[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Hades always portrayed as the bad guy? In Greek myth,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 46

Why is Hades always portrayed as the bad guy?

In Greek myth, he did way less evil shit than Zeus did.
>>
Because you can not make a god of death a good guy in western media.
>>
I know it's you, Hades. I can see you right there in the picture.
>>
Because hell and all that.
>>
>>90254404
Discworld's Death is an OK guy
>>
File: persephone_hades.jpg (72KB, 656x450px) Image search: [Google]
persephone_hades.jpg
72KB, 656x450px
>>90254362
Reminder that the only really bad thing Hades actually did in the original Greek myths was to kidnap Persephone, but she ended up falling for him because Hades got Persephone away from her overbearing mother Demeter
>>
>>90254362
Because you can't easily convince the public that the ruler of the Underworld is actually just as good/bad as the other Greek Gods.
>>
Yeah, Poseidon's the far bigger dick brother.
>>
>Film about the Old Testament
>God is portrayed as a good guy

Hmmmm.
>>
File: 1485649012853.gif (2MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
1485649012853.gif
2MB, 320x180px
>>90254362
>>90254641

You fans and /co/ in general has a really stupid view on Greek mythology and beliefs.

It's like nerd revanchism.

Hades wasn't particularly liked at the time. He was seem as grim, and his name brought bad luck.

Zeus on the other side was seeing as a Chad brother, patriarch of Gods and the most powerful guy around having the time of his life. He wasn't actively malevolent and could actually help humans, it's actually the point of him having multiple temples.
>>
Because every mythology or ancient religion that utilizes an underworld and celestial plain will ALWAYS be filtered through the lense of Christianity.
>>
File: KingYemmaNV01.png (260KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
KingYemmaNV01.png
260KB, 640x480px
Already said but the connotations of hell and the devil in Christianity which is the major western religion which is making all these cartoons.

The idea of a King of Hell that's just a neutral bureaucrat doing his job and his closest vice is he's sort of a jew is alien to most western culture.
>>90254641
Also Zeus egged him on.
>>
>>90254475
>The Greek Underworld
>Hell
That's Tartarus.
>>
>Aphrodite, goddess of love
>Not of infidelity, jealousy, turning girls into gorgons

Of course, the disnified version of the story is that she was always a gorgon and aphrodite tried to help her make friends with special glasses to prevent turning people to stone incidentally.
>>
>>90254362
Yeah, but Hades was a really good bad guy.

Besides, if they followed the mythos more, Hades would just be a lonely dude doing his job. There's no antagonistic force to a blue- collar guy.
>>
>>90254767
>Hades wasn't particularly liked at the time. He was seem as grim, and his name brought bad luck.
I don't see how that's incompatible with the comments you're responding to.
They're onyl saying he wasn't a villain.

Of course you're not supposed to say the name of the god of death. Saying something's name summons it. Ancient people from all over the world knew that.
>>
>>90254813
They are both hell though. Tartarus is for titans.
>>
>>90254847
There was an antoganistic force in the original myth though. And she came in the form of an evil stepmother! That's something Disney has experience with.
>>
>>90254813
expecting the average consumer of media to understand the difference.

Here's the thought process.

Hell=Below the ground, Hades is the greek god of shit below the ground therefore, Hades is like Satan.
>>
>>90254404
Greek mythology is part of western media though.
>>
>>90254362
>Disney's Hercules
>Zeus and Hera are a happily married couple and Hercules is their biological son

I know making the main villain of a family movie the angry wife of an adulterous husband taking revenge on her husband's lovechild wouldn't go over well, but it might as well not even be the Hercules story at this point.
>>
>>90254914
That is completely true, but I can see why they didn't want to go with "evil bitch" villian, because they had done that many times before.
>>
File: 561.png (332KB, 500x706px) Image search: [Google]
561.png
332KB, 500x706px
>>90254362
>>
File: goddessofspring05.jpg (14KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
goddessofspring05.jpg
14KB, 400x300px
>>90254362
Basically, when discussing Zeus and Hades in a modern western context, it usually goes down like this:

"Okay, listen up white Christian cartoonists, today we're going to design characters based on Greek gods. We'll start with Hades."
>Oh, Hades. I know that word, that means Hell.
"Well, the realm he inhabits, also called Hades, is like our concept of Hell. See, through bad luck, he was cast down from the Greek kind of Heaven and he goes to rule in this underworld domain where souls end up when people die."
>So, he's Satan. He's evil. Got it, we'll design him like Satan and write him in a Satan like role
"No no, guys, you don't get it. They don't exactly have Satan. This other god, Zeus, was a much bigger douche. He's portrayed as a big guy with a beard that rules over all the other gods and lives in the clouds and hurls lightening bolts at people."
>Dude, no, that's God. He's a good guy. Don't be blasphemous. We'll write him as the good guy and Hades Satan as the evil guy.
"I give up. Let's just move on..."
>>
>>90254767
Nobody LIKED any of the gods. They just honored them in hopes that their eternal douchery would look them over and cast their boredom and wraith on someone else.

People built temples to Zeus because Zeus had reign over their land. Hades's reign was the underworld, far away from mortal concern. And in Greek mythology you were pretty much screwed in the afterlife no matter what you did; it's not like there was any heaven you could buy your way into.
>>
File: That's justs Morbid.jpg (57KB, 429x960px) Image search: [Google]
That's justs Morbid.jpg
57KB, 429x960px
>>
>>90255031
Shitty afterlife prospects were why mystery cults like Mithraism, the delphic mysteris, cult of osiris and Christianity became popular. The latter especially since you could become a Christian for free when the others were basically religious country clubs for rich people.
>>
>>90255027
>cast down
Did I hear wrong I thought he drew lots and WANTED to be god of the underworld because Hades was literally the world under ours including all the shit you could mine out of the Earth and his only character trait apart from being dreary and professional was being greedy.
Poseidon was the guy who disliked his lot in life which is why the sea is such a dick.
>>
This is why Age of Mythology is the best Greek myth kino-game of all time, because they took Greek myth games back to their Homeric roots by making Poseidon the bad guy.
>>
>>90254861
>I don't see how that's incompatible with the comments you're responding to.
>They're onyl saying he wasn't a villain.

NO, he wasn't a villain. What I'm saying is that people here like to paint him in a weird light, like over compensation for how he is usually portrayed.

>>90255031
>Nobody LIKED any of the gods.

False.

Like, really fucking false

This is the kind of train of thought that this 4chan weird vision of Greek mythology ends up creating.

Gods were seeing as celebrities, cities had pride on being descendant of a God or hero connected to a god, they wrote music and verses praising them.

Really, I don't know how this weird visipn happened. Probably because people like to focus more when the gods screw with people than when they help them, and because people only know a handful of myths, and doesn't study what were the actual religious beliefs.
>>
>>90254362
Because most people are casuals.
Casuals like simple brain dead stuff.
Jews invented brain dead Good/Bad mythology, spreads like wildfire.
Most people in the world are now in the whole schtik of perfect god, bad guy death and poison and sin and all that.
>>
>>90254362

because death and underworld = the devil and hell.

i'm waiting for someone to do a thing with evil Hades as a capitalist monster. y'know god of money.
>>
>>90254910
Tartarus contains mortals, too. Ixion, Sisyphus, Tantalus, and Salmoneus.
>>
>>90255031
>And in Greek mythology you were pretty much screwed in the afterlife no matter what you did;

Elysian Fields.
>>
>>90255268
>Hades pulls strings so that the Richest Cities in the world are going to be wiped off the Map
>Just so all the Rich people will buy their way out of Hades, Poor people can eat a dick
>>
>>90255388
Reserved only for demi-gods.

And a late addition.
>>
>>90254844
Nasu was a mistake
>>
Oh his most famous myth and like the only one about him being about kidnapping and rape doesn't help.

inb4 Zeus I guess the argument would be Hades went at another God and not a mortal???
>>
>>90255388
Yeah, if I'm remembering right, Tartarus was Hell, Elysium was Heaven, and the Underworld was just the neutral afterlife that most people went to.
>>
>>90255414
>Reserved only for demi-gods.

It was also the land for heroes, Achilles ended up there despite not being a demi-god.
>>
>>90255388
That was a retcon. Not muh mytholoy. The only valid Greek mythology is the Iliad and the Odyssey as far as I'm concerned. None of that Greek tragedy bullshit or Ovid and CERTAINLY no Roman influences..
>>
>>90255195
All the realms had their own advantages and disadvantages, but I often hear the story going that the underworld realm was generally considered by the three brothers (Zeus, Poseidon, Hades) as the shittiest of their three realms and Hades drew the short straw and just shrugged and made the most of it. You get to have the riches of the earth, but it's still a dark dank underground place where dead people go and you have to be all alone most of the time.

I've heard that Poseidon had a secret laugh at Zeus afterwards for actually wanting the sky because it's full of a lot of fucking nothing and because what with them being Greek and the Greeks being an island faring people, the sea and all the fish and travel and seaweed and weather out there were really fucking important and valued.

Of course, every one of these myths has several versions that have been past down through a game of telephone for thousands of years so I can totally see there being other versions where they feel differently.
>>
>>90255450
He was a still a demi-naiad and therefore divine.
>>
>>90254362
I like how he kidnapped his future wife, and then she turned it around on him and made it so he was stuck with her no matter what.
>>
>>90255450
His mother was a nymph, a minor deity.

He wasn't a regular human.
>>
The real question is that if Hercules is actually a secret Superman movie (and it is) who is Hades? zod i guess
>>
>>90254404

which is pretty dumb cuz I dont think he nessiarily ever killed people, he just ruled over the dominion that housed the souls of the dead.
>>
>>90254844
And then Medusa still ended up killing that poor roller-skating waitress who probably smashed into pieces somewhere offscreen.
>>
>>90255501
>>90255518

Mortals can get into the Elysian fields. That was the whole point of joining and Orphic mystery cult.
>>
>>90255469
>The only valid Greek mythology is the Iliad and the Odyssey as far as I'm concerned.

Well then BOY are you gonna feel stupid!

to the Elysian plain…where life is easiest for men. No snow is there, nor heavy storm, nor ever rain, but ever does Ocean send up blasts of the shrill-blowing West Wind that they may give cooling to men.
—Homer, Odyssey (4.560–565)

>>90255501
That's a huge stretch
>>
>>90254616
Yes, but Terry Pratchett never had to answer to a producer. When a film adaptation of Mort was in very early negotiations with a studio, and a producer wanted to "lose the Death angle", he halted everything and left on the spot.
>>
>>90255534
Luthor.
>>
>>90254362
theyre pretending its christian mythology, and using the same old tropes they use in all the movies
>>
File: megashades.jpg (92KB, 842x1105px) Image search: [Google]
megashades.jpg
92KB, 842x1105px
>>90255037
>>
>>90255534
>Hercules is actually a secret Superman movie

I've seen this a lot and I don't get it. Granted, I haven't seen Hercules in a really long time, but how is it a Superman movie outside the obvious of being a hero?
>>
>>90255669
>Mega Shades dot jaypeg
>She's not wearing sunglasses of any size
>>
>>90255037
>implying Hades will ever get out of that soul pit
Pain and Panic are the new rulers of the underworld.
>>
>>90255224
Oh please like you've ever even read a Greek Drama, much less any of the Histories. Look, I'm sure you have a dimestore Romance with a PBS Documentary you've seen once that derived them from the color that they painted their columns during their many festivals, but you're only pretending to you have a telescope into the emotions of people who lived in a time where only the most occasional of philosophical writing and high theater survive.

If might be reasonable to assume that the common person had far more of a blissfully ignorant perspective on the Gods than the philosophers and writers, but since we can only see the Greeks through these first-degree sources the depiction of the Gods is clear: they are inscrutable, flippant, and vengeful. They are not heroes and champions, the heroes and champions are (surprise surprise) heroes and champions. Instead they were the necessary and personified moral scaffolding around which life must be rightly lived without inviting hubris (which is one of the most central pillars of their morality). There was not talk of "divine favors" and "divine celebrity"- you're the one who's thinking too modern in this account- but rather, the literature talked about divine oversight, divine appeasement, and mortal humility.
>>
>>90255676
Superpowered baby being adopted by humble farmers who would later became a superhero.
>>
>>90254362
he did less stuff than zeus. period

people made very few stories about hades because angering the god of the underworld meant eternal pain and suffering, angering zeus meant a swift lightning bolt and being sent to hades

hades as evil stems from the medieval age when comparisons to satan, who also ran the underworld, where easy ones to make.

hades as a good, kind god is also fairly recent, the greeks mostly treated him as a freakish loner, not malevolent but still not very pleasant
>>
>>90255676
>born to a couple in a utopian society of super beings in the heavens apart from earth
>is irreversibly separated from them and sent down to earth as a baby
>is discovered as a baby by a couple of childless farmers called Ma and Pa
>as a teenager he exhibits super strength and Ma and Pa confess that he's not human and they found him in their field
>as a teen goes and talks to an artificial (statue vs hologram) version of his dad that explains what happened
>goes to the big city and proceeds to use super strength save people from other superpowered beings and shit
>meets a snarky streetwise chick wearing purple who clashes with his own mild-mannered farmboy nature and gets a big crush on her, they end up in a relationship
>>
File: ahkatrina.jpg (43KB, 279x325px) Image search: [Google]
ahkatrina.jpg
43KB, 279x325px
>>90255738
Meg as Hades
>>
>>90255469
Adorable. Ancient Greece is Athens. Ancient Greece is Athens in a very small period of time of maybe a hundred years around 350 BC. The Classics are the reason anyone today cares about Ancient Greek Mythology, not some epic poem the likes of which exist in about a dozen other civilizations. Reading the Iliad and saying "I know everything about Greek Mythology because I'm too lazy to read the things that actually moved people to higher for the past 2400 years" is basically being the weeb equivalent of Greek Mythos.
>>
File: unnamed.png (152KB, 500x398px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
152KB, 500x398px
>>90255914
>>
>>90254404
Hello, /a/ here. I just found these lounging around. I think one of them might be yours.
>>
File: zeus.webm (3MB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
zeus.webm
3MB, 720x405px
>>90255004
>>
>>90256209
What is this from?
>>
>>90256209
>Oh....you're man shaped...I guess that's fine too.
>>
>>90255769
Athena seems to have been mostly good. She helps Odysseus kill the guys who tried to cuck him and saves Orestes from the Furies. Now that I think about it, I can't name a single bad thing she's done.
>>
>>90256209
At least he turned back into a human before fucking her. You can't always count on the gods to have that decency.
>>
>>90256278
She turned a bitch into a Spider for being better at weaving.
>>
File: the-congress.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
the-congress.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>90256257
The Congress.
>>
>>90256355
She also turned medusa ugly because Poseidon raped medusa in her temple.
>>
>>90256328
it's boring though
>>
>>90256398
Why do women always get the short end of the stick for being raped in these?
>>
>>90256398
To be fair, that might've been a consensual rape.
>>
>>90256355
I thought Arachne hung herself and then Athena revived her as a spider.
>>
>>90255037
Doesn't Hercules actually end up killing her?
>>
>>90256420
Having a minotaur come out of their cooch some months later is just a little too exciting for some women.
>>
>>90254362
I wish someone in Hollywood would attempt a Greek mythology cinematic universe. And I don't mean that stupid Percy Jackson shit, I mean legitimately Greek mythology, played straight. There's so much potential there. I guess they don't want to use something that's in the public domain, but the "brand" could be the recurring cast who play the gods, the visual style, as well as certain high-profile directors, producers, composers, etc.
>>
>>90256467

yeah but because he got mindfucked by i wanna guess Hera. it's a tragedy
>>
>>90256355
Can you imagine how fucking disgusting the world must have been like back then without spiders to keep bugs in check? Athena did the world a great service. She probably saved millions from malaria.
>>
>>90256442
Because that's how culture was at the time. Still is, in some cases.
>>
>>90256467
In true myth yes. But in true myth the labors are because he murdered them in a Herainduced rage.
>>
>>90256520
>legitimately Greek mythology, played straight
Modern audiences won't take kindly to all the rape and incest.
>>
>>90256542
I'm sure it is, but maybe Meg would be into being Hadesified after that.
>>
>>90256571
imagine a faithful, high-budget bible adaption
>>
>>90256613
You mean this?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Passion_of_the_Christ
>>
File: 1480306805369.jpg (37KB, 313x267px) Image search: [Google]
1480306805369.jpg
37KB, 313x267px
>>90255769
Dude, you have to keep in mind that you are using the equivalent of a blockbuster and soap opera of the time to judge their religious views, instead of what the ancient texts, priests and other iconography stuff have to say.

This is always a big problem in this kind of discussion. People only know 2 or even myths, but not how the daily life worked, which God could cure your feet, which ritual you made before going to learn the future from the mouth of the priestess, or the medical chants and curses done with carved knives.
>>
>>90254362
Christianity
>>
>>90256442
One explanation I've read is that it's difficult to get revenge directly on a god or goddess so they tend to opt for targeting those who are weaker but still important to the one they want to fuck around with. That's why you have Hera goading Zeus' side flings and children instead of him directly.

>>90256355
It's usually more because of their attitudes of thinking they're better than the gods that gets them in trouble in some versions. Compare Arachne's case to someone like Pygmalion who was a pretty dope ass sculptor.
>>
>>90256961
There's also the idea of rape back then not really being like modern rape.
In time where wards especially women were essentially property of their superiors, rape meant taking a woman without going through the proper channels. Hell in most myths Hades doesn't really have sex with Persephone, the rape is literally in her taking which is the archaic definition of rape.
>>
>>90254362
Why does /co/ bitch about this change so much? All Disney adaptations from an adult source are drastically changed and kidified. Yet /co/ seems to make this thread at least once a month complaining about Hades being a badguy. Is it just fedorafags being unable to resist taking a jab at "those darn christfags ruining everything!" or what?
>>
I'd kill to get an animated equivalent of Arrested Development with Hestia as the Michael Bluth stand-in trying to keep the other Gods in check.
>>
>>90257170

that and a little "i'm smrt and showing off my greek knowledge"

hopefully the thread turns into something good tho
>>
>>90256398
That that to keep her from ever getting raped again? Can't get raped by stone men
>>
>>90255606
>Yes, but Terry Pratchett never had to answer to a producer.
Hogfather has not one but seven credited producers
>>
>>90256420
Loki pls leave
>>
>>90255878
>the greeks mostly treated him as a freakish loner, not malevolent but still not very pleasant
And you wonder why the denizens of the internet like him
>>
>>90254844
>turning girls into gorgons

Wasn't that Athena, though?

Are there any Greek/Roman gods who are decent people? The only ones I can think of are Hephaestus, Demeter (only story I've seen her in is the one with Persephone) and maybe Eros.
>>
File: 084.png (298KB, 600x512px) Image search: [Google]
084.png
298KB, 600x512px
>>90256457
>consensual rape
>>
File: 1307880029679.gif (138KB, 240x205px) Image search: [Google]
1307880029679.gif
138KB, 240x205px
>>90255606
>a producer wanted to "lose the Death angle"
I need a source for this shit. I refuse to believe somebody went this retarded.
>>
>>90257381
>Demeter
You mean, the bitch who was going to freeze the world to get her daughter back?
>>
Christians. Christians and their satan ruined everything. That is the reason. The only reason.
>>
>>90254362
>always
>>
Why do people bitch about this like there are tons of shows with Hades in it? I can't even remember any besides Hercules

And the answer is obvious as fuck, he is the god of death, we asociate death with bad things, so we made him into a bad god. It is easier to pretend this is true than try to teach people that the god of death can be nice
>>
>>90257452
I didn't know it was deliberate. I thought winter only came because she was too emotionally distraught to do her work properly.
>>
>>90257385
see
>>90257167

Rape in Greek Culture doesn't necessarily mean the woman doesn't want it, it means the woman wasn't theirs to have. So Athena could've cursed Medusa for breaking her oath to her.
>>
>>90257170
Probably because Hades has the coolest character design and everyone else looks like a dork.
>>
>>90257521
I think I read once that the word they translate from old greek to mean "rape" can also translate to "elope" in some contexts.
>>
>>90257521
>it means the woman wasn't theirs to have

Isn't that just adultery?
>>
>>90256209
I turned into a bull. Bitches love bulls.
>>
>>90257170
I just don't get why they felt the need to pick a myth they had to change so much of to be family friendly. There's a ton of good shit out there. A gods-and-magic version of the Trojan War would have been tight. The Oddesy as a Disney film would have worked really well. The story of Perseus would have been a better fit than Hercules but would have hit some of the same notes.
>>
>>90257711
In Greek and Roman culture, women were mostly property and if they belonged to you, you could have sex with them. Slaves, wives, prisoners of war, etc, had no say whether or not they want to have sex. Rape was when a man had sex with a woman that didn't belong to him.
>>
>>90257381
Dionysus was a party bro for the most part. If you ever wanted a good time, he was the go-to guy.

Hermes is more of a lovable rogue, yeah he's a trickster and likes to mess with people, but he was a pretty good with kids.

Hestia is probably the only decent one, in that she just did her job and not get involved with everyone else's shit.
>>
>>90254362
Christian values are too strong in the west.
If hades had been a thing in the bible, he'd be a bad guy. It's as simple as that.
The movie was from the late 90's too, we weren't as 'open' as we are now. The book of life (Or any movie talking about the mexican culture really, I'm just using this as an example since it's also an animated movie targetting children.) would've never came out in the US, and maybe in some EU countries, twenty years ago.
>>
>>90257711
That's more in cases of married women, but this refers to just women in general who can be possessed by their parents or their masters.
>>90257800
Because Herc is Herc. He's pretty much the most popular Greek Hero.
>>90257867
Dio's parties would turn into orgies which would then turn into massacres.
>>
>>90254362
Like many people have mentioned, it's because it's very easy to draw a parallel with hell and Satan.

Similarly, in Disney's Jungle Book, Kaa was turned into a villain because they felt Christian audiences wouldn't be comfortable with a non-evil snake.
>>
>>90254362
Same reason why Satan is seen as the bad guy, while Yahweh openly condones genocide, stoning homosexuals, killing adulterers, slavery, rape, and racism. I am not surprised why Satan wants to take over the world, the one currently leading it is the true devil.
>>
>>90257458
Satan was way less evil than god in the bible, and arguably a product of god in the first place.
>>
>>90258007
>arguably a product of god in the first place
Isn't God all-knowing, all-powerful, and the prime cause of everything in the universe according to the bible? I'm a little rusty on Christian mythology.
>>
File: hqdefault (2).jpg (11KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (2).jpg
11KB, 480x360px
>>90257986
So God confirmed evil?
>>
File: index.jpg (11KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
11KB, 225x225px
>>90257942
Everywhere I looked there were piles of bodies, and then the explosion struck HAHAHAHAhahaha... ah
>>
File: 135196611749.jpg (92KB, 290x544px) Image search: [Google]
135196611749.jpg
92KB, 290x544px
>>90257942
>Dio
>>
File: Smug Frog.png (281KB, 495x597px) Image search: [Google]
Smug Frog.png
281KB, 495x597px
>>90257942
>He's pretty much the most popular Greek Hero.

>not Achilles

Pleb. There's a reason the Iliad survived to this day and the epic about Heracles' twelve labors didn't. Because it stinks.
>>
>>90258164
I don't think I'm the one you meant to respond to, but I'm inclined to agree with the people who've posted in that vein of thinking.
>>
Who had the hardest life in Greek mythology?
>>
>>90258007
>Evil
It's a little hard to be evil when the narrative is you're the objective morally correct being in all the universe.
>>
File: le sad demiurge.png (584KB, 1400x2700px) Image search: [Google]
le sad demiurge.png
584KB, 1400x2700px
>implying any of the gods are legit
>>
File: loki.jpg (9KB, 130x130px) Image search: [Google]
loki.jpg
9KB, 130x130px
So OP's question is pretty obvious.

But why is Loki oftentimes depicted as Odin's son instead of his blood-brother?
>>
>>90258350
Orpheus and Eurydice
>>
>>90258395
The Egyptian pantheon has been 8927/8927 in the past few years.

It's why I'm looking into adopting an Abyssinian or an Egyptian Mau.
>>
>>90258350
If a god turned you into an animal you're somewhere in the running
>>
>>90258417
Marvel comics
That's really the only account I know of with Loki as Odins son. Maybe people find it easier to think of him as Thor's brother because their buddy dynamic in a bunch of myths which just seems weird if he's actually Thor's dads old war buddy.
>>
>>90258417
Because Marvel wanted to focus in Thor instead of Odin so he became Thor's brother and therefore Odin's son.
>>
>>90258350
Prometheus
>>
File: Sonofthemask.jpg (34KB, 220x326px) Image search: [Google]
Sonofthemask.jpg
34KB, 220x326px
>>90258558
I think he was also Odin's son in this piece of shit
>>
>Implying gods aren't all bad guys.
>>
>>90257942
>Because Herc is Herc. He's pretty much the most popular Greek Hero.
I don't know why you think that. His name is probably the most immediately recognizable, but very few people even know what his story even IS. I think more people know the basics of the Odyssey even if the name "Odysseus" doesn't mean anything to them.

It helps that Odysseus was a pretty cool guy by our standards, he just wanted to get home to his wife and had some zany adventures along the way. The problem of having Hera as an antagonist vs Hercules and the infidelity that's critical to that plot wouldn't be there it's just Poseidon acting out of pride, who would make a fine Disney villain.

But with Hercules it's harder to find something they KEPT from the original than what they changed. Shit like The Little Mermaid had changes, sure, including giving it a happy ending, but the core story is the same. Hercules was just a whole other thing.
>>
>>90254641
sorta, the story IS called "the rape of persephone".
But it's worth mentioning that for the ancient greek word for rape was synonymous with seduce
>>
The funny thing is Poseidon was arguably the biggest dick out of the three brothers.

If I remember correctly, he always had a huge chip on his shoulder because while the sea wasn't technically Zeus's realm, it was all kind of seen as Zeus domain. So he was always on his brothers territory. Whereas Hades basically had his own world to govern. The Greeks/Romans considered him an Infernal Zeus.

Also, the ancient Greeks were scared shitless of Hades for obvious reasons, so that probably had something to do with it. That negative connotation despite him not being evil.
>>
>>90258596
Eh, most of the Titans had horrible punishments, Prometheus just seems to get the shorter end of the stick because he tried to help humans that one time instead of being a total dick like everyone else.
>>
>>90258943
And even then, it still doesn't compare to what his brothers did for their wives

Zeus raped Hera, and basically shamed her into marrying him. Poseidon had Delphin track down Amphitrite, and forced her to marry him.
>>
File: BORN TO RUNE.png (2MB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
BORN TO RUNE.png
2MB, 1280x960px
>>90257450
I can't remember where it first came out (I heard about it via an interview Pratchett did), but here's one recent source.
http://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero/2016/07/books-film

It's actually worse in full detail

>The will-they-won’t-they saga of bringing Pratchett to the big screen is almost as long as the 41-strong novel series itself. In 1992, Pratchett was approached by an American production company about his novel “Mort”, a dark comedy about the skeletal, scythe-wielding figure of Death taking on an intern. (A fan-made graffiti painting of Death, based on the artwork of another book, “Reaper Man”, is above.) “We’ve been doing market research and the skeleton bit doesn’t work for us, it’s a bit of a downer,” Pratchett recalled the producers saying, “We love it, it’s high concept—just lose the Death angle.” The film went no further.
>>
>>90258663
Because there've been several movies and tv shows about Hercules. Even if you don't know the specifics about Herc's story with being a Prince and the labors and all that gay shit you know he's Zeus' son and the strongest fucker around. The point is Disney just wanted his name.
>>
>>90256467
That myth is unlikely to occur in the Disney version, since Hera is his mother and in the original myth he only killed Megara after Hera sent him into a wild rage because she hated his stupid bastard guts.
>>
>>90258663
he was
>>
Things Hades does in the original greek mythos:
>gets stuck with the objectively worst realm to rule
>can't even get out of there
>is just with his judgement
>"kidnaps" a goddess because he is alone as fuck down there
>can only keep here for 25% of a year else her mother kills everyone
>treats her like a fucking queen the entire 3 months she's down there a year
>once allows some retard to take his dead gf back
>they manage to do the only thing they weren't supposed to do on the way out

Things Zeus does in the original greek mythos
>starts swallowing his children else they'll do the same thing Zeus did to his dad
>rapes at least half the women in Greece
>kills some of them
>condemns a guy to eternally roll a boulder uphill because he didn't want Zeus to rape his daughter
>is the original wifebeater
>normies still consider him the good guy

Being Hades is suffering
>>
File: Hercules.jpg (19KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
Hercules.jpg
19KB, 480x270px
Why is Zeus so based?
>>
>>90259325
>normies still consider him the good guy
Besides Disney where else is Zeus the good guy? Most gods get slapped with the "I'm an arrogant ass" trait these days.
>>
>>90259325
The Greeks obviously saw it as such, but from a modern perspective, is it really?

You have all the resources of earth. You're basically a necromancer. And you're secure as fuck because no one is going to attack you because it's the fucking Underworld.

Whereas the Sky is empty as fuck. But you get clouds. And lightning, I guess.
>>
>>90259441
I've met a good chunk of people that pretty much think all mythologies are the same but with different names so their line of thought goes Zeus = Odin = God = good.
Seriously it's common as hell
>>
>>90259545
I wouldn't even say that, it's what you're associated with. Zeus can rape and murder all he wants but Hades decides what version of hell you get to enjoy so he has an much more sinister idea to him overall.
>>
The most interesting thing to me about Hades is it seems like he was arguably Zeus' favored brother. There are quite a few instances of them helping each other out, and Zeus was A-Okay with Hades taking his daughter. Whereas Poseidon was always trying to pick fights
>>
>>90259744
To be honest Poseidon was always a little bitch
>>
>>90258943
>ancient greek word for rape was synonymous with seduce
No it isn't. The Greeks didn't have a word for Rape. To describe it they just used a word that was synonymous for simply unacceptable social action or acting outside of ones rights and then applied it in regards to a interacting with a women. There is no romantic connotation.

None of that even matters because the Greeks didn't call it the "Rape of Persephone" That is just a name for the event that Renaisance artists came up with and stuck.
>>
>>90259744
I think most of us will agree that Worst God is either Poseidon or Ares.
>>
>>90259875
>>90259915
sh-shut up
>>
>>90259875
Was it because he was sandwiched between Hades and Zeus, and only half-ass had his own realm?
>>
>>90258501
orpheus was pretty boss at music.
>>
>>90259545

To be fair a good chunk of Western mythology DOES actually descend from an proto-indo-European Ur-mythology with a sky deity at the head of the pantheon, who was later syncretized with Yaweh.
>>
File: 1488134352793.png (327KB, 960x567px) Image search: [Google]
1488134352793.png
327KB, 960x567px
>>90254362
>childhood is idolizing Hercules
>growing up is realizing Hades makes more sense
>>
>>90260189

good ole early christians mashing it all into one stew
>>
Say what you will about them, but I feel like the first series of Percy Jackson got Hades right for the most part. Him not being Satan just kind of done with people's shit.

I did think the whole weird feud with Olympus was stupid and forced as fuck
>>
>>90259915
Ares did nothing wrong.
>>
File: grim.jpg (18KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
grim.jpg
18KB, 210x240px
>>90254404
>implying
>>
>>90258350
Everyone from Cadmus's bloodline:

Actaeon- turned into a deer by Artemis and killed by his dogs

Pentheus- torn to pieces by Maenads

Oedipus- unknowingly killed his father and married his mother.

Niobe -turned to stone after her kids were killed by Apollo and Artemis

Antigone-buried alive by her uncle for wanting to bury her brothers

Semele- incinerated by Zeus after giving birth to Bacchus

These are just a few of the bad ends that happened to Cadmus's family.
>>
>>90254767
Wasn't Hades by association, the god of wealth (the logic being that gems came from beneath the earth i.e. Hades' domain)?
>>
>>90260771
Dah. He had mad bling.
>>
>>90254680
This. So much this.
>>
>>90260511
Even Grim thought of himself as evil.
>>90260646
>married his mother
That's the tip of the iceberg, what happened afterwards is far worse than just the accidentally murdering his dad and marrying his mom. His kids would go onto murder the fuck out of eachother and drag his peoples into it.
>>
In actuality Hades was a nicer guy and had more empathy than Zeus and Poseidon, who were both genuinely evil, especially the latter. Most of the Greek Gods were big, angry, evil children with incredible power.

For example, Apollo once got into a musical contest with a mortal. The contest involved playing an instrument. The mortal was better, but this angered Apollo, who changed the rules to give him an advantage, saying that they had to sing as well as play their instrument. The mortals instrument was a horn-based instrument which required him to use his mouth to play, so it was impossible for him to sing. Declaring himself victorious, he immolated the mortal after cheating in a contest.
>>
>>90260646
Who did Cadmus piss off?
>>
>>90261001
>empathy
No. Hades had no empathy, the reason he wasn't a dick like the other gods was because he was emotionally muted. Hades didn't empathize but he didn't hold grudges either. He was just a guy doing his job and the only way you could emotionally sway him was by playing the saddest song in the world and even then he'd make it harder than just leaving with your waifu.
>>
The idea of Hades just being this bureaucratic dude in a tailored suit minding his own damn business, gaining more and more power as people die because of his brothers' tard antics, is way funnier than it should be.
>>
>>90261147
Dionysus, with the added wrinkle that when Dionysus was still human he was related to him.
>>
>>90261156
Hades understood what mortals go through but taught that they need to accept their lot in life, and that death is their final destiny.
>>
>>90261211
Hades: the original lawyer.
>>
File: IMG_0379.png (152KB, 358x432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0379.png
152KB, 358x432px
>>90255738
>>
>>90261156
I wouldn't say emotionally muted. Just very serious, grim, and logical. But with the capability of positive/illogical emotions in the right situation. I.E. Persephone, Orpheus, arguably Hercules
>>
>>90258350
Hephaestus was the definition of a cuck
>>
The dude had a helmet of darkness.
I'm just gonna go out on a limb here and say he wasn't only visiting his wife three/six months of the year.

You can't not convince me he didn't bang Persephone on Demeter's table or something just to be petty.
>>
>>90261251
I thought that Cadmus's family curse was caused because he killed a giant snake that belonged to Apollo.

Dionysus didn't have a grudge against Cadmus he had a grudge against Cadmus's son Pentheus who was his uncle.
>>
>>90255268
And I'm waiting for a story with Zeus as the bad guy that wants to destroy humanity for not paying homage to him anymore and Hades as the hero trying to save humanity from extinction just so he doesn't have to manage seven fucking billions of new souls
>>
>>90257800
They picked Herc because he was a household name at the time thanks to Sorbo's tv series.
>>
>>90261457
>Abandoned by mother for not being perfect enough for Olympus
>Crawl your way back to Olympus' spotlight and use it to take your mother hostage
>Arrange getting married to the single hottest Goddess of Olympus
>Wife is a cheating hoe but won't admit it
>Catch her and her lover and show all the Gods making them a laughing stock
>Use it as the legal grounds to divorce her
>Jack off on Athena
>Marry Aphrodite's hot daughter
>Have three beautiful daughters that encompass success and a happy home

What about that is the definition of cuckoldry?
>>
>>90261659
>wife is a cheating hoe
Right there, that's the literal definition of a cuck.
>>
>>90261761
Thats not what cuckoldry is. Cuckoldry is being unaware of raising someones else's child.
>>
>>90261761
are you retarded
>>
File: intredasting.jpg (51KB, 685x567px) Image search: [Google]
intredasting.jpg
51KB, 685x567px
>>90261761
This poor guy. He didn't even realize he was fully retarded til he left /pol/.
>>
>>90261793
>>90261799
>>90261844

Cuckoldry-The State of being a cuckold
Cuckold- A man whose wife is unfaithful

How is he not a cuck?
>>
>>90261793
>>90261799
His wife cheated on him. He's a cuck. He handled it better than most, but he is still a cuck. Get over it.
>>
>>90261793
I though cuckoldry meant not being smart enough to vote for Trump
>>
>>90261297
Orpheus should have read the fine print
>>
>>90261865
Algaea isn't unfaithful though.
>>
File: 1486280985988.gif (499KB, 500x258px) Image search: [Google]
1486280985988.gif
499KB, 500x258px
>>90261761
>>90261793
Both of these definitions are examples of what a cuckold is.

Yous can stop your pissing contest now.
>>
>>90262026
Shut the fuck up you cuck
>>
Aren't there some versions of the myths where Hades is present on Olympus, too? Seems like a lot of variance
>>
>>90261761
He uncucked himself by showin' up the hoe and divorcing her ass and making her the literal laughing stock of the others gods though.

He literally rubs it in her face by fucking her younger, hotter daughter. That's like if your girlfriend cheated on you with a chad and you went and fucked both of their sisters.
>>
File: trulyMegaShades.jpg (99KB, 842x1105px) Image search: [Google]
trulyMegaShades.jpg
99KB, 842x1105px
>>90255669
>>90255963
>>90255738
>>90261344
>>
File: 1483047308939.jpg (5KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
1483047308939.jpg
5KB, 184x184px
Because audiences are too dense to grasp the concept that death or the afterlife aren't "evil", and the Underworld of Greek Mythology wasn't the religious concept of Hell as we think of it, but more like a huge prison headed by an apathetic and passive-aggressive warden who just wanted some peace and quiet amidst all the crazy shit the other gods did. Hades was probably one of the coolest Greek gods overall and Woods' performance shows that side, but it's also dumb that the Disney portrayal and every portrayal does indeed show him as a Satanic bad guy. He was just a dude guarding souls who got annoyed when other gods did stupid shit, which was very very very often in Greek mythology.

The Greek gods were almost like the Chaos gods of Warhammer, just relatively less malevolent but equally as crazy, self-centered, and often dumb or incompetent. Hades was one of the very few "Sane Men" in the bunch.
>>
File: 1333599027620.jpg (88KB, 613x532px) Image search: [Google]
1333599027620.jpg
88KB, 613x532px
>>90259114
>it’s high concept—just lose the Death angle.
It's like they didn't even read the FUCKING book!
>>
>>90256398
>>90256442
>>90256961
There is the interpretation that Medusa was granted power to avoid being raped in the future. For this reason, women's shelters were sometimes decorated with carvings of Medusa.
>>
>>90260511
Grim's goodness/evilness depended on his mood. He had a bipolar alignment.

Hades in the mythos doesn't think of himself as either and doesn't give a shit either way.
>>
>>90257170
I think that outside of whatever the hell Frozen was, it was one of the Disney movies most changed from the source material.
>>
>>90262787
Nice edit.
>>
>>90256278
all the gods have a vindictive side, even the best of us have a dark side and for gods it is times a million

but there were a few gods who were well beloved, they could be cruel and vindictive, but this is because gods were often quite human

athena, hestia, demeter , apollo were all gods who were generally seen as fairly good, not asshole, gods
>>
>>90263088
Frozen was the Snow Queen. Elsa was supposed to be the villain.
>>
>>90263289
Oh, I know Frozen was based on the Snow Queen. Disney just completely butchered the story to the point not even the broadest strokes of the original remain.
>>
File: Peachykeen!.jpg (298KB, 756x570px) Image search: [Google]
Peachykeen!.jpg
298KB, 756x570px
>>90254404
Bitch, what?
>>
>>90254362
>Why is Hades always portrayed as the bad guy?
I think the incident with Orpheus pretty much killed any good press he could have.
>>
>>90255878
It's also worth noting that different cultures have different morality systems in play. Most people think of Hope as a good thing when the greeks considered it as one of the great ways to extend suffering. Pandora did not "save" hope as most people nowadays interpret it. She stopped the shitty world from being worse because we'd actually be deluded enough to think it could get better if she hadn't closed it on time.
>>
>>90265246
there are actually many interpretations even among the greeks, it could have gone both ways, either mans ability to weather the evil in this world and the prolonging of pain
>>
>>90254362
Hades is the Greek God of Bling as he owns all the treasures of the earth. Including his most prized jewel: His wife
>>
>>90265565
thats more of a pluto thing
>>
>>90258164
Rameses did nothing wrong.
>>
>>90259325
This.

>>90256209
I was listening to music and it staring to sync with that webm.
>>
>>90257381
>>90257509
>>90263252
Demeter bringing winter was less about her being distraught and more about her being a spiteful bitch. In at least one or two interpretations I've heard of Persephone was basically being sheltered from her mom by Hades as a result of the kidnapping since she didn't really want to go back.
>>90261659
Aphrodite and Ares kept fucking in front of everyone which technically made him the laughing stock at the time in the version i'd read. I didn't know of the stuff afterwards but I'd love to read it since I've always loved reading myths.
>>
>>90265766
except refuse to let moses people go, attempt to kill every firstborn, and be so stubborn he would rather 9 plagues rain upon egypt than let moses win
>>
>>90265800
most interpretations hold demeter to be motherly and nurturing, since survival hinged upon her generosity

most legends dont say much about persephones feelings
>>
>>90260646
Damn. Nigga could fuel an entire season of Batman Beyond with his bad ends.

RIP Nelson's schway car.
>>
>>90265811
>except refuse to let moses people go
Why should he?
>attempt to kill every firstborn
That was his dad
>and be so stubborn he would rather 9 plagues rain upon egypt than let moses win
You can't cave in to terrorism anon.
>>
>>90259325
You forgot the extremely bad luck trait. He was technically the first born but thanks to the whole Cronus swallowing thing is stuck being the youngest.
When it came time to decide who got what realm his brothers decided upon a gambling game specifically because he has bad luck.
>>90259491
The sky being empty as fuck was actually a plot point. When gambling upon who gets the sky, sea, and Earth Poseidon knew Zeus would just grab the sky because it looks impressive while he could grab the real prize of the sea.
>>
>>90266082
his dominion over the sky is believed to represent his all-encompassing authority, everything on the earth is always under it
>>
It's too much of a long story, but abrahamic religions have been molding the conception of the Devil in the public's mind since the early conceptions of Christianity.
They made Pan and satyrs into Satan just because he was into nature and having a laugh, while occasionally fucking chicks.
Freyr was made into Satan.
Baphomet was made into Satan.
Pluto was made into Satan.
>>
>>90257170
I want Hades and Persephone to show up in something that takes from Greek myth without Hades being generic badguy who tortures his wife. Be the cool Uncle who is overworked because he constantly has to make new homes for the dead because wailing assholes on a hill displeases his wife.

I also want Ares to be a wanderer who helped found Rome after maturing and abandoning his name as Ares to adopt the name Mars..
>>
>>90266687
hades was strict, grim, fearsome, even cruel, but he was above all just

while he did carry of persephone in what amounted to kidnapping, there are few accounts of them actually living together beyond beyond her being "queen of the underworld"

so this allows for some rather loose interpretation for them

ares on the other hand was pretty set in stone, hated everywhere with a passion except in sparta
>>
>>90266687
Ares was legit the most hated god in the pantheon. Even in his main city, Sparta, they kept him in shackles. And how Athena was considered also a goddess of war, but of the good, strategical war, while he was the god of the bad, actual figthing war. Come to think of it, Athena is basically the goddess of war as seen by generals, while Ares is god of the soldier´s war. Fucking brass...

I like to think that after Troy, he just got sick of he always getting the short stick while Athena always got the glory, moved to Italy and married a local girl called Bellona, let his beard grow, and changed his name. And founded just the kind of culture he saw as proper.

That´s why all the greek heroes in the illiad are seen as villains and cowards to the romans. Rome is Ares/Mars ideal city.
>>
>>90255878
So wouldn't worshiping the hell out of Hades be the best option? If you get on his really good side your eternity in the afterlife hopefully won't be too bad.
>>
>>90267517
Getting on his good side is impossible. It was said before, Hades is a cold son of a Titan. Kiss all the ass you want you won't sway him barring a literal miracle. Just accept your fate with everyone else as the world forgets about you, and you do too.
>>
>>90255037
>>90255669
>>90262787
wood berry
>>
>>90267743
orpheus needed to use super magic, and even then hades stipulated that he needed to never look back
>>
>>90257381
>Are there any Greek/Roman gods who are decent people?

Ares, surprisingly enough. For all of his faults, he genuinely loved his children (his daughters especially) and his mother. And did a heck of a lot less raping/seducing than his dad.

Hermes was also a good dude. And Hestia did nothing wrong like ever.
>>
>>90268020
ares was branded a coward and was the hated of all gods, except in sparta
but he wasnt an absolute bad guy, even if he was a total chad
>>
File: Oh Yeah.gif (546KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
Oh Yeah.gif
546KB, 160x160px
>>
>>90267743
This is the guy that's so lonely he kidnaps himself a wife. I think he would be thrilled to have a fan.
>>
>>90268289
He had to have his bro talk him into it and she was top waifu material.
>>
>>90268093
Doesn't most of our knowledge of Greek stories come from Athens? The people who obviously hate Ares' guts for not getting along with their patron goddess?
>>
>>90266447
Baphomet was never a real thing. It was a corruption of "Mohamed." The knights Templar would do a sort of interrogation training where they would pretend to be muslims and force trainees to pledge loyalty to Mohamed (whom they thought Muslims worshiped,) but because their understanding of Islam was so hilariously warped, they ended up basically inventing a ridiculous devil worship ritual that was later used as evidence to condemn them of heresy.
>>
>>90254951
No, it isn't. So kill yourself.
>>
Rape in this case and in many others regarding greek mythology comes from the word "rapere", "rapio", to kidnap. It doesn't really have much to do with actual rape.
>>
>>90268611
Get the fuck out of here. Greek movies were huge back in the day and it had a renaissance in the 90s thanks to the Kevin Sorbo, Lucy Lawless, and Ryan Gosling tv series.
>>
>>90255606
>story is about Death
>lose the Death angle
What exactly did this fucknugget think the book was about?
>>
But Hades is the good guy in that movie?
>>
>>90256442
Because Zeus and Poseidon do most of the raping and when Dad and Uncle P snub you, you can't really do anything about it.
>>
>>90261659
Aglaea is not Aphrodite's daughter.
>>
>>90254362
He was the villain in the Clash of the Titans remake too. Even though he had nothing to do with the original.
>>
>>90254767
Hell, Zeus was actually pretty nice sometimes. Like Like that time a guy fell in love with Hera, so he created an exact copy of her so he can be happy.
>>
>>90254475
Cept hades was in charge of the Greek heaven too
>>
>>90270132
zeus had a vicious streak a mile wide, but he wasnt evil
he took his job of ruling the heavens seriously, and wouldnt hesitate to smite the truly wicked with lightning bolts when the oppurtunity presents itself
he could even be quite wise and even when his dick wasnt doing the thinking for him
>>
>>90254362
>Titan War
>Chronus' sons get special weapons
>Zeus gets lightning bolts
>Poseidon gets a power trident
>Hades received...an invisibility helmet

What the fuck is this bullshit?
>>
>>90270335
but Dades gets to have all the money so it's whatevs.
>>
>>90265064
>Fine, you can take your wife and leave, but don't look back.
>And he looked back.
>>
>>90271113
hades one thing was that nobody leaved the underworld
the only thing he hated more was people trying to steal his wife
him letting orhpeus out with a condition was him trying to send a message that leaving the underworld is not easy and not something that happens lightly, while still allowing orpheus a chance to get out
>>
>>90270335
Full rogue builds. While Zeus and poseidon look pretty, he's sneaking around doing all the hard work.
>>
>>90271002
What does a god need money for?
>>
>>90271503
Status. Hades was the original rich snob.
>>
File: 1419530506469.png (247KB, 283x427px) Image search: [Google]
1419530506469.png
247KB, 283x427px
>>90261761
>>90261793
A cuckold is someone who gets off to watching their spouse get plowed by another individual. Is it too much to ask for people to actually understand what words mean before they blindly write le epic maymays?
>>
>>90254362

I still couldn't really bring myself to trust the Disney version of Zeus.
>>
>>90272503
Hades-Zeus in the cartoon was fun.
>>
>>90272178
That's one of the more recent meanings, but it's not the original meaning. This might be surprising but words can have more than one meaning. If you open a dictionary you'll see that many words have multiple meanings under each entry.
>>
>>90265811
Protip: google "God hardened Pharaoh's heart". He literally brainwashed Ramesse into refusing to let Jews go. And he had to do it several times, because the Pharaoh was apparently too soft-hearted or something.
>>
>>90270264
And he was surprisingly just too. Aside from the manwhoring, he was a pretty good king of heavens.
>>
File: file.png (59KB, 146x207px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
59KB, 146x207px
>>90256386
kek
>>
>>90258362
But is the narrative correct?
>>
>>90262943
Wasn't that what happened with Good Will Hunting? They stuck a full on gay sex scene in there randomly, just to test who actually read the script and was willing to bring it up?
>>
>>90273154
Of course it is, anon. It was made by God.
>>
>>90254844
Aphrodite was the original Stacy.
>>
File: I invented the golden shower.jpg (35KB, 666x600px) Image search: [Google]
I invented the golden shower.jpg
35KB, 666x600px
>>90254680
>far bigger dick brother

That's not what the mortal ladies say.
>>
>>90262787
The aliasing is triggering my autism, but otherwise good job.
>>
File: 1471895025381.gif (371KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1471895025381.gif
371KB, 500x375px
>helped defeat the Titans
>got a raw deal and had to watch over the dead in the Underworld
>takes it like a champ
>does a great job
>meanwhile his asshole brothers are fucking every whore out there and making a whole slew of monsters
>just continue doing his job and guarding the gates to tartarus
>later on everyone depicts you as the bad guy and your brothers are cool dudes
>also the planet your named after is debunked as a planet
Being Hades in true suffering.
>>
>>90255203
Arkantos... AWAKEN
>>
>>90254362
Because cartoons are for kids you fucking neckbeard
>>
>>90267166
>Athena is basically the goddess of war as seen by generals, while Ares is god of the soldier´s war. Fucking brass...

So Athena is the romanticized ideal of war, and Ares is the gritty reality of it.
>>
>>90275685
Frankly I think kids should be exposed to the idea of a grey area between what's "evil" and what isn't. Helps them grow up.
>>
>>90275766
athena represents battle
skill, logistics, strategy, tactics
>>
>>90254813
Tartarus is where bad people go, the Elysian fields are where good people go. They're both in Hell.
>>
>>90254362
Christianity
>>
>>90275089
Look, we all know the animal fucking was just a smoke screen and Zeus secretly sucked cock.

How else did his head get knocked up?

>>90254362
The thing is the most notable Hades story is a kidnapping and rape so while there are bigger assholes around, he, like almost all Greek gods and goddesses, was still an asshole.
>>
>>90275792
Either that, or they'll turn into plebbitors that are "to smart for conventional morality".
>>
File: 2-e1372160674224.png (209KB, 400x271px) Image search: [Google]
2-e1372160674224.png
209KB, 400x271px
>>90254404
>Because you can not make a god of death a good guy in western media.
Uh...?
>>
>>90268611
Of all the morons in this tread, objectively speaking, you`re the wrongest.
>>
File: IMG_2042.jpg (38KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2042.jpg
38KB, 400x400px
>>90272629
Ya like jazz and trying to sound witty but really just coming off as an undeserving cockhead?
>>
>>90275766
I can imagine Athena dressed like a brittish officer, sipping tea while telling of her tactical genius tru the ages to the onlokers. Got a feeling she would like the century brittish empire.
>"And so I filled his head with my wisdom, and the general realized that if he sent enough soldiers to the front of the siege, the enemy would eventualy run out of bullets! And so my peerless tactical acumen saved yet another 30 crates of amontillado from those fiendish germans! Oh, and Ares was there, doing something or other with a gun, who cares."
>>
>>90276436
Athena is the God of warfare as a project. She's the God who makes sure that the guy on the front lines is well-fed and well-armed because his supply lines are secure and well-organised. She governs high-level strategy. Ares is the god of warfare as a personal experience. He helps you kill them other guy and make sure you don't get killed. He helps your unit stick together in the smoke and clamour so you can execute the plan that will win their day without caring what that plan is.

Both are essential, and their conflict is more sibling rivalry than it is either being more right than the other.
>>
>>90276073
>secretly sucked cock
>secretly
Naw he was pretty forward about wanting some dick
>>
>>90261156
>he'd make it harder than just leaving with your waifu.
Because they always never listen to his warning or Not looking back.
>>
>>90254404
Let me fix that for you
*mainstream
>>
>>90277043
Nah. In the myths it is always Athena who comes to aid individual heroes and soldiers, who gives them courage, strength, and wit to best their foes. Ares never does that, and he is rarely, if ever, depicted in a positive light. Athena is clearly the 'right' one in the Greeks' mind.

What you've described as Ares' thing is actually Athena's jurisdiction. Athena is the goddess of strategy and logistics, true, but more broadly she is the goddess of disciplined warfare. Ares is the god of bloodlust, savagery, and mindless violence, which the Greeks abhorred. They recognized that he was necessary on the battlefield, but nevertheless considered him a more barbaric (I.E. not Greek) as opposed to Athena, who was the proper one.
>>
>>90277621
Well Ares got a planet and Athena got a line of Citröen cars, so I guess bloodlust came out on top
>>
>>90277043
She's the goddess of wisdom, craft, impartial justice and learning, so if you want order and progress of any type, it's her turf. Ares represented senseless war with chaos and savagery, which is inevitable, but undesirable. And as >>90277621 correctly pointed out, she's the patron goddess of heroes, so obviously somebody you'd want on your side.
>>
>>90277043
>>90277621
Ares is a shitty warhawk.
Athena is Goddess of War for the sake of Victory.
Ares is the God of War for the sake of War
>>90277808
Athena has a moon that rotates around her dad. And frankly the best Roman name.
>>
>>90277333
The most common iteration is that Orpheus didn't look at his wife until after he exited the cave, but she was still in it which makes it more understandable.
>>
>>90268429
Maybe on the name, but the image was based on old nature pagan spirits, which later would turn into wiccan deities.
>>
>>90277868
>Coolest Roman name
>Not Saturn
Greek/Roman mythology is the strongest evidence that waifuism isn't a modern development, because there were probably hundreds of Greeks who sucked Athena's metaphorical dick like you
>>
>>90277808
You know that owl motif universities, philosophers etc. so love to use? That's a symbol of Athena.
>>
>>90278033
Well yeah, Athena herself is the patron of a lot of universities

But Ares has still has a planet, and that planet was in Doom, so he's still on top
>>
>>90271113
>>90271275
I'm not saying he actually had to GIVE UP Eurydice.

But all the motherfucker had to do was OFF Orpheus, set the two of them up, and go on his merry way.

But that's not mean enough, so we get the world's first instance of The Game and he falls into depression before being torn to shreds by Dionysus crazy fangirls.

Hades might not be as much of a moron as some of his siblings, but he's got a nasty streak in him that could reach the moon.
>>
>>90258943
the word rape back then also meant sudden seizure or taking of something. The persephone myth like all greek myths have many MANY different versions of it all through out the culture. and were supposed to be understood differntly depending on who you are within society. If you were a mother, you would understand the myth differently. A father, once again you would have a completely different understanding of the myth. Myths and plays were told in greek society as parables. The persephone myth highlighted what happened when a father married off his daughter without consulting the mother, the mother refusing to accept the marriage and not being there during the ceremony, the daughter running off to get married and lastly the groom who acts quickly by marrying quickly which leads to chaos.

The version of this myth that everyone is mostly familiar with is the athenian version, which coincidentally, their weddings were almost identical to funerals. Especially for brides. Locri in Magna gracea celebrated this myth in a more positive role, having persephone treated as an equal to hades (he didnt cheat on her, she gained duties and power in the underworld) and was seen as an ideal marraige, and even made dedications to her called pinakes on their wedding day depicting hades and persephone as equals.

They even had a thing for young women who died during child birth or before they got married where they married off the women to death to fulfill their ultimate roll (getting married and having children) in order to guarantee them having a good after life. (done through dressing them up as persephone, or giving them burial markers to make them look like persephone)

Lastly, the western world didnt always see death as the end but a transition to the next life, which is why marriage was used. Marriage is a transition from your old life to something new which can be scary, sudden an unexpected at times. the myth of persephone is not a story about rape but of life.
>>
Anyone like the idea of Hades sharing dual villain status with Hera?
>>
>>90261001
What contest are you talking about? I only recall a contest with Pan and he didn't kill him there and I'm can't find anything else.
>>
>>90261659
Why would the gods laugh at them when many of them do the same thing?
>>
>>90257381
>Are there any Greek/Roman gods who are decent people?
I can't recall Hephaestus doing anything bad. Can't really recall anything about him other than Ares and Aphrodite making him a cuckold.
>>
>>90268020
Kek, so Marvel actually got that right when they used him.
>>
>>90254362
Well, at the time Zeus' acts weren't considered evil. Rape was basically a rite of passage back in the day of Ancient Greece. Hercules would go up to his bros and say "Yo, I just slammed this 12 year old boy that could be my cousin or even brother" and gets high fives or as the Greeks say, kudos.

Hades wasn't really bad either. Just kept to himself. He was like the guy at parties who tells everyone to keep it down because the neighbors are trying to sleep, but still wanted to get laid. Unlike Zeus, Hades was cool with just one lady being sent down to spend eternity with him.

Not a hated figure, but not celebrated. They didn't fear him per se but feared what would happen when they die and the wrath of Tartarus.
>>
>>90278442
Hephaestus is a minor as shit god. He didn't do anything bad because he didn't do anything.
>>
File: 1424219632636.png (465KB, 719x719px) Image search: [Google]
1424219632636.png
465KB, 719x719px
>>90254362
Satan allegory ya dipstick
>>
>>90256076
Couldn't bring myself to like that hypocritical bitch.
>>
>>90278213
Hera's villainy is also pretty overstated. She's the antagonist because she is the goddess of marriage and childbirth, and Zeus' bastards are an insult to everything she stands for. Even then she's less of a proper antagonist and more of a divine threshold guardian who constantly challenges them to reach their heroic potential. She eventually makes peace with all of Zeus' children and embraces them as her own.
>>
>>90256961
>Pygmalion
>creates image of woman he wants to fuck through sculpture
>art comes to life and fucks him
Is Pygmalion /ourguy/?
>>
>>90286447
Yes, see-
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0805564/
>>
>>90278442
Most non-Olympians were actually pretty okay and even the Olympian gods were often justified in their dickery.
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 46

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.