[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Was in highschool for only 2 years in the comics >Most

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1

File: Spider-Man-Homecoming.jpg (840KB, 1500x750px) Image search: [Google]
Spider-Man-Homecoming.jpg
840KB, 1500x750px
>Was in highschool for only 2 years in the comics
>Most of his shit happens in college and adult life

Why is Marvel so obsessed with teen Spiderman? Most of his history, he's an adult in college or post-graduate. Highschool life played such a little part outside of the origin.
>>
>>90579718
Spiderman, Batman, and Superman are historically the most well known super heros to the general public, and each have a setting/era that the audience is most comfortable with

>spidey in highschool livin with aunt may
>superman new to metropolis
>batman before sidekicks
>>
>>90579718
Comic fans are manchildren. Peter is their self-insert; young geek that gets cool powers and hot girls after him.

Remember Marvel could've had Peter and MJ be parents way back in 1996, but nope they had to make him relatable to fans. Being a dad is something most neckbeards will never accomplish.
>>
>>90580023
SPBP
>>
>>90579843
>>and each have a setting/era that the audience is most comfortable with
>>spidey in highschool livin with aunt may

But that's not true, high school was like the first four or five years of the comic. The rest he was in college.

It wasn't until the 00's where Marvel suddenly got this fixation on "High School Spider-Man." Even Raimi's Spider-Man didn't stick with high school that long.
>>
>>90579718
to be relatable to the core demographic, or so they think
>>
Gee idk, maybe because if all goes well for them they'll be making 30 Spider-Man sequels and that's the earliest possible starting point
>>
>>90579718
Blame Bendis. Always blame Bendis.
>>
>>90579718
>Highschool life played such a little part outside of the origin.
Yeah, and wasn't he only in highschool for his origin movies? That's only two of the five Spider-Man films.

Fuck, more like one and a half. Peter graduated partway through Raimi's first Spider-Man film.

So what exactly are you complaining about?
>>
Ultimate Spider-Man
>>
I think it goes like this
>popular idea of him is "he's a kid like meeee"
>the rest is, for some reason, glossed over
>every cartoon or movie is putting him in HS

People want to see him as a teen, so Marvel gives them that.
>>
This is why I'm not seeing Homecoming, I prefer adult Spidey

Also dont like how they blackwashed his support cast
>>
>>90584425
>This is why I'm not seeing Homecoming, I prefer adult Spidey

You'll get that in the next film. Despite what Marvel Studios say, there's no way they can put out multiple movies of Spidey still in High school. He'll be off to college in his next film.

>Also dont like how they blackwashed his support cast
Who the fuck cares? They'll all be replaced by a new supporting cast in the next one anyway when he goes to college.
>>
>>90580369
> General Public
> reading comics

General public only watches Spidey cartoons. MOST of them are centered around High school Pete.
>>
Ultimate Spidey in High School has become the '''preferred''' status quo, instead of main universe Peter.

>>90584473
90s TAS he was out of HS wasn't he? And Amazing friends he was in College. Its a rather modern thing that Ultimate kicked off, where HS is the focus.
>>
>>90583135
Three, actually. Amazing Spider-Man and then he graduates in ASM2
>>
>>90579718
>Gonna be in high school for 2 years in the MCU and the rest will be in his college life
Stop complaining.
>>
Marvel has shot themselves in the foot over this. High School = forced teen humor which can be EXTREMELY hit or miss. And because of Teen Peter, they abandoned all other teen heroes like the Runaways.
>>
>>90579843
>batman before sidekicks
Robin is much more well known
>>
>>90584597
>90s TAS he was out of HS wasn't he?

First couple seasons I think he was finishing up college. Rest of the series he was post grad and was actually a teacher.

Though I may be wrong. Most of what I remember of his time not being spidey was working for the Bugle or shit with May. Admittedly, it's been almost 20 years since I've seen the show.
>>
God, one of these days I have to rewatch Raimi's SM1&2.

And then get the Rifftrax version of SM3 again.
>>
>>90579718
Because Ultimate Spider-man is the modern perception of Spider-man.
>>
>>90580023
I can't relate to Peter much at all, but he's always been my favourite superhero, and I hate that Marvel won't let any good developments stick.
>>
Ulitmate Peter in High School influenced alot of things that have come after the same way Ultimates and its heavy SHIELD usage influenced the Avenger side of things.
>>
>>90579718
>history
>>90580369
>comic
Do you see the problem here OP? Nobody actually reads or cares about history or comics. They just know things that they know

Why do you think there was even an organic vs webshooters debate for so many years?

>>90584645
>they abandoned all other teen heroes like the Runaways.
I thought Runaways was still happening?
>>
>>90584469
It helps that Holland is around 20/21 at this point, putting him as close to a "senior in high school" in terms of age as he can be without actually being one. No way they'll milk high school for more than this and maybe part of the next one.
>>90584616
And that's only the opening 10ish minutes, really. He's only truly been in high school without being on the verge of graduating for one movie (ASM).
>>
>>90579718
because he ALWAYS STARTED in highschool and the movies keep RE-STARTING

It makes not sense to suddenly introduce an adult spiderman with a long history into the movies without any context or interaction

if nothing else, if there was an adult spiderman, why would we have never heard of him before?

plus his movies have always been popular with the teen demographic, so that gets played up
>>
>>90579718
Kids like it. I liked it in the Raimi movies when I was a kid.

But fuck, they should let him grow and develop in the comics and let it stick since everybody knows kids don't fucking touch comics these days, leave him as a teen in the cartoons and movies if that's what's necessary.
>>
>>90579718
>Why is Marvel so obsessed with teen Spiderman?

Because it gives a different view point from all the other adult superheroes. This isn't hard to figure out.

Also
>Spiderman

There is a hyphen, dingus. Try to be less casual.
>>
>>90579718

Most mainstream adaptions depict him as a kid, therefore, most producers want to go with the depiction audiences are most comfortable with. It's a shame, because Pete's adulthood is far more interesting than his childhood. Married Spider-man is best Spider-man.
>>
>>90584709
>one of these days I have to rewatch Raimi's SM1&2.

All you'll see is that they aged horribly and are no where near as good as so many people act like.
>>
>>90584794
>I thought Runaways was still happening?

It is. Its going to be a Hulu webseries. They just finished filming the pilot. >>90584645 is just a slowpoking dumbass.
>>
>>90585181
Yeah, I've never gotten the obsession with high school Peter. People often scream "muh relatability!" but him growing up is much more relatable than him being in a perpetual state of being seventeen years old.
>>
>>90579718
I think comic franchises tend to be best known for their original status quo. Partly because that's where most adaptations start, and partly because people usually start reading from the beginning and break off later. (That was the whole point of Ultimate Spider-Man, to let readers read the story from the beginning but with modern-style comic storytelling.)

So even though Lee and Ditko took Peter out of high school pretty quickly, the stories people are most likely to have read have him in high school.

Hell, Batman was only a solo vigilante for a few months before Finger & co. added Robin, but a lot of adaptations and retellings start with those first few months where he was a solo vigilante. Even though the creators clearly thought that was a bad idea.
>>
stories should start at the beginning, not where they get interesting
>>
>>90585678
One exception is the Batman TV shows which didn't start at the beginning but picked up as if we were all supposed to know who he was already.

The '60s Batman creators only knew his origin and then read some then-recent comics (like the Riddler story that became the pilot). It didn't hurt any.

I think you could make a successful Spider-Man story where he's a young freelance photographer who's been doing this gig for a while. That's not going to happen any time soon though, alas.
>>
>>90585334
I'd rather have a Runaways film where the team actually gets popular than a watershed series on a service nobody uses so that people can cream themselves over the Quipping Spider-Man.
>>
>>90584616
The first 15 minutes of a movie hardly qualify as him being in highschool the entire time. We only see a bit of his graduation ceremony.

So that's like 1.7 movies.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.