[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Apparently, customers not picking up stuff in their folders

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 274
Thread images: 19

File: PackRat-600x800.jpg (102KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
PackRat-600x800.jpg
102KB, 600x800px
Apparently, customers not picking up stuff in their folders is killing the comic book industry. Packrat comics posted pic related online and it blew up a month or so ago

I don't have a pull list and I don't think I plan to. I go to my comic shops about every other week to check out used GNs and back issues to find something interesting.

Here is a video from one of my LCS talking about the subject. They seem pretty "high and mighty" about this whole thing.
>"We understand people fall on tough times. we get that. but come pick up your books! "
https://youtu.be/o9nr3X4xbTo?t=866

Are they right or wrong, /co/?
>Should people pick up the books in their folders even if its been 3 months?
>Should comic shops be allowed to cancel peoples subscriptions and cast their unbought books back out in the shop?
>>
>>90289359
I'm in the process of starting my business plan to open up a comic shop and the first thing I looked into was pull lists; and the fact that I probably wouldn't have it. Too many people, just like OP stated, have shit ordered and then never come and pick it up, or they have it ordered and it's just product that sits behind the counter for months, costing time, revenue, and space.

I figure, if I were to even allow pull lists, that it'd be done in a similar way to books or games or movies; ie, you have 48 hours to come pick it up or it'll be sold.
>>
>>90289359
Yes of course, if you're not going to pick them up at least call and cancel your pulls, the lcs should really cancel a pull after one month though, depending on the how the pull is set up
>>
I'm already killing the industry by waiting for trades.
>>
>>90289459
Why not make the customer pay before even making a pulllist?
>>
>>90289359
>we understand people fall on rough times
>but come pick up your books
But...That's why they're not picking up their books. They're broke.
>>
File: IMG_1261.jpg (78KB, 1200x648px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1261.jpg
78KB, 1200x648px
>>90289359
>buying floppies
>>
>>90289359
Of course they're right. Literally the only time where it's acceptable to not pick up your pull is when your subscription was shifted without your permission to a book you don't want after the previous one got cancelled.

If you can't afford to pay for the books in your pull-list then you should have been responsible and not set up a pull list that you weren't sure you could afford. If other conditions like car problems or having to move or being stuck out of town for an extended period of time restricts you from being able to pick up your pull then you should just call your LCS and give them a heads up so they can account for it.
>>
>>90289459

what are you going to name the shop?

Need any help with names from us?
>>
>>90289359
Are comic shops stupid? Just make the people pay in advance to reserve shit, like every other kind of shop
>>
>>90289493
Thought about that as well. However, as we know, the majority of people who buy comics are actually pretty fucking poor. But the idea of pre-ordering crossed my mind.

>>90289501
>They're broke
Then why the fuck you ordering shit you can't pay for if you're broke?
>>
>>90289359

On the other hand, maybe if retailers didn't hand Diamond a monopoly in distribution, we would have seen better days in the comic book industry.

I'm not even gonna mention the faggotry of big 2 in the matter.

As a customer, I can assure you that we're the worst treated party here, and by far.
>>
>>90289532
>Are comic shops stupid?
Yes. The fact that they opened a comic shop should be indication enough
>>
>>90289459
For the love of God, do not open up a comic/nerd apparel store.
What the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
My LCS makes you pay in advance for anything on your pull list or any special order
>>
>>90289602

yeah, open up a comic/nerd apparel boutique!
>>
>>90289359

Well, to be fair my shitty LCS would always try to sneak things in.

If I specifically got a series with Character X, she would add every appearance of Character X. Also, she would randomly just throw in things out of the blue and forget things that had been on my list for months.

Yea, I stopped going there. One to many times of having to deal with her stupid middle school kid working the register while she cooked dinner in the back room.
>>
File: 1459312098409.jpg (344KB, 900x584px) Image search: [Google]
1459312098409.jpg
344KB, 900x584px
>>90289485
unless the person is a loyal customer/know on a deeper level, they should cancel their stuff after id say 3 months.

Customers should also communicate with the shops
>"Hey im going out of state for a few months. hold my stuff please"
>"Hey i dont have a car anymore so i cant come as frequently as i did. im going to try to make it as much as i can but ill keep you posted. thanks"
>"Hey situation X happened and comics arent as big of a priority as they were. You can cancel everything except for Y and Z. I really love those series"

>>90289492
I am too. I buy keys and first issues, but I wait for trades. I like to think im counteracting this by going in every other week and spending cash on back issues/random whatever though

>>90289493
>pays in advance for a book
>book ends up sucking
>cant return the books because the money is already spent
>>
File: fwshcp.jpg (962KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
fwshcp.jpg
962KB, 1600x1600px
>>90289359
I go once a month every single month and when something I'm reading ends I'm always sure to add another book to my list
I don't know how it's so hard for some people, I see other people's bags and they're fucking stuffed as if they haven't been picked up in several months
>>
>>90289602
I wouldn't dream of ever selling "nerd" apparel. And most comic shops blow dick, especially in my state, because they refuse to deal in trades because "comics our collectors items!!!". That and they have a bunch of idiots polluting the store with Magic and other turn-based card games that literally spend no money there or other nerd board games.

>>90289634
I like the way you think!
>>
It's pointless to blame the customer. People aren't going to stop doing it just because you made an article on the internet.

If you have a service that allows people to screw you, you either deal with the drawbacks, or you change the service.
>>
>>90289671
>try to sneak things in
Yeah fuck that place, it's one thing to suggest title you might want to try out it's another to just throw them in and expect your to pay for them
>>
>>90289602
Maybe hes a rich entrepreneur with money to burn
>>
>>90289536
>I know you don't have any money because you lost your job.
>Buy your pulls.
kek
>>
>>90289359
Don't order without cash up front. Simple and easy.
>>
>>90289703
So you're going to be a 100% comic shop? That's an even worse idea.
>>
>>90289492
At least more and more creators understand this approach, hell I've seen some comics people admit to being trade waiters themselves.

When you attack the trade waiters for not being real fans you just come off as the shitty old man, like Peter David
>>
>>90289755
Might as well just save the time and burn it on a back porch now.
>>
>>90289359
What kind of retarded owner allows you to have a pull list without taking a credit card number or requiring cash in advance? That is entirely their fault not the consumers.
>>
>>90289512
>>90289574

This.
Why on earth should customers support LCS and the companies after being fucked for so many years? What's in it for us?

I mean floppies in the format sold today are a total steal. There is a threshold indicating if a product is worth being in the market, and floppies have way exceeded this.

If floppies were a burger, it would be a saver menu macdonalds burger wrapped in newspaper, but instead of lettuce and condiments it would have adds, but it costs like a meal in a restaurant.
>>
>>90289760
And? Either buy your pulls or don't have a list. It's that simple. And if you lose your job, call and inform them, much like you would have to do with your credit card company or whoever holds your autoloan.

>>90289780
Comics and manga, with a local retail front to put both the shitty stores in my area out of business and then an online presence as well.
>>
>>90289694
If you're not sure you're gonna like the book before buying it, don't put it on your pull list before you are. Very simple thing anyone with an IQ in triple digits would do.
>>
>>90289860
>comparing a "please make sure you have a copy for me because I may want to buy this but can't come on ship day" to actual loans held by your bank
You're a fucking retard. If they're not charging you or hold a CC# for your pulls list, it's merely a courtesy to do the pulls. You are under no obligation to actually buy them. You might be an asshole, but you're not breaking any rules.

An auto loan? They come and take your car if you don't pay that shit. What is a comic shop gonna repo for not buying your pulls?
>>
>>90289850
>it would have adds
Are Marvel and DC the only publishers that put adds throughout the story? IDW, Dark Horse, and Image throw them all in the back
>>
>>90289958
Doesn't matter, you're still buying ads.
>>
>>90289860
>Comics and manga
So you want to die? You need MTG or else you are gone within a month.
>>
>>90289958
>buy trades
>hey this book is pretty thick for a 4 issue miniseries..
>end of the book is "HEY HEY HERE IS THE FIRST APPEARANCE OF THE CHARACTER YOU JUST READ ABOUT AND HERE ARE SOME ADS FOR SOME MORE BOOKS YOU MAY LIKE FROM THIS COMIC PUBLISHER
>>
>>90289359
There's one guy who I see at my LCS every Wednesday who spends about an hour talking to the clerk. He hasn't picked up his pull for several months because of not being able to afford it. He's asked them to stop putting new releases of the comics he was following in, although he's still planning on buying what is already in it. Sometimes he'll get a couple of the books when he can afford three or four of them, but most weeks he leaves empty-handed.
>>
>>90290015
Funny enough, my local shop over the last 10 years has gradually changed from a comics/hobby shop into almost exclusively an MTG shop. Doesn't even display floppies anymore(you can still buy them though).
>>
>>90289703
Anon, most LCSs make over half of their profits on Magic cards.
>>
>>90290059
Did they really get that bad? I think the only modern marvel trades I have are Epic collections that those only devote the inside front and back cover for adds for other titles in the Epic format
>>
I have only one thing to say when companies and retailers bitch.

GET WITH THE TIMES

It's not the customer's duty to save your shitty industry.
>>
>>90289493
Because then people would stop going to your shop and go to the one that has a "free" pull list.
Unless you're literally the only comic book shop in a 50 mile radius. You're pretty much shooting yourself in the food.
>>
>>90289359
They're totally complicit. Hard times aside, I bet a third of that stack is full of shit they pressured people into adding.
I've also been pressured to not close out a pull or cancel titles. Fuck the LCS. Fuck floppies.
>>
>>90289459

People are mostly lazy about getting things like this. I work at a retail store and we order free socks that are $25 on a costumer appreciate night. That was in November, that last person to pick their FREE socks up was a week ago...
>>
>>90290142
Bullshit, if you're a good retailer with a nice clean shop and friendly clerks that goes a long way in the LCS game.
>>
>>90289695
How many titles do you pull? Some people just have enough books that in a month they can pull over 50 issues.
>>
just make them pay half price for the reservation and put a one week delay to pick up before selling it with the normal copies
>>
>>90290080
That happens to a lot of them, because cards are more profitable, you can't just download cards off the internet, and middle school and high school kids love to spend their parents' money on loads of cards.
>>
>>90289694
>book ends up sucking
irelevant. It's the same if you ordered the comic without paying first.
>>
>>90289694
Three months is way too long to be holding and ordering pulls with no communication whatsoever
>>
>>90290179
There isn't a 'long way' to go, anon. It the catfish of shops.
>>
>>90290190
Jesus that's a lot. Not that anon but I'm at about a dozen and feeling like I have way too many.
>>
>>90290212
>you can't just download cards off the internet
Blizzard says otherwise, Hearthstone got huge for a digital card game. In 2015 they were making $20 million a month selling digital booster packs
>>
>>90289958
Dynamite has like one two-page ad for an upcoming book in the middle of issues.
>>90290059
You think that's bad? Action Lab/Danger Zone trades have a half dozen pages of ads BETWEEN EACH INDIVIDUAL ISSUE.
>>
>>90290240
And you'd rather catch the 600 lb healthy catfish or an underweight mutated one?
>>
>>90290265
I meant you can't pirate cards, you have to purchase them. I mean, unless you raid a truck of cards or beat the shit out of some kids and steal them.
>>
>>90290197
You can't get people to overstuff their lists if they have to pay up front.
They do it the way they do it for a reason.
>>
>>90290233
youre right. i just said 3 months because thats what the Packrat picture said. 3 weeks?
>>
>>90290265
Other than that Chinese bootleg, Hearthstone is purely digital. You can't sell and resell Hearthstone singles through an LGS.
>>
>>90290313
No, I'll just order from Amazon, thanks.
>>
>>90289359
The LCS owner from Eltingville was right
>>
>>90289359
>Should people pick up the books in their folders even if its been 3 months?
either that or tell the store to stop holding those issues so they can be put up for buying.
>Should comic shops be allowed to cancel peoples subscriptions and cast their unbought books back out in the shop?
yes. my opinion is if you don't pick up your books after a month, lcs should have full right to put them on sale for the store. unless you call the store ahead of time and explain why it's been so delayed.
>>
>>90290246
I have 35, including upcoming books that I've already asked to be added, and I feel like I should be reading more. Although 5 of those are minis, another 5 are ending soon, and I'm considering dropping three of them.
>>
>>90290179
You mean the other nice clean shop with friendly clerks, and not "We don't trust you, so we're charging you now for your pull list" shop?
>>
File: 1398256016682.jpg (2MB, 1561x1801px) Image search: [Google]
1398256016682.jpg
2MB, 1561x1801px
>>90289459

- No checks
- No credit cards
- No special orders
- No arguments
- No problems
>>
>>90289919
And that's why pull lists are a mistake; having a bunch of customers saying "yeah, i want that book; order me a copy and I'll buy it" and then doing said thing for customer and 10 months later they roll in to buy said book is just shitty and shouldn't be allowed. Now if you have a stipulation, like, "all pull books must be bought within the week of their arrival or else they will be sold", people will most likely show up and pick up there shit. The game industry figured this shit out with pre-orders.

>>90290153
I've worked retail as well; we usually gave customers 2 weeks to pick items they ordered in or 3 days with in-store holds. If they weren't picked up, they either went into the store stock or were sent back to the distributor.

>>90290418
It's business 101; you can't just blindly order in copies of something hoping it'll sell based on someones word.
>>
>>90290489
Real business 101
You don't make things less convenient for customers and expect them not to go to more convenient competition
Quit pulling shit out of your ass. it makes you look stupid
>>
>>90290482
There was a guy like that in my city, actually, and he went out of business just a few months ago.
>>
>>90290318

I'd read a comic about nerdy teenagers having gang wars over cards
>>
>>90289919
What? You're retarded. Don't pull if you're not going to buy. Inform them if you won't be able to buy it. Simple.

Not that they aren't at fault since they should be getting paid in advance or getting some credit card information beforehand. A service like this is absolutely retarded if it's costing you thousands of dollars.
>>
File: 1357544224727.jpg (16KB, 286x290px) Image search: [Google]
1357544224727.jpg
16KB, 286x290px
>>90290482
that guy is a jerk
but i think he is right
>>
>>90289816
Every LCS I've ever had a pull list at doesn't require payment up front, or a credit card. My current one doesn't even for special orders.

I pick up my books monthly, but I have seen people with pull lists backed up enough to fill a short box. I don't know how they can let it get that bad, but I also know that my LCS makes way more from games/cards/collectibles/toys/trades than they do on floppies.
>>
>>90290482
The bit about throwing a fit over keeping track of what a customer has purchased doesn't make sense. That's what a business does.
>>
>>90289703
now other people are shitting on you, but depending on where you are, if trades really are a niche that hasn't been filled, you could probably carve out a nice little business
>>
>>90290190
>>90290246
I have about 50 pulls a month
I'm rich and around $150 a month is w/e
worst thing is all the space they take up, considering putting whole runs up on ebay
>>
>>90289493
>>90289532
>>90289629
>>90289766
These are the solution. Its sustainable.

>>90290352
Sounds a lot like how the housing market crash happened. Not the way to run your business.
>>
>>90289359
Make people pay in advance for whatever is on their pull list. Problem solved.
>>
>>90290543
>Please, keep fucking me over as I cater to your every whim, so you won't go somewhere else, even though you are still most likely going somewhere else.
>>
File: berri.png (160KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
berri.png
160KB, 400x300px
>>90290482
>NO CHANGE
>>
>>90290566
That's the joke.
>>
>>90290583
the comic shop in the youtube link above is the only store in the area that has used GNs. one of the only reasons I still keep going there
>>
>>90290555
You're missing the point completely. The comic shop has no recourse for courtesy pulls and a customer not buying them. The proposed purchaser can be an asshole with no consequences by never informing the store owner. But you tried to compare it to a loan, which is not the same thing at all. A loan is something you pay back on with interest for receiving it now. The two are not comparable even in the slightest.
>>
>>90289860
>with a local retail front to put both the shitty stores in my area out of business

What the heck is this underhanded crap? You don't have to be an unscrupulous jerk, you know. With a bit of respect and willingness to work together, you can all mutually benefit.
>>
>>90290638
my LCS is the only place in my fairly sizable city that stocks all trades on release day and they recently opened a second location in one of the hottest new locations in the city
>>
>>90289703
>That and they have a bunch of idiots polluting the store with Magic and other turn-based card games that literally spend no money there
You clearly have never spent more than twenty minutes in a comic shop while there were magicfags playing
>>
>>90290603
Selling print media in realspace is no way to run a buisiness, anon.
>>
File: fam.jpg (7KB, 110x213px) Image search: [Google]
fam.jpg
7KB, 110x213px
>>90290670
this guy gets it
>"Hey, we actually dont sell X. ya know who does? Anon's comic shop. I go there from time to time. Nice guy. They dont have a great selection of Y though, which we have a lot of. im not sure if youre looking for Y, but yeah. Anon's shop has good X"
everyone wins
>>
>>90290353
My LCS has customers put down how often they plan to pick up pulls.

Weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly. If it was my shop and I didn't see or hear from a customer in a month after their pull day I'd just cancel the list and throw the books back on the shelves
>>
>>90290696
do you live in New Orleans? that sounds like one of my shops
>>
I could either spend 5 bucks on a floppy from a lcs, or spend $8-$10 buying a trade online.
>>
>>90290785
San Diego
>>
>>90289459
Save your money and start a business that isn't currently dying. You may as well open a video rental store.
>>
File: [AHHHHHHHH].jpg (60KB, 313x559px) Image search: [Google]
[AHHHHHHHH].jpg
60KB, 313x559px
>>90290378
>buying trades on Amazon
>>
People should have a credit card on file that will be charged if they don't come in and get their stuff. Retailers usually order exactly how many they think will sell and get stuck with product they can't move.
Either that or publishers should buy back unsold books. The way distribution works in this industry is all kinds of fucked up.
I have a small pull list, try to go in every 2-3 weeks to pick stuff up.
>>
>>90290190
holy shit you know that never crossed my mind that people pull a fuckton of books
I only pull 10 issues since I only go for things that REALLY interest me
anything else I just wait for trades
>>
>>90290670
They're both already on their last legs because of poor business choices and no real selection. One of the said shops keeps anything you'd want to browse in long boxes, buried under long boxes, stashed behind long boxes, and actually has no bays to actually browse said products, without tearing apart their store of long boxes. The other LCS currently is shifting towards catering to Magic players, only, and their shelves are empty and the few bays they have are stark.
>>
>>90290378
Agreed, but if you're gonna be buying floppies as the analogies say, you know I'm right
>>
>>90290831
I do this too
floppies from the shop, trades from Amazon
the price difference is simply too great for me to buy trades at my LCS
>>
I have a pull list, but only because it gets me 10% off on all purchases at my local shop
>>
>>90290152
My LCS adds related series on to my pull list which is pretty annoying. Like I was reading Black Panther and they added World of Wakanda without asking me or anything. I get that it's a good way to introduce people to stuff, but most of the time I take it right off.
>>
>>90290641
I was not that anon, thus no comment on the auto loan shit.
>>
>>90290938
too bad Amazon's packaging is actual garbage and ends up damaging your books 80% of the time
>>
>>90290776
Mine gets your email and phone number when you start a pull. If you don't pick up your books for a longer than usual time they first email, and then call if they still can't contact you.
>>
>>90290996
That's probably the best way to go about it
>>
What kind of dumb business plan is there to order something and not take the money up front for the order?
>>
>>90290986
I've ordered 11 trades from Amazon so far and not one has come in damaged yet
knock on wood I guess
>>
File: image.jpg (245KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
245KB, 960x720px
>>90290831
I only said Amazon as an example. In reality, I only buy from IST, and I only buy omnis.
>>
>>90290619
You literally contradicted yourself by trying to mock my point
>>
>>90289359
Only time I order a comic at my lcs is if I hear a comic is good and he is sold out of issue 1
>>
>>90290986
I've yet to receive a damaged book by Amazon.
>>
>>90289359
people have to be told this?

this must be why my comic book guy loves me. i show up after the last wednesday of the month buy everything in my box clearing it out.
and i f god forbid i get behind i literally apologize profusely every time i come in buying more than my monthly amount till i get caught up.
>>
>>90290142
Not my food! That's for eating!
>>
>>90291054
>>90291144
the problem inevitably is the corners of things with amazon. their boxes dont come in alot of sizes, and their policy is "if they complain, they return and we ship another" rather than "pack the item good enough, that it cannot be damaged"

iv had large hardcovers shipped with a novel, packed in a box with only two bubble mailers, no bubble wrap. it came fine, even with the box far far too big
iv also had shit absolutely fucked in much more accurate sized box, and more packing, just because they didnt pack it right

its all hit or miss
>>
>>90291129
But your point is kinda retarded to begin with; I love Asian food but that doesn't mean I only eat at only one Asian food place in town, no matter how nice the people working there are.
>>
Frankly I'm amazed single issue comics printed on actual paper and sold in retail stores still isn't dead medium yet.

It will be soon though, once the capeshit movie fad is over and Disney realises Marvel's actual comics division is never going to make them the kind of money they expect from their subsidiaries.
>why are we spending so much money printing these comics people aren't buying?
>what do you mean you're sending out product FREE?
>>
>>90289359
Simple solution.

You pay me for it, THEN I order it.
>>
>>90290142
LOL no.

A SMALL percent of people pre order. Those that are actually going to pick up books wont have a problem putting a CC on file. Those that weren't going to pick them up will leave, but who cares.
Shitty businesses always make decisions based on what they THINK will cause customers to leave instead of how to protect themselves and gain new business. Your excuse is the excuse of a bad business owner.
>source
I have owned 3 businesses, two pretty successful.
>>
>>90291259
the owner of Marvel is literally the third-highest Disney shareholder, there's not a lot they can do
>>
>>90290831
You ist/cgn fags realize that outside of sales it's the cheapest
>b-bbut the books get damaged
If you care about bent corners on your funnybooks you should kill yourself (or not just don't chastise other people for not caring)
>>
>>90290142
>and go to the one that has a "free" pull list.
And then those shops start failing after their bubble pops.
>>
>>90291221
all been hits for me, maybe because I don't order that often, maybe only 1 or 2 trades a month
>>
>>90291259
I work at B&N and we sell a shit ton of trades, special editions, and even floppies in the magazine section, plus we have collectibles and funkos. I mean, we're practically a better comic shop than most comic shops.
>>
>>90289459
Opening a comic shop is death bro. It's a SMALL market. It's got LOW margins. It needs decent sq ft so overhead is high. Inventory is high. I've owned a few businesses. I looked into comics and it's super high risk. I would only do it if I had millions to invest to keep it afloat for the first few years. And use that money to make it the coolest one I could.
>>
>>90291302
IST is 42% minimum, Amazoom is usually around 30%
>>
>>90291231
Food is so much different than comics.
The food at one shop can and will be different from shop to shop.
With comics, your comics are the same no matter which comic shop you go to
>>
>>90291277
You'll have to forgive me for not believing you
>>
>>90291305
Bubble popped in the 90s kiddo
>>
>Apparently, customers not picking up stuff in their folders is killing the comic book industry.

this is a million times more of an issue than anything /co/ bitches about
>>
>>90291343
I've bought a few books and graphic novels from BnN. It's a nice selection by my house. An indy shop just opened up so I try to support them, but the selection is lacking. BnN just needs better prices on statues and figures.
>>
>>90291419
>issue
Well played, anon.
>>
>>90289536
>Then why the fuck you ordering shit you can't pay for if you're broke?

Admitting to poverty is the opposite of the American Dream: living on credit and lying to yourself is the next best thing to living the dream.
>>
>>90291380
Sorry man. But 4 chan has been around for a while. I'm 31 now, and anyone who owns a SUCCESSFUL business will tell you that you can't constantly be catering to the smallest percent of clients, that also happen to be losing you money.
>>
>>90291221
the one time I bought off amazon the spines were all damaged, so amazon just resent the books again for free (although they were all trade paperbacks, I don't know how they'd respond to omni's or hardcovers)

I still never bought off them again though
>>
>>90291277
I love my LCS, free boxes but only after you are a regular. They get your email and phone number to contact you. But due to a bad experiences I had at another LCS when I was in Jr High I would never give any LCS my CC# to hold a box.
>>
>>90291343
the problem with BnN is there's no consistency between stores about what they stock. Like there's one that's like 30 minutes from my house that stocks freakin' everything, but the one closer to me stocks maybe half of what the other store does

my hierarchy of buying shit goes:
>I need it RIGHT NOW and it's mainstream: BnN
>I need it RIGHT NOW and it's more obscure: LCS
>I can wait a bit and it's a hardcover: Amazon
>I can wait a bit and it's a trade or I'm ordering a lot: IST
>>
>>90289459

Good luck not closing down in a month faggot. Comic nerds are lazy as fuck. Why do you think this is the most unproductive board on the site?
>>
>>90291358
I check every time I buy and Amazon is almost always cheaper, especially after shipping.
>>
>>90291548
HAHA
>>
>>90291548
/po/ still exists
>>
>>90291305
>implying we aren't post bubble
WEW
>>
>>90289501

When money got tight for me one of the first tings I did was cancel my pull because my LCS are good guys and I didn't want to fuck them over. I came back and bought the trades for everything I had to cancel
>>
>>90291568
IST comes out way ahead on larger orders. Although Amazon does generally have a larger stock
>>
>>90291609
Their hypothetical new customers that don't pay their bills are the bubble you moron. And I'm not even that anon.
>>
>>90291259
You are a fucking mongoloid, the books are sold to diamond, then diamond sells to the retailers.
Stop pretending you know anything about how the industry looks and while you're at it consider suicide.
>>
>>90291574

/po/ is literally more productive than us since it's an active hobby. /co/ just reads comics (sometimes) and has a few drawfags . /tv/ is getting porn made, /v/ has a "musical" and as much as I hate them /pol/ actually sets out to achieve their goals
>>
>>90289850
>>90289958
Publishing as a whole has rarely been able to survive without ads. Even prose fiction will commonly plug - at the very least - the author's other works with the same publisher.

Newsprint and online is the same way. 4chan is serving ads right now to cover hosting costs.

If that's what bothers you about comics and you want it to stop - OK, but they'll cost 3x as much.

> wrapped in newspaper

Newsprint has a resale value since recycling became the norm - that's not going away now that paper as a whole is on the way out.

It'll be wrapped in food-grade wax paper just like everything else, because the wax means you can leave it on the warming rack longer and still sell it at the same price. Dumping wax paper would be a false economy, same as dumping ads for publishing. Also, newsprint is carcinogenic. You'd get class actioned out of existence.

>but it costs like a meal in a restaurant.

Are we talking fine dining? Because fast-food burgers may be cheaper than a single course in most real restaurants but what you're paying for there isn't presentation or even - usually - ingredients, it's service and sit-down. The bigger the space and meal the more you need to cover their rent, so the cost goes up (up to a point - a huge place actually starts getting a price break if it can cram enough people in or get them fed and out the door fast enough). One way eg. burger chains do this is by not having cutlery or china, which means no dishwashers, which means etc etc etc

>>90289911
This. If you're not prepared to risk your own funds on an item, don't order it.
>>
>>90289459
Charge the money before ordering the books, it's common practice here in Germany.
>>
>>90289359
maybe people would pick up their pulls if the comics themselves didn't suck. the problem isn't the consumer not buying shit comics. its the companies making shitty comics people don't want to buy.
>>
>>90291783
>4chan is serving ads right now to line Hiro's pockets
FTFY
>>
>>90291783

>Publishing as a whole has rarely been able to survive without ads. Even prose fiction will commonly plug - at the very least - the author's other works with the same publisher.

I swear Stephen King is paid off to include Coke in his books. He mentions that shit all the time
>>
>>90291829
then they shouldn't put them on their lists and should drop books when they get bad
really simple stuff here
>>
>picking up disposable pieces of paper

I only do that if there's no feasible way to get a digital copy.
>>
>>90291635
No retard a financial bubble is when you're making money and then you suddenly stop, here they're not making money at all.
>>
>>90291495
That's based on the assumption that the majority of people who has pull lists aren't coming.
>>
>>90291896
Steven King is the last author who needs plug money
>>
>>90289359
>>Should comic shops be allowed to cancel peoples subscriptions and cast their unbought books back out in the shop?

Of course they should. If they don't show up for months then they can fuck off. These people aren't your friends. They're trying to run a business. I know the guys at my LCS call you and ask if you're going to pick your shit up and then they put it back out if you don't come and get it in a few days
>>
>>90291919
A influx of customers is a bubble stupid. A bubble is any artificial or unsustainable growth. (used to refer to a good or fortunate situation that is isolated from reality or unlikely to last.)Take a fucking business class mong.
>own a comic shop
>suddenly 200 new customers come in and set up pull lists
>spend thousands of $ I never spent before to cover this BUBBLE of customers (I don't know it's a bubble yet)
>they never come back or pay
>the CUSTOMER bubble popped and now I'm here with hundreds of comics and a dick in my hand.
>>
>>90291951
No, it's based on the idea that asking for a CC on file will scare away customers. It will only scare away customers that didn't have money in the first place. And on top of that, the number of comic book shoppers that do pull lists is minimal compared to total customers.
>>
>>90289532
>Just make the people pay in advance to reserve shit

This can't work and it's Marvels fault. If comics stayed at a flat rate then there would be no problem. You could figure out how much all your books are and set up an automatic payment month to month. To bad Marvel likes to throw out random $5.99 and fucking $9.99 books whenever they feel like it
>>
>>90291956

But he's a popular author and it's only a few words. Seems like easy money
>>
>>90289359
When are we just going to accept that the traditional LCS business model just doesn't work and move on?
Stores that diversify do fine. It's not the consumer's fault that owners insist on a business model that hasn't been viable in decades.
>>
File: 1487610125991.png (745KB, 798x468px) Image search: [Google]
1487610125991.png
745KB, 798x468px
>>90289359
The true killer of the comic book industry is single floppy comics.
>>
>>90292073
You would allow returns as long as they picked them up within X amount of days. So basically, when they pick up and see that shit, you refund that money. The money up front is to assure those people actually come in and pick up the books that the store fronted the cash for.
>>
>>90292057
I spend $200 a month at my LCS and wouldn't want them to have my credit card number. It's a seedy neighborhood.
>>
>>90291829
This guy, >>90291903, is right. Just letting your pull get backed up does nothing to send the message with your wallet, because Diamond still counts them as sales. In the end, the only people you're screwing by letting ordered books sit around in your file is your LCS, not the publishers or creative teams.
>>
>>90292057
We're not talking about customers who don't have pull lists. So I don't know why you're bringing them up.
And your assumption that most customers will be ok with being inconvenienced is a bold assumption.
>>
>>90289459
My shop does 2 weeks.
>>
>>90292138
Again, businesses fail when they cater to the minority. Lets say you lose even a major amount of 50% of your pull customers because of a mandatory CC (this much would be absurd). But pull list customer make up say 25% of your business. That a loss of 12% of customers.
BUT lets say 10% of those fucks never pick up their books (of the 25%), or rarely do in the first place. That means you lose 2% of PAYING customers. Those 2% won't spend more than what you spent on the 10% that weren't picking up shit in the first place.
>>
Comic book shop employee here, from the UK.

I clear out people's pull lists every month or so, and you'll regularly get 4-5 customers who have a bunch of stuff that hasn't been picked up. If they haven't picked up at least 3 issues of a series, they'll get cancelled.

We often tell new customers that we're pretty strict with their standing orders, but we'll be happy to hold onto stuff if we're contacted in advance. We get lucky sometimes, and some of our loyal customers I've even befriended and absolutely love having in.

You just gotta be careful with who sets up pull lists. We get some customers who get suckered in by Deadpool or DC Rebirth, and others who end up adding more to their order before even purchasing the rest of the stuff.

Whilst the customer has a responsibility to pick up their order, employees have gotta be on it themselves. Some of the guys I work with aren't really on top of the orders, but it helps if they're cleared regularly, then any names that have been cancelled are blacklisted.

In all honesty, we're not hurt too badly by pull lists. Floppies are eclipsed by the sheer number of graphic novels we sell. Also, if someone sets up a pull list - they get 10% off their floppies and graphic novels.

I wouldn't say it's 'killing the industry' at all, either. Image gets a huge amount of customers for us, as do Marvel events and DC. You get some loyal customers who are over 40 or 50 years of age as well, and they'll often buy a truckload of Marvel or DC. Even if they're not about, titles like The Walking Dead or Saga pull new young customers in.
>>
>>90292141
Because pull list customer aren't the only place they make income moron. So who cares if you piss off a small portion of customers that cost you thousands in $$. And what inconvenience? That you pay for what you order? You're going to pay for it anyways. Pay cash before you order. Whatever. The comic shop shouldn't be on the hook for poor people who take advantage.
>>
>>90291231
No, that's pretty much why comic shops started to die off in the early 90s. Lots of new shops were opening up and dividing customers with established shops, so they both ended up dying. Multiple comic shops in close proximity have a really hard time co-existing unless they offer different niches.

Or if the city is just big enough to have a sizable Magic the Gathering playerbase who don't want to drive to the other side of town.
>>
>>90292313
edit 5-7% not 2%
>>
>>90292389
One shop in town is down South, which are poor/low income whites. The other shop is West, but not far enough west, so it's poor whites, blacks, hispanics, etc. My shop will be on my side of town, North East, where it's nothing but rich whites (upper middle class, upper class, etc). Unfortunately, this would put me in somewhat direct competition with the local Barnes and Noble, somewhat.
>>
I know comic store closing down problem is caused a lot by owners themselves by having emotional intelligence of 3rd graders
>>
>>90292364
And again. That's based off the assumption they're losing more money on pull lists than making.
If he's losing $450 a month on pull lists but making $900, then are you going to risk losing that $900?
And the convenience of not being charged for your pull list is you pay when you want.
If you wanna pay up front. Great. if you don't. w.e.
But if you force choice on a customer. You inconvenience them.
I doubt you actually own any businesses if you can't shit something like that.
>>
>>90292109
I see this posted a lot but why don't people buy anthology books instead?
>>
>>90292568
No one has ever lost 100% of customer for asking for a CC. That would be fucking insane.

Sorry you are shit at business. And if you are losing $450, but making $900 I would ABSOLUTELY shut that shit down. No wonder comic book shops fail left and right, you guys are morons. Charge customers for pull lists. If they like the shop, they will do it except a small amount. And fuck that small amount. Explain that too many people are not paying for books and all pull lists are to be accompanied by a Credit/Debit card or cash up front. MOST customers wouldn't mind. And faggots like you would be out of the owners hair. It's better to lose some customers and get rid of loss than cater to the minority.

Perfect example, at my shop we used to buy parts for customers to pay for when they came in. We spent thousands on things that never were picked up. Now, you have to pay up front and we'll call you. The only people who have a problem with that are assholes that weren't going to have the money anyways. We did $100k more in sales last year and we never get stuck with parts anymore.
Most businesses have the same method, because they learned that most people that have the money don't mind paying up front.
>>
>>90291259

It's retards like you who look at all the individual sales of titles form a publisher and think things are fucking awful. If you look at all the books sold as just one magazine then comics from DC sand Marvel sell decent numbers each month
>>
>>90292606
if you mean trades, they do, they're the biggest market

if you anthologies like manga, they don't exist
>>
>>90289359
If this happens so much that you are losing thousands wouldn't you just ask people to pay full up front
>>
People don't buy/pay their pre-orders for comics?
People may think pre-ordering video games are dumb, this is even dumber.
>Hi I would like 500 issues of Squirrel Girl at your store.
>No I'm not actually gonna pay or buy it, just have it ordered to your business.
>Can do, thanks valued customer.
That's like a local video game store going
>Hi I would like 500 copies of Superman 64 for the Nintendo 64
>No I'm not actually gonna pay or buy it, just have it ordered to your business.
>Can do, thanks valued customer.
>>
>>90292568
You don't force choice the customer as the customer already made a choice when they asked you to put it on the list.
>>
>>90292804
Don't even need to pay full.
Deposit however much the shop pays to get the comic so at worst, you've recouped your cost.
And any customer who've already invested money in the comic are 90% more likely to come pick it up later.
You could also give a small incentive to pay up front.
>>
>>90289459
>I'm in the process of starting my business plan to open up a comic shop
dude don't do it, it's suicide
>>
>>90289459

you assume anyone will want to buy it
>>
>>90292921
I would just say like 5-10% off pull list price if CC/Debit on file. Depending on my discount from the distributor.
>>
>>90292013
No, at best it's still a bubble because Diamond is still recording the sales.
>>
Trade is only way buying comics make sense desu
>>
>>90292764
I meant anthologies like HM or manga yeah. It seems like a good middle ground between content and price. If comics went straight to trades comic stores would go under because they couldn't compete with amazon.
>>
>>90292764
>they don't exist
Because every time they do they don't sell (Island and Legends of Tomorrow being the most recent ones). It's a viscous cycle.
>>
>>90292701
Was your business something that relied on regular customers who come in every single week?
>>
>>90293205
We rely on consistent customers, yes. Like almost every other business on earth. I used to own a small liquor store. After getting burned on special orders from customers, I required payment up front. And these people came in several times a week. Never a problem. If there was an issue with the product I would do a refund on the spot.
>>
>>90291896
Tossing in as much product placement as possible is a technique he uses to make the books seem more grounded or realistic. There' a whole scene in the stand that specifically uses Pepto Bismol and people fairly constantly sing jingles back and forth. Drawing of the Three doesn't just use penicillin, it specifically uses Keflex.
>>
>>90290769

When I moved to a new area the first comic shop I went to did this. I ended up never going back to his because the one he sent me to was way better
>>
>>90293148
>Trade is only way buying comics make sense desu
this. it makes more sense to read 10 issues at once instead of waiting a year to read it all spread out
>>
>>90292073
Nigga what, my pulls in Comixology self-adjust once there is a price change. This has only happened when Gotham Academy had a more expensive issue but still, it did. I got to the end of the month, I saw how much they charged me when I was paying the credit card and saw that they increased the price of the comic.

Now I can decide if I want to continue with my subscription.

It's not rocket science.
>>
>>90289359

I hate when people make pictures of themselves holding text. If you just want to post text, post text. I don't need to see a picture of someone standing next to it.
>>
>>90293148
trades are cheaper, but they're also shitty quality. Almost every trade I've gotten started falling apart after flipping a few pages. It's really hard to enjoy them when chunks of your book start falling out.
>>
>>90289602
How'd you get so bruised little babyman?
>>
>>90292873
That's not how a pull list works.

The direct market is all about pre-selling and LCSs order their stock from Diamond months in advance. They play the market and order what they think they can sell, both to people with lists and to walk ins who bay browse. Putting a book on a pull list guarantees that the LCS will have a copy set aside for you, barring short shipping, so you don't have to worry about tracking it down if they sell out of shelf stock.

It's more accurately a subscription service. No LCS, even the really stupid ones (of which there are many), will take a request like 500 copies of a single issue seriously. Not even hardcore speculators do that. At best they may pick up extra copies for the variants or one to read, one to "collect", but that's hardly the average person.
>>
>>90294243
what the fuck are you doing to your trades, folding over the front cover like a retard?
>>
>>90294201
images are a lot more shareable than text
>>
>>90289574
>maybe if retailers didn't hand Diamond a monopoly in distribution,

They didn't create that monopoly, Marvel did.
>>
>>90291080
whats that werewolf one?
>>
>>90294563
Werewolf by Night.
>>
File: 51kmONCnDIL.jpg (58KB, 337x500px) Image search: [Google]
51kmONCnDIL.jpg
58KB, 337x500px
>>90294563
>>
>>90294374
I'm very gentle with trades. They just have shitty glue. It's a common problem
>>
>>90290543
>Comic shops are a lucrative enough business they have actual local competition anywhere but mid to large cities

I don't think you understand how niche this stuff is.
>>
>>90290482
>No Alternative Comics

>Some shmuck RIGHT THERE with Tarot: Witch of The Black Rose
>>
shit this reminds me I should go pick up my comics tomorrow
>>
>>90294243
I have hundreds of trades and this has happened to about 2 of them and only after several reads. You are either super unlucky or you are doing it wrong
>>
File: fcafitm.jpg (93KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
fcafitm.jpg
93KB, 1366x768px
>>90291080
>mfw you just introduced me to IST and my cart is already at 98 dollars
what the fuck have you done to me?
>>
>>90292073
That's the joy of digital money. Charge a credit card. Also, you'd rather them be short 7 dollars and ask for that when they come in than the entire fucking cost of the books. You're a mental midget.
>>
>>90291613
Fair enough, I'm usually not buying more than one or two books
>>
>>90295450
IST's a helluva drug
>>
>>90294357

As much as it sucked when my old LCS closed shop the owner started doing direct ordering from Diamond and it was great. You knew exactly what you were getting, when you were getting it (usually...fucking Image...), and how much it was going to cost you that month (everything was money up front).

Only downside was buying the Diamond Previews book every month, $4.50 for a damned catalog you used once and then tossed in the recycling bin.
>>
>>90292057
When I had a pull list I was spending $400+ a month on comics. I picked them up every wed. I know the shop owner, he's a friend on Facebook. No way would I leave my CC info with them. What if that one week or month I couldn't afford but in a few days I could and I got over drafted cause they couldn't wait?
>>
>>90295821
An LCS I used to go to before the owner retired would give out copies of Previews for free to anyone that had even a moderately sized pull list. I kind of miss getting them, desu, but it's not worth buying for me.
>>
File: 1471116882558.jpg (32KB, 300x378px) Image search: [Google]
1471116882558.jpg
32KB, 300x378px
>Have a folder system in place
>To get a folder you need to put down a $15 deposit
>Make them pay like 50% upfront for anything that isn't trade
>Works on a three-strike system. If they fuck you over too many times then they can't place orders with you any more
>Won't be out of too much cash thanks to that $15 deposit
>If they come in most of the time and pay for the shit they've ordered, reward them with things like store credit and special deals to slowly compensate for the money they put down on their folder and then some
>Suddenly you aren't losing money by being an overly-trusting dipshit

That said, Packrat can go fuck itself for not manning up and taking initiative. After that first month they should have thrown the trades to the wolves to at least try and break even.
>>
>>90289359
who the fuck buys comics
>>
>>90296229
because you were dumb enough to leave a debit card on file?
>>
>>90290597
Taking your average at the higher end ($200, since the Diamond top 300 average price is closer to $4 than $3 and has been since forever), you spend around $2,400/year on floppies.

In 2016, the top 300 floppies market was worth $344,280,000, meaning if you represented the average buyer, there would be just 143,450 comic book readers left.

Assuming buyers like you represent 10% of the market, there are 14,345 of you spending about $34m annually between you.

Assuming that there is one person who buys every top 300 title every month, they spend about $1,200/month and $14,400/year and account for 0.004% of the market; there would need to be just 250 like them to account for 1% of the entire annual floppy market.

Assuming a remaining market of $306,409,200 and an average pull of >>90290885's 10/month, that's $40/month and $480/year or 638,353 (rounding up) readers -

For a total domestic (US/Canada) comic book readership across the entire market of about 652,948 individuals (which is worth about $5,876,532 in movie ticket sales, or $12,432,129.90 in BluRay Marvel movies or $15,670,752 in DC/WB BluRay movies as they're inexplicably $5 more expensive on average).

That's if there's only 250 White Landwhales left and if you and buyers like you are uncommon enough to account for a relatively minor % (you personally are worth around 0.0007% of the 2016 market) on top of theirs, there may be more - but make no mistake my friend, you're keeping stores going and when people like you go (and we all go in the end), stores close and the market contracts sharply (imagine 30 of you dying in one year, and all of you avid DC fans - that'd hurt DC, who'd lose a lot more than 0.021% of the income the market as a whole would lose).

tl;dr comics are fucked, and you're a symptom

enjoy it while it lasts and don't let the haters get you down
>>
>>90291896
>>90291956
>>90292103
Brand deals are smart, but it's possible he just really likes Coke or feels it adds a layer of reality to his work.
>>
>>90296229
>>90297021
See, this is what I'm talking about. $400+ a month, and you're worrying about whether you can afford it. That is a hell of a habit.

0.0014% of the top 300 market is you. 700 in your position would be almost 1% of the entire market.

It's incredible how few people read this shit. No wonder the complaints are vocal no matter what the publishers do - you can't possible hope to please an audience that spends that much and has so much emotionally invested in your fictions. One way or another, someone's gonna be pissed.
>>
>>90297037
>it's possible he just really likes Coke
I hear many rich people do.
>>
Who the fuck can afford to spend $500 a month on comics?
>>
>>90298503
People with no social life or other interests that cost money. It also saves a lot of money to not have a car.
>>
>>90298635
Or rich people
They exist, you know
>>
>>90293291
I've heard this theory, but I find it can have the opposite effect. I don't live in the US, so many of the products mentioned in American media are a mystery to me. For example, I don't know what Pepto Bismol or Keflex are - if I read about them somewhere it'd make more sense to me if the author just stated what kind of product it was. It was years after seeing Demolition Man that I found out that Taco Bell is an actual thing.
>>
>>90289459
>starting a comic store
Do you hate yourself or something?
>>
>>90289359
They're right. You faggots shouldn't order shit you can't afford.

That said, it's their own fault for adopting a shitty business model. How many stores offering other products let you make a wishlist that they buy for you with no expectation that you pay for your shit? Add to that the fact that the faggots who ordered said shit can sometimes come back months after it was dumped from their folder and pick it up from a discounted back issues box? It's a retarded business model.

Make people pay up front, then order the shit for them, just that simple. The poors who won't do so weren't going to pay for their pull list anyhow, they're mostly buying bargain bin. Get a fucking clue.
>>
>>90298503
I spend $100 between vidya and comics
>>
>>90291829
Why the fuck are you putting shit you don't want on a pull list you retard?
>>
>>90300956
Try not living in the third world
>>
>>90291080
you have those donald duck trades. i remember you anon from shelf threads
>>
File: 1329337705692.jpg (29KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1329337705692.jpg
29KB, 480x480px
>>90298080
>>
>>90289485
That's what we do at ours. We give people a heads up if they're not showing up after a month or so and if they STILL don't show up? Welp say good bye to your pull box.
>>
>>90302697
how does one get hired at the comic shop
>>
>>90293163

Island magazine, an anthology comic, just got cancelled at #15.

People don't buy them. They look at the price and see they're double the cost and don't care about the page length.
>>
>>90304127
The Dark Horse one are 2000 AD are the only ones I can think of.
>>
>>90289359
if you order something and not pick up it you're kind of an asshole.
>>
>>90304127
I just don't know why people are held hostage by the 2.99 or 3.99 for 22 pgs (sometimes with adds). It just seems like a worse deal. Island 1 was 7.99 for 109 pages. If you like batman or Justice League why not buy a book with at least 3 or more stories instead of spending 9 dollars for them piecemeal.
>>
>>90294714
The only book I have that does that is probably older than you.

Either you handle them wrong, or the store you buy them from does.

Do you live in hell? Is the temperature so high the glue melts?
>>
>>90302970
Luck.
>>
>>90289359

If they made a promise or have a history of doing something like touching base with subscribers (hey, come pick up your pull list) and the store follows their policy and additionally informs the customer - 'you get 30 more days' -- yes, they should put them out.

LCS's are small businesses. If the customers were subscribing from DC, Marvel or any other publisher or otherwise ordering digitals from Amazon, CMX or direct from the publishers, they'd have to pre-pay for their subscriptions or have to pay as you go and would not get their issues months and months on end. And those are companies that have much more wiggle room than your typical LCS.
>>
File: 1246736783854896.gif (1MB, 280x210px) Image search: [Google]
1246736783854896.gif
1MB, 280x210px
>>90289850
>food analogy
>>
My LCS has a rule that they'll only hold your pull for 7 days but they usually extend it if you're a regular. If you dont pick up your shit they cancel your membership and lose the right to reserve books.
>>
>>90304341
Not him but some Image trades I bought from 5 or so years ago are like that. I also live in Florida though so hot as balls.
>>
>>90289359
Op I work at a LCS. Let me tell you how it is.

>we stop pulling after 6 weeks, we ask you pick up your books at least once a month.

>very few people actually cancel, in fact, after the 6 weeks we call to see if everything is ok, 90% tell us to keep pulling, then never show.

>in the past year 3 guys have had $300+ amount of books and more in their bags, then never came back. We had called, they kept telling us to pull and already had large lists.

Whenever someone does call to cancel, its ALWAYS appreciated. Stops people from wasting their time and ours.
>>
>>90289359
Wait shouldn't you just charge people for orders when they make the order?
>>
File: No.png (41KB, 114x224px) Image search: [Google]
No.png
41KB, 114x224px
>>90289359
>The single biggest threat to your local comic shop
Is the simple fact that a small comics retailer is not a viable business model anymore.

It was always contentious thanks to distribution being cunts and the margins were always shit, most "comic book" stores were and are really just merch retailers that also happen to stock comics.

Between the availability of comics and comic merchandise outside your LCS, the low margins, the inability to return unsold stock, and the horrible reputation comic stores have it's insane to think you could run one these days and make real money.
>>
>>90289359
It depends on the situation. I had a box at my LCS before it shut down and picked up a good number of titles. At one point in the years I went there I ended up having surgery and couldn't pick up my books for like 2 months. I let the owners know what was up and that I'd be out for a while and they were very understanding. After recovering I was able to go buy all the books I missed in a few big batches.
>>
>>90306213
Yeah boss, I'm sure you know more than the guy actually running this as a business.
>>
File: MYGOD.gif (358KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
MYGOD.gif
358KB, 300x169px
>>90289359
>have old and failing retail model
>that focuses on selling a floundering medium
>where you cannot return stock to distributors
>and you allow people to order stock without pre-purchase
>"what? how are we losing money!?"
I think you have bigger problems than people not picking up their orders
>>
>>90306258
You realize that no one running an LCS would be of the opinion that LCS' is a flawed model, right?

Not because of some special insider knowledge, because if they thought that they'd close their store.
>>
>>90289359
I can absolutely understand it.

my experiences. Sometimes the shop would pull books I didn't really want, because of related tie-ins.
I would take them anyway.

and yeah, when I was still going to comic shops, it was a drive. a solid 45min drive to the closest shop. I would only show up once every 3 months.

And then when I did finally say, yeah, thats it. I did make sure to go back. take what they had pulled, and tell them. to close it out.
>>
>>90306258
go buy some pop figures instead of comics next time, your LCS will thank you.

fun fact: gamestop is shifting to merchandise too. I'll give you a hint on what's destroying their model: It's either digital distribution, or a magic flaming cheetah that eats cash from the register
>>
>>90289602
when i was in highschool i dreamed about opening my own comic book store
now i know if you want to pander to geeks you should open a sex shop instead
>>
>>90306312
Godawful upper HR ain't helping.
>>
>>90290482
hard to argue with that when for every old comicbook store that closes the shitty chain that only has marvel/dc/manga opens two new locations
>>
>>90289860
Your idea is bad and you should feel bad.

You're basically saying "I'm going to ignore all this shit that LCS' started doing because comics don't turn a profit and magically make enough money to expand quickly"

With a plan like that you won't even get a loan.
>>
I'm scared anons, I pull books monthly, and I don't want my LCS to close down. I feel horrible because I haven't picked up my pull in over a year and I'm hoping they at least sold it, because I'm 100% sure they won't believe my reason for not picking it up.

I was in a car accident, and I fell into a coma for months. Between that and therapy, I completely shifted focus from my hobbies and shit.
>>
>>90306468
Maybe you shouldn't have gotten your shop to pull shit if you were gonna be in a coma you piece of shit
>>
>>90291221
I've had trades come in with water damage, with pages pulled off the binding, etc. It's a crap shoot, but the chance Amazon will fuck something up appears to be growing.
>>
>>90289359
This is as easy as making people pay when they order something and notifying them if it's not picked up in 3 months' time, it gets trashed.
>>
>>90292057
Or, you know, they don't want their information stolen and sold to card cloners. Fuck, I've seen credit unions do that. No store is holding my credit information.
>>
one of the best comic book shops i've been to was the one in Marvel Super Hero Island at Universal. they had literally every single obscure Marvel essential, omnibus, masterwork imaginable
>>
>>90289512

Yeah, floppies are shit for the most part.

If I buy stuff from the Big 2, I can be sure that every SECOND FUCKING PAGE is an ad for a product that I wouldn't even buy in the first place. It makes comics fucking unreadable.

Image, Avatar and others do it better by completely leaving out ads. I actually buy those. I understand that that is probably harder, but making the product undesirable by smearing shit over every other page is not the solution.

If there are ads anywhere within a story part of a floppy, I don't buy it.
>>
>>90306468

To avoid that awkward confrontation, the most effective way is to just go back into a coma at this point, anon...

But seriously, glad you seem to be okay, buddy
>>
>>90306468

What was being in a coma like, exactly as Abe Simpson declared it or other?

The only time I don't pick up anything from my pull list is when I go on holiday for 2-3 months. I generally give my LCS a notice that I'm going to be gone for a couple months and they are pretty much okay with that.
>>
>>90307359

Either you're a student or TELL ME WHAT KIND OF JOB LET'S YOU HAVE THAT MUCH FREETIME
>>
>>90291168
If I decide not to buy a month's issue from one of my pulls, I always make sure to buy something of equivalent value so that my shop owner doesn't feel like I'm dogging him. Courtesy goes a very long way.
>>
>>90307400

>Being a student
Never went that route but I'm a medical invigilator for med students sometimes, pays a shit load and lets me have free time enough to focus on my hobbies. I can also put my name down for university experiments which let me pull in more money.
Thread posts: 274
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.