[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>black >woman >lieutenant >legacy hero >beloved

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

File: 1415235050917.jpg (309KB, 1000x1481px) Image search: [Google]
1415235050917.jpg
309KB, 1000x1481px
>black
>woman
>lieutenant
>legacy hero
>beloved by all
>hypercompetent
>immediately an Avenger
>becomes leader in record time
>had never even heard of Mar-Vell

I like Monica, but... why does /co/, exactly? She was the prototypical Moon Girl, Ironheart, Miles etc..

Shit, she fell into obscurity because the OG /co/mrade editor resented her Mary Sue-ness, tore her down and replaced her with the white male hero who used to be Avengers leader.
>>
It was well written. It took 5 years to become a leader. Everyone knew she was not going to be a long term leader.
>>
>>90056867
She was purdy gud in Nextwave, even though no one is traditionally in-character in that series
>>
Nextwave, Without that, she'd be a literally who footnote, like Eric Masterson.
>>
>>90056867
she was written prudently. what else is there to say?
>>
>>90057076
Pretty much this.
>>
Execution is more than checkbox qualities. And those characters are mostly hated based on how they are promoted rather than the actual content of their books.
>>
>>90056945
>It was well written.

There we are. Moon Girl, Iron Heart, Miles, Carol, Mockingbird, FemThor, Angela, whatever, they aren't hated because of their SJWness. They're hated because they are SJW and terrible.
>>
>>90056867
She has a personality, doesn't shit on previous writing, and isn't inconsistent as all fuck.
>>
>>90056867
Why haven't Marvel brought her back yet?
>>
She was made before these casuals got into comics, therefore she's OK, just like John Stewart and the 500 minority legacies created by Morrison and Johns.

It's just like on /v/: "Anything from before I came to /v/ is god tier, anything from after is SHIT"
>>
>>90057435
Black female lead can't star in an action movie.
Disney and Hollywood forbid it.
>>
>>90057448
>Implying you have to like John Stewart to like Monica Rambeau.
>Implying you have to hate Robbie Reyes to hate Riri.

There's been good and bad non-white heroes ever since Marvel and DC started introducing them. Get over yourself.
>>
>>90057448
Except no one minds the new Morrison and Johns minority legacies either.
>>
>>90056867
>resented her Mary Sue-ness

Hmmm I NEVER saw her as a Mary Sue. She asked questions,made mistakes, & had trouble dealing with cape life in the MU.

She acted pretty belligerently to the X-Men in Secret Wars & it never really got followed up on.
>>
>>90057492
Read my post again. I'm saying all those characters came before current /co/'s time, therefore they're OK, while anything new is lambasted.

There's the argument that they're not as "forced" as the new ones, but that's bullshit because they're introduced in the same exact situation. Then there's the argument that they're better written and more developed, which while true, took several years to really get that way, whereas no one even gives new characters a chance before taking a big shit on them.
>>
>>90057435
?
Dude she's been in circulation since Infinity.
>>
>>90057191
I actually like Angela as a concept and character.
Her first little stint was fine and I love the idea of Loki getting shit on by two brawling jock siblings at all times. Loki in the Middle, if you will.
But Queen of Hel just sucked giant donkey dick, and not in a good way.
It was preachy, unfocused, confusing and rushed to become flat out insulting in the end. Which is a shame for the talented artists wasted on it. They could have improved the She-Hulk procedural run tenfold instead.
>>
>>90057191
Moon girl's book is fine
>>
>>90057679
I hope you're joking.
>>
>>90057679
It's mediocre but insanely wasted potential.
>>
>>90057654
Kamala Khan, Robbie Reyes, Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz are mostly well liked on /co/ and they are very recent characters,
>>
>>90057654
You should read my post again because I'm saying there are new ones by those creators that also get a pass. No one is bitching about anyone from Multiversity or Jessica and Simon. It's not just recency that's the problem with the ones people hate.
>>
>>90057734
Nope, it is a perfectly ok book, not bad in the least.
>>
>>90057612
Any examples from Stern's run? I can't remember any from the bits & pieces I've read. The best examples I CAN think of were done afterwards, explicitly to discredit her.
>>
>>90057679
If you are ten, maybe.
It's hard to judge that for me, personally.
I find it heavy-handed, intellectually shallow, emotionally unstimulating, and the main character needlessly belligerent.
>>
>>90057679
Yes. But her guest appearances aren't. And this "smartest in the world" thing they are trying to push is annoying at least, downright offensive at most.
>>
>>90057679
>>90057734
>>90057781
It's cute. Cute enough to be on my read-list.
It's at the low end that I only catch up on every few months though.
>>
>>90057813
Yeahhhhh, I was okay with that explicitly because all the big brains were dead or MIA. The recent "official ranking" removes that excuse.
>>
>>90057813
Yeah. They took a bullshit concept that misunderstands what intelligence even is and just ramped it up in importance.
>>
File: Avengers.Infinity1.jpg (45KB, 300x453px) Image search: [Google]
Avengers.Infinity1.jpg
45KB, 300x453px
GOAT Avengers team
>>
>>90057813
>Yes. But her guest appearances aren't
yep
>And this "smartest in the world" thing they are trying to push is annoying at least, downright offensive at most.
They botched the hell out of that. Lunella wants to be recognized for her intelligence and something like that would have been a good end goal. Having Chulk randomly show up with a puzzle was stupid. If anything the puzzle should have gotten her foot in the door to prove herself.
>>
>>90056867
>the OG /co/mrade editor
Who?
>>
>>90057856
The ranking nonsense is old hat. Cho never shuts up about it.
But they built a character around it, now.
And one that is not actually any clever if you look at her, which just demonstrates how that ranking is pointless.
>>
>>90057191
Basically, if character A has the same flaws as character B but is in a book I like, I can ignore those flaws. Despite damning B for those same qualities.
>>
>>90057755
How does Kamala keep squeaking by with her mediocre to bad book.
>>
>>90056867
Because:

Mar-Vell got a good sendoff
Carol Danvers was a supporting cast member in X-Men and no one thought about making her the new Captain Marvel at that time yet, because they had to kind of avoid bringing up the issue caused by Avengers
Roger Stern can write better than most modern Marvel writers (it's true, go back and compare his BND issues to certain other writers)
Most modern fans like her because of her Nextwave appearance even though she was out-of-character in it.

Also >>90057142
>Execution is more than checkbox qualities
>>
>>90057435
They don't really know what to do with her. They NEED to push carol for the movie. Maybe sticking her in as Carol's sidekick, or 6 mins left in the episode powerup for big bosses, or team her up with Kamala as the jaded veteran to her enthusiasim.

But Carol's gone nowhere for years now, and Kamala's already in more books than she can support.

What else was there? Ewing's Black Avengers? That nobody seemed to remember?

>>90057666
>But Queen of Hel just sucked giant donkey dick, and not in a good way.
Hey satan, what's the GOOD way of sucking gigantic donkey dick.

>>90057679
Her book is OK enough, sort of in the Guhiru power pack sort of way, except with more dinosaur. I didn't see the guest appearance.

>>90057999
First, brown waifu factor. Second, she's got a goodwill cushion from her year or three before they threw her into the avengers.
>>
>>90058047
>Hey satan, what's the GOOD way of sucking gigantic donkey dick.
As part of a live show, obviously.
>>
>>90057435
She has been in Ultimates for two yeas anon
>>
File: Gru was hardcore.png (121KB, 319x417px) Image search: [Google]
Gru was hardcore.png
121KB, 319x417px
>>90057911
Big Match Mark
>>
>>90057679
Fine would imply there's value of any sort.
It's vapid and poorly handled. It's inoffensive, but not good or even okay.
>>
>>90058047
>First, brown waifu factor. Second, she's got a goodwill cushion from her year or three before they threw her into the avengers
Yeah, her book became underwhelming after Secret Wars, she got sucked into two terrible teamups she didn't really have a place in and was thrust into endless tie-in hell.
I just hope they get her back on the ground sometime soon and Secret Warriors won't be too intrusive. She needs to stay the fuck away from politics and concentrate on picking up the pieces of her life. Maybe fess up to her friends and stop pushing them away, get Bruno back on talking terms and tell Nakia where those mysterious chocolate boxes came from.
>>
>>90058365
>endless tie-in hell.
she had one tie in arc. The gentrification, clone, and current cyber arc were just as bad.
>>
>>90057435
She goes by Spectrum now, I think.
>>
>>90057938
Lunella is very much so "smart because everyone says she's smart". Compared to most of the others on the list, she's got nothing to really show for it.
>>
>>90058047
>Ewing's Black Avengers?
Land being the main "artist" on that title kept me from pulling it, despite the writing being generally good.
>>
>>90058438
Well, she had the Avengers shit stressing her out all the time, then Civil War 2, then the shit voting thing that didn't even come on time and she's not out of the thing with the Mutants, or the upcoming Secret Warriors. So there is no end in sight.
I loved the clone shenanigans, though.
And the cyber troll could shape up to go fun places yet.
>>
>>90058130
Gru hated her?
>>
>>90056867
Why the fuck am I still on this fucking board?
Fucking why?
Eat shit OP, I am going to read some comics, and you're a faggot.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.