[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why has every cartoon depiction of D&D been completely and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 240
Thread images: 45

File: images.jpg (9KB, 260x194px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9KB, 260x194px
Why has every cartoon depiction of D&D been completely and totally inaccurate?
>>
>>90837430
How was the Dexter one innacurrate?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
>>90837430
>>90837646
And you're walking...and you're walking...and you're walking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTJU2hz9hF0
>>
File: smallest gif i could find.gif (502KB, 250x141px) Image search: [Google]
smallest gif i could find.gif
502KB, 250x141px
>>90837430
>Only a game designed by nerds would have "Charisma" as a fantasy power.

Seems right to me.
>>
>GM is the kind of dick that sees the dynamic of "GM vs Players" as one that ultimately has to end in his victory, rather than the other way around
>possibly cheats to facilitate this
>generally annoying to be around
>tolerate it because despite that, he's still willing to put the campaign together and host the game every week
>house is actually kinda nice, so it's not all bad
>also GM's mom provides snacks and is kinda thicc, so more than one of the player party has a not-so-secret yin for her
>"I don't even know why we play this game with you" gets said at least once a week
>everyone still shows up for the next session

Yeah, no, that's pretty much my high school tabletop experience. Especially the dice cheating.
>>
>>90837793
No, that's pretty accurate when playing with a DM who doesn't know what they're doing.
>>
>>90838059
DMs can just say fuck it and change the outcome of die rolls anyway. It's not really cheating if it keeps the players on track or keeping them from doing dumb ass shit.
>>
>>90838741
Well, sure, I'm as big a proponent of "progression and fun above rules and rolls" as anybody, but I think we've all experienced the kind of GM Dexter is meant to be a parody of. He doesn't bend the rules because he's trying to help his players progress, he does it because he enjoys the power trip of constantly screwing them over.

Hell, that's the whole reason his friends want Dee Dee to take a turn as GM- they want to see what it's like to play in a campaign they actually have a prayer of succeeding in.
>>
>>90837430
because the rules are trademarked/copyrighted
>>
File: S2e13_dungeons_game.png (4MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
S2e13_dungeons_game.png
4MB, 1920x1080px
>>90837430
This one was actually accurate though?

Anyway nerds always romanticize D&D because they've never actually played it but like the sound of it. It's always weird talking to people who would like to play it, but have the most baffling misconceptions about it or have played it once in a group that completely misunderstood all the rules.

I talked to a guy who once was nostalgic about his one D&D session where he played with 14 other players.
>>
>>90837430
Because actual D&D would make for a super boring cartoon
>>
>>90839965
I've played almost once a week for 3 years now. Gravity Falls was closest to most accurate, but mostly because of the jokes about it. Most shows probably have to fudge the details because Wizards of the Coast is anal about copyrights and D&D is an exceptionally complicated game that takes a long time to learn.
>>
>>90839965
14 players? Christ, I bet only two or three of them had ever played before. I don't pity that DM, though; organizing a session like that is a conscious choice, one clearly borne out of ignorance.
>>
>>90840111
>implying harmonquest wasnt amazing
>>
>>90837430

The only thing that really strikes me as inaccurate is the way shows depict rulesets in games. Other than that, most of them are fine.
>>
cause no one actually cares about it to the point of being accurate with it in cartoons
>>
>>90838741
I disagree

If you're the GM and you want something to happen don't fudge the dice, don't even roll at all, just say it happens. You have that power, but once you roll the dice you're explicitly breaking the implied contract with the players that dice are only rolled when the result has meaning.
>>
>>90839965
>It's always weird talking to people who would like to play it, but have the most baffling misconceptions about it or have played it once in a group that completely misunderstood all the rules.
Just like Monopoly!
>>
>>90840630
Rolling the dice (especially if it's concealed) gives the players the illusion that there was ever a doubt of the outcome.
>>
>>90839965
Gravity Falls's DnD was goddamn offensive. The game somehow has a rulebook the size of a dictionary and gameplay starts by making a line graph... and yet somehow the rules consist of "you can make up whatever you want!" Nevermind the fact that this is contradictory nonsense, it somehow got both extremes of the classic wrong idea of what the game is. And it has "banned" monsters, as if the game was competitive. I think someone had MTG in mind and thought it was all the same game.

They did get one thing right though, even if it was probably on accident. When you try to get people to play they get bored and zone out before you even finish explaining what the fucking game even is, much less how gameplay works. And they focus on some specific fantasy thing they want to do, like, "I want to be an elf!" or "I wanna ride a unicorn!" or whatever. BUT ON THE FLIP SIDE if they actually get them to play it, they find that an imagination game where you can do whatever is actually a lot of fun and not boring at all.
>>
>>90840111
https://youtu.be/YacKar7y3mc
>>
>>90840959
I remember Alex Hirsch saying the week that episode aired that he's never played D&D, he just worked with what people told him about it. I distinctly remember him saying he turned down a chance to play with Pen Ward and JG Quintel, which sounds like the biggest mistake you could ever possibly make.
>>
>>90841078
>Ranger
>Barbarian
>Magician
>Thief
>Cavalier
>Acrobat
Oh man that tickled my autism pretty bad
>>
>>90837430
You ever wonder how D&D would be if it was set in the hood?
G&G Ghettos & Gangsta's
>>
File: 1488477752494.gif (289KB, 368x363px) Image search: [Google]
1488477752494.gif
289KB, 368x363px
>>90840796
>play monopoly
>someone lands on a property they don't own
>"ok, time for an auction"
>LOL WOW ANON ALREADY MAKING UP RULES
>>
File: 1443821551268.gif (2MB, 235x180px) Image search: [Google]
1443821551268.gif
2MB, 235x180px
>>90838059
>Omin Dran
>Viari
>Jim Dark Magic
>Binwin
>>
>>90838250
Amateur DM here. What do instead? Just fast travel? With random encounters?
>>
>>90841178
>a D&D game between the creators of my three favorite cartoons
goddamn, what might have been
>>
>>90841577
>not playing monopoly with pure unregulated capitalism rules
>>
File: Bowmans_revelation.jpg (70KB, 1128x839px) Image search: [Google]
Bowmans_revelation.jpg
70KB, 1128x839px
>>90839965
>I talked to a guy who once was nostalgic about his one D&D session where he played with 14 other players.
>14 Players
>>
>>90841787
If someone has to make a long journey just say it happened, charge them for the passing of time, and only interrupt it if something interesting happens. What kind of long trip would your players be making that you hadn't planned for anyway?
>>
>>90841577
>auction
Woah, anon. You're such a faggot.
>>
>>90841577
That rule doesn't even make much sense. If it's a property no one wants, why have an auction and force someone to buy it?
>>
Hey, lads! Wanna DnD here, right now?
>>
>>90841787
Forever DM here. I normally travel between sessions. Like, at the end of one session I'll say, "Since you guys have decided to take a ship to Avonclear, we'll pick up next week stranded on the Isle of Woe." Traveling is boring, skip it when you can.
>>
>>90840803
It's a really weak illusion. Either say it happens, or roll openly.

Don't be a damn pussy.
>>
>>90842064
I do this, but if it's a dangerous area they're traversing I'll roll on an encounter chart. If I don't roll anything relevant than I'll just have them show up at their destination immediately.
>>
>>90841972
You are legitimately fucking triggering me right now.

One of my life's goals is to complete a stock game of monopoly with no one quitting. This shit is fucking impossible, no one ever reads the rules and people will ragequit for no fucking reason. It is the worst.

>>90842045
Auctions start at 5 dollars, why would no one want cheap property? That's the point of the game.
>>
>>90841178
That does sound rad as hell, dang.
I wonder if Pen is still into DnD at all, he seems to have hopped onto the VR bandwagon.
>>
>>90842176
I hear Pen LOVES tabletop roleplaying, which sounds reasonable, he seems like that kind of guy. No idea about Quintel.
>>
What's the best tabletop roleplaying game, anyway?
>>
>>90842059
>>>/qst/
Unless you're serious. Then >>>/qst and post link
>>
>>90841605
...SON OF A BITCH!
>>
>>90837430
What, you mean how they make it look fun instead of needlessly complex and boring?
>>
>>90841939
That's nothing. I ran a campaign for eight years that had, at its peak, twenty players, and went from level 1 to 20. We made it all the way to the end.
>>
>>90841178
It wasn't Quintel, Pat McHale actually.
>I never did, actually! But one time back in my Flapjack days Pen Ward (creator of Adventure Time) and Pat McHale (creator of Over The Garden Wall) asked if I wanted to play D&D after work. I asked what the rules were, and they said, “It’s a game of imagination! There are no rules!” and then proceeded to argue about the rules for an hour and a half. I haven’t played since. But I should probably give it another try.
>>
>>90842267
That would be a question to ask /tg/, but only if you want 400+ posts of angry arguments.

The actual answer is, "Whichever system you prefer playing."
>>
>>90837430
Because an accurate depiction wouldn't be funny or interesting.
>>
>>90842552
That's even worse of a miss-out.
>>
>>90841949
I planned for long trips, but I guess not really much inbetween. Like I have a plan for my session in two days of players going to a sort of checkpoint to map out an unexplored region.

The trip is realistically a few days in game with remnants of civilization thinning out as they go across a large river. What plans for stuff like that? Have them stop at small settlements to rest as they come, and encounter various creatures as they rest in wilderness?
>>
>>90842267

Depends entirely on what you want to do, since each system usually has a particular setting or game style that it's good at (while also being terrible at other settings or play styles). I'm not familiar enough with all the systems to give you the proper matching sets of what goes with what, but I can tell you the most malleable and most popular systems.

The most universal is GURPS, but you're going to have to do most of the legwork to adapt it to whatever you're doing.

Obviously the biggest kid on the block is Dungeons and Dragons, and within that you have people fighting over which edition is best (typically 3.5/PF vs 5), but it still maintains dominance through brand recognition alone.
>>
File: 26662.jpg (27KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
26662.jpg
27KB, 480x360px
>>90842142
>When someone doesn't want to buy your defunct railroad company, so you forcibly hold an auction with all of the local warlords in order to get 5 dollars USD™, violating the Laissez-faire economic NAP, so you hire the Park Place™ Private Army© to take over the Railroad property from the Thimble and keep his 5 dollars USD™
>>
>>90842745
see
>>90842138
>>
>>90840959
>Never seen the Rules Cyclopedia
>Never played back in OD&D times where everything DID have to draw maps on line paper
>Not aware of the optional monsters that you'd only use if that module was meant for tournament play

Can you please fuck off back to 3.5?
>>
>>90842267
This >>90842557
Each system has things that cater to specific settings and specific feels, so there is no one best system. And unlike vidya which generally has prewritten adventures and settings, this is up to GM discretion to utilize.

I know someone who doesn't like d@nda because he thinks it's a pretty basic game that doesn't deserve it's popularity. He relinquishes though that it's good for what it's made for. IE: A dungeon crawling adventure and not like a Space Opera.
>>
>>90841362
So, attack the block?
>>
>>90841939
Tournament play, nigga. The original Blackmoor campaign was still running up until the creator passed away. There were dozens of players, some of whom were either literally the children/grandchildren of the original players who were sometimes gifted if their character sheets.
>>
>>90841328
>tfw those classes are totally real in 1E, but no one remembers them anymore except from the old cartoon.
>>
File: 1488688517483.jpg (130KB, 336x792px) Image search: [Google]
1488688517483.jpg
130KB, 336x792px
>bag of holding

Is that a real thing? Who named this crap.
>>
>>90842059
Link or method and I could try and get in
>>
>tfw always wanted to try D&D, but never had anyone to play with
>>
>>90843307
Yep. Item space can be a bitch.
>>
>>90841362
Shadowrun, technically.
>>
>>90843355
H-hi anon. Amateur GM here.
>>
>>90842542
But why?
>>
>>90843355

If you want to try playing with random assholes on the internet, go to roll20 or some other site. Alternatively, go to /tg/, you can find a game there, either in one of the dedicated threads for one of the DnD systems or in a gamefinder thread.

If you want to play with real people, step one is to attempt to make friends.
Step two is hope they also want to play. If not, return to step one and acquire more friends.
Step three is fucking play.
>>
>>90843355
Can always try your luck and find a group on Roll20
>>
>>90840380
>actual dnd
>harmonquest

Harmonquest wasn't even close to actual dnd. It was guided improv with dice occasionally.
That being said, it was pretty good.
>>
>>90843307
It was named by a couple of nerdy dads from the 70s trying to make as much stuff in their fantasy boardgame sound mystical and medievil sounding.

That being said, the item is basically like a bag from a cartoon; it's the size of a purse but the inside can be as big as an bedroom to a whole pocket dimension.

D&D even has cartoon portable holes. It was never as deadly serious as grognards and 3.5 player try to make it out to be.
>>
>>90837430
because actual D&D is pretty damn complex and intricate and wouldnt be possible to explain in a single 22 minute cartoon?
>>
>>90841605
idgi
>>
>>90843786
I think the best way to do it would be to just do the game as you normally would, throwing around game jargon and all that, but have someone in the game that doesn't understand what the fuck is going on.
>>
>>90843786
Well, the cartoon wasn't suppose to teach you how to play; it just happened to be set in a D&D world with the characters aware that they're particular player classes.
>>
>>90843433
>>90843355
I also always wanted to try but no frieds. What about we try something?
>>
>>90844172
What time zone is you. I'm pretty shit and need the practice
>>
>>90843990
That would be hilarious coupled with whatever tactics the DM can come up with to discourage metagaming. I'm pretty fond of my own DM's method of
>As you discuss game elements, you feel the earth tremble beneath you. You don't know what will happen if you continue, but you get the feeling it will be very bad.
>>
>>90843552
Because I was told it couldn't be done, and I wanted to create the biggest, most epic in scale campaign I could. So I gathered twenty players, six of whom quit over the years, and each of them played four characters, each from a different realm that united in the final adventures to defeat three arch-fiends who plotted to ascend beyond the power of the gods. The final battle took a month to play through.

It was glorious.

One of these days I'll storytime it on /tg/. It's just a shitton of text to type up, so I've been slacking.
>>
>>90844279
CST.

Memexico City. I'm pretty much available at any hour though because >neet.
>>
>>90844349
Yeah I'm sorry this just sounds awful dude
>>
>>90844384
You got a Discord?
>>
>>90844653
No, but I guess I can create one.
>>
>>90844349
That sounds amazing. I'm making it my mission to top you. 25 players, 5 characters each. Watch me fucking do it.
>>
>>90844732
Anyone else wants in on this? For 5e?
>>
>I played D&D with some locals at a comic shop
>friendly bunch and they were pretty into it
>tfw I don't have the personality to really immerse into (monk) role

Anyone feel like they would like to be apart of these roleplaying tabletop games but can't really get into it because of your introverted personality?
>>
>>90838250
In our early sessions, me and the dm came up with these weird timed bonding sessions if there weren't random encounters
It was to get the characters to know each other better, and we came up with some weird in universe reason for it too

They didn't go over well with anybody, and using resulted in the party splitting up for 1-3 hours
>>
>>90837430
Because you can't make watching other people play a game, especially one that's not very visual and has lots of rules, fun to watch.
>>
>>90844571
*shrug* Different strokes for different folks.

>>90844761
Godspeed, anon.
>>
>>90842552
>“It’s a game of imagination! There are no rules!” and then proceeded to argue about the rules for an hour and a half
EVERY. FUCKING. TIME.

I want to play fantasy, shit. If I wanted to deal with numbers and rules and stats and charts I'd be playing a video game.
>>
>>90837430
>faggot OP shitting on an episode Gygax himself loved
you're denser than fucking neutronium
>>
>>90842267
Star Wars D6 is probably my favorite to DM because of how loose and fast it moves.
>>
>>90845881
Gygax probably loved it because those Dexter was how he DM'd and Dee Dee is how he felt most other people DM'd.
>>
>>90842421
What's the joke?
>>
>>90842267
Maid RPG
>>
>>90839965
>I talked to a guy who once was nostalgic about his one D&D session where he played with 14 other players.
I have, in fact, played in such a game. The DM had an assistant DM who was in charge of all the numbers shit (tracking HP, comparing rolls to targets, shit like that) and the PCs had a "helper" guy who basically went around the table and made sure everyone was ready to go with "locked in" decisions so by the time it was their turn they just dropped the dice, the book-keeper DM would take notes and announce if something was dead or not. If something relevant happened the actual DM would narrate it.

It was a one-off. The LGS we played at was having a New Years party and they wanted that to be the thing.

I legit had a ton of fun.
>>
>>90844732
Status, anon?
>>
>>90843370
>>90843748
It's also the source of massive metagaming bullshit ewhere you have 500 pounds of whatever inside a small space, and turning the thing inside out or combining with a portable hole creates massive shenanigans

Someone post that PortableHole + Bag of Holding delivery system some engineer whipped up
>>
>>90842421
GET ME A DRINK!
>>
>always liked the idea of D&D
>don't want to cross that line
That would be the end of me, I think.
>>
>>90846206
5e actually made it to where you can't combine bag of holding and portable holes. They explode and suck you into an unreachable part of the Astral Sea if you do it now.
>>
>>90846289
>The amount of money I've spent in books
>The amount of time I've spent playing the game
>The amount of content I created for other people to enjoy

A life wasted living other lives.
>>
>>90846293
I think that was the point. Someone made a specially engineered arrow that would combine the PH and the BoH on impact thus creating a Medieval black hole launcher
>>
because nobody has ever done a real D&D game. Gamemaster always has their own rules in some way
>>
>>90837793
The joke:
Dee Dee doesn't really know to DM and is stalling for time. A thing that new DMs do all the fucking time.

It's actually accurate and funny to whoever played with a newer DM.
>>
>>90846289
I think 3.5 kinda ruined the idea of "friendly round of D&D" for most people. Back in the day, you'd just pull out a module and your session would be trying to get through that module.

Imagine making a RPG character and then going into one of the bigger dungeons from Link to the Past, but with more monsters and a shitton more loot and that's what D&D was suppose to be, instead of these epic sprawling stories where you do have to dedicate time and effort into them.
>>
I can't remember if I'm on /tg/ or not.
>>
>>90837877
That's the only accurate joke from that episode.
>>
>>90843355
Same.

almost had a game going online with a bunch of 4chan perverts but organizing it was hell and everybody lost interest
>>
>>90846436
Consider this and /tg/ are the only boards I browse this thread has made me pretty happy
>>
>>90846072
some friends and I rolled that shit for a session once as a lark, it turned out laughably awkward

>roll a robot trap catboy combat maid who wields a spear-broom is catastrophically bad at cleaning and flirts with anything with a pulse b/c he was built as a pleasure droid first
>friend rolls a narcoleptic half-volcano elemental who handles the house finances when she's not going "dormant" for a hundred years at a time
>other friend rolls a loli assassin forced to wear transparent uniforms to prevent sneaking in weapons, she's put on kitchen duty
>>
>>90846368
OH. That's fucking genius. I thought you meant that they figured out how to jam a bunch of bags of holding into a portable to have an object of infinite mass.

I now want to us this blackhole arrow in my campaign, but I know that my players will literally try to use it to solve ever fight.
>>
>>90846376
>real D&D game
Don't pull that "but that wasn't real communism, so..." bullshit. There's no such thing as "Reall D&D" because the whole point was to have "Da Rules" and then a DM's House Rulings which overruled those rules.
>>
>>90846071
The party makeup in the D&D Dexter sketch is very similar in appearance to the Penny Arcade D&D crew's characters and I never saw it until anon pointed it out.
>>
>>90837430
Stranger Things on netflix got it wrong too.

"i cast fireball"

yeah takes 3 rounds to cast in regular first edition or 2nd edition which was what they were playing since it's set in the 80s. that spell doesn't happen immediately unless maybe you cast it from a wand or a staff
>>
File: gurps.webm (2MB, 420x526px) Image search: [Google]
gurps.webm
2MB, 420x526px
>>90837430
Ironically, Dexter is the only one that I know of that did it right.

>>90842267
GURPS
Seriously though It depends on what you want to run. I have a chart on my computer, I'll see if I can find it.
>>
>>90841178
Oh boy, they could have sat around and jerked each other off about how much they all hate Trump. What a missed opportunity of those brilliant minds.
>>
>>90846798
Who doesn't have a shitty staff stolen from a low level boss at all times
>>
>>90846936
Funnily enough, that event happened years ago and was bereft of any political influence, so suck my fucking dick, /pol/boi
>>
>>90846936
You sure do like making yourself mad don't you anon?
>>
File: pick a system.jpg (2MB, 3150x2400px) Image search: [Google]
pick a system.jpg
2MB, 3150x2400px
>>90846917
>>90842267
Here we go.
>>
File: 1487145720996.jpg (223KB, 667x654px) Image search: [Google]
1487145720996.jpg
223KB, 667x654px
>>90846516
>not going to /a/ once a month for Dungeon Meshi threads
>>
>>90846558
I could never play it if it required me to be in the same room as the other players, but it's a blast online.

I genuinely do like the dice system portion of it though because it's so simple and straightforward that you can all but literally play anything you want. For someone like me that's much more interested in the roleplaying aspect than stat-based combat, it's perfect.
>>
>>90847078
Anyone claiming Alex Hirsch is 'bereft of political influence' is a shitbag liar. All he did for the last 18 months is post on Twitter about how evil Trump was and all of his supporters, comparing them to maggots and locust plagues. That's not keeping it low key or keeping oneself 'bereft of political influence'.
>>
>>90842267
Do you want to sit down and play a game with a few friends and finish it that afternoon or do you want to play a campaign and meet every week for a year?

Chances are it's the former so look into boxed games like Hero Quest.
>>
>>90842267
FATAL
_______________:^)
>>
>>90846798
>from a wand or a staff
wasn't it second edition that established scroll preparation as the meat and 2 veg of wizardry? blow all your money and spells per day for like a week at a time just making scrolls and never be caught out of spells
>>
>>90838059
Dexter & Dee Dee both can represent two styles of GMing
Dexter favored "Roll" play.
Dee Dee favored "Role" play.

Dexter would fudge dice rolls in favor of the monsters to make it more challenging.
Dee Dee would fudge them in favor of the players.
Which one was wrong? HINT: Neither.
>>
>>90846936
>>90847192
I wonder if people like this are being ironic

I really hope so
>>
>>90837430

D&D has never been accurately depicted in any fictional medium
>>
>>90841577
>playing Monopoly
There's your problem.
>>
>>90842142
>One of my life's goals is to complete a stock game of monopoly with no one quitting. This shit is fucking impossible, no one ever reads the rules and people will ragequit for no fucking reason. It is the worst.
Same here. I hate normies.
>>
>>90841178
No fucking wonder it was so fucking inaccurate.
>>90839965
You either didn't watch the episode or know nothing about D&D.
>>
File: 1465936844643.png (1MB, 557x493px) Image search: [Google]
1465936844643.png
1MB, 557x493px
>>90847336
This nigga gets it.
>>
>>90841787
Ever read a fantasy novel? When they tell about a long journey where nothing happens, they generally describe the passage of several hours or even days in the span of a few sentences, describing what the characters saw from the road, how they ate, and how they set up camp. I basically just do that.
>>
>>90842142
Can someone make this into the new /co/ banner or at least play monopoly with this sad motherfucker?
>>
>>90847357
They aren't.

The worst thing that came from this election is that people on both side of the aisle think their shitty edgy opinions should be taken as honest to god fact.
>>
File: 2011-05-20-gazebo1.jpg (835KB, 1123x1638px) Image search: [Google]
2011-05-20-gazebo1.jpg
835KB, 1123x1638px
>>90846293
They've always done that.

The neatest variation to bags of holding was in the comic "Knights of the Dinnertable" where some Bags had a small chance to connect to a dimension that connected other similar bags.
http://www.kenzerco.com/Operiodicals/kodt/jackson_document.pdf
>>
>>90843727
It was actually Pathfinder, but yeah you're right.

>>90846289
>>90846361
The sheer joy and creative outlet from being a DM means that every second and dollar spent isn't wasted.

>>90845810
Any good DM has a balance of rules and fantasy. You should be able to attempt anything you want because it's a game of imagination, but if there aren't rules and laws to the game, then it's arbitrary nonsense with no stakes and you might as well be sitting around making up ghost stories.
>>
File: 1486032099811.jpg (46KB, 839x469px) Image search: [Google]
1486032099811.jpg
46KB, 839x469px
>>90841577
>play monoply
>buy all the remaining houses
>friends complain that there are no houses
>"the goal is to bankrupt the other players"
>"it's not fair"
>they use bottle caps as houses
>we never finish a game
>>
>>90846917
>>90847422
The D&D episode of Community was totally accurate.
>>
>>90847911

I heard a lot of criticism about its accuracy dont remember what it was
>>
File: 1486801019502.png (458KB, 670x476px) Image search: [Google]
1486801019502.png
458KB, 670x476px
>>90846618
Then make the enemies use them too, anon.

1d4chan has a bunch of broken shit on it as well that would be fun to include

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Category:Gamebreaking
>>
File: 7nSLb.jpg (444KB, 920x2999px) Image search: [Google]
7nSLb.jpg
444KB, 920x2999px
>>
File: Pierce-Learns-ADD.jpg (85KB, 1200x798px) Image search: [Google]
Pierce-Learns-ADD.jpg
85KB, 1200x798px
>>90847911
Yes it was.
>>
>>90847961

DM rolled for all the players, and let a player get away with reading the module and metagaming.

The spirit of the game was very well represented, though.
>>
File: DnD is bad for your soulpt1.png (731KB, 468x2478px) Image search: [Google]
DnD is bad for your soulpt1.png
731KB, 468x2478px
Lets add a bit of /co/ with a splash of /pol/ to this thread.
I present Dark Dungeons.
>>
File: DnD is bad for your soulpt2.png (779KB, 468x2765px) Image search: [Google]
DnD is bad for your soulpt2.png
779KB, 468x2765px
>>90848139
>>
>>90848139
>That face in the sixth panel
Hahaha what the hell
Reminds me of the end of the Junji Ito telescope comic
>>
>>90842267
Fate
>>
File: 1487095535578.jpg (299KB, 889x420px) Image search: [Google]
1487095535578.jpg
299KB, 889x420px
>>90847125
I can't wait till the books become available here.
>>
>>90846368
>>
File: virt gets permab&.png (13KB, 613x179px) Image search: [Google]
virt gets permab&.png
13KB, 613x179px
>>90847270
>>
>>90848079
>and metagaming
Makes sense. Harmon doesn't believe metagaming to be a crime and used to make spencer go along with his shit.
>>
>>90843307
What else should it be called?
>>
>>90848580
Sack of Carrying
>>
>>90848580

Mystical Handbag?
>>
File: free shrugs.jpg (48KB, 449x642px) Image search: [Google]
free shrugs.jpg
48KB, 449x642px
>>90841605
Not really. I see Omin and Jim. But who is supposed to Viari and Binwin? The guy in the green looks like neither, and Dexter's character looks a little like both.
>>
>>90848580
YOUR MOM!
>>
>bag of holding

I mean you might as well try to pull some bullshit with it because god forbid you try to use it for actual storage and then the DM fucks you over with anti-magic. "Whoops, now it's just an ordinary bag and all your loot is in some other dimension where you'll never see it again."
>>
File: 1487115088669.png (121KB, 529x250px) Image search: [Google]
1487115088669.png
121KB, 529x250px
>>90848402
Someday soon, it'll be the first manga volumes that I'll buy in ages
>>
>>90848139
My group still uses
>YOU'RE DEAD. You don't exist anymore!
anytime a character isn't included in a scene or is actually dead
>>
I have played D&D, Shadowrun, Traveller, Paranoia and Savage Worlds.

I really want to play Mekton Zeta but no one else I know does even when I offer to GM.
>>
>>90842267
Whichever you have the most fun with.

Cyberpunk 2020.
>>
>>90848402
>>90848867
>tfw have the first three volumes raw
Just saw it on shelf and loved the look of it.
>>
>>90842267
What do you want to do?

Sci-fi? Fantasy? Contemporary? Historical? What kind of fantasy? Gritty, high, magical, trippy, sci-fi, want near future? Giant robots? Space Opera? Post Apocalyptic? What kind of tone do you want? Dangerous and egy? Political and slow burning? Fast action film? Wacky and funny? How many rules do you want? Full of crunch and heavily simulationist? Barely not-freeform?
>>
>>90848033
Oh shit, this is great. also nice dubs
>>
>>90837793
actually a stab at tolkien
>>
>>90846798
incorrect; 2nd edition player's handbook (both original and revised printings) give it a casting time of 3, which is added to the caster's initiative roll (so some spells take longer to cast). Some spells do take multiple rounds (or turns, hours, days, etc.) to cast, but those are much higher level spells
>>
>>90841577

>play monopoly
>with real money

fun for the whole family
>>
File: titan.gif (3MB, 500x438px) Image search: [Google]
titan.gif
3MB, 500x438px
>>90842142
Makes sense, considering the progenitor game (before it was spruced up and made into a less "preachy" kids game) was created by an ANTI-monopolist.

It was designed to show you how frustrating and bullshit it was when people could grow more and more powerful by concentrating land and money.

The rage-quitting is a feature under that lens
>>
>>90837430
1. Copyright and Trademarks
2. No one actually gives a shit about nerd culture unless there is some kind of benefit, and it this context, it's to get more viewership from nerds and people who pretend to be them
>>
>>90851020

Was a pretty neat episode, really. Discord is always gold.
>>
File: tumblr_nyrv5qY5U41r3rdh2o1_500.jpg (17KB, 500x370px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nyrv5qY5U41r3rdh2o1_500.jpg
17KB, 500x370px
i feel like i want to shove this entire thread into a locker
>>
>>90851020
You are not sorry
>>
>>90841577
>tfw people think you're making up rules

rolling doubles 3 times in a row means you go straight to jail

look it up motherfucker
>>
>>90851120
jokes on you, I'm a claustrophiliac
>>
>>90851186

let me take a guess, furry who likes vore?
>>
>>90841362
>Sorry Jake. You're character's race is White so you don't get the ability to say "nigga" or it's variants.
>But my character's class is Cop and I have the "corrupt" skill.
>Oh right, but remember, you still need to roll to see if anyone records it on a phone or something.
>>
>>90838059
Did they ever explain what happened to dexters friends? I don't remember seeing them in the movie either....
>>
>>90851221
It means he gets off when shoved in closets.
Although, he could be the other thing too.
>>
>>90851154
That's one rule my family always followed at least
>>
>>90846436
At this point a lot of the boards can tend to blend together...
>>
So what have the actual mistakes been? Because so far people keep on talking about how all the episodes are immaculate but are being pretty light on specifics.
>>
>>90851221
no, its just that being swaddled as a child left a very strong impression
never got a thing for vore. tentacles though...
>>
>>90851342
The GM would roll to see if someone records their actions.
>>
>>90842267

FATAL
>>
>>90846558
The one time I played was amazing, we were constantly switching bodies and trying to fix the toilet for our master in his ancient vampire mansion while one of the maids was trying to kill him.
>>
>>90837877
Charisma isn't a fantasy power.
It's a stat.
Like strength.
Do you think strength is a fantasy power?
I mean obviously lifting 2 tons would be fantasy but so would convincing an entire country that religion is a lie in order to steal all their gold.
>>
>>90840111
>>90841078
>>90841328
https://youtu.be/jA-Lt5hJmnU
>>
>>90848821
In 3.5/PF at least, anti-magic would just mean you can't access the pocket dimension part of the bag. It's still a bag, just like if you reached into someone else's bag without knowing the command word/trigger condition.

Also if the GM is penalizing you for buying one of the basic staples of the game, then he's a shit DM.
>>
File: 20000 Keks Under the Sea.png (533KB, 459x612px) Image search: [Google]
20000 Keks Under the Sea.png
533KB, 459x612px
>>90842780
>>
>>90851358
two of them re-appeared in a later episode joining Dexter on a convention
>>
>>90837430
Because the ones who make these cartoons are the Gatekeepers. They speak lies of their love, that Normies (hated and accursed) shall never darken their tables with their fit bodies, hygiene, and social graces. Pour one out for these souls, for they protect us all.
>>
>>90852355
Poor dudes never got names
>>
>>90852251
>>90848821
Can you imagine how retarded it would be if a wiz/sorc walked through a antimagic field and then became unable to use magic again?
Seriously, though antimagic is weaker than dispel magic and even dispel will only dispel the activation of the bag for 1d3 turns.
Magic items can only be physically destroyed not dispelled.
>>
File: shutterstock_73575268.jpg (469KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
shutterstock_73575268.jpg
469KB, 1000x667px
>>90839965
>D&D is for nerds lmao

That's the worst shit ever TBBT Baginzo tier
>>
>>90852036
NEEEEERD
>>
>>90841328
weren't the last two basically Paladin and Monk respectively, but they had to re-name them to avoid religious references?
>>
File: 1470578731659.png (15KB, 218x229px) Image search: [Google]
1470578731659.png
15KB, 218x229px
>>90841078
>First day in D&Dland
>Tiamat shows up
>>
>>90851020
It IS relevant
>>
>>90852036
>>90852594

I think it makes more sense if it was more like "Only a game designed by nerds would have Charisma as a power you could *quantify* " with a number value on it
You could try to measure strength by exactly how much you can lift, or dexterity by how accurately can aim a bow or whatever
How do you measure persuasiveness as a number

too much to fit as a joke though i guess
>>
File: 091[1].jpg (226KB, 633x1570px) Image search: [Google]
091[1].jpg
226KB, 633x1570px
>>
File: 1475436801541.png (417KB, 682x625px) Image search: [Google]
1475436801541.png
417KB, 682x625px
>>90841078
>They got sucked by railroad instead of board while playing

80's were a weird times of nerd bashing, I guess it would be unrealistic to have girls playing D&D back then
>>
>>90847464
>filthy ameritrash peasants
>>
File: Gay Master.png (804KB, 1068x604px) Image search: [Google]
Gay Master.png
804KB, 1068x604px
>>90853113
Probably to make it seem less like a half-hour commercial for the game itself. It'd be like if a show based off of Nintendo properties opened with some kid playing video ga--wait a minute...
>>
>>90841577
>show them where auctions are in the rules
>"well, I've never played with them, so let's just play normally anon"
>Free Parking jackpot, unlimited houses, 2x Go money, etc
>"THIS GAME SUCKS, IT'S TAKING FOREVER"
>>
>>90846436
>tfw no succubus gf
To be fair, it can be hard to tell them apart sometimes.
>>
>>90847889
I'm surprised Monopoly even still sells at this point considering the autistic hate for capitalism these days.
>>
>>90853100
Seriously, fuck these kinds of players. Even in a comedic game you need more than a 'lol random' character. We're playing a game, not some way of making wacky story to post on the Internet.

Either care about the game or fuck off.
>>
>>90852995
Do I have to pee in her mouth?
>>
File: Donnie Darko Bunny reaction.jpg (20KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
Donnie Darko Bunny reaction.jpg
20KB, 300x225px
>In this world, Roodpart is probably an ancient word from the lands of--
>Oh crap, it's Trapdoor spelled backwards
>>
>>90837430
>Gotham Academy
>Maps and Olive somehow play without a GM

Granted by showing it as just a way friends have fun its better than a lot of other depictions.
>>
>>90842267
>LOL le FATAL meme
It's actually Mouseguard though.
>>
File: 1485689563934.jpg (782KB, 1600x1169px) Image search: [Google]
1485689563934.jpg
782KB, 1600x1169px
>>90842267
roleplaying games are for hipsters. Tabletop strategy games are where it's really at.
>>
>>90853657
that's not the Emperor confronting Horus.
>>
>>90839965
>This one was actually accurate though?
it was probably the worst d&d parody i've ever seen
>written by someone who never played d&d
>makes fun of the game for reasons that aren't even real
>moral of the episode is "don't play d&d you fucking nerd"
>>
File: 1489684237317.jpg (48KB, 540x482px) Image search: [Google]
1489684237317.jpg
48KB, 540x482px
>>90839965
>14 other players

God abandoned that poor dm.
>>
>>90853657
If you want to rep tabletop strategy, 40k isnt the game to use. While theres a lot of good stuff, Its unbalanced, expensive even by /tg/ standards and full of the worst players imaginable.

And the Emperor was a turbo-autist who's responsible for the most damaging war in human history. Trying to make Trump look good by comparing them is stupid.
>>
>>90853657
Aye, Warmachine, Malifaux, and Bolt Action are all the pinnacle of taste.
>>
>>90853676
>moral of the episode is "don't play d&d you fucking nerd"

Was it?
>>
>>90853676
This episode was The Big Zimbabwe Theory the animated series
>>
>>90853100
Pan should have played VtM. He'd have had all the goth girls he could have hoped for, and his DM could at least pretend to tolerate his inevitable Fishmalkery.
>>
>>90837430
Because who cares
>>
>>90850706
Fuck off rich boy, this is NEET/wageslave country
>>
>>90846101
>The DM had an assistant DM who was in charge of all the numbers shit
So, a Ledgerman?
>>
File: 1424922664982.jpg (420KB, 891x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1424922664982.jpg
420KB, 891x1200px
>>90837430
>cartoon
And every television depiction as well.

I think a lot of nerd writers grew up with AD&D and 2e, writing episodes during the 3.PF era which is almost a completely different game.

>>90837877
>>90839965
It was pretty bad, though not nearly as offensive as Bender's Game.

BUT LET'S FIX THIS

/co/, you are in charge of writing "the D&D episode" for the show of your choice. How would you pull it off?
>>
>>90842552
I would give anything just to be in a session with those two, what the fuck Hirsch
>>
>>90846618
wouldn't it be one time use?
also, this thread is very off topic now.
>>
>>90854245

Like The Breakfast Club, but with nerds and D&D.
>>
>>90853712
so it is a pretty accurate depiction then
>>
>>90842267

D&D when houseruled and refluffed to your taste.

There's a reason it's number 1
>>
Because no one gives a shit about D&D?
>>
>>90852355
Oh fuck!
I never noticed they were the D&D guys.
>>
>>90854245
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2BIsZo_Xlc
>>
>>90841577
I didn't even know about the auction until I was fed up with not having anyone to play and downloaded a Monopoly rom
>>
>>90853196
whoa what is this
>>
>>90844349
So were they all always playing or it was it a large team up at the end?
>>
File: 1489893329482.png (234KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1489893329482.png
234KB, 720x540px
>>90854582
No. There's shit D&D simply isn't meant to do. You don't want to do a contemporary horror mystery story in D&D, or militaristic space warfare, or plenty of other things that aren't high fantasy. Just because you technically could write a book's worth of houserules to try to run something it's not designed for doesn't mean you should when there are systems much closer in design to what you want to run.
>>
>>90855201
We were able to play a pretty entertaining mobster campaign (magitech style setting) just with regular 5th edition D&D rules
>>
>>90854081
VtM?
>>
File: VtM.jpg (60KB, 349x475px) Image search: [Google]
VtM.jpg
60KB, 349x475px
>>90855670
Vampire: the Masquerade. It's a game where you play as vampires. Similar to the Videogame of the same name.
Thread posts: 240
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.