[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just started reading Hellboy. Are the movies considered decent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: hellboy.jpg (346KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
hellboy.jpg
346KB, 1920x1080px
I just started reading Hellboy. Are the movies considered decent adaptations, do fans of the books enjoy them? Are we getting a 3rd?
>>
>>90129815

In order of the questions:

1) There were a lot of liberties taken in adapting the comics into the films, but as a whole they are faithful to the spirit of the characters and source material.

2) I do. I know other fans who do. I have yet to meet a fan who loathes the movies, but I am sure they are out there and have reasons for their loathing.

3) As far as I know, nope.
>>
>>90129815
The films are a lot lighter than the comics. Specially the second one, which is basically an regular adventure film, as opposed to the darker and introspective tone of the comics.

But that doesn't mean the films are bad. In fact, they are pretty good
>>
the personalities are completely different
still worth watching for del taco scenery though
>>
The movies are different. The first one has some noticeable meddling of how the "comicbooky" stuff is portrayed. Mignola also intentionally changed some things to make movie and comic Hellboy different. Like the movie one is a cat person and the comic one is a dog person. They are solid, but I'm indifferent to them. I sometimes feel like Mignola and I are the only two people on the planet who didn't want a third movie.
>>
>>90129815
Its very much Del Toro's own version of Hellboy and his influence makes them quite different to the comics. As the previous anons have said the personalities are different and the movies feel more 'Fairy Tale' while the comics are folklore.
>>
The movies are completely different, but they're not bad. They did maintain important things like Hellboy's personality, while totally altering Abe's, for example. The movies are fun to watch, but don't think of them as adaptations of the comics. Watch it with a friend who also likes stuff like that, or Hellboy.

No dice with the new movie.
>>
The only person I met who didn't like the movies said they were "Disneyfying" the Hellboy comic.

Turns out she never read the actual comic.
>>
File: 1487107028180.gif (2MB, 500x459px) Image search: [Google]
1487107028180.gif
2MB, 500x459px
>>90129815
>>
>>90133477
>didn't want a third movie.
why doesn't he?
>>
>>90134073
He worked heavily with the studio to make the movies. It took up so much of his time that he had stop drawing Hellboy. He just wants do his own things undisturbed.
>>
Its not really faithful, and wants to go for a weak conspiracy angle.

But it has some respect for what images/scenes that needs to be adapted. Which is why you get short 10-20 second segments with stuff like Risen Hellboy in the first movie.
>>
>>90133655
I like this description best.
Both are enjoyable but the movies make BPRD seem like a sort of monster-of-the-week show, not that that isn't fun in its own right) while the comics shows the organization as a lot bigger than that. Both work and both are enjoyable but just different things in a bunch of ways
>>
>>90129815
The comics blow the movies out of the water a thousand times over. They could never touch the mood and tone that helped make the comic one of the best series out there.

The movies are fine. Perlman does a good job, I like Del Toro's direction, and the art design is pretty good for a Hollywood movie.
>>
My gf fangirls so fucking hard about movie version abe
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.