[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Clip from "Belle" from the live action adaptation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 291
Thread images: 28

Clip from "Belle" from the live action adaptation of Disney's Beauty and the Beast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT1VQkTTT7M

Thoughts?
>>
File: 2CjTczX.png (99KB, 804x490px)
2CjTczX.png
99KB, 804x490px
In a word: Soulless.

Emma Watson just doesn't exude the life that the original Belle had. Her singing is abysmal, and she just looks bored. Her response to the amnesiac seems delayed, as if she forgot her line, and it's delivered such that she comes across as holier-than-thou for some reason. Without her being distracted by a book, the peoples' comments on her disposition make no sense. Plus, again, not being distracted, she's coming off as a cunt by stepping all over the laundry pool wall, getting in those kids' way. There's literally no reason for her to be up there. No path, no stepping stones from where she came from, nothing. She made a conscious decision to get in their way.

Also, why is she going through the laundry pool to return a book anyway? Wouldn't the library or book store be in the market district of the town? I'd almost think it was because the laundry pool might be in the center of town, but looking in the background, there's nothing surrounding that area. She's traipsing through there for no fucking reason.
>>
This inexplicably reminds me of the Popeye musical more than anything else.
>>
Unless there's a secret twist that the Prince and Gaston end up bro'ing it out as they hunt crazy witches and enchantresses down in the french wilderness, I don't see much to care for.
>>
File: little town.jpg (27KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
little town.jpg
27KB, 480x270px
>>90084524

Pretty much this >>90085040. Everything feels off. Compare it to the original version.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovhdfa1sUoM

Belle wants more out of her life, but she still clearly has a great affection and love for her "little town", she knows all the faces, she's friends with most of the townsfolk, and even though they all think her odd they clearly have a great affection towards her as well. Emma just seems very apathetic towards the people she encounters.

There's also the matter of the book. In the animated version she can barely take her eyes away from the pages, even though she's probably read this same book a half a dozen times. Her random run-ins with the townsfolk are a result of her being distracted by the book and being less concerned with where she's going then what happens on the next page. She also can't help but talk about it to everyone she runs into, gushing about the far off exciting places and fanciful people to the baker and so forth.

>OH! I just finished the most WONDERFUL story! About a beanstalk! And an ogre! And-
>-that's nice, MARIE! THE BAGUETTES!

>I'm going to return this book, it's about two lovers in fair Verona
>DURR SOUNDS BORING

The townsfolk in the animated version aren't retarded, they've just clearly got their own shit going on and can't be bothered getting lost in a story. (also BOY are they being on the fucking nose with the Romeo and Juliet reference)

Belle wanders around dazed and distracted, Emma stomps through town like a stuck up douche. Belle is quirky, she's a nerd, her frustration comes from how desperate she is to find someone she can relate to, who appreciates books the way she does. Emma *acts* quirky, she *acts* like what someone who's not a nerd would think a nerd acts like, she comes across snobby, not frustrated.
>>
File: chillaton.jpg (5KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
chillaton.jpg
5KB, 125x125px
>>90084524
this is so pointless...
>>
>>90084524
1. They can't properly pronounce the only French word they were kindly asked to pronounce.
2. Why would anyone watch this? Who asked for this? There's a good and well-known animated film, one of the Disney classics, and everything I see about this adaptation seems like it's just a retelling of the same fucking story with everything that was in the previous version.
>>
>>90085771
So was Jungle Book, but it made money so they're going to keep doing them
>>
>>90085920
Jungle Book was great though
>>
>Monsieur John

God damn Frenchaboos with their honorifics
>>
>>90085543
Why the fuck does this look so off in HD and in motion?
>>
File: disney does it again.png (684KB, 1002x565px) Image search: [Google]
disney does it again.png
684KB, 1002x565px
>>90085920
And they'll never stop
>>
>>90086035
Mediocre and it completely fucked the ending.
>>
>>90086035
Jungle Book was fine, but there wasn't a lot of life in the performances
>>
>>90086151
Because most of the HD Disney releases just ran everything through a fucking photoshop filter. I wouldn't have posted it, but it was the first non-cam rip I found.

I won't even dare show you what they did to the Sword in the Stone.

General consensus is Disney screwed the pooch on the HD releases. /co/'s had this discussion a LOT.
>>
>>90086155
I can't understand the hype. What the fuck??
>>
Why did they pick a British girl to play a French character?
>>
>>90086253
It's Disney.

They don't even have to TRY and they'll make a billion
>>
>>90086253
Nostalgia combined with Downton Abbey man and Harry Potter girl
>>
>>90086296
Granted John Carter and Lone Ranger bombed
>>
>>90086296
Wut? Is that an actual movie too?
>>
>>90086283
Because her songs are in English with an American accent and nobody's bold enough to change the songs to fit the timing for a French accent
>>
>>90086283
She was born in Paris.
>>
>>90084524
It looks like a parody. And I mean a cheap one. It looks like a sketch and I'm just waiting for someone to run in and sucker punch her or something.

It just seems off. Her singing isn't good and there's no character to anything. It just looks like a higher budget version of those shitty disney live action teen shows which I guess makes total sense.

>tfw Live action belle seems stiff and robotlike in her singing expression and Moana sems overly animated and like she's forcing her singing way too hard in the animation.

They need to switch their emoting levels.
>>
File: 1418181955554.jpg (390KB, 730x800px) Image search: [Google]
1418181955554.jpg
390KB, 730x800px
>>90086296
I'm pretty sure Disney could do a 2 hour live screening of the CEOs of the company taking turns on a Taiwanese toddler while her mother begs viscerally in the background, before forcing two underage pregnant girls into a knife fight that only ends when one of them has eaten the others fetus and it'd make a billion.

>>90085040
I think it's fair to say that Warson can't help but come across as holier-than-thou by this point.
Also, know I'm going to get a lot of shit and muh /pol/ for this but
>God damned diversity in Nobility-still-around-era-France
Sweet testicle fondling baboons does that twist my titties.
Diversity should exist to enrich The Story.
The Story should not exist to enrich Diversity.
>>
>>90086283
It's the rule of Hollywood, any person who doesn't have an American accent has to have an English one (but only if they're good guys)
>>
>>90084524
Looks fine to me, not amazing but not terrible.

What are you guys upset about? We all knew what it was gonna be. It's a remake, it looks like a remake, you were expecting something original?
>>
>>90084524

I like it and I'll go see it when it comes out
>>
>>90084524
I have a feeling this movie will range from god awful to middling at best but everyone will claim it's the greatest shit in the world similar to Jungle Book.

And that Beast design is still hideous
>>
>>90086519
As a britbong I call bullshit, everyone knows we only get to play two characters; Villain or Ray Winston
And only Ray Winston gets to play Ray Winston.
>>
>>90086509
>forcing two underage pregnant girls into a knife fight that only ends when one of them has eaten the others fetus
If I ever make a grotesque surreal black comedy animated film I'll be sure to use this. Thank you.
>>
>>90086580
This.
>>
>>90085543
wow this looks shit after they lazily ran it through those cheap filters.
>>
>>90086509
You sir, are one sick fuck
>>
>>90086609
Man a surreal black comedy film about a bunch of Wolf of Wallstreet style absurdly rich people just doing the most horrific shit would be amazing.
>>
>>90086155
what the fuck is a presale? If they bought the ticket it's a sale. You can't pre pay for the thing, you've either paid or you haven't. Are cinema tickets really that expensive they're getting treated like game preorders? You drop $5 in advance to secure a $20 ticket to a fucking movie?
>>
>>90085543
How does it feel to be so autism
>>
>>90086602
You forgot bookish tech-guy/lore spouter my fine bongsman
>>
>>90086602
>claiming to be a britbong
>doesn't know James Bond

3/10 try again. All we get is villains, bond, butlers and hopeless fop aristocrats.
>>
I'm fairly certain most people just want to see the Gaston song and will leave the movie theater shortly after.
>>
>>90086668
It's like reserved seating.

They pay for the ticket online in advance and when the movie comes out they go to a machine with their code and print out their ticket.
>>
>>90086774
A clip is already out, dude doesn't have the bass
>>
>>90086677
It's not autistic - a fucking grade schooler could understand why this live action version feels off.

The characters feel lifeless, the town doesn't have the same charm, the singing and line delivery feels phoned in.
>>
>>90086807
Link it mate.
>>
Everything in that scene looked like it was shot on a made for TV movie's set. Shit looked fucking cheap.
>>
>>90086774
>>90086807
If people don't walk out of the fucking theater at this scene I'll lose all faith in humanity.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh4FMv6qfQM&spfreload=10
>>
>>90086812
How does it feel to be so wrong
>>
>>90084524
She's still doing that annoying fucking eyebrow thing.
>>
>>90084524
Nice to see it's not the trainwreck I feared it would be, but I'm still not sure what this adaption is supposed to add to the animated version. Other than cash to Disney's pockets.
>>
>>90086083
ouiaboos
>>
File: 1344222470967.png (43KB, 432x288px) Image search: [Google]
1344222470967.png
43KB, 432x288px
>>90086864
Oh god... OH GOD...
>>
>>90085543
I get where you're coming from, but the live action clip didn't even reach the part where she actually gets the book you mentioned.
>>
>>90086864
Jesus Christ.
Did they intentionally choose the pastiest, least sexy looking Motherfucker that came to the audition for Gaston?
Him not being being raw, smouldering beefcake entirely defeats the point of the film! For fuck sake Disney, stop it!
>>
File: 1473442912857.png (75KB, 323x323px) Image search: [Google]
1473442912857.png
75KB, 323x323px
>>90086864
Is... Is that what Gaston sounds like?
Is that what the guy playing Gaston sounds like?
Holy shit, how badly did Disney fuck this up? How do you get a guy to play 4-dozen-eggs-every-morning Gaston and not tell him to at least ATTEMPT the manliest Goddamn voice ever to grace this Earth?

Nevermind the fact everything so far LOOKS terrible, it sounds even worse.
>>
>>90087149
We'll stop making them when you stop seeing them.

Get hype for Lion King!
>>
>>90085543
>BOY are they being on the fucking nose with the Romeo and Juliet reference

Did you think the Jack and the Beanstalk reference was subtle?
>>
>>90086794
>They pay for the ticket online

So it's just a typical sale then. Huh okay. thought it was something else from the name.
>>
>Movie takes place in France
>Everyone is English
>>
>>90087261
It's Les Mis all over again!
>>
>>90087261
It's an alternative universe where the Brits won the 100 years war.
>>
>>90086253
All Disney needs to do is slap their logo on their movies and it sells like hot cakes.
>>
>>90086358
It actually looks pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3wJjLXjySg
>>
>>90087208
Little bit, yeah.

Belle isn't obsessed with love and romance, she's obsessed with fanciful far-off places, magic, adventure, etc. That's why she finds Jack and the Beanstalk so enthralling.

Emma going nuts over Romeo and Juliet is about as subtle as a Michael Moore documentary.
>>
>>90086864
WHAT WENT WRONG
>>
>>90086296
Alice Through The Looking Glass, The BFG and Pete's Dragon.
>>
>>90086812
Caring is autistic.
>>
>>90084524
>Maleficent changed the story entirely
>Cinderella was a little more by-the-book, but at least it had some expansion on the animated movie, original material and character interactions. And original costume designs
>Jungle Book incorporated more from the original book and also changed the ending and thus the story's moral completely, for better or worse

So far, this looks like a shot-for-shot remake of the animated movie... except lacking much of the original's charm. >>90085040 is right, Emma Watson just seems bored. >>90086864
Gaston is nowhere near the magnificent bastard he should be in this clip.

>>90086509
>God damned diversity in Nobility-still-around-era-France

You can add diversity into this film in a way that still seems natural and reflects history. You can have Belle reading and discussing romantic far-off countries that the provincial townfolk don't know much about. You can have the beast's castle filled with exotic treasures and paintings of people his representatives met and traded with. You can have a huge ball celebrating the breaking of the prince's curse and possibly the subsequent wedding attended by foreign royalty from all over. If you really want to push it, you can have a foreign trader or traveler at the local village market.

What you shouldn't have is random ambiguously brown people living in a tiny provincial town in nobility-era France as though this is entirely normal.

If you want that so badly, you need to go Cinderella route and remove any reference to the setting as France and instead have it set in some random fantasy kingdom. And even then, it seems anachronistic purely because of the technological limitations of travel at the time.
>>
>>90089122
>What you shouldn't have is random ambiguously brown people living in a tiny provincial town in nobility-era France as though this is entirely normal.

There were non-white people living in 18th century France like regular people. In fact they would be better off as a peasant in a tiny provincial town rather than nobility/wealthy (like the real like Dido Belle) because then they' would have been more restricted by social etiquette.
>>
>>90086864
>Gaston's voice

i was cautiously optimistic about this movie but holy fuck NO
>>
>>90086296
And still they keep their backs turned on traditional animation.
>>
>>90089297
In like, Paris maybe. Port cities. Major trading posts. Not out in cowland.
>>
>>90084524
Watson wasn't a good choice for it, look at her eyes, she has no passion she's just going through the motions, theres a smugness when she first appears she turns and its about her not about the baker but she's singing about him
>>
>>90086864
Such a weak voice from such a big man its almost a parody in itself
>>
>>90089122
The only big difference is the addition of three songs and making Belle more of the inventor because apparently the only way to get little girls into STEM is to slap a Disney Princess on it.
>>
>>90084524
They really should have taken another approach to Emma's singing given how much it carries. At least the energy picks up when the town's people enter.

What actually struck me most in the original was the shot to shot composition.
The animated scene was very seamless. The camera basically follows Belle around town at a medium shot from different angles and feels very immersive. Your basically introduced to the enviroment she's singing about along with Belle herself.

The live-action film feels a lot more farcical. There's a lot of medium shots and random close ups. The focus is much more on Belle and the attitude towards her. Maybe it's intentional but it feels a lot more farcical.
However that's just the first of the scene so who knows how it goes after.
>>
>>90089888
You'd be suprised.
>>
>>90087149
They REALLY should have hired The Rock. He can pull off manly beefcake.
>>
>>90086296
I liked the first 2 movies
>>
File: IMG_2364.png (61KB, 210x158px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2364.png
61KB, 210x158px
This shit has more character and it's a YouTube parody.

https://youtu.be/AJzds6fRfjM
>>
File: aaaaaaaaaaaaa.png (469KB, 1024x571px) Image search: [Google]
aaaaaaaaaaaaa.png
469KB, 1024x571px
>>90086864
>that Gaston voice
WHY
>>
>>90090483
Provide evidence, then.
>>
>>90090624
fucking lul
i'd much rather watch this.
>>
Reminder that Gaston barely did much.
>>
>>90088208
Didn't realize BFG was Disney. Liked that one a lot.
>>
File: emma-watson.jpg (772KB, 3000x3960px) Image search: [Google]
emma-watson.jpg
772KB, 3000x3960px
Will we get Emma's beautiful milky toes?
>>
File: Maisie-Williams-3-679x350.jpg (42KB, 679x350px) Image search: [Google]
Maisie-Williams-3-679x350.jpg
42KB, 679x350px
>>90084524
>british actors
>>
>>90090624
>"Be quiet lil' fool!"
This is great
>>
>>90087261
Litterally just like the animated movie with less american accents
>>
>>90085543
I guess this is what modern Disney it's about.

You can't make female characters stronger without make them condescending, snarky, and passive aggressive because God forbid accountability.
>>
>>90089888
>In like, Paris maybe.
>maybe

There's no "maybe" about it. Non-white people existed in 18th century France. Paintings, contemporary letters and journals and descriptions, laws regarding blacks, etc. They didn't just magically appear in the 20th century.

There really wouldn't be extensive or easily accessible records of black people living in bumfuckcountryland because if they did, they probably didn't interact with anyone significant (thus making preservation of any letters or documents unlikely, same with white bumfuckcountry folk, and making digital access to such records that do exist highly unlikely) and weren't wealthy enough or living in a social circle where portraiture and other artistic endeavors were common. Like most "didn't really do anything noteworthy" French people, they existed but no1curred enough to record or preserve their existence. Were black people more likely to settle in Paris and major port cities? Sure. But a lot of that is practicality: people wealthy enough to have black servants (or who brought black slaves in for trips under 3 years) would want lodgings in major cities, freed black people would have more job opportunities in Paris and in port cities, and towards the years of the revolution the people who were advocating for an end to all forms of slavery in France and something closer to equal rights were congregated in Paris and major cities.

Anywho. It's not like Disney did this because muh historical accuracy. They did it because it doesn't hurt anyone to add diversity to a film set in vague timeline fantasy France.
>>
>>90090624
The 30 minute played-all-day-every-day show at Disneyland has more energy and character: https://youtu.be/zO2uDjmYpkM?t=92

Well, I guess I should say it's Emma's Belle that's the problem. The ensemble in the movie clip are fine.
>>
File: 1429282874622.jpg (223KB, 583x1508px) Image search: [Google]
1429282874622.jpg
223KB, 583x1508px
>>90093215
You actually have to give a shit to be in a play at Disney. I'd be willing to bet every single person on stage there wants to be there tenfold over Emma's desire to be in this remake beyond the acclaim.

>>90086864
>that attempted harmonization at the end
i'm dead
>>
>>90086228
>I won't even dare show you what they did to the Sword in the Stone.
Oh fuck me I forgot about that.
>>
>>90086228
>>90093557
You might want to look for this fan-compiled version

http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/RELEASEDTheSwordInTheStoneOpenMatteOriginalTheatricalMono1963MultiaudioMultisubs1080pBDremuxx264LPCMAC3Shadoe/id/46166
>>
File: 1483816776999.jpg (19KB, 351x359px) Image search: [Google]
1483816776999.jpg
19KB, 351x359px
>>90093215
What the fuck is going on.
I'm 99% sure one of the three girls chasing Gaston is black, but then when the camera zooms in she turns white with blonde hair??

Fuckign what? Why would they do that?
>>
>>90093131
That entire paragraph you just wasted your time typing is a detailed explanation refuting my point lol

There were probably no black people living in a small provincial village in France, fantasy or not. If there were any, it was nowhere near the percentage shown in this clip.

It hurts the people it's tokenizing and stripping of their history, to be honest. You want to add diversity, you do it with a character whose backstory makes sense and doesn't erase their actual history (like slavery, as (you) pointed out), not some anachronistic girl in the background. That just allows people to pretend the bad parts of history never existed.
>>
>>90089886

what wa that?i cant hear you over this frozen merchandise!!
>>
>>90093752
What makes it ananchronistic other than your feelings?
>>
>>90086647
that's just america in general
>>
MULAN WHEN

LITERALLY THE ONLY LIVE-ACTION REMAKE I GIVE A SHIT ABOUT
>>
>>90093752
>That entire paragraph you just wasted your time typing is a detailed explanation refuting my point lol

Th...anks for saying I refuted your point. I don't think you know what that word really means, though.

>There were probably no black people living in a small provincial village in France

There were. The point is that 1) you started out saying they MAYBE existed in big cities, when there's no "maybe" about black people existing in France in the 18th century 2) there are not going to be some extensive records on black people living in the middle of fucking nowhere 18th century France, because they were not important enough to preserve. Same reason why there aren't extensive records of white people living in the middle of fucking nowhere 18th century France. And what records do exist aren't going to be available digitally like records of important people or in historically important cities. It's really, hilariously ludicrous to say that the only black people in 18th century France were in big cities.

>You want to add diversity, you do it with a character whose backstory makes sense and doesn't erase their actual history

And then every movie with a black character, even one there for a split second in the background, MUST be about slavery or racism? (And then people complain OH GOD ANOTHER SLAVERY MOVIE?) Part of encouraging diversity is letting people, especially kids, see themselves in media. There is literally nothing diminished in the fantasy tale Beauty and the Beast by having some random vaguely brown looking people in the cast.

>That just allows people to pretend the bad parts of history never existed.

You mean like how Beauty and the Beast doesn't condemn the Beast for being an aristocrat? If they're going to have the main character be a white female peasant, they should really take care to show how her life was negatively affected by the oppressive regime in 18th century France.
>>
Who was asking for a live action version? Why would you make this other than for making money?
>>90085040
FPBP
>>
>France in the 1800s
>Black people living in the town

Disney stop this diversity shit
>>
>>90093942
History. Limitations on travel ability and population mobility. Patterns of migration. Availability and cost of land ownership and/or job availability in smaller towns. Social structure.
>>
>>90093718
It's because that video is an edit from two different showings, for some reason.
>>
>>90094029
>Who was asking for a live action version? Why would you make this other than for making money?
>Why would you make this other than for making money?

Maleficent made bank, Cinderella made bank, Jungle Book made bank. Disney wants more money, so they're making this. And TLM. And... 7892343 other things.
>>
>>90094049
cost of land ownership?
Wouldn't the aristocracy own all that land?
>>
>>90094017
>And then every movie with a black character, even one there for a split second in the background, MUST be about slavery or racism?

No, but showing a black background character in a setting like Paris is different to showing a black background character in a small town country setting. Because the first one makes sense.

>There is literally nothing diminished in the fantasy tale Beauty and the Beast by having some random vaguely brown looking people in the cast

So why not do it in a way that makes sense? Why force it when there's hundreds of ways to do it in a way that feels natural?
>>
>>90093752
>There were probably no black people living in a small provincial village in France, fantasy or not. If there were any, it was nowhere near the percentage shown in this clip.
>all the inaccuracies in this clip

why don't you bitch about thoooooooooooooose
>>
>>90094126
Farming peasants did hold some ownership of land.
>>
>>90094141
Because that's not what this conversation is about :^)
>>
God her singing is just so much worse compared to the original
>>
File: trumpeter.jpg (39KB, 466x616px) Image search: [Google]
trumpeter.jpg
39KB, 466x616px
>>90094046
There were a lot of black people living in Western Europe by the 1800s. Enough that seeing one or two in a small village wasn't impossible..

>>90093752
>You want to add diversity, you do it with a character whose backstory makes sense and doesn't erase their actual history

Here is the actual history: France intermingled with the Berbers, North Africans frequented Western Europe, and soldiers returning from Napoleon's conquests retired in the farmland as soldiers often do.
>>
File: Men write us so well.jpg (40KB, 320x307px) Image search: [Google]
Men write us so well.jpg
40KB, 320x307px
>>90085040

Agreed, by not involving the book part, it seems more like she's going to have to learn a lesson about humility or some shit like that. She wasn't a stuck up bitch in the original, she didn't have to be one in this one in order to learn something...jeesus.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LwuFHik2Mk
>>
>>90094341
awful
>>
>>90094341
>the way she says alarming
>doesn't laugh when she says prince charming

throw it in the trash
>>
>>90094274
>France intermingled with the Berbers
In southern port and trading cities

>North Africans frequented Western Europe
In significant port and trading cities. Why travel to farmland where no one can afford what you're selling?

>soldiers returning from Napoleon's conquests retired in the farmland as soldiers often do
Because the Grande Armée was so heavily dominated by Africans, of course.
>>
>>90094049
>History

Black people lived in France. You can't decide they couldn't possibly live in a small town just because it doesn't suit your idea of history. Especially considering the extensive laws regarding black people in France, clinging to this idea of "oh well uhhh they all existed in Paris and big cities, no small towns ever!" is just bizarre.

>Limitations on travel ability and population mobility.

Who's to say they weren't born there? In France, if a white unmarried man began a relationship with a slave, they had to get married--and the woman was then automatically a freed person and any children resulting from the union were free. There are plenty of other ways that slaves could become free (for instance if you were named as a tutor to master's children, you were considered a freed person) and in France, a freed black person had the same legal rights as French subjects and were considered French subjects.

The only travel limitations would be the same as those imposed on white people.

>Availability and cost of land ownership and/or job availability in smaller towns

You didn't have to own land to live in a small town. Small towns needed people to perform jobs, and there are plenty of ways a black man or woman might etch out a living in a small town.

>Social structure.

Social structure didn't stop black people from existing in France. Hell, laws forbidding further immigration of blacks in the 1770s didn't stop black people from existing and the black population growing in France.
>>
>>90094128
>Because the first one makes sense.

You're basing it "not making sense" on a false perception of history.

>Why force it when there's hundreds of ways to do it in a way that feels natural?

You're the one perceiving it as "forced" because, oh my god, oh my god stop the presses, they showed some black people in the background.

You don't care about historical accuracy, because you don't have a single complaint about all the other historical problems in that clip. You know what your problem is, and I suggest you deal with it yourself.
>>
>>90094451
This is all speculation on your part so far with little concrete evidence provided, so forgive me if I'm unconvinced.

Even if there isn't much written in the history books about peasants in small towns specifically, detailed family registers and transaction records did exist. If you really can't find any evidence that black people were living in significant numbers in small country French towns in the 18th century, what does that tell you?
>>
>>90094493
What's false about my perception? With evidence, please, not just speculation.
>>
File: 1482974271097.jpg (138KB, 663x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1482974271097.jpg
138KB, 663x1600px
>thread devolved into a french /his/ thread
>>
>>90094410
>In southern port and trading cities

And would migrate elsewhere over the generations.

>In significant port and trading cities. Why travel to farmland where no one can afford what you're selling?

Because people were also crafters and agrarian society needs people to fix and repair things. Historically migrants were more likely to be hunters and trappers. And religion also employed emmigrants as oblate who lived in remote society copying texts or doing basic services.

>Because the Grande Armée was so heavily dominated by Africans, of course.

All you need is a couple hundred and France recruited anyone who wanted to fight. The majority of them coming from the Iberian peninsula where Africans frequented.

Here's the thing: black people lived in France in the 1800s therefor it is not historically inaccurate to have one in the background of a movie. You're saying it's impossible when it is only improbable and that's all that matters.
>>
File: JustbeinHonest.gif (655KB, 245x204px) Image search: [Google]
JustbeinHonest.gif
655KB, 245x204px
it does kind of feel like everyone's got a mix of victorian english stereotype going on with a little bit of a fake french accent. it's weird.
>>
>>90094559
> If you really can't find any evidence that black people were living in significant numbers in small country French towns in the 18th century, what does that tell you?

What is "significant numbers?" Even if it's only .0001% of the population that's still several thousand people, enough to plausibly have one or two in a small village.
>>
>>90085040
>ithout her being distracted by a book, the peoples' comments on her disposition make no sense. Plus, again, not being distracted, she's coming off as a cunt by stepping all over the laundry pool wall, getting in those kids' way.

I hated the clip, but I disagree here. She doesn't have the book in the animated version at this point in the song. She doesn't really acted super distracted either, just a bit whimsical. Emma's Belle is a bit more 'real world' whimsical, stopping to feed and pet the horse, jumping on the skipping stones, jumping up on the fountain just 'cause, etc.
>>
>Gaston is fucked; not muscular at all, not tall, no deep voice
>Beast is fucked; not scary, not large or beastly, in fact he looks more passablethan most of the people I see everyday
>the servants are too fucking intricate to look at
>Belle is loosing what made Belle, Belle

I'm still going to see it because it clearly had a lot of effort and heart into it. Still fucking sucks that it's shaping out the way it is. Hopefully the trailers are just misleading
>>
>/co/ hates this
I liked it
>>
Even this is better:

https://youtu.be/AJzds6fRfjM
>>
>>90085229
That sounds amazing.
>>
>>90094645
>And would migrate elsewhere over the generations
Which would take a very long time in that time period, given how slow social mobility was. Same goes for your second point.

>Here's the thing: black people lived in France in the 1800s therefor it is not historically inaccurate to have one in the background of a movie. You're saying it's impossible when it is only improbable and that's all that matters.

So why not show them in a setting that isn't improbable, and instead highlight a setting where it would actually have been quite likely?

Again, there will surely be some kind of ball or celebration at the end of the movie. It would make a lot of sense to host foreign royalty at that point, with the added bonus of allowing people of colour to enjoy named roles of some importance.

Or if Disney had the guts to actually change the story and do something a little different with this movie, you could have Belle actually traveling to the fantastic places she reads about and longs to explore. At the very least, you could have her travel to a larger city, where a black population isn't improbable, it's likely.

But Disney is lazy and does the bare minimum for diversity by arbitrarily shoving unnamed, ambiguous brown characters in the background, and you are lazy in pretending that it's progressive.

Note that I'm not against the black actors playing named roles as the prince's household staff, because that's not just improbable.
>>
>>90094559
>detailed family registers and transaction records did exist.

I have to ask: are you even reading the comments? They aren't going to digitize records from random tiny villages that may not even still exist in present day France. France is just now beginning to digitize records related to royalty, for goodness sake. And that's assuming the family registers indicate their race.

>If you really can't find any evidence that black people were living in significant numbers in small country French towns in the 18th century, what does that tell you?
>living in significant numbers

You're changing the goal posts now. First you implied that black people didn't live in 18th century France at all (Paris "MAYBE") and then you changed it to well, okay, they might have been in big cities but not small towns. And now it's they had to be living in "significant numbers" in small towns.

>>90094587
>What's false about my perception?

You are saying that despite the fact that black people had enough presence in France to dictate laws being made regarding them (who they could marry, what rights they had, if they could immigrate, if/when they could be considered freed, etc) they only--ONLY!--lived in big cities and never small towns. Ever. That is a false perception of history. You can say "b-b-b-but provide evidence" all you want, but you're the one who is making a ridiculous claim.
>>
>>90094915
>Belle actually traveling to the fantastic places she reads about and longs to explore.
>a woman exploring in 18th century France

Wow, that's so inaccurate. That really presents a false picture of history and trivializes the bad history regarding women's places in 18th century France.
>>
>>90094699
In the original, she seems dazed and daydreaming about fantasies, and what her life could be instead of the life she has right now. She slowly walks to the library, hitches a free ride on a wagon and gazes up at the sky, questioning if her small life in this small village could be anything more than what it is.

In the clip though, she's happy. Petting horses, jumping on stones and walking on ledges as if she actually likes living there. And she moves with energy, not contemplation. It seems like she knows the town's routine and is completely content with it.

I honestly hope the trailers are just very bad at trailering, and the movie turns out okay. I want my Aladdin
(not the guy you are responding to)
>>
>>90094698
Significant as in more than "and this one time we had a black dude visit us for a few days". Evidence of some kind of fixed community, or one or two families residing in the area at least.

Your figures are still speculation with no evidence.
>>
>>90086864
He doesn't look a remote bit like gaston
>>
>>90084524
Why is Belle so smug and sarcastic?
>>
>>90084524
Why is she showing her bloomers to everyone?
>>
>>90094976
The 'maybe' was more an expression of speech... not meant as an implication that black people never lived in 18th century France. Just to clear that up.

I'm sure that in the entire history of France, a few black people lived in a small town at one point. But that would have been extremely rare.

I hope that cleared up what my perception actually is for you.
>>
>>90095017
>A princess visiting foreign lands
Not so unlikely at all
>>
>>90086938
underrated post
>>
>>90095026
You're moving the goalpost. There is enough irrefutable evidence to know that African families lived in France. Therefor it is not historically inaccurate, as you claim, to have them in the background of a fantasy movie.
>>
>>90095081
because she's an empowered independent woman duh! you got a problem with that shitlord?
>>
>>90095195
There is no irrefutable evidence that they lived in small country towns (except possibly a very rare few, and that is speculation) and you have not provided evidence to the contrary yet.
>>
>>90095104
The same people who bitch about Emma Watson secretly fetishize her because they grew up with Hermione Granger. If the movie flops it's because it looks really bad but nostalgia is strong.
>>
Literally an anon in this thread who's very much okay with animate candelabras, magical roses and an entire town being ignorant about the very existence of their sovereign but is basically like "If I see a single nigga in this small town I'm gonna need hard documents to support that decision"
>>
>>90084524
>>90085543
Hmm, I still prefer the parody versions.
https://youtu.be/Q8VYC-ngYm4
>>
>>90094915
Nothing I saw in that clip screams historically inaccurate. Or at least any more inaccurate than anything else.

>Brown schoolboy

He could have been the son of a servant or former servant, sent to school for an education. Marie Antoinette was 'gifted' an African boy intended to be a servant and sent him to a boarding school in the country to get an education instead.

>2 black girls doing laundry

And? They could be the daughters of servants or slaves or a free couple living in the town.
>>
>>90095297
I mean if you want to support Disney's lazy and performative diversity instead of demanding more from them, be our guest, be our guest, put your white guilt to the test
>>
I don't think it's fair to judge the live action one so strictly on the original. There's things that the original masterpiece would never be able to be surpassed on, most notably Gaston, no real person would be able to star in a role that would do him justice. I'll just wait until I see the actual film to say anything about it, I might be surprised and enjoy some aspects of it more than the original, but I highly doubt it will be better than the original overall, it's my favorite movie of all time and dethroning it would be a massive feat.
>>
>>90095160
>Not so unlikely at all

Could you give some evidence for French princesses visiting foreign lands to explore?
>>
>>90095330
>>90095339 same answer for you
>>
>>90095357
Eleanor of Aquitaine
>>
>>90084524
WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA?
>>
>>90095225
Once again, you're moving the goalpost. It is not a historical inaccuracy to depict black people in a French town. The lack of evidence doesn't deny their existence only exact numbers.
>>
>>90095410
I'm supposed to accept "they existed because I say so"?
>>
it doesn't surprise me emma's blowing it.

even her fucking doll looks horrible.
>>
>>90095477
POST IT
>>
>>90084524
WHY IS BELLE SO FAT
>>
>>90095225
>There is no irrefutable evidence that they lived in small country towns

Why do you need "irrefutable evidence" for common sense? There were thousands of black people living in France in the 18th century. Enough to where there were laws regarding interracial marriage, the status of mixed race children, what rights black people had, how long slaves could stay in France, etc etc. To say that they didn't live in small country towns based on a false perception of history (the perception being that black people didn't exist in spaces where they were not the privileged majority) is making an outrageous claim.
>>
File: C1mY_n3XEAAxXD1.jpg (28KB, 411x480px) Image search: [Google]
C1mY_n3XEAAxXD1.jpg
28KB, 411x480px
>>90095524
I'm not even kidding, this is how it looks at the Disney Store.
>>
>>90095339
I just discovered the script for this film online and I think you'll be happy.

>Belle purchases bread from a dark skinned woman named Annette.

>Belle: And where do you hail from neighbor I've seen for the past 5 years but now want to know better?

>Annette: My father was a Moroccan living in Spain who joined the army of the Alps. He retired after 4 years to this small village to become a farrier, making horsehoes for your father. In the meantime he married an Austrian refugee and that is how I and my three siblings came to be in your crossroads village of 5,000 sitting outside of a major castle. Here is a sample of blood and certificate of authenticity.

>Belle turns towards the camera and winks. White nerds in the audience nod their heads in approval, their immersion maintained and suspension of disbelief intact as a cartoon lamp slaps a cartoon clock.
>>
>>90094699
You do have a point about the book, that's my bad.

Still, as >>90095023 said, the way she's going about her business is definitely not good enough reason for the entire town to gossip about her. She's not doing anything out of the ordinary (except bugging those kids, rude), but the townsfolk are acting like she's some alien, but she just seems content living there more than anything.

In the original, she's looking around wide eyed, contemplative even, and appears to very much be marching to the beat of her own drum compared to everyone else in town being very driven with their morning routine. She's taking her time, swaying about, just taking the morning in, while everyone else is in a hurry or even in a panic.

But Emma just has her head forward and marching onward with intent and focus. She's not "dazed and distracted" at all. She's taking an asinine route to the book store, but she's still making conscious decisions in where she's going and to jump on stones and... I keep bringing it up but seriously, what the fuck is with her getting up in those kids' business at the laundry pool? That's gonna bother me forever. If they were on the ground or something, I could sort of get it, but they're standing and doing laundry on that wall. Gets my 'tism boiling.
>>
>>90085040
>that she comes across as holier-than-thou for some reason
I hear she's kind of a righteous stuck up cunt to begin with so maybe that's it.

Course that's just rumors
>>
>>90095384
Please provide evidence that Eleanor of Aquitaine visited foreign lands to explore.
>>
Who cares if it's accurate or not, it's a fantasy movie. It's got magic in it
>>
>>90095460
You already admitted that Africans migrated to France. I'm just helping you draw the lines to how they moved around the country as they fought in the French military or applied their manual trades elsewhere.
>>
>>90094029
No one. Nostalgia is easy money to cash in on.

Plus they probably ran out of ideas for the short while
>>
>>90095363
>provide evidence that it's not historically inaccurate
>UH WELL THAT DON'T MATTER LOL WHITE GUILT

Haha, wow.
>>
>>90087754
false, Alice, Pete's Dragon, and The BFG flopped hard, and I'm sure if I gave a shit I can think of other examples.
>>
>>90095552
How is it at all common sense? There was little to no incentive for them to migrate to small country towns from thriving cities in a time period where the overwhelming movement of people was toward the cities.
>>
>>90084524

Anybody have the the image form the /tv/ thread that has her look exactly like a rule 63 Gaston ?
>>
>>90095023
>I honestly hope the trailers are just very bad at trailering

They are. If there's one thing you can count on from Disney, it's that their marketing is awful. They're certainly great at making you aware that their movies exist and selling merchandise, which I guess is the point of marketing, but the trailers are nearly always awful, and rarely representative of the movies they're advertising.

/co/'s kind of losing their mind about it, but honestly, I think it's going to be fine. Probably won't be as good as the original, but live action remakes rarely are.
>>
>>90095620
She participated in the second crusade
>>
>>90095618
she made a huge speech about not judging women by their cloths then immediately judged a woman by her clothing on twitter. She is.
>>
>>90095460
You're supposed to accept it because

-There were thousands of black people living in France
-Their presence had enough of an impact that laws regarding their legal rights, marriages, children, etc, were passed; this is in addition to contemporary documents referring to the presence of black people in France, usually related to "omg black people and white people keep having babies and something must be done!"
-There were no legal limitations forbidding them from living in small towns
-There were no legal limitations forbidding freed black people from having the same rights as ordinary French citizens (you could attend schools, get jobs, etc)
-There are numerous realistic ways that a black person or black family could end up in a small town

So, yes, when you say "they didn't live in small towns!" and stamp your feet, you are saying so against all common sense and historical reason.
>>
>thread is a thinly veiled excuse to complain about women existing
Gee what a shock.
>>
>>90086155

Beast does not look right with human lips.
>>
>>90095657
Lazy

>>90095598
It would be an interesting addition to the worldbuilding if scripted better.
>>
>>90095691
I don't even think Beauty and the Beast or the Lion King are that great. But the fact that they're able to sell people on hyper-literal remakes not even 30 years after the original release is vexing. I wish this entire trend could've been killed in the cradle by having any one of their numerous recent failures hit the jackpot.
>>
>>90095699
A queen joining her husband while he went on Crusades (a political, religious and diplomatic venture) is not anywhere near a French princess visiting foreign lands to explore.
>>
>>90095678
Who said they had to "migrate" to small country towns? Do you think all white people migrated to small country towns?
>>
>>90086327
>tfw you actually liked John Carter
>>
>>90095670
>Alice

Bad writing and a Jonny Depp boycott affected it, it also got bad reviews.

>Pete's Dragon

Live-action remake of a bad live-action/animated film, but got good reviews.

>The BFG

Movie based off of a Roald Dahl book that already had one. But like Pete's Dragon, it also got good reviews.
>>
>>90095719
Except that it's not common sense or historical reason, for reasons I've pointed out multiple times. So unless you can provide actual evidence, there's no reason to believe this is anything more than your speculation.
>>
>>90084524
Why the fuck do people like Emma Watson again? Bitch only has two emotions, somewhat upset and smugger than an anime reaction image.
>>
>>90095670
>Alice
>flopped hard

I'm assuming you're talking about the second film
>>
>>90095761
>It would be an interesting addition to the worldbuilding if scripted better.

Yes, this exchange is sorely needed for this movie to be good. A witch cursing a kid to become a literal monster until he finds true love is historically accurate and possible but I need at least 1,000 words on these black chicks.
>>
>>90095798
No, I think most of them were born there because they were the native inhabitants of the land for thousands of years
>>
>>90084524
Almost looks like a commercial or something.

I was half expecting the end to have her holding Trident gum up and smiling while her teeth sparkle.
>>
>>90095781
Any political, religious, or diplomatic venture into a foreign land provides some medium of exploration
>>
>>90095843
I can't see how interesting worldbuilding over performative anachronism is in any way a negative, but again

Lazy.
>>
>>90095812
>Except that it's not common sense or historical reason,
>literally given a list of historical context
>NO IT'S NOT HISTORICAL REASON

And considering how far you've moved the goalposts in this thread, no evidence will ever appease you.
>>
>>90095866
It's the weird lighting.
>>
>>90095844
Kind of like how a black person could live in a small town because their parents or grandparents or great-grandparents and so on lived there too, huh?
>>
>>90095897
Your historical context doesn't make sense when considering migration patterns of the time, so no, it's not reason.

If a shred of evidence existed it would, but the apparent lack thereof is pretty damning.
>>
>>90095869
>Any political, religious, or diplomatic venture into a foreign land provides some medium of exploration

So what political, religious or diplomatic venture could possibly coincide with Belle's story? A woman of Belle's status, in 18th century France, would not be visiting foreign lands to explore.
>>
>>90095895
>doesn't care about inaccurate costumes, hairstyles, bread, town layout, laundry, etc
>some black people in the background who conceivably could exist in a proviancial town in 18th century France
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE MUH ACCURACY
>>
>>90095933
Sure. But how did their parents/grandparents (to say nothing of great-grandparents) get there in that time period, with the slow and limited social mobility? Why would they have chosen to live there when there was far more incentive to move to or remain in larger cities? Given this, what is the actual likelihood of black families living in small provincial towns in France in the 18th century or earlier?
>>
>>90095971
Your husband has finally regained his rulership after many years of being shut away neglecting your lands and diplomatic ties. I can't imagine the two of you would ever need to undergo extensive social and diplomatic expeditions following that.
>>
>>90095595

It's not all that bad, jesus.
http://www.toysrus.com/products/beauty-and-the-beast-toys.jsp
>>
>>90096013
No one is trying to pass those off as progressive, or indeed, pretending they are accurate
>>
>kids 20 years ago grew up with animated Disney movies
>kids growing up now growing up with lazy live action adaptions of existing movies
If you have kids I really hope you show them Beauty and the Beast. Its genuinely a good movie and this shit is tragic
>>
>>90095959
>when considering migration patterns of the time
>If a shred of evidence existed it would, but the apparent lack thereof is pretty damning.

Your complete lack of understanding of historiography and 18th century France and just human society is actually astounding. Like, really. I'm astounded.

It is not incomprehensible or impossible or outrageous that there would be some non white people in a French country town. There are many ways black people could have ended up living in a country town in 18th century France. Master moved there and decided to free them or master moved there and ended up free because of Code Noir laws which had certain automatic freedom clauses or single man had sex with them and thus made them and their descendants automatically free, they're a child whose parents were free, sent there as a child for school and ended up staying, etc etc etc.

You're just ignoring them and declaring that there's no evidence, despite saying that they only lived in cities with no evidence, because... ? Weird racism about not wanting some random black people in the background of your Disney film unless they're slaves? Bored? Stubborn as fuck about being wrong? Take your pick.
>>
>>90096308
Speculation, speculation, more speculation, still no evidence.

I mean, the fact that a lot of this reasoning requires legal procedure to take place alone should provide some form of written evidence, but where is it?
>>
This is a nice thread and all. Hate to ruin it but if youre not going to this opening weekend then it pretty much means you have no girlfriend
>>
>>90096110
Wow, that's speculation! Speculation isn't evidence. Can you provide evidence that something like this ever happened?

Also, he's a prince in countryside 18th century France. Prince is just an aristocratic title. He isn't ruling the country or anything, really, other than getting some free labor and a bit of money from peasants on his land. French princesses in the 18th century did not travel outside their country unless they were leaving to marry or, in Eleanor's case which was hundreds of years prior and in a completely different context as well, going on a political mission with her husband. Or, once the revolution started, fleeing the country so they didn't get their heads chopped off.
>>
File: 1466197694674.jpg (109KB, 499x688px) Image search: [Google]
1466197694674.jpg
109KB, 499x688px
>>90096380
While you're not wrong in your assertion, I'm curious how you came to that conclusion.
>>
>>90096390
No, I cannot provide evidence the events of this fairytale which serves as a metaphor about humility, or the logical conclusions to the story ever happened in real life.

>inb4 u just admitted its a fairytale why does accuracy matter hurr durr
Because the context for the metaphor in the fairytale is partially rooted in the setting, so being as accurate and detailed as possible with this is important
>>
>>90096039
>Sure. But how did their parents/grandparents (to say nothing of great-grandparents) get there in that time period, with the slow and limited social mobility?

Almost all of them would have been the descendants of slaves or servants who were brought there by their masters, and either freed (slaves) or remained in employment (servants). Some would have been There would only be incentive to move to a big city if you were skilled in certain professions or trades due to the high competition and low reward for ordinary work in Paris versus ordinary work in a small town. If you had a family, you would probably not be moving to Paris because of the expense and space issues and the aforementioned low reward for ordinary work. Most of the black people we know lived in Paris were single men in artistic professions and social/political/philosophical circles.

>Given this, what is the actual likelihood of black families living in small provincial towns in France in the 18th century or earlier?

Far more likely than your theory, which is that black people did not live anywhere but Paris and big cities for no particular reason at all other than your version of "migration patterns" which do not at all check out with the history of movement in 18th century France.
>>
>>90096403
its like the avengers for women
>>90096433
nice virgin rage lol
>>
>>90096367
Where's your evidence that black people only lived in cities? I'll wait.
>>
>>90096583
>Almost all of them would have been the descendants of slaves or servants who were brought there by their masters, and either freed (slaves) or remained in employment (servants)

And where are the written records for the legal procedures for the freed slaves, or the wage records for the servants? I've no doubt they exist in the historical records of larger cities, but in small farming communities?

>Far more likely than your theory, which is that black people did not live anywhere but Paris and big cities

Then why is there concrete evidence for my theory and none for yours?
>>
>>90096578
But Belle exploring foreign lands isn't part of the story or the fairytale. You said that French princesses could travel to foreign lands to explore, yet historically that is not the case

>Because the context for the metaphor in the fairytale is partially rooted in the setting, so being as accurate and detailed as possible with this is important

Yet you don't give one flying fuck about Belle's clothing, behavior, etc, that is completely anachronistic with the time period. Wonder why that is? ;)
>>
>>90096637
There's piles of historical evidence of black communities in cities in France. There doesn't seem to be any evidence of black communities in small farming communities.

I therefore deduce that black people lived in cities and not small farming communities.
>>
>>90096704
>But Belle exploring foreign lands isn't part of the story or the fairytale

It's a logical conclusion to the story

>Yet you don't give one flying fuck about Belle's clothing, behavior, etc, that is completely anachronistic with the time period. Wonder why that is? ;)

Because it's part of the metaphpor. Unless you're talking about Emma Watson's portrayal, in which case I don't approve of that either and mentioned that in my very first post
>>
>>90095081
You say that like it's a bad thing
>>
>>90096678
>And where are the written records for the legal procedures for the freed slaves, or the wage records for the servants?

It's very unusual for those types of records to be saved in small towns. In And again, you're forgetting that there are many reasons these records are not available online. They may no longer exist. They may have never been preserved. They may be hidden in boxes and archives, probably never to be digitized. French historical archives are just now beginning to digitize historically important documents, so "where are the wage records for a black servant living in a small country town in the 18th century?" are pretty far down on the list.

And hey. Madame du Barry's servant Zamor lived with her in Louveciennes. Louveciennes was/is a small town. That means... he could have gone walking in the town! And be seen in the background. Woahhhh.

>I've no doubt they exist in the historical records of larger cities, but in small farming communities?

Again, you are basing your theory on: "Well some obscure provincial records that may not have been preserved for the past 300 years haven't been digitized so we don't have access to it, therefore it didn't happen." Do you really not understand how that's a poor way of determining history?

Black people existed in 18th century France. They existed enough that laws were passed regarding them. There was no legal or social reason why they could not have lived in small towns. Therefore, the presence of a black person in the background of a small French town in BATB is not an inaccuracy. You are the one who is making a ridiculous claim.

>Then why is there concrete evidence for my theory and none for yours?

There is no concrete evidence for your theory.
>>
>>90096761
>logical conclusion

That's speculation! Just because something is logical doesn't mean it can be true, right?
>>
>Because they certainly put black people in the movie because of historical accuracy and certainly not adding token diversity.
>>
>>90097051
>the records conveniently don't exist

Okay.

>Madame du Barry's servant Zamor lived with her in Louveciennes

Finally actual evidence of a real black person in a small French town. Congratulations, it only took you this long. I concede, the presence of a black manservant of a rich consort might have lived in that town and been seen in the background. Doesn't explain the actual people seen in the shot, but hey, it's something.

It might have been nice to have a black actor play a role like that, in fact. A role based on a real person. A speaking role. One where he greets Belle and explains that he's off to get his Mistress something. Look at that, accurate, contextual, non-lazy diversity!

>There is no concrete evidence for your theory
There's no evidence black people lived in cities in France and were extremely rare in small towns, if not non-existent in most?
>>
>>90086253
Nostalgia

The recent live action movies are successful enough to make people get used to and excited about the idea

Potterfags and to a lesser extent feminists thinking Emma has more charisma than a wood plank
>>
>>90097172

That's not what I said. But you have zero conception of historiography or 18th century France, so I'm not surprised that's what you go out of it.

>One where he greets Belle and explains that he's off to get his Mistress something. Look at that, accurate, contextual, non-lazy diversity!

Your bizarre obsession with black people only being allowed in this movie if they're in "their place" (and "their place" is what YOU deem it to be, rather than what history deems it to be) is pretty interesting, to say the least.

>There's no evidence black people lived in cities in France and were extremely rare in small towns, if not non-existent in most?

Sooo, what's your concrete evidence? You still haven't given it.
>>
File: 1487318897399.jpg (238KB, 575x1520px) Image search: [Google]
1487318897399.jpg
238KB, 575x1520px
>>90084524
>218 replies
Anyone bring up the horrible not french ascents despite using french terms? Cause i am if no one else has
>>
>>90086296
I can't believe someone was paid to make this poster. It looks like something you'd see on an old phpBB forum from the early 00s. What the fuck.
>>
>>90093985
Get ready for all the travestite/transsexual undertones!
>>
>>90097420
>No orlando bloom or whatshertits.

Yeah sure is the real thing.
>>
>>90097379
I'm so sorry for wanting to give people of colour speaking roles which accurately reflect their historical contribution instead of shoving some token diversity in the background.

My concrete evidence is the lack of records. There's no evidence of black people living in most small towns in France because black people did not live in most small towns in France.
>>
>>90089888
Basque people weren't allowed in Paris until the twentieth century upon threat of death. Paris may well have been the most whitewashed locale in France.
>>
>>90097546
>basque people are the only people of colour which would have traveled to or existed in a city like Paris
>>
>>90094046
>France
>full of white people
It's like you /pol/tards haven't even read Thomas Jefferson. Where does your sense of racial superiority even come from?
>>
>>90097615
Not being American, for starters
>>
>>90097637
Oh, you're one of those. That's too bad.
>>
>>90084524
Let's be completely honest, now that we've seen /co/'s verdict the film will probably be incredibly successful and get 90%+ on rotten tomatoes. Quote me on this, screencap this, it will 100% happen because normies don't care about how brutish and manly Gaston should be or how shallow Emma Watson's Belle is.
>>
>>90097615
>>90097676
>I, a French person, need to be schooled about my homeland by an American

This is why most of the world despises you
>>
>>90086327
Lone Ranger turned Cowboy Green Hornet into a comedy.

So yea sucking balls for the same reason the Green Hornet reboot sucked.

John Carter was due to ultra dense source material and a shit way to introduce it.
>>
>>90097438
Oh "Be a man" is going to be great.
>>
>>90097172
>were extremely rare in small towns, if not non-existent in most?

So now you admit they existed in small towns, when before you said they shouldn't be living there at all.
>>
>>90084524
I don't know why, but I keep confusing Emma for Kristen Stewart, there's just something about their face that's similar.
>>
>>90098006
I cannot count the number of time I stated "if they lived in small towns, it was extremely rare" in this thread
>>
>>90096725
That logic does not seem conclusive.
>>
>>90097172
I think hes on to something...

...I dont think this movie is real at it. The evidence is piling up
>>
>>90097454
Is there evidence of white people living in those small towns? Or is it just your supposition after that point? Because the argument can be made there's no evidence who's there because small towns are unimportant and not worth documenting, at which point quantum uncertainty means you can't claim there weren't any brown people there.
>>
>>90090535
All those wonderful memes we could've had.
>>
>>90086864
>"As a specimen I am intimidating!"
>With that voice
Motherfucker couldn't intimidate a kitten.
>>
One dude has been farming all the (you) there is to be had in this thread when we should be talking about ideal casting choices and potential story changes.

I'll start.

I'm pretty sure this won't be what happens, but I'd love it if this live action version made it so Belle is sorta arrogant and inconsiderate in addition to being super stubborn. That way we'd have a story about two awful people who work to make themselves better and worthy of a healthy relationship. And then you'd have Gaston be a reflection of what they'd be like if they completely gave in to their vain and violent impulses.
>>
>>90084524
She just straight up stole that bread. She just swipes it and gives him a look like "What. Do something." and walks off. He even reacts like "What the fuck"
>>
>>90096725
There must have been lots of blacks in France. How else could France have become one of the major centers of science and mathematics?
>>
>>90085229
High giving as they spit-roast Belle, more like.
>>
>>90102913
Nah, she pays for it. She's a bitch, but you can see her dropping some coins in the tin on his tray.
>>
File: u mad.png (219KB, 323x320px) Image search: [Google]
u mad.png
219KB, 323x320px
>>90084524
>>
creativity is dead
>>
File: Its smug aura mocks me.png (248KB, 341x345px) Image search: [Google]
Its smug aura mocks me.png
248KB, 341x345px
>>90103228
>>
>>90097454
>My concrete evidence is the lack of records.
>he thinks absence of evidence is evidence of absence
>not only that he think he's CONCRETE evidence

That is now how the study of anything, much less history, works.

>There's no evidence of black people living in most small towns in France

Moving the goal posts again! That's just sad. No one said "black people lived in most small towns in France." People said it was not historically inaccurate for black people to be in this small town, because it is--going by historical evidence--possible.
>>
>>90104066
Possible, sure but it didn't happen. History lives and dies on records and artifacts not what you think could have happened. If it wasn't written down or we don't find some African artifact in a small french village there is no reason whatsoever to believe that there were any non Europeans living in any rural French village.
>Just because they can does not mean that they did.
>>
>>90097172
>Doesn't explain the actual people seen in the shot, but hey, it's something.

You already got reasonable explanations for the people in the shot but hey, I get it, you're a moron.
>>
>>90084524
It feels really empty compared to the original, there are lots of people but they're all in groups doing the same things

She doesnt sound as happy either

And the baker was a bit of a prick in the original if you listened to the backround
>>
>>90085040
I didn't think there were people that gave this much of a shit about some generic disney movie.

When I saw it as a kid, it was just another distraction. Something to occupy my simple little mind.
>>
>>90095315
>Miranda Sings
>Miranda fucking Sings

Last I checked we lived in 2017.
>>
>>90103187
Pompous & the Beastly

> Belle is an arrogant stuck up cunt who is full of herself.

> Gets her comeuppance when she ends up full of cock instead of full of herself.

Songs include:
I'm an Annoying Little Cunt
Fuck that Stuck up Bitch
Be Our High Test
Fail as Old as Time
Full Holes for Assholes
>>
>>90104176
Again, you can't say "it didn't happen" just because you don't like the idea. It's historically possible and plausible. Did Marie Antoinette shit at the palace of Versailles? There's no records she ever took a shit there, so she DID NOT shit there. Sure, she had a toilet at Versailles, so it's plausible she took a shit, but we don't KNOW FOR SURE, there's no concrete evidence! Do you see how stupid that sounds? That's basically what you're doing here.

>History lives and dies on records and artifacts not what you think could have happened.

Historiography is all about theories and interpretations and presumptions, especially in areas of history that are poorly recorded such as the lives of countryfolk in 18th century France. Black or white. You interpret the data you are given.

So, let's talk about the records and interpret them. The records show that there were thousands of black people, minimum since these weren't complete censuses, living in France in the 18th century. The records show that it was possible for free black people to live in rural France, because there were no legal or social limitations which forbid it and there were many ways for black people to end up in a small town. The records show that there were enough black people, freed and slaves, that laws were passed regarding their rights, marriages, etc. Black people show up in paintings that aren't exclusive to big cities. So it is therefore reasonable to conclude that there could have been black people in a small French town.

>we don't find some African artifact in a small french village there is no reason whatsoever to believe that there were any non Europeans living in any rural French village.

Why in the fuck would a black French person have random African artifacts? Oh my god.

>if it wasn't written down

Prove that white people with red hair lived in rural French country villages. If you can't find records, it didn't happen.
>>
>>90085850
Because (we), as in, /co/, have seen that movie several times, because it is a classic.
And by several times, I mean at least once every few years.
Normies haven't seen it since they were born, and that's the targeted audience.
It's simply nostalgia pandering and adding a few actor/actresses that are kinda hype and bingo, it's not like it's going to cost insane amount of money to make either.
But, their 'bonjour''s pronunciation is just as good as the one from the original movie tho, dunno why you're sperging about that.
Also belle's 'good morning monsieur jean' sounds really fine. Compare that to whatever french sentences they give other actors in other triple A movies and see for yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWtuJPl8M0c
>>
File: Smug and the Beast.png (549KB, 769x315px) Image search: [Google]
Smug and the Beast.png
549KB, 769x315px
>>90084524

Why is she so Smug?

It's like she think every one on the town is a retard but her and the Library dude and she right.
>>
>>90086864
Does anyone else here think this gaston looks short
>>
>>90094827
Bro it doesn't matter how much time,money,effort and heart goes into something if it's bad then it's bad
>>
>>90104839
>Also belle's 'good morning monsieur jean' sounds really fine.
That's cause Emma lived the first years of her life in France.
>>
>>90086864

Well at Least the guy playing LeFou sounds like LeFou from those 4 seconds of him singing.
>>
>>90097409
>MADOC?
>HOLY SHIT SOMEONE KNOWS MADOC!?
>>
>>90104683
>Black people show up in paintings that aren't exclusive to big cities

Find one, please.

>Prove that white people with red hair lived in rural French country villages

Pic related, here's a painting of a red-haired French peasant girl from the early 19th century by Charles Landelle.
>>
>>90101239
French civil registration records documenting the genealogy of French families. Paintings.
>>
>>90084524

>British accent

TRASH
>>
>>90084524
Post yfw you realized that's almost certainly a stunt double hopping across the pond
>>
Why do you faggots care? You weren't going to see this crappy movie anyway.
>>
>>90086296
is that fucking Effy
>>
>>90105080
Emma Watson is a cunt irl and it comes through in her performance.
>>
>She really is a stuck up cunt...
>That Belllllllllllllllllllllllllle!
>>
>>90086864
>Josh Gad

I am so sick of that little faggot.
>>
>>90086864
They might as well have just casted Josh Gad as Gaston
>>
>>90109379
I actually really liked the new Jungle Book, so this was at least a movie I'd pirate when it came out
>>
>>90097172

http://staraco.org/fr/ressources?field_personnes_target_id=All&field_tags_tid=&field_evenement_de_recherche_target_id=Allc

Lots of documents related to black people in France in the 17th-19th centuries, some in cities, some in countries. Laws, edicts, population census, declarations of marriage, declarations of entry, declarations of freedom, etc.

I really don't get the point of your comments. No one is saying WOW THERE WERE OODLES AND OODLES OF BLACK PEOPLE IN RANDOM PROVINCIAL TOWNS. But it is not impossible or even implausible that there might be a few black people or brown people in a small provincial town in France in the 1770s.
>>
>>90109185
>French civil registration records documenting the genealogy of French families

Present the records that show these people were white.
>>
>>90086296
This looks like a poster for the fucking ride
>>
>>90109090
How does that painting prove that white people with red hair lived in rural country villages? Do you have evidence that this girl was real? Where did she live? Where are the records showing her birthplace? Landelle was best known for his society paintings, whose to say this isn't a society girl dressed as a faux peasant for the sake of a quaint painting?

So far, the fact remains: White people with red hair DID NOT live in rural French country villages.
>>
>>90093985
Cheng is now called Honghui, and instead of being the commander is now another recruit who grows a rivalry with Mulan before falling in love with her.
The Huns are Gokturks, and Shan Yu might be different as well.
Have fun.
>>
>>90110779
>this is what desperation looks like
>>
File: Bless My Fuck.jpg (11KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Bless My Fuck.jpg
11KB, 250x250px
>>90086864

I was 5 seconds away from typing
>as long as the bits with Gaston are good it will be completely worth it

I guess I have my answer already. Shame that bro that played him at Disney got blown up by fireworks or something.
>>
>>90111650
So according to you, a painting of a vaguely redheaded looking girl by a French painter in the 19th century is all you need to prove white redheaded people lived in rural French villages? Even though there's no verification of her identity, where she lived, the haircolor is vague, etc?

Yet all historical evidence and reason points to black people living in country villages being possible and you cry DIDN'T HAPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEN!!!! because you don't have a notarized wage slip saying "This wage slip is for black Jean Francois, who is black, did I mention he is black, also he lives in the country."
>>
File: oh_god_my_sides.gif (987KB, 500x255px) Image search: [Google]
oh_god_my_sides.gif
987KB, 500x255px
>>90090624
>"girl, if you like him so much you can have him"

I died
>>
>>90084524
They're just trying to win awards because Oscars don't give a shit about them outside of the "Best Animated" category. Who cares.
>>
>>90112336
>Yet all historical evidence and reason points to black people living in country villages being possible

You're a fucking retard lmao. Sure, you might find a north african in a big city or something. There is no way in fucking hell you would find a subsaharan African in a rural village. None. You are insane and stupid.
Thread posts: 291
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.