[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need a recommendation for a graphic novel. Have read From Hell,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_20170213_194137.jpg (69KB, 308x308px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170213_194137.jpg
69KB, 308x308px
Need a recommendation for a graphic novel. Have read From Hell, V for Vendetta and Watchmen.
>>
>>89894027
gonna need to be more specific if you want good answers. What kind of stories do you like?
>>
Most of all with philosophical themes. But should not be too sunny and happy. I prefer melancholic, depressed and gloomy.
I liked the style from 'From Hell' a lot, as wall as the character Rorschach.

Sorry for my english.
>>
File: AsteriosPolyp.jpg (37KB, 381x500px)
AsteriosPolyp.jpg
37KB, 381x500px
>>89894303 Asterios Polyp is a good place to start.
>>
>>89894027
Gaiman's The Sandman. It's not a graphic novel, was a serial series that went 75 issues, but I think you will like it.

It is marginally connected to the DC Universe, but it's not important.
>>
>>89894027
Since I'm guessing you're most used to Alan Moore, if you have an interest in DC comics Alan Moore had some good runs of it.

There's always his Swamp Thing run, which put him on the map.
And there's a Best of Alan Moore collection that's very affordable and.includes stories like Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow and Killing Joke. Those two alone are worth the price if it was $30+ and I can promise you it ain't that expensive.
https://www.amazon.com/DC-Universe-Stories-Alan-Moore/dp/1401209270
>>
>>89894737
Thank you anon
>>
File: 1446407365373.jpg (781KB, 1946x1660px)
1446407365373.jpg
781KB, 1946x1660px
>>89894027
>V for Vendetta and Watchmen
These aren't graphic novels.

Here are some comics. Some of them are graphic novels, some of them aren't.

Some of them are recommended by Alan Moore, who you like.
>"I've always considered Harvey [Pekar] a dear man and a great friend, as well as an amazing influence on me, and a whole generation of autobiographical graphic artists [...] He's a pillar of the comics medium. Without him, the comics landscape would be an impoverished field."
>"Cerebus, as if I need to say so, is still to comic books what Hydrogen is to the Periodic Table, and is one of the only comics that I still read and enjoy regularly every month."
>"I find it difficult to argue that Eisner is not the single person most responsible for giving comics their brains. I can think of no one who has explored the possibilities of this infant medium so tirelessly and rewardingly, nor anyone who has so successfully managed to evolve a working vocabulary for the parts and functions of the comic strip and the fascinating way in which it can all be fitted together… There is no one quite like Will Eisner. There never has been, and on my more pessimistic days I doubt there ever will be."
>"Jim Woodring's stories manage, by some occult means, to be at once unsettlingly alien and intimately familiar. The effect is not unlike opening a new book to find the illustrated account of a dream you had when you were five and told no one about. Cryptic and haunting, Woodring's work evokes a sense of something important and forgotten. Easily the most hypnotic talent to enter the field in years."
>"Anyone out there who hasn't yet bothered to check out the Hernandez Brother's work… should stop being such gutless and ineffectual wimps and go and do so immediately."
>>
>>89894737
Beat me to it
>>
File: bgqstns.jpg (163KB, 791x1004px)
bgqstns.jpg
163KB, 791x1004px
>>89894737
>philosophical themes
>melancholic, depressed and gloomy

Cages
Habibi
Big Questions
Duncan the Wonder Dog
Nod Away

other books that can be loosely related to the Moore novels you mentioned.

Torso
Top Ten
Zot
Rising Stars
The Filth
The Nightly News
RASL
>>
Jimmy Corrigan is always a good choice.
>>
>>89894027
Try The Metabarons.
Think of those tradegies from classic Greece, but in space after humans have left the Earth millions of years ago. The tales of a family of warriors that can destroy planets, galaxies even with their technology and will. Where the successor must kill the father on traditional duel generation after generation.
Plus it's Giménez and Jodorowsky, so you know you're in for a treat regarding art and writing.
And keep going with The Incal, which tells the exploit of the last Metabaron.
>>
Maybe look into more comics from Vertigo?
Most of the more well known are fairly long runs so if one you google up seems interesting and is only one trade long maybe give it a buy.
Preacher is pretty great, and prolly had a reprint what with the TV show out, so should be super easy to find.
Y the Last Man was fantastic. First time I read it I spent the whole day powering through it and ended up reading the whole series within 11 hours. What a ride.
Jacked is pretty recent and pretty good. Single trade and since it didn't get too much notice either went rare and high price or discounted and easy to get.
Fables is mostly good, though I lost track of how fucking long it's been going on.
Similar situation for American Vampire, what with all the tied in mini series.
Sandman is prolly the most well known and really deserves the love it gets.
Same for Morrison's Animal Man run (and if ya like his Animal Man runs, there's a lot of other stuff from Grant so you have plenty new options to look into)
Survivor's Club I personally liked and was kinda bummed how quick it went away, so another single trade to look into if you like horror.
>>
File: maze.jpg (830KB, 1720x1236px)
maze.jpg
830KB, 1720x1236px
>>89894027
One Punch Man
>>
Thanks for your help. I will read through it and select some that sound good.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.