[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Miller > Nocenti > Brubaker >>> Waid (pre-Ikari)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

File: daredevil.jpg (425KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
daredevil.jpg
425KB, 800x600px
Miller > Nocenti > Brubaker >>> Waid (pre-Ikari) > Bendis >>> Waid (post-Ikari) > Everything else (Chichester goes at the bottom)
>>
>>90176461
Damn truth.
>>
>>90176461
Chichester wasn't great, but at least he gave us the Fall of the Kingpin. Bottom of the list is totally Marv Wolfman and his weird stairway to heaven alien villain.
>>
>>90178647

So, worst pre-Miller would be Wolfman (who recently came back with a backup story in Bullseye #1) and worst post-Miller would be Chichester?
>>
>>90180150
>worst post-Miller would be Chichester?

worst I read was Kevin Smith
>>
I will never understand the praise Bendis gets. That run has literally all of his worst traits that people bash him for now. Is this a nostalgi thing?
>>
>>90176461
>No mention of Kesel's run

Are you even trying, broheim?
>>
>>90180217

Yes.
>>
>>90180362
Kesel is the most underrated Big 2 writer ever
>>
>>90180217

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Nigga, do you even know who you're talking about? He's the master of Marvel, the king of comics, the future Editor-in-Chief. He has 2 shows based on his creations, Powers and Jessica Jones, and someday Mile Morales will be the next Spider-man in movies or TV.

Sorry mate, but Bendis is the King of Marvel. Those on Team Bendis will guard any and all storylines created by Bendis, or expand on it. I mean look at this shit >>7786999

Once he finally runs Marvel, we will enter an era of Bendis continuity. As long as there's a franchise with a movie or TV show, it won't be safe from Bendis Continuity.

He's the future Editor-in-Chief of Marvel, and the other writers at Marvel know it. The ones that aren't with him are off doing Star Wars.
>>
>>90180217
Try not to look at it in a vacuum. His shortcomings weren't as easily noticeable back when he was relatively new.

I do agree that it's overpraised; with or without context, it's little more than a retread of Miller.
>>
What do people on here think of Conway's run?
>>
>>90180179
What, you didn't like Born Again 2: Now It's Not Really All That Personal?

Also
>Waid
>Mr. Mark "Screw ambiguity, I'll literally make him a blind man with the power to not be blind" Waid
>in any way decent

Diggle may have shat the bed with Shadowland, but the part of his run before it set up things quite nicely, I think, and I saddens me that he seems to be completely forgotten.
>>
I really wanna read the Kesel run one of these days
>>
>>90180487
I've never liked Conway, but Colan is one of my favorite artists. Big reason I have a soft spot for pre-Miller DD.
>>
>>90176461
Actually correct.

... wow.
>>
>>90180487
Conway's run is the best pre-Miller Daredevil run by far, and I feel if Conway had written Daredevil after Born Again his run would have been amazing.

Having Matt and Karen move to San Francisco to deal with Karen's past and Black Widow hooking up with Matt there would have created excellent stories.

Unfortunately he was writing The Man Without Fear before Frank
>>
>>90180525
>Mr. Mark "Screw ambiguity, I'll literally make him a blind man with the power to not be blind" Waid
Did you even read the run?, Daredevil "sigh" limitation was something that was regularly brought up, like begin unable to use digital stuf or distinguish race, struggled fighting Klaw, and it was part of the reason why Ikari stomped him.
>>
>>90180948
Yeah, all the while outright stating his Radar Sense was his superpower that he got through contact with the toxic waste, shitting on fifty years of people trying to make it out to be something that he got from training his remaining senses, with the waste - at the very most - something that strengthened them.

It was even worse with his Hulk series, where Banner, after fifty years of running from the military so as to not become a weapon, decided to offer himself to the military as a weapon.
>>
>>90181270
the radar sense IS a super power. A small kid in Nocenti's run had a similar incident with toxic waste and Matt attempted to be a teacher like Stick to the kid, with poor results.
>>
>>90180450
Honestly, Bendis has fantastic ideas and I think he'd make a great EiC. It's his execution and pacing that make him terrible. Let him dictate macro ideas while other people figure out how it actually works.
>>
>>90181270
>fifty years of people trying to make it out to be something that he got from training his remaining senses
That's pretty much only happens in the Tv series, even back in Millar run his radar sense was separate from his other sense, there was even an arc where he lost it and has to rely only in his super hearing.
The entire point of training with Stick was not to heighten his remaining sense, but learn how to control them.
>>
>>90176461
Brubaker's run was boring. I would put Bendis and first half of Waid's run above it.
>>
>>90181396
if anything, Slott is an ideas man while Bendis is boring
>>
>>90182008
Nah man. House of M, Secret Invasion, Age of Ultron, and Dark Reign are all decent, Bendis-spawned ideas ruined by the man himself. All Slott has is Superior Spider-Man and Blackjack Agents of G.R.A.M.P.A
>>
>>90176461
Yup
>>
>>90176461
>Nocenti
>below post-Ikari Waid

You can fuck right off.
>>
>>90180450
Anon, that pasta is so old even desu doesn't have the link your posting.
>>
>>90182257

Nocenti is second only to Miller, pleb.
>>
>>90180217
Might be a nostalgia thing? I haven't read his DD stuff but I used to love his first USM run but when I read it again it didn't really hold up, it had a lot of weirdly spelled words, the Bendisspeak was really noticeable, and sometimes Bendis fucked up his own continuity or forgot about certain plot points.

It was still better than his current work, thay I will agree to.
>>
>>90182257
Do you even know how ">" works or did you skip that part of Math class?
>>
>>90176461
I would say

Miller > Nocenti > Kesel > Brubaker = Waid (pre-Ikari) > Bendis = Waid (post-Ikari) > Smith
>>
someone should storytime Kesels run
>>
>>90180393
This, 100%.
>>
In all fairness, I like Bendis' DD run. It definitely owes everything to Miller, though. Bendis admits as much himself at the end of one of the Ultimate Collection trades.
It's not terrible, by any stretch, and it's a comic that was in his original wheelhouse of street-level. I didn't like everything about it, but it was an entertaining read for me. Not as good as Miller or Nocenti, for sure.

Chichester's Elektrawank was off the chain, though. As much as people criticize Bendis for retreading Miller, Chichester's run had an artist who did his damnedest to look like a Miller/Janson/JRJr hybrid... Along with the completely unnecessary additions to the backstory of the Hand. Shit, post-Last Rites/Fall Of The Kingpin, the one good thing Chichester did was reintroduce John Garrett. It was actually an interesting move.
>>
>>90180525
>Diggle may have shat the bed with Shadowland
I haven't read Shadowland yet, why is that considered to shit?
>>
>>90184086

It kinda goes off the rails, ruins a lot of good set-up and it was forced into being a larger event instead of a self-contained story.
>>
>>90176461
>Miller > Nocenti > Brubaker >Bendis
FTFY. There was a time when BMB could write.
>>
>>90184258
Someone recently posted Bendis's entire run, are you SURE?
>>
File: bb11.jpg (27KB, 253x227px) Image search: [Google]
bb11.jpg
27KB, 253x227px
>>90184274
I read it some years ago and I remember liking it. Maybe it won't stand a reread, but until then I will consider it good.
>>
>>90184289
That's retarded.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.