[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pet peeve trope thread >Dead character is cloned >They

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 16

File: Annoyed.gif (498KB, 400x192px) Image search: [Google]
Annoyed.gif
498KB, 400x192px
Pet peeve trope thread
>Dead character is cloned
>They have the exact same memories and personality as the character
>It's like they never died.
>>
>>89889815
Hm, not my biggest pet peeve about comics, but certainly up there.
Such a lazy plot device.

Clone Batman, artificially age him up even, he's not gonna be the Batman that died.
>>
>>89889888
What's your biggest pet peeve then?
>>
File: 1454.gif (559KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1454.gif
559KB, 200x200px
>Character gets an episode/arc devoted to them growing and improving
>Right after its over they're back to just being the same as they were before

>Character is introduced
>Is killed immediately
>Continues to be used outside of the show for ads
>>
>>89889815
Spiderman Clone Conspiracy?
>>
File: no (2).jpg (214KB, 587x568px) Image search: [Google]
no (2).jpg
214KB, 587x568px
This is more of a /tv/ thing but
>Character dies
>The actor was popular so they keep him around to play a mindcontrolled/zombie/illusion version of the character that isn't actually the character
>>
>>89890122
Flash has this down
>>
>Set up a strong moral conflict with a character making a tough decision that not everyone agrees or disagrees with
>lolno they were possessed/mind-controlled/not themelves

Also,
>Ha ha I'mma make you kill an innocent/a bad guy/me, hero! That'll teach ya!
>>
>>89890111
That was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the OP.
>>
>>89889815
"I knew your father!"
>>
>>89890438
or villain turns out to be related to the main character
>>
>We are shown a character's future
>Character has children that look exactly like them, are named junior, or are named after a friend
>>
File: schlock20170212a.jpg (91KB, 780x227px) Image search: [Google]
schlock20170212a.jpg
91KB, 780x227px
>>89889815
>like they never died
Depends how it's handled, if the built worlds allows resurrection might be tolerable.

Example: Schlock Mercenary's Captain Tagon spoiler]died[/spoiler] then cloned from a backup memory: doesn't feel quite the same person.
>>
File: schlock_tagon_clone.jpg (434KB, 781x714px) Image search: [Google]
schlock_tagon_clone.jpg
434KB, 781x714px
>>89891083
should be this pic
>>
>>89889815
Protagonist having a new love interest every 6-7 episodes. If you're gonna be a slut, do it quietly so it doesn't take time from the actual story.
>>
>>89889815
>New character introduced
>New villain introduced
>Spend 4-5 episodes finding out the villains identity
>IT WAS THE NEW GUY THE WHOLE TIME

Fuck this lazy, shitty writing.
>>
>>89891356
It's just the writers recycling all the "guy tries to get a girl" schemes they never dared to use in high school.
>>
>>89891438
Could be fixed if they introduced multiple characters to throw us off, or used misdirection; by having the foresight to introduce the revealed character the prior season, but make the audience believe it's someone else.
>>
>child character
>made to be fucking retarded
kids =/= retarded they can understand many things holy shit not every 12 yo is gonna be like "oh well lemme just go off with this strange man"

>>89891356
god i hate romance tropes
>girl and guy are platonic friends
>suddenly want each others dick because writers ran out of ideas
everytime
>>
>>89889815
>character goes through all seven stages of grief while another character is explaining what they are
If it wasn't such a long and drawn out joke I could deal with its unoriginality.
>>
Too many to count.

>90% of the jokes in the episode/franchise is just taking potshots at other products the creator dislikes

>Character makes new masked hero identity to make the other guys know that he is cool too
>They discover him at the end and accept him
>Next episode is back at being useless and we'll never see that cool costume again

>>89890976
I remember some show doing even worst.
>Character as an adult is a copycat of his dad
>His girlfriend as an adult is a copycat of his mom
>His son is a copycat of him and his daughter is a copycat of his sister
>>
>>89890111
Thing that popped into my head was Ultimate Gwen Stacey.
No, that thing walking around talking like it's Gwen is Carnage. I don't care if it doesn't have any of Carnage's DNA left or if it has Gwen's memories and personality. It's the thing that turned Gwen into a dessicated corpse and you're treating it like it's the person it murdered.
>>
File: iyVSavR.jpg (44KB, 604x340px) Image search: [Google]
iyVSavR.jpg
44KB, 604x340px
>>89891673
>accidental touch
>awkward looks and verbal clumsiness
>look away with frustration
>>
>>89891673
>everytime
I hate that
>>
>>89890133
>tfw you genuinely enjoy each iteration of Cavenaugh's Wells but still wish the previous version lasted longer than one season
The episode where Flash goes back in time in S2 to see Wells was god fucking tier. We finally got to see Cavanaugh act as Thawne with a Flash that's more informed about who he is.
>>
>>89889815
>>It's like they never died.
>>
>>89894520
Ageed, but we did get it when his identity was revealed in season 1
>>
>>89890078
Steven Universe fan?

Mines similar. I hate when a new character is introduced for just one episode. Even worse -the bitchy fake foreign exchange students that disappear and transfer school in shame when the main character finds out he's faking it at the end of the episode. It was a very specific but common trope for a few years in my childhood.
>>
>>89891356
Don't shit on Kirk. Some people are just quick to love.
>>89891600
Or take the Green Goblin approach, only decide on who it'll be after you've introduced the villain and several characters who it could be.
>>
File: Yotsuba.jpg (127KB, 500x726px) Image search: [Google]
Yotsuba.jpg
127KB, 500x726px
>>89891673
In the writers' defence, kids are the hardest characters to write. And even if you can write one type of child character well, chances are you can't translate that to different child characters with different personalities as well.
>>
Stories where a character has to prove themselves to others, especially a child proving themselves to the adults. Boring type of story and everyone's done it
>>
>>89889815
>Character is the butt-monkey who repeatedly gets shat on by everyone else on the show.
>One episode deals with them earning respect/shitting on their abusers/calling them out on their bullshit
>Show portrays them as being in the wrong and things go back to normal, with buttmonkey getting treated like garbage again.

Like holy shit writers, you can reference a dead meme that you made 3 years ago but you can't actually show the buttmonkey actually being happy?

The shit is this fuck?
>>
>>89894648
I watch it, sure. There's some growth, but for some of the characters having episodes/arcs dedicated to them is just a waste of airtime. Hell, that's a lot of shows though.

Transformers Prime is the first show I can think of off the top of my head for the second one I listed. I had played the war for cybertron games beforehand and was a bit psyched at Cliffjumper being one of the main group.
>>
>Two characters switch bodies.
>Their voices also switch.
>No one ever acknowledges this.
>>
File: 10.19.15-kitty-and-dog2-590x379.jpg (52KB, 590x379px) Image search: [Google]
10.19.15-kitty-and-dog2-590x379.jpg
52KB, 590x379px
>>89891673
On the subject of f child characters
>MC has little sister
>9/10 she's an annoying little brat

It's not original damn it
>>
>>89898248
I think that's just for the audience's sake so you don't lose track of who's where.
In-universe they are probably hearing the normal voices.
>>
>>89894815
the you moment you start thinking them as entities you already fucked up, like men that cant write women. kids are pretty much just less experienced adults.(in everything generally- discipline, knowledge, experience, ect)

dan of dan vs couldve easily been a kid
ed edd and eddy coulve eaisly been the three scrouges
shit man, justice league had an episode where they were turned into kids and they were more or less the same as regular kids
yes, even wonderloli especially wonderloli
>>
>>89898321
tbf it does happen
>>
>>89891673
>girl and guy
>want each others dick
>guy
>want dick
>girl
>>>/d/
>>
>>89898321
>little sisters are cunts though, the only people that don't know that are the little sisters.
>>
File: chrome_2017-01-05_21-17-59.png (222KB, 240x494px) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2017-01-05_21-17-59.png
222KB, 240x494px
>boys vs. girls episode
>girls win because boys suddenly become stupid and refuse to work as a team

Every single time.
>>
File: v.jpg (368KB, 2667x2000px) Image search: [Google]
v.jpg
368KB, 2667x2000px
>>89889815
It's not always a bad thing
>>
>>89890122
Still hoping for LMD Ward
>>
>>89892448
I love that shit. Cause yeah, it's not the same person, but it might as well be so they fill the void to everyone else in their world. But it's not really the same person!

It's even more horrifying when nobody notices or comments on it.
>>
File: 1409062469699.jpg (5KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1409062469699.jpg
5KB, 200x200px
>>89902046
>The boys win while letting the girls think they won
>the boys tail after the girls and fix all the shit they caused in their gurlpowur montage
>>
>>89893386
I can't remember the show but they did the whole
>she falls down on him
>OMG HE'S TOUCHING HER TITS!!!!!!!!
trope but the character actually starts squeezing them and says she might as well let him see at this point
>>
>>89902237
That show is openly mocking the tropes, not embracing them.
>>
>>89902046
>boys vs. girls episode
>the boys win by acting like girls or vice versa
>>
>>89904267
Those two things aren't mutually exclusive.
>>
>main arc villain is killed or otherwise defeated
>instantly turns into a weak/joke character to show how far the protags have come or how big and bad the new arc villain is

villains that remain a (potential) threat even after their time in the spotlight is over get me hard
>>
>>89889815
>Dead character is has a twin sometimes even not a twin sibling
>They seem to have the exact same memories and personality as the character
>It's like they never died.
Worse than cloning, at least with clones is possible to rationalize it with cloning/copying memories or some other BS.
>>
>>89889815
It's this
>>89890111
>spiderman

It's fucking Spider-Man, why is this so hard to remember?
>>
>>89904869
Whoa. Chill with the autism there, brochacho.
>>
>>89904911
The thread is about pet peeves, so why would I?
That's exactly what this thread is for.

Mind you, it wouldn't even be that bad if it only happened once in a while, but it's a constant.
It's all the damn time.
>>
>character goes on a magical life-changing adventure where they grow as a person
>they forget it ever happened because magic
God damn it
>>
>>89902046
>boys vs. girls episode
>the boys have to become sexist just for the episode's conflict, and are not really sexist before or after this episode.
>>
File: 1300727141159.png (190KB, 476x355px) Image search: [Google]
1300727141159.png
190KB, 476x355px
>>89889815
>female character is an independent bitch that makes guys feel bad for various reasons such as showing interest in girls
>this is somehow not a character fault
>she has no other actual faults and just comes across as this asshole who's supposed to be a positive female role model

This is why bad girls are so much more popular. I don't get interested in characters for their strengths, I get interested for their weaknesses. That's why Moonstone will always be the best Ms. Marvel.
>>
>>89905121
I really love the episodes where girls show their "girl power" by beating up a guy who makes sexist comments, rather than prove that they can do whatever, try to educate them or otherwise act like a rational and mature person in order to make their point.
>>
>>89905121

How much did you love that Thunderbolts run with Kev Walker/Jeff Parker?
>>
>>89905121
>I get interested for their weaknesses. That's why Moonstone will always be the best Ms. Marvel.
I'm not too well acquainted with either, but Karla seems to be way less flawed than Carol.
>>
File: 516[1].png (218KB, 516x456px) Image search: [Google]
516[1].png
218KB, 516x456px
>character has ability to create clones
>they aren't illusions or parlor tricks, and have demonstrable sentience
>no explanation on whether or not the original entity gains those memories/experiences unto their own, or if they could resummon the same clone back into existence

couldn't find an angry image, just smug
>>
This entire run.
>>
>>89889815
None of the hot chicks ever get a full frontal shower scene
Even the lesbians.
>>
>>89905526

Karla is always going from good to bad and generally being in the middle. She's intended to be that way. Carol was intended to be a role model.

I also like Emma Frost over Jean Grey.
>>
>>89904609
I always relate this to charmed.

My wife watched the entire series on netflix out of boredom.

First season, the spend the entire season gearing to fight a.... a,... a FUCKING DEMON!

Last season, one teleports into their house while they are discussing dinner plans, a character literally flicks her wrist and a white ball of light turns it into an ashpile, and they continue their conversation like it wasn't even a mild annoyance.

That shit is so stupid.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.