[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can anyone give me a summary of Robbie Reynolds aka The Sentry's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

Can anyone give me a summary of Robbie Reynolds aka The Sentry's history/powers in Marvel? And some recommended reading?

I had been getting into the One Punch Man anime and in discussions on other threads it lead me to the topic of over-powered, borderline reality warping heroes and what I THINK I understand of Sentry sounds fascinating. He basically rewrites history to make himself as important or as powerful as he desires, right?
>>
>>89951484
The fuck you are talking about mate?
He is nothing like One meme man or a reality warper.
>>
>>89951484
Originally made for an alternative universe story, he's basically supposed to be the marvel equivalent of superman.
He has generic super strength/speed/flight plus energy blasts but follows the thematic spirit of older heroes "with the power of a billion suns!"

He has a split personality that manifests as his archenemy to counter all the efforts the sentry makes for good. This insanity was expanded upon in later stories to call his origins into question and portray him as an unreliable narrator. Earlier tellings of his origin had him being given a super serum from a good professor kinda like with captain america but later versions suggest the sentry may have stolen the serum and been a drug addict or that he didn't actually get his power from the serum.
Basically, it's all very purposefully unclear and draws of themes of the clash between different ages and styles of comics and it all just gets worse when hacks tried to sloppily drag it into general continuity which is where they pulled in more of the reality-altering aspect of his powers.
>He basically rewrites history to make himself as important or as powerful as he desires, right?
Completely wrong. The closest he comes to "rewriting history" is the unreliable narration of his past. You might also be mixing that up with him making everyone forget that he was the sentry, including himself, so that his archenemy would disappear too. That was the core plot of the original comic and they also tried to sloppily drag it into general continuity but only as an excuse to suddenly making this new character a part of the universe without anyone remembering.
>>
>>89951484

redpill me about Sentry, /co/
>>
>>89953933
See >>89952784
>>
>>89952784
Dude can play with moleculs. Hes way beyond Sups.
>>
File: supes_shape_shifting1.jpg (67KB, 568x311px) Image search: [Google]
supes_shape_shifting1.jpg
67KB, 568x311px
>>89951484
The Sentry's powers are whatever is needed for him to appear incredibly powerful for the current story, while still allowing him the wiggle room to job occasionally to other heroes.

So in other words, Superman.
>>
File: supes_muscle_control1.jpg (84KB, 716x310px) Image search: [Google]
supes_muscle_control1.jpg
84KB, 716x310px
>>89956023
The moment a writer needs Superman to manipulate molecules, that's what he'll be doing.
It's not as if Sentry was doing it except for the odd occasion as a power-stunt.
Exactly how Superman works.

It's ironic that Billy, who's alter ego is made of pure wtf magic, is the one with the better defined power set over Supes and Sentry.
>>
>>89952784
>Completely wrong.
It's not since I want to say Jenkins himself has either heavily implied or even outright said as such before.
>>
>>89951484
>Robbie
He's not a child, you will address him as Robert or Bob.
>>
>>89956023
Work on your reading comprehension.
I explained that particular bit of shit writing came from them dragging a character meant for an alternative universe kicking and screaming into the main one and butchering near everything about them. They used him up into a burnt out husk for a shitty event that's already irrelevant.
iirc it's another case of bendis.
>>
>>89956497
That he alters history?
Yeah no I'm calling bullshit unless you have a source.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.