[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can't something be done, legally, to prevent degenerate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: loboparody.jpg (454KB, 992x1304px) Image search: [Google]
loboparody.jpg
454KB, 992x1304px
Can't something be done, legally, to prevent degenerate "parodies" like this?
>>
File: Alan Grant 03.jpg (381KB, 1280x960px)
Alan Grant 03.jpg
381KB, 1280x960px
>>90659391
Oh man, the story behind this is all kind of crazy, See, that's not a parody. That's "Bob The Galactic Bum", a DC miniseries written by John Wagner and Alan Grant and drawn by Carlos Ezquerra. The mini was about a galactic hobo and his friend who get into a bunch of hijinks, and Lobo, Vril Dox and Stealth guest-star along with a bunch of Khunds and such.
Here's where it gets tricky: thanks to their contract, Bob and the story itself belongs to Wagner and Grant, but all the DC characters belong to DC. And when the Judge Dredd Megazine was having serious budget issues in the 90s they were looking for anything creator-owned they could reprint (they famously reprinted Preacher for a couple of years), and ran into this mini. And because they couldn't use the DC characters, they got Ezquerra to redraw all of their panels and the script was similarly edited to change all names.
Also, you may remember Alan Grant as the guy who co-wrote the first two Lobo minis and wrote nearly every issue of his 90s monthly and further miniseries/one-shots.
>>
Did you ever hear of the Ex-Mutants and New Humans? It was indie b&w titles from Ron Lim, (artist). I think that was how he made his industry debut. I liked the concept...a post-apocalyptic world where people have become deformed mutants...in one title i think the humans were mutants restored to their normal humanity and the other might have been people revived from cryogenic hibernation and were unaffected by the nuclear Armageddon. In a way it was the Walking Dead before Rick Grimes was ever invented. Well, Marvel raised hell and the two series went away. marvel are real dickheads. They act like they own letters of the alphabet. At least DC had a stronger case regarding Shazam back in the day. Parodies and homages can be done well or at least offer interesting takes on industry prototypes the Big 2 would never touch.
>>
>>90659758
>>90659391
Holy fuck, that's complicated. If I were on a jury, I'd just let the shit go. Continue play. No foul.
>>
>>90659758
That's some top tier troll-fu. But don't reply seriously to shitpost threads.
>>
>>90659391
No, lel
>>
>>90659391
Asbo could be a potentially fun character, as long as she is not written by sjw's.
>>
>>90659391
holy shit, ezquerra comics i didnt know about. Thanks OP!
>>
>>90659758
Alan Grant's 80-90's DC work is all top notch

Detective Comics
Batman
Shadows of the Bat
L.E.G.I.O.N.
Lobo
The Demon
Batman/Dredd
Anarky
>>
>>90659962
Ex-Humans was a Mailbu book, but yeah they also did the same thing with Gen13 when it was originally named GenX.

Marvel hassled Image to change the name even tho their own Generation X book was due for another year.
>>
>>90659962
>At least DC had a stronger case regarding Shazam

There were a number of Superman rip offs that DC shit down, one was actually by Will Eisner.
>>
File: pol and sjws.jpg (131KB, 600x800px)
pol and sjws.jpg
131KB, 600x800px
>>90659391

>calling for censorship of comics you don't like
>>
>>90659758
>(they famously reprinted Preacher for a couple of years

In the UK? I know 2000AD's readership always skewed older even in the early days but are you seriously telling me they were able to publish Preacher of all fucking things and sell it in your local newsagents on the same shelf as Marvel and DC reprints and the Beano? F-bombs intact? That's fucking amazing.
>>
>>90663216
Oh yes. There was actually a pretty big hubbub about it on the letters section of the Megazine, with lots of readers complaining that extreme cussing and vulgarity wasn't really a part of 2000AD and bla bla bla. Mind you, this was the late, late 90s, when they were running covers like pic relate and most people gave even less of a shit about 2000AD than they do now, so outside of alienating a bunch of fans it didn't do much else.

>>90662586
He really was kicking ass on a monumental scale. I actually like his Lobo more than Keith Giffen's.
>>
>>90663536
>more than Keith Giffen's

I don't even know what Lobo work Giffen did without Grant aside from the early stuff in Omega Men.

They cowrote both the first minis and Giffen did the art in another mini where Lobo fights all his bastard children
>>
>>90663683
Lobo: Unbound. AKA "Six issues to give Lobo a circumcision."
>>
>>90663745
Ah right, that's one of them I never bothered to look at, like the one written by Scott Ian from Anthrax
>>
>>90663216
American comics are always weirdly censorious of everything other than violence IMO. The 2000AD/JDM I read at 12 or 13 had cussing and shit like naked viking women putting robot bugs in each other's asses.
>>
>>90663797
Yeah when Brandon Graham and Simon Roy signed on to do Prophet Liefled's two big rules were no cussing and no nudity, because those were always the Extreme rules

Oh course their first issue had a horrible alien vagina in it
>>
>>90659391
Have you tried not being a faggot and simply ignoring the works you don't like?
>>
>>90659758
I've been reading a lot of old progs and megs lately and is just me or did the Megazine have a serious downturn in the mid-late 00s? Like they had a tank girl for a while, but most of the other stuff felt like filler.
>>
>>90665656
I think I know what you mean, yeah. I figure it's a matter of the new crop of writers still trying to find their groove and tell different kinds of stories, with very mixed results. I do like things like Tempest and Samizdat Squad, but you can tell the writers were super rough around the edges even in those.
That said, I think it was around that time that they started bagging the meg with those mini tpbs, which were and still are a genius fucking idea.
>>
>>90665885
I think you can see where like Trifecta (and ultimately, New/USA Avengers) comes from in Tempest, but it's shaky because it has to be a Dredd universe story but is not quite a fit for a Dredd universe story. Like you say, rough around the edges.

I don't mind Samizdat Squad, there's a definite sense of Dredd fatigue in these ones right now and at least getting to other regions of the world is a bit of a break from that. It also feels like they ran a hell of a lot of Armitage.

Anyway, just curious if it was an opinion at the time because I wasn't reading it back then.
>>
>>90659391
looking at the thumbnail, I though it was Lobo and Death of the Endless
>>
File: Lobo Loves Death.jpg (128KB, 513x800px)
Lobo Loves Death.jpg
128KB, 513x800px
>>90666781
It wouldn't be the first time.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.