[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the appeal of this show? It's just two guys

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

File: cast.jpg (28KB, 548x411px) Image search: [Google]
cast.jpg
28KB, 548x411px
What's the appeal of this show? It's just two guys roasting a dumb guy that has a lot of issues with sorting out his thoughts.

Watching the first episode he already brings up the topic (in an extremely clumsy manner) of plausible future population control that isn't really that farfetched given the limited natural resources we have. But instead of even acknowledging the possibility of government controlled births in the future (or how even China is currently, right now in the present, restricting how many children families can have) the other two guys just blast him for minutes making him feel like an even bigger idiot.

Am I missing something or is it really just that.
>>
>>89933223
>What's the appeal of this show?
If you ask Ricky Gervais, the appeal is the roasting of an idiot.

However, anyone with a brain who listens will see that the true hero of the podcast is Karl, and people enjoy listening to him while mostly ignoring the other two (with the exception of those rare moments when Karl BTFOs one of them).
>>
>>89933327
>the true hero of the podcast is Karl
This
>>
You listen to Karl completely misunderstand mundane things, but at the same time appreciate them on a level you can't even comprehend.
>>
>>89933223
I think it's important to understand that the two people talking to Karl are longtime friends of his and that they are all accustomed to ribbing on one another. Once in a while they'll talk about hanging out with eachother outside of the show. Also all three of them are professional comedians and they're not just fucking with Karl, but more like they're doing an improv bit about fucking with Karl, and he's in on it. Of course, the conversations are still mostly genuine despite that.

There's one short little part in an episode where Karl turns the tables a little and starts picking on Ricky for loving his cat too much, and it is incredible. Ricky gets so damn butthurt and Karl fucking knows he's hitting a nerve and just goes with it.
>>
>>89933223
I think Ricky's banter with him can be pretty funny but I can't stand Stephen Merchant

>>89933535
Ricky Gervais' greatest idea was giving Karl his own show and just putting him in situations he'd be uncomfortable with and letting him talk to a camera all day
>>
>>89933639
I see, well I'll give it a few more episodes then.
>>
>>89933647

You mean An Idiot Abroad/The Moaning of Life? Yeah, those are pretty great.
>>
>>89933647
I'm the opposite. I fucking hate when Ricky interrupts Karl to pick apart his argument or make fun of him for something stupid. Stephen at least lets him finish his thought before interjecting.
>>
File: kp.jpg (30KB, 548x360px) Image search: [Google]
kp.jpg
30KB, 548x360px
Right, we're never doing this again, and there is something wrong with you. Play a record.
>>
>>89933710
Yeah, I haven't finished Moaning of Life but the few episodes I saw was great.

Regardless of if it's an act or if he's playing it up or not his musings about things are very calming

>Karl you can't throw your water bottle into the volcano

>Well what's the point of it then
>>
>>89933639
I must know what episode this was.
>>
File: 2a6.png (296KB, 600x578px) Image search: [Google]
2a6.png
296KB, 600x578px
>>89933639
>they're not just fucking with Karl

I guess you haven't listened to the really early material. By the way, OP you may want to listen to the complete XFM radio series first. It may give you some context about their relationships and how it all began.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INfVabuCCSY&list=PLyXWmr6hs7HBvJO63tHC8Lyt1KOp2pm8b
>>
>>89933854
Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LliaB2h11Q
>>
>>89933647
You should see the Norm Macdonald podcast with Merchant on it. Norm picks up how sensitive and hyper PC he is so he does things like imply Stephen agrees with David Irving about the holocaust being exaggerated and says things like 'Who's to say what Jimmy Savile did was wrong?' It's hilarious how uncomfortable he gets.
>>
>>89933639
Is that the one where he's yelling at him about why he's giving the cat a massage and it goes into lizards being more boring then the crickets they eat?
>>
>>89934039
As Ricky very pointedly made sure to correct it was a salamander, but yes.
>>
>>89933223
half the time he makes sense but the oother half he comes up with insane shit
its probably because he spends all day listening to these radio shows that come up with the most bizzare news and he just belives wathever they say because he desnt know any better
>>
>>89934106
Couldn't have been a salamander, Karl said it was a lizard and he can't be wrong.
>>
File: IMG_1872.png (473KB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1872.png
473KB, 1136x640px
>>89934016
That was amazing, thank you for this, anon.
>>
>tfw just finished the xfm show for the third time

it always goes by so fast. i'm out of things to listen to and its killing me inside. i need more podcasts and radio shows to fill the void whilst i multitask
>>
>>89934197
this is the kind of thing that tricks you tho because you say well they are funny, i can kill a couple of hours listening while i draw
then something funny hapens and you want to see what it is and then you realize you listened to 6 episodes and did nothing else
>>
>>89934016
I really need to watch this show.
>>
>>89934197
I'm subscribed to like 3 dozen podcasts and it's never enough.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8rlkeQgbtU

Who was in the wrong here?
>>
>>89934279
speak for yourself, anon

>>89934394
i have standards, so there's hardly a dozen i have to listen to at any given time. the majority are archived and i only get to listen to about four shows of new material a week
>>
>>89933223
Really, it's a show about a savant being mocked by two guys who don't get it.
Karl is the real hero, he's got like hyper-awareness.
>>
I would hang out with Karl in any part of the world.
>>
>>89934442
Hey, I have standards too. I just have a lot of different interests. A couple audio dramas, a couple comedy ones, some tabletop gameplay ones, some classic horror ones.
>>
>>89934530
Why travel when you have a telly?
>>
>>89934016
To be fair, I love this cat myself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh43FppvO4I
>>
>>89934025
God I love Norm
>>
>>89934016
that salamander is dead now
>>
>>89934941

Like Rick's career
>>
>>89934568
I'd watch telly with Karl.
>>
>>89935052
Rick's got that Office money, I think he can pretty much just chill until death.
>>
File: karl.png (103KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
karl.png
103KB, 700x700px
>>89933223
>disliking the Ricky Gervais Show
>>
>>89937983
Why is it called the Ricky Gervais Show if it's near entirely about Karl?
>>
>>89938029
Misdirection is a pillar of comedy
>>
>>89934106
I didnt know Salamanders were amphibians desu

They do look like tiny lizards
>>
>>89938103
They are tiny lizards.
>>
>>89935052
Gervais doesnt give a shit anymore through

He can do whatever he wants living off those sweet Office residual bucks

>>89938119
Lizards=Reptiles

sorry its early in the UK
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.