[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just got a fucking Cease and Desist for putting up a Dethklok

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 70155580.jpg (59KB, 665x375px) Image search: [Google]
70155580.jpg
59KB, 665x375px
I just got a fucking Cease and Desist for putting up a Dethklok tab online

Why the FUCK do they enforce the copyright so stringently if they're just sitting on the property doing nothing with it
>>
That's not how the enforcement works.

They hire a third party to just spend all day looking for infringements on anything owned by the client, log the IPs, then send notices out to the ISPs. Basically done by drones in a cubicle. Nobody with any autonomy ever looks at what the infringements actually are, and it doesn't matter what property it is.
>>
File: photo.jpg (46KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
46KB, 900x900px
>>90251344
Well that is my bread and butter you're fucking with..
>>
File: 1487920903245.jpg (95KB, 799x600px) Image search: [Google]
1487920903245.jpg
95KB, 799x600px
>>90251496
I see

I don't understand how a guitar tab is a copyright infringement though
>>
>>90251496
>Basically done by drones in a cubicle.

A lot of the time it's not even a person. Just an algorithm. Which is why we get hilarious situations like publishers threatening Google to delist their own websites.
>>
>>90251496
It's not a blanket thing. Some companies do it because they want it done (or hire third parties to do it), some third parties try and hoover up properties they know don't bother (to get them to sign up for a deal with the enforcer where the enforcer gets a %)

>>90251344
>>90251609
>Well that is my bread and butter you're fucking with..

Basically.

Even if no new material is being produced, there are licensing arrangements to consider. That book that's still on sale? They get money for that, so if you post it online (or the content), it gets taken down. That show? They're still trying to sell it as downloads/home video - your clips aren't helping (especially if they're not making new episodes).

At the end of the day there's probably hundreds of people who work even on a small show and a significant number of them rely on residuals payments - from that show, from associated media projects they also worked on, and from other shows and projects. It gets them to the end of the months when they're not working (which is always a problem for the creative arts).

They may or may not be living in mansions - most probably aren't but even those who are have higher costs of living and, frankly, they worked for the money. They created something - why should you get it for free, or, as so many people think is OK, get ad revenue yourself for putting it on YouTube? You didn't do anything to earn that money, and you're cheating them of it.

Don't get me wrong: if you're pirating that's different. If you're pirating you probably don't have the money to pay for the things you're getting hold of, and if you do you probably weren't going to part with your money anyway - so no sales are lost by you being the asshole. But putting someone else's work up on the internet for others and then bitching that they had the temerity to ask you to stop? That's fucking weak, OP.
>>
>>90251836
You... don't understand how music can be copyright protected?

Do you blow your dad every morning or just when he beats you?
>>
>>90251992
I don't think tabs count as infringement

He's not ripping the music itself and uploading it
>>
>>90251992
I'd understand if it was the music itself but I just typed out a bunch of numbers and lines that when interpreted in a certain way can represent the music
>>
>>90252034
>>90252131
Technically it is infringement because they own the composition itself, not just the recording, so copying the composition infringes on it (most music owners offer official tabs for purchase). Bob Dylan is pretty bad about taking down anything and everything related to his music.

Most companies don't really give a shit because it's extremely difficult to enforce because it takes a tenth of a second to upload a text file.
>>
There's a multiple party shoving match over the rights.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.