[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it safe to say that South Park stayed good a lot longer than

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (51KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51KB, 480x360px
Is it safe to say that South Park stayed good a lot longer than The Simpsons did?
>>
>>89947427
They had weak sesons before butb18 &19 was pretty good. 20 failed hard but I have still hopes for season 21.
>>
>>89947427
Hard to tell, the quality never was consistent
>>
>>89947482
this
I just want president Garrison to return and Cartman to still have a thing with Heidi. Those are the only two things worth salvaging.
>>
>>89947630

Honestly, early South Park doesn't hold up as well as early Simpsons does.
>>
>>89947716
Simpsons are like classic films while South park are like time capsules.

Comparing them for holding up is like racing swordfish and horses. One will always beat the other in that category.
>>
>>89947427
Of course. The Simpsons are a complete disaster since almost 20 years ago.
>>
>>89947427
I gave up on the simpsons at season 13. I have drifted in and out of SP. But S20 was very poorly written and conceived
>>
>>89947716
this.
early south park sucks. as a rule of thumb, it doesn't get decent until kenny stops dying.
>>
>>89948224
Old SP was good at that time. It was funny because you didn't expect how weird it was.
>>
>>89948224
It's impressive how they insisted on killing Kenny every episode for so long. At some point they weren't even trying anymore.
>>
File: BJ-Hunnicut-MASH.jpg (43KB, 377x502px) Image search: [Google]
BJ-Hunnicut-MASH.jpg
43KB, 377x502px
>>89948224
>>89949190
>>89947427
I prefer the older south park episodes, namely seasons 1-13, especially season 1-9 because the episodes mostly just felt like kids getting into wierd situations. And the kids felt like actual kids, these days the 4 boys dont really act like kids I think.

Also season 1-3 intro is still the best one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGNYO2H9XlQ

Still, most of the newer episodes I laugh at so I can say its better than modern simpsons but earlier simpsons episodes I enjoyed more.
>>
I stayed with the Simpsons for about 12 seasons, and South Park to 15, so I suppose that's fair.

>>89948224
It's hard to go back and look at the early seasons of both shows without understanding how controversial they were at the time. I think the charm of early SP is like >>89949491 says, the boys have a childlike authenticity in the way they naively use profanity and sexual references. It depicted an aspect of youth that no one had really dared to portray on TV or cartoons before.
>>
File: 1475565472609.png (93KB, 161x260px) Image search: [Google]
1475565472609.png
93KB, 161x260px
>>89949491

Early South Park for me is season 1-4(5) while newer South Park starts with (5)6, still mostly about the kids going about 'childish adventures' but starts to become more about irl events being parodied. (not that the early seasons didn't have that.)

From 10 on the series becomes even more outlandish and radical. But of course that also starts the trend of 3 parters With Cartoon Wars (well, that's a two parter), that would continue with Imagination Land, The Coon and A Song of Fire and Ass. And in season 18 a proper serialisation starts. Season 18 was not that great but it had nothing to do with the serialisation aspect of it, 19 did a better job at it. But both had really weak endings because they didn't live up to the build up.

I do like all of South Park, even bad seasons have good episodes. Last season started strong, but quickly felt flat, even after Trump's surprise win. I still love the scene where all the kids destroy Cartman's stuff. Cartman is such a little shit that you should be glad about it but it was so well handled you ended up feeling bad. for him.
>>
>>89950415
i definitely liked it when it came out, but i was the same age as the boys. i just can't get into the old episodes any more, save for a few.. and that might be nostalgia. i can't be sure.
>>
Twerk versus Craig is best early episode prove me wrong.
>>
>>89951565
Can't prove wrong what is right, anon.
>>
>>89947427
I enjoyed the shit out of seasons 18-20, so yes.
>>
>>89949491
I've hard nostalgia for seasons 1-5. They somehow feel like horror stories most of the time. Kenny's always dying, they're somehow scary, I can't explain why, especially 1-3.
>>
>>89947427

Season 21

Guest starring: Stan Marsh and Kenneth McCormick
>>
>>89947482
>>89947427
what the fuck was the point of the memberberries anyway?
>>
>>89954478

I'd assume they were meant to die once Hillary won. They're supposed to be a symbol of anti-progressiveness (hence the whole "nostalgia" shtick and 'Ooooh, remember?'). When Trump got the presidency, Trey probably panicked and couldn't integrate them into the now rewritten plot. So they were abandoned entirely.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.