[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>subtly builds up a full invasion by Darkseid >actually

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 183
Thread images: 11

>subtly builds up a full invasion by Darkseid
>actually deliver on the premise

Why isn't the Superman animated series as well liked as Batman?
>>
>>90094129
Because Batfags are a cancer.
>>
>>90094129
Even the people working on the show thought Superman was lame
>>
>>90094146
This. Fuck Batfags.
>>
>>90094146
>>90094190
Fags
>>
>>90094129
not enough waifus
>>
File: Superman.jpg (710KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Superman.jpg
710KB, 1500x1500px
>>90094129
Some complained that Supes was weak af. As clever as it was, it wasn't as overtly adult as Batman animated series. The artstyle change to a more simplistic design wasn't as striking as BTAS. The villains were the stars of BTAS and unfortunately the same can't be for Supes where only Luthor and Darkseid left any meaningful impact..

Bottomline, it was a more subdued and safe show than BTAS. However, it was competently made and the best media adaptation of the character yet.
>>
It had less lows than BtAS, but less highs too.
>>
Because Superman is inherently the type of franchise that makes the audience think not "How is the hero gonna get out of this one" but rather "How could the hero be thwarted." Not really engaging for a series.

Also, this >>90094309
>>
>>90094129
Because fags like you never talk about the show but only bring it up to compare it to BTAS
>>
>>90094129
The Batman show was first and therefore gets credit for being the Pioneer.

Ultimately people kinda forget the negatives of the batman show and remember only the positives.

If you go back and watch both shows back to back STAS is the superior show.
>>
>>90094129

I was really surprised by how good this series was when i checked it out. serially underrated, but it has to compete with btas and justice league. is there a marvel show that even comes close aside from 90s spiderman and xmen?
>>
>>90094129
BTAS wasn't even that good in most places, people just remember it for the episodes which were amazing while conveninetly forgetting that the ratio of good too dogshit was like 1:5
>>
That Jack Kirby funeral episode. Beautiful.

And the show had some great variety. Mxy episode for humor, Brave new metropolis was doing the evil superman before it was super played out, and Brainiac has gotta be one of the best cartoon villains ever.
>>
>>90094960
Was STAS where Brainiac was completely reinvigorated as a character concept? I forget if the Kryptonian supercomputer thing had already started by then.
>>
>>90094129

I'm ready to be convinced this is good, what are the best episodes to start out with?

And does darkseid, like, literally invade? Or is it some portal opens and is closed without people coming through again?
>>
>>90095029
I'm pretty sure that's what did it. I honestly prefer that version
>>
>>90095029
It didn't stick too long in comics. Probably because Colu is too cool for cosmic DC to lose. DCAU doesn't have to consider stuff like that because the concepts don't get explored in the same way.
>>
>>90095105
He invades earth twice

Also, just go through the whole damn thing. It's a fun ride all throughout.
>>
>>90094901
There are a couple that are overlooked because they had really awful first seasons, but got a complete revamp in season 2. The 90s Fantastic Four is a great example.
>>
>>90095105
Just marathon through. It's not like BTAS where you have to skip around.
>>
>>90095105
Just marathon it from start to finish, but if I had to choose, go with the Lobo 2 parter. And yeah its a literal invasion, Metropolis gets fucked up and it was saved only by Highfather intervening
>>
>>90094129
It's well liked but it didn't reinvent the character in animated form. Superman was still largely the same superman he'd always been. But before btas any cartoon incarnation of batman had been camp and this new version of Gotham and the Bat was mind blowing.
>>
>>90095244
>this new version of Gotham and the Bat was mind blowing.

It was a toned down Burton Bats. Their cues were taken directly from Burton Bats.
>>
>>90094183
Yeah. That was extremely disappointing to find out while watching the special features.
>>
Is it weird that this is the definitive Superman for me? It pretty much nails every character, and arguably gave us some the best interpretations. Brainiac for example, at least for me, works so much better as a Kryptonian AI. Its one of those things where Clark is essentially fighting the last bit of his home planet, and by destroying him hes literally erasing its history outside of what the fortress of solitude contains
>>
>>90094146
I can't stress this enough. Batfags are complete parasites. And fuck Batman too.
>>
>>90095272

Burton's Batman isn't animated you weirdo.

Burton's Batman didn't create the "dark" version of Gotham or Batman; the comics did.
>>
>>90095301
Yes you have a poor taste but at least you're aware enough to question it. We can't help what we like.

(Don't get me wrong, the show is good though.)
>>
File: Parasite.jpg (49KB, 720x536px) Image search: [Google]
Parasite.jpg
49KB, 720x536px
>>90095303
Actually, I don't really care for Batman as far as heroes go.

I would fuck him though.
>>
>>90094146
fpbp
>>
>>90095322
No, but BTAS was taking cues directly from the Burton films because that's what the studio wanted.

>>90095301
I think the problem with Brainiac is that writers rarely think deeply about what he actually means as a character.
>>
>>90095333
So if you think that's "poor taste" then what would you suggest to get "the definitive Superman" as this anon mentioned?

Because there's certainly a lot of merit in the cohesive, self contained and somewhat more limited Superman and the world he exists in that STAS portrays.
>>
>>90095426
What does he mean? I'm a relative Superman casual, and while I've read some of the stuff with Brainiac I certainly don't understand him as a character on more than a superficial level of wanting to have all the knowledge and making sure no further knowledge can come along.
>>
>>90095390

>That Parasite x Livewire episode.
>>
>>90095436
Post-Infinite Crisis Superman is 10/10, bronze age is good too though
>>
>>90094129
I actually forgot I liked superman before until I rewatched all the animated series + JL.

Modern day DC sure has done a good job to make me hate Superman and Wonderwoman now
>>
>>90095301

Didn't Morrison square the circle in his Action Comics run? Like, if memory served, he had it so that the name and the corps of the entity was Brainiac, but it was all cobbled together by other stuff or something like that.
>>
>>90094129
Superman didn't have Roxy Rocket and Harley Quinn
>>90095505
I hated him for a a while because he ruined my ship, a shame since his one of my favorite Superman villains from the show
>>
>>90095549
That's exactly it. Watching DCAU supes and wonder woman really got me to enjoy them again. It seems to be a good blend of classic and modern, drawing from a very rich heritage in mostly the right ways.
>>
>>90095652
Pretty sure it was just the same world bottling Brainiac. I think Luthor or Lois might have named him though rather than him already having the name? Called himself the Collector iirc.
>>
>>90094901
why do people hate petes monologues in 90s spidy? i find it perfectly fine.
>>
>>90095672
>enjoying DCAU WW

wew
>>
File: 1238215418794.png (434KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1238215418794.png
434KB, 640x480px
>>90094901
>not even naming the best Marvel show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SpWAnBjdNg
>>
>>90094901
uh
>Spectacular Spider-Man
>Incredible Hulk
>Silver Surfer
>Avengers EMH
>Iron Man: Armored Adventures
>Fantastic Four: Worlds Greatest Heroes
>>
>>90095474
A lot of writers treat Brainiac as something of a boogeyman figure that's, in practice, fairly replaceable with other various space conquerors and warlord.

STAS made him a thematic parallel to Superman, another last son of Krypton, which while interesting in the DCAU kinda treads on Zod and the Eradicator's territory in the comics.
>>
>>90095652
Morrison's take was that Braniac was an alien (I can't recall if he was a cyborg or full AI or started out organic and became wholly mechanical over the ages or if the story even specified for sure) who took over the internet of a planet in order to acquire their knowledge before he bottled them. He'd done it to Krypton before he tried doing it to Earth.
>>
I think the other anon was on the money saying that the villains are what made BTAS and made it more memorable.

I mean, I enjoyed STAS. It is my definitive Superman - and a lot of the other characters. It had its really stand out episodes, a few duds, but was otherwise a solid series.

But for something about it just doesn't linger. Maybe it was the lack of extended cast? Dick, Babs and Tim fleshed things out for Bats, but Jimmy and Lois couldn't keep pace with Supes. (And, frankly, I thought Kara was annoying as fuck until her last appearance in JLU).

But the rogues gallery really was lacking. Luthor and Braniac were god tier, but then.. what? Toy Man, Myx, Bizarro and Metallo were essentially used up in their first appearances - their reprisals never really measured up. Parasite and Live Wire had a good run, but they got played out quickly too.

And while the Apokolips stuff was well done, they're on such a ridiculous power level you have to make them endgame. You can't have them being reoccurring threats.

To me, this is kind of proof that Superman doesn't work well as a title character - at least not anymore. He was perfect in JLU as a contributing factor/force, but I don't think he can carry an engaging series on his own.
>>
>>90095474
Brainiac, along with most superman villains are a warped perception of Superman's themes that work as a foil for the character.

Brainiac in the comics is a super powerful alien that comes to new planets and "preserves" them. Only, instead of helping the people on the planet in a normal way, he shrinks a city and catalogs it like a collector and makes sure that the specimens inside it are kept safe without regard for humanity or freedom.

Hes the concept of an alien imposing itself on humanity taken to the worst extreme possible and is usually contrasted to Superman's more naturalistic way of helping humanity as a human.

The comic Red Son shows this, and more recently Brainiac's appearence in the New 52 plays with this concept a bit as well.

In the cartoon they got rid of the shrinking cities thing and they made it so he saves cities by "downloading all their information" and moving on. So a related concept but less obvious.
>>
>>90095887
So what you're saying is that Brainiac has no real niche.
>>
>>90095474
Brainiac is pretty much what Luthor fears Superman is. An alien that goes to a planet not as advanced as it and imposes its own morality to "save" the populous and in doing so stifles and controls them like that planet is some ant farm.
>>
>>90094287
>only Luthor and Darkseid left any meaningful impact
>Livewire, Metallo, Parasite, Toyman, Brainiac and Mr. Mxyzptlk weren't memorable

Did we watch the same show?
>>
The thing that I like the most about the last confrontation with Darkseid is that it was built up over the course of the entire series. There are episodes all over the place that are connected in one way or another to that last invasion. Not to mention the invasion itself, with a completely beat Superman and a totally conquered Earth with everyone saved only because of Highfather.

As much as I love B:tAS, I can't think of any instances of that show that did anything like the above.
>>
>>90095994
>>90096099
Okay so given this, how does the original comment of "most writers don't really get what Brainiac means" work out?

Granted i've only really read stories that are recommended so I'm only getting the good stuff, but is Brainiac misrepresented or mishandled particularly more often than most other Supes villains? It doesn't seem like it's that complex of a character concept to handle.
>>
>>90094183
Damn. That really sucked to find out.
>>
>>90095209
I have to say watching BTAS all the way through was a lot of fun. Seeing where they fucked up and made trash episodes was part of the adventure.

Of course you'd still be totally justified in skipping the duds.
>>
>>90095994

You know your shit. Thanks for the share.
>>
File: 1487653436255.gif (737KB, 200x250px) Image search: [Google]
1487653436255.gif
737KB, 200x250px
>>90094287
>Lex Luther and Darkseid
>only memorable villains
>>
>>90096140
>Toyman, Myx
One good episode each.

>Parasite, Livewire
Good intros, good together, so three good episodes total.

>Brainiac
You got him there. SATS Brainiac was god tier.
>>
>>90096230
I feel like that statement was made by a DCAUfag who thinks that he needs the Kryptonian angle to work. As if the conquering alien parallel isn't enough.

>>90096268
I tried it too, but there was a point where I began to recognize the bad episodes like 5 minutes in and just went ahead and skipped them.
>>
>>90096286
Within the context of STAS this is mostly true though, with Brainiac as the third most memorable.
>>
>>90096054
Modern Brainiac has a more distinctive theme, as pointed out by >>90095994, but I feel that DC is missing out on a very obvious direction for the character: cosmic horror. Not in the Lovecraftian sense, but he's a alien being of immense power operating in a manner that most find incomprehensible to rational thinking with complete disregard to anything outside his whims. And if you think about it, the knowledge he collects isn't of much use in a scientific sense, as the rules of physics don't change planet by planet, so the vast majority of what get collects is cultural in nature. Essentially trivia. It's like a guy coming to your house, kidnapping you, killing your family, burning down your home, and imprisoning you for the rest of your life just so he can steal your videogame collection.
>>
File: 01.jpg (62KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
62KB, 640x480px
>>90095653
>Superman didn't have Roxy Rocket and Harley Quinn

It had both.
>>
>>90096230
Brainiac has been around forever and has changed a lot over the years. His look, and personality and traits have changed several times, but his theme is generally the same.

Sometimes he has telepathic abilities, but they're used to invade planets and control all the inhabitants in some quasi "positive' inhuman way similar in theme to shrinking a city to preserve it and its inhabitants.

Like any character some times in the past he was thrown in to just be another antagonist for Superman to fight, but usually Brainiac is seen as too big of a threat for a one off comic. That means he shows up infrequently and most artists and writers have their own twist on him.
>>
>>90096343
you know dam well what I mean
>>
>>90096322

>I feel like that statement was made by a DCAUfag who thinks that he needs the Kryptonian angle to work. As if the conquering alien parallel isn't enough.

Nah, my fav version of the character is from Red Son. Making him another conquering alien is boring I think. If you want just an alien conqueror use Mongol or Despero
>>
>>90096305

>one good episode for Mxy

Uh...both of his episodes were great. Bizarro turned out to be a great foil for him.
>>
>>90096335
>>90096346
Fair enough, thanks for the lesson you guys. I've always liked Brainiac as a concept so happy to learn more about him.

I guess we can all agree that, James Marsters aside, Smallville Brainiac was shit though, right?
>>
>>90096395
Smallville was only good for Clois shipping and the tie-in comic
>>
>>90096140
>>90096305
Completely miss Brainiac. Personally not a fan of this version of the character, but I can see why others like him. The rest, though are ok, but certainly not show stealers.
>>
>>90096305
And Metallo?

>>90096343
Yeah I know, I was just being a dick

>>90096322
Yeah obviously the presence of those episodes brings the show down, but I had fun watching them. Seeing them try something new that doesn't work, watching a guest writer really not get the message on what the show was going for, or seeing just how badly Akom could miss the mark could be interesting at times.
>>
>>90096468
I think this version is very much an Elseworlds sort of interpretation since it only works in a small context where you touch on the idea once or twice but don't revisit it a lot. In a long run Krypton should be a tragedy rather than something caused by a villain.
>>
>>90096322
Nope, I don't really care for the Kryptonian angle. What I mean was that Silver Age Brainiac was just a standard alien menace with a unique gimmick and most writers didn't really move on from that. The "knowledge collector" concept of Brainiac is only about 20 years old and didn't appear in the comics until a decade ago.
>>
>>90096395
>>90096408
I feel like Smallville: The Animated Series could really have been a cool show, what with Clark's powers growing still.
>>
>>90096386
Nah, the Bizarro one had potential in premise but was terribly executed. At least I didn't care for it.

>>90096476
Set-up was great, transformation was great, and the volcano episode's ending was wonderfully creepy. And then he was randomly back for that meh Steel ep. Then he got jobbed in JLU. B-
>>
>>90095994
It was really about "saving" the planets, its just that Brainiac realized that knowledge was more valuable when fewer people had access to it. He was "deleting" the originals.
>>
>>90096525
But Brainiac didnt cause Kryptons destruction, he merely concluded his existence was more valuable and worth saving. Had he alerted the Kryptonians of the inevitable disaster, one that even he could not calculate a contingency for, they would force him to try and save them regardless thus being destroyed in the process. Its still a tragedy, its just that in this scenario another being is tied to it
>>
>>90096576
>Nah, the Bizarro one had potential in premise but was terribly executed. At least I didn't care for it.

What did you think was so terribly executed? That he was portrayed as a more of a lovable idiot after his first appearance?
>>
>>90096576
>was wonderfully creepy
That reminds me, Toyman should've been a one episode deal. He was never as creepy as he was in his first appearance.
>>
>>90096736
I never was a fan of DCAU Toyman's appearance. Personally I prefer the Jack Nimbal wooden marionette look.
>>
What about the episode where Clark Kent was framed for murder, and the actual perpetrator got the chair?
>>
>>90096812
Possibly my favorite DCAU episode.
>>
>>90096655
Maybe I need to watch it again but it seems like he figured out the danger early enough that they could have saved more lives had they moved quickly enough (admittedly you run into the issue of "who do you choose to save" at some point). But at least probably enough people that they wouldn't be extinct right away. He was just more concerned in not losing the knowledge since we knew he can download himself to the smallest amount of tech and survive.
>>
>>90096841
It was stated that he discovered the oncoming disaster with just enough time to save himself. We're talking hours here. Say he did warn them, they didnt have enough ships to save enough to further the species and the panic would have further complicated the rescue, all choices still leading to Brainiacs destruction. He simply calculated his existence and the vast knowledge of Krypton was the greater good.
>>
>>90096907
That's why I need to rewatch. I thought he mentioned that he figured it out longer than that when Jor-El went to talk to him. Like at least a couple of weeks.
>>
>>90096732
Nah, I liked tragically tryhard Bizarro. I just didn't think any of the jokes were funny, the animation was subpar and the ending was weak.
>>
>>90095287
>>90096247
What did they say?
>>
>>90094129

This >>90094146

Plus THIS >>90094183 especially because Timm and Dini are among the world's biggest Batfags, they sold WB on the idea of doing Batman as an animated series first. So, simply by being first out AND being done decent to well, there's more nostalgia fag and rose-tinted glasses looking back at BTAS than there is for Supes
>>
>Loved B:TAS.
>Loved S:TAS.
>Loved BB.
>Loved JL.
>Loved JLU.
>Loved GL:TAS
>Never saw Static Shock.

Did I miss much?
>>
>>90098458
It's a fun monster-of-the-week superhero show with a few short running story arcs, but it's mostly episodic.
>>
>>90097140
The typical type of faggotry you'd see on /co/ from someone who doesn't read comics.

"Superman is boring because he's too perfect, so he's soooo hard to write not like our precious DEEP Batgod"
>>
File: tumblr_mywfmxov1s1rrkahjo4_250.gif (956KB, 245x182px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mywfmxov1s1rrkahjo4_250.gif
956KB, 245x182px
You know what's funny? STAS has a great depiction of Superman. So if Timm and Dini really did think Superman was lame, they were really professional about it, and did a fantastic job with the character regardless.
>>
>>90094129

Its not as kino as BTAS but I liked it more as a Superman fan
>>
>>90098540

The writer (unfortuantely, I can't remember his name at the moment) who did many of the scripts later said that he came to change his mind, I think it's in the second season DVD or in the bonus content to the first DVD for Justice League.

It also helped that they had a good cast for Clark and for Lois. I know people are really attached to the guy who does Bruce but I was never impressed by him and having just watched a bunch of JLA last night, I think his voice is the one that really feels out of place of all the main actors in that.
>>
>>90094287
>The villains were the stars of BTAS and unfortunately the same can't be for Supes where only Luthor and Darkseid left any meaningful impact..

Toyman was good, so was Parasite & Braniac but yeah Bat-villains are usually more interesting
>>
>>90098800

I just remebered Metallo too, fuck STAS actually had some nice villains
>>
Needed more Lobo.
>>
>>90096343
That goddamn nympho.
>>
>>90095989
Mr. myxlplyx were great as you had Gilbert Gottfired just be himself and bam fun epsidoes
>>
File: batwank.gif (408KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
batwank.gif
408KB, 300x300px
>>90094216
>>
>>90094952
>conveninetly forgetting that the ratio of good too dogshit was like 1:5

this

>>90095029
>Brainiac was completely reinvigorated as a character concept

Yes. And negating THIS:
>>90094287
>where only Luthor and Darkseid left any meaningful impact.
>>
>>90098458
>not even mentioning The Zeta Project

Being Zetafag is suffering.
>>
>>90098458
Young Justice.
>>
>>90094287
The difference is that some of bat-villains have the sympathy points while Supe-villain are more villainous.
>>
Remember when Superman had a threesome?
>>
>>90094129
>Batman fans talk about Batman show
>WHY DON'T THEY TALK ABOUT SUPERMAN INSTEAD?!?!
>>
>>90094129
Because it was completely mediocre and the writers didn't understand Superman, and just wrote in a generic cape character into villain of the week stories. It's only good if this and mediocre post crisis comics are your only exposure to Superman. The tie in comic series by Millar completely BTFOs the cartoon.
>>
>>90094129
Because Batman has the better rogue gallery.
>>
>>90101400
This>>90094183 really proves it, and how low Superman has fallen that a shitty depiction by people who find him lame is so well liked.
>>
>>90094146
>>90094190
What is it with Superfags on this board? I They seem to have overtaken every other characterfag in terms of being shitty. I swear not even X fags and Robinfags are so cancerous.
>>
>>90101516
they are like Hillary supporters, they can't accept that Batman/Trump is more liked and won
>>
>>90095105

The three parter is a good introduction. You can find some of the full episodes on YT and possibly other sites, but if you have Amazon Prime or access to it via.a buddy, you can stream them there legally.

I agree with other anons that the entire show is pretty watchable. I've seen almost all the episodes at least twice.
>>
>>90095652
>>90095696
>>90095975

Grant Morrison called it the Collector and other writers in the New 52 went with there were various entities doing the collecting, none of which were completely the entirety of Brainiac - and yes, third anon is correct, that it was an AI and had been to Colu, Krypton and other places before it took their knowledge. He also connected the Collector to the dimensional attack and said that he was collecting those world's knowledge to save them from total loss from the fifth dimensional attack.
>>
>>90101516
I think they were bullied in school or some shit and they're dads walked out on them, they're so damn insecure lol.
>>
>>90101907
Their dads* god damn autocorrect
>>
>>90095989

Eh you're entitled to your opinion, Bruce needed more support on a show since there were only so many episodes where he could solve a crime and take down ALL the criminals all by his lonesome before it became predictable and tedious. As with the comics, Alfred and the kids also help flesh him out as a man. If it was a show all about Bruce and his mission, it wouldn't work on TV - his only dialogue would be what, the occasional conversation with Gordon and what - conversations with the actual criminals?

Clark Kent has good episodes with Ma and Pa and the episode with Brainiac comic after Clark while he was in high school showed that more episodes of him as a kid (likewise the opening three parter shows this) and/or his relationship with the Kents would have easily worked well. The episode from later on in the DCAU, where Jonn Jonz spends Christmas at the farm also shows this.

Likewise, there was more they could with Lois - the episode where she crosses over into another dimension, where she died and Superman had allowed himself to be coopted by Luthor belies your opinion that "Lois and Jimmy couldn't keep pace with Supes." Lois alone entirely pushed a significant change in that other dimension in less than a few days/day there. If Jimmy had been written better, they certainly could have made him equally interesting - all they had to do was adapt the clone Jimmy issue from Kriby's run into one episode to accomplish this.

They could have used the Planet more, likewise.
>>
>>90101962
>not wanting a series that is just Batman monologuing all the time
>>
>>90101907
yeah, fuck the batfags
>>
>>90100176
I watched YJ, loved it, but it wasn't really tied to the Timmverse much.
>>
File: 1391899994905.png (879KB, 782x600px) Image search: [Google]
1391899994905.png
879KB, 782x600px
>>90094146
Batfags are no more annoying then any other fandom. Stop trying to blame everything on them. It just makes you look like a casual.
>>90094129
It's not as liked as BTAS because it came afterwards. Batman TAS broke the way people saw cartoons at the time so it has a greater legacy. Most people that watched both usually say that even though BTAS had better episodes, STAS have more consistently good episodes.
>>
>>90102019

Since I'm not a batfag, no - not at all. Plus Conroy is grating as all fuck.
>>
Batfag, ratfag, superfag....
This is the audience that admires DCAU. No wonder it's so overrated since it panders to casuals.
>>
>>90103723
>omg is not about muh favorite character so no

Embarrassing to be honest, it's a shame people in this genre only judge things based on characterfagging
>>
>>90101732
To be specific, the reason his actual name is "The Collector" but he was also called "Brainiac" in Morrison's Action is because "Brainiac" is what Krypton called their internet.
>>
>>90101962
>Eh you're entitled to your opinion, Bruce needed more support on a show since there were only so many episodes where he could solve a crime and take down ALL the criminals all by his lonesome before it became predictable and tedious.

>his only dialogue would be what, the occasional conversation with Gordon and what - conversations with the actual criminals?

Worked for Samurai Jack
>>
>>90094129
Because BTAS was actually better? STAS wasn't bad, but sometimes when they tried to make serious emotional episodes like BTAS the whole thing would just fall flat on its feet.
They gave us Mercy, Luthor's lifeguard. There was an episode that was supposed to develop her as a character. Luthor got kidnapped by Brainiac, she and Supes teamed up to find him. Then, at the final fight, Luthor ran away and abandoned her. A scene after that, she still works for him, and Supes delivers some shitty one-liner. This was supposed to be something like Mad Love, where a female character couldn't get out of a relationship that was giving her nothing, but it didn't feel nearly as dramatic. They tried to build up on drama, but it didn't really feel like it was the focus of the ep. And it didn't help that instead of having actual emotional dialogues between characters like in BTAS, they would often end the episode on those shitty "dramatic" one-liners and Superman flying away. Thing like this create a sense of disappointment and incompleteness.
>>
>>90107002
That, and there wasn't much utilizing of their supporting cast in general. You mention Mercy being undersold, but Jimmy Olsen and Perry White got nothing to do either. Even Lois Lane doesn't really have any character development - she's a hard-nosed reporter with a dry wit and a wet vag for Supes when we meet her, and a hard-nosed reporter with a dry wit and a wet vag for Supes at the end of the series. She never figures out Clark's secret, or even suspects, their relationship never gets serious, she never helps expose Lex Luthor, who is also in the exact same position at the end of the show as in the beginning...

It may be an unfair comparison, cuz BTAS has a surprisingly different production side from being made for 3 years or so and then kept in rerun purgatory until the 1997 revamp... but because of its long run and artistic and executive-mandated changes, it felt like a show where things actually progressed. Babs was set up, became Batgirl. Robin became Nightwing, Tim became the new Robin, Batman became sterner and less concerned with keeping up the Bruce Wayne facade... aside from the Fourth World stuff, Supes didn't really have any lasting arcs.
>>
>>90094129
It was very boring most of the time.
>>
>>90096140
>Livewire
waifu material, but not exactly a perfect character
>Metallo
pretty much nothing great after his first ep
>Parasite
great but barely had any appearances
>Toyman
creepy but kinda OP; he intented an A.I. that everybody took for a real person, srsly?
>Brainiac
le jobber
>Mr. Mxyzptlk
good, but only two episodes in the entire DCAU?

There was also that guy who used solar power to rip Superman of his powers and could create holograms. I thought he was pretty neat.
>>
Well Im glad Livewire is slowly getting popularity (partly from Supergirl) like Killer Frost, and hopefully she'll get more comic appearances because of it. Now we just need to revive Volcana
>>
>>90096812
>he's superman!

blew my mind as a kid. that and darkseid's slaves carrying him back to his castle in the finale are the two moments that blew my mind as a kid. nothing in the dcau quite measures up to me.
>>
>>90101466
Fuck off.
Even if they didn't like him, at least they understood what made Superman work.
>>
>>90107868
>Livewire
>Killer Frost
why they look so similar tho? I remember I saw some interview with Dini and co about TNBA and it showed a clip of Batgirl fighting Livewire. I legit thought that was Killer Frost
>>
>>90096812
okay, that one was terrific
>>
>>90101466
>t. snyderfag
>>
>>90099466
Shut up, Kamille.
>>
>>90108087
Because theyre both blue bad girls? Livewire is in need of a makeover anyway
>>
>>90095333
Fuck off
>>
>>90094129
Because Superman is an all powerful God and never struggles, so you can't relate to him the way you can to the multi-billionaire that went all over the world to master everything by age 30 and is able to solve everything and beat everyone ever. Duh.
>>
>>90098539

>waahhhh they dun think Superman is the greatest ever waahhhh

Typical Superfag.

And they managed to make two brilliant shows. What have you done with your life?
>>
>>90098790
Did the guy that voiced Clark/Supes in STAS ever do Supes in anything else? He didn't even do Supes in JL/U iirc.

>>90099466
Other than that one episode of Beyond where he had a weird V head and did Zeta ever show up in anything outside of his show? Or is there some legal shit keeping that from happening? Like who owns the Zeta Project rights? Cause while I don't remember the show the concept seems neat. I mean an assassination/combat droid that uses holographic tech to look like anyone becoming self aware and going on the run from the government that made it so it can live in peace could probably get some stories out of it.
>>
>>90107868
What if Livewire, Killer Frost, and Volcana became a team?
>>
>>90110126
Nah, it's pretty simple. Livewire was white skin/blue hair. Killer frost was, depending on version, blue skin/white hair or white skin, white hair. The main issue was that the DCAU version of Killer Frost was practically a headswap of Livewire.
>>
>>90112592
New Sirens? They would need to bring back Lincoln since Caitlin is a hero now
>>90112617
But STAS Livewire was her first appearance so there's a precedent. What's current Livewire look like?
>>
>>90112432
The Shadow of Apokolips video game, Brainiac Attacks, SM/BM: Public Enemies, SM/BM: Apocalypse, and JL: Doom. Tim Daly is primarily a screen and stage actor.
>>
>>90112907
White skin/blue hair. The Killer Frost at the time of Livewire's introduction was Louise Lincoln who had white skin and white hair; granted, many artists used blue as a highlight or undertone for Killer Frost, but ultimately the only Killer Frost that looks like Livewire is the DCAU version, as the Crystal Frost and Caitlin Snow version have blue skin and white hair.
>>
>>90094901
The French fantastic four may not be as good but is still phenomenal. Avengers: earths mightiest heroes is criminally underrated
>>
>>90113308
>Avengers: earths mightiest heroes is criminally underrated

Not if you were on /co/ for the first season and the first half of the second.

>>90112907
Nah, it works fine. She'd be the tempering agent of the trio like Catwoman was in the original.
>>
>>90094129
Not as good timing
>>
>>90094129
It's just not as good.
>>
>>90112432
What I would've loved from Zeta project was if they showed Zeta using weapons clearly created with the purpose of murder in non-lethal ways or to save people, since it all hinges on his Bourne-esque new-found purpose of not wanting to be an assassin.
>>
>>90094129
Be ause it still didn't change the fact that Superman is a very boring character.
>>
>>90095777

Trips confirms.
>>
>>90096655
>he merely concluded his existence was more valuable and worth saving.

Reason being that he's the repository for all Kryptonian Knowledge. Just watched the first episode. Doesn't say when Brianiac found out about Krypton being doomed, a latter episode might reveal this when he shows up again, but by the time Jor-El confronted him about lying to the council Brainiac said there was only hours left. So he downloaded himself to a satellite and blasted off into space.
>>
BUMP FOR SUPERMAN
>>
>>90094287
>As clever as it was, it wasn't as overtly adult as Batman animated series.

Maybe, but it was more subtly adult. With some exception, STAS handled character interaction much better than BTAS did. The sTAS characters had more believable human relationships. BTAS had some great character episodes like Never Too Late, but overall I thought a lot of the character's interactions never felt "real".
>>
>>90094129
/co/ Superman fans hate STAS because Clark is a person with weaknesses and character flaws instead of a perfected Supergod.
>>
>>90121987
Probably because half of the attention was on psychopaths.
>>
>>90122114
What weaknesses or character flaws? He hardly had a personality. Dialing down Superman's power levels is just hack writing.
>>
>>90096736

>That time when he showed up again in Unlimited and kicked a whole bunch of other villain's asses with a fucking yoyo.
>>
>>90094183
Those guys were horrible. Good thing Zack Snyder showed them how it's done.
>>
>>90112592

They would just need a female villain with earth powers.
>>
>>90094183
Clip?
>>
>>90124440
Hi Snyder. Aren't you busy editing your mess of a JL film?
>>
>>90124313

>Dialing down Superman's power levels

This is already a pretty silly thread with all the comments that are (a) for Batman to win, Superman must lose or vice versa, and that's in the kindest possible interpretation.

THE REALITY is that dialing down Clark's powers had a lot to do with BUDGET, what the Korean animators were able to do. All you have to do is compare the first episodes featuring Homer and family from the Tracy Ullman show, compared to the first few full seasons, to the show just 10 years later.

Also, for all those people who want to credit that Timm and Dini took their cues from Burton, Timm himself has admitted that his initial designs and ideas were.knocked down by WB and they were specifically TOLD to see the Fleischer Superman Theatrical trailers, AND that is where the look and tone for the first DCAU show came from (and, frankly, all the shows following afterwards except for probably Static Shock.)

>>90117352
The very meaning of boring is simply repeating the same tired line each and every thread, every single year since you discovered the internet.
>>
>>90116801
Man, you could totally make a kickass live-action movie based around The Zeta Project.
>>
>>90096335

He also adapts whatever he finds useful to his being imo. Braniac took a lot from Kryptonian tech and adapted it. He adapts the tech of every planet if it improves his exstence
>>
>>90094129
It was probably the most over arching story in either of the series. It even carried over into JLU for the cadmus arc.

Overall I think superman had a more consistent story, while Batman was more episodic. Almost everything from superman fed into another episode down the line. In batman there were a lot of one off episodes, and episodes where you didn't need to see the prior ones to know the story. I think that made it easier for people to just watch batman at any time. There are exceptions like the ra's al ghul and Mr. Freeze episodes. But in superman almost every villain had a story arc.
>>
>>90117352
Did you come up with that yourself or did Encyclopedia Dramatica tell you to do that?
>>
>>90094287
>Supes was weak af
Because Timm loves Batman and didn't want to see his husbando look bad. EVERYONE WAS WEAK IN THESE SHOWS except Batman, and Amazo in one episode.
>>
>>90126067
Dude, read: >>90124611
>>
>>90112592
I thought Killer Frost and Volcana might be able to create a steam bomb, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvSmPqqZB3Q
>>
>>90122114
like power levels have any thing to do with character personality
>>
i love superman but this show was kinda bland

good voice acting though
>>
>>90094129
Not as much exposure.

It did have a god-tier rogues gallery, though.
>>
>>90126326
But how would they fare against a glowing hot 1000 degree knife?
>>
>>90127759
All you need is a -1000 degree knife to counteract it.
>>
File: killer frost injustice.jpg (17KB, 236x465px) Image search: [Google]
killer frost injustice.jpg
17KB, 236x465px
>>90113245
>y the only Killer Frost that looks like Livewire is the DCAU version
>>
>>90094129
It was a damn good show, i liked it as much as Batman
>>
>>90094129

Because there is a subsection of the audience who refuse to give the character a chance.
>>
Why did the DCAU/Timmverse have to end?
>>
>>90094129
It came out too late, and people plain just don't like Superman and his supporting cast as much.
>>
not even most Superman fans agree that STAS was good

if anything I always see them complain about it being a bad portrayal of the character
Thread posts: 183
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.