen boiled down to "it was dull". The only people talking about Danny's race are /pol/ babies with a victim complex who think the tumblr illuminati sabotaged the show and it would've totally done well if they hadn't written those nasty blog posts that everyone totally read and cared about.
>>
>>90919357
kung fu is about buddhism, not chinese culture. and buddhism came from india
indians are caucasian

it belongs to a white man more than chinese
>>
>>90919468
>The show did poorly
But it in fact did not at all do poor. The audience had been positive.
>>
Is Danny as big on no-killing in the comics? I thought he was all about revenge and shit?
>>
>>90919332
Well, they're super huge on putting the needs of the family before the needs of the individual over in Asia, so divorce rates are naturally going to be a lot lower than here in Burgerland.
>>
>>90919498
>indians are caucasian
No, Argentina, you still can't be white.
>>
>>90919468
nobody on /pol/ thinks this. We are too busy making fun of amy jewmer for doing the same thing you are accusing us of. She thinks her "comedy" special only has a 1 star rating because trolls raided netflix to downvote it
>>
>>90919282
One of them was the guy who did DD SE2.
>>
>>90919589
Haha yeah I saw that too. what a dumb bitch. Anyway even if you haven't seen any /pol/ kids expressing that sentiment doesn't mean it's not happening. I've seen plenty of people posting about how we should all go watch iron fist because marvel has the balls to stand up to the SJWs and keep Danny white etc. It's two sides of the same coin. Both are essentially saying "I know this thing is bad but please watch it anyway for political reasons"
>>
>>90919585
the upper caste of Indians were caucasian and that's a fact memester
>>
>>90918171
That's a nice look, but why not make a new character? It's not like chi is particularly hard to fluff into someone's character, it's just breathing right.
>>
>>90919308
Absolutely false.
>>
>>90919544
The audience is not as compelled to agree with the SJW crowd.
>>
>>90918171
Apparently there was a half British half Chinese actor in this show, with martial arts experience, who WASN'T Shang-Chi?

Is he a shitty actor?
>>
>>90918465
It would be like that shitty Rush Hour TV adaption all over again.
>>
>>90918274
Asians aren't the only people in the world.
>>
>>90919357
Then that's an argument to maybe get rid of Iron Fist entirely, or else heavily revise the concept. Wanting to race-bend Rand for representation alone is a little goofy, and that seems to be the source of a lot of discontent, not the premise. The entire point of the character is that he's kind of between worlds, isn't it? His being Chinese wouldn't really benefit the story in any particular way -- it would just be an extension of the very superficial and shallow idea that only Asian guys can do martial arts. There's nothing intrinsically deleterious about making him Asian either, but the verve of some people over it seems to miss the point. I guess I ought to burn my gi.
>>
>>90919021
What happened to Powerboy?
>>
File: 1439374324529.jpg (18KB, 168x201px) Image search: [Google]
1439374324529.jpg
18KB, 168x201px
>>90923642
>Rush Hour TV adaption

I heard about one for Lethal Weapon but I had no idea.
>>
>>90923697
yes.
>>
>>90923697
You mean that teenage powerman? Him and white tiger vanished from comics after the ultimate spider-man cartoon got cancelled. Like how reptil got killed off after hero squad got cancelled
>>
>>90923712
Lethal Weapon is the comfiest show on tv
>>
>>90923694
I agree with every one of your points. Don't burn your gi though sensei will be sad
>>
>>90923697
Ewing used him in Mighty Avengers, and New Avengers, but he left in the end of New.
>>
>>90918171
Why?
The whole fucking point of Iron fist is thay he's a foriegner to the K'un Lun and yet he mastered it
If they're so hell bent on "muh diversity" i could accept a black iron fist, but not turn Danny into Danegro
>>
>>90918171
Just use Shang-Chi geez, he fucking deserves a spotlight.
>>
>>90923967
>>90923803
I meant him as the heir to Iron Fist since he sort of was that.
>>
>>90923898
Its a solid adaption.
>>
>>90923556
Yes, very
>>
>>90918723
It picks up the pace from episode 6 onward. There's still a fair amount of nothing, but less.

The fact that the first 6 episodes is what the critics previewed probably dragged it down more than it deserved. Not too much more, though.
>>
>>90918274
>I have no idea who Shang-Chi is
>I will demand that Iron Fist be asian
>>
>>90919468
Only the two first episodes were. Everything else ranged from mediocre to good. The Hand was a better handled than it was in DD even.
>>
>>90918198
ideally wat people want is a half Asian or third generation Asian to be the main character since the whole conflict of identity would then actually make sense and lead to more interesting avenues of character develop that are rarely explored.
>>
If Rand pulled his eyes back and ended every sentence with "ding dong ching chong" absolutely no one would get cancer or shot, chinese wouldn't be paid less and their men wouldn't go sterile.
Nothing tangilbe or important would happen. Some faggot's insecure feelings would be challenged. The idea of race-bending or eliminating the character shouldn't be entertained. It's a bad solution to a problem that isn't real
>>
>>90923694
no, by having him be Asian, half Asian, or at least culturally connected in some meaningful way beforehand would allow a deeper exploration of the third culture kid feeling people of multiple heritages and cultures feel. Its a different experience than being the foreigner or the native. Its not nearly explored enough and the writing would be refreshing although possibly require more nuance.
>>
>>90928686
But it's a fantasy land. You're suggesting an American character be Asian-American simply because he ends up in a mystical Asian place?
>culturally connected
He was raised there.

Whether Iron Fist (especially the TV series, which I haven't watched) handles these things gracefully or in an interesting way is a different story.
>>
>>90928533
Except that's not true, faggot. They want a full fledged ching chong playing the karate dude.
>>
>>90918277
Or maybe just get other people to do Season 2. We'll see his potential in Defenders.
>>
>>90929378
They should just do Heroes for Hire after Defenders.
>>
>>90919562
He wanted to kill the fuck out of Harold Meachum. But when he finally got to him, in a wheelchair, basically saying "I've known you were going to kill me for ten years. Get it over with." he couldn't do it.
>>
>>90919357
I would advise you not to use the shit tier catch all phrase of the intellectually inferior.
>>
>>90918171
Episodes 5-11 were fucking great. I dont understand the no kung fu meme. Definitely better fights than most MCU movies.

>Colleen death cages
>Death Tournament
>Drunken Kung Fu fight
>Bakuto fight
>Danny and Davos v 20 ninjas
>>
>>90918171
As an Asian, I'd rather not be apart of some SJW propaganda campaign. I can guarantee you most of these people complaining about race aren't Asian at all (you can tell because we actually do our research. Also we're only 5% of the total population of the US so not much voice to be heard).

A prominent ORIGINAL Asian American superhero would be nice, though. Kungfu focused or not. DC is doing pretty good shit with New Super-man. Only problem is he ain't American
>>
>>90931423
See >>90928067 dude. Seriously why are casuals so damn dumb. Literally just google asian Marvel characters. Have these fucking idiots never heard of the Heroes for Hire?
>>
>>90918171
we should have a filipino superhero that throws halo halo at his enemies and has ultra fishing powers
>>
>>90931468
>Shang-chi
>Prominent
Every other Asian Marvel character is literally who or another shitty kungfu master. Get out with that lame shit.

I'm talking about characters who's heritage actually matters outside of "I learned to punch things very well growing up."
>>
>>90931857
>disrespecting Shang Chi the best kung fu master in the MU

Nigga you gay
>>
Hopefully they make a season 2 that doesn't try to Bendis-ize everything and gets an actually decent showrunner.

Seriously this show is a prime example of the "cinematic universe" horseshit actively ruining something, instead of making a show tailored to the character they start with "how can we take the Daredevil formula and put Iron Fist in it?"

>>90919562
Kun Lun is basically Buddhism + Confuscianism + Taoism, all of which place importance on human life and taking a passive approach to combat. Of course, this contradicts the entire idea of vigilante justice. I'm not well-read on Iron Fist's solo comics so I don't know how this is dealt with in the comics if at all. But from what I know of the character from his many crossover appearances is that he's pretty chill and into zen and meditation in order to complement Luke Cage's proactive, "GET READY YOU MOTHER FOR THE BIG PAYBACK" style of crime fighting.
>>
>>90919589
She was so great before she got big.
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.