[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk about Fox's Peter & Pirates and Sab

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

File: hqdefault (4).jpg (9KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (4).jpg
9KB, 480x360px
Let's talk about Fox's Peter & Pirates and Saban's Peter Pan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlgEH2IAKHI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z-3Wu7gxx4

Which one did you prefer, /co/? Let's talk pros and cons.
>>
>>89863545
Peter Pan & the Pirates was better than Disney's Peter Pan.

Never heard of Saban's.
>>
>>89863567
Disney's Peter Pan movie? or did they make a cartoon series I was never aware of?

As for Saban it's better for the atmosphere and tension, not much for the creativity aspect though.
>>
>>89863545

I remember liking Saban's Peter Pan more because it had an ongoing storyline.
>>
>>89863545
Fox's had a surprisingly good writing.
>>
I've never seen the Saban one...which sort of surprises me in retrospect...

Peter Pan and the Pirates *was* over all a really good show, with wonderful designs and a great voice cast, perhaps the best Captain Hook (but really, it was Tim freaking Curry at the helm; how are you gonna top that???) though against it, I can say that Pan himself was written at times as insufferable, or at worse he was a total jack-ass depending on the episode.
>>
I loved the Fox show when it was airing, but I'd never heard of Saban having a Peter Pan show.

They're both beautifully animated.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlgEH2IAKHI
I thought Peter Pan and the Pirates was superior for being creative with the plots and ideas, they weren't scared of going full cheese and over the top with the stuff like an ice clone of Peter or the whole world of Neverland dying because Peter is growing up and stops believing in magic. Plus all the kids could fly for the entire series, while in Saban's everything was watered down. The stakes weren't so high and every episode wasn't a matter of life and death and saving the world from certain doom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z-3Wu7gxx4Saban's Peter was also good for the atmosphere, plus his captain James Hook didn't wear a dumb wig and didn't have the face of a dumb granny or any of that pretentious british crap. Saban also had some pretty interesting world settings and ideas, albeit much tamer than the Pirates which was always full-on adventure journeys.
Yeah come to think of it Saban's Peter had some pros too like not being so cheesy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOm3Uuj9t6s [Embed]
The behaviour of the characters still shares some anime influences due to japanese animators and storyboard artists, but luckily it still retains some western writing to not dumb it down too much.
>>
>>89863545
I liked Fox, never watched the other.

Venus Flytrap was Saban's voice director?
>>
>That Saban Peter
Anyone else getting Luffy vibes from that guy's design?
>>
>>89864154
I love the animation in Saban and I think that's the Peter Pan show I vaguely remember as a kid (Though it still could have been the Pirates) but those sound effects ruin it. Were they in the show proper?
>>
>>89865074
I'm getting Howard & Nester from Nintendo Power vibes, which was done by a jap.
>>
>>89863753
But in the books, Peter WAS an insufferable jackass most of the times...
>>
I hate Peter Pan. He cuts off a guy's hand, feeds it to a crocodile, and laughs about it. And kidnaps children, too. Fucking psycho. Hook should've just killed him right there.
>>
>>89864154
>still shares some anime influences due to japanese animators and storyboard artists
The series was made and produced in Japan by Fuji TV, under the original title "The Adventures of Peter Pan". That means japanese writers, japanese directors, etc... Saban only dubbed it for international release in some countries.

>>89865200
They could be an extra of Saban's dubbing for all we know. (Never seen the original japanese version, so I'm not sure).
>>
>>89867940
In other words... this thread could easily fit /a/ too...
>>
>>89863545
Wait, in both shows they're dressed in brown? What about one where he's dressed in green or red?
>>
>>89863545
I lived this show as a kid.

No other show, that I can recall from those days, had such a large cast of unique characters that are all (all!) given their own time to be explored.
>>
>>89867734
The characters were all, for the most part, played as they are supposed to be.

>Smee was actually irish
awesome little details.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72_pv_82ZXQ

Fox hook was awesome despite the lack of facial hair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjBeOIKiOGw

remember when Pan tried to kill Hook with a fucking Bamboo Ballista?
>>
>>89871513
>JEWS
>molesting clouds

I need to see this show
>>
File: JamesHook.jpg (12KB, 345x257px) Image search: [Google]
JamesHook.jpg
12KB, 345x257px
>>89871513
>Fox hook was awesome despite the lack of facial hair.
Tim Curry Hook has been the BEST hook on screen portrayal to date.

This vid is not synced to the audio, but for voice purposes it's fine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hF9pU9H9Bjw#t=305

Also, this Hook was the most physically imposing character in the series; bigger than all the other pirates.

He was actually menacing.
>>
>>89872230
Oh, just listen from when the vid starts to about 6:40.
>>
>>89863545
I watched the heck out of Fox's Peter Pan, although it wasn't until recently that I figured out what show it was. Heck, I thought it was an official Disney cartoon until relatively recently. I'd never years of the Saban cartoon, kind of odd how I saw so much else Peter Pan stuff as a kid, but I might've just forgotten about it.

Poor Tinkerbell seems to never get any respect she deserves, though.

>>89868299
>Wait, in both shows they're dressed in brown?
This was shortly after the Disney film, and they likely did not want to risk a lawsuit from Disney for stealing the character. Peter Pan himself is from a public domain book, but the specific character style (complete with green handknit clothing) is a Disney design. Dress Pan in brown and with a different outfit, though, and it's perfectly fine.

Also, both green and brown are leaf-shade colors, which is probably why the choice of brown came up twice. And why you don't see, say, a blue-and-purple Peter Pan.
>>
File: peterpan2003.jpg (51KB, 428x562px) Image search: [Google]
peterpan2003.jpg
51KB, 428x562px
>>89873551
It's been ages since I read the original Barrie story, but I believe that the only rendition that gets peter's costume right was the live action film from 2003.
All leaves all strung together and not much else, certainly not a full costume.
I think that, and disney's now iconic version, came from the original stage plays costumes.
>>
>>89871513
>>89872230

So fuckin' glad I didn't need to be the first person to mention this. Tim Curry's Captain Hook is relentlessly wonderful.

And the best episodes are full of insane 80s/early 90s cartoon plots except they actually make sense because the magic in Neverland is also insane.

>Pan and Hook use the same shooting star/spell to get three wishes, so they get one-and-a-half each. Half-wishes are not a good idea.

>Time goes crazy because the only clock in Neverland--the one inside the crocodile--has run down and needs to be wound back up.

>The pirates play a game of baseball against the Lost Boys because Hook thinks "bases" have alchemy powers and the rules of the game allow them to be "stolen".

etc
>>
>>89872230
I think Tim Curry/Fox's Hook was too cheesy, hell most of the show was very lame, and unrealistic in order to reach up unfeasible plots like Hook and Pan putting up a shakespeare act.
Physically and mentally he does seem more insane and stuck inside his own world, which makes him psychotic and sociopathic. More-so than Transformer's Megatron.

In Saban's Peter Pan they wouldn't even look at each other without being at each other's throats in a few seconds. That's because Saban's Hook is more realistic and not so insane in the head There's villains which act all buddy buddy and have conversations with the hero and then there's villains that burn like hell if they interact with someone (anti social combat-oriented villains)
>>
>>89874399
>when you were a kid in school at the time, learned acids and bases in chemistry, and caught on that Hook's "bases in alchemy" was a reference to the acids and bases in chemistry
Actually, it was probably pretty obvious if I watched it now, but I don't think I got how bases related to alchemy the first time seeing it as a child.
>>
>>89874508
The entire story of Fox's Peter Pan was based around the idea that Neverland was all based on Peter. There was even an episode where Neverland started to disappear entirely once Peter began growing up. It sort of makes sense that Hook would be such an incompetent goof and that he would be so cheesy. He isn't a person, as much as he is Pan's concepts of an adult person. As such, he does stuff like devoting all his time towards hunting down Peter and trying to capture him/swordfight him, and yet takes a break to play a game when it suits what Peter Pan is currently doing.
>>
>>89874399
Yeah, the writers made a damned good effort.
Shit was imaginative enough that it didn't feel like committee and charts based episode writing.

>>89874605
>The entire story of Fox's Peter Pan was based around the idea that Neverland was all based on Peter.
The 03 live action movie went along with this IIRC; basically having Neverland be tied to Peter's presence and emotional states. Like, it "wakes up" and thaws out from its winter cycle when Peter returns from his forays into the real world, and the skies turn stormy when he's angry blood red during his final battle with Hook.

It's a neat little notion, and I don't think that this idea that the character being tied to the fabric of the reality of the world they're inhabiting came from the Barrie story. Perhaps the film writers got the notion from this very series?
>>
File: peter-pan-2003-4.png (239KB, 748x292px) Image search: [Google]
peter-pan-2003-4.png
239KB, 748x292px
>>89874722
And about that fucking film, I remember it being pretty damn lewd, at least compared to every other variant before it, including that Robin Williams Hook movie (incidentally, a "Peter Pan grows up and forgets everything and has to be reintroduced to Neverland etc.," story would do nicely as a cartoon).

I don't recall them ever pushing a romance angle between Peter and Wendy in the Fox show; I remember Wendy trying to play the exasperated mother figure as per the book. Refreshing idea, considering the shitfest shipwars that abound today.
>>
>>89874857
>"Peter Pan grows up and forgets everything and has to be reintroduced to Neverland etc.," story would do nicely as a cartoon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjBeOIKiOGw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T3xiQS_MWU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNHY6vx8OaU
>>
>>89875251
I know about those episodes, but the idea as the basis for a whole series.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.