[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

2000AD storytime: Devlin Waugh

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 80

OK /co/ you might think you've read about vampires. You might even think you've read about gay vampires. But you've probably never read something quite like this before.

Who is Devlin Waugh? Described as a cross between Noël Coward and Arnold Schwarzenegger, he's an effete occultist rippling with a muscles, a Vatican investigator from the world of Judge Dredd. And, to my knowledge, still the only character to beat out Dredd in a 2000AD popularity poll.

Let's read Swimming in Blood.
>>
(Let's not forget his name is a bad pun)
>>
>>
Conversation in the thread is very welcome. Whole point of a storytime, right?
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
Devlin steals the show as soon as he shows up.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>90661633
The man knows how to make an entrance.
>>
>>
>>90661732
True that.
>>
>>90661383
So Bahama still exist in Dredd world. interesting
>>
WHOOPS
>>
>>90661911
A lot of places are still around, just radically changed. It's the urbanisation and environment more than the actual landmasses that have changed.

http://i40.tinypic.com/54absk.jpg
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>90662005
>getaloadofthisguycam.nav
>>
>>90662176
ay, good shit dude. Will you do Red Tides after?
>>
>>
Devlin is one of those characters who you'd really like to cross over with a whole bunch of stuff.
>>
>>90662386
Maybe not today, but tomorrow? I plan on a couple of other things over the coming week too.
>>
>>
>>
>>90662465
awesome dude
>>
>>90661240
Devil in wow-g?
>>
>>
>>90662309
I love him so much.
>>
>>90662558
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evelyn_Waugh
>>
>>
>>90662387
It's not fair, we're supposed to be the monsters!
>>
>>90662438
The Occult Investigator is always a fun character. I wonder if Judge Anderson already existing and dealing with the same subject and in the Dredd universe has to do with Waugh not lasting as long
>>
>>90662630
Edge of my seat
>>
>>90662568
There's a page in this that is still one of my favourite comic book pages ever. Anyone who doesn't know it will when they see it.
>>
>>
>>90661149
I own an original page from that. :D
>>
Was this in 2000AD or Judge Dredd Magazine?

Related question, when did 2000DAD go full color?
>>
>>90662680
Devlin is at least a pretty considered character (parts of his life are clearly based directly on >>90662602) which we get into more in later, more biographical stories.

I don't think it's a toe-stepping thing so much as several of the subsequent Devlin Waugh stories were either a) a complete clusterfuck and/or b) just not very good.

It would be fun to see them meet in a longer story, for sure. Or like, Devlin Waugh meets Hellboy? Instant buy.
>>
>>90662773
1. this story was in the megs
2. no idea
>>
>>90662707
It's the bitch slap isn't it?
>>
>>
>>90662773
The Meg. OPs first image is the cover of the issue it appeared in anon.
2000AD went full colour in the 1990s, but still prints B+W strips from time to time.
>>
>>90662742
That's awesome, can I ask which one?

>>90662773
This was the Megazine. I think the first full colour 2000AD prog was sometime in the 90s.
>>
>>90662773
>when did 2000DAD go full color?
Late 80's early 90's. That's when you start seeing a lot of these gorgeous painted comics like Simon Bisley's Slaine: The Horned God

Also I'm pretty sure 2000AD never had hired colorists, it's always been on the artist
>>
>>90662837
Well, that whole scene really. I was thinking of the page before.
>>
>>90662846
Drama king much?

[Spoiler/]i love it [/spoiler]
>>
>>90662813
>just not very good.
Yeah I own the DC/2000AD trade of this, beside this the only other story I liked was Devlin being held in customs by Dredd
>>
>>
>>
>>90662912
God damn it i suck
>>
>>
>>90662937
IMO the direct sequel to this is at least readable, and some of the later stories have good character moments but yeah, a lot of dross there too.
>>
"Innocence & Experience" was actually pretty good and got closest to the high points of the character if I remember right and then just... nothing came of it.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
Here we go.
>>
>>
Goddamn
>>
God
>>
>>90663553
Damn devlin. This is the shit that got you banned from the olympics.
>>
DAMN
>>
>>
>>
>>90663584
yeah, this is the page
>>
>>
>>
>>90661383
>Aquatraz
kek
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>90661343
I had no idea this character was from 2000 AD.
>>
>>90664096
I gotta admit, I'm confused as to how you could know the character and not know that.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>90664258
This art is so beatifull.
>>
>>
>>90664277
Sadly I don't think Sean Phillips ever does a long-format Devlin story again after this one.

That's the end and all for tonight anyway. Tomorrow I'll do the direct sequel story Red Tide, where things predictably go wrong at the vampire-hunting aquatic theme park, Fangland.

We might also cap that off with a short Judge Dredd story set during the SEX OLYMPICS too.

Thanks for reading!
>>
>>90664289
>To breed
How's that even gonna work?
They mentioned blood getting stuck in the extremeties and the stomach region.
>>
>>90664132
Saw a handful of pages and some fan-art. It was popular on some forums a few years ago, for a reason. I always assumed it was from a space-opera one-shoot because of the looks.
>>
>>90662892
2000ad does have a couple of regular colourists they'll call on. Usually if an artist is less experienced or in a time crunch. Most artists prefer to add their own colour and preserve the integrity of the piece (and pocket two checks)
>>
File: 2000AD - Devlin Waugh Faith.jpg (1MB, 1696x2318px) Image search: [Google]
2000AD - Devlin Waugh Faith.jpg
1MB, 1696x2318px
>>90664376
Thanks a ton for the storytime, OP!
>>
>>90662813
Would need a guest artist. Art is shit in that and BRPD
>>
>>90665566
One of the things I've been thinking about storytiming here is Caballistics, Inc which is sort of like "what if BRPD was British and the villain was David Bowie"

It's clearly derivative of BRPD and Hellboy but it has some good bits.
>>
>>90661149
This is one of my favorite Dredd-era characters.
They have made really poor use of him. suck potential for shenanigans!

Thank you anon!
>>
>>90663844
To follow up (catching up), the droll incidental humor is one of the things I love about 2000 AD.
>>
>>90664132
It seems a very 2000AD character, and I'm liking it. Having a hard time seeing how it could stack up against the better Dredd stuff though.
>>
>>90664132
My favorite line in that last panel.
>>
>>90666315
It's a different sort of character. You're not going to get the exact same content, doesn't necessarily mean you'll get worse content. At the same time you're right and this strip never got to the heights it might have.
>>
>>90666667
My favorite dredd stuff is like, Wally squad, the simping detective, or the liberty/equality/fraternity set though, so ymmv.
>>
>>90662813
I can definitely see how a character like this could easily go downhill in the hands of other writers who don't understand nuance.
>>
>>90669868
The big serious Devlin Waugh strip that could've launched something huge is Chasing Herod > Reign of Frogs > Sirius Rising and a substantial part of it is just a cast of colourful occultists wanking each other off (and not in a good way). You can build that kind of thing to a fever pitch but if you don't deliver on it or ultimately break anything, or even if you just cock up the pacing, eventually the effect wears off.

It's spotty. There's parts of camp humour stitched up with occultism and gore and body horror just like in this, but the whole story is bigger and doesn't hang together as well. The gang of the world's top black magicians have to get Devlin's mum to nag him into helping, but it's never very clear why they need him. There's a Lovecraft-y moment where Devlin is scared out of his wits by a giant frog alien, but that's forgotten at the next encounter. The obsessive reporter who is the PoV for the first issue blows his brains out at the end of it. Most of the side characters are or become nothing more than their particular strain of occult babble. The big bad doomsday weapon gets a horrific rep but never delivers on panel. And you very quickly lose all unknowing bystanders - everyone in the comic is as steeped in black magic as Devlin is - which I think works against the story.

The artist on all that is Steve Yeowell which, okay, it's not this beautiful painterly Charles Atlases tearing the shit out of each other but still a good artist who's great at being impressive and expressive with simple forms. The story just isn't as good as it could be and it ties so much of Devlin's side of the world, Devlin's setting as distinct from Dredd's, to itself that you kind of muck up anything else you could do too. They still made good effort but the stuff that ran in the Megazine afterwards was mostly just another Megazine strip.
>>
>>90669868
>>90670421
Oh, and the writer is the same guy of course. That was basically my point, don't know how I forgot it.
>>
>>90661149
Heh, I mentioned this in a thread where Sean Phillips' name came up--"Biggest hacks in comics", or something? Still have those Megazines in my attic...I'll give it a re-read now, see if it still holds up (I didn't like the character all that much at the time). But thanks, OP.
>>
>>90661343
Post Horned God painted art is almost always a bad sign in British comics of this time, well into the 2000's...thank fuck most have outgrown it or just gotten better.
>>
>>90665808
I like him a lot. Um...is he insane, though, or does he take serious shit too lightly and take inconsequential shit too seriously?
>>
>>90672447
Your ... make your posting really identifiable.
Thread posts: 122
Thread images: 80

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.