[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What if Watchmen Was actually written with the Charlton Comics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: WatchmenCharltonDCComics.png (276KB, 500x308px) Image search: [Google]
WatchmenCharltonDCComics.png
276KB, 500x308px
What if Watchmen Was actually written with the Charlton Comics characters, Like Moore Wanted?
>>
>>90160145
We wouldn't have O'Neil's Question or the Giffen/DeMatteis League. So no thanks.
>>
>>90160145
people would give way less shits about it and consider it part of capeshit rather than about capeshit
>>
File: Watchmen by Hanna-Barbera.jpg (38KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Watchmen by Hanna-Barbera.jpg
38KB, 500x375px
What if Watchmen thread?
>>
moore wouldn't be able to bitch about dc revisiting it
>>
>>90160145
>Like Moore Wanted
No, like Wein wanted. Moore realized he'd leave the characters (that DC had just purchased the rights to) unusable and asked Wein for a way out and they settled on expys.

It would have upset fans of the original Charlton characters and probably triggered the Elseworlds imprint a few years earlier to guarantee the story wasn't canon, and in all likelihood been less iconic as a story because it had to compete with existing lore.

Howard Chaykin's Twilight (modern take on Mystery in Space/Strange Adventures, not to be confused with Moore's unsold treatment by the same name) is a good example of what happens when you try this with known properties; critics saw the edge as for its own sake to set itself apart from the genre it was deconstructing and it's forgotten.
>>
>>90160145
We'd probably have an angry letter from Ditko that would be pretty funny to read.
>>
>>90160711
Yeah definitely double-edged sword. My waifu Nightshade and husbando Peacemaker would be referenced a lot more, but basically unusable and locked into the Moore characterisation. Which is not really the strongest one I see for them. And it would have been worse for the work - I'm in full agreement with this post.
>>
it wouldn't have been as good

Moore himself says he went with archetypes because they would be undeniably familiar to readers while giving him more freedom to develop the characters
>>
>>90160177
This.

> Not JLI
Fuck off Watchemn then
>>
>>90160145
>Like Moore Wanted?

He didnt
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.