[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, /co/. Do you think there could have been an actual controversy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: kings.gif (882KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
kings.gif
882KB, 500x280px
Hey, /co/. Do you think there could have been an actual controversy if The Lion King was made today and the characters were voiced by actors without african ancestry?

*Really* not trying to polpost here; I'm legit curious about whether it would have been a serious, mainstream issue outside the usual internet opinion outlets
>>
>>90049991
No, not really. 4chan would find screencaps from asspained nobodies on twitter/Facebook/tumblr and use that to shitpost about SJW's like people here usually do, and some parts of media (on both sides) would try and capitalize on that for viewers.

But the rest of the public would watch cute, talking animals and get their hearts broken not 30 minutes in, or less. As well as have their sexuality questioned at a young age from that Nala scene.
>>
I doubt there would be an issue. They're lions, not people. Lions don't talk. They don't even have real heritage, they're just lions. If The Lion King were about people then maybe there could be an issue amongst people who have nothing better to do than complain about children's cartoons but as it stands I can't imagine people getting pissy over the VA of an animal.
>>
>>90049991
every human has african ancestry
>>
>>90050278
Let's call it tangible/leverageable african ancestry then
>>
>>90049991
>Do you think there could have been an actual controversy if The Lion King was made today and the characters were voiced by actors without african ancestry?
no.

I could go into deep detail to explain why not but it would just invite polposting.

but for a modern equivalent, consider Zootopia, a film far more worried about its messages regarding class and race, which cast a Latin-American pop singer as an African gazelle, and cast a Jewish feminist as its conniving villain at the center of an evil conspiracy.

No one cared. Except /pol/ might now that I've pointed it out.
>>
>>90049991
yes probably, someone would kick up a stink loud enough that other people would latch on to it.
>>
File: 1479008585388.jpg (41KB, 500x392px) Image search: [Google]
1479008585388.jpg
41KB, 500x392px
>>90049991
Aaaaand I think Disney would parade around the non-whiteys in an attempt to show how in touch with nothing they are.

>Disney Exclusive with Lion King Voice actors!
>Jamal Jenkins Jefferson voice of Simba
>"alright now Jamal, just remember, play up how voicing a fictional Lion ripping off Macbeth, makes you, a marginalised race in America feel closer to your Afrikana roots and empowers you and your people. Here's your two sheckles. Don't go wasting it on sports trainer shoes now!"
>"No problem Mr. Mouse!"

You know disney would exploit people of race to show their progressiveness to get even more money.
>>
>>90050442
You have WAY more leeway voicing humanoid animals in a city/area/world that doesn't exist, rather than feral animals OBVIOUSLY in a real geographical area. Like, it would make no sense to have characters voiced by obviously black voice actors (except Keith Davids. He has a "universal ethnicity" voice due to his lack of ethnic vocal mannerisms) in a movie based on snow leopards in Tibet.
>>
whitewashing reeee
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (30KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
30KB, 480x360px
>>90049991
I think not being voiced by same race is not the same as being played by the same race

Case in point: Ben 10 is voiced by a grown woman, and no one is throwing a tantrum, but if someone decided to do live action Ben 10 with grown woman playing Ben, I imagine there'd a lot of shit slinging and head-scratching
>>
>>90050540
>Macbeth
I've heard Hamlet from the plebs and Henry the V but Macbeth is a first.
>>
>>90049991
>and the characters were voiced by actors without african ancestry?

There'll be more African ancestry actors in the Lion King and there will still be people complaining about how the only way Disney can make a movie about black people is to either depict them as slaves or as animals.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.