[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think of the race issue regarding Iron Fist and Doctor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 289
Thread images: 32

File: Marvel's_Iron_Fist_logo.png (69KB, 300x154px) Image search: [Google]
Marvel's_Iron_Fist_logo.png
69KB, 300x154px
What do you think of the race issue regarding Iron Fist and Doctor Strange, where do you stand?
>>
>>90626735
>Doctor Strange
?
>>
>>90626854
He thinks they are in the same universe.
>>
Had a point in Dr strange, since Marvel avoided showing a tibetian character to appease the chinese (same reason they are actively working to make cap and bucky feel more straight, wouldn't wanna lose all those shekels) but are absolute nonsense in Iron fist, a lot of people from different nationalities are excepcionally good martial arts masters
>>
>>90626854
The Ancient One was an Asian man in the comics
>>
>>90626735
I would've been cool with someone non-white being Danny but I'm also fine with Finn Jones.
Re: Doctor Strange; are you talking about Strange himself or the Ancient One?
For Strange, it's the same as Danny. I would've been fine with someone non-white, but Cumberbatch was aight.
Ancient One was fucking dumb. No good reason for it.
>>
>>90626917
>Re: Doctor Strange; are you talking about Strange himself or the Ancient One?
Ancient One
>>
>Iron Fist
Character kept the same race. That's fine.

>Doctor Strange
Character changed race, gender. Still don't really care because old wise Asian man is done often enough. I also understand that the change was partially to keep the film from being banned in China. I'm Asian myself, and it doesn't bother me.
>>
>>90626735
I'm Asian, and I remember arguing with a white guy on how there are more hot-button issues regarding Asian culture like South Korea being run by a cult and the Filipino President being crazy, and focusing instead on superhero movies would not only impede social progress, but will make the very idea of progressives look like an utter joke if they care more about whether or not an actor's white than actual international crises affecting people's lives.

He just ignored that and gave me the same bullshit about how Asians are being hurt by whitewashing even though he was talking to one.
>>
>>90626866
>Actively making Cap and Bucky full more straight
I mean why don't they just block those websites? The gay subtext is purely because thirsty fujoshis not actual content.
>>
I'd say I'm glad they didn't change Daniel Rand's race, but that would be like saying I'm glad the sun came up today.
>>
File: 1489277581446.jpg (219KB, 739x760px) Image search: [Google]
1489277581446.jpg
219KB, 739x760px
Why didn't they just make danny asian?

I mean, it wouldn't have been pandering, right?
>>
>>90626735
This is Op
For Doctor Strange:The Ancient One
For Iron Fist: The idea of an Asian Iron Fist, and the accusations of cultural appropriation
And just the general accusations of racism between the two
>>
>>90627013
Why make Danny asian? You don't need to be asian to study and master martial arts.
>>
I am actually legitimately hyped to see Iron Fist now.

It's hard to imagine fucking Marvel being the victim and the good guy in this day and age.

But all bad reviews that diss Iron Fist have these little gems:
>Even before the show’s production, fans had already expressed frustration over the show’s possible portrayal of Asian culture, especially after casting Jones, a white actor, instead of an Asian-American.
Yeah, fans who fucking always knew Danny is Caucasian.

Rest is Colleen circle jerk.
>>
>>90626972
I'm sorry.

I don't know what's fucking wrong with us lately.
>>
>>90626980
The writers intentionally make things vague so fujoshis can play pretend
>>
>tfw it's your favorite /co/ character ever, so any argument is chalked up to "yea but, you're biased"

Fools, it's the best stranger in a strange land tale.not accepted by k'un-lun cuz he's white. Not accepted in NY cuz he's got traditional K'un-lun values n behavior.

I hate this world.
>>
>>90626735
Its absolutely fine for a character from one culture to be empowered by the skills and abilities of another so long as their is reason for it to happen beyond plot contrivance (just happened to be there and was better at it than people from that culture).

Like, completely fine. You just have to acknowledge the culture and make it part of the story, and not have the super special westerner be the best at it.

In the case of Danny/Iron Fist it shouldnt even be there because he SHOULD BE for all intents a purposes a Kun Lun citizen culturally after spending his entire teenage and adult life there. Like English should be his second language and he should be getting FIERCE culture shock by the time he gets back to New York as a Dragon Heartpuncher. Which should totally be the name of his legacy character if he gets one.

But Marvel does not do this because the character CANT be like that because as it was origionally it was meant to fit into a very strict archetype of "relateable western everyman gets magic foreigner powers and is better at it than those who created it " (which can be seen a lot in early comics and is at least pretty racist, though obviously the character has developed since then) and if they did it now both fans and people who call themselves SJWs to feel like they can have something righteous to be angry about without any thinking would freak out over it.

So if they put a little critical analysis into the damn thing, like have someone talk about how wierd it is that K'un L'un, in the Kun Lun mountains, gets its amulets of power from the K'un L'un dimension, it would be like having a hidden society in the Rocky Mountains who get their powers from Magic Medalions from the R'ocky M'ountain dimension. Or even just WHY Danny is better at Kung Fu despite not being trained from birth, or more suitable a candidate for dragon heart punching than those who grew up in K'un L'un culture.
>>
>>90626972
>South Korea being run by a cult

...What?
>>
>>90626972

the amount of this sjw bullshit that's perpetuated by self-righteous white people is annoying, fuck us for sure
>>
>>90627291
Like I'm pretty sure none of the people who are mad at the Ancient One not being Tibetan have done a single thing to support Tibet or its people's rights. They're gonna tell me they want to aid cultural diversity when their entire outlook on life begins and ends with Marvel Studios? Jesus, any down-on-their-luck Asian is gonna have a lot more troubles and things on their mind than Doctor fucking Strange.
>>
File: wtyat.jpg (231KB, 1920x585px) Image search: [Google]
wtyat.jpg
231KB, 1920x585px
>>90627135

You are being intentionally obtuse or really don't understand the mightey whitey masters Asian cultures by virtue of being white troupes
>>
>>90627453

In the case of Doctor Strange it is much more political as well as racial, since you have the "relateble westerner gets magic forign powers and is better at it than those who created it" archetype but also the whole tibet/china nonsense.

So Kamar-Taj is a rainbow coalition that just so happens to be in a place where they can wear the trappings of "magic foreigner" culture. Like they are led by this celtic lady, and as far as the movie shows their two strongest initiates are "Vaguely African" and Chinese. They could be based anywhere they even HAVE more basis around the world. The Ancient One is celtic so they may as well be in fucking Wales for all that being in Nepal lends to the story. Which is nothing and thats the problem, Nepalese culture is used as a cloak to Kamar Taj look more magical alien mystical to western audiences. If the Ancient One had been Nepali and we got like one scene with Strange being wierded out by and learning to live in Nepal and didnt end the movie as the best sorcerer in the world, it would have been fine.

Or he could have been trained around the New York fortress, or one in Wales/Spain/Ireland/Scotland/Portugal literally anywhere Celtic and kept your ancient celtic cult leader. Like if she started Kamar Taj as we have to assume as we dont have anything of its history, why did she create it in Nepal? We dont even get any "Mafi-Babble" about it being a particularly strong convergence of energy, or neccesery in the world shielding dimension proofing grid or whatever. Its just there "because it looks cool" and close enough to tibet that they dont have to change much.

>>90627013
The only problem people have is that very often he is made to be "the immortal weapon" despite not appearing to have any inclination towards martial arts before the crash and having no basic training in kung fu. Yet he rises above those who have been training there all their lives because he is the main character and has to be the best.
>>
>>90627567
Are you so naive as to believe that Danny couldn't have worked harder during his time in K'un-lun? Applied himself more? Or maybe just had a gift that was untapped until he got there?

Not saying your point doesn't have merit, but to just assume he could never be great because other children had a jump.. Not realistic /co/mrade
>>
>>90627567
>despite not appearing to have any inclination towards martial arts
hasn't that always been a trope, in comics, (asian) films and even in manga/anime?
there are literally thousands of this type of stories

I'm not even much of a MCU/Danny Rand fan, but this whole controversy is fucking ridiculous
>>
>>90627567
>>90627993
Anime is notorious for having very young, very skinny teenagers being martial masters over experienced and older soldiers.
>>
>>90627567
He was ten years old when he arrived in K'un-Lun.
>>
File: 1456993558708.jpg (164KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1456993558708.jpg
164KB, 1280x720px
>>90626735
Be faithful to the source material
Respect it, this isn't to much too ask

Danny should be a hot sexy blond hunk

Valkyrie should be a white blonde bombshell

Domino, Heimdall....etc should be white

Ancient one should be an old Asian guy
>>
>Made Johnny Storm black
>WHY CAN'T HE BE BLACK?! HE'S JUST ADOPTED! PROGRESS!

>Made a series where a white character is empowered with martial arts.
>A BLOO BLOO BLOO

It's retarded and only getting more retarded as companies attempt to appease these retards who probably watch Netflix, but don't buy comics, don't always buy merchandise, and will still call for boycotts over any perceived injustice.
>>
>>90628238
>>90628429
>Iron Fist can't be white
>But it's okay for the Ancient One to be a woman
>>
>>90627504
Keanue Reeves is Half Asian

Matt Damon and Tom Cruise weren't "white saviors" or particularly any more skilled than the other Asian Characters in there respective films.

Not sure about that Anna and the King film but Marco Polo is based on real world history no?
>>
Why make Danny Asian. Should we go to Eastern countries and tell them not to hire Asian actors and instead hire black people to be more diverse. Should we go to India and tell Bollywood to hire white people because they have too many Indians as the main character.

I'll never understand why so many white people have white guilt.
>>
>>90628470
They hated Dr. Strange for the Ancient One too, ya know.
>>
>>90627464
Dude, where the fuck have you been?
>>
>>90628667
>I'll never understand why so many white people have white guilt.
White guilt is chic right now
>>
>>90627422
Dubs of truth.

So many people don't get this because the people bitching can only make the tenuous connection of martial arts master = must be Asian, which is in and of itself racist as fuck. Not that they're self aware to realise that, obviously.

If the people complaining actually knew anything about Iron Fist, as a character concept, they'd know why he woudln't work if he looked just like everyone else in K'un-Lun.

Keeping Danny white just makes sense. Shit, make him black, or Mexican, or anything else other than Asian and it still works. Making him Asian because "hurr durr only Asians can master martial arts" defeats the fucking point of Danny being a fish out of water on both sides.
>>
>>90628525
>Not sure about that Anna and the King film but Marco Polo is based on real world history no?

No, Anna was just a school teacher and didn't advise the king on any policy whatsoever. Marco Polo is most lies and fabrications that became popular due to it being published at a time when most of the world was unknown (he claims to have found villages where people and dog heads and bird bodies)
>>
>>90626735
I think without using powers, Iron Fist is faster, with powers it'd be Doctor Strange.
>>
File: 1470104176162.jpg (256KB, 600x907px) Image search: [Google]
1470104176162.jpg
256KB, 600x907px
>>90627422

yet that characterization is objective false of Danny, a good example of a white person who is a fish out of water in their native land would be the movie Jungle2Jungle (white kid raised in the Amazon still acts like a jungle man in NY). Danny is just a memelord whiteguy whose first act on coming home is to engage in complicated legal and corporate matters, things a person who has been raised in a Shaolin temple would not be familiar with or feel any part of (he gets 100 million in the first episode)
>>
>>90629136
That's what I'm hoping this series gets right. Outside the combat and relation to H4H or Defenders, I hope they dive into Danny finding his way in two worlds that, outside of a choice few, hate him just because he is.
>>
>>90629412
Underrated
>>
>>90626866
>Had a point in Dr strange, since Marvel avoided showing a tibetian character to appease the chinese

Aiding cultural genocide is not a good reason.
>>
File: arrow-scarred.jpg (1016KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
arrow-scarred.jpg
1016KB, 1920x1080px
>>90629543

But it didn't which is why the reviews are shit. Even Daredevil for all its own anti Asian race issues is given a pass because Daredevil delivers on its core concept. With Iron Fist, there is very little fight scenes and the ones that are there are badly choreographed with most of the show being legal drama as opposed to a martial arts show. Hell the guy didn't even bother working out for the role which is a big sign of trouble if Steve Amell is a harder working actor than someone who has a AAA title on netflix.
>>
>>90629479
And he hires lawyers to fight that battle for him,realizing full well he DOESNT understand this. But knows that his family rightfully owns these resources.

No yea. He's just a rich white guy.with no money. And who was raised with old oriental values. But still remembers his family and sees his name on a building. What a stretch to think he would use Hogarth to aquire what's his..
>>
>>90629700
Respect the dubs, but I'll wait to see it myself. I don't doubt you tho, as this particular character seems hard to tackle in this universe. Its hard to go to far one way or the other with rand without getting into meme territory
>>
>>90629706

Because hiring a high powered attorney is what rich people do when they deal with issues involving large sums of money. A realistic fish out of water would be Danny not understanding how stop signs work or how to get basic things like a drivers license or other basic things that normal people need to survive in the world.

I'm not saying that the show is racist because Danny is white. I am saying that the way his character is (badly) handled is what makes in racist
>>
Why is it the white man burden to appease the Asian ones?

They are more than us, if it hurts their butt so much, have them make their own movie where an Asian dude does white shit like eating cheese or whatever and sell that to their friends.

It's not like they don't have cameras.
>>
>>90629479
This is hilarious, its amazingly funny on a level that I don't want to believe someone wrote this seriously but know they did.
>>
This reminds me of that live-action Attack on Titan movie where everyone was asian, even though the creator clearly stated that all the characters except for one is European
>>
>>90630130

And that movie is considered to be very bad so your point is?
>>
>>90629479
I find that pic dumb.

I read this manga called Eyeshield 21. It's about a Japanese high school kids who is better at football than anyone. Including Americans. That doesnt upset me. If they make a movie I'd hope they'd cast an Asian kid.
>>
>>90629905
So by the age of 10, you hadn't figured out what stop signs were? Or what lawyers were for?

You may be right, and his characters transition may be handled poorly. But these are shit tier examples to prove your point man. It seems like you jus want to hate the show more than anything with things like that.
>>
>>90630255

Yet they aren't "masters of American culture" (something Americans understand very little of) nor are they saviors of the American people who just so happened to need saving from someone with Japanese perspective and American skills
>>
>>90629905
>>90630270

Wait.. You do know Danny lived in America and crashed when he was 10 right? I'm not trying to be an ass, but it would explain some key character points you seem to be missing
>>
>>90626854
Mordo shouldn't have been black.
>>
File: the state of this place.jpg (141KB, 479x610px) Image search: [Google]
the state of this place.jpg
141KB, 479x610px
>>90629976

It's the dumb radical SJWs that mostly care.

Asians have like a million things where they look badass. They have the Yakuza game series, the Kung Fu Hustle movie, Bruce Lee, I can go on and on about how ridiculous it is that they can't figure out that a white dude training to be a prime martial artist isn't really all that messed up when they've already got thousands of badass asians in film and vidya games. I wonder what the hell they'd say if instead of a white guy, Iron Fist is a Black guy. Although they'd probably say nothing since they consider blacks more oppressed than asians anyway and would probably cite Wu Tang Klan as being a credible non-appropriation of asian culture and compare it to that.

Oh, and to make things even more funny, they didn't say a single word over the fact that all the white characters in the Attack on Titan live action movie were all played by asians.

>>90630184

Nobody criticized the movie over the yellow washing. It's considered bad, but the SJWs didn't say anything about that particular thing.
>>
File: murricans are nipnongs bitches.jpg (1MB, 1224x2744px) Image search: [Google]
murricans are nipnongs bitches.jpg
1MB, 1224x2744px
>>90630255
>>
>>90630270

At the age of 10 you had no idea what a lawyer was for other than the vague understanding that you had a right to one.

And assuming that you aren't a complete autistic shut in and have regular interactions with the world. Heaps of young people who were born and lives in the U.S their entire lives have no idea how to get a bank account, write a check or apply for a passport. So yes, it is a reasonable explanation that someone who disappeared as a child and spent his formative years in a completely foreign land to have no fucking idea how to be an adult in the civilized world
>>
File: Memoirs_of_a_Geisha_Poster.jpg (26KB, 300x446px) Image search: [Google]
Memoirs_of_a_Geisha_Poster.jpg
26KB, 300x446px
>>90626972
Also the Chinese govt are partially to blame for certain casting choices. I think this is why Suicide Squad didn't get a China release and why they didn't have Marcy from BVS stick around too long
>>
>>90626972
>the same bullshit about how Asians are being hurt by whitewashing

But whitewashing never occurred.
>>
>>90630373

So are you saying at the age of 10 you were capable of corporate wrangling,lengthy law suits, and estate disputes?
>>
>>90630736

No one is arguing white washing in here, its the issue of characterization
>>
>>90630525
Are you gonna explain what's happening here or are you going to assume we can all read weebenese?
>>
>>90630525
so does akuma looking dude regularly go to the white house and talk to the current president?
>>
>>90630586
Suicide Squad didn't get a release because of the Enchantress evil witchcraft shit. Chinese censors don't dig that stuff.
>>
>>90630558
Where do you live bud? Writing a check and basic living were taught in classes in 3rd grade. And landmark legal cases (Brown v. BoE. OJ v. People) were discussed ad nauseam in social studies. And yes, with that came an understanding that lawyers represent people in court against other people. And someone worth a billion dollar fortune clearly would get NO help from any legal team because of cultural differences..

Naaaah yea, your right.., I'm autistic and the characterization is racist. But a 10 year old raised in a temple wouldn't have sense to go to a bank n ask "how do I get an account?"
>>
>>90630807
Nope, but if my name was Trump and the Don was dead, I bet I could go to any law firm I wanted and theyd take my case for me.
>>
>>90626735
Nobody gave a shit about the race changes in Doctor Strange because it starred some meme actors. hell, they didn't even care about the fact that a movie about magic had more martial arts than magic in it.
>>
>>90630968
Wasn't it because Katana had a Japanese flag on her mask?
>>
>>90630982

>"i have never interacted with people outside my socioeconomic group"

The post

Seriously if you don't believe me, go talk to some black or Mexican kids from the hood, they might as well be from another planet as many of them have ZERO comprehension on how to function as a (semi) productive citizen
>>
Professional asain here and personally, I'd be really annoyed if the magical kung-fu character was asian.
>>
>>90630855
>>90630875
>what is grappler baki
and here i thought it was pretty famous.
Yujiro is a man so strong that everytime the United States elects a new President they have to appear before him and swear they won't try and fuck with him. He is basically considered his own sovereign nation state.

there are fuckloads of manga/anime where westerners are bitches to the superior japanese, but nobody bitches about that, not in the west and not in asia, probably because everybody besides SJWs (formerly known as the religious right) realize how autistic that is
>>
>>90631044

Assuming that Barron up a disappeared for 15 years, and came back with no proof of identity or any understanding of the complexities and nuances or being in the upper class due to being raised in an Asian temple. His brothers and sisters would have split his share of his inheritance and would block any opportunity to a DNA check to prove his identity
>>
The interplay between Danny (a rich white guy) and Luke (a poor/middle class black guy) has always been a really interesting dynamic in Defenders, and I hope the Defenders show will actually address their disparity in some way.
>>
>>90631153
Homie... They might have MORE of an understanding because they fucking need those legalities. I know doughboys that have gotten off on loopholes time after time because they can get the right help for a big price.

Sound familiar to the thread topic?

Youre grasping at straws homie. Either way, this goes nowhere.

I'll do my best to enjoy the show on my favorite hero. I hope youre posts are the usual Chan exaggerations.

Also, pick up the Immortal Iron Fist run, you may enjoy it. Living weapons for the 7 cities are badass.
>>
Is the ancient one Asian in the original comics?

if so then yes they deserve the scrutiny
>>
>>90631356
That is a great point, I won't argue. But assuming he has absolutely zero ,understanding of basic mechinazations of the world at the age of 10 is just silly.
>>
>>90631376

So you are saying that you have no idea or interactions with those people because from what you posted you really have no understanding at all.
>>
>>90631301
>what is grappler bakiand here i thought it was pretty famous.Yujiro is a man so strong that everytime the United States elects a new President they have to appear before him and swear they won't try and fuck with him.
I'd heard of it but never knew that bit was a thing, I've really need to work on my backlog
>>
>>90631481

>But assuming he has absolutely zero ,understanding of basic mechinazations of the world at the age of 10 is just silly.

Assuming that scenario was possible, I highly doubt that Barron would make it past the reception desk at Trump Tower and would be dismissed as a con artist at best, delusional at worst.
>>
>>90631495
No, I'm saying for a 10 year old hood rat, youre right. But talk to a 25 year old mover, n they'll prolly know more than you're college level intern. Bet.
>>
I think the bigger travesty is that they picked a Danny who can't convincingly move like a martial artist.

If they were going to race swap someone to be asian, they should have done it to Dr Strange or because there's asians who pretty much look like that.

Domino would also work, because her race isn't that specific. BIg titters, short black hair. Pale as fuck. Black dot.

I haven't seen much of the Iron fist series. Do they at least have good parts for asians? Same question for Dr strange. Did they fuck up Wong's part?
>>
>>90626735
You can't win. People will be crying foul if Iron Fist were Asian as well.
>>
>>90631590
I agree. So that leaves us at...

>blind man can fight his way through hell and back
>super woman drinker can take down a mind terrorist
>bulletproof, supernig takes down a crime syndicate
>used to be rich white martial artist hires a lawyer to get bac-NOPE

What are we really doing here?
>>
>>90631605

Surprisingly no, if you talk to the guys who spent their youth in and out of the system, you would realize that any idea of rehabilitation is almost impossible as they have no concept on what it really entails to be an ordinary tax paying citizen with a 9-5 job who takes care of his kids (beyond making a child support payment)
>>
>>90631625
>I haven't seen much of the Iron fist series.
Hasn't been released yet
As for Doctor Strange, Wong is the only Asian main character, though they made Kamar-Taj a multicultural kind of place with people of many races. Wong got an upgrade from manservant to magic user himself
>>
>>90631716

It has already been addressed, you are just being obtuse
>>
>>90629479
That's fucking retarded and your comic is retarded too.
>>
>>90631891
Eh, been called worse by better people. I'll just enjoy the show.>>
>>
>>90631780
All I can say is I know people who prove you wrong daily, not much detail needed more than that.

Lets jus enjoy some /co/ series, yea?
>>
>>90632202

No you can't, a 25 year old "mover" is simply the smartest person in the special olympics, being smart doesn't change the fact that crime involves contacts of mostly stupid and uneducated people who fuck up on the simplest thing and rat everyone out when they get caught. The smart ones are the guys who realize that there are no winners in the game and get out.

But congratulations on finishing The Wire 10 years late
>>
>>90631590
You should be able to recognize someone. Even after they age from 15 years.

Guess who this is. I'll give you a hint; He's a celebrity in his 20s
>>
>>90626735
The double standards around the issue are trite.
>>
>>90626735
>Dr Strange
Explained away fine, no particular feelings for or against.

>Iron Fist
Feels like a missed opportunity. Making a race or culture-conscious casting decision, or even tackling the controversy in a more direct manner might have spurred more interesting stories, the same way cultural decisions in the other Netflix marvel shows.

By contrast Iron Fist feels as generic as Agents of Shield or Age of Ultron, always pussyfooting around the more engaging threads in favor of safer avenues. Action scenes also feel weak.

Contrast the above to another controversy like Ghost in the Shell, where race-blind casting not only (unintentionally) fits the themes of the source and keeps in the tradition of the franchise (i.e. different media being wildly different from version to version) but potentially allows for a more interesting alternative take.

Not really in a position to make a final judgment on either though. Haven't seen all of IF and GitS not out until next week.
>>
>>90631412
He's an old Tibetan mystic named Yao in the comics.
>>
>>90626735
As an Asian, I say there's nothing wrong with them.
>>
>>90632495

> implying impostors don't exist
>implying someone who spent his formative years in a completely different culture wouldn't have a different look, accent or carry himself differently

But lets go with the idea that someone who spent 15 years of his life in a strict karate temple is going to come back acting like a poor mans Star Lord
>>
>>90632800
Not saying you're wrong, but I don't think being Asian gives you the authority to speak on behalf of the three billion other Asians in the world.
>>
File: swinton_ancientone.png (462KB, 748x427px) Image search: [Google]
swinton_ancientone.png
462KB, 748x427px
>>90626854
Honestly I thought it was kind of stupid that Strange at first saw a guy that looked like the comic version and thought he was the ancient one then it wound up being some bald white bitch.
>>
>>90633037
But Asian-Americans and whites presume to speak on behalf of real Asians.
>>
>>90633252
Swinton is the best female actor in the entire MCU
>>
>>90633325
I really like Tilda Swinton, but that's not exactly a high bar.
>>
>>90633037

Not the guy you quoted but as another Asian, I think we have more authority to speak on what is offensive to Asians than a white person who never left his state lines

But no, the issue of race isn't a big issue but the way his character is handled is.

But that being said race is the LEAST of Iron Fist's issues if the reviews are right in that the show is a boring legal drama with very few fight scenes and the one that are there being very badly choreographed. A show with race issues that delivers on the concept of martial arts is better than a martial arts show with race issues that has very little martial arts and spends most of its time doing a bad imitation of The Good Wife
>>
>>90633325
I love her but didn't really think she was that great in the role.
>>
>>90629328

Anna and the King was a remake of The King and I, a classic movie from the 50's(iirc). Your complaints about Marco Polo are asinine, you may as well speak out against the Pirates of the Carribean movies.
>>
>>90633443
>But that being said race is the LEAST of Iron Fist's issues if the reviews are right

Ah, that reminder that you're talking completely out of your ass because pretty much nobody has seen it yet.

keep being a piece of garbage shitposter, it looks good on you.
>>
>>90634205

No one thinks Jack Sparrow was a real person or any of his exploits actually happened but people unironically believe that a white lady went to Thailand and bossed the king around because westerners are so used to white savior narrative and any story that involves it is taken as fact
>>
>>90634333

Keyword is "IF' the reviews are right

But congrats on not knowing how to read
>>
>>90633325
She was pretty qt.
>>
>>90634333
What part of "IF" do you not understand?

Fucking up the martial arts is full stop, full retard, gg no re, throw it in the garbage time for Iron fist.

Now I have zero faith in the reviewers being anything but stinky cheese weasels, but it's not a good sign.
>>
>>90630968
No. It's literally because of witchcraft. For whatever reason, the Chinese government hates anything vaguely paranormal unlesss it's directly rooted in fantasy or myth. It's the same reason Ghostbusters 2016 wasn't aired in China.

>>90626972
No one is saying both issues aren't important. That's an important distinction to make.
>>
>>90634333
Look, if people were just grabbing some single random bad review and trying to act like it was definitive because it fit their narrative it would be one thing, but literally every reviewer that's seen this thing says it's shit

Where there's smoke, there's fire
>>
>>90629479
>tfw this is going to happen for reals in another 50 years
give us back our money, China!
>>
>>90626735
>where do you stand?

Preferably on an SJW's throat.
>>
File: 1489026100185.jpg (132KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1489026100185.jpg
132KB, 1920x1080px
>>90635074

>look mom, I said it again
>>
>>90629700
Amell works hard though. He is always getting bruises and broken noses.
>>
>>90626735
There is no issue.
>>
I have nothing against the Marvel Netflix shows because I'm not very invested in them, but how do they keep making the same mistakes?

Their fight choreography outside of Daredevil is embarrassing, and their pacing is horrendous. Why are these things 13 episodes instead of 8?
>>
>>90626735
If it was white in the comics than who cares if he was white in the series.

Like with Dr Strange there's no reason for the ancient one to be some white female piece of shit. They could have easily cast a chinaman. Like sure cannot make it tibetian but that doesn't mean cutying out the asian ancient one altogether. No fucking reason to do that.
>>
>>90631301
Plus all those manga/anime/movie where the U.S is the default bad guys or just all around political assholes
>>
>>90634661

ok. but why don't you just stop frothing at the mouth and wait to watch it yourself, which you almost certainly will.

/tv/ please go.
>>
>>90635459

The only reason.... ONLY reason, that wasn't a weird choice to me is because they picked Tilda Swinton, who is a very great actress and also androgynous as all hell, esp without hair.

It worked. and its not like the ancient one was some huge player in the Marvel universe. Its not like they made Uncle Ben black (not the rice guy, hes crazy black)
>>
>>90635532
It's almost like they never got over Hiroshima
>>
>>90627291
I think they put something in the water.
>>
>>90635459
>replacing one asian with another
I think that would've pissed them off too, but to a lesser extent. I'm not sure how people reacted to Sulu being changed to Korean. Him being gay eclipsed everything. Wait, how did an alternate reality chang

aw fuck it
>>
>>90636491
A lot of people bitched about Sulu being played by a Korean guy, except for Takei (who also didn't like that Sulu got turned gay in the reboot).

It's a stupid complaint because Sulu is supposed to represent East Asia as a whole, not just Japan, and most of the notable East Asians in the Trek shows were played by different types of East Asians.
>>
>>90631688
This, there is no winning. You can't appease narcissistic twitter warriors who only care about making themselves seem virtuous by picking everything apart.
>>
>>90629328
>and didn't advise the king on any policy whatsoever.
So like in the movie
>he claims to have found villages where people and dog heads and bird bodies
Nothing like that in the show (except when he got high on drugs), so I guess you're fine with it. He's merely the narrator and the stranger through we, the viewer, learn the traditions of this people. He fucks up literally always and even after 2 years learning martial arts by the best teacher around he still loses against everybody, including women and children
>>
>>90636810
In the movie Anna asks for the king to spare the life of that concubine, but the retard does it in an autoritarian manner and in front of some people so the king is forced to ignore her (he wanted to save the concubine while looking like a powerful king) and keep with the punishment (death). That's the only "advice" I remember
>>
File: 117175456446.jpg (92KB, 384x313px) Image search: [Google]
117175456446.jpg
92KB, 384x313px
>>90636693
I always thought he supposed to represent us moving on from WWII
>>
>>90628525
And lets not forget The Last Samurai was based on a true story, though the nationality of the dude was actually French. And he wasn't particularly better than the rest at anything, and was more about the Japaneses saving him because he suffered PSTD
>>
>>90637267
The real samurai rebels used Western equipment and uniforms too.
>>
>>90626735
The MCU is too chicken shit to embrace Marvel's full history, yellow menace warts and all.
>>
I think Iron Fist would probably win in a race unless Dr. Strange was allowed to use portals.
>>
>>90628525
>Keanue Reeves is Half Asian

A bit more complicated than that but his character was half Japanese half British, and was an outcast because of it
>>
>>90626735
>Make Fury black? no problem or are you racist?
>Make Heimdal black? no problem or are you racist?
>Make Valkyrie black? no problem or are you racist?
>Make Domino black? no problem or are you racist
>Make Sitwell black? no problem or are you racist?
>Make Liz Allan black? no problem or are you racist?
>Make Shocker black? no problem or are you racist?
>DID YOU FUCKING KEPT THE ORIGINAL RACE OF IRON FIST??!!! RACIST!!!
>>
>>90637267

False, the Samurai rebellion was about the lords being upset that they were no longer part of a privileged class that was subsidized by the government for the past 200 years and had to get jobs like everyone else
>>
>>90637713
I know Valkyrie's actress is also hispanic and white, but Sitwell actor isn't hispanic?
>>
>>90626735
Danny Rand is supposed to be white.
>>
>>90629479
I'd watch that movie.
>>
>>90637267

>And lets not forget The Last Samurai was based on a true story, though the nationality of the dude was actually French

People who claim The Last Samurai is a White Savior film are particularly stupid. Katsumoto has almost as much screen-time as Algren and a character arc that isn't directly related to the new white guy in town.

You might as well claim that the Daniel Day Lewis Last Of The Mohicans film is a White Savior film.

>>90637518

>The MCU is too chicken shit to embrace Marvel's full history, yellow menace warts and all.

What? Why the fuck should they? They should keep racial caricatures in the stories because that's "respecting the history?"
>>
Honestly i would have preferred an asian actor as Doctor Strange over one-note Cumberbatch, they could have avoided people complaining about him being too Stark-ish and honestly Cumberbatch just played the same role he always does and i dont remember ANY of his scenes, they could have fixed their goddamn movie.

Iron Fist IS a mess and ive never given a fuck about it.

Honestly all the guys marvel cast have the same fucking face so im ok with bringing people from other places to avoid that.
>>
File: 1280px-ShiroyamaBattle.jpg (508KB, 1280x867px) Image search: [Google]
1280px-ShiroyamaBattle.jpg
508KB, 1280x867px
>>90637423
I thought it was based on the Satsuma Rebellion and Katsumoto was based on Saigo Takamori in whitch they pretty much fought with Samurai armors and weapons, but yeah, they also used rifles
>>
>>90638043
They should take those old characters/stories and work to make them more than just caricatures instead of pretending they never existed. Race swapping is lazy and cowardly.
>>
>>90638221
My dream casting for Strange was Oded Fehr or Alexander Siddig.

I didn't care that they kept Strange white, though. I just don't like that they cast Cumberbatch. He's the reason I still haven't watched that movie (I swore that if they cast either Depp or Cumberbatch, I wouldn't watch it), but from what I've heard I'm not missing much.
>>
>>90629479
>Magnificent 7 has an Asian guy as a cowboy doing cowboy stuff like any other cowboy
>Nobody complains
>That webcomic
Love when this people make such strawmen
>>
>>90638445
>(I swore that if they cast either Depp or Cumberbatch, I wouldn't watch it)
So are you not watching Thor Ragnarok and Infinity War because he's in it?
>>
>>90638574
Not planning to, no. Plus, Thor Ragnarok looks like garbage.
>>
>>90638559

You post would have merit if the Asian guy was the ULTIMATE cowboy who had a complete mastery of cowboyism and was the sole savior of a bunch of white people who couldn't muster a competent cowboy of their own

But you're just being obtuse
>>
>>90637713
>Make Leeds Filipino? No problem, or are you racist?
>Make Flash Latino? No problem, or are you racist?
>>
>>90638989
But Danny aint any of that either, so what's your point?
>>
>>90638997
>Make Trask black. No problem, or are you racist?
>Make him white in the same continuity? No problem, or are you heightist?
Also props to fox by having a Guatemalan play an Egyptian with little to no backlash.
>>
>>90639071
he has no point. all his info comes from twitter and angry youtube comments
>>
>>90637713
Why did you only use blacks as an example tho?
>>
>>90639736
>heightist
It's ableist actually, sorry for being that guy
>>
>>90639799
Because usually the ones more portrayed in racebending for some reason
>>
>>90627464
8 goddesses. President was being given orders by a cult leader. Might be a test of a feminist society looks like or so some anons say.
>>
>>90639958
Except this argument was about a white guy taking on the culture of some Asian.
>>
>>90626972
>Filipino President being crazy
His numbers keep going up! What the fuck.
>>
>>90640324
stupid nigger
>>
>>90640143
It's almost as if not all cultures are equal and some countries are less civilised than others.
>>
>>90640324
And Danny can be white (in fact he's), so I don't see the problem, but fucking retarded SJW are butthurt as fuck for some reason
>>
>>90640460
>in fact he's
That's not how abbreviations work.
>>
>>90640415
DELETE!
>>
>>90640385
,':^2
>>
>>90626972
I Mean you being Asian does not validate your opinion over his opinion, but you did bring up a good point.
>>
>>90640514
That's not an abbreviation, the term is contraction
>>
File: Maximiliano_Hernandez.jpg (54KB, 445x594px) Image search: [Google]
Maximiliano_Hernandez.jpg
54KB, 445x594px
>>90640324
>A literal who
A not even black. Why do hispanic actors either count for white, black, or indian? Same deal with Valkyrie's actress. What does she count as?
>>
File: 1487209957800.png (188KB, 280x434px) Image search: [Google]
1487209957800.png
188KB, 280x434px
>>90640324
>Domino
>blue skin
>>
>>90626735
Hollywood doesn't give a fuck about Asians because they aren't black. Personally, I love the hypocrisy of it and it just gives me an excuse to shit on Asian people.

That's what you get with this trend of PC crap and the whole oppression scale shit.
>>
>>90640833
>Hollywood doesn't give a fuck about Asians because they aren't black.

The whole thing was people arguing about whites taking roles in Asian cultures. It was the same thing with various other roles that didn't feature blacks.

>I love the hypocrisy of it and it just gives me an excuse to shit on Asian people.

I'm not seeing the hypocrisy, because people are complaining about it just as they do with blacks.

>That's what you get with this trend of PC

You don't mean, trend of politically correct. Because for decades America has been politically correct. Being PC can slide from being a politically correct republican to being a politically correct democrat etc etc. You might be too young to know this, but what you're upset about is the SJW version of this.
>>
>>90640791
Because most hispanics are too busy being of some use to society to bitch about it
>>
>>90641094
All I know is whites are taking Asian roles and nobody gives enough of a fuck to change anything about it. Replace a white character with a black actor and people say "get over it", do the opposite and people scream racism.

This is racist, but nobody is vocal because America is black and white now. Asians are just whites with narrow eyes according to SJW.
>>
>>90641214
Except they also complain about certain representations of themselves as well.

Not only that, but that wasn't his question.
>>
File: 184749484774.jpg (22KB, 232x190px) Image search: [Google]
184749484774.jpg
22KB, 232x190px
>>90640833
>Hollywood doesn't give a fuck about Asians
>Does this shit because of the Chinese
At least you can still shit on Asian people, just with a "*"
>>
>>90641281
>All I know is whites are taking Asian roles and nobody gives enough of a fuck to change anything about it.

Do you read comics? Danny Rand is literally white. This what happens when you exclusively browse /co/ to discuss this shit.

>This is racist, but nobody is vocal because America is black and white now. Asians are just whites with narrow eyes according to SJW.

It was the SJW Asians who were upset the most about this on twitter.
>>
>>90626735
I think they should've kept the Ancient One an old Tibetan monk.

Gender, I couldn't really care one way or the other about, but you'd think for all the times Hollywood takes a political stance on something relating to events in this country, they might have the balls to give China the middle finger for ONE movie.
>>
>>90627504
Did you even see Great Wall or The Last Samurai? The white guys on those posters weren't actually the main protagonists
>>
>>90641399
>It was the SJW Asians who were upset the most about this on twitter.
They aren't black though, so their voices were ignored because they won't riot and destroy shit if they don't get their way.
>>
>>90641281
>All I know is whites are taking Asian roles and nobody gives enough of a fuck to change anything about it.

Iron Fist is and has always been whitey mcwhite white.

>Replace a white character with a black actor and people say "get over it", do the opposite and people scream racism.

I mean I can't recall a time where hollywood has replaced a black character with a white or another race. Luke Cage did it with Shades and he was generally well received.
>>
>>90641469
>They aren't black though, so their voices were ignored because they won't riot and destroy shit if they don't get their way.

No, they were trending with many SJWs also playing the game. Did you actually tune into what they were talking about? They all were going in about it. Even that Asian actor from Star Trek spoke on it.
>>
Dunno. I kinda don't give a shit I guess.

I can sorta see why some folk might be disappointed by not following the source. I'm just not as anal about comics as I am about videogames, I guess.
>>
>>90641469
No one rioted over a casting decision and this issue might be affecting how it was reviewed. Plus an asian sjw chased one of the actors off twitter.
>>
>>90641469
>They aren't black though, so their voices were ignored because they won't riot and destroy shit if they don't get their way.

>Ignored

>Massive media articles about Iron Fist and the Chosen One being white

/co/ was so triggered around that time. The articles were golden.
>>
>>90640073
Except no.
This is about Iron Fist.
>>
>>90641469
I mean hard to ignore the trending subject on twitter 3 nights in a row.

>they won't riot and destroy shit if they don't get their way.

Literally no one in America has EVER rioted over a casting decision or anything of the sort. I have no idea wtf you're talking about. Now there have been riots over sports, but even then it was usually fans of various creeds taking to the street and fucking shit up.
>>
>>90641831
But sports fans are just idiots anyway.
>>
>>90641831
>Literally no one in America has EVER rioted over a casting decision or anything of the sort
Give it time. If we can get riots because someone is speaking at a university that people don't like, we can get some riots over casting decisions
>>
>>90626866
Am I the only one that doesn't get a gay vibe from Cap and Bucky?
>>
>>90641908
>Give it time. If we can get riots because someone is speaking at a university that people don't like, we can get some riots over casting decisions

I mean despite how awful the climate has always seemed, it hasn't happened yet, so it's safe to say it won't. At this point your argument is a hypothetical.
>>
>>90642019
I'm not the guy who were talking to, just saying. I don't see riots over casting as something that is unlikely
>>
>>90641908
>If we can get riots because someone is speaking at a university that people don't like, we can get some riots over casting decisions

Those are two different things though. One involves social politics, politics that might effect one's life. The other is a movie you can easily protest or avoid and raise enough drama that make people in Hollywood take a step back from when considering doing it again.

People tend to over exaggerate how stupid people can be sometimes. Yea people will be pissed off at something like that, but no one has taken to the streets to riot.
>>
Dr. Strange is fine because they had a diverse cast and shot on location in Nepal and helped the locals after a devastating earthquake as well.

Iron Fist just looks dumb and sounds dumb. What if Steve Jobs was a buddhist monk but instead of showing you kung fu action it's him trying to balance his billion dollar empire. THRILLING IDEA FOR A SHOW on top of casting the most plain looking actor for the lead role.
>>
>>90642185
>some guy speaking at a uni might effect one's life
I mean, only if you're a business in the area when the riot starts I guess
>>
>>90642087
>I don't see riots over casting as something that is unlikely

His argument is, "THey won't riot and destroy shit to get their way", when no one has ever rioted or destroyed over a casting choice, they've only protested the movie and most of the time that's online and within their rights.
>>
>>90638338
They did that with The Mandarin and all the nerds hated it.
>>
>>90642245
You're not understanding.

The guy speaking is talking about politics and endorsing politics that effect the lives of the people on campus. It does not and NEVER WILL justify rioting, but it isn't the same as saying people will riot over casting choices.

See one is fiction and can be easily protested. The other is real life and incites more emotion.
>>
>>90638445
yeeees those are great choices.
i TRULY hate how cumberbatch portrays strange and he looks nothing like his comic counterpart who always stood a little bit for me (except when they just redraw stark and put him as strange but well....they rewrote stark and put him in the strange film so)
>>
>>90641908
People riot over sports. People riot over spring break. Fucking nobody is going to riot over a movie based on a property like 1% of Americans are actually familiar with.

Maybe if someone makes Selma 2 starring Gary Oldman as MLK. Maybe.
>>
>>90642452
But I constantly see people saying that casting decisions have a real, tangible effect on people's lives. And these are the same kind of people who perpetrated the riots at Berkeley.
It doesn't matter that you or I don't believe that how a character is cast doesn't have an effect on anyone, what matters is what people prone to fucking rioting believe
>>
Iron Fist is white, BARON Mordo is white, and the Ancient One is an Asian man.
>>
It's frustrating that Hollywood casting decisions now have to bend to the whims of the racist (against other Asians) Chinese market.
>>
>>90642567
There's arguably a correlation between seeing yourself represented and your self confidence in the society you belong to. Studies on children picking who the "bad kid" is among a list of identical dolls with different shades of color, etc.

But it's not on the same level as someone who wants to ruin your livelihood.
>>
>>90642844
You assume these people are far more reasonable than I think they are.
And that's fine, I can't really change your mind on that front.
>>
>>90642567
See
>>90642551

No one will riot over something as simple as a casting choice because:

1. Does not invoke as much emotion as some public speaker siding with politics people disagree with

and

2. No one gives a fuck about casting choices, people will easily just boycott the movie seeing how that will have a direct blow on the movie's profit

On top of that, even with all this shit going on, there have YET to be a riot over something taht stupid. Again the closest American's have come to somethign that stupid is pretty much sports. Maybe you think it will happen, but I have enough faith in my fellow man, that it won't. In which we're arguing a hypothetical.
>>
>>90642567
See, but because this hasn't happened, we can assume that people don't give a fuck.

I don't even know who you are talking about, but if it's the people I think you're talking about, there's multiple cases of things being waaaaay worse than they are now and them not rioting over it. You can relax Anon.

Most people here tend to exaggerate others.
>>
>>90628667
>>90628776

it's not white guilt guys, Asians and indians have a native culture they can identify with and return to. Black Americans don't, they share the same culture as White Americans except they've always done it from a subservient point.

Now all they ask is some sort of representation in the media and culture they've been a part of since birth.
>>
>>90644895
And that's really the tragedy of it, isn't it? They have been cut off from their roots and are an utterly broken and ruined people.

Honestly at this point I'm not even sure they can be repaired.
>>
File: shrug.gif (77KB, 500x327px) Image search: [Google]
shrug.gif
77KB, 500x327px
>>90644895
But I don't want to get or look like I'm asking for more than what's fair. Which is why I don't want them to race bend a character black. People like Christopher Priest Tyler Perry, Oprah and Shonda Rimes have carved out profitable niches for themselves and original characters already exist. I don't know what more I can ask for honestly.
>>
>>90645521
I honestly don't see a problem with race bending lesser known characters, especially if their ethnicity isn't essential to the character.

look at it from the viewpoint of a growing black child,

>be told that your people were slaves
>it's ok though now, we've moved past it
>just ignore the last 50+ years of blacks being derogatorily shown in media

let's say they move past this as well, they get into comics, popular culture and all that. It's the little things that matter here.

>oh ok, almost all the established and well loved characters are white,
>slightly intimidated or can't relate
>hip hop it is then

They're essentially coerced into a specific niche of the cultural zeitgeist they've been a part of since birth. A hyper masculine one at that.
>>90645521
>People like Christopher Priest Tyler Perry, Oprah and Shonda Rimes have carved out profitable niches for themselves and original characters already exist.

translation, just stick to these guys and stop trying to burst into the cultural zeitgeist you've been excluded from all this time. Black Americans consume media too

Nick Fury basically being black in the public's eye rn is a positive example of this. In my perspective, if the character's ethnicity isn't essential I feel creators should be encouraged to play around with it a little bit when shifting mediums.
>>
>>90646529
So what you're saying is, blacks have their own niche, as do whites, yet fuck that blacks should also be part of the white niche?
>>
>>90645521

>People like Christopher Priest Tyler Perry, Oprah and Shonda Rimes have carved out profitable niches for themselves

And?

There can't be more?
>>
Iron Fist has bigger issues than the color of Danny's skin, considering every review I've seen so far says the fight scenes suck. In a martial arts centric show.
>>
>>90646712
You can't be serious right? No.

What I'm saying it American society has essentially forced blacks to have their own niche and cannot freely enjoy mass media on a relatable and emotional level comparable to whites.

It's not so much a white niche as it's the predominant culture and blacks have had to carve their own niche within it. Which even moving forward is fast becoming part of the global cultural zietgeist, however all I'm saying is American Blacks shouldn't be forced to exist within that only.

You mustn't forget that Blacks were brought into the country at a mass disadvantage.
>>
I don't give a shit. Make whatever character whatever race, so long as it's not an integral core to his character. Danny being white isn't important. He could be Asian or Irish or a Spaniard or whatever. Same with Spider-Man, or Batman, tons of other characters.
>>
>>90646712
>>90646725
>>90647113

And to those that say well just make your own characters, think of these as simply sprinkling the seeds of ideas and possibility. Those characters may very well happen over time, nothing happens immediately guys

Pop culture heavily influences people now, and these changes could easily spark ideas in a young black brain that they might have felt uncomfortable or uncertain entertaining before.
>>
File: herpes.jpg (30KB, 450x344px) Image search: [Google]
herpes.jpg
30KB, 450x344px
>>90626735

Hoo boy. It's a tricky issue and really hard to pinpoint a 'right' answer on. In most but not all cases, I don't mind a minor/supporting white character's race being changed if it wasn't really instrumental to who they are in the first place. Sometimes it seems it's done blindly in the name of ~diversity~ and ends up looking jarring and out of place (see: the Thor movies). In the case of Iron Fist, it would have been neat to have an Asian actor play Danny but isn't half the point of the character the classic "stranger in a strange land" story (not to mention the fact that I think most detractors of Finn Jones' casting are forgetting that Fist was created during the height of Asian/blaxploitation/martial arts mania of the late 60's-mid 70's)?

In the cases of typically non-white characters getting cast with white actors, it comes off as almost indefensible especially since Marvel's proclivity for doing so comes almost entirely out of their attempts to appease Chinese markets for a few extra gorillion dollars at the box office. If they didn't want to make the Ancient One Tibetian, fine. Just have him be generically Asian and don't dwell on it. His name is the ANCIENT One, he could be from anywhere and it's honestly not that important. Ironically as they strove to be as non-insulting as possible, they achieved the exact opposite outcome.

(Con'td below)
>>
File: 1373771003750.jpg (115KB, 563x506px) Image search: [Google]
1373771003750.jpg
115KB, 563x506px
>>90647342

I guess at the end of the day, my feelings on the matter are that turning traditionally white and/or male superheroes into non-white and/or female ones is very misguided and ultimately gives off the unfortunate side effect of minorities only being good enough for the hand-me-downs of said white/male heroes. I'm 1000% for more diversity in comics, make no mistake. But let them stand on their own, carve out their own identities, make their own legacies, and be treated as equals by the big guys like Captain America and Spider-Man instead of trying to fill their shoes. Is anyone going to remember Sam Wilson's stint as Cap 30+ years from now more than they will Luke Cage or Black Panther just being themselves?
>>
>>90647268
>gibs muh dat white characters
That's literally all you're able to articulate. You see something someone else has and your reptilian negroid brain decides it wants it.
>>
>>90647113
Why do black people need to see black characters to be able to relate?
>>
File: lorax.jpg (112KB, 874x1205px) Image search: [Google]
lorax.jpg
112KB, 874x1205px
>>90647480

>anyone who isn't white doesn't deserve to sit at the big table and should only accept what table scraps we give them because otherwise it isn't "fair" to us

There's no such thing as "fair" in fucking Hollywood. It's the "It's about ethics in video games" argument, pretending there's some invisible standard that all the good little whites of course follow and anyone trying to break into that system in any way that isn't "We've decided that you, black man, get to direct a movie." And maybe a woman this time too." is cheating.

Fuck that. The "fairness" argument has always been the same as "just shut up and take when we deign to give you" in a nicer wrapper.
>>
>>90647808
non-whites lack the ability to empathise with people outside their race, and often-times even with people outside their immediate family.
>>
>>90647480
because it's all that needs articulating but then again I should have realised that you harbour racist sentiments and a superiority complex.

Sure, simplify a larger cultural issue away though, i'm sure racial division is in your interests anyway.

Change doesn't happen automatically and there is absolutely nothing wrong with changing the ethnicity of a somewhat minor character (in cases where it's not essential) when adapting to a new medium.

You're literally a spoilt kid who got an adopted brother, bullied the fuck out of him until he started fighting back a lil bit and you stopped but are now outraged that he would like you to start sharing your toys with him so he doesn't just have one toy to play with.

>>90647808
They don't but it may be alienating for newcomers. Again, I would like to emphasise taking the chance for change when adapting to new mediums.
>>
File: C4Wy3pCVMAE1tz3.jpg (27KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
C4Wy3pCVMAE1tz3.jpg
27KB, 300x300px
>>90647409

I guess I should add to that too: market the HELL out said minority heroes just as much as Cap, Spidey, etc. Give them their own movies and TV shows without question or the interference of fidgety studio executives. Make a shit load of toys. Hire the best and brightest creative talents to write their books.
>>
>>90647872
>non-whites lack the ability to empathise with people outside their race

ironically you seem to be the one unable to empathise but then again you've made your thinly veiled racism pretty clear tho
>>
>>90647844
>>90647881
You stupid monkeys really can't comprehend this, can you?
If you don't like what this aspect of white culture has to offer, YOU go out and YOU develop YOUR own version of it. Don't just ask for hand outs from white people.
>>
>>90647872
I'm a chink and I can confirm this is true for me, individually. The family thing is especially notable, because when I encounter characters with my same surname in media my first reaction is to feel a sense of kinship and familiarity towards them. Even if it's a fictional character.

Although to be honest, from what I've seen of this multiracial empathy and what it's done to white-majority societies in the past few years, I'm more inclined to regard it as a weakness more than anything else and I'm happy I don't have it.
>>
File: CT5FUeIWsAIDKRX[1].jpg (39KB, 600x607px) Image search: [Google]
CT5FUeIWsAIDKRX[1].jpg
39KB, 600x607px
>>90647918
No, it's true. It's why non-whites get confused and frustrated when they see the "white people smile", an empathetic expression used by whites.
>>
>>90648259
That's really interesting. Is this an actual really real thing that exists and you're not just messing with me?

Cause I am confused as fuck by the face in this picture. It's showing... ambivalence? awkward pride in group or team entities? smugness? I can't get a read on it very well at all.

Is this an actual expression that whites have that non-whites lack? Fascinating.
>>
>>90626735
Race issues dont matter kill all your selfs
>>
>>90648259
>>90648357
Vaguely looks like he's suppressing laughter, or maybe holding in a fart.
>>
>>90648259
>>90648154
it's obvious you have a superiority complex and racial division is in your interests.

>white people smile

what are you even on about? Empathy is relative to context. Your image provides no context what so ever and can easily be misconstrued as smug or pity smile if going by eyes

>>90648357
Don't be retarded. Do you not interact with people?
>>
File: QE6YP2sq.jpg (24KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
QE6YP2sq.jpg
24KB, 400x400px
>>90648156
>surname
Thanks for the input Fuc
>>90647268
>>90647808
>>90647872
>>90647881

oboy
>>
>>90648460
It's not a complex. White people are superior. That's why you live in our countries and speak our languages, rather than the other way around.
>>
>>90648415
Agreed
>>
>>90647881
>You're literally a spoilt kid who got an adopted brother, bullied the fuck out of him until he started fighting back a lil bit and you stopped
I personally haven't done shit to any hypothetical black adopted brothers.
This collectivist bullshit mentality is retarded
>>
>>90648460
>Don't be retarded. Do you not interact with people?

I have no clear recollections of any whites showing that expression in of itself. Maybe similar things as transitory states between different expressions. the best i can do is 'smug holding back delight or laughter'

Might be able to get a better read if it was a gif or something but that's all i can get out of the one frame.
>>
>>90626735
I just wish I could go back to four years ago when I was actually able to go through a day without seeing someone arguing over race or gender.
>>
File: Cro1eiNXgAAhl3V.jpg (145KB, 1152x1152px) Image search: [Google]
Cro1eiNXgAAhl3V.jpg
145KB, 1152x1152px
>>90648259
>>90648494
wait

fuck
there's the face again
>>
>>90648588
I just wish I could go back 8 years and tell my retarded fresh faced self not to vote for Obama. He's set back race relations decades
>>
>>90648494
Everytime you post this, Bendis rolls around in his grave
>>
>>90648560
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LCJyRCAP2Q
>>
>>90638989
What about Shanghai noon where Jackie Chan was the ULTIMATE cowboy.
>>
File: 1487456364349.jpg (25KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1487456364349.jpg
25KB, 300x300px
>>90648601
>>
>>90648502
We're talking about Black Americans, people who have been Americans since birth and since their ancestors were brought on slave ships. They have no other country or languages of their own.

>>90648534
What you've done personally isn't relevant, it's a fact that black Americans have only just managed to crawl out from America's boot.

Please don't stick your fingers into your ears and ignore everything around you that doesn't personally relate to you. It affects the culture

>>90648636
how so? if anything it brought it to the forefront by highlighting the bubbling hatred within America

>>90648560
yee tru, guy posted a retarded picture, dunno if he was trying to prove point with it or something
>>
>>90648601
Center face would be pleased and smug at team identity and success
right side is happy
left side is happy near neutral, deliberately restraining expression for shot

it would help if they didn't move their arms constantly behind their backs and shifting their weights to destract me
>>
>>90648636
If he didn't win people would've just been pushing all the shit we see about race today eight years ago.
>>
>>90648502
I don't think hes black anon.
>>
>>90648686
Because their ancestors were dominated by superior whites.
>>
>>90647808

>to be able to relate?

On that level alone, they don't. Nobody of any race does. But flip the situation here: pretend for a moment black people (or any one non-white race) have been the predominant force on the planet since the dawn of civilized society. The majority of characters in fiction are black, as are real-life elected officials, business leaders, etc. You are white. You've grown up your entire life living in a world where the majority of primary figures that are deemed to be of worth are your exact photo negative.

Sure, many of the fictional characters you admire have backstories similar to yours or are otherwise compelling enough to engross you time and time again, but here comes a disproportionate handful of heroes with the same skin color as you. Performing the same, if not greater feats. Saving the world. Being the beautiful princess who is rescued by the handsome prince. BEING the handsome prince who rescues the princess. Making a positive difference. Suddenly, you feel as if you could too.
>>
whats the point in iron fist being white when shang chi exists? also muh "grounded in realism" and not over the top mystic martial arts
>>
File: Slim Pickens.jpg (16KB, 274x201px) Image search: [Google]
Slim Pickens.jpg
16KB, 274x201px
>>90648636
>He's set back race relations decades
Race relations have been shit for a hundred years. All the Obama Presidency did was rustle a lot of assholes into getting vocal about it (on both sides).

You aren't old enough to yearn for the "olden days", so cut if the fuck out.
>>
>>90648679
Aw man I love that song
>>
File: ironfist.gif (3MB, 340x332px) Image search: [Google]
ironfist.gif
3MB, 340x332px
>>90648259
I think I do this, but I'm black. Is this genetic or something I picked up?
>>
>>90648741
do you mean "what's the point in iron fist being Asian"? Because Shang Chi isn't white.
>>
>>90648738
Bitch I'm a half black man raised in Japan. All the shit you just said makes no sense to me. I didn't need people of my skin tone in the media I consumed to make me think I was also capable of doing things.
>>
>>90648827
sorry yeah
>>
>>90648833
Individual experience is different from collective experience.
>>
>non-american blacks are still called african americans
>>
>>90648884
Collective thinking is cancerous
>>
File: latest[2].png (773KB, 628x891px) Image search: [Google]
latest[2].png
773KB, 628x891px
>>90648738
That's the stupidest thing I've ever read.
You know what would really make a positive difference? If people of a certain minority noticed that they had very little representation in a certain medium, but instead of demanding it be changed to suit them, they worked on their own version and produced media by their people, for their people.
>>
>>90648738
only sjws, possibly normies, and dumbasses care about relating to a character based on race
>>
>>90648723
Born in Africa, primary school there but lived my formative years in Australia, a very anglo centric country.

I can empathise with Black Americans on some level but the fact remains I always had my own identity to fall back when I was growing up for a sense of pride and warmth.

Black Americans don't have that, not to mention the culture they are growing up in has long viewed them as inferior.

>>90648940
read all my posts above, Black Americans have been part of the american zeitgeist since forever but have been actively denied their place in it, they have created on their own cultural niches but when adapting works for new mediums, I don't see the problem with changing race of minor characters to better reflect the audiences watching them.
>>
>>90627464
President was being controlled by an organization called the 8 Goddesses, made of 8 highly rich and influential women.

Real world is now a kung fu movie.
>>
>>90649001
desu i feel that there are already plenty of black characters and you dont really need to change their race unless the actor is better/more fitting
>>
>>90627567
Nigga he was like 10 when the crash happened.
>>
>>90649001
You don't seem to understand that black Americans have a culture separate to white Americans. The culture you are complaining about not being representative is made primarily by white people through the cultural lens of white people, it therefore is more representative of white people.

It's perfectly acceptable for black people to watch or read or listen to these things, but it's not okay to except them to be changed to better suit their sensibilities. It's not made for them.
>>
>>90649221
>It's perfectly acceptable for black people to watch or read or listen to these things, but it's not okay to except them to be changed to better suit their sensibilities. It's not made for them.

May have been true in the past, but definitely not anymore. You know this
>>
>>90649277
Yes, it is true.
The fact is that black people are a minority and due to their distinct cultural sensibilities, an even smaller fraction of that fraction will be interested in typically white media.
>>
>>90636073
it was just a social experiment bro they don't need to get so mad over it
>>
>>90629700
I said it before and I'll say it again: Jones is way too scrawny to play iron fist.
>>
>>90649144
Just saying I don't see a problem if minor race change occurs when shifting to a new medium, may reach new audiences or not but I do agree best actor should be picked for role

>>90649221
Comics and superheroes are no longer a white thing for white audiences, execs and producers are always trying to reach new audiences and race changes can be utilised for that and ideologically I don't have a problem with it and trying to make others why I don't
>>
>>90649337
>white media

It's no longer really white media tho is it, in the past might have been but since the cultural landscape has shifted, the media is shifting along with it.
>>
>>90649398
Comic books and superheroes are still a white thing for white audiences. It doesn't matter what execs and producers are trying to do, comics books are always going to have a niche audience and changing the race of characters isn't going to give them any more customers. What it will do and has done though is alienate their core fanbase to the point where people have stopped buying from them.
>>
>>90649422
Yes it is white media. It's made primarily by white people, featuring primarily white casts for primarily white audiences. Cast will often have minority cast members to better reflect the population's demographics, but you can't honestly believe that for example any show produced by the CW is made by anyone other than whites and for anyone other than whites.
>>
>>90629676
Didn't Strange get backlash for that mainly from the association for Asian actors?
>>
>>90649453
>>90649513

Certainly agree with comics having a niche and predominantly white audience demographics wise but I'm talking about their adaptations into new mediums where the established races of minor characters pays little relevance and has the possibility of bringing in new audiences
>>
File: 1373334814448.jpg (85KB, 495x491px) Image search: [Google]
1373334814448.jpg
85KB, 495x491px
>>90635532
mfw Hedgehog and Squirrel made Americans the most badass for villains.
>>
>>90649513
CW shows and the like are targeted at a young demographic across races, not necessarily whites
>>
>>90649627
CW shows are garbage
>>
>>90649587
A minor character's race is always the most relevant part of them, is the thing. When they're not well developed then their physical appearance is all they have to go on. Take that away and you're left with nothing at all.

Additionally, changing a secondary character's race does not bring in a new audience.
Black people aren't going to be rushing to watch the new Thor movie now that he has a black girlfriend, I doubt making Baron Mordo black brought many black butts into Dr Strange seats.
>>
>>90649627
CW shows and the like are targeted at a young, white, predominantly female demographic.
That's who likes Supernatural and Arrow and their vampire dramas, etc.
>>
>>90649667
>I doubt making Baron Mordo black brought many black butts into Dr Strange seats.

It didn't, but the actor himself did. He has a loyal following both black and white. He is a nice actor.
>>
>>90626866
>somehow male friendship starting from playground and reforged on hundred battlefields is gay

t-thanks (((current years))) I guess
>>
>>90639071

if that were true then he wouldn't be the iron fist

Even in the comics when Danny has to fight the previous Iron fist, that guy just so happens to be a white dude as well
>>
File: 1487809251230.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1487809251230.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>90649719

CW is alot more diverse these days
>>
>>90651698
>gritty adaptation of an Archie comic
It doesn't get much whiter than that.
>>
>>90651653
Iron Fist isn't the chosen one of K'un-Lun destined to save them, they're a ceremonial champion. In theory anyone can become the Iron Fist, as long as they have the drive to achieve it.
That being said, the ruling class of K'un-Lun is incredibly corrupt and the reason the last two Iron Fists is political. Iron Fists almost have a 100% mortality rate and most of them die fighting the same enemy, so sending an outlander to an early grave is preferable to sending their own son, or one of their trusted ally. It's for a similar reason that there has only been one female Iron Fist. The ruler of K'un-Lun didn't want women having too much power or responsibility.
Thread posts: 289
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.