[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there anything american that is even remotely popular in Japan?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 17

File: baymax.jpg (187KB, 1280x901px) Image search: [Google]
baymax.jpg
187KB, 1280x901px
Is there anything american that is even remotely popular in Japan?
Just outright tell, it nerves me the fact that we chew what those japs give to us, but they in return don't taste the flavours of /co/.
>>
>>89933126
Baseball

If you mean /co/ then nothing really super popular. They're aware of cartoons and Batman/Spider-Man but the general populace wouldn't go out of their way to read or watch it.

I guess Disney stuff would be the most popular of all
>>
>>89933126
Baseball

Also, Spiderman is actually a pretty big deal over there.
>>
>>89933126
They love capes.
They love Starwars
They love Baseball
>>
>>89933126
You just posted an example of American media that Japan ate up, I'm not sure why you made this thread.
>>
Why the fuck are we so concerned over what Japan likes anyway? Goddamn.
>>
>>89933126
Japan really likes Spiderman and Star Wars. Also, Powerpuff Girls and your pic was very popular over there.
>>
>>89933399
>>89933308
I wouldn't say they really like Star Wars, Power Puff girls was popular at the time but it doesn't have much staying power.
>>
>>89933435
>I wouldn't say they really like Star Wars
Why's that? You have any idea how influential has it been? Mobile Suit Gundam is fairly inspired by it, and that's about to turn 40 years old. There's also occasional pop culture jokes about it.
>>
>>89933126
>cartoons
>movies
>music
>tech
>women
>men
They love almost everything
>>
>>89933126
Twin Peaks was huge in japan. So much so they made coffee commercials due to it's popularity.

In fact a number of anime, manga and books still reference it today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2j2-1V3Vw8
Spiderman hit pretty well, and the recent marvel movies to.
My Little pony has a big following
>>
How has nobody mentioned Snoopy, Peanuts or Charlie Brown?
>>
>Baseball
>Fried Chicken
>Pawn Stars

We're getting there
>>
>>89933514
Deadly Premonition is super influenced by Twin Peaks.
>>
>>89933435
Star Wars was influential to lots of scifi things sure, but last I seen the Star Wars movies never did hugely well in the Asian markets, Japan included.

And while some westaboo artists do Star Wars pics there's never been a lot of it in comparison to other movie series that got popular there like Captain America or Iron Man.

>>89933555
>Pawn Stars
Chumlee is officially 2d
>>
Frozen is the 3rd-highest grossing film of all time in Japan. Does that count?
>>
>>89933126
Stitch. Stitch is retardedly popular there.
>>
File: nyaruko.jpg (219KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
nyaruko.jpg
219KB, 1366x768px
normalfags like all big /co/ animated movies from disney and pixar just like everyone else.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_nL1PWWSDY

sci fi otaku like star wars and and fantasy otaku like tolkien etc
>>
>>89933556
JoJo: Diamond is Unbreakable and D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die were also pretty inspired by Twin Peaks
>>
>>89933509
Whoops, look here >>89933591
>>
File: bert.jpg (4KB, 86x167px) Image search: [Google]
bert.jpg
4KB, 86x167px
Why is the internet so obsessed with Japan?
>>
>>89933698
>>89933362
It's always weird when people wander onto 4chan, how lost can one man be?
>>
>>89933698
They are the correct flavour of weird and cute that we enjoy.
>>
>>89933698
Where do you think you are?
>>
>>89933698
Anime and the fact that they're pretty alien to western media.
I mean shit, they have a shitton of history, literature and art that aren't easily accessible to find, save for internet research (I mean, I can't even find books from people that are often mentioned in the Anime and gaming scene like Kobo Abe, Shinya Tsukamoto and Project Itoh)
>>
>>89933231
>Baseball
This, they sure do love their baseball and hate their baseball related Colonel Sanders statue curses.
>>
>>89933698
In my defense, I only picked Japanese as a language to study back in 1996 when I had to pick a language, wanted a good challenge, but ruled out things like Arabic, Chinese, or Russian for political reasons.

It was only after that where the Internet told me that anime was a thing.
>>
The guy that made Yugi-Oh is a huge fan of Hellboy and Spawn.
>>
They love the shit out of Tom & Jerry. I thought this was common knowledge?
>>
>>89933729
Why would it be healthy to constantly wonder what Japan thinks about your media?
>>
File: gashi_finding_dory.png (1006KB, 1280x875px) Image search: [Google]
gashi_finding_dory.png
1006KB, 1280x875px
>OP has never heard of Westaboos

Kojima, Araki, Dowman Seiman, the list goes on.

The japs love America, dude.
>>
>>89933698
otaku culture
most of internet user grown up with the animes of 90's and 00's
but nowaday the anime industry is lame joke

keep it barely up by tryhard fanboys how think their chineses cartoons are somethig special
>>
>>89933126
All the Marvel films, Spider-Man, baseball, Twin Peaks, Star Wars, The Beatles and dadrock in general.
>>
>>89934093
>Hank
>Young fit man
Really should've been an older dude with a missing leg but whatever.
>>
>>89934093
Things they like aren't necessarily popular in Japan, though.

For example, TRIGGER fucking loves Steven Universe, to the point of referencing it several times and one of their animators even doing a guest episode for it. But I'm preeeeetty sure SU isn't enormously popular in Japan.
>>
>>89934099
>keep it barely up by tryhard fanboys how think their chineses cartoons are somethig special
"tryhard fanboys" hardly have a mark in the industry.
Anime is now for normies.
>>
>>89933231
>They're aware of cartoons and Batman/Spider-Man but the general populace wouldn't go out of their way to read or watch it
Same as anime and manga in the US, really.
>>
>>89933126
Manga and anime was almost entirely inspired by western cartoons like disney when the mediums were first conceived. In fact, A huge amount of japanese media have American, or at least western origins or influence.
A lot of people seem to forget it, but America basically remade Japan after WW2, from Manufacturing to entertainment. Japanese game were preceded by western game shows, famous directors like Akira Kurosawa were inspired by western films and literature, and western works like Mary poppins and Bewitched were behind the rise of the magical girl genre.
And even modern series like My Hero Academia and One Punch Man have clear influence from american Capes. Really, this kind of thing probably just works in cycles. Wait a few decades, and then we'll see who's influencing who more.
>>
>>89934235
>Anime is now for normies.
name 2 animes as profitable as naruto and bleach who has been released since 2010
>>
File: Img_pict1.jpg (81KB, 290x250px) Image search: [Google]
Img_pict1.jpg
81KB, 290x250px
They like gumball
>>
>>89934654
Whatever's on Netflix.
If it's on Netflix, it's for normies.
>>
>>89933126

Nukes

I mean most countries would be satisfied with one!
>>
>>89933126
might as well mention Araki.
jojo is about as westaboo as you can get.
>>
>>89934625
>Western anime adaption movies 6 a summer, 1 cape film
>Anime adaptations of Marvel and DC because they don't sell in the US anymore
>USA wins
>>
Does Japan like samurai jack?
>>
>>89934678
I can wait for the new anime of castlevania ....oh wait

new golion anime is really good...oh wait
>>
I live in Japan. They love Disney and Star Wars with tons of merch and branding as well as most mainstream stuff the rest of the world likes. Spiderman is popular to the point any con from Tokyo Game Show to Comiket is guaranteed to have Spiderman cosplay. Baseball and fried chicken too. Also CSI is weirdly popular with older people. Oh and Back to the Future.
>>
they love spider man so much they made a tokusatsu about him
it proceeded to create the super sentai genre
char aznable is just one big reference to vader
hell, animes distinct artsyle is based off Disney, especially astro boy

they adore the west, too much according to the elders, I dont know what universe you live in
>>
>>89933231
OH
THATS A BASEBOL
>>
>>89934093
Araki is the king westaboo.
His art got a tour in the Louvre, he got a deal with fucking Gucci of Italy, which I think may have been his goal all along, and his fan-story about Dracula+HnK with a catchy-nickname protagonist was beyond a success.
I think he's probably the happiest westaboo there is.
>>
>>89933641
D4 is pretty obvious, but how so with JoJo?
>>
>>89935034
Oh and they also like One Direction and really love Harry Potter for British stuff.
>>
>>89935284
Don't forget that a big name scientific journal asked him to draw a new protein they discovered as a Stand.
>>
>>89933126
RWBY, South Park, Spongebob, Simpsons, Gravity Falls has a cult following, and anything remotely Disney is popular there.
>>
>>89934182
like that actually matters

What you said goes both ways for Japan and America
There are people who love the other's work but outside of that circle none of it is that popular
>>
>>89933818
It's basically Boston level superstitions.
>>
File: SCRAPPER protein.jpg (305KB, 850x1139px) Image search: [Google]
SCRAPPER protein.jpg
305KB, 850x1139px
>>89935634
interesting
>>
File: The_Black_Room.jpg (32KB, 704x396px) Image search: [Google]
The_Black_Room.jpg
32KB, 704x396px
>>89933641
>>89933556
>>89933514

Soul Eater also does a straight up homage.

Monster was influenced too if i remember correctly.
>>
The Deadpool movie had a huge opening there but quickly fell off when they realized it wasn't Spiderman.
>>
as expected, full of creepy know-it-all weebs itt.
but i admit that it's my guilty pleasure to sneakily read this kind of thread.
>>
File: 0542.jpg (64KB, 454x549px) Image search: [Google]
0542.jpg
64KB, 454x549px
Are japs still into Disney? They were going apeshit over anything remotely Mickey Mouse a decade or so ago. Same goes for Michael Jackson and McDonald's.

Modern japs seem to really like Marvel though, and Batman.
>>
File: snjk.webm (3MB, 848x480px) Image search: [Google]
snjk.webm
3MB, 848x480px
>>89937293
I guess. Frozen was an unexpected runaway hit when it came out years ago, but Zootopia and Finding Dory were still #3 and #4 in last year's box office.
>>
>>89936121
so was Yurikuma Arashi
>>
File: Batman-facepalm.jpg (31KB, 400x453px) Image search: [Google]
Batman-facepalm.jpg
31KB, 400x453px
this thread baffles me

like it only takes a cursory glance around the internet to see that japan is as much about american pop culture as it's ever been, whether that's frozen, lady gaga, deadpool, walking dead, katy perry, or whatever

are you asking for the japanese equivalent of weaboos? news flash: almost the entire world has a thing for american entertainment product. there's a reason hollywood best sellers track in the hundreds of million of dollars around the globe but a movie from outside the US is lucky to crack the (local equivalent of) 100 million dollar mark

there's many reasons american anime fans and the like are seen as weird, and one of those is "why import entertainment when you're living in the entertainment capitol of the world?"
>>
>>89934662
As they should
>>
File: 1486723973054.jpg (1MB, 1342x1940px) Image search: [Google]
1486723973054.jpg
1MB, 1342x1940px
Finally I can post this.
>>
>>89935993
>Araki on the cover of the motherfucking CELL
That's all kinds of amazing. Cell is a very very big time and very very serious science magazine, and those Japanese researchers who REQUESTED the pic not hiding their power level must have taken some massive balls.

Truly, out of all the possible worlds this must be the best one!
>>
>>89938637
2 nukes were not enough
>>
>>89933698
Because Japan features in a lot of popular fiction generas like cyberpunk. Also, they're just interesting in general.
>>
>>89933126
>flavours
You're not American.
>>
Literally "notice me senpai" the thread

Japs don't care about you and neither should you it's pathetic.
>>
File: Tom-and-Jerry-classic[1].jpg (54KB, 511x418px) Image search: [Google]
Tom-and-Jerry-classic[1].jpg
54KB, 511x418px
>>89933126
>Is there anything american that is even remotely popular in Japan?

TOM AND JERRY.

The Japanese at one point just absolutely fucking LOVED Tom and Jerry.
>>
Mad Max is insane in Japan.

To the point a blatant ripoff of Mad Max (that was basically Mad Max with kung-fu) became a founding manga that defined and influenced a bunch of shit from then on.

And since Fury Road came out I've counted at least 4-5 blatant Fury Road references in various animes.
>>
>>89936838
As soon as he shoots someone I can imagine a bunch of sad Spiderman fans drifting out of the cinema.
>>
>>89939353
Why do you guys hate the "U" so much?
>>
>Does Japan love American entertainment?
The answer is literally the same as almost every other country on Earth.
Japan loves Disney movies. Europe loves Disney movies. China loves Disney movies.
>>
>>89939398
That's just awesome.
>>
They fucking love Aardman over there for some reason. Wallace and Gromit have a massive following in Japan
>>
>>89933126
When I was in Tokyo two years ago there was Frozen merch all over the place. They love the snowman.
>>
I remember Inception topped the charts in Japan for a good while.
>>
>>89933698
Because video games.

Japan made video games.
Video games raised a generation of socially awkward children.
Once the "Japanese superiority" thing took hold in their minds, Anime was released into the wild, solidifying the opinion (as well as ostracizing them into an "exclusive club of in-the-knows" that only heightened their hero-worshiping).
Said socially-awkward and ostracized kids went to the internet.

That was my generation; I watched it happen. Your generation mostly just picked it up off of us like a bottom-feeder feeding off a bloated flounder.
>>
>>89933126
Hamboigah
>>
>>89933534
>Moist
>>
now that we have established that japan absolutely loves western media, possibly more than americans love jap stuff

what is the coolest thing they based off western stuff? fist of the north star
>>
>>89935284
Kojima's up there too. For some reason my favorite series are usually western settings filtered through a Japanese lens.
>>
>>89933126
KFC
>>
This might fall under the Disney umbrella, but Japan fucking loves Nightmare Before Christmas for some reason.
>>
>>89933698
they're the only major non-western mass producer of media
>>
>>89941257
What about Bollywood?
>>
>>89941280
I stand corrected
>>
>ctrl-f "Wacky Races"
Come on, guys
>>
>>89940575
SAY MY NAME
>>
>>89941280
>>89941308
The key difference between the two and I think the main reason that Japan has the place it does in the popular consciousness of the West is that it's historically been the only non-white European nation with Western levels of wealth and development
>>
>>89933362
>>89934017

Who says anybody constantly wonders?

Nothing wrong with a spot of curiosity.
>>
>>89933126
Marvel Movies, since Doctor Strange outgrossed Man of Steel over there
>>
>>89939455
Americans are all about me me me
>>
>>89934237
>making things up because you're salty japs don't care about capeshit
>>
>>89934136
>dadrock
That is an embarrassing neologism if ever there was one.
The millenial fear of anything more than a decade old is really the only thing I find annoying about them as a generation.
>>
>>89940575
JOJO
>>
>>89943145
but half the dadrock lovers are pleb millennial music defeners.
>>
File: ring-ni-kakero-6059161.jpg (203KB, 800x1158px) Image search: [Google]
ring-ni-kakero-6059161.jpg
203KB, 800x1158px
>>89939398
>To the point a blatant ripoff of Mad Max (that was basically Mad Max with kung-fu) became a founding manga that defined and influenced a bunch of shit from then on.

Except for the fact that Hokuto no Ken was ripping off Put It All in the Ring and that's where shonen tropes come from.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS4zJud9arU

But leave it to EOPs to know that.
>>
>>89933514
>My Little pony has a big following
How big?
>>
>>89933126

Several of the most popular Manga in Japan right now and in the past were influenced by American comic books. Kenshin, One Piece, my hero academia, bleach, Jojo. There'a a long list.

Frozen was extremely popular.

There's a shitload of comic and cartoon fanart on the biggest Japanese art sites.

Relax OP.
>>
>>89943620
Well It has it's own conventions and there's a My Little Pony Cafe.
>>
>>89933126
they like old american movies
>>
File: gay.jpg (52KB, 600x678px) Image search: [Google]
gay.jpg
52KB, 600x678px
>>89941211
>KFC vs Mcdonald meme
>>
What about Lord of the Rings?
>>
>>89933126

That's because all American cartoons and comics are shit, anon. Especially the ones you like.
>>
>>89933126
Westerns
>>
Gerry Anderson stuff is apparently rather popular and has a fairly large influence on anime.
Thread posts: 110
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.