[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is anyone scared about how the final season might end up. Don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

File: samuraijack_new.jpg (167KB, 1100x620px) Image search: [Google]
samuraijack_new.jpg
167KB, 1100x620px
Is anyone scared about how the final season might end up. Don't get me wrong, it looks great, but I'm scared that it might end up being too much of a departure from the original show, abandoning the elements of atmosphere and the serene, minimalist dialogue and story, the comedy (especially the cartoonish comedy), and the variety of adventures and situations Jack finds himself in.

I could end up completely wrong on this, but there's always the possibility...
>>
>>90208567
I suspect it will be more focused and plot oriented than the prior seasons, but from what we've seen Genndy has maintained a degree of light-heartedness, and from symbionic titan it seems he never lost his touch for developing particular atmospheres
>>
You kind of just have to accept going in that the small intricacies like that will be different. Creative people do not stagnate and stay in the same place across such a large period of time and even you as a viewer have grown as well. It simply can't be the same.
>>
I want Genndy to let out all the frustrations that have probably built up over the last few years of trying to work on animated movies in Hollywood

I want him to spill seething red rage in animated form, hungry for creative vindication in an industry that will never let him fully tap his talents

I also want Mako to come back to life but I'm more likely to get that first thing I said
>>
>>90208567
We have seen enough of it to see that it isn't. Jack is still fighting robots and shit.

The main difference is the original was Jack's wacky adventures that don't ever matter aside from 3-4 episodes. This new season being a conclusion to the series will all matter, and we see the effects of wandering around having wacky adventures for 50 years in your picture.

It probably will venture away from comedy just for the sake of reaching the conclusion in a mere 10 episodes. But we know the Scotsman will return so that's something
>>
>>90208567
It will obviously be differently structured than the show. Genndy has said it will be like a movie in parts. But from the interviews and footage, I get the impression the atmosphere, will stick to the original. Aku is funny in that animated storyboard adult-swim released some months ago where Genndy does his voice, so I don't think they've abandoned the comedic aspects of the original show either. .

I'm imagining it will simply have all of the things Genndy wanted in the CN show, but couldn't due to the kid-friendly rating. He's also said he still wants younger audiences to be able to see it with their parents, so it's not going to be a over the top gorefest. .
>>
I'm scared too.

But Jack's tale should get an ending. IMO even a shitty ending is better than an eternal cliffhanger.
>>
>>90208703
It was Genndy's fault for jumping into the static and awful animated movie industry.

He has no one but himself to blame, really.
>>
File: aku1.png (189KB, 942x571px) Image search: [Google]
aku1.png
189KB, 942x571px
I thought the comedy was kinda hit-and-miss. Jack and the Farting Dragon and Chicken Jack were fantastic episodes, the latter being one of my favorites of the show, but Aku Fairy Tales was hit and miss. It had some great cartoony drawings but the writing could get pretty cringey (LE BACON XDDD)

I know people fucking jizz over that episode but Tale of X9 also felt too detached and comedic to work as serious drama even though it easily could have been amazing. The dog's design and animation and the whole "sweet thing" catchphrase just felt... I dunno, a little ironic in a way that felt annoying and like they weren't giving it their all.

The dragon & chicken episodes were great because they didn't stray from core elements that make the show great: The inside of the dragon was very visually creative and embodied the fucking amazing world ideas & designs that make Jack amazing, and Chicken Jack wasn't held back by being TEH ZANY and actually had some of the best action in the show - partly BECAUSE it was also comedic which means the animation could get looser than usual. And shit like chicken-Jack wounding a worm that bleeds acid and then squeezing it to take out a fucked up creepy robot rat was both comedic and badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQFLmFaduak I just saw this animatic and the way Genndy voices it is fucking hysterical. He kinda makes me think of Willie Trombone from The Neverhood at the end.

As other anons said it's clear this will be far more story-centric and less episodic. But I mean, the first 3 episodes of season 1 weren't episodic either and clearly followed a story and they were good. I'm sure something will be lost given they won't be doing one-off stories anymore and every episode won't feel like a little self-contained work of art, but I do think a proper, more story-focused finale is needed.
>>
File: jackdvd.jpg (869KB, 1140x1510px) Image search: [Google]
jackdvd.jpg
869KB, 1140x1510px
>>90210657
THAT SAID. >>90208567 made a VERY good observation about the variety and audiovisual atmosphere and I hope they'll manage to keep that element despite following an ongoing story this time around. Above all else I hope they won't get too caught up in "muh plot" and "muh lore" to the point where they'll forget what made Jack uniquely great from the get-go, that being the lack of elaborate story and focus on drawings, atmospheric direction & pure emotion. They need to stay true to their "artist-driven cartoon" roots and away from bullshit talky exposition.

I think it's funny how the back of the DVD sells the show on "intricate stories" when the Making Of feature on the very same DVD has Genndy saying that the show is about the polar opposite. That he wanted to downplay the story that he thought held back many similar cartoons and instead focus on action.
>>
Another thing I'm a little worried about is thinly-veiled yet poorly thought out political bullshit, especially given current events and the general attitude of the animation industry. The Woolies episode I thought was too on the nose even as a kid in how over the top and silly its portrayal of colonization was and to this day it's probably my least favorite episode.

For an example of this happening to another beloved cartoon creator, I remember the episode "The Hero" from Wander Over Yonder and what bullshit shallow virtue signalling it was; especially after seeing a really, really good episode of Kamen Rider Fourze that taught kids the same lesson but 100x better. "Nice guy" entitlement, disregard of the concept of romantic compatibility and treating women like vending machines is a very real societal problem and it's fine for cartoons to tackle such things and to make sociopolitical statements in general, but while the Kamen Rider episode that touched upon it felt like it was earnestly trying to teach kids a good moral lesson the Wander episode instead seemed like it existed mainly to piss off internet MRAs and ensure the staff will receive Twitter ass-pattings. One portrayed everyone involved in an understanding and human way while Wander was cringey as fuck in its black-and-white in-your-face execution.
>>
>>90210854
>The Hero
Ugh, tell me about it

The very end where they all gear up to save the girl from the "hero" and they look over and she's got him hog tied and they all talk about how women don't need saving just felt so freaking lazy and way too on-the-nose.

I know it's for kids but still.
>>
>>90210479
If Popeye were made under any other studio it would have seen the light of day.

It wasn't the industry, it was Sony's rampant stupidity.
>>
>>90210854
Oh fuck you if you don't like "The Hero" opinion fucking discarded that episode is hilarious over the top slapstick centered around an absurd plot.
YOU are the one with the issue of politicization. YOU are the one who can't remove politics from anything you watch, not the creators. By your logic the entire show of Samurai Jack is "thinly-veiled yet poorly though out... portrayal of colonization"
>big bad guy comes from outer space
>takes over the world and makes life really bad for everyone

Stop caring about politics and reading into everything like a 10th grade English teacher.
>>
>>90211186
Except the slapstick was boring as fuck compared to other episodes that weren't trying to "make a point". It was a boring "subverting fairy tale tropes" episode that wasn't nearly as visually inventive as a lot of what came before. I thought it was try-hard when Lord Dominator had to mention "I AIN'T NO DAMSEL IN DISTRESS" too but I didn't bring it up because it was brief and that scene was executed well otherwise.

The character of "The Hero" was boring as hell too. One of the most uninteresting executions of the "big muscular stereotypical seemingly heroic guy who's actually an evil dick" archetype - actually from what I recall Powerpuff Girls did it better.
>>
>>90211667
>>90211186
Oh and as for Jack, as I said the Woolies episode was clearly trying to draw a real-world slavery/colonialism parallel but it was done badly on so many levels. It's not like I'm only noticing it now because I "politicize everything" given that even as a prepubescent kid I thought "they're trying to teach me something but it's not done very well".

It wasn't irredeemable though, this scene was amazing and one of the best in terms of inventive artwork.
>>
>>90210657
Damn, Gennedy really does do a damn good Willie Trombone.
>>
>>90211744
And really it's visual inventiveness that mainly drives Jack. Shit like a fish that you can "drive" from the inside using an organic steering mechanism is goddamn genius and it's what happens when you let artists fuck around and do creative shit.
>>
>>90208567
Can't wait to hear the most retarded complains about Jack having been "white-washed".
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.