[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is creativity in comics dead? I go to cons and hear writers cry

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

Is creativity in comics dead? I go to cons and hear writers cry about the industry collapsing yet their creativity seems bankrupt.

Back in the day they wanted girls to like Superman so they made a new character Supergirl.

Today they just take characters and swap out their gender or race instead of making a new hero which to me demonstrates how bankrupt they are creatively. Thus leading to their own demise by removing traditional characters with fan bases instead of growing character rosters creating new characters for us to drool over.
(Thor gets a pass since its about who wields the hammer. Also not talking about people who have daughters like Wolverine.)
>>
>>90526388
He's nothing like Peter. He carries none of his baggage. That's why he's a superior spiderman
>>
>>90526388
how is the industry collapsing comics are more well known since ever
>>
>>90526388
How in the fuck is Supergirl any different than what you're describing?
>>
>>90526429
She's white
>>
>>90526425
>how is the industry collapsing comics are more well known since ever
Thats great and all, but those people most of them for example who whine and complain online about muh diversity dont buy comics and never even read one.
>>
>>90526429
>How in the fuck is Supergirl any different than what you're describing?
OP here, My point is she isnt different they created a new character rather than turn superman into a teen girl. My topic is more about instead of creating new characters which to me made X-Men great they are just swapping out known characters instead of developing new ones.

I think this creates a lose-lose scenario, turns off traditionalists who follow a given hero, and creates a new one with an empty fan base that is nonexistant to replace it. I dont see the upside to that and feel its what contributes to comic stores closing all over and comics in general losing so much money lately.
>>
>>90526458
They haven't turned anyone into a teen girl. Legacy characters are with a few exceptions exactly the same now as they were 50 years ago. Occasionally they're given a ride as the main her for a few years (and admittedly Marvel has gone a bit overboard with that) and then the status quo reasserts itself.

Point is that of all the reasons why the comic industry could be collapsing, yours is the stupidest.
>>
>>90526499
As for why they're not making new characters, that's simple: The market is character oriented. You can't just put out a new character out there and expect him to sell. You need to build up a fanbase first. Which can be fucking hard at times.
>>
industry is collapsing (again) because of lack of respect for continuity. Everyone wants to make major character changes but then not learn how to run with them. They want the next shocker without finishing the first. They care about events over character development. The editors aren't doing their jobs, they're letting hacks like Bendis and Slott do whatever they want without caring about a well thought out follow-through or character history.
>>
>>90526388
Creativity in comics isn't dead. It's creativity in mainstream comics that's dead. There are literally hundreds of creative individuals with good ideas out there who haven't been noticed because they'd rather have the same 5 stale writers and artists cycle through their properties again and again.
And no, I'm not referring to myself as one of those yet-to-be-noticed creative individuals. There are tons of artists, writers, & friends that I follow who have a lot of good ideas that are leagues better than what the big two are pumping out these days.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.