[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've never read a comic book in my life. What would you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 1429646039611.jpg (164KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1429646039611.jpg
164KB, 960x720px
I've never read a comic book in my life.

What would you recommend to someone like me if you wanted me to get hooked on comics?
>>
>>90824431
Depends what you want out of a comic, and your personal tastes.

Here are some of the basic recommended graphic novels, which are nearly universally praised:

-Watchmen
-Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
-Maus
-Kingdom Come
-The Authority (Volume 1)
-The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Volume 1)
- All-Star Superman
-The Best of Will Eisner's The Spirit
-A Contract with God (Will Eisner)
-Understanding Comics The Invisible Art
-Fables
-A Cartoon History of the Universe
-Spider-Man Kraven's Last Hunt
-Infinity Gauntlet
-Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 1
-The Ultimates 1 & 2
-Tintin & The Secret of the Unicorn + Red Rackham's Treasure
-Hulk: Future Imperfect
-The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck
-Arkham Asylum
-Batman: Year One
-Batman: The Long Halloween
-Essential Fantastic Four Vol. 3
-Batman: Hush
-Green Lantern: Rebirth

And if you like manga:
Akira (Vol. 1-6)
The Phoenix Vol. 2
The complete 'Buddha' series

Any of these are nice stand alone stories that you don't need a lot of knowledge to know about, and tell a fulfilling story, that will also give you a good idea of what comics can do.
>>
>>90824761
>>-Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Read Batman Year One before going onto this.

also would highly recommend Y The Last Man 355 is best /co/ waifu
>>
>>90824870
Honestly, you can read the stuff on the list in any order.
It's why most great Marvel titles were not mentioned, Marvel benefits a lot more from ongoing stories than DC does.
>>
>>90824928
Eh, DKR references Year One here and there, not vital to read YO first but I enjoyed DKR more after doing that.
>>
File: 1400521600540.gif (4KB, 250x242px) Image search: [Google]
1400521600540.gif
4KB, 250x242px
>>90824761
Woah, thanks for writing me that list. I'll save it and will work my way through.
>>
>>90824431
>I'm too lazy to just look up something to read, so gimmie.
Fuck you. We live in the Information Age, where nigh-ubiquitous technology exists to find damn near anything online.

And then there's idiots like you who can't be bothered to type in some simple phrases into your search bar. Instead, you insist on demanding that other people drop what they're doing and hold your hand as though they were obligated to you.

You're disgusting. Fuck off and google some damn comics.
>>
>>90824431
as for recs some of my favorites are...

-flex metallo
-nextwave
-fawcett era captain marvel
-ROM: spaceknight
-DnA's cosmic marvel
-lobster johnson

...but like >>90824761 said it really depends on what you want out of a comic

>>90825110
>>>/a/ is probably more your speed buddy
>>
>>90824431
What kind of stories do you like OP? That's what you need to ask yourself. What speaks to you?
Violence?
Tension?
Mystery?
Realism?
Character interactions?
Style?
Mind-blowing art?
What have been your favorite books, movies and tv shows? Narrow it down and be specific.
>>
>>90824431
>>90825097
Usagi Yojimbo
Judge Dredd
Y The Last Man
Sandman
Hellblazer
Incal
Asterix (issues written by Goscinny)
Thorgal
Saga
The Walking Dead
Bone
Cerebus
>>
>>90824431

something that's not too complicated cause someone who asks such retarded questions can't be too bright
>>
>>90824761
>Here are some of the basic recommended graphic novels
>only lists a couple actual Graphic Novels
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>90824761
> will also give you a good idea of what comics can do.
>90% capeshit

lel
>>
>>90827432
>what comics can do
>90% capeshit
Sounds about right desu senpai.
>>
>>90824431
The only book I think is absolutely essential is Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud. It shouldn't be the first you read and dont take it as gospel, but it really helped me appreciate the medium. Outside of that i'd strongly recommend:

>Hellboy
>Tintin
>Anything by Moebius
>>
File: tumblr_nh78ux3vjf1rkdiiko5_1280.png (1MB, 1164x596px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nh78ux3vjf1rkdiiko5_1280.png
1MB, 1164x596px
I will never stop shilling mouse guard
>>
>>90827432
>90%
I think you failed math.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.