[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>This is John K's art from the 80's >He thinks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: johnk.jpg (69KB, 850x600px) Image search: [Google]
johnk.jpg
69KB, 850x600px
>This is John K's art from the 80's
>He thinks it's embarrassing and bad

At least when he drew chicken scratch shit an criticized other cartoons, you could chalk him up to being a hack. But this is a whole other level of sad.
>>
>>90750471
It is sad art. It's flat as fuck and you can't truly expressively animate in such a style. John K is right for once.
>>
>>90750471
I think it's interesting, visually.
>>
File: frosted_flakes.jpg (25KB, 300x371px) Image search: [Google]
frosted_flakes.jpg
25KB, 300x371px
>>90750509
Except not all animation needs the same level of expressiveness. Animation is suppose to be animated art, and the type of illustrative look you want depends on the project. Some characters will only look good from a single angle and if you're doing that type of limited design, you can make it work. You could very easily imagine this version of Tony animated in a cardboard cut-out stop motion type of way and it wouldn't be wrong.

John K preaches that there is a right and wrong to animation while simultaneously being highly experimental himself and breaking all the main principles of animation. It's baffling why he considers himself above the rules but criticizes others when they do it, too.

He also thinks Beavis and Butthead is great but says Samurai Jack is flat with fake construction.
>>
>>90750471
>>90750696
Reminds me a bit of Mazuchelli's Asterios Polyp
>>
>>90750471
>glitz and glamour, Hollywood type shit
fag
>>
>>90750471
This cat could draw some killer cartoons for Playboy.
>>
File: HomerBody.jpg (251KB, 1600x1236px) Image search: [Google]
HomerBody.jpg
251KB, 1600x1236px
>>90750509
What makes you think this is a better style to animate in?
>>
>>90750509
You're likening two completely different parts of the artform there.
"Expressive animation" has nothing to do with graphic style, volumes, flats or otherwise. Animation with good timing is key to expressiveness because animation IS timing. Look at amateur Youtube animators for example. And I'm not talking about the "flat" flash animators, I mean the half that go the other way, by emphasising volumetric drawing and fluidity so much that it ruins the timing of the animation and loses all impact.
>>
>>90750471
i like it.
>>
Kricfalusi's work wasn't half bad in the 80s.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vswuDpHWkWY
>>
>>90752688
John K is one of those guys who you could either direct and get strong results (Like when he was starting out in the industry and provided some of his best art) or who could direct and get the best out of a person (Spumco). However when he tries to draw AND direct, that's when he becomes overwhelmed and produces shit.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.